Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Idyll 238 - Happy Thanksgiving week

Posted by Janie_ON z6a Ontario (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 21, 05 at 13:52

For our US Idyllers....football and turkey - does it get any better??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Idyll 238 - Happy Thanksgiving week

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARIAN!!

o

Jane , I'm glad you started this one .I wanted to post , but could hardly download the last one !

Got e-mails from our Tim . He won't be here Thanksgiving Day but plans on coming Saturday . He will be by himself .

Teresa , no , I haven't asked if anyone has a retired range . Most people around here have gas ranges . I use the electric . Frankly , I am afraid of gas in my home . I have seen too many disasters , also the fumes make me sick(er) .

LOL Marie . I understand about the leaves at the dump . They are throwing away what becomes 'black gold' !

EP , I'm sure the oven element could be replaced , but it is an old range , and has other problems . I hunted the town over for a replacemrnt for my previous range . I don't remember the circumstances , but I had to replace the range not too long afterwards .
BTW , that is a beautiful picture .

Ooooo , Babs , That's scary !

Michelle , your lovely flowers are Tricyrtis aren't they ?
And V , what are your pretty spring flowers ? I was thinking 'poppies' but the leaves , and the season do not seem right .

Marian

o
RE: Idyll 238 - Happy Thanksgiving week again

Thanks again for all the beautiful pictures, the cake (yum) and the lovely wishes!!

T - awesome looking purse cake...I wouldn't want to eat it!

Honey - I heard about the doom and gloom this morning. Is it affecting your DH at all? 3,600 jobs here mainly in Oshawa (the main manufacturing plants)..so far we are looking safe in Woodstock but time will tell.

Speaking of the birds= it looks positively Hitchcockian (sp?)...there must be 200-300 birds sitting on the trees, lawn and wires right outside my front window. When one flies away, they all go. Creepy to look out - they have been mingling all day.

Babs - lock down!!!

Deanne - that brug is beautiful..I tried to grow one once but failed miserably...maybe I should have another go.

Taryn - that seems like a very reasonably request for Glenn (inregards to the potty).... good luck with that! George with Bree...yuck...he is so creepy!

Amelia had a friend over yesterday and the two of them painted my new recycling bin and themselves too...but they had so much fun...

on the run - have to catch a ride to work! Later

o
RE: Idyll 238 - Happy Thanksgiving week....Jane

Thanks , for the lovely pic and wish , Jane ! you posted while I was composing ! ( We need to get together on our birthdays ...they are so close . )

o

Babs and Marian, the picture for Marian was taken when I was in Dallas at the Arboretum. It is Clerodendrum ugandense Blue Butterfly hardy to zone 9. It is actually a shrub. Pretty isn't it?

Michelle

o
RE: Idyll 238 - Happy Thanksgiving week-Oh !

Michelle , that's why I didn't recognize it . It isn't hardy here ! [ I feel so dumb ! ...:-( ]

o

Thanks Michelle-well it might still be fun for summer pots!(all the fun plants seem to be warm zone plants....I need to move) I just knew it had to have 'butterfly' in its name: )
I sowed the lupine seeds-crossed fingers for spring.

~B

o

• Posted by Taryn S Ontario Z6B (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 21, 05 at 16:05

Marian, I put your BD card on the last thread, but in case you can't download it, link to the photo below. I LOVE Idyll birthdays! Lots of great pics everyone...

Janie, DH apologized for the silly argument and was in much less of a foul humour when he came home. Early. Took a puck to the top of his foot so limped into the Xmas party with the kids and got their gifts then left. Kids said there were way too many lineups so were happy with their gifts and the early departure. Amelia and her buddy did a very colourful job on the recycle bin! Re desperate housewives, so Glad Brie dumped that slimey George! She doesn't know he murdered her shrink yet! Glad you're not affected by the grim GM news, and hope Honey's DH won't be either.

Honey so nice to hear from you! Sorry about the burst pipe. That happened to us a few years ago, when the pipe leading to the outside tap which was supposed to be frost-proof wasn't, and burst under the mainfloor bathroom floor. We didn't know for days, until the water in the basement put out the pilot light and we had no hot water. DH had to cut an access hatch in the floor and installed a shut off valve at the same time. So now it's turned off there and outside. At least your basement is safe this time!

Babs, batten down the hatches! That is very scary and way too close to home!

Well the agent from Oakville was a no-show, but we did have two couples who seemed pretty keen come through. First we had a lovely British couple come through with a little boy, about 6 I would guess. Just moved to Canada and staying with family right now, everything in storage. (read NO HOUSE they have to sell first!) They loved the house, asked a lot of questions about schools, how busy is the street etc, and said they had a couple more to look at but will be in touch! Of course after the last experience I'm taking that with a grain of salt. Then there was a 2nd couple that came that seemed very interested too. They didn't just see the open house sign but saw our listing in the Private Real Estate magazine and drove from Hamilton, just under an hour away. He uses arm braces to help him walk, and this has come up in my tarots too. Can't remember the card but said something about a man with limp or bad knee who needs help to walk. I told him that the 2nd staircase could be modified with a chair lift, and he said that it would be easy to put ramps as our porch and deck are only 2 steps over ground level. He asked a LOT of questions about the construction and said several times that it was a very nice home after they'd been through. I was very nervous about him coming down the curved wooden front stairs, as they're not really deep enough and he was already compromised. Huge sigh of relief once he got to the bottom. His last question was about whether his van would fit in the garage. Our Aerostar was in the driveway right outside the garage door and it was obvious that won't be an issue. But I really liked the British couple and their little boy would have lots of freinds to play with here. Hoping one of them phones soon, being cautiously optimistic.

Still have puffy eyes and don't know why. UGH! Got 8 hours sleep last night, but very tired this morning so went for a nap at 9:30. Woke up at 10 to 1:00! This has got to stop! Hope bloodtest results tomorrow reveal something (and something easy to fix.)

Just made homemade chicken soup with little pasta shells. Hint of tarragon is very nice, and Shane has told me over and over again how good it is. It seemed like a good day for a hearty soup, gray and depressing out. And I had to accomplish something today. Guess I should phone Gigi back. She called while DH was on and said in her message nothing's wrong, but could I phone her when I had a chance. I only watch two hours of TV a week, DH and Grey's Anatomy, so was selfish and didn't call her back last night. Working up the energy now. Hi to all!

Here is a link that might be useful: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARIAN!!!

o

Happy birthday Marian!

"Saint Peter don't you call me, 'cause I can't go... I owe my soul to the company store." (I'd sell my soul for a new 'lectric stove...). That's a great tune (I love the Platter's version!).

I have been really struggling at work. Nothing is really amiss; fall is noted for "grunt work"... cleaning, mending curtains, and the inevitable influx of old, dirty, poorly cared for boat canvas. Repair work is actually rather fun; you have to use your imagination and it can require a good deal of technical ability to solve problems quickly and thoroughly (that's what I love about alteration work for RTW). But lately, my boss has been HANGING over me and interrupting me with how it's to be done. (Hello? what the hell do you think I've been doing for the past 15 years?!) I left early last week when she was "hover mode" and told her I didn't need to be instructed every step of the way, and I didn't like being addressed as though I was a 10-12 yr. old. She did it again this morning; asked for my opinion and interrupted me to tell me why it was wrong! I fixed her with "one of those" looks and asked if she'd be more comfortable doing the repair work herself, to be sure it was done properly. "No, you do a GREAT job on repairs and you're fast"... then please give me the work assignment and let me do it MY way, please. I can handle the "grunt work", but not when I'm subjected to endless "instruction" or "now... if it had been me doing it..." day in/day out, I quickly lose my desire to go into the shop at all. She has a tendancy to "micromanage" when SHE'S behind schedule and I suspect that's the real issue, but I can't wait for Wednesday afternoon.

I did, however, come up with a pretty clever solution to a problem that's nagged me for close to 7 years now. When I made the shades for the living area the cornice boxes were hung lower on the wall than they are now. About 6" lower. At that time I was still "feeling my way" along in drapery work and I hadn't really learned to look at the WHOLE space... I was covering the window and not thinking about the newly created "dead space" above the cornice boxes. It finally dawned on me to raise the cornices to the ceiling! (duh, WHAT a concept!); the helpmeet added a deeper crown moulding and we raised them. Naturally, the shades were now 6" too short... what to do? Couldn't let down the hem (faded), didn't have enough heading to get the job done. So I left them, since we only lower them halfway when the sun is low in the sky and it affects the TV. Today, I make a 6"h x 92"l extender. I put velcro on the top edge to mate with the velcro on the mounting board. I then added a 92" ZIPPER to the lower edge, the female half on the extender, the male on the shade itself... . It works SLICK; and there will be a lot less fiddling around when I want to take the shades down for an "airing". I'll still have to deal with the cords, but no more heavy shade and cumbersome mounting board that has to fit over bolts and be secured with wing nuts... . I'm not a dummy, afterall. ;)

I bought my cake stand today and 8 pretty napkins, too (50% off, even)! I couldn't pull the trigger on a cake knife, though (pretty homely). I'm thinking I'll have to buy one for my own pattern and see if I can find one to match my grandmother's (discontinued many years ago). I have one more store to check, before calling it quits. The helpmeet laughed at me when I showed him the stand... "it was just today I was wondering why we DIDN'T have a cake stand. No well equipped kitchen should be without one...". What a fink! But he's always the one to look at a pretty table and remark how nice it is to sit down for a dinner in lovely setting. Reminds me, I have to buy some tapers tomorrow... I'm thinking plum for a color... think I'll be lucky?

My desk was looking OK, but a whole peck of bills has arrived and I'm not in the mood to address them just now.

Tell me more funny stories; I need a smile.

The recycling bin is sensational; those two look as though they know how to really have fun together.

Honey, DRAG about the irrigation. Don't you hate it when you make the wrong choice and you get "bagged" for taking a chance? (I'm doing it with the canopy take down now!).

Bella the ball, LOL.

Babs. scarey stuff... I wonder how many people would be willing to chance Rex in an attempt to "infiltrate the compound"? My sewing project has gotten me thinking it may just be time for a new sewing machine... I have a sentimental attachment to the 31-15 (my father bought it for me and it is my first industrial machine), but I'm thinking it's time to move on up. Trouble is, what am I going to do with the old one, I'm runnin' outta room FAST. What're you working on these days?

Michelle, how is YOUR project going? The place isn't cleaned up enough for pictures (let alone Thanksgiving!), but aside from the mantel, it's pretty much FINISHED! (hope that doesn't depress you ;) ).

Hope Martie's day at work was better than mine...

Gotta deal with the other shade before I lose all my motivation... ugh.

o

I lucked out today and didn't have to take "Bella the Ball", lol Marie, for her check-up. Megan called and they let her reschedule for Wednesday. And she's finished with the jury duty thing too. Brad and I spent yesterday and today getting up the exterior Christmas decorations and lights. They're finished now, just in time, as we're supposed to have cold weather and snow the rest of the week. We won't turn them on until after Thanksgiving. I was planning on doing a thorough kitchen cleaning today after Brad left for work but I've been goofing off this afternoon and for some reason am feeling really tired tonight so I think I'll just do a little laundry and leave it at that.

Chelone, can't wait to see the finished project and would love to see the cake stand too. I hope your job smooths out for you.

Babs, keep the doors locked. David always complains because I keep the doors locked when I'm home alone, but you never know and my motto is better safe than sorry. So you stay safe, ok?

Hi Honey, good to hear from you. I figured you were busy in the garden. Sorry about the busted pipe.

Martie, how went the first day?

Marian, hope your birthday was a good day!

Jane, those girls did a great job and now you have a very cool recycling bin!

Taryn, I'm hoping really hard for you that one of your new leads pans out and the house is SOLD. The chicken soup sound delish.

I really enjoyed all the birthday cards. What a treat to see them all on this gloomy November day. I think I'm going to go veg out and read for a while since there's no one home but me and there will be no interuptions in case I decide to take a nap.

Have a good evening, Eden

o

Here's a random thought for Chelone to laugh at:

The magazine: Real Simple
The motto: Life Made Easier
The December issue: 378 pages - Huh?

The dogs are "air growling" - it's like air guitar but much noisier. It's funny because when they are making the most noise, they're actually not even touching each other.

Marian, the flowers in my picture are Angelique tulips in full bloom. I'll be interested to see if they come back at all next year. Your daffs sound lovely, and how nice of Tim's friend to remember what you wanted (even if she didn't know you had more yellow ones than you needed!)

Jane, glad to hear you've escaped the layoffs for now. I couldn't remember which plant you worked at - silly me of all people should be able to remember Woodstock! (My town has the same name.)

Taryn, I'm running out of things to cross for you! All you need is one offer from the right people. It wasn't very nce of you to throw that puck at Glenn's foot! ;) Well, at least you hit the foot and not the source of the irritation. (Now that one should bring Blackie out if he's around at all.)

Someone ont he last thread asked about Tastefully Simple. It's a home party thingy based on a line of food items. They're best known for their beer bread, which is very easy to make and very yummy. (And Marian, you can use other beverages besides beer!) I bought several packages of the bread, an almond pound cake mix, pesto mix and a cheese ball mix. Few preservatives, etc., etc.

Gotta run for a meeting!

V.

o

Happy Birthday Janie

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o
RE: Idyll 238 - Happy Thanksgiving week for Marian

Happy Birthday Marian

o

Sassy took a turn for the worse today. She was loved very much.

o

((Oh Jerri.)) Then Sassy is with Sweet William in tuna heaven. Willie was very kind and gentle, good to other cats. What a kitty year this has been.

o

I'm sorry Jerri. Pets are so worth it though, aren't they?

My big news was I was just able to place my entire Thanksgiving grocery order on line for delivery tomorrow night. Woo hoo! I just love Peapod.

Sue

o

(((((((Jerri)))))))) So sorry to hear about Sassy. My heart breaks for you b/c I know how much you love her.

Janie, I'm so glad you're not at the plant affected by today's announcement. All the news lately is really scary.

Deanne, great news about losing so many inches from your waist! It sounds like you finally found the right coaches and formula to make all your hard work pay off. Good for you!

Taryn, your house sounds perfect for either couple. I hope good news is just a post away.

Marian, I'll bet the earth where you've been dumping all the leaves for the last few yrs. is great compost waiting to be harvested.

I seem to be in a fog tonite. Temps are dropping here and my hands and toe ache. Oh, I forgot to tell you I broke my toe last week. I tripped over the rails for the doorwall when I was racing for the telephone. Duh. I can be such a klutz.

I'm so glad I'm NOT doing Turkey Day this yr. We're going to DS's (yuk). I'll be making the pies Wed.

I think I'll retire to the couch and watch some TV. Not up to par. Hi to all. 'Nite.

o

I'm so far behind reading here so I'm not sure what's been happening....

Happy Birthday Marian!

And Happy Birthday Janie - in honor of your new beastie, birthday wishes are presented by a sleepy Misty...:

((Jerri))!

DH was using up a vacation day today. We went to see the new Harry Potter movie today, just for fun. It's quite good. There's a cinema not too far away that has the 'rear window captioning' technology so I can follow the movie too.

Tomorrow I need to do a lot of shopping to prepare for our cooking day on Wednesday.

o

I'm so sorry Jerri. I know how much you'll miss her.

Eden

o

I wish I could tell you all that I had a lovely Birthday . It was rather a hum drum day , made rather distressing by Nolon having a less than lucid day . It is hard to be in a talkative mood , and not have some one to talk to who can respond intelligently . I wonder if he had eaten too many sweets and it effected his borderline type 2 diabetes ? It seems I remember reading that it can effect a person's cognitive powers .

Thanks for all the cards and greetings .
Taryn , it was thoughtful for you to give the link . I can hardly open the last thread . Your card is lovely , and so are the ones from Mary and Sue . They helped keep my day on a more even keel !

Taryn , I am happy that things are better at your house ( with your DH ) . Sorry about your allergies . Wow ...that WAS a long nap . You most have really needed it .

Chelone , Man ! you are sure a busy gal . Sorry your boss lady is hanging over you . I cannot stand that ! It doesn't matter who it is , I don't want an audience or a monitor when I am working [ unless it is some one really special ..:o) ]

V , NOW I remember the Angeligue tulips from last spring ! Duh! How could I forget ... they are so lovely . I think several of you have them ...right ?

Jerry , so sorry about the loss of your Sassy .

Ow ow ! Honey ! I have escaped ever breaking anything , not even a toe ! ( I hope I haven't jinxed myself ! )
I had the same idea about all the leaves , but they just disappear in this pitiful soil . When we first moved here I would take my garden cart out in to the woods thinking I would 'harvest' lots of wonderful leafmold ... , about all I harvested were ticks and chiggers ! Every place where leaves gathered long enough to made leafmold would be full of tree roots , making digging impossible . I don't pile them anywhere except in a wire cage , if I get ambitious enough to rake them up . I scattered the ones that were nearest to being composted , in the lasagna bed I started . The tree roots had invaded the wire cages too , so I couldn't make use of a lot of the good stuff with out major digging ! There are places where I tilled large amounts of them into the ground , but they failed to do what I thought they should . I even added chicken litter from a cousin's chicken houses , and stiil had poor soil that wouldn't grow anything !
LOL ..." We're going to DS's (yuk) . "

I'm going to hit the sack . I'm not feeling to perky , either .

Marian

o

Jerri...I'm so sorry to hear about Sassy...I know nothing I could say could make you feel better...but you said the most comforting thing yourself..."She was loved very much."
That's the best thing any person or pet could ever hope for...you gave her a good life! Ei

o

Eden I am SO happy everything worked out for you,Megan AND for Bella-hey she's gets to wait an extra 24 hrs before she gets 'stuck'; ) I always felt like I would cry too when the boys got their injections. Now I'm at the brink of how long before AJ doesn't need me around for the exam-don't want to be a hoverer.
He let on that he figured Santa wasn't real last year when he didn't get the one thing he REALLY wanted("Santa can make ANY toy" so he knew something was up). I guess we did pretty well if he only JUST got less than he wanted. lol. Oh and when I asked Ryan who he thought brought the presents on Xmas he said the PARENTS like it was so matter of fact. I guess that it makes it much easier.
About locked doors-I do lock them faithfully but oh man I scared myself lastnight. Here I had been up on the second floor computering and stayed up late then luckily I checked the doors before turning in-I had left the door completely unlocked! Talk about an uneasy feeling and Chris was away. And then to hear the news about that break in & assault! I really think they were preying on the man because of his advanced years....I'll be watching the news for the report.
Brad might complain about the locked doors,but Chris is known for visiting me in the garden then locking me out!and it's usually when he's headed for the shower or when he's out of the earshot of me banging on the door. lolol...where's the hockey puck when ya need it?: )

Janie-tell Amelia & friend they did a sweet job on the bin!!! I'm trying to remember the last time I saw your arbor and plantings but it looks like you had some nice plantings-wasn't it bare initially when the arbor went up?

Honey I hope you cheer up-sounds like it's been rough.You BROKE your toe!: ( Are you elevating it? Good thoughts being sent ASAP!
I'm in charge of pies too this year but I just do two pumpkin pies. My mom used to make minced meat too but no one likes it but her. I found chocolate whipped cream for one and regular cream for the other( I like to make creative sculptures on the kids slices(it also drives my sister crazy because she always monitors their sugar/fattening food intake...but that's what aunties are for; ) Just a little dysfunction for the holidays lol.

((Jerri)) OH that's so sad. I know Sassy was lucky to have you.I hope your memories and love for Sassy comfort you as you grieve.

Woody-We normally are very cheap and rent videos instead of seeing movies at theaters but I would definitely pay to see that one in a theater. I hope we get a chance. How fortunate that you had the captioning-I'm happy for you. I have to confess that the closed captioning that we have on our TV is wonderful. With a main road out front, summer TV watching is frustrating but cc allows us to view uninterrrupted, same goes for watching Survivor-at times the way it's filmed we have a hard time understanding conversations but cc helps immensely.

Chelone funny you should ask what project I'm up to: )[sly grin]......Why, I'm up to buying a serger! I still need to test run some. I want a Juki-but it's too much $$. Probably a Bernina or Pfaff trying to learn more about the BabyLock-not sure that air-jet threading is necessary nor auto-tension. My sister who's in the industry has been very helpful as I find the right machine.
Should I tell?I'm possibly getting a job as a sample maker for a clothing boutique. I'm jinxing it now that I've spilled the beans. Everybody throw a pinch of salt over your shoulder....now!

I must make note that the bday pics are so refreshing-it's twice as good having dual bday girls: )

I better go-haven't heard the gossip from DH's conference experience. Orlando was muchissimo expensivo...

~Babs

o

This heather is glowing right now. Hope you had a great day Marian!

Michelle, how large was that Clerodendrum ugandense 'Blue Butterfly'? Were they growing it in full sun or shade? I grew it as an annual this year and took cuttings that I hope will survive. It sent up a few stalks that got about 3-4' tall but didn't fill out that much. It was tucked behind some other plants and so it looked ok, but I think I need a different spot for it next year. I enjoyed the true blue color tho. I don't have any good photos, but this one will have to do (always the enabler):

o

Jerri, Sassy was greeted by Bobby Lee, Minnie, and Mr. Sleek (aka Jun., short for "junior"). I know it's hard to see them "go". :( Maybe Sally, Chris, and Peanie gave her chase. Or maybe Sassy chased Laverne, Oprah, Skyler, and Leona... . (((hug)))

Honey, I broke my "little piggy" several years ago, ramming it into the blanket chest on a noctural trip to the bathroom. OWWW! I worked retail in those days and was unable to wear nice shoes for about 2 weeks, looked pretty silly wearing nice clothing and slippers. My sympathies. Keep it up whenever you can.

No salt readily available, Babs., but sending good thoughts your way anyway. Sounds like a fun job, what kind of boutique (the kind that could eat up a paycheck quickly)? I have a Willcox&Gibbs 515 overlock machine. I bought it in '85-'86 for $700. I had the spreader replaced with another looper to bring it back to 5 thread capability. It's in a fully submerged bench with 1/2" guage; it flies, and I LOVE the differential feed, it's great for swimwear, velours, and fleece. Good luck on the hunt. And the job! And how is MIL, these days? I know she had a part of a leg amputated, but shamefully, I've been so out of touch I've neglected to ask you about her. How old is she? (I love mince pie, but prefer them to be more savory and made with venison! consequently, I rarely have it.)

I managed to get one of the shades back up last night, the extender flap worked very well. I had forgotten how long it can take to rig a large shade, though. I soldiered through it (cats were a huge help, not!) and decided to call it quits. I have to do some cleaning this afternoon, mainly Mum's bathroom and a quick vacuum of her bedroom. I'm not sure if she and my brother will be coming on Wednesday night or on Thursday morning. The weather prognosticator is making noises about sloppy weather for the holiday.

It's pouring now, and tomorrow is supposed to get markedly colder, but be dry. We were too lazy to take the canopy down yesterday, so tomorrow it will be "do or die".

Marian, I sympathize with "lucid" days. Mum has days when she's really "with it", and others when she is definitely out in LaLaLand somewhere and it's important to remind her to empty the pee pouch. I hope it was a sugar hang-over.

Gotta scoot; I have to finish up some panels at work and clean some curtains, but I'm going to ask to leave early. I just don't have the heart to "suck it up" today and I know it will be tension filled (always is before a long holiday weekend). Other WIP are on the large side and that makes for a "real estate" crunch. I'd rather scrub the john here at home than "be in the way".

I don't wanna go out in the rain!

o

Happy Birthday Week Marian!

o

Good morning buddies and pals! (((((Janie))))

Bounced through this thread and, given that it's 35 and raining here this morning, really enjoyed all the pics.

New Job 1st day was great!! I'm back in my baliwick, have a boss who trusts my knowledge, work with people confident enough to truly welcome me, and am looking forward to Day 2. Found out that this company hires only 1 in 30 account exec applicants so need to be on my best and let them know they made a good decision.

Also found out that we get 2.5 days off for Thanksgiving. Me thinks I'm gonna like it here :-)

Chelone -- it's only your boss's insecurities, but a pain in the patoot nonetheless. She doesn't have enough to do .....

Marian: I used to call what you've described as Nolan's state of mind my grandmother's "Out" days. It is painful to watch, but I learned that if she was smiling, she was in a better place than most of the rest of the world. Dealing with what she did with those happy thoughts was sometimes a challenge, but we learned to Ask For Help when we needed it.

Kids and shots ... Kyle still needs to get allergy shots twice a year and I stopped going into the room with him when his dad couldn't be there, when he was 13. That was the same year he was released from wearing corrective glasses and the nurse suggested that since so much was going on, I eavesdrop outside the door. That worked for the next year and then he was on his own. I still have a hard time on his appt days and the poor kid is 19!!! I learned in "Mom School" that we are allowed and maybe even expected to hover sometimes :-)

I'm sure I've missed something I wanted to say to someone, but need to get ready for work and go! No major traveling this week -- next week is a different story but it's what I love to do. I'll be working the I-91 corridor from the CT/MA line up to New Hampshire. What a Shame ;-) It's only one of the most beautiful river valleys anywhere ....

Best to all, and to all, Good Morning, again!!!!

Martie

o

Morning all,

I'm feeling pretty cranky and lousy at the moment. I've got to go for blood work this morning and it is a fasting test so no breakfast, no coffee and I ate a light supper last night because we were going for our dancing class. Soooo I'm very hungry and in caffine withdrawal. LOL

(((((Jerri))))) I hope Sassy has met Alfred Cat in kitty heaven. I didn't get another furbie for fifteen years after 'Freddie' died. I still miss that cat.

Honey, Oh no about the gusher. What a bummer.

OK Its time for me to run out to the lab and get this blood drawn so I'll check in later. I'll be in a much better mood when I've got my AM coffee in my hand.

Deanne

o
RE: Idyll 238 - Happy Thanksgiving week ~

Jerri, so sorry about Sassy. Thanks for letting us know, I've been thinking about you.

Chelone, check Ebay for a matching cake knife to your pattern. It may not be there now, but if you put an automatic search in, you'll get an email when the piece shows up there.

Honey, sorry about your toe! And your sprinkler system, is it really only $100 to repair? Nice to see your updates here, we've missed you!

Jane, looks like the girls had a blast painting the recycle bin. What a neat idea :-)

Not much new here. Exited about a 4 day week-end though! Monty has a wound on his foot. I discovered it when I was clipping nails Sunday night. He'd been reluctant and slow on stairs for a day or so and I thought it was his hips (which we're going to the vet about on Friday.) Very ugly wound, more like a knob of exposed flesh than a simple cut. I found neosporine 'with pain relief' at drugstore so sticking with that for now and vet wrap, but of course he takes the vet wrap off and then licks the neosporine. There's a box of 'liquid band aid' sitting here on my desk that I'm considering using... Does anyone have input on that product? I will try it first on myself to see how it feels.

Ei & Babs, nice to 'see' you !

Still no gutter people. I called yesterday and the woman who answered told me she would call back with an answer by the 'end of the day.' I failed to ask 'which day.'

Have a good one everyone! Cynthia

o

We have a few snow flurries flying around here this morning and it's a cold 32F. Just checked the 15 day forecast and it looks like no more days over 40F for a while. Snow's in the forecast for the rest of the week too. Seems that winter may be making an appearance. I've promised Brad no more projects for a while. Wonder how long "a while" is, lol? I've been keeping him pretty busy lately so I'm going to do some housecleaning today and tomorrow and then after Thanksgiving I'll work on the holiday decorations and shopping. I'll give him a break at least over the holiday weekend. My sister always has Thanksgiving at her house for about 30 people and I always do the pies, 2 pumpkin and 2 french apple. I like to bake them early on Thanksgiving morning so they're nice and fresh.

Deanne, hope you get right in for the blood drawing and can scoot out of there quick for a coffee. I had to have a fasting glucose test a few years ago. They drew blood every hour for 5 hours and I had the worst headache I ever remember having. No fun.

Martie, so glad to hear you are liking the new job so much.

Marian, sorry to hear that Nolon had a bad day yesterday. Enjoy your visit with Tim on Saturday.

Honey, ouch on the broken toe. I've never broken anything but have stubbed my toes pretty hard in the past and can imagine how much breaking one hurts. Hope you make it through Thanksgiving with DS ok.

Babs, how exciting that you may have a new job. Will you be able to work from home then?

Woody, David and Jennifer went and saw the Harry Potter movie the other night too and they really liked it.

Sue, oh to be able to grocery shop online. That would be my dream come true. I would cook so much more if I didn't have to make a trip to the grocery store for the ingredients. You're a lucky girl.

Speaking of groceries, I have to get some sometime today. I'm thinking lasagna for dinner tonight. Have a good day all.

Eden

o

Jerri, I'm so sorry about Sassy!

o

Tue, Nov 22, 05 at 9:12

(((Jerri))) She's not in pain now, but it's hard.

Deanne, I had to fast for 14 hours Friday, but it was 15 before I got my turn at the lab, then another 2 hours after the orange sugar drink for the glucose test, and finally 18 hours after my last bit of sustenance I was allowed to eat. Best darned omelette I ever had! Hope you get your coffee and over your cranky soon. I find out today the results of Friday's deprivation.

V, lololol! If I went for the source of the irritation it would be like hitting my own foot with a puck.

Martie, job sounds perfect!

Babs, job sounds perfect!

Eden, the "honey do" list never really ends does it? But once in a while it's good to let them think it's getting shorter, lol!

Well that's all I got this morning. Thanks for the continued good wishes everyone. Time for a nap.

Taryn

o

It is a frosty 28 degrees here this morning. I have a fire going in the living room woodstove and turned the furnace up a bit too.

Jerri, I was sorry to read that Sassy had a relapse, you've been on my mind.

DIY (television channel) just did a segment on orchid growing. I thought of Deanne & Marian. Beautiful plants and they said they weren't difficult to grow. Uh huh....okay.

Cynthia, I keep forgetting to tell you that I enjoyed and shared your turkey link. I've played it a few times just for my own enjoyment. Clever and cute.

My isp has decided that I spend far too much time at the computer so it curtailed 99.9% of my emails. I got no personal emails yesterday and only a couple of emails from my quilting group lists. Frustrating? Oh YES - major frustration here. Living where/how I do, the emails and this group are a big part of my daily interaction with others. Winter time brings its own depressing times but without emails? Watch me sink into deep depression. Hopefully whatever glitch has happened will be fixed soon.

DIY just showed how to air layer plants. I also came across a pattern for a pvc light holder for indoor seed starting. A morning full of interesting tidbits. I'll get smarter if I'm not careful. ;o)

Honey, it was wonderful to see a note from you---sorry about the water woes & the toe.

Babs, congratulations on the new job prospect! I hope you get the serger of your dreams. I've looked at them for years but never have taken that big step. I'd enjoy reading about what you buy.

Hello to all! (I need more coffee).

o

Good morning! Okay, I have the "computer cranks" this morning. It's one of those days when I wish I WASN'T the one who knows how to fix all the minor irrations with the computers. Or maybe I have a "late meeting on a work night" hangover? The good news is that I get to leave early to attend another meeting, but I should get home early so I can bake the first Thanksgiving pie tonight. I'll do a traditional pumpkin for the Wednesday evening Pie Fest at church. Someone has to make up for all those store-bought pies!

I'm looking forward to a four day weekend as well, although there is a slight hitch in the plans. I got a phone call last night that one of my cousins passed away. She had been ill for several years but would not allow anyone in the extended family to know what was going another. Oddly, I was thinking about her just a couple of days ago and wondering if I would ever hear if something happened to her, but her daughter did call. Her brother died almost fifteen years ago and no one in the family was told when it happened. He had been a member of a Catholic religious order and shortly before he died, he was removed from the order, so I have my theories about what happened there. But I don't know why his sister cut herself off from the family as much as she did.

Jerri, I'm so sorry about Sassy. They do give an awful lot of love in the relatively short time we have them, don't they?

Martie, the new job sounds great! And good luck to Babs - that sounds right up your alley.

Time to go resolve the backup software issues. Later!

V.

o

Thanks for the comments on my toe. It's healing pretty fast and the swelling is down but it's still shades of red, blue purple, yellow, etc. I bot some new walking shoes which give it support and that helps.

This will be a quick drive by. I have several things to return and need to catch the pre-holiday sales, see if I can get some cedar roping for the front of the house, see if the fabric store still has the print I've used in the GR for a possible swag in the upper hall, and pick up a few things at the grocery.

Chelone, wish you were my neighbor to consult on a drapery job. I've ordered some ready-mades that I'm going to alter as an over-treatment in the GR. I'm hoping they'll arrive by Friday so I can work on them. One of my windows is smack next to a corner on one side, and the sides of under and over treatment are in view on the other side. It seems that no matter which type over treatment I choose, one side of the treatment will be ascymetrical (SP?). I'm going to trim each side of Desert Tan pole top draperies with a band of "Cinnabar" (which is a "dead-on" match to the cottage red wall in the GR. I was also thinking of using any extra Cinnabar fabric for table runners, etc.

Also on my agenda today, is to drag out all the misc. xmas presents I've purchased thru the yr to see what I still need to purchase. With all the bad news around here, we're going lite on xmas.

Thinking of all and hoping your holiday prep is going smoothly. Later.

o

OK I'm back again with my coffee at my elbow. Ahhhhhh..... Life is good. I was very lucky I was the first patient at the lab this morning so there was no wait. I've got great veins and it was quick and painless. You've got to love a good phlebotomist. I sure hope they find Im hypo again and that will explain all the work with no results thing again.

V. Yea about your making home made pumpkin pies. I really do love a home baked pie and always do my own for Thanksgiving. And of course they have to have real whipped cream. Yaba daba do! ~~~ So very sorry about your cousin. How sad to be cut off from family.

T, but orchids really arent that difficult to grow, no really, Right Marian?

Taryn, 18 hours without food! Yikes I was only 15 hours and was ready to gnaw my knuckles. Ive been researching some info on calorie deprivation causing hypothyroidism and it does indeed and in fact happen. Im going to take a couple weeks off from the serious restrictions and see what happens. Im still going to keep my journal but increase up to my maintenance and hopefully get my metabolism up and running again. Apparently without thyroid hormone you CANT metabolize fat stores and will feed off your muscle tissue. Jeesh, this is way too complicated. Probably why every time I cut back calories and exercise more I get hypo again. Pretty scary when I realize that my PCP is the one who recommended my eating only 1,500 per day.

Eden, your family Thanksgiving with 30 sounds like a lot of fun. I cant believe you make the pies Thanksgiving day though. That is dedication. What makes and apple pie a French Apple pie?~~~ LOL about Brads "Honey-Do" list. It sounds like youve been cracking the whip there.

Cynthia, so sorry about Montys ouchie. How did he do that I wonder? Ive used that liquid band aid on myself and it does work but I think Monty might just chew that off as well.

Martie, RE Kyle and shots, we never stop being moms and worrying about our babies even when they are 31 years old. ~~~ So glad to hear you are liking your new job so far. That is just terrific. So if you are coming up as far as NH Im right on the NH/MA border. Maybe we can meet for lunch sometime.

Babs, how exciting for you with that job possibility. I know youd just LOVE doing that. Sending good luck vibes your way.

Marian, sorry Nolon was out of it yesterday. What a bummer. It definitely could be a blood sugar issue. Hope today is better.

Honey, I missed the part about your broken toe earlier. Jeesh! That must have hurt miserably. Hope that heals quickly. So nice to see you posting again.

Sue, where do you have that Ville planted. I cant place it.

Mary, Is that first photo your garden???? I just love the Fascination with the banana in the background with what appears to be some kind of papyrus on the left. And the yellow dahlia? Glowing through the Verbena bonariensis! What a fabu-fabu combination!!!! Your second photo is lovely also but that firs one knocks my socks off.

I LOVE all the birthday photographs! Thanks everyone for adding all the pretties to the threads. What fun.

OK Must run to the store then start baking.

Have a great day everyone,
Deanne

o

I have a large meatloaf in the Roaster oven , and am going to try to get my notes all typed up before it is done ( about 11:15 ) .

EP , in rereading the previous thread I noticed the birthday cake is for both Janie and I . Thank you .

Martie , you are so kind to not point out my blooper on your BD pic for me ! I saved the pic ( and all the others ) to my 'Pictures' and saw the caption ! 'Tuberous begonias that you grew from seed ' . These old eyes combined with an aging brain aren't functioning too sharply ! :-(

Babs , I could not get your Dicentra pic to download completely , so couldn't read who it was for ! I am going to play like it was for both of us !

Monique , That heather pic is great --- love that color ! I have never tried growing any of those type of acid loving plants . They probably would do well here . Oooo , the Clerodendrum ugandese "Blue Butterfies " is so pretty . I hope to remember to look for one next spring .

Martie , I'm afraid Nolon isn't smiling on his "out days " . He is generally even grouchier looking than usual , and more testy .

Woody , thanks for the pretty pic and wish . I didn't see it until after I signed off last night . ( Cute pic of Misty for Jane , too . )

Chelone , I knew you would understand . I hope you never become 'senile' like I am , and trying to cope with someone else's senility ! Both of us together do not make one complete person ...LOL .

Jane , the girl's paint job on the bin is neat , and it looks like they sure had fun .... and that is 'neat' too . :-)

Honey , I got my BD pic from you downloaded completely last night , but can't today . I wanted to add it to my Pics , so I went to your Webshots , but it isn't there . :-(
I'll try getting it later when the ISP isn't so busy.

V , your cousins sound very much like mine . There were 5 of them , and most of them did not associate with the others . In fact they were filled with hatred towards one another . They made my sister promise she would not tell the others when they passed away . My sis lives in the same area and has remained on friendly terms with them all . She is having a dreadful time refraining from telling the survivers when one passes on . There is now only one left ( the oldest ). As far as I know , he does not know his last sibling died about 2 months ago . Evelyn wants so badly to tell him , but is torn between that , and her loyalty to the promises . Frankly , I WOULD tell him . I would not be involved in their pettiness !

Yep , Deanne is right - orchids are VERY hard to grow , only for the X-spurts !!!! ;-) LOL .
Deanne , I'm glad your tests are in the past . I have had the glucose tolerance tests , with the hours of fasting , and the eating and drinking of junk over the hours to see how 'you' react . Actually , I have always felt better while fasting . I wonder what that means ?

Re: pumpkin pies . I cooked a Mrs. Smith P pie in the Roaster yesterday . It is very good , even tho I didn't cook it as long as the box said .( Another senior moment ! )
I plan on making homemade pumpkin pie (Friday ), ( including the crust ), for Sat. , when Tim is to be here . I plan on making a cranberry-apple pie too , and will probably use the new rolled Pillsberry crusts that I bought the other day .

Congrats to the recipients of new jobs . I hope they continue to be pleasant . I hope the GM woes do not effect any of 'us' here .

Marian

o

Well, here I am at Noon! I cleaned/polished/mended 3 huge curtains (8'H x 12'W) the 3/4" pipe screwed into the lower casing, made them not only unwieldy, but pretty heavy, too. I schlepped them up from the basement to the shop floor, one by one in the pouring rain (you access the basement through a garage door). It took me 4 hours to accomplish all the items on the "maintenance" checklist. They're bundled up and ready to go into winter storage. I can hardly wait to do the remaining 6! Then I made two 20"W x 70"H panels to cover the doors of a porch. I am now suffering from a "Dazzle hangover". Dazzle is the special product you use to clean and polish plastic "curtains". My boss was very low-key today. Had she suggested how to clean the curtains I was fully prepared to pull a Tom Sawyer and have her "demonstrate"... ;). But she didn't, she had her own set of woes with which to contend... lucky for me. She did tell me to take tomorrow off if I wanted to since I've gotten everything done she wanted to see crossed off the list. But I'll probably go in and deal with a few more curtains. That way, it'll be "curtains" for the curtains... until a year from now.

I have to clean the john downstairs, do some vacuuming, make Mum's bed, and re-rig the remaining shade. I went into a store called Yankee Candle on the way home, on the hunt for tapers. They have virtually nothing... only those scented candles and votives. So I may just have to "go shopping" later today. Perish the thought!

I've never purchased anything on e-bay, Cynthia. I've perused the silverware several times, but often the prices are commensurate with replacement services. Have you bought a lot of silver that way? I seem to recall a piece/two you purchased for a friend's birthday?

Just T, I know what you mean about feeling cut off from the world. I venture out to work each week, but I don't really socialize with friends much. By the end of a work day I'm TIRED, and then there is Mum. Many of my friends have kids and their days are equally full. It strikes me as rather strange that e-mails and places like this often prove more "convenient" and allow us to "interact" so easily. The helpmeet lamented the other day that he doesn't write much, though he reads voraciously. I commented that I, in fact, write rather a lot! He thought about that for a moment, and then realized that just because I happen to be TYPING doesn't mean I'm not "writing". It was something that gave him great pause. I am the one who writes regularly to our senators and congressmen! How are the elk faring these days, or maybe that ought to be, how is your yard faring? ;)

Martie, so happy you're liking your new position. I actually DO love my job, but as the season winds down it can get a little claustrophobic in the shop! If I remember correctly the Chinese character for "trouble" or "discord" is portrayed by two women under one roof...

Oh well, time to get movin' with the Tilex, the Soft Scrub, and the Comet... none of the pets seems terribly interested in the great outdoors. So, a quick cat box mine is probably in order, too.

o

I am trying to donate something special to my mother's church in her honour, something musical. Since she and Dad were both members of the traveling handbell choir, I am thinking perhaps that would be a good solution. (Thinking of V as I say this!) My sister and brother have yet to respond to the idea. We shall see.

The weather is cold and windy and grey. I had to nix the garden efforts I had planned for today because of this. Snow accumulating for the rest of the week. Grrrr.

Yesterday I made Hot and Sour soup from scratch for the first time. (We both have colds, so I thought it would be a hit!) Well it was good, but I think I'd try a different recipe the next time. It just wasn't totally yummy. It also used approximately 3,000 bowls in the preparation and I hate that.

Work on our enlarged environmental website is slow and frustrating. I am better at getting something done on my own, not dealing with loads of varying opinions for which there is no resolution. We have an important meeting on December 3rd, so I hope things come together soon. Meanwhile I work with things like Mission Statements, Aims and Objectives, Guiding Priciples- as well as dealing with personalities.

What's for dinner tonight at your house? With turkey day in the very near future, meals may not be very elaborate these days.

White specks falling outside my window now.
'bug

o

Chelone, I'm cleaning today too. The kitchen's close to done and I'm planning on the bathroom next. What fun I'm having, lol. Plus I have Bella as my helper today.

Marian, I confess that I use the Pillsbury rolled crusts. They are so easy and taste just as good as my homemade crusts.

Deanne, I don't have to do any other cooking on Thanksgiving so doing the pies early that morning are no biggie. French apple pie has a crumb topping. I've always used the recipe from the Betty Crocker Cookbook that I've had as since I've been married. One year I did a bunch of different versions of pumpkin pies but everyone seems to like the classic one best and I always have real whipped cream too.

Cynthia, hope Monty's wounded foot heals up really fast. I know you'll take the BEST care of it for him.

V, so sorry about your cousin.

Marie, I mentioned earlier, we're having lasagna and garlic bread tonight.

Now that we've heard from Honey I'm wondering what Drema's up to. We haven't heard from her in quite a while either. Drema??????

Well, Brad got to relax this morning and spent a while playing his guitar and then went off to play racquetball before going to work. I have been keeping him a little too busy with that honey do list considering that he works 7 day weeks at his job most of the time too. Speaking of work I'd best get back to mine if I want to finish all I have planned for today. TTYL, Eden

o

Mum's bathroom is cleaned thoroughly. Fresh towels and facecloths. Her bed is made, room is fresh and welcoming.

So is the catbox. :)

The shade is, as yet, unrigged. :( And I still have to vacuum the living area and declutter the table of residual painting accoutrements. Ugh. Am I the only one out there who suffers from the "last minute scurries"? I am so NOT organized (but the silverware IS polished and ready to go).

I'm not particularly obsessed with a sparkling home, nor am I freaked out by a less than perfect "table scape", I'm more concerned that guests have good food and a relaxing day. But I like having a pretty table and I always wish I had spent a little bit more time making it "just so"... . I DO have the cake stand (not the knife) and I'm reminded that I'd like to have a marble wine chiller, too; as well as a pretty wine bottle coaster for the red wine. And pretty trivets... you see? did I forget to mention the knife rests? (I know, I know!, but neo-Victorian that I am, I can't help it).

Time for another round of decluttering.

:)

I DON'T want to work tomorrow and am seriously entertaining the notion of "remaining on the compound" until it's time to retrieve the turkey and the cake (2-ish), at which time I could purchase the tapers for the candlesticks, too.

I'm NOT working tomorrow!

o

((Jerri)) I'm so sorry to hear about Sassy.

Happy Birthday to Marian and Janie!

It's been insane cooking around here. Finally got the last of (roughly) 200 chocolates dipped. Thank GOODNESS! The bright side is that I couldn't stand to EAT one of them if my life was at stake. I think I'm cured of chocolate for a while. Made two different Ritz cracker cookies..one with just peanut butter and one with pb and marshmallow creme, peanut butter balls, and a rip-off of the Mounds bar. The remaining chocolate got a bunch of peanuts dumped into it, and spread on wax paper. Not terribly pretty, but doesn't seem to be keeping anyone from eating it. As I was nearing the end of the chocolates, I ended up volunteering to make supper for my Mom, aunt, brother, a family friend, Jim and myself. Hey, why not--the kitchen is wrecked anyway. Got most of the way into making pork chops, mashed potatoes and gravy and discovered I was pretty well out of milk. Okay, half and half in the potatoes is a good idea, right?? Everyone ate too much, and had a good visit. Mom had fallen a while back and broke her shoulder. She's quite a bit better, and insisted on peeling potatoes, bless her heart. Aunt Martha also fell, and cracked her pelvis :( They live together and were joking about the fact that one has good legs, and one has good arms. Bless their hearts for having a sense of humor about the whole thing. Anyway, we all sat and talked for a long time, and after everyone left, I pretended there is no such thing as dirty dishes and went to bed. Not a good idea, as today was pie day. So, cleaned the kitchen all up....then messed it up again. Dishes are done again, in time to figure out what's for supper tonight. I'm afraid it's going to be frozen pizza. As for the pies, I have 2 regular apple, one apple with apple crisp topping (out of pie dough and ain't makin' more), 3 pumpkin, 1 apricot, 1 cherry, and one coconut cream. I'm also juggling around 2-22+ pound turkeys. The fridge is full, so they hang out on the porch in the daytime, and come in at night. Lol, I don't think it's the proper way to thaw turkey, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't make anyone sick. OH..and I made a gallon of pickled eggs and beets. And I can't stand them. Tomorrow will be filled with picking up the key to the community building and taking as much stuff as possible over there, and having the kids come over and cook. Christina is making pumpkin logs, and Phillip is making another cherry pie. Cherry pie is his favorite, and he's a little concerned that one won't be enough. They both have tiny kitchens, so they're going to cook here. Will be interesting to see how they get along cooking together ;)

My eyelids are getting heavy, so I'm gonna cut out (and it's only 5:00!!!) and will catch up later. Have a good evening, everyone.....
Brenda

o

A quick check in here. Ive got eight minutes to finish processing and I"ll be a brunette again. Phew. Those gray hairs really dont do much for my look. LOL~~

Chelone, Im LOL about your de-cluttering and loving things like knife rests. I love a beautiful table also and really like the table set up with the good silverware and Waterford. Lots of fun. Im really very happy that I only have 14 for dinner this year because I dont have to move the sofa and other furniture out of the dining room and set up the extra table which is a huge amount of work before and after Thanksgiving.

Eden, I always make my own pie crusts because I like to fix them with half whole wheat flour and I cant find any ready mades with the whole wheat. ~~ Glad to hear Brad had some music time today. Ive promised myself that I will start practicing on a regular basis after the first of the year so just in case a guitar happens to leap into my hands at the next Idyllunion I wont embarrass myself.

Bug, the donation to your mothers church seems like such a nice idea. How neat your parents were in the handbell choir. ~~ One of my friends used to make awesome Hot and Sour soup. Im going to email her for her recipe.

Marian, that cranberry-apple pie sounds yummy. Ive never had that combination before. Do you have the recipe for the filling??

Brenda, wow! you've been cooking up a storm. You'll have to let us know how your celebration goes. Sounds like a lot of fun.

OK time to run and get this hair gack out of my head.

Have a good evening everyone,
Deanne

o

Marian, you said you felt better while fasting and wondered what that meant. Food allergy is a very good reason for that. You can do a challenge diet by fasting, then adding one food at a time and keeping a detailed journal of how you feel physically, mentally, and emotionally. Some foods that are highly allergenic include fish, esp shellfish, beef, eggs, dairy products, wheat, tomatoes and other nightshades, citrus, strawberries. It generally turns out to be your favorite food and the food you eat most often. *Please* ask your dr to check Nolan's B12 level.
VG

o

Deanne , the cranberry apple pie recipe is one I found on a Google search . I have never made it , but it sounds good , and easy , and I have all the ingredients . :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pie link

o
RE: Idyll 238 - Happy Thanksgiving week -Oh -a PS

VG , I wish I had the willpower to do the elimination diet . I have thought about it . It very well could be a food allergy . I am overly sensitve to almost everything , not just food .
BTW , It's good to see you here again . I saw your post on Deanne's Picture thread , and was hoping to see you here .

Wow , Brenda , you have been a busy cookie dipping gal ! I'll bet you are called on to do all sorts of jobs for the community . Your mom and aunt sound like fun ladies . It's great that the kids are helping with the cooking . All those pies are making my mouth water !

Eden , thanks for the thumbs up on the Pillsberry rolled crusts . They will be a new experience for me . I like to make my own crusts , but so many cooking chores really hurt my bum arm . I have a simple pie crust recipe that I have used for years , and it makes what I consider good crusts .

Marian

o

VG, good to hear from you! You've been quiet for too long.

And speaking of quiet, let me get loud for a minute.

Hey Drema!

I hope Drema can find a few minutes to check in and say hello.

The pie plan went out the window. Must have asked 10 times over the weekend what else we needed from the grocery store. Do you think the person who polished off the eggs would fess up to the crime?

Marian - shh, don't tell but I always use the Pillsbury crusts and they turn out great. I've even gotten compliments on my pie crust!

So the new plan is to clean the house a bit instead. I just heard a long, loud dog sigh and I think I second that emotion!

DS comes home tomorrow night and I'm really eager to see him. Had a long conversation with him tonight as his roomies all left over the weekend and he sounded a bit lonely last night. He's hanging in there but I think he'll be glad to be home. He told me tonight his 21st burthday falls in the middle of spring break. I'm kind of glad he won't be on a college campus for that milestone (nor will he be in Cancun or Florida!)

Yikes! I just checked the weather forecast and we're due to get an inch of snow tonight. It will be ugly dog-walking weather in the morning.

Chelone, can I tell you that I'll miss your regular posting when your mom returns? And did I get this right - you're cleaning the litter box for her???

Marie, I think your idea of a musical memorial in your mother's honor is a great one. While every church is different, I know our handbell choir is always operating on a shoestring and we are all greatly appreciative of the memorials that we do receive. Tell your brother and sister that Mother V says to listen to your good idea!

The clocking is ticking and the dust hasn't moved, so maybe I'd better. Hope everyone has a good evening.

V.

o

OK, the groceries were delivered on time, Tom picked up the turkey, the livingroom is cleaned and despite having what is turning into a rather annoying head and possible chest cold I managed to work out and throw a decent dinner on the table. Now I'm going to chug some Nyquil and head off to bed. Tomorrow is another day.

Sue

o

OK, it was feta stuffed portobello mushrooms and fresh asparagus with lemon tonight, followed by french vanilla ice cream. That's all I could come up with at the last minute before DH napped and then left for his hockey game. This week it is at 9:30 instead of 11pm.

Yes, there are missing persons and Drema is certainly one of them. It is great to see Honey, VG, Jerri and Brenda showing up though.

Since Chelone is NOT working tomorrow, perhaps we'll get one more day of fun reports from Maine. I hope for more though....Even if I am not a member of the silverware and crystal crowd, I do like to see it at your homes ladies! I do have a silver cake knife (for our wedding cake 37+ years ago)and enjoy fun dishes, but my family holds nothing sacred, so there is no point in crying every time a silver spoon is found in a sandbox or a sentimental china dish is found holding a soldering iron. I guess that would be a fine winter activity though, polishing the silver! We use chop sticks pretty often...and not ivory ones either.

Better go check on the rabbits now. It is ever so cold(19F) and we can't have their water freezing.

'bug

o

The supermarket was empty at 10:30 tonight, guess now that everyone has their groceries delivered by Peapod it's safe to go back there!

o

I need to go shopping too...but NOT for thanksgiving things. Instead, I need to get goodies for friday's French Club gathering. Anyone want to come fracture French with me? We are going to Ghizlaine and Dominique's home. ;-)

Bonne Nuit!

o

Holy mackeral! Brenda; your's isn't a kitchen it's a production line. I'm impressed. And I laughed right out loud at your novel method dor thawing turkeys. You should be OK as long as you don't serve it "rare". :)

V., maybe getting Mum to use a litter box isn't such a bad idea; depending on the day sometimes her aim isn't all that great (the tap is at the bottom of the pouch which she always holds up to see and squirts some under the toilet seat before letting it just drain out). Taryn isn't the only one dealing with "control issues". I think you're on to something there! Smiled at the notion of your son passing the 21 milestone in the safety of your home. Legal age was 18 for me, and I was about halfway through my senior year in HS. Thoroughly geeky at that time (and definitely NOT among the "movers and shakers"), I was amused when they began currying favor with me and I began receiving invitations to very cool parties. Gee, I wonder why? You'll be baking today, yes?

I will be vacuuming (clouds of animal hair are again rolling across the floor). Maybe I ought to just shave them all. And washing bedsheets.

The rains storm was blown out of here early in the morning. The wind was just HOWLING, and today is going to be quite chilly. We HAVE to take the canopy down when the helpmeet returns from work, IF the weatherman forecasts snow. And if I have any spare time today I have to try to rescue the Geraniums, still gamely hanging on in the windowboxes.

Today is the day the helpmeets dreads most of all; he has to be at work at 7AM to meet the driver who's delivering 375 Christmas trees. As he puts it, "when next you see me, my love, I will reek of balsam." I did notice telltale needles in the washing machine over the weekend; traces of the kissing balls which have already arrived, along with wreaths and "brush".

I scoped out the replacement site for silverware last night. My grandmother's service is missing one dinner fork and I wanted to see if there was a cake knife. NO, but there was a cake "pick" (looks like a comb with really long tines). And I was amazed at the going price for gold dipped grapefruit spoons and bouillon spoons; the range of available utensils fascinates me, but in 1909 people ate and entertained very differently than they do now. I have a particularly interesting book called "The Art of the Table" by Suzanne von Drachenfels, that explains the evolution of all facets of "dining ware"; including their manufacture. It's a great resource, full of history and humor, too.

I have to tune in the local weather. Later, dudettes!

o

Our local weather forecast was pretty accurate. There's at least an inch of wet snow and it's still coming down. Morning drive will be ugly!

I decided this morning that being out of eggs last night was a good thing. I had taken the can of pumpkin and can of evaporated milk out of the cabinet but it turns out the second can was the jellied cranberries. I think I would have had the can open before I noticed.

Gonna run and hit the shower a little early this morning!

V.

o

Good morning and TGIW - and a four day weekend! Just wanted to stop by quickly and wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. I've been reading along, but every time I try to collect my thoughts to post I get interrupted.

I have to go to work all day (one of the disadvantages of being 1/2 of the office staff - the other 1/2 of the staff (my SIL) is in Florida having Thanksgiving with my MIL and FIL. We celebrate the day locally with my parents and my brother, rather quiet actually. The office is open all day unfortunately, so I am stuck there until 5pm. Luckily I am not cooking the big dinner, only bringing a dessert which I can make tonite.

I hope everyone has dried out from their water woes. We actually had a leak at the office yesterday, and two ceiling tiles fell down and made a big, soggy mess. At least it was away from any desks or equipment!

Happy Birthday to Janie & Marian!

Honey, sorry about your toe. I can certainly sympathize with foot troubles. The advice to elevate is right on, and don't overdo it by running around too much until you are healed!

Jerri, so sad about your Sassy. The image of your cat frolicking in the great beyond with all the other cats who have gone before made me smile though.

Sorry for not commenting more, but I am reading along and thinking of all of you.

Have to run now, kids are wanting breakfast. Have a good one!

-Wendy

o

Good morning to cookers and bakers and shakers!!

Here, Kyle is doing pumpkin pies and I'm just doing pecan, frozen maple mousse, roast walnuts and whole cranberry sauce. Lots of little quick things. I'm actually NOT missing thawing a turkey or peeling tons of potatoes.

I'm with all of you who do fine tables, but am also with 'bug when it comes to loss. My favorite table pieces are cut glass salt holders with teeny spoons to scoop. Most people don't know what to do with them and it's fun to see 6'4" tough guys revert to Victorian gentlemen :-) On the other hand, our family vintage colored glass is used as plant holders.

Marian: Hope Nolan is feeling better and I'm glad, glad, glad that you'll get to see Tim.

RE: Pie crust - It's Pillsbury, Oronaque or nothing in this house :-))))

Brenda: Anything with chocolate, no matter what the "image", is worth putting on the table.

Babs: Make it two for two in the Great Job Hunt! It sounds wonderful and rather than jinxing your chances, I think all the good thoughts from here will only make it happen!

EEEEek. Just looked at the time. Am still getting used to being in an office first thing in the morning (only for two weeks ...) so gotta run.

Best to All and Deanne -- we will meet for lunch!!!! I'll be setting my plans, soon. Sue and Monique, too.

Martie

o

We're supposed to be getting an arctic blast through here today and tomorrow. January weather they say. I have to make a trek to the grocery store, or maybe I can talk Brad into going for me, for pie making supplies. My mom and dad will be down later today and I'm kind of worried because it looks like they'll be driving down in snow. It's about a 230 mile trip for them. I hope they get started early.

Chelone, I turned 18 in 1975. Those 1970's were a crazy, crazy time. There was plenty of alcohol at every high school party in those days even for the 15 and 16 year olds. When my girls were growing up I was very thankful that the drinking age had been changed back to 21.

Brenda, that's some marathon cooking you've been doing there. The candy all sounds yummy and makes me want to do some for Christmas. How's your back holding up with all the standing in the kitchen? Nothing bothers my back as much as spending all day cooking.

Sue, no fun to have a cold with company coming. Hope you're feeling better this morning.

Vacuumng, as always, is high on my priority list today. And Bella will be here this evening. She's getting another tooth and she's not happy about it, lol. Everyone have fun today getting ready for Turkey Day tomorrow. I'll be back later.

Eden

o

T, as you are enjoying your coffee start thinking about your curvy beds. It's worth the effort, according to the latest university research: "From a consumer's perspective, a good landscape can improve perceived home value by 12%," said MSU professor Bridget Behe. "What we see in design sophistication is that a curved bed costs about the same as a straight line bed to install, but can enhance home value by 1%-2% by itself. Simply curving bed lines could add $2,500 to $5,000 to the perceived value of a $250,000 home."

V. the troublemaker

o

Morning Idyll friends,

Well, I felt so noble last night, I went to dinner at CR Sparks (Cynthia, you remember that place?) Anyway I had a Ceasar salad with no croutons and no dressing so I essentially paid for romaine lettuce with shaved parmesan cheese on it and I was OK with that. Then instead of ordering the filet steak I normally get there I had the salmon with no sauce and no rice I asked them to prepare it with a green veggie so I had it served with steamed broccoli with no butter on anything. And the good news, is that I enjoyed the meal enormously. Progress is being made.

We probably got about another inch of rain last night. Thank heavens it wasn't snow. It did start sleeting for a bit but nothibg stuck. It looks like I'll never finish up the garden cleanup this year and I'll have to get to this in the spring.

All the Thanksgiving shopping is done. Doug got the salmon smoked Monday night (YOu guys who attended the Idyllunion remember Doug's Smoked Salmon? YUM)and today I'm going to do all my baking and get the behemoth Blue Hubbard Squash cooked. Long day today. DD is supposed to come this afternoon and help me with polishing up the house. Things are moving along to a great celebration tomorrow. Can't wait! I just love Thanksgiving.

So all you kitty people out there have you ever heard of Nurto Natural Choice Complete Care cat food??? I just bought a bag of the chicken and they boys LOVE it. The person at the pet store said it is all natural food and made with the chicken parts we'd eat yada yada... Anyway, it was a good price and she gave me a 2 dollar coupon so I bought it and to my surprise Luke and Rahjii prefer it to all their other food. I was pretty surprised.

I don't remember if I told you yet that we finally got all the fish in the house on Sunday and OMG, they are ENORMOUS. Everyone who sees them makes jokes about having them for dinner. I seriously did not know goldfish could get this big. The big girls are probably a foot long and their bodies are about 4.5 to 5 inches deep. I'm hoping I can keep them in good health through the winter because they really are too many huge fish for the size of the aquarium.

Sue, bummer about getting sick. I hope you can shake that off soon. There has been a lot of virus going around already this season. Too neat you can order all your groceries delivered. I wish I had a service like that here. How much does the delivery cost or is that built into the price of the food.

Martie, cool! That will be great to get to meet you.

Chelone, we learned how to zig-zag on Monday, so now we can do the basic box step, a rock turn and a zig-zag. WE are supposed to learn several other new steps next week. Cool. I'm still having a bit of trouble following but am getting better at it.

Eden, I sure hope the snow holds off until your parents finish their drive. That's a worry.

Wendy, so great to hear from you. How very strange you had a water leak at your office too. Turns out two of my immediate neighbors had their water heaters fail last week and had basements full of water. Jeesh!

So V, pumpkin and cranberry pie? It might have been interesting. Cold here too and we are supposed to have snow tomorrow. I'm not ready for this!

Bug I wish I could come to your French club with you. I might be able to regain some of my usage of the language. I did speak French when I was a child in grade school but it has long since left me. My grandpere's name was Onesime Napoleon Michaud. Now that's a mouthfull.

Marian, thanks for the pie link. Looks good. I might try that for Christmas. If I don't make pumpkin and pecan pie for Thanksgiving people are disappointed. My friend's daughter is going to make the apple pie.

OK time to get to the gym. I REALLY don't feel like it today but must do it.

Later
Deanne

o

Happy Thanksgiving to everybody, and Happy Birthday to Janie and Marian.

Jerri, I'm so sorry about your kitty. I know the pain.

Chelone, your DH won't be getting any of "our" trees. lol! DD and I have been working in the Christmas trees since early Nov. It's often a daylight until well after dark job. She ties the tags on and I count as they are loaded on the tractor-trailers. So far we've shipped trees to Home Depots in MA, NJ, MD, PA; and to Lowes in IN, AL, SC, MS. Most of our loads have been 625 or 650 trees. Re the smell..I LOVE the smell of Fraser fir:-) It's a very cold job but when it gets really cold we have a tractor we can take turns sitting in to warm up. whoever sits in the tractor runs the counter. We have to be "on call", we're only a half a mile or so from the loading area so when a truck comes in, somebody just drives down, beeps the horn and we take off. The trucks are notorious for never being on time and if we have to sit and wait for one, we still get paid our hourly wage. Last week, 5 semis showed up just at dark and had to be loaded. It takes 2 to 2 1/2 hours to load a truck, so you can see when that work day was over!

Gotta run!!
VG

o

Gray skies with white flecks in the air, ice on the pond and creek, wind, temperature 19F and snowsquall warnings in effect. Oh joy....

o

I'm riding hard on finishing the living area. No "nook of granny" is safe from the the Kirby and its many attachments. The cats fled, all except old Floey, who remains undaunted. Wrecks has been restlessly keeping about 12' ahead of the noise. I have collected no fewer than 5 tennis balls from under various pieces of furniture and similarly inaccessible places, also several bottle caps (hockey pucks for kitties).

While I was shoving the wand around I was thinking about attachment to china, silverware, heirlooms. I confess, I am irritated when things are broken through carelessness, but when something falls in the line of duty, I'm OK with it. Nothing is forever and if you allow things to remain on shelves for "display" purposes, then you don't own them, THEY own you. The 'rents were great that way. Mum had 3 aunts who never married and were career women in the '20s and '30s. After my grandfather hanged himself and left my grandmother with 3 kids two weeks before the stock market crashed the aunts stepped up to the plate and provided the money to support their sister and their neices and nephew. They travelled extensively and always brought back "lovelies" from Europe. As a child, I was transfixed by the collection of tea cups in the china cabinet. It was the morning ritual to select the cup to hold my hot chocolate. I was probably the only kid of 5-6 who had cocoa in Spode, Wedgwood, or Minton cups in our neighborhood. One morning I stumbled over the threshold to the dining room and the teacup crashed to the floor. I was paralyzed and burst into tears. Unfazed, Mum took my face in her hands and told me it was the job of teacups to hold hot liquid and sometimes they were broken in service. I selected the replacement and we made more cocoa. Birthday parties were always "dress up" occasions and the family silver and linen always appeared on the dining room table. Several of my friends were not permitted into the living rooms in their homes... our home? building blocks, model horses, and Tonka trucks were always driving the created highways on the big oriental rug and under the Empire coffee table and sofa. My brother and I lived in our home and we used things. This is the time of year nostalgia appears, thanks for the reminder!

Back to the task at hand. Poor Rex will have to relinquish his "bed" (the Empire sofa!). ;)

o

Appreciate the 'morning news' but limiting internet time. Wishing all a happy week. EP

o

Wed, Nov 23, 05 at 9:52

Great story Chelone! And VG, how interesting about the xmas trees. The things we city folk don't even think about!

So V, based on your curvy bed theory I should get full asking price for my completely (and curvy) sans grass front garden? LOL! Nice theory...

Deanne you should be proud! And now you've got me drooling over Doug's smoked salmon, which was without a doubt the BEST I've ever had!

Brenda, holy chocolate! I don't think I could manage a factory operation like that, but if it makes one unable to look at chocolate anymore, it may be worth a shot. :)

Marian, sorry you had a bad day with Nolon, and on your birthday to boot. Wish there was a way it could be easier for you both.

And Honey, sorry I forgot to comment on your poor toe! I managed to break my 4th little piggy when I rammed it into the corner baseboard in 2002, and was amazed at how such a tiny little digit could hurt so bad! It was February, the height of winter, ice, sleet and snow, and I couldn't even get a sock on for a week. Thank God for my neighbors and friends who pitched in and got the kids to school and back for me for a couple of weeks. Hope you're on the mend soon.

T, I know how you feel. Being confined to my lovely blue prison all winter, it's nice to know you guys are 'out there' when I need a break from Ebay, and I'd feel pretty disconnected if I was disconnected. I think after we move and get settled I'm going to look for a job, at least part time, now that the boys are older. I could work at a ginseng or tobacco farm, get my exercise, sunshine quota, good money and social contact too! Hope your emails are getting through now.

Speaking of winter and icy and snow, they are calling for 2-4 inches of snow tonight, and a low of 21 degrees. High today only 28F, and wind, snowsqualls, blowing snow tomorrow. I HAVE to make a decision about where to winter my plants very soon, as they won't keep forever in the greenhouse (unless I heat it, which will be expensive but not if for a week or two). So, should I keep the faith that we'll get an offer soon, and be closing at the new place 2 weeks later as agreed upon and hold off? Or should I get my pots in my neigbhor's veggie patch SOON and leave it until spring? I'm going to be pouring bags of soil around them to create a temporary raised bed so it doesn't matter if the ground is frozen, as the bags won't be. And the snow usually doesn't stay until January. But how cold can they take it without succuming? The plants are all in the unheated greenhouse, surrounded by cold air right now. No frost heave or wind, but cold. Thoughts please?

After two days with 14 hour sleeps I feel semi-human today, and am going to try to blitz my Ebay listings today so I'm free the next couple of days before uploading them Friday. I've been putting off a girlfriend for coffee as I just haven't felt up to it, and also want to get ahead on xmas shopping before the crowds come. I really despise shopping at malls, and plan to order some gifts from my Lakota distributor, at wholesale prices. It just dawned on me they sell all kinds of natural soaps, cosmetics, aromatherapy oils and other nice little hostess gifts PLUS VITAMINS & HERBAL SUPPLEMENTS and I get them at 40% off retail! What the heck am I doing paying full price for flaxseed oil??? Duh...Have to peruse the catalogue and see what I can scoop.

But first, coffee (again!) and breaky call...

Have a great day everyone!

Taryn

o

Yesterday was moving day for Laura, Mike and Kenzie into the new house. Both Kenzie and Lucky (the dog) were out of sorts. My main job was to entertain Kenzie. I did do some work too. The house is very nice and Laura did a great job picking out the flooring, cabinets etc.

We just got a HDTV at work this week. Since we are a cable company, we have a TV in the front office. Discovery has lots of very pretty scenery that looks pretty nice in HD.

Chelone, what sweet childhood memories. Thanks for sharing. Interesting about the unusual victorian utensils. When DH was in Vietnam, he brought back a large chest of silverware (gold in color) It has never been used as it has so many unusual pieces that we really cant figure out what to use.

Deanne, pumpkin and pecan are the standards here also along with broccoli souffle. If we dont have the souffle, even the kids complain.

Monique, I dont recall that the shrub was that large, maybe 3-4. One volunteer there told me that they treat most things at the arboretum as annuals, so that maybe be the case.

V, you are sure the enabler today.

Honey, sorry to hear about the toe.

Cynthia, I was at Walmart getting groceries at 10:30 last night and it too was pretty quiet.

Brenda, I get such a kick out of your stories about your mom and aunts sense of humor.

Eden "Plus I have Bella as my helper today. " after trying to help Laura unpack moving boxes, I know what kind of "helper" you have. Kenzie wanted to help unpack boxes too. I think she thought it was like her birthday. She truly enjoyed playing with whatever it was that she unpacked.

Marian, I confess that I use the Pillsbury rolled

Taryn, I had a dream last night and you were in it. I was visiting you at your home and you lived by the ocean. Now where did that come from? :o)

RE: pies, I definitely will make homemade crusts. I can identify with what you are saying V, when I go to a church or fundraising supper that advertises pies, I want a good piece of homemade pie. These days you have to look pretty hard to find one though. Im thinking maybe I should try those Pillsbury crusts. Always real whipped cream here. So much nicer now that I have a Kitchenaid mixer to do the work for me.

As for a fine table, when my kids were young, I always used crystal etc. when my family came over. I love using it. My kids were always pretty calm and realized it was "special" and they needed to act accordingly and they were the only kids. When Ricks family comes, there are 7 grandsons and 1 gd and it can be a little roudy. I use stoneware and a more casual tablecloth when they come.

Have a great Thanksgiving all.

Michelle

o

Michelle, does your gold flatware look something like the link below? I have a similar set (same case, number of pieces, etc.) but the style is plain instead of bamboo. We received it as a wedding gift from a family friend who was working in Thailand at the time.

We use ours quite a bit, but it has to be hand washed.

V.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nickel bronze flatware

o

V, that is similar. Maybe I'll have to haul it sometime and suprise my company. Let them figure out what to use each piece for.

M

o

Afternoon, all! The first blast of winter came through this morning, snow and all. DH was kind enough to help me load up all the pies and take them over to the community building. Brakes went out on the truck on the way...it's always something. Must have a leak in one of the brake lines. He refilled the brake fluid, and told me not to take it anywhere. That leaves us his truck :( It's like driving a log wagon, and doesn't have a cap on it. Could be interesting dragging the turkeys over there in the morning. It's supposed to be snowing like crazy again tomorrow. I'm glad the pies are all over there, though. Now I don't have to worry about the dogs pulling a stunt. They were circling the island-evidently hoping a pie would find it's way onto the floor so they could eat it.

Marian, that cranberry apple pie sounds great! The kids are both pretty good cooks, and I figure they've "free loaded" enough, time to bring something, lol! I think it's just fun to have lots of different things.

V-NO ONE polished off the last of the eggs. NO ONE is a jerk. Around here, NO ONE leaves about 1/4 t. of milk and puts it back in the fridge, liberally scatters toast crumbs in the butter, etc. I thought maybe when Phillip moved out, NO ONE would go with him. No such luck. I'm pretty sure who to point the finger at now, though ;) I think the kids used to get crabbed at about a lot of stuff they didn't do, lol!

Marie, I think your idea for a memorial for your Mom is a great one, too and I'm sure it will be much appreciated.

Sue, sorry to hear about your cold. Thank goodness for Nyquil. I'm not sure if it makes me feel any better, but it does seem to knock me out so I don't know HOW I feel.

Chelone-my years working in a factory weren't wasted :) I can turn ANY project into an assembly line, and as long as people stay out of the way, I get things done in pretty short order. The biggest problem with the chocolates was finding places to put them until they set up enough to go into the box. I don't have that many places that the dogs can't reach, and they were pretty interested in that whole deal, too. I think Gus thinks that peanut butter is for dogs, and I don't think he quite understood what I was doing, lol!
I like the story about the teacups, and your Mum is exactly right. I've got a set of china and silver from my stepmother, and it's what we always ate off of every day at her house. Now that I've got a dining room in my future, I think it's time to bring it all back out into service. Things are replaceable.

Eden-My back is holding up surprisingly well, as standing in one spot for a long time does bother me sometimes. I think it's just glad to be in a different position-sitting in a tractor or combine for hours also bothers it. Lol, maybe I'm just slowly falling apart! I ordered chocolate online, I think the name of it was Callebaut-that's probably spelled wrong, but may be close enough for someone to recognize. It's delicious chocolate, and well worth spending a little extra on. The stuff I was buying locally was just too waxy, and had very little chocolate taste to it at all.

Deanne, smoked salmon sounds wonderful! Jim wants to try doing one, so we're gonna have to have a dinner party. I just don't see the two of us being able to deal with that much salmon.

Taryn, my chocolate factory is a pretty fun place to work. I set the computer to "shuffle" all my Jimmy Buffett tracks, make lots of coffee, and away we go! My singing isn't anything to brag about, but I have a good time :) And, by tomorrow, I'll probably be able to eat chocolate again. I don't think there's a long-term cure for me.

Honey, I must have missed how you broke your toe, (I'm not all caught up yet) but I'm sorry to hear it. If your feets ain't happy........you ain't happy.

Michelle-my Mom and Aunt are really a hoot. My Aunt used to own a bar in South Bend (fair sized city for those who aren't familiar). There was a guy in there one night who started a fight, and had a gun. Aunt Martha grabbed him by the collar and pitched him out the door. Spunky, to say the least!
Don't you just LOVE your KitchenAid mixer?? I've got the big stand mixer, and I don't use it all the time, but wouldn't be without it when it's time to do serious baking. Jim got it for me the second Christmas we were married. Money was tight that year, and we had decided we weren't going to get each other anything, we'd just get stuff for the kids. Then, he comes in with this HUGE box. Of course, I started bawling, cuz I had wanted one of those for a long time. When I mentioned that we weren't supposed to get each other anything, he pointed out that he was probably going to get a lot of benefit out of it. I don't think he's been disappointed.

Guess I should get busy again. I need to pack up the box of junk I gotta drag along. Have to take our own dishcloths, hand mixer, coffee, creamer, etc.

If I don't get back, hope everyone in the US has a Happy Thanksgiving, and everyone in Canada has a great November 24th :)
Brenda

o

Bummer about the brakes, Brenda. We just had a run on that particular repair, too. We drive cars until they either rust away or repairing them costs more than they're worth. (my car is 12, and the helpmeet's is 13). He just had the brake lines replaced and so did I! (are we going to a rash of brake work now that the plumbing crises are resolved?). I approach work the same way you do! I think about what has to be done and then organize the work and just plough through it (I worked "in the line", piece rate in garment construction for a number of years; piece rate means TIME=MONEY, you figure out how to work efficiently pretty quickly or you find another line of work, lol).

I laughed at the notion of Bella and Kenzie "helping"; sort of the way cats "help". You have to love the curiosity and desire to part of everything, speaks highly of children who are loved and doted on. As it ought to be. :)

I have virtually everything done I needed to get done. My brother has decided that he and Mum are going to celebrate Thanksgiving at HIS house. So there will be just 3 of us tomorrow. He was concerned I might be upset by his decision. LOL! the way I see it, holidays are about leisure and NO PRESSURE. I always extend the invitation, and if he shows, GREAT, if he doesn't, I think that's great, too. The matriarch will be "handed off" over the weekend, at a time to be arranged.

It's COLD here! not numbing, but the sort of damp, cold you get next to the ocean. It's the kind of cold that keeps you cold once you're chilled. I was cleaning and Rex started barking, I looked out the window and my boss and co-worker pulled into the yard in the company truck. THEY TOOK DOWN THE CANOPY FOR ME! While they were doing that, I heated soup, made a sandwich for my co-worker, and melted some Swiss cheese over some whole grain bread for my boss. I made pot of coffee and set the water to boil for my boss' tea. When they finished, they came in and sat down to a warm, "proper" lunch. What a nice surprise... . They were surprised to have lunch laid before them... hot and ready to eat.

Jeez! I missed Vegan's post and Deanne's, too.

Vegan., the truck he was greeting today was from Colebrook, NH... long ride down through Dixville Notch to the coast of Maine. I dropped by the nursery today and he was cold and his feet were wet (bad combo. when it's raw out). He came home at noon and I had wools socks warmed up for him. Only people who work outdoors a lot really understand how cold it can get; and when it's a seasonal business... well, you "make hay while the sunshines" and cut Christmas trees whenever you have to to meet orders!

Deanne, I don't know what zig-zag is. Is it a variation on the box step? the one where you sort of do the box "diagonally"? Have you learned the "Promenade" yet? that's a really cool step, because you travel, but you "open", too. And once you learn the underarm turn you can really put together some moves. I love the "diagonal box" (can't remember the proper name... "open box"?). It takes a lot of time and PATIENCE to learn how to lead and to follow. You have to have a good sense of humor or you'll never get out of the box. What other dances are you learning? and what's your favorite? (PS: it's Blue HubbaHd, Deanne, you oughtta know that!).

I have done NOTHING outdoors, so I'm jealous of all of you with clean yahds. ;)

o

My mom and dad made it down safely. They just left here to go to my sisters. My mom made a really good pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling and we had a piece with some coffee. She also brought a cute little fleece jacket and hat she had made for Bella and a "tag blanket". Bella's more fascinated with the tags on things than she is toys so this blanket has different ribbons and other materials sown all around the perimeter for her to explore. The roads are getting a little slippery here. I had to go out for some thistle for the finches, they were hovering around their empty feeder and I felt sorry for them. I was glad to get back home safely. I don't like driving on snowy roads.

Eden

o

Oh dear. I think it is turning into the ancient vehicles thread.

I just received a call that the $700+ (that I don't have) that I am investing in a new crank shaft for the mower is not the only problem it turns out. Now they tell me! So 'we' now must decide what next. A new mower of this type is approximately $10,000. This year alone the repairs have been about $1500. Does this make sense? Sheeeesh!

DH is also feeling the time has come for our minivan which is beginning to cost too much in repairs. It is 8 years old, fairly young to us.

Add this to mandatory retirement and the phasing out of his medical benefits...

All very interesting. Tra-la!

The sun has emerged for a while this afternoon, but it is still below freezing. Certainly feels like January! I will be thankful...even if it isn't officially Thanksgiving here...that our furnace is still working! Long may it last!

o

Oh 'bug, I'm sorry you are having all of these things raining down on you right now. Sending good thoughts your way.

I just had the elk herd in the backyard again. The baby was there and I quickly set up the tripod so I wouldn't have fuzzy pictures when I tried to zoom in on them with the digital camera (I *need* a new/better camera with image stablization & a better zoom! lol). I took some photos with the digital and with my regular 35 mm camera & zoom lens. I got greedy and wanted to get closer so I tried to go out on the deck but they were spooked by me and went into the trees. I tried and tried to upload pics into PT but it kept saying there was no image to upload. I sure hope it is a glitch on their end and not something wrong here. Frustrated? Oh you betcha! I'll try again later.

My email still isn't working well. Our ISP says it is because of the widespread internet worm that is going around along with mass emails regarding Christmas sales from companies to their customers. They didn't say when they hoped to overcome the problems. Mail from Monday is trickling in and occasionally I'll get something within a couple hours of it being sent.

I am thankful though for the email glitch and for the PT glitch. Thankful? Oh yes. Even though it is frustrating and I'm gritting my teeth......it is allowing me to practice patience and I sure need to practice that. :o) Yeah right---she says sarcastically.

Hope everyone is enjoying a very nice day.

T. (who does have a little bit more curve in her front garden bed)......

o

Wed, Nov 23, 05 at 17:02

T, I'm getting the same message from PT, as I try to upload pics for Ebay. If you hit the back button on your browser then hit submit again, sometimes it will work after 2 or 3 times. Sometimes it shows completely different error messages though. The last 12 pictures I tried 12 times and gave up for today. Working on the 10 listings I was able to get the pics up for.

Re old vehicles, 1993 Aerostar badly needs tires before winter slip and slide season. And it's sounding more like a muscle car than a passenger van and needs exhaust system work too. There's also that squeal like a pig sound it makes when the heating/cooling system in turned on. Alternator? I dunno, but I DO know it's going to cost money we don't have right now (until we move). Sigh...

Taryn
(who will try to work on an attitude of gratitude for tomrrow)

o

It just feels like Thanksgiving outside. The cold caught everyone off guard and a lot of folks (including me) were running around in 30degF weather with too-light clothes. Sue -- Bundle UP!!!

We're supposed to get a few flurries tonight. "Mood setting" snow. I wish if it were going to snow, it would snow.

Taryn and your plants: What do you have out there? If I missed it in a previous note, please forgive me. I'd say that if it's hardy, sink it in your neighbor's bed, soon. Building a new raised bed is a job for your New home :-) ---positive thoughts, positive thoughts------

'bug: Sorry about the squalls and temp and wind. Can you stay really close to Charlotte when you go out to stay warm? She looks like a cuddler ..

Marian: Took a peek at the pie recipe and got extra cranberries on the way home. We have an awesome orchard nearby and got Ridgeway Russets and Cortland to make it with on Friday. Rich says: Thanks!!!!!

Brenda: Nothing like a good assembly line forewoman in a kitchen. It's amazing how much good food can get produced when there is only "one finger in the pot." I'm having trouble getting the turkey to the community center image out of my mind. ((Good Luck))

Eden: We may have partied together ;-)

Deanne: Have a particularly great time entertaining tomorrow. Today was told about a great seafood place on Main Street in Nashua. Do you know it??

Chelone: Darnnit (not really what I want to say), you had me misty reading about your childhood events. It jolted some memories that deserve more notice ...

Michelle: Pull out the flatware and let the games begin! Our kitchen houses a gizmo from Viet Nam that's purpose is to hold squid while it is individually deep fried or steamed. It looks like a two-sided melon baller, which was what I used it for until I was, ummmmmmmm, corrected. Be ready for the answers to: "What is this thing????" LOL

T.: Hope your computer gets healthy, soon!

Off to make dinner -- pork chops with apple butter, cauliflower, and fresh wheat bread. Anyone??

Martie

o

In Memorium:

You will remember the right half of Van Gogh's 'Ladies of Arles' from the main forum page. The left half seems appropriate now, but there is no art at all, only text.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forum Page

o

I did not know the piece, Cynthia. Thanks for the background. Wither shall we retreat should the plague descend on us?

How's the wrist?

o

Hi everyone. I am so sorry I havent been in touch, but every time I tried to sit down and post something, it seemed like I was so far in the hole, and it only got worse. Then I got behind on the birthdays, and felt horrible about that...one thing led to another and then I was lost!

A couple of idylls ago Martie made some comments about ethics in the workplace...congrats on the job by the way! Anyway I was prompted to post this poem given to me by our resident nun at the hospital, whose office is across the hall from mine was using my copier one day, and she usually shares her things with me.

Mother Theresas Prayer

People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self centered;
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you have anyway.

You see, in the final analysis, it was never between you and them anyway.
It made me think.

Here is what I have been up to... lots of news. My daughter Jenny found out last week that she is going to have a baby, and as close as we can guess at this point, it will be due around the same time as Mary Kates wedding. Her water will probably break as she is walking down the aisle as Mary Kates matron of honor☺

I have been making my candles and took them to the shop to sell. The hospital gift shop told me I could bring them in there too...I took my first batch over and ordered more supplies. We will see what happens. We called them Dreamy Lights...go figure. Brandon created the logo for me.

I have been listing houses, and doing open houses every weekend. Then some friends asked me if I wanted to learn how to make stained glass. And of course I did! I must be nuts..So between working, making candles, selling houses, and also I have been going on job interviews. Something came along that might be a good fit for me, but I had to get my resume updated, that took a lot of time, and then I had to get interview clothes, then go to the interviews.... it made me very behind on the idylls.

Deanne, did you go to the reunion yet? Let's see the picture! I went to a Dillard's oulet and found a $70 black velvet dress for $12. I really got it to be a witch at Halloween, but it was so nice, I didn't cut it up, and can use it for possibly a Christmas party. My class reunions have always been in the summer, and I think summery clothes are easier to find.

I have Birthday cards for a ton of people, and I am going to get them posted for the weekend by hook or by crook.....

Bug, I really liked the pictures of the ferme....

Taryn, good luck on the house, maybe it will go this weekend. My sister in law's house sold almost immediately when it was decorated for Christmas. Hang in there, keep taking the vitamins.

Hi to all,I have loved the pictures of kitties, doggies, babies and everything else. This is a great bunch, and I am Thankful for you!

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving....and thanks for thinking of me. I will do better....

Drema

o

Wow! Some impressive Thanksgiving baking going on! Brenda - Callebaut is pretty fancy Belgian chocolate. The original company is now owned by Toblerone I think. Bernard Callebaut now has a separate, fairly large, operation in Canada with retail stores as well as wholesale suppling business. There's a Callebaut store in our town and around 1990 my MIL, a SIL and I went on a chocolate-making course with him at one of his stores in British Columbia - lots of fun but making a large batch is lots of work so I'm very impressed with your assembly line - both the chocolate and the pies!

We had our curry cooking day here today but is was scaled back considerably because two people were sick and couldn't make it. Since there were only three of us, we just made a large batch of Bombay Palace Murgh Kari and some Afghan naan and got them done in time to have some for a late lunch, with enough left over for everyone to take home for supper. I've got all the ingredients for the beef pilau we were orginally going to make too so I'll have to make that tomorrow to use up the meat I think. (If you lived closer GB, you could have take-out...:-)

There was a light dusting of snow this morning and 2-3" forecast for tonight and tomorrow so I think I'll be stuck inside for a few days. Another load of logs is scheduled to come on Saturday for edging elsewhere in the garden but I'm afraid it's going to be inconvenient if the snow doesn't melt away by then - and it's doesn't look promising in the forecast. I think winter is here - Drat!

o

Hi All,
terribly behind here, such a difficult time opening the GWeb pages past week....very slow and dense connection, only here, not any other sites

just real quick as I have to run downstairs and start cooking...apple pie, pumpkin bread for tomorrow and maybe quiche for tonight. I hate thanksgiving! OH LA

Oronoque Pie Shells(in the freezer section) are the only ones I use. I put the foil pan inside a pyrex for more solid handling in+out of the oven.

for finding old china and silver service pieces?

Replacements,Ltd.

is supposed to be really good

has anyone read The Decoration of Houses by
Edith Wharton
Siddharta by Herman Hesse?
these 2 books have been on my mind lately

time to make the donuts :)
J

o

Wed, Nov 23, 05 at 18:47

Hi Drema! Hi Julie! So good to hear from you both! Yikes Drema you've got your hands full and it'll be even busier next spring!

Martie thanks, will post the plants later, when the boys have had their 'puter turns. Note I'm not going to plant them in a raised bed, just pile soil around the pots to give them protection. But I'm thinking I'd better get over to Tracy's veggie patch soon. Her veggies will appreciate the triple mix when I take my pots in spring.

Chelone, Cynthia's right, Ebay is the way to go to find anything! Check out the link below, lol!

Taryn

Here is a link that might be useful: On Ebay...

o

Hello! Just want to stop by to wish everyone a Happy Turkey day.

Mine is not starting out well. It reminds me of the song: "Some days are diamonds, some days are stones". Today was a stone. Due to unexpected turn of events yesterday, I went grocery shopping today to pick up a few things for the pies.

WARNING -- put all your plastic milk cartons in plastic bags.

One of the gallons of milk I bot this am had a leak and a quarter gallon of milk soaked the carpet in the back of my new car. @#$%^&*()! And then some. So half my day was spent sucking out milk from the carpet in my car and cleaning up the mess. I phoned the store and they'll make an incident report. Meanwhile, I'm steaming. What a mess. I think the carpet mat on one side might be a goner. I pray I got it all up so my car doesn't smell like sour milk.

Then, I couldn't find my rolling pin for the pies! I haven't a clue whether I lent it to someone or just lost it. After tearing apart the pantry and closets for a couple hours, I trudged thru this awful *S* and bot a new one. Today was a day to try one's patience, for sure.

All this -- and I still don't want to go to DS's tomorrow. Oh well. But I'm so happy to hear of so many others planning happy times with their family. Just wanted to say "HI" and wish everyone a warm, wonderful, safe and happy holiday.

With warm wishes to special friends,
Honey

o

I really had a good time reading about everyone's preparations for Thanksgiving.

I made turkey soup tonight so am way ahead here. Except that the house isn't clean. The chimney is though. And guess what, the chimney people (whom I've used for years) do gutters now too. So I'll sign them up for next year. The gutter people are now telling me they'll be here Saturday or Sunday. Snow predicted for tonight, but nothing serious.

I saw a mention of a red velvet fur trimmed santa bandana in Reader's Digest. Sold by some frou frou place for $16 each. I checked their website and it didn't look worth the price. Googled it and found a nicer version at Foster & Smith for something less than $4. I refuse to put antlers on my beasties, but a little holiday fluff not bad idea right? Chelone might want to get the halo for her dawg. Or maybe V's Mystic would like to eat one for the holidays.

From www.drsfosterssmith.com

Honey, we all love a good typo, and I so enjoyed the vision of you "sucking out milk from the carpet in my car.."

Drema - very nice to 'see' you! And the poem is a keeper. Thank you for sharing that. It's a very healthy philosphy. "Do the right thing" is the best operating practice always.

Hi Julie! Hi Babs! Hi Wendy! Hi to everyone I haven't seen in a bit. Hi VG! (Anyone left out: I like you best.)

o

Mrf vrf vrfvrf mmmvfffd....Oh sorry I was just buried under a drift of snow; )

Happy Turkey day everybody! No time to talk now-just wanted to send a happy gobble,gobble. GOOD to hear from you Drema & Julie!!

~Babs

o

Wed, Nov 23, 05 at 22:03

Very cute Cynthia--but I'd REALLY like to see the antlers...

Sorry about your bad day Honey. Hope tomorrow at DS's isn't too stressful and that everyone gets in the spirit of things.

Okay, so here's my plants that are potted in large gallon or half-gallon pots in the unheated greenhouse. Some, like hostas and columbine are tough as nails and have wintered over the entire winter in the greenhouse, in tiny pots and with no heat or other protection. Many I wintered over on TOP of the soil in flats last year, again in tiny pots, with just leaves on top for mulch. But others I just don't know the coldest temps they'll tolerate, and if they can take a few weeks of possibly into the high teens okay. We usually have a bit of a warm break/thaw after new years, then it normally isn't until 3rd week of January and all through Februrary that we start getting some seriously cold weather, like 5F down to even -22F. If it DID threaten to get really cold I could fire up the natural gas furnace and add 10 degrees if I had to. Is there are rule, say 2 zones colder should be fine, bury the rest NOW?? Appreciate your thoughts on this, when turkey time is over of course.

A few of my favourite things I'm taking:

Arabis caucasica 'Snowcap'
Agastache rupestris
Alchemilla mollis
Anemone biarmiensis
Angelica gigas
Aquilegia flabellata 'Alba'
Aquilegia Saximontana
Artemisia stelleriana 'Silver Brocade'
Asphodeline lutea
Aster lateriflorus 'Lady in Black'
Aster x frikartii 'Monch'
Athyrium niponicum 'Pictum'
Aubrieta deltoida
Boomer's Forget-me-nots
Buddleia davidii
Calamagrostis Karl Forster
Campanula (Mary's purple/white splotched bicolour)
Caryopteris divaricata
Caryopteris x clandonensis
Centaurea dealbata
Centaurea montana
Chelone obliqua
Cimicifuga ramosa 'Brunette'
Clematis (5 various)
Colchium
Coreopsis grandiflora 'Early Sunrise'
Coreopsis rosea American Dream
Coreopsis verticillata 'Moonbeam'
Corydalis cheilanthifolia
Cynara cardunculus
Delphiniums, several
Dianthus, several unknown
Dianthus freynii 'Pink Gem'
Dicentra spectabilis
Digitalis purpurea 'Excelsior Mix'
Digitalis x mertonensis
Echinacea tennesseensis
Gaura lindheimeri 'Siskiyou Pink'
Gaura lindheimeri 'The Bride'
Geranium pratense Midnight Reiter
Geranium 'Rozanne'
Geranium wallichianum 'Buxtons Blue'
Geranium x oxonianum 'Katherine Adele'
Glaucium flavum
Gypsophila repens 'Rosea'
Heliopsis helianthoides var. scabra 'Summer Sun'
Heliopsis 'Lorraine Sunshine'
Helleborus, many various
Heuchera, several various
Hibiscus moscheutos, several
Hosta, several various
Iris, several
Lavendula vera
Ligularia Britt-Marie Crawford
Ligularia dentata 'Desdemona'
Lilium longiflorum 8' gold
Lilium longiflorum white
Lobelia siphilitica
Lonicera x heckrottii 'Goldflame'
Macleaya cordata
Matteuccia struthiopteris
Muhlenbergia capillaris
Nepeta 'Six Hills Giant'
Oenothera acaulis
Ophiopogon planiscapus 'nigrescens' (Black mondo grass)
Patrinia scabiosifolia
Peony (several)
Persicaria microcephala 'Red Dragon'
Phlomis tuberosa 'Amazone'
Pulmonaria officionalis
Rudbeckia fulgida 'Irish Eyes'
Ruellia humilis
Ruta graveolens
Salix integra 'Hakuro Nishiki'
Salvia argentea
Salvia forskaohlei
Salvia lyrata 'Burgandy Bliss'
Salvia sclarea turkestanica
Sedum 'Matrona'
Sidalcea malviflora 'Party Girl'
Spiraea japonica
Stokesia laevis
Thalictrum aquilegifolium
Thalictrum rochebrunianum
Tiarella, unknown white fall blooming
Tovara virginiana 'Painter's Palette'
Tricyrtis hirta 'Miyazaki'
Tricyrtis hirta unknown pink and yellow
Valeriana officinalis
Weigela florida pink
Weigela florida 'Variegata'

Yeah I know, I know, but there ARE worse addictions, no? And yes, there are thousands of plants left over for the new owners, and no holes in the garden, well except where the self-sowing annuals will fill in... :)

Taryn

o
forgot to mention

Wed, Nov 23, 05 at 22:38

Marie, at least you can put off the mower decision until the spring, unless it doubles as your snowplow. I thought Ric had tenure?? Mandatory retirement will be hard for him (and you) unless you can get him on more hockey teams...

Michelle, forgot to say congratulations that Laura and Mike (and Kenzie) have a new house! Lots of changes for them in the past couple of years, and it's great they doing well. Also wanted to comment that I like your dream! While the new place is far from the ocean it's only a half-hour from Lake Erie. Turkey Point is a favourite resort area for many. Hoping you're REALLY psychic and it's not just Thanksgiving turkey on the brain!

Drema, it is SO hard to jump back in here when you've been busy for a while and haven't read. That happens to me quite a bit. So now I'm making up for the next time I go AWOL by posting every 4th post or sooner so I can remember what everyone has said. :) Last one for tonight though. Wittle itty bitty kitty is getting spayed and I have to have her at the vets by 8:30 latest. Same time the boys go to school, so they are walking, snow or no snow (one inch and more to come). Draquie has a really hoarse, scratchy meow and I would HATE to have to listen to her when in heat, so the deed is being done tomorrow. And we'll both be thankful when it's over....

T, again...

o

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I'm still up, waiting for DH to get off work and come home. It has been a very long day.

But being up this late does have a bonus---I'll get to be the first to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. :oD

May each of you have a blessed day with family, good friends and those you care most about.

T.

o

Good morning all, and Happy Thanksgiving! On the way back from turning on the ovens, I remembered this poem and it pretty well sums it up for me.......

Once upon a time I planned to be

An artist of celebrity.

A song I thought to write one day,

And all the world would homage pay.

I longed to write a noted book,

But what I did was~~learn to cook.

For life with simple tasks is filled,

And I have done, not what I willed.

Yet when I see my family's loving eyes

Im glad I make good apple pies!

Hope everyone has much to be thankful for today-
Brenda

o

I'm up to make the pies. I'll be glad to turn the oven on. It's cold out, 21F, and the wind is really whipping around the house. I don't ever remember a Thanksgiving this wintery. Hope that isn't a sign of things to come. I just wanted to tell you all Happy Thanksgiving, I hope you all have a wonderful day, and last but not least that I'm thankful for all of you, my dear Idyll friends.

Eden

o

Taryn - and Cynthia - if you want to see just how ridiculous a dog can look all dressed up for Christmas with antlers and other things, check this one out! :

It looks like most of our forecast snow fell as rain instead - although its still too dark to see clearly.. Hopefully I wont be stuck indoors all day!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you south of the border!

o

Very interesting to read about the Christmas tree harvest and get update on everyone. Yesterday was one of the warmest November days that we remember since moving here in 1986. A t-shirt day. 35 F in breezeway this morning. Been nice having the younger family members home from work and university. Had turkey day yesterday to accommodate schedules and committments. Food is traditional and simple, conversation intelligent, and hugs comforting. I enjoy dessert so seldom that I want the 'real' thing.. no sugar free or low fat please. We don't do a lot of baking, just an occaisional special treat. More of the same today and it is also tradition to begin decorating the Christmas tree. Noticed some homes with lights enroute home after dark yesterday. Very beautiful. We drive thru rural area and hills with farms. Wishing all the best. EP

o

Nice thoughts for a day of thanks. I liked Mother Teresa's poem, too. Just keep plunking along and if you don't get it right on Monday, try harder on Tuesday.

It's snowing here, looks like confectionary sugar being sifted over the yard. I'm not entirely sure what will happen over the rest of the day, I'd be surprised if it remained snow all day long.

There is a lot of feline silliness this morning. I opened the door and Polly went right out. She sniffed, stood stock still, then "peeled out", did a 360 and raced into the house and up on a chair back. Then it was right back outdoors with Spencer in hot pursuit. Vera is playing with a bottle cap, only elegant Miss Flo-Flo is unengaged.

I'm not feeling very energetic. I have to make stuffing and get the vegetables ready to go, not a tall order. Of greater importance to me is getting the remaining living room shade up (would like nicer in its proper place than leaning against the side of the chimney), and getting the canopy, screen panels, and the awnings all put away until April. I have some laundry to fold up (bedsheets), too.

Here's some viewing for the bored out there...

Here is a link that might be useful: Paintin' fool

o

Happy Thanksgiving all! Unfortunately I'm still pretty sick but getting everything done. Having a cold has actually been a blessing for me as I overheard something at work yesterday afternoon that has been personally upsetting and have been able to "hide out" behind kleenex and red eyes. Hopefully the cold will last long enough for me to get a grip.

It's snowing here-maybe an inch or two so far but it's supposed to change to rain later. I'm with Eden-hopefully this isn't a glimpse of winter to come.

OK, time to stuff my turkey and get it in the oven.

Have fun!

Sue

o

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating today!

Time to get busy in the kitchen!

V.

o

Happy Thanksgiving!! Pineapples are a colonial sign of true welcome. I'm grateful that I've been welcomed into this group. The prayer has been printed and will be hanging in my office (cube).

Everyone have a wonderful, bountiful day.

Martie

o

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

o

Unpacking a Christmas Memory box came across this poem shared by a 'vintage lady' before we moved here. When we went back last year the area where her little cottage home had been had been redeveloped into a city complex including a museum and library. Her spirit will always be a part of Christmas:

Happiness
Every happy thought we share is like a bright new smile
That touches someone's lonely heart and makes their life worthwhile
And every happy little deed that makes your love shine through
Is just another simple way to make you happy too!

o

Sorry to hear the cold has really settled in for Sue; I can't imagine much worse than having to deal with turkey and dinner when you don't feel particularly wel. Sorrier still, that you have had an upset at work. That's a shame. Hopefully, you have tomorrow off and can convalece over the weekend.

Snow has turned to rain here and the wind has picked up. We lit the stove today (first time this season) and it's been quite a hit with the cats. The morning silliness has given way to napping.

I've dealt with the laundry, and put the turkey in the oven about 15 minutes ago. The kitchen is cleaned (round one), and I'm tackling the shade next, then the canopy.

We're watching "The Meaning of Life" now, esp. enjoying the "special features" and interviews.

o

Happy Thanksgiving! The snow has melted, but it's not going to be much of a gardening day since everything will be soggy. Still have bulbs that I dug out of front yard to plop in back yard.

Eden, I wish my house smelled like pies this morning!

Brenda, Hope those turkeys are thawed. If they're not, I know there'll be a good entertaining story from you later.

Jerri, special thoughts to you this day. I know you will be missing Sassy, but are thankful your time with her.

Martie, I just love that arborvitae hedge sprinkled with snow.

Chelone, I checked our your chimney project photos and enjoyed the descriptive text too. It looks terrific and can't wait to see the mantle installed.

Sue, I know how hurtful things can cast a shadow over the rest of your life, so I hope that you can shake that off as well as the cold. Consider the source is my best advice.

I'm grateful that my wrist seems fine now and I didn't have to go to the Dr after all. Marian, I cringed when I read your comment about hitting the ganglioma with book! I do remember that 'treatment' for 'wens'/sebaceous cysts which are above the skin. Shudder. A ganglioma is below the skin, so there's nothing to break open externally. Oh, this is not very nice TDay talk is it lol.

Monty's foot seems a bit better too. He has not slept on my bed with kitty's this week so that made me worry. This morning I invited him up, and he hurtled all 65 pounds of flailing limbs right up there. (I caught him running outside yesterday too, so figured he felt better :-) I do have appt for him at vet on Friday as we need to check out his bunny hopping on walks which is unrelated to the sore on his foot.

Happy Thanksgiving from Foster Rippie, who knows how to live in the moment and be thankful for whatever he's got. Note that is a real smile on his face. Greyhounds are the only breed that actually 'smiles' just like humans do, with lips pulled back and teeth together. The clenched teeth can be scary to the unknowing :-)

Cynthia

o

Chelone, when you find out the meaning of life, please share it with me. In my last conversation with my father he asked me what it is all about. I just loved your series of photos. (I'm very nosey I guess, and looked at lots of details!)

Very sorry to hear things are low with you Sue. Here's a hug and big hopes for a quick and better turn of events.

This morning I went to the 'memorial service' for our riding mower. Putting more money into it just does not make sense. Yet, it is a sad day. I love that mower. The repair guy was incredulous. He said he had never met anyone who loved an old machine to that extent before. He said everyone wants a bigger, better, newer one. I felt like I was taking a cat to the vets for the last time. Guess I'm really really nuts.

Do you see a new one here?

Or here?

We need to decide soon so that we can get a refund on the old one...or dispose of it. Only need a new one for May though, not today with its 17F temperatures! So much to consider.

Lots of challenges here, but the sun breaks through every now and again.

Enjoy this special day. Family gatherings can be a challenge too sometimes, but I hope you can find humor in it. (That's for you Honey!)

Later,
'bug

o

Oh, Sue, so sorry to hear the cold is settling in.

Cynthia, lololol over sucking up spilled milk.

Chelone, I love the way you paint pictures with words. Your home seems so warm, friendly and welcoming (despite the fact that you hate dogs ). How nice you have a little more "alone" time with DH before your Mom returns.

EP, I love the heirlooms and heritage you share with us.

Eden, glad your family made it down safe and sound.

Taryn, I know what you mean about trying to keep up when you're really busy. I missed so much here and hope to catch up little by little. Sorry, I can't help you with your plants. However, last yr I left calla lillies in the ground and piled mulch on top. They came back fine and they're zone 8. I picked up a couple Angel Daisy's (also zone 8) on clearance a few days ago and am hoping they'll winter over. They were $1 ea, so no biggie if they don't make it.

DB just called to ask what time we're going over DS's house. I talked to SIL ind they don't want to arrive until just before dinner and they don't plan on staying long. Seems DS has caused her usual holiday ruckus with them, too. It is so sad. DS wants a warm 'family' holiday gathering, yet manages to alienate everyone in the process. She wins battles but loses the war.

We are so looking forward to playing with our grandniece and enjoying the rest of the family. Hoping you're enjoying as well.

o

Good morning again! Happy Thanksgiving!

Sue, you are utmost on my mind this morning.

Drema, it was great to hear how you are doing and what your life has held. Please don't worry about 'catching up' nor about responding to what we've been chatting about. Just come in 'whenever' and let us know about YOU! When you have more time---then you can be here with us more. Right now, just check in more often and let us know what is up with you. Congratulations to your daughter!

J, it was great that you stopped by to say hello!

Cynthia, I enjoyed the halo & kerchief. Let me know if I can help you make something for your pups if you don't find what you are looking for in stock.

Babs, it is always great to 'see' you.

Ei, sending good thoughts and a smile to you & yours. This Thanksgiving will be bittersweet for you & your family, but hopefully you'll share many smiles-reminiscing of past Thanksgiving gatherings that included your father.

Woody, your poor dog! ;oD I loved the picture and she looks to be a very good sport. I hope it doesn't continue to snow and keep you indoors too long.

Saucy? Please come say 'hi'......you are missed.

Chelone the chimney and walls turned out very nice and the desk veining is clever. Thanks for sharing the pics.

EP, Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours.

Taryn, what an impressive list of plants!

Martie......snow?! wow!

I figure Brenda, Deanne & many others are elbow deep in meal prep. DH is still abed. I've got my 35mm camera, tripod & all other 'stuff' (food) to take to the in-laws. I'm suppose to be the family photographer today. I guess I should go remind myself how to use the timer feature on the camera......

I loved Cynthia's parting comment earlier and will 'borrow' it ----

*If I didn't mention you, I meant to and you are my favorite* . ;o)

Happy Thanksgiving.....I count myself blessed to be included in this Idyll 'family'.

Teresa

o

Just in from the friendly family forwarding crowd...

'Twas the night of Thanksgiving, but I just couldn't sleep.

I tried counting backwards, I tried counting sheep.

The leftovers beckoned - the dark meat and white,
But I fought the temptation with all of my might.

Tossing and turning with anticipation,
The thought of a snack became infatuation.

So, I raced to the kitchen, flung open the door
And gazed at the fridge, full of goodies galore.

I gobbled up turkey and buttered potatoes,
Pickles and carrots, beans and tomatoes.

I felt myself swelling so plump and so round,
'Til all of a sudden, I rose off the ground.

I crashed through the ceiling, floating into the sky
With a mouthful of pudding and a handful of pie.

But, I managed to yell as I soared past the trees
"Happy eating to all - Pass the cranberries, please!"

May your stuffing be tasty, may your turkey be plump;
May your potatoes 'n gravy have nary a lump;
May your yams be delicious, may your pies take the prize;
May your Thanksgiving dinner stay off of your thighs.

o

Is everyone stuffed? We had a nice day at my parents house. My sister and family from Madison, WI were there along with my son and GF and Kenzie and her parents. Instead of peanut clusters, my mom makes mixed nut clusters, they are fabulous.

Cold here today, it was only in the teens.

Drema, congrats to your DD and to you. Will this be your first grandchild? You mentioned stained glass, I dabble in it. I have a area set up in the basement. I don't work at it at all in the summer and the last couple of winters I haven't seemed to fit it in either.

Sue, I hope you feel better soon on all fronts.

Cynthia, that is a hilarous picture. I love the "smile"

Martie, cool picture with the pineapple in the snow.

Woody, you DH sure is a good sport.

Honey, my we bought milk Friday night and it was in a sack. That didn't help when DH dropped it on the garage floor ;o)

Taryn, that is quite a list of plants, you've been busy.

Sleep tight

Michelle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here