Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janie_on

Idyll 238 - Happy Thanksgiving week

janie_on
18 years ago

For our US Idyllers....football and turkey - does it get any better??

Comments (101)

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Our local weather forecast was pretty accurate. There's at least an inch of wet snow and it's still coming down. Morning drive will be ugly!

I decided this morning that being out of eggs last night was a good thing. I had taken the can of pumpkin and can of evaporated milk out of the cabinet but it turns out the second can was the jellied cranberries. I think I would have had the can open before I noticed.

Gonna run and hit the shower a little early this morning!

V.

• wendy2
    18 years ago

Good morning and TGIW - and a four day weekend! Just wanted to stop by quickly and wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. I've been reading along, but every time I try to collect my thoughts to post I get interrupted.

I have to go to work all day (one of the disadvantages of being 1/2 of the office staff - the other 1/2 of the staff (my SIL) is in Florida having Thanksgiving with my MIL and FIL. We celebrate the day locally with my parents and my brother, rather quiet actually. The office is open all day unfortunately, so I am stuck there until 5pm. Luckily I am not cooking the big dinner, only bringing a dessert which I can make tonite.

I hope everyone has dried out from their water woes. We actually had a leak at the office yesterday, and two ceiling tiles fell down and made a big, soggy mess. At least it was away from any desks or equipment!

Happy Birthday to Janie & Marian!

Honey, sorry about your toe. I can certainly sympathize with foot troubles. The advice to elevate is right on, and don't overdo it by running around too much until you are healed!

Jerri, so sad about your Sassy. The image of your cat frolicking in the great beyond with all the other cats who have gone before made me smile though.

Sorry for not commenting more, but I am reading along and thinking of all of you.

Have to run now, kids are wanting breakfast. Have a good one!

-Wendy

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Good morning to cookers and bakers and shakers!!

Here, Kyle is doing pumpkin pies and I'm just doing pecan, frozen maple mousse, roast walnuts and whole cranberry sauce. Lots of little quick things. I'm actually NOT missing thawing a turkey or peeling tons of potatoes.

I'm with all of you who do fine tables, but am also with 'bug when it comes to loss. My favorite table pieces are cut glass salt holders with teeny spoons to scoop. Most people don't know what to do with them and it's fun to see 6'4" tough guys revert to Victorian gentlemen :-) On the other hand, our family vintage colored glass is used as plant holders.

Marian: Hope Nolan is feeling better and I'm glad, glad, glad that you'll get to see Tim.

RE: Pie crust - It's Pillsbury, Oronaque or nothing in this house :-))))

Brenda: Anything with chocolate, no matter what the "image", is worth putting on the table.

Babs: Make it two for two in the Great Job Hunt! It sounds wonderful and rather than jinxing your chances, I think all the good thoughts from here will only make it happen!

EEEEek. Just looked at the time. Am still getting used to being in an office first thing in the morning (only for two weeks ...) so gotta run.

Best to All and Deanne -- we will meet for lunch!!!! I'll be setting my plans, soon. Sue and Monique, too.

Martie

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

We're supposed to be getting an arctic blast through here today and tomorrow. January weather they say. I have to make a trek to the grocery store, or maybe I can talk Brad into going for me, for pie making supplies. My mom and dad will be down later today and I'm kind of worried because it looks like they'll be driving down in snow. It's about a 230 mile trip for them. I hope they get started early.

Chelone, I turned 18 in 1975. Those 1970's were a crazy, crazy time. There was plenty of alcohol at every high school party in those days even for the 15 and 16 year olds. When my girls were growing up I was very thankful that the drinking age had been changed back to 21.

Brenda, that's some marathon cooking you've been doing there. The candy all sounds yummy and makes me want to do some for Christmas. How's your back holding up with all the standing in the kitchen? Nothing bothers my back as much as spending all day cooking.

Sue, no fun to have a cold with company coming. Hope you're feeling better this morning.

Vacuumng, as always, is high on my priority list today. And Bella will be here this evening. She's getting another tooth and she's not happy about it, lol. Everyone have fun today getting ready for Turkey Day tomorrow. I'll be back later.

Eden

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

T, as you are enjoying your coffee start thinking about your curvy beds. It's worth the effort, according to the latest university research: "From a consumer's perspective, a good landscape can improve perceived home value by 12%," said MSU professor Bridget Behe. "What we see in design sophistication is that a curved bed costs about the same as a straight line bed to install, but can enhance home value by 1%-2% by itself. Simply curving bed lines could add $2,500 to $5,000 to the perceived value of a $250,000 home."

V. the troublemaker

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Morning Idyll friends,

Well, I felt so noble last night, I went to dinner at CR Sparks (Cynthia, you remember that place?) Anyway I had a Ceasar salad with no croutons and no dressing so I essentially paid for romaine lettuce with shaved parmesan cheese on it and I was OK with that. Then instead of ordering the filet steak I normally get there I had the salmon with no sauce and no rice I asked them to prepare it with a green veggie so I had it served with steamed broccoli with no butter on anything. And the good news, is that I enjoyed the meal enormously. Progress is being made.

We probably got about another inch of rain last night. Thank heavens it wasn't snow. It did start sleeting for a bit but nothibg stuck. It looks like I'll never finish up the garden cleanup this year and I'll have to get to this in the spring.

All the Thanksgiving shopping is done. Doug got the salmon smoked Monday night (YOu guys who attended the Idyllunion remember Doug's Smoked Salmon? YUM)and today I'm going to do all my baking and get the behemoth Blue Hubbard Squash cooked. Long day today. DD is supposed to come this afternoon and help me with polishing up the house. Things are moving along to a great celebration tomorrow. Can't wait! I just love Thanksgiving.

So all you kitty people out there have you ever heard of Nurto Natural Choice Complete Care cat food??? I just bought a bag of the chicken and they boys LOVE it. The person at the pet store said it is all natural food and made with the chicken parts we'd eat yada yada... Anyway, it was a good price and she gave me a 2 dollar coupon so I bought it and to my surprise Luke and Rahjii prefer it to all their other food. I was pretty surprised.

I don't remember if I told you yet that we finally got all the fish in the house on Sunday and OMG, they are ENORMOUS. Everyone who sees them makes jokes about having them for dinner. I seriously did not know goldfish could get this big. The big girls are probably a foot long and their bodies are about 4.5 to 5 inches deep. I'm hoping I can keep them in good health through the winter because they really are too many huge fish for the size of the aquarium.

Sue, bummer about getting sick. I hope you can shake that off soon. There has been a lot of virus going around already this season. Too neat you can order all your groceries delivered. I wish I had a service like that here. How much does the delivery cost or is that built into the price of the food.

Martie, cool! That will be great to get to meet you.

Chelone, we learned how to zig-zag on Monday, so now we can do the basic box step, a rock turn and a zig-zag. WE are supposed to learn several other new steps next week. Cool. I'm still having a bit of trouble following but am getting better at it.

Eden, I sure hope the snow holds off until your parents finish their drive. That's a worry.

Wendy, so great to hear from you. How very strange you had a water leak at your office too. Turns out two of my immediate neighbors had their water heaters fail last week and had basements full of water. Jeesh!

So V, pumpkin and cranberry pie? It might have been interesting. Cold here too and we are supposed to have snow tomorrow. I'm not ready for this!

Bug I wish I could come to your French club with you. I might be able to regain some of my usage of the language. I did speak French when I was a child in grade school but it has long since left me. My grandpere's name was Onesime Napoleon Michaud. Now that's a mouthfull.

Marian, thanks for the pie link. Looks good. I might try that for Christmas. If I don't make pumpkin and pecan pie for Thanksgiving people are disappointed. My friend's daughter is going to make the apple pie.

OK time to get to the gym. I REALLY don't feel like it today but must do it.

Later
    Deanne

• vegangirl
    18 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving to everybody, and Happy Birthday to Janie and Marian.

Jerri, I'm so sorry about your kitty. I know the pain.

Chelone, your DH won't be getting any of "our" trees. lol! DD and I have been working in the Christmas trees since early Nov. It's often a daylight until well after dark job. She ties the tags on and I count as they are loaded on the tractor-trailers. So far we've shipped trees to Home Depots in MA, NJ, MD, PA; and to Lowes in IN, AL, SC, MS. Most of our loads have been 625 or 650 trees. Re the smell..I LOVE the smell of Fraser fir:-) It's a very cold job but when it gets really cold we have a tractor we can take turns sitting in to warm up. whoever sits in the tractor runs the counter. We have to be "on call", we're only a half a mile or so from the loading area so when a truck comes in, somebody just drives down, beeps the horn and we take off. The trucks are notorious for never being on time and if we have to sit and wait for one, we still get paid our hourly wage. Last week, 5 semis showed up just at dark and had to be loaded. It takes 2 to 2 1/2 hours to load a truck, so you can see when that work day was over!

Gotta run!!
    VG

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Gray skies with white flecks in the air, ice on the pond and creek, wind, temperature 19F and snowsquall warnings in effect. Oh joy....

• chelone
    18 years ago

I'm riding hard on finishing the living area. No "nook of granny" is safe from the the Kirby and its many attachments. The cats fled, all except old Floey, who remains undaunted. Wrecks has been restlessly keeping about 12' ahead of the noise. I have collected no fewer than 5 tennis balls from under various pieces of furniture and similarly inaccessible places, also several bottle caps (hockey pucks for kitties).

While I was shoving the wand around I was thinking about attachment to china, silverware, heirlooms. I confess, I am irritated when things are broken through carelessness, but when something falls in the line of duty, I'm OK with it. Nothing is forever and if you allow things to remain on shelves for "display" purposes, then you don't own them, THEY own you. The 'rents were great that way. Mum had 3 aunts who never married and were career women in the '20s and '30s. After my grandfather hanged himself and left my grandmother with 3 kids two weeks before the stock market crashed the aunts stepped up to the plate and provided the money to support their sister and their neices and nephew. They travelled extensively and always brought back "lovelies" from Europe. As a child, I was transfixed by the collection of tea cups in the china cabinet. It was the morning ritual to select the cup to hold my hot chocolate. I was probably the only kid of 5-6 who had cocoa in Spode, Wedgwood, or Minton cups in our neighborhood. One morning I stumbled over the threshold to the dining room and the teacup crashed to the floor. I was paralyzed and burst into tears. Unfazed, Mum took my face in her hands and told me it was the job of teacups to hold hot liquid and sometimes they were broken in service. I selected the replacement and we made more cocoa. Birthday parties were always "dress up" occasions and the family silver and linen always appeared on the dining room table. Several of my friends were not permitted into the living rooms in their homes... our home? building blocks, model horses, and Tonka trucks were always driving the created highways on the big oriental rug and under the Empire coffee table and sofa. My brother and I lived in our home and we used things. This is the time of year nostalgia appears, thanks for the reminder!

Back to the task at hand. Poor Rex will have to relinquish his "bed" (the Empire sofa!). ;)

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

Appreciate the 'morning news' but limiting internet time. Wishing all a happy week. EP

• taryn
    18 years ago

Great story Chelone! And VG, how interesting about the xmas trees. The things we city folk don't even think about!

So V, based on your curvy bed theory I should get full asking price for my completely (and curvy) sans grass front garden? LOL! Nice theory...

Deanne you should be proud! And now you've got me drooling over Doug's smoked salmon, which was without a doubt the BEST I've ever had!

Brenda, holy chocolate! I don't think I could manage a factory operation like that, but if it makes one unable to look at chocolate anymore, it may be worth a shot. :)

Marian, sorry you had a bad day with Nolon, and on your birthday to boot. Wish there was a way it could be easier for you both.

And Honey, sorry I forgot to comment on your poor toe! I managed to break my 4th little piggy when I rammed it into the corner baseboard in 2002, and was amazed at how such a tiny little digit could hurt so bad! It was February, the height of winter, ice, sleet and snow, and I couldn't even get a sock on for a week. Thank God for my neighbors and friends who pitched in and got the kids to school and back for me for a couple of weeks. Hope you're on the mend soon.

T, I know how you feel. Being confined to my lovely blue prison all winter, it's nice to know you guys are 'out there' when I need a break from Ebay, and I'd feel pretty disconnected if I was disconnected. I think after we move and get settled I'm going to look for a job, at least part time, now that the boys are older. I could work at a ginseng or tobacco farm, get my exercise, sunshine quota, good money and social contact too! Hope your emails are getting through now.

Speaking of winter and icy and snow, they are calling for 2-4 inches of snow tonight, and a low of 21 degrees. High today only 28F, and wind, snowsqualls, blowing snow tomorrow. I HAVE to make a decision about where to winter my plants very soon, as they won't keep forever in the greenhouse (unless I heat it, which will be expensive but not if for a week or two). So, should I keep the faith that we'll get an offer soon, and be closing at the new place 2 weeks later as agreed upon and hold off? Or should I get my pots in my neigbhor's veggie patch SOON and leave it until spring? I'm going to be pouring bags of soil around them to create a temporary raised bed so it doesn't matter if the ground is frozen, as the bags won't be. And the snow usually doesn't stay until January. But how cold can they take it without succuming? The plants are all in the unheated greenhouse, surrounded by cold air right now. No frost heave or wind, but cold. Thoughts please?

After two days with 14 hour sleeps I feel semi-human today, and am going to try to blitz my Ebay listings today so I'm free the next couple of days before uploading them Friday. I've been putting off a girlfriend for coffee as I just haven't felt up to it, and also want to get ahead on xmas shopping before the crowds come. I really despise shopping at malls, and plan to order some gifts from my Lakota distributor, at wholesale prices. It just dawned on me they sell all kinds of natural soaps, cosmetics, aromatherapy oils and other nice little hostess gifts PLUS VITAMINS & HERBAL SUPPLEMENTS and I get them at 40% off retail! What the heck am I doing paying full price for flaxseed oil??? Duh...Have to peruse the catalogue and see what I can scoop.

But first, coffee (again!) and breaky call...

Have a great day everyone!

Taryn

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

Yesterday was moving day for Laura, Mike and Kenzie into the new house. Both Kenzie and Lucky (the dog) were out of sorts. My main job was to entertain Kenzie. I did do some work too. The house is very nice and Laura did a great job picking out the flooring, cabinets etc.

We just got a HDTV at work this week. Since we are a cable company, we have a TV in the front office. Discovery has lots of very pretty scenery that looks pretty nice in HD.

Chelone, what sweet childhood memories. Thanks for sharing. Interesting about the unusual victorian utensils. When DH was in Vietnam, he brought back a large chest of silverware (gold in color) It has never been used as it has so many unusual pieces that we really cant figure out what to use.

Deanne, pumpkin and pecan are the standards here also along with broccoli souffle. If we dont have the souffle, even the kids complain.

Monique, I dont recall that the shrub was that large, maybe 3-4. One volunteer there told me that they treat most things at the arboretum as annuals, so that maybe be the case.

V, you are sure the enabler today.

Honey, sorry to hear about the toe.

Cynthia, I was at Walmart getting groceries at 10:30 last night and it too was pretty quiet.

Brenda, I get such a kick out of your stories about your mom and aunts sense of humor.

Eden "Plus I have Bella as my helper today. " after trying to help Laura unpack moving boxes, I know what kind of "helper" you have. Kenzie wanted to help unpack boxes too. I think she thought it was like her birthday. She truly enjoyed playing with whatever it was that she unpacked.

Marian, I confess that I use the Pillsbury rolled

Taryn, I had a dream last night and you were in it. I was visiting you at your home and you lived by the ocean. Now where did that come from? :o)

RE: pies, I definitely will make homemade crusts. I can identify with what you are saying V, when I go to a church or fundraising supper that advertises pies, I want a good piece of homemade pie. These days you have to look pretty hard to find one though. Im thinking maybe I should try those Pillsbury crusts. Always real whipped cream here. So much nicer now that I have a Kitchenaid mixer to do the work for me.

As for a fine table, when my kids were young, I always used crystal etc. when my family came over. I love using it. My kids were always pretty calm and realized it was "special" and they needed to act accordingly and they were the only kids. When Ricks family comes, there are 7 grandsons and 1 gd and it can be a little roudy. I use stoneware and a more casual tablecloth when they come.

Have a great Thanksgiving all.

Michelle

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Michelle, does your gold flatware look something like the link below? I have a similar set (same case, number of pieces, etc.) but the style is plain instead of bamboo. We received it as a wedding gift from a family friend who was working in Thailand at the time.

We use ours quite a bit, but it has to be hand washed.

V.

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

V, that is similar. Maybe I'll have to haul it sometime and suprise my company. Let them figure out what to use each piece for.

M

• flowerluvr
    18 years ago

Afternoon, all! The first blast of winter came through this morning, snow and all. DH was kind enough to help me load up all the pies and take them over to the community building. Brakes went out on the truck on the way...it's always something. Must have a leak in one of the brake lines. He refilled the brake fluid, and told me not to take it anywhere. That leaves us his truck :( It's like driving a log wagon, and doesn't have a cap on it. Could be interesting dragging the turkeys over there in the morning. It's supposed to be snowing like crazy again tomorrow. I'm glad the pies are all over there, though. Now I don't have to worry about the dogs pulling a stunt. They were circling the island-evidently hoping a pie would find it's way onto the floor so they could eat it.

Marian, that cranberry apple pie sounds great! The kids are both pretty good cooks, and I figure they've "free loaded" enough, time to bring something, lol! I think it's just fun to have lots of different things.

V-NO ONE polished off the last of the eggs. NO ONE is a jerk. Around here, NO ONE leaves about 1/4 t. of milk and puts it back in the fridge, liberally scatters toast crumbs in the butter, etc. I thought maybe when Phillip moved out, NO ONE would go with him. No such luck. I'm pretty sure who to point the finger at now, though ;) I think the kids used to get crabbed at about a lot of stuff they didn't do, lol!

Marie, I think your idea for a memorial for your Mom is a great one, too and I'm sure it will be much appreciated.

Sue, sorry to hear about your cold. Thank goodness for Nyquil. I'm not sure if it makes me feel any better, but it does seem to knock me out so I don't know HOW I feel.

Chelone-my years working in a factory weren't wasted :) I can turn ANY project into an assembly line, and as long as people stay out of the way, I get things done in pretty short order. The biggest problem with the chocolates was finding places to put them until they set up enough to go into the box. I don't have that many places that the dogs can't reach, and they were pretty interested in that whole deal, too. I think Gus thinks that peanut butter is for dogs, and I don't think he quite understood what I was doing, lol!
    I like the story about the teacups, and your Mum is exactly right. I've got a set of china and silver from my stepmother, and it's what we always ate off of every day at her house. Now that I've got a dining room in my future, I think it's time to bring it all back out into service. Things are replaceable.

Eden-My back is holding up surprisingly well, as standing in one spot for a long time does bother me sometimes. I think it's just glad to be in a different position-sitting in a tractor or combine for hours also bothers it. Lol, maybe I'm just slowly falling apart! I ordered chocolate online, I think the name of it was Callebaut-that's probably spelled wrong, but may be close enough for someone to recognize. It's delicious chocolate, and well worth spending a little extra on. The stuff I was buying locally was just too waxy, and had very little chocolate taste to it at all.

Deanne, smoked salmon sounds wonderful! Jim wants to try doing one, so we're gonna have to have a dinner party. I just don't see the two of us being able to deal with that much salmon.

Taryn, my chocolate factory is a pretty fun place to work. I set the computer to "shuffle" all my Jimmy Buffett tracks, make lots of coffee, and away we go! My singing isn't anything to brag about, but I have a good time :) And, by tomorrow, I'll probably be able to eat chocolate again. I don't think there's a long-term cure for me.

Honey, I must have missed how you broke your toe, (I'm not all caught up yet) but I'm sorry to hear it. If your feets ain't happy........you ain't happy.

Michelle-my Mom and Aunt are really a hoot. My Aunt used to own a bar in South Bend (fair sized city for those who aren't familiar). There was a guy in there one night who started a fight, and had a gun. Aunt Martha grabbed him by the collar and pitched him out the door. Spunky, to say the least!
    Don't you just LOVE your KitchenAid mixer?? I've got the big stand mixer, and I don't use it all the time, but wouldn't be without it when it's time to do serious baking. Jim got it for me the second Christmas we were married. Money was tight that year, and we had decided we weren't going to get each other anything, we'd just get stuff for the kids. Then, he comes in with this HUGE box. Of course, I started bawling, cuz I had wanted one of those for a long time. When I mentioned that we weren't supposed to get each other anything, he pointed out that he was probably going to get a lot of benefit out of it. I don't think he's been disappointed.

Guess I should get busy again. I need to pack up the box of junk I gotta drag along. Have to take our own dishcloths, hand mixer, coffee, creamer, etc.

If I don't get back, hope everyone in the US has a Happy Thanksgiving, and everyone in Canada has a great November 24th :)
    Brenda

• chelone
    18 years ago

Bummer about the brakes, Brenda. We just had a run on that particular repair, too. We drive cars until they either rust away or repairing them costs more than they're worth. (my car is 12, and the helpmeet's is 13). He just had the brake lines replaced and so did I! (are we going to a rash of brake work now that the plumbing crises are resolved?). I approach work the same way you do! I think about what has to be done and then organize the work and just plough through it (I worked "in the line", piece rate in garment construction for a number of years; piece rate means TIME=MONEY, you figure out how to work efficiently pretty quickly or you find another line of work, lol).

I laughed at the notion of Bella and Kenzie "helping"; sort of the way cats "help". You have to love the curiosity and desire to part of everything, speaks highly of children who are loved and doted on. As it ought to be. :)

I have virtually everything done I needed to get done. My brother has decided that he and Mum are going to celebrate Thanksgiving at HIS house. So there will be just 3 of us tomorrow. He was concerned I might be upset by his decision. LOL! the way I see it, holidays are about leisure and NO PRESSURE. I always extend the invitation, and if he shows, GREAT, if he doesn't, I think that's great, too. The matriarch will be "handed off" over the weekend, at a time to be arranged.

It's COLD here! not numbing, but the sort of damp, cold you get next to the ocean. It's the kind of cold that keeps you cold once you're chilled. I was cleaning and Rex started barking, I looked out the window and my boss and co-worker pulled into the yard in the company truck. THEY TOOK DOWN THE CANOPY FOR ME! While they were doing that, I heated soup, made a sandwich for my co-worker, and melted some Swiss cheese over some whole grain bread for my boss. I made pot of coffee and set the water to boil for my boss' tea. When they finished, they came in and sat down to a warm, "proper" lunch. What a nice surprise... . They were surprised to have lunch laid before them... hot and ready to eat.

Jeez! I missed Vegan's post and Deanne's, too.

Vegan., the truck he was greeting today was from Colebrook, NH... long ride down through Dixville Notch to the coast of Maine. I dropped by the nursery today and he was cold and his feet were wet (bad combo. when it's raw out). He came home at noon and I had wools socks warmed up for him. Only people who work outdoors a lot really understand how cold it can get; and when it's a seasonal business... well, you "make hay while the sunshines" and cut Christmas trees whenever you have to to meet orders!

Deanne, I don't know what zig-zag is. Is it a variation on the box step? the one where you sort of do the box "diagonally"? Have you learned the "Promenade" yet? that's a really cool step, because you travel, but you "open", too. And once you learn the underarm turn you can really put together some moves. I love the "diagonal box" (can't remember the proper name... "open box"?). It takes a lot of time and PATIENCE to learn how to lead and to follow. You have to have a good sense of humor or you'll never get out of the box. What other dances are you learning? and what's your favorite? (PS: it's Blue HubbaHd, Deanne, you oughtta know that!).

I have done NOTHING outdoors, so I'm jealous of all of you with clean yahds. ;)

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

My mom and dad made it down safely. They just left here to go to my sisters. My mom made a really good pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling and we had a piece with some coffee. She also brought a cute little fleece jacket and hat she had made for Bella and a "tag blanket". Bella's more fascinated with the tags on things than she is toys so this blanket has different ribbons and other materials sown all around the perimeter for her to explore. The roads are getting a little slippery here. I had to go out for some thistle for the finches, they were hovering around their empty feeder and I felt sorry for them. I was glad to get back home safely. I don't like driving on snowy roads.

Eden

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Oh dear. I think it is turning into the ancient vehicles thread.

I just received a call that the $700+ (that I don't have) that I am investing in a new crank shaft for the mower is not the only problem it turns out. Now they tell me! So 'we' now must decide what next. A new mower of this type is approximately $10,000. This year alone the repairs have been about $1500. Does this make sense? Sheeeesh!

DH is also feeling the time has come for our minivan which is beginning to cost too much in repairs. It is 8 years old, fairly young to us.

Add this to mandatory retirement and the phasing out of his medical benefits...

All very interesting. Tra-la!

The sun has emerged for a while this afternoon, but it is still below freezing. Certainly feels like January! I will be thankful...even if it isn't officially Thanksgiving here...that our furnace is still working! Long may it last!

• just_t
    18 years ago

Oh 'bug, I'm sorry you are having all of these things raining down on you right now. Sending good thoughts your way.

I just had the elk herd in the backyard again. The baby was there and I quickly set up the tripod so I wouldn't have fuzzy pictures when I tried to zoom in on them with the digital camera (I *need* a new/better camera with image stablization & a better zoom! lol). I took some photos with the digital and with my regular 35 mm camera & zoom lens. I got greedy and wanted to get closer so I tried to go out on the deck but they were spooked by me and went into the trees. I tried and tried to upload pics into PT but it kept saying there was no image to upload. I sure hope it is a glitch on their end and not something wrong here. Frustrated? Oh you betcha! I'll try again later.

My email still isn't working well. Our ISP says it is because of the widespread internet worm that is going around along with mass emails regarding Christmas sales from companies to their customers. They didn't say when they hoped to overcome the problems. Mail from Monday is trickling in and occasionally I'll get something within a couple hours of it being sent.

I am thankful though for the email glitch and for the PT glitch. Thankful? Oh yes. Even though it is frustrating and I'm gritting my teeth......it is allowing me to practice patience and I sure need to practice that. :o) Yeah right---she says sarcastically.

Hope everyone is enjoying a very nice day.

T. (who does have a little bit more curve in her front garden bed)......

• taryn
    18 years ago

T, I'm getting the same message from PT, as I try to upload pics for Ebay. If you hit the back button on your browser then hit submit again, sometimes it will work after 2 or 3 times. Sometimes it shows completely different error messages though. The last 12 pictures I tried 12 times and gave up for today. Working on the 10 listings I was able to get the pics up for.

Re old vehicles, 1993 Aerostar badly needs tires before winter slip and slide season. And it's sounding more like a muscle car than a passenger van and needs exhaust system work too. There's also that squeal like a pig sound it makes when the heating/cooling system in turned on. Alternator? I dunno, but I DO know it's going to cost money we don't have right now (until we move). Sigh...

Taryn
    (who will try to work on an attitude of gratitude for tomrrow)

• martieinct
    18 years ago

It just feels like Thanksgiving outside. The cold caught everyone off guard and a lot of folks (including me) were running around in 30degF weather with too-light clothes. Sue -- Bundle UP!!!

We're supposed to get a few flurries tonight. "Mood setting" snow. I wish if it were going to snow, it would snow.

Taryn and your plants: What do you have out there? If I missed it in a previous note, please forgive me. I'd say that if it's hardy, sink it in your neighbor's bed, soon. Building a new raised bed is a job for your New home :-) ---positive thoughts, positive thoughts------

'bug: Sorry about the squalls and temp and wind. Can you stay really close to Charlotte when you go out to stay warm? She looks like a cuddler ..

Marian: Took a peek at the pie recipe and got extra cranberries on the way home. We have an awesome orchard nearby and got Ridgeway Russets and Cortland to make it with on Friday. Rich says: Thanks!!!!!

Brenda: Nothing like a good assembly line forewoman in a kitchen. It's amazing how much good food can get produced when there is only "one finger in the pot." I'm having trouble getting the turkey to the community center image out of my mind. ((Good Luck))

Eden: We may have partied together ;-)

Deanne: Have a particularly great time entertaining tomorrow. Today was told about a great seafood place on Main Street in Nashua. Do you know it??

Chelone: Darnnit (not really what I want to say), you had me misty reading about your childhood events. It jolted some memories that deserve more notice ...

Michelle: Pull out the flatware and let the games begin! Our kitchen houses a gizmo from Viet Nam that's purpose is to hold squid while it is individually deep fried or steamed. It looks like a two-sided melon baller, which was what I used it for until I was, ummmmmmmm, corrected. Be ready for the answers to: "What is this thing????" LOL

T.: Hope your computer gets healthy, soon!

Off to make dinner -- pork chops with apple butter, cauliflower, and fresh wheat bread. Anyone??

Martie

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

In Memorium:

{{gwi:186517}}

You will remember the right half of Van Gogh's 'Ladies of Arles' from the main forum page. The left half seems appropriate now, but there is no art at all, only text.

• chelone
    18 years ago

I did not know the piece, Cynthia. Thanks for the background. Wither shall we retreat should the plague descend on us?

How's the wrist?

• drema_dianne
    18 years ago

Hi everyone. I am so sorry I havent been in touch, but every time I tried to sit down and post something, it seemed like I was so far in the hole, and it only got worse. Then I got behind on the birthdays, and felt horrible about that...one thing led to another and then I was lost!

A couple of idylls ago Martie made some comments about ethics in the workplace...congrats on the job by the way! Anyway I was prompted to post this poem given to me by our resident nun at the hospital, whose office is across the hall from mine was using my copier one day, and she usually shares her things with me.

Mother Theresas Prayer

People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self centered;
    Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish ulterior motives;
    Be kind anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
    Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
    Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
    Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
    Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
    Give the world the best you have anyway.

You see, in the final analysis, it was never between you and them anyway.
    It made me think.

Here is what I have been up to... lots of news. My daughter Jenny found out last week that she is going to have a baby, and as close as we can guess at this point, it will be due around the same time as Mary Kates wedding. Her water will probably break as she is walking down the aisle as Mary Kates matron of honor☺

I have been making my candles and took them to the shop to sell. The hospital gift shop told me I could bring them in there too...I took my first batch over and ordered more supplies. We will see what happens. We called them Dreamy Lights...go figure. Brandon created the logo for me.

I have been listing houses, and doing open houses every weekend. Then some friends asked me if I wanted to learn how to make stained glass. And of course I did! I must be nuts..So between working, making candles, selling houses, and also I have been going on job interviews. Something came along that might be a good fit for me, but I had to get my resume updated, that took a lot of time, and then I had to get interview clothes, then go to the interviews.... it made me very behind on the idylls.

Deanne, did you go to the reunion yet? Let's see the picture! I went to a Dillard's oulet and found a $70 black velvet dress for $12. I really got it to be a witch at Halloween, but it was so nice, I didn't cut it up, and can use it for possibly a Christmas party. My class reunions have always been in the summer, and I think summery clothes are easier to find.

I have Birthday cards for a ton of people, and I am going to get them posted for the weekend by hook or by crook.....

Bug, I really liked the pictures of the ferme....

Taryn, good luck on the house, maybe it will go this weekend. My sister in law's house sold almost immediately when it was decorated for Christmas. Hang in there, keep taking the vitamins.

Hi to all,I have loved the pictures of kitties, doggies, babies and everything else. This is a great bunch, and I am Thankful for you!

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving....and thanks for thinking of me. I will do better....

Drema

• Woody_Canada
    18 years ago

Wow! Some impressive Thanksgiving baking going on! Brenda - Callebaut is pretty fancy Belgian chocolate. The original company is now owned by Toblerone I think. Bernard Callebaut now has a separate, fairly large, operation in Canada with retail stores as well as wholesale suppling business. There's a Callebaut store in our town and around 1990 my MIL, a SIL and I went on a chocolate-making course with him at one of his stores in British Columbia - lots of fun but making a large batch is lots of work so I'm very impressed with your assembly line - both the chocolate and the pies!

We had our curry cooking day here today but is was scaled back considerably because two people were sick and couldn't make it. Since there were only three of us, we just made a large batch of Bombay Palace Murgh Kari and some Afghan naan and got them done in time to have some for a late lunch, with enough left over for everyone to take home for supper. I've got all the ingredients for the beef pilau we were orginally going to make too so I'll have to make that tomorrow to use up the meat I think. (If you lived closer GB, you could have take-out...:-)

There was a light dusting of snow this morning and 2-3" forecast for tonight and tomorrow so I think I'll be stuck inside for a few days. Another load of logs is scheduled to come on Saturday for edging elsewhere in the garden but I'm afraid it's going to be inconvenient if the snow doesn't melt away by then - and it's doesn't look promising in the forecast. I think winter is here - Drat!

• rara_avis
    18 years ago

Hi All,
    terribly behind here, such a difficult time opening the GWeb pages past week....very slow and dense connection, only here, not any other sites

just real quick as I have to run downstairs and start cooking...apple pie, pumpkin bread for tomorrow and maybe quiche for tonight. I hate thanksgiving! OH LA

Oronoque Pie Shells(in the freezer section) are the only ones I use. I put the foil pan inside a pyrex for more solid handling in+out of the oven.

for finding old china and silver service pieces?

Replacements,Ltd.<?A>

is supposed to be really good

has anyone read The Decoration of Houses by

Siddharta by Herman Hesse?
    these 2 books have been on my mind lately

time to make the donuts :)
    J

• taryn
    18 years ago

Hi Drema! Hi Julie! So good to hear from you both! Yikes Drema you've got your hands full and it'll be even busier next spring!

Martie thanks, will post the plants later, when the boys have had their 'puter turns. Note I'm not going to plant them in a raised bed, just pile soil around the pots to give them protection. But I'm thinking I'd better get over to Tracy's veggie patch soon. Her veggies will appreciate the triple mix when I take my pots in spring.

Chelone, Cynthia's right, Ebay is the way to go to find anything! Check out the link below, lol!

Taryn

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

Hello! Just want to stop by to wish everyone a Happy Turkey day.

Mine is not starting out well. It reminds me of the song: "Some days are diamonds, some days are stones". Today was a stone. Due to unexpected turn of events yesterday, I went grocery shopping today to pick up a few things for the pies.

WARNING -- put all your plastic milk cartons in plastic bags.

One of the gallons of milk I bot this am had a leak and a quarter gallon of milk soaked the carpet in the back of my new car. @#$%^&*()! And then some. So half my day was spent sucking out milk from the carpet in my car and cleaning up the mess. I phoned the store and they'll make an incident report. Meanwhile, I'm steaming. What a mess. I think the carpet mat on one side might be a goner. I pray I got it all up so my car doesn't smell like sour milk.

Then, I couldn't find my rolling pin for the pies! I haven't a clue whether I lent it to someone or just lost it. After tearing apart the pantry and closets for a couple hours, I trudged thru this awful *S* and bot a new one. Today was a day to try one's patience, for sure.

All this -- and I still don't want to go to DS's tomorrow. Oh well. But I'm so happy to hear of so many others planning happy times with their family. Just wanted to say "HI" and wish everyone a warm, wonderful, safe and happy holiday.

With warm wishes to special friends,
    Honey

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

I really had a good time reading about everyone's preparations for Thanksgiving.

I made turkey soup tonight so am way ahead here. Except that the house isn't clean. The chimney is though. And guess what, the chimney people (whom I've used for years) do gutters now too. So I'll sign them up for next year. The gutter people are now telling me they'll be here Saturday or Sunday. Snow predicted for tonight, but nothing serious.

I saw a mention of a red velvet fur trimmed santa bandana in Reader's Digest. Sold by some frou frou place for $16 each. I checked their website and it didn't look worth the price. Googled it and found a nicer version at Foster & Smith for something less than $4. I refuse to put antlers on my beasties, but a little holiday fluff not bad idea right? Chelone might want to get the halo for her dawg. Or maybe V's Mystic would like to eat one for the holidays.

From www.drsfosterssmith.com
    {{gwi:186518}}

Honey, we all love a good typo, and I so enjoyed the vision of you "sucking out milk from the carpet in my car.."

Drema - very nice to 'see' you! And the poem is a keeper. Thank you for sharing that. It's a very healthy philosphy. "Do the right thing" is the best operating practice always.

Hi Julie! Hi Babs! Hi Wendy! Hi to everyone I haven't seen in a bit. Hi VG! (Anyone left out: I like you best.)

• babzclare
    18 years ago

Mrf vrf vrfvrf mmmvfffd....Oh sorry I was just buried under a drift of snow; )

Happy Turkey day everybody! No time to talk now-just wanted to send a happy gobble,gobble. GOOD to hear from you Drema & Julie!!

~Babs

• taryn
    18 years ago

Very cute Cynthia--but I'd REALLY like to see the antlers...

Sorry about your bad day Honey. Hope tomorrow at DS's isn't too stressful and that everyone gets in the spirit of things.

Okay, so here's my plants that are potted in large gallon or half-gallon pots in the unheated greenhouse. Some, like hostas and columbine are tough as nails and have wintered over the entire winter in the greenhouse, in tiny pots and with no heat or other protection. Many I wintered over on TOP of the soil in flats last year, again in tiny pots, with just leaves on top for mulch. But others I just don't know the coldest temps they'll tolerate, and if they can take a few weeks of possibly into the high teens okay. We usually have a bit of a warm break/thaw after new years, then it normally isn't until 3rd week of January and all through Februrary that we start getting some seriously cold weather, like 5F down to even -22F. If it DID threaten to get really cold I could fire up the natural gas furnace and add 10 degrees if I had to. Is there are rule, say 2 zones colder should be fine, bury the rest NOW?? Appreciate your thoughts on this, when turkey time is over of course.

A few of my favourite things I'm taking:

Arabis caucasica 'Snowcap'
    Agastache rupestris
    Alchemilla mollis
    Anemone biarmiensis
    Angelica gigas
    Aquilegia flabellata 'Alba'
    Aquilegia Saximontana
    Artemisia stelleriana 'Silver Brocade'
    Asphodeline lutea
    Aster lateriflorus 'Lady in Black'
    Aster x frikartii 'Monch'
    Athyrium niponicum 'Pictum'
    Aubrieta deltoida
    Boomer's Forget-me-nots
    Buddleia davidii
    Calamagrostis Karl Forster
    Campanula (Mary's purple/white splotched bicolour)
    Caryopteris divaricata
    Caryopteris x clandonensis
    Centaurea dealbata
    Centaurea montana
    Chelone obliqua
    Cimicifuga ramosa 'Brunette'
    Clematis (5 various)
    Colchium
    Coreopsis grandiflora 'Early Sunrise'
    Coreopsis rosea American Dream
    Coreopsis verticillata 'Moonbeam'
    Corydalis cheilanthifolia
    Cynara cardunculus
    Delphiniums, several
    Dianthus, several unknown
    Dianthus freynii 'Pink Gem'
    Dicentra spectabilis
    Digitalis purpurea 'Excelsior Mix'
    Digitalis x mertonensis
    Echinacea tennesseensis
    Gaura lindheimeri 'Siskiyou Pink'
    Gaura lindheimeri 'The Bride'
    Geranium pratense Midnight Reiter
    Geranium 'Rozanne'
    Geranium wallichianum 'Buxtons Blue'
    Geranium x oxonianum 'Katherine Adele'
    Glaucium flavum
    Gypsophila repens 'Rosea'
    Heliopsis helianthoides var. scabra 'Summer Sun'
    Heliopsis 'Lorraine Sunshine'
    Helleborus, many various
    Heuchera, several various
    Hibiscus moscheutos, several
    Hosta, several various
    Iris, several
    Lavendula vera
    Ligularia Britt-Marie Crawford
    Ligularia dentata 'Desdemona'
    Lilium longiflorum 8' gold
    Lilium longiflorum white
    Lobelia siphilitica
    Lonicera x heckrottii 'Goldflame'
    Macleaya cordata
    Matteuccia struthiopteris
    Muhlenbergia capillaris
    Nepeta 'Six Hills Giant'
    Oenothera acaulis
    Ophiopogon planiscapus 'nigrescens' (Black mondo grass)
    Patrinia scabiosifolia
    Peony (several)
    Persicaria microcephala 'Red Dragon'
    Phlomis tuberosa 'Amazone'
    Pulmonaria officionalis
    Rudbeckia fulgida 'Irish Eyes'
    Ruellia humilis
    Ruta graveolens
    Salix integra 'Hakuro Nishiki'
    Salvia argentea
    Salvia forskaohlei
    Salvia lyrata 'Burgandy Bliss'
    Salvia sclarea turkestanica
    Sedum 'Matrona'
    Sidalcea malviflora 'Party Girl'
    Spiraea japonica
    Stokesia laevis
    Thalictrum aquilegifolium
    Thalictrum rochebrunianum
    Tiarella, unknown white fall blooming
    Tovara virginiana 'Painter's Palette'
    Tricyrtis hirta 'Miyazaki'
    Tricyrtis hirta unknown pink and yellow
    Valeriana officinalis
    Weigela florida pink
    Weigela florida 'Variegata'

Yeah I know, I know, but there ARE worse addictions, no? And yes, there are thousands of plants left over for the new owners, and no holes in the garden, well except where the self-sowing annuals will fill in... :)

Taryn

• taryn
    18 years ago

Marie, at least you can put off the mower decision until the spring, unless it doubles as your snowplow. I thought Ric had tenure?? Mandatory retirement will be hard for him (and you) unless you can get him on more hockey teams...

Michelle, forgot to say congratulations that Laura and Mike (and Kenzie) have a new house! Lots of changes for them in the past couple of years, and it's great they doing well. Also wanted to comment that I like your dream! While the new place is far from the ocean it's only a half-hour from Lake Erie. Turkey Point is a favourite resort area for many. Hoping you're REALLY psychic and it's not just Thanksgiving turkey on the brain!

Drema, it is SO hard to jump back in here when you've been busy for a while and haven't read. That happens to me quite a bit. So now I'm making up for the next time I go AWOL by posting every 4th post or sooner so I can remember what everyone has said. :) Last one for tonight though. Wittle itty bitty kitty is getting spayed and I have to have her at the vets by 8:30 latest. Same time the boys go to school, so they are walking, snow or no snow (one inch and more to come). Draquie has a really hoarse, scratchy meow and I would HATE to have to listen to her when in heat, so the deed is being done tomorrow. And we'll both be thankful when it's over....

T, again...

• just_t
    18 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I'm still up, waiting for DH to get off work and come home. It has been a very long day.

But being up this late does have a bonus---I'll get to be the first to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. :oD

May each of you have a blessed day with family, good friends and those you care most about.

T.

• flowerluvr
    18 years ago

Good morning all, and Happy Thanksgiving! On the way back from turning on the ovens, I remembered this poem and it pretty well sums it up for me.......

Once upon a time I planned to be

An artist of celebrity.

A song I thought to write one day,

And all the world would homage pay.

I longed to write a noted book,

But what I did was~~learn to cook.

For life with simple tasks is filled,

And I have done, not what I willed.

Yet when I see my family's loving eyes

Im glad I make good apple pies!

Hope everyone has much to be thankful for today-
    Brenda

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

I'm up to make the pies. I'll be glad to turn the oven on. It's cold out, 21F, and the wind is really whipping around the house. I don't ever remember a Thanksgiving this wintery. Hope that isn't a sign of things to come. I just wanted to tell you all Happy Thanksgiving, I hope you all have a wonderful day, and last but not least that I'm thankful for all of you, my dear Idyll friends.

Eden

• Woody_Canada
    18 years ago

Taryn - and Cynthia - if you want to see just how ridiculous a dog can look all dressed up for Christmas with antlers and other things, check this one out! :
    {{gwi:186520}}

It looks like most of our forecast snow fell as rain instead - although its still too dark to see clearly.. Hopefully I wont be stuck indoors all day!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you south of the border!

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

Very interesting to read about the Christmas tree harvest and get update on everyone. Yesterday was one of the warmest November days that we remember since moving here in 1986. A t-shirt day. 35 F in breezeway this morning. Been nice having the younger family members home from work and university. Had turkey day yesterday to accommodate schedules and committments. Food is traditional and simple, conversation intelligent, and hugs comforting. I enjoy dessert so seldom that I want the 'real' thing.. no sugar free or low fat please. We don't do a lot of baking, just an occaisional special treat. More of the same today and it is also tradition to begin decorating the Christmas tree. Noticed some homes with lights enroute home after dark yesterday. Very beautiful. We drive thru rural area and hills with farms. Wishing all the best. EP

• chelone
    18 years ago

Nice thoughts for a day of thanks. I liked Mother Teresa's poem, too. Just keep plunking along and if you don't get it right on Monday, try harder on Tuesday.

It's snowing here, looks like confectionary sugar being sifted over the yard. I'm not entirely sure what will happen over the rest of the day, I'd be surprised if it remained snow all day long.

There is a lot of feline silliness this morning. I opened the door and Polly went right out. She sniffed, stood stock still, then "peeled out", did a 360 and raced into the house and up on a chair back. Then it was right back outdoors with Spencer in hot pursuit. Vera is playing with a bottle cap, only elegant Miss Flo-Flo is unengaged.

I'm not feeling very energetic. I have to make stuffing and get the vegetables ready to go, not a tall order. Of greater importance to me is getting the remaining living room shade up (would like nicer in its proper place than leaning against the side of the chimney), and getting the canopy, screen panels, and the awnings all put away until April. I have some laundry to fold up (bedsheets), too.

Here's some viewing for the bored out there...

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving all! Unfortunately I'm still pretty sick but getting everything done. Having a cold has actually been a blessing for me as I overheard something at work yesterday afternoon that has been personally upsetting and have been able to "hide out" behind kleenex and red eyes. Hopefully the cold will last long enough for me to get a grip.

It's snowing here-maybe an inch or two so far but it's supposed to change to rain later. I'm with Eden-hopefully this isn't a glimpse of winter to come.

OK, time to stuff my turkey and get it in the oven.

Have fun!

Sue

• veronicastrum
    18 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating today!

Time to get busy in the kitchen!

V.

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving!! Pineapples are a colonial sign of true welcome. I'm grateful that I've been welcomed into this group. The prayer has been printed and will be hanging in my office (cube).

{{gwi:186522}}

Everyone have a wonderful, bountiful day.

Martie

• Monique z6a CT
    18 years ago

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

Unpacking a Christmas Memory box came across this poem shared by a 'vintage lady' before we moved here. When we went back last year the area where her little cottage home had been had been redeveloped into a city complex including a museum and library. Her spirit will always be a part of Christmas:

Happiness
    Every happy thought we share is like a bright new smile
    That touches someone's lonely heart and makes their life worthwhile
    And every happy little deed that makes your love shine through
    Is just another simple way to make you happy too!

• chelone
    18 years ago

Sorry to hear the cold has really settled in for Sue; I can't imagine much worse than having to deal with turkey and dinner when you don't feel particularly wel. Sorrier still, that you have had an upset at work. That's a shame. Hopefully, you have tomorrow off and can convalece over the weekend.

Snow has turned to rain here and the wind has picked up. We lit the stove today (first time this season) and it's been quite a hit with the cats. The morning silliness has given way to napping.

I've dealt with the laundry, and put the turkey in the oven about 15 minutes ago. The kitchen is cleaned (round one), and I'm tackling the shade next, then the canopy.

We're watching "The Meaning of Life" now, esp. enjoying the "special features" and interviews.

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving! The snow has melted, but it's not going to be much of a gardening day since everything will be soggy. Still have bulbs that I dug out of front yard to plop in back yard.

Eden, I wish my house smelled like pies this morning!

Brenda, Hope those turkeys are thawed. If they're not, I know there'll be a good entertaining story from you later.

Jerri, special thoughts to you this day. I know you will be missing Sassy, but are thankful your time with her.

Martie, I just love that arborvitae hedge sprinkled with snow.

Chelone, I checked our your chimney project photos and enjoyed the descriptive text too. It looks terrific and can't wait to see the mantle installed.

Sue, I know how hurtful things can cast a shadow over the rest of your life, so I hope that you can shake that off as well as the cold. Consider the source is my best advice.

I'm grateful that my wrist seems fine now and I didn't have to go to the Dr after all. Marian, I cringed when I read your comment about hitting the ganglioma with book! I do remember that 'treatment' for 'wens'/sebaceous cysts which are above the skin. Shudder. A ganglioma is below the skin, so there's nothing to break open externally. Oh, this is not very nice TDay talk is it lol.

Monty's foot seems a bit better too. He has not slept on my bed with kitty's this week so that made me worry. This morning I invited him up, and he hurtled all 65 pounds of flailing limbs right up there. (I caught him running outside yesterday too, so figured he felt better :-) I do have appt for him at vet on Friday as we need to check out his bunny hopping on walks which is unrelated to the sore on his foot.

Happy Thanksgiving from Foster Rippie, who knows how to live in the moment and be thankful for whatever he's got. Note that is a real smile on his face. Greyhounds are the only breed that actually 'smiles' just like humans do, with lips pulled back and teeth together. The clenched teeth can be scary to the unknowing :-)

{{gwi:186523}}
    Cynthia

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Chelone, when you find out the meaning of life, please share it with me. In my last conversation with my father he asked me what it is all about. I just loved your series of photos. (I'm very nosey I guess, and looked at lots of details!)

Very sorry to hear things are low with you Sue. Here's a hug and big hopes for a quick and better turn of events.

This morning I went to the 'memorial service' for our riding mower. Putting more money into it just does not make sense. Yet, it is a sad day. I love that mower. The repair guy was incredulous. He said he had never met anyone who loved an old machine to that extent before. He said everyone wants a bigger, better, newer one. I felt like I was taking a cat to the vets for the last time. Guess I'm really really nuts.

Do you see a new one here?
    {{gwi:186524}}

Or here?
    {{gwi:186525}}

We need to decide soon so that we can get a refund on the old one...or dispose of it. Only need a new one for May though, not today with its 17F temperatures! So much to consider.

Lots of challenges here, but the sun breaks through every now and again.

Enjoy this special day. Family gatherings can be a challenge too sometimes, but I hope you can find humor in it. (That's for you Honey!)

Later,
    'bug

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

Oh, Sue, so sorry to hear the cold is settling in.

Cynthia, lololol over sucking up spilled milk.

Chelone, I love the way you paint pictures with words. Your home seems so warm, friendly and welcoming (despite the fact that you hate dogs ). How nice you have a little more "alone" time with DH before your Mom returns.

EP, I love the heirlooms and heritage you share with us.

Eden, glad your family made it down safe and sound.

Taryn, I know what you mean about trying to keep up when you're really busy. I missed so much here and hope to catch up little by little. Sorry, I can't help you with your plants. However, last yr I left calla lillies in the ground and piled mulch on top. They came back fine and they're zone 8. I picked up a couple Angel Daisy's (also zone 8) on clearance a few days ago and am hoping they'll winter over. They were $1 ea, so no biggie if they don't make it.

DB just called to ask what time we're going over DS's house. I talked to SIL ind they don't want to arrive until just before dinner and they don't plan on staying long. Seems DS has caused her usual holiday ruckus with them, too. It is so sad. DS wants a warm 'family' holiday gathering, yet manages to alienate everyone in the process. She wins battles but loses the war.

We are so looking forward to playing with our grandniece and enjoying the rest of the family. Hoping you're enjoying as well.

• just_t
    18 years ago

Good morning again! Happy Thanksgiving!

Sue, you are utmost on my mind this morning.

Drema, it was great to hear how you are doing and what your life has held. Please don't worry about 'catching up' nor about responding to what we've been chatting about. Just come in 'whenever' and let us know about YOU! When you have more time---then you can be here with us more. Right now, just check in more often and let us know what is up with you. Congratulations to your daughter!

J, it was great that you stopped by to say hello!

Cynthia, I enjoyed the halo & kerchief. Let me know if I can help you make something for your pups if you don't find what you are looking for in stock.

Babs, it is always great to 'see' you.

Ei, sending good thoughts and a smile to you & yours. This Thanksgiving will be bittersweet for you & your family, but hopefully you'll share many smiles-reminiscing of past Thanksgiving gatherings that included your father.

Woody, your poor dog! ;oD I loved the picture and she looks to be a very good sport. I hope it doesn't continue to snow and keep you indoors too long.

Saucy? Please come say 'hi'......you are missed.

Chelone the chimney and walls turned out very nice and the desk veining is clever. Thanks for sharing the pics.

EP, Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours.

Taryn, what an impressive list of plants!

Martie......snow?! wow!

I figure Brenda, Deanne & many others are elbow deep in meal prep. DH is still abed. I've got my 35mm camera, tripod & all other 'stuff' (food) to take to the in-laws. I'm suppose to be the family photographer today. I guess I should go remind myself how to use the timer feature on the camera......

{{gwi:186526}}

I loved Cynthia's parting comment earlier and will 'borrow' it ----

*If I didn't mention you, I meant to and you are my favorite* . ;o)

Happy Thanksgiving.....I count myself blessed to be included in this Idyll 'family'.

Teresa

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Just in from the friendly family forwarding crowd...

'Twas the night of Thanksgiving, but I just couldn't sleep.

I tried counting backwards, I tried counting sheep.

The leftovers beckoned - the dark meat and white,
    But I fought the temptation with all of my might.

Tossing and turning with anticipation,
    The thought of a snack became infatuation.

So, I raced to the kitchen, flung open the door
    And gazed at the fridge, full of goodies galore.

I gobbled up turkey and buttered potatoes,
    Pickles and carrots, beans and tomatoes.

I felt myself swelling so plump and so round,
    'Til all of a sudden, I rose off the ground.

I crashed through the ceiling, floating into the sky
    With a mouthful of pudding and a handful of pie.

But, I managed to yell as I soared past the trees
    "Happy eating to all - Pass the cranberries, please!"

May your stuffing be tasty, may your turkey be plump;
    May your potatoes 'n gravy have nary a lump;
    May your yams be delicious, may your pies take the prize;
    May your Thanksgiving dinner stay off of your thighs.

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

Is everyone stuffed? We had a nice day at my parents house. My sister and family from Madison, WI were there along with my son and GF and Kenzie and her parents. Instead of peanut clusters, my mom makes mixed nut clusters, they are fabulous.

Cold here today, it was only in the teens.

Drema, congrats to your DD and to you. Will this be your first grandchild? You mentioned stained glass, I dabble in it. I have a area set up in the basement. I don't work at it at all in the summer and the last couple of winters I haven't seemed to fit it in either.

Sue, I hope you feel better soon on all fronts.

Cynthia, that is a hilarous picture. I love the "smile"

Martie, cool picture with the pineapple in the snow.

Woody, you DH sure is a good sport.

Honey, my we bought milk Friday night and it was in a sack. That didn't help when DH dropped it on the garage floor ;o)

Taryn, that is quite a list of plants, you've been busy.

Sleep tight

Michelle

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County