And come to rest upon the ground

To lay a carpet, rich and rare,

Beneath the trees without a care,

Content to sleep, their work well done,

Colors gleaming in the sun.

At other times, they wildly fly

Until they nearly reach the sky.

Twisting, turning through the air

Till all the trees stand stark and bare.

Exhausted, drop to earth below

To wait, like children, for the snow."

- Elsie N. Brady, Leaves

Carry on... :-)

Comments (101)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

gb - I somehow missed your post yesterday... I think mid-Feb. should be OK if you need to leave Phoebe here for a bit. Ditto in Apr. I'll keep those dates in mind as tentatively reserved so we'll check with you first if we get other requests for time at the doggie spa :- ) We're waiting to hear the likely dates for Blue to come early in the new year. His 'parents' have a condo in Mexico. They usually go for Christmas but this year they've decided to wait until sometime in January. They're not sure exactly when or for how long. I doubt they'd be staying into mid-Feb. so I'd expect that we'd be available for a Phoebe visit by then.

Thanks for collecting rose hips for me. We'll have to schedule a curry dinner here sometime in the next while before the weather gets too bad so I can trade samosas for rose hips with you :- )

Dog dishwashing service happens here too... I'm sure the non-dog-owners among you are probaly grossed out! We do make sure that dog-washed dishes go through the dishwasher after their preliminary cleaning....

Cold, damp, gray, depressing November arrived yesderday! UGH! It's a good thing I took those 'gleaming' pictures a few days ago - there's a whole lot of naked trees and bushes out there now and not much gleaming going on! The neighbour with that fabulous red JM now has a naked tree and a red carpet on the lawn.

It I can get motivated, and if the rain is not too heavy, I need to go out today and put the tree guards on the trees for the winter. That's the last garden chore for the year.

What does one do with persimmons?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

One more...

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

It is a tea kind of day here, too. Finally some sun, stocked the larder and Kyle's, too, walked around and shot some pics, but can't seem to get the "smile" going, today. Think things in general have ?finally? taken their toll and might just sleep for the rest of the day.

We have the same chicken restrictions as Chelone, but the neighbors all think we should go for some exotic creatures. Too many critters in the woods negates the idea.

Speaking of critters -- Rich was greeted by a racoon in the garage who must've smelled the stored apples and thought: BONANZA!! He/she skedaddled the second it saw Rich, so I'm not concerned about it being rabid. We are leaving the garage door closed for now.

A 23# turkey is in the freezer (juuuuuuust fit) and people are asking what they can bring. I suggested some not so ordinary foods and was greeted with silence on all fronts. So, it'll be the norm but I insist on making my own maple syrup squash casserole. BiL is bringing corn chowder and DSiL's grandmother is bringing her scruptious pumkin bread.

Maybe I'll throw orange peel into the cranberry sauce to get a few raised eyebrows??????

Perhaps the "X" situation won't resolve now, 'bug, but in not so many years Skyler will be able to start to make his own decisions and undoubtedly will wonder about true motives. It just plain stinks. Being a pawn is no fun.

Eden, save some of the seeds from the roses. They are so easy and Bella can make a whole fairy hedge with them. Bud looks so darn content! Do you think he knows he blends in at this time of year?

Marian: Great chicken/DGD story! I have a new goal in life: eat fresh southern persimmons.

Denise -- Poor Mitch! It is that the artistic set are so flighty that a professor would threaten certain career ruin because of something like this? Sounds like at some point someone else dropped the ball and are using Mitch as the scapegoat.

Julie -- Your posts always bring a smile.

Norma: Well, hello!! So glad the FL crew saw some NW color before returning to the Land of Sand.

Eden, again: I'd think Z7 stuff should be fine in your conservatory. Very Yankee of you to put together something so beautiful out of discards :-)

Mary: Your guitar link has been a tonic for the soul while I've been writing. Thank You!! Asked Rich about the HD tile cutter and he's now on the lookout. Anything other than the huge mess wet saws can make. He did say, though, that if there are any curved or double angle cuts, he couldn't think of a better way than a diamond edge.

In all fairness, Woody, I don't paint. I've tried. I've tried again. I've had paint brushes permanently hidden from my view. While I'm great at choosing colors, getting them on the wall.....not so much.

Saucy -- Went to see a new client this week (privately owned nursing home -- one of six they have) and in the sunfilled entrance was a most exquisite series of Horai. Autumn was in full blown finery. They decorate whichever season it is. Kinda cool idea.

Three years ago in a fit of total lost tool frustration, I went to my local hardware store, plunked down $100, and told the guy to first pick a locked box and then fill it up with whatever I'd need to "do stuff." Result is a fully stocked kit that's All Mine. Have I used 3/4 of what's in it???? No, of course not, but it's nice to know it's there. LOL

Heading off to snooze. Later!

Martie

• chelone
    15 years ago

What did your Mom study, 'bug? She was familiar with the Boston area at the time my parents were growing up. She may even have passed my grandparents and great aunts and uncles as she made her way around the area. A fun thought! Hope the tea settles your insides. Beautiful morning here, the rain has been blown offshore.

I'll bet a chicken on ice is pretty funny, Marian. :) The past few days have been cloudy and intermittantly rainy but it has been very mild, nights in the low-mid 50s. But today it's breezy and I'd wager the chilly air will blow in tonight.

Julie, I laughed at the mental image of you and TCS floating in the water when the latest party bomb was dropped. You're a good sport. The glass of wine all alone was most deserved. I see you will be playing with joint compound/"spackle" today, too. (I always fill the holes before painting, too). What color are you planning to paint the hallway?

Speaking of wall colors (before I forget), Martie: I used Ben. Moore on the walls of this house, too. Interestingly, I used colors #1437 (Violet Mist) and 1438 (Lavender Blue) for the living areas of our home. The deeper one below the dado, the paler above it. We've lived with the colors for nearly 18 yrs. now and love it. I used alkyd paint in a satin finish. I will try to remember to look and see how close what you selected is to what's here. :)

I'm waiting for my alteration customer to come "get the goods". This will require a bit of ballet on my part. I must leash the beast and make sure he is completely under my control. Then I will bring the bag of clothing out to the customer's car while requiring Rex be a perfect gentleman. It's important that he be leashed when greeting people. He mustn't rush to people and/or jump on them. That's extremely important to me and I take pains to ensure he greets people pleasantly. He's big enough to knock people over. The helpmeet isn't as willing as I've been to "train" and require obedience at the arrival of visitors and the inconsistency has made for some uncomfortable encounters. I understand exactly how Phoebe can be, 'bug, Rex can be very "willful", too. :) One more lament that Woody isn't "down the street".

Thank you for the insight into edging, Mary. I am using flooring tiles under the stove (it's nearly 600lbs.!) and I don't know if "bullnose" edging tiles will be available in whatever I may select. We've used wood to trim out the hearth in the house (same design). The proximity of the wooden trim (a "combustible") to the stove has been a bit of "grey area", as all combustibles should be 36" away from the stove. I've thought about seeing a welder and having him cut and bend metal pcs. to use in place of the wooden trim. I would set the tiles flush with the top edge of the metal and grout up to that. The helpmeet and I are going to have a "board meeting" about the framing of the hearth area later this afternoon and that should address some of the nagging "detail" questions I can't presently answer. I also appreciate the tip about the tile cutting tool. We used a wet saw when we did the last hearth and I've not forgotten the mess, if I can avoid it this time I will!

The guitar has such a nice sound. It can be folksy and common, it can be jazzy and smooth, it can rock the house (and frighten parents), or it can be one more way to discover classical music. I think music and dancing are very fine pursuits indeed.

OK, what am I going to do now? (while I wait for pink to change into white and the helpmeet to get home). I'm not sure I feel like going outdoors and digging (Rex would like that, though) but it seems too nice to stay inside and tackle a JJ better suited to rain or cold. I'll have to ponder that one for a bit.

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Here is the tile cutter I used though I would certainly go with the advice of a pro like Rich rather than a one timer like myself.

Mary

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Chelone - one more option. The adavatage of the Schluter edging is non-combustability.

M.

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

DH picked up our digital converter box for $9.99 after coupon today. Since we have no cable, satellite, etc., we have been pulling in the big three networks, WGN and PBS. With the converter box, we get CBS. But it's the best picture we've ever had on CBS. So is this the double-secret economic stimulus package? I need to go spend more money to maintain what I found to be perfectly adequate before?

Grumpy mood as I just tried to follow up on two oh-so-easy "benefits" that I received in the mail, and neither one would work as advertised. Guess I'll take it out on cleaning the house. Outside, it's even colder than yesterday and more snow is falling sporadically.

V. the disillusioned

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Returned some dishes to neighbors who had fed us in our time of need. Grocery shopped too as I NEED berries in my diet. ;) Also bought DH 3 inexpensive sweaters at our only store, Zellers. (This is laughable, I don't know the US equivalent. Perhaps Woolworths?)

Chelone, Mom attended Swarthmore for undergraduate years. She also dabbled in courses at the Sorbonne. Her Mom wanted her to attend Radcliffe, so she went there for a year of grad school, but then later transferred to NYU which had the program SHE wanted, Art History. Then the rascal went off and married a Frenchman in the army and became a French citizen. My brother was born in France. Later my sister was born in NJ while Dad was serving in the war. Then he escaped to the US via Martinique, taught French at Brown University and then I was born once they moved to Buffalo NY. Later Mom taught Art History at the University of Buffalo until nepotism rules nixxed that effort. And now you know!

We've had liquid white falling from the sky much of this afternoon. Not a night for visiting Sue I guess. Tuesday we are supposed to get an estimate on replacement of our perfectly fine wood stove. Grrrr.

What's for dinner tonight? Another mystery!

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Ever notice when working an unusual work schedule your feel for what day of the week it is becomes off-kilter ? Its clearly Sunday, the SF Sunday paper was in my driveway this morning..a benefit will be that tomorrow will not feel like Monday . I am considering treating myself to a 3 day weekend next Friday if I can swing it. We shall see.
    Last night was a move night, I saw Becoming Jane , which I enjoyed though it had some flaws-the occasional contrived plot point, art/set direction that seemed stolen from the wonderful 05 version of Pride and Prejudice with Kiera Knightley - wherein Judi Dench was a fabulously despicable Lady Catherine , Donald Sutherland was absolutely the best Mr Bennett in film history (IMHO) , the younger sisters were as vapid as could bewell I could go on and on. I do hope any Austen buffs in the crowd have seen this particular adaptation. But I digress ! I was speaking of Becoming Jane. I was also going to say that I find Anne Hathaway to be maturing as an actress with every performance. This one was not a particularly challenging a role, but I thought that any flaws in her development of the character were the issue of the director, maybe the writer. This role could have been more, and I think she could have pulled it off.

Ok , I really did not mean to write a full scale film review. Moving right along

I must say many Idylls seem to be in the throes of home improvement projects-Julie is painting, Eden and Mary are renovating, Deanne is re-purposing and Chelone continues the saga of the Salon. I dont seem to be doing anything but going to work !

Mary, my DS just got a new guitar and (he now has 4 I believe) and I am regaled with concerts on a regular basis- no classical however. He has certainly improved since he joined the band and experiments with writing his own songs. Enjoyed your link; I love classical guitar but have very few music CDs, mostly Segovia.

Julie- I confess I do not miss the constant parade of birthday parties that I had to transport to and buy presents for. You deserve a solitary and /or good company provided glass of wine on a more frequent basis. Now , as winter looms is there a Wine Room to replace the Wine Deck ?

PM, another tight small groundcover is Corsican Mint, which I think is more tolerant of drainage issues than Thyme. Dont know if it is hardy in your zone though !

bug, dont know what you are to dine on but I am having Hazelnut winter squash raviolis with pesto, and a glass of low-end cabernet. I have ordered The Lace Reader

OK, all for now

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    15 years ago

LOL, V., your household and this one are on precisely the same wavelength when it comes to television, the selling of the airwaves, convertor boxes and the requisite antennae! I was shocked to scan by not one, but two, radio stations that're already playing Christmas music. I am by no means a Scrooge, but neither do I subscribe to the 24 hr./day onslaught of Christmas hype. Anyone else noticed the same thing in your area?

Yesterday was just beautiful and I was right, it's markedly chillier this morning than it has been for the past few. I wonder if Sue slept in her Union Suit last night?

Today is the day the helpmeet is going to frame the base for the hearth. I am going to double check a few details with the code enforcement office "because I can", though the hearth we built in the house is strong, safe, passed "code" when it was built, and we've never had a bit of trouble with it. Still, I defer to the old saying, "never give a bureaucrat a chance to say no". There was the usual grousing about having to go out to the Salon and go over the plan, but I said firmly I wanted "the expectations clearly stated and understood before beginning the project so we aren't derailed by lack of oversight". More grumbling, to which I replied that I was very excited about finishing the Salon, having a space for projects, and moving toward working from home. I've put a lot of thought and effort into it, I've worked hard to minimize his participation and make sure he has what he needs to do the things he can do more easily than I, and the hardest part of it all has been asking him for his help with certain asspects. I'm frankly very tired of the sour attitude and miserly effort put into projects that have to be done and I said so. Then I "dropped it". He's told me repeatedly I am the GC on this project and I've taken the job seriously, apparently to his chagrin. ;) It should be an interesting day.

Once again, this illustrates how differently two people can approach the same project. I tend to work backward from the finished result I want to see, making notes on what must be done first, second, etc.. I rarely "plunge right in willy-nilly". I will put together a list of materials, purchase them and get them on site. Then I try to plan the steps so each one is completed and I don't frustrate and exhaust myself trying to get the whole project done in one, two, or even 3 days. Sewing has taught me planning, patience, and attention to detail. And I'm OK with accomplishing one aspect of a project and walking away for the day. It has also taught me that attention to those things can bring about a great sense of accomplishment. I think this methodology is roughly akin to the benefits of studying music, dance, painting, or even creating beautiful gardens. It's the ability to be patient in the pursuit of goals and understanding that serendipity is a wonderful thing, but so is good planning. (I am clearly the Ant, and not the Grasshopper).

Martie, could you ask Rich what a "double angle" cut is? does he mean, for instance, cutting out a section of tile so it will fit snugly around the base of the chimney? I don't have "contractor speak" or "saw speak" down yet! Sounds as if you and the helpmeet went to the same painting school... "everything within a 5' radius", a la Jackson Pollack (sp?). :) Hope the "crash" yesterday was what was needed to recharge depleted workplace batteries. You've earned it. I wonder who was more surprised, the 'coon or Rich?

Rex was a PERFECT gentleman yesterday when my alteration customer arrived. I was very proud of him (the beatings have paid off!). He sat by the door while I clipped on his leash and I only had to reinforce the "sit" once. I opened the door and stepped through it, leading with my right foot and he REMAINED sitting, looking to me for the release command! We approached the car quietly (reasonably so) and he sat quietly while I handed over the goods. If Rex can do it, so can Phoebles!

I have "Pride and Prejudice" starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth on DVD. Will have to see if we can score the production you mentioned, Kathy (free trial of Netflix). Boston next August, eh, Kathy? hmmm...

Let's see some shots of your woodstove, 'bug. Perhaps it will better illustrate the tribulations you're presently enduring on that front. I've linked to the Woodstock Soapstone Stove site below. They provide excellent information about clearances to combustibles, chimneys, retrofits, etc..

OK, that's it for now. Time to eat, wash, and be ready to deal with code enforcement. Wish me luck.

And let's raise our coffee cups in honor of the marvelous Miriam Makeba who died after a concert last night. What a voice and what an inspiration for human rights.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Miriam Makeba! Oh my....
    Pretty soon there'll be no one left.

I'm off to have blood extracted prior to my annual physical.
    Later.
    'bug

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Well, good intentions and return to good habits were beset by too many things to do and catch up on (& it wasnt the idylls, sadly) this weekend....

With those suffering cold temps, it will hurt you to know it was 78 degrees here on Friday -- I managed to come to work, beg the ogre (who turned out to be a nice ogre) for a few hours to go play in my yard - and the wish was granted. I got more work done Friday playing hookie(sp?) for 3 hours than I'd done in the last 2 months, LOL... It was really a glorious weekend here. There are still odd clematis and salvia blooming; but most are drowning in fallen leaves now.

Cooler temps set in on Sat., but didnt stop the requisite Chloe grooming and stock investment club meeting -- that took many more hours than expected. Interestingly, we've only had one member drop (at Sept 30) out of the stock club - the rest of us are obviously more crazy or having more fun... but it really drains your brain after a 5 hr meeting! I bet Deanne is feeling the same way after her weekend seminar.

I hope to see pics of Deanne's inhouse studio - I bet it's terrific and very organized; and Chelone's finishing off major interior jobs -- what energy.

Kathy, glad you got thru another inventory relatively unscathed - that must be terribly draining, even if you know how to do it routinely.

Brr -- Sue -- I wish for a swift Tuesday to come for you -- geez, it's amazing the holdups that happen to projects you think are staples of a company's business. Missing gas meters -- wonder where they're made? Are they stuck on a boat from China or something?

Well, it's time to face the music - it's Monday & I know there will be payback for Friday's fun.

-cindy

• chelone
    15 years ago

In for a break.

Got the thumbs up from code enforcement, have sanded the chimney one more time, gone back over it to touch up a few areas, and have spent time smoothing out the corners. The corners turned out to be the fiddliest part of the operation, but I've had good success with smoothing on the joint compound with moistened fingers, the "sanding" it with a moist sponge.

The helpmeet is using "manly" tools now (the ones that make a lot of noise and can really hurt you). It's best not to "hang around" and prove distracting. ;) So I think I'll shampoo the dust out of my hair. And think of showerless Sue. And all the other DIYers out there.

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

The weather went from upper 70's in the beginning of last week to 20's this weekend, the ground has a light dusting of snow and the sun is aol. Gardening and harvest came to an abrupt halt.

We decided to do a little shopping in the city on Saturday. I waffled on new lighting for the bedroom and came home with none. Sat. was Kenzie's 4th birthday and she called me on the way home from the Magic Kingdom and I heard things such as "Mickey & Minnie", "the teacups went round and round", "The Fairy godmother" she had a great time and was quite excited. We did go on the webcam on Sun. but its not the same as being at her party.

{{gwi:186613}}
    The first cake that my DD has decorated:
    {{gwi:186614}}

Sorry about the "me" post, I'll be back later.
    Michelle

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

It's Monday again. Same weather here as Michelle's having. Can I start the countdown to spring now Chelone? :)

We scraped and painted all day yesterday between keeping Bella occupied. I was so tired after Megan picked her up at 8 that I was in bed by 9 and slept until 7:30 this morning. I'm home alone today which means I can get lots done. More painting mostly. We're shooting for wrapping up the kitchen by the end of next weekend. I'm thinking I'd like new flooring and countertops but Brad says not a good investment since we're really considering moving if the economy ever picks up.

Michelle, looks like Kenzie had a great birthday and dd did a good job on the cake. My mom was always good at cake decorating. I've never tried. Not sure I'd have the patience for it. We have a bakery that does really cute birthday cakes that I order from for Bella. $$$ though. So what's Miss Kenzie into for birthday/Christmas presents this year? I'm having a hard time thinking of anything special for Bella.

I occasionally get corsican mint to overwinter here. It did last year. Great groundcover and wonderful smell! I use it in my fairy gardens alot but it somehow appeared and started growing in the cracks of the garden path this past summer.

Denise, I guess that's what dads are for? At least that's what I tell Brad everytime he has to go to the rescue of one of the kids. That's what family's all about I think! Good for Marty!

Kathy, I know the feeling of forgetting what day it is. Especially when Brad has a three day weekend or an odd day off. Hope your work schedule slows down but lots of work equals a more secure job these days too on the other hand.

Chelone, you've been so productive on your days off work lately. You are getting alot done!

Off to paint another coat. Hope to be back later for more chitchat.

Eden

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Pm2, I see that you asked me a question that I failed to answer, about the persimmon jam. No, I have neither made any, nor tasted any. I don't think I even have a recipe for it. They are a real chore to deseed. If they were juicy, jelly would be easier.

Michelle, great pics of Kensie. I can hardly believe it has been 4 years since she came into this world, and onto this thread. How time flies! She is such a beauty! The nearest I have come to being at my GD's birthday parties is when they come here the month of their birth. I have never given them a party. Their mother is into doing that, and I try to never compete with her.

Chelone, I couldn't help but compare your Rex's 'training' with your DH's . :-) Can't quite use the same tactics on DHs.

Kathy, if hazelnuts are good with winter squash, I wonder how a glob of nutella would be on it?? I am still addicted to nutella, thanks to you gals. I think I am on my 5th jar. :-)

Marian

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

A brief weekday visit this morning, as I went to the awfice for a couple hours and then came home to await the ATT dude, who will try to establish if water is getting into the phone lines . It was freezing in my house when I came back, so I had to turn on the heater and combine that with physical activity ..did the dishes to warm up my hands, and dusted two rooms and swept the floors . I have now warmed up sufficiently to sit still !

Chelone, admirable restraint in attempt to keep out of helpmeets way while he labors away at the dude-stuff in the salon. Who asked about the floor in there ? I dont remember the answer-are you going to carpet, tile , wood ? Combinations there-of ? I have also viewed the version of P&P you mention- I liked that one very much too.

Cindy, I had queued up the National Weather service this morning to see of I had to plan to buy more rain-related merchandise this week, and saw that we are expecting temps near 80 in the latter part of the week. This year fall seems every bit as fickle as spring. Good for the late bloomers though . I guess even ogres have their moments of generosity ..
    Ok, back to the chores..

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Good to see Cindy back here more frequently. Phoebe was embarrassed to show her haircut to Chloe, so no photos this time. And of course Ms Kenzie is fantastic to see too! All those adorable sleeveless dresses in November...doesn't seem right somehow.

Today the temperature has risen to 33F, which is mighty chilly. Lots of snow flurries here on and off. Maybe tomorrow more outdoor clean-up will be possible as there's no mention of snow so far. On the radio this morning was an interview with some expert on how to prepare your car for winter driving. OY...If it isn't the wood stove, the furnace or the satellite dish, they have to add on the vehicles. It's true, it is most necessary, but with all these things needing attention there's no time to do the dishes or floss my teeth! ;)

Chelone, last night Phoebe destroyed my t-shirt with the dragonfly on it. :( I told DH I was putting HIM in the crate because HE was not behaving, not disciplining our pet and that she will be destroyed by his inattentiveness and laziness. GRRR! So for a few hours he is correcting her behavior. Guess how long that will last....My bet is less than 24 hours.

I hope that Sue and I both have visits from our heat experts tomorrow. How are the doggies Sue?

As I look at our cotinus Golden Spirit and its beautiful leaves, I think of Monique who grew it and influenced me to buy one. Thanks Monique & Les!

Woody, I'm not sure how the inside of the hostel in Lima looked. Perhaps I'll be told some day. I can tell you it looks like no hostel I ever stayed in! Ours were way 'rougher' than this one! And by the way, I bought an actual popover pan, so we'll see what that does for success next time I attempt baking them.

Tonight I'll be making rice with almonds and apricots. Which reminds me of nuts. I've switched from peanut butter to almond butter and am enjoying the change. Anyone notice that Marian has gained a couple of pounds lately? ;) (Just joking friend!)

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

LOL..Marie. Actually I have lost more than a couple of pounds since first getting the nutella. Of course it is not the nutella's fault. :-)

Kathy, I think of dish washing in that sense, when the weather is cold. Besides, it helps clean the crud from under my fingernails....LOL.

We are getting a nice slow rain. That is good.

15 years ago

gb - that's what I thought too - pretty fancy-looking hostel! That's why I wondered if the fancy was only on the outside....:- ) Popover pans work best if well seasoned - spray it with non-stick oil and leave it in the oven for an hour or so on very low heat. When you use it for popovers, spray it well; make sure the oven is very hot (450F) when you cook the popovers; use room temperature ingredients of course; don't wash the pan - wipe it out well with paper towel so you don't lose the seasoning. The pan will eventually turn black with use. Some people spray the pan and put it in the oven to heat before you put the batter in - I only do that when I'm making the puffed apple pancakes because I do those in onion soup bowls which are not seasoned and the batter is heavier. We washed our popover pan a week or so ago and now the popovers are sticking again - it'll take a while for it to get re-seasoned. Because the popovers are cooked at high temperature, there is no need to worry about the not-washing-the pan! But do wipe it out well to clear the grease off - non-stick spray or canola oil is best. I'm sure you know never to use butter (it burns).

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Darkness is falling at 5:34. Le sigh. In spite of predicted warm temperatures, evenings, nights and mornings are getting appreciably cooler. I suspect if it does hit 80 on Friday it will be for all of about 15 minutes. The jackets, winter hats and scarves are out. Flip-flops are consigned to their winter storage area, and more sensible shoes are at hand. We march on towards December and January, our dreariest months. On Thursday I will be driving to Healdsburg, in the other valley (Sonoma) and will take my camera along as that drive is one of the prettiest in Northern Cal and I should be able to apprehend some great fall foliage pics.

I remember listening to Belafonte at Carnegie Hall over and over as a child. Miriam Makeba was a featured guest artist(along with Odetta) and we had a small collection of recordings of theirs and other folk artists of the 50s and very early 60s.

Michelle, Kenzie looks pretty cheery in her sandals and shorts in November ! Do you have some info on that yellow affair she is seated on in pic 1 ? I cant quite figure out what its made of and what the scale is-looks huge relative to Kenzie , but she is but a small tyke !

Eden, another good thing about Corsican mint is that one does not have to be quite so careful when trodding on it in bee season. I also like elfin thyme but I think it is even less tolerant of poor drainage than other thymes. You are so right about job security Eden-it pays to be able to do everything ! I told one of my fellow managers today that I may be a vegetable by the time this winter is over , but at least I will still have a job.

Marian, lol about dishwashing and the dirt under the nails ! I have a very hard time keeping my hands and nails clean in spring and summer, even though I do now wear gloves , I dont wear them consistently.

So lets see, what has become of Anita ? Babs and Wendy have not been heard from in a while .And of course Cynthia, Honey. Dremawho else ? Im surely leaving someone out.

Dinnertime ..

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

What about V? Oh wait, she's right here.

I have major procrastination issues going on right now. There are jobs I should be doing other than idylling, but this is more fun (and more interesting!). And now it's almost bedtime.

Chelone, I'm beginning to think that it's the DH's, not the dogs, that would benefit from regular beatings. :-0 This morning when I got up at 5:15 am it was very dark, and I walked right into the case of bottled beer that had been left in the hall rather than carried downstairs. Last week, he lost his expensive sunglasses in the woods. Sunday, he decides we need to go look for them - after we've had a week a wind and rain. I found the glasses but one lens was gone. Just try and find a brown lens in a mass of wet, fallen leaves... Silly boy. He can send them in for repair, but I made it rather clear that this will be HIS errand to run.

Interesting experience at the office today. A Cooper's Hawk made a kill, then decided to eat his meal on the picnic table outside my office window. When my coworker walked out with the camera, he flew into a tree, so no good shots.

'bug, I've been in Zellers; you have my sympathy. Woolworth's meets Kmart?

I'm always amazed at how, more often than not, the two dogs will sleep in the exact same position. Right now, they are on either end of the coffee table, with their heads down and their left shoulder blades sticking up. Okay, I asked for that - Mystic just shifted to a completely different position.

Kathy, you want to talk freezing? It was 23 here this morning! I wore my Merrill clogs for the first time today - they're plush lined and quite cozy warm.

Michelle, what great pics of Kenzie! I love the excitement in her eyes. If I had 1/100th of that excitement, I wouldn't have these procrastination issues right now.

OK, who's good at making lemonade out of lemons? I wanted to have some of my flower photos printed as notecards, and I jumped and did something too fast. What I thought would be notecards are more like postcards, that is, they don't open. It wouldn't be too bad, except I had the option to print something on the back and I printed a photo credit-type message, which is now center stage on the flip side of the card. Soooo, they won't work as cards as printed. Do you crafty types think I could glue these onto plain stock notecards? The printing is beautiful; I'm just ticked at myself for not "following directions" better. (I think wine may have been involved.)

Chelone, cue the Christmas music. DH just told me he has scheduled putting up the tree with the kids. Glad he checked with me first.

I gotta go to bed before I get in trouble!

V.

• chelone
    15 years ago

Kathy beat me to it, Michelle, I want to know about that chair, too! The first thing that flashed across my mind was that it is ceramic. Whatever it is, it's a darling shot of Kenzie. A lot can happen in 4 years! So, "what's the plan, Stan" for lighting in the boudoir? didn't find what you were looking for or did the whole lighting scene overwhelm you with too many possibilities (that happens to me)?

Edens's house sure sounds like a hive of activity, probably smells pretty new, too! Can't wait to hear about (see?) colors and improvements. You may begin the countdown any time you'd like, but I'll think you're completely foolish, Eden. ;)

It was nice to hear from our busy-as-a-bee, civic-minded Cindy again. You were very wise to steal a few hours on Friday to play in the yard. I'll bet it was great. As for the investment club... well, whatever has a front has a back and recessions are the times when people lay the foundation to become wealthier. It's a buyer's market! plan accordingly. :) Does Chloe have to wear a sweater after her grooming?

The framing for the hearth is in place. It's covered with 3/4" plywood and topped with cement board over which I'll lay the tile. The side boards that will close the space between the chimney and the wall will be put up today, as will the "crown" trim that will cover the rough transition between masonry and ceiling. It was a good day yesterday! The safety rails that span the bahn's attic doors are in place and the remaining construction debris was cleaned up, too. It's now time to select some not-too-pricey tile and bring the project on home. Helpmeet seemed quite pleased with himself, and esp. liked the coffee and brownie at "break time". ;)

Grungey upholstery job today, though a pretty easy one for a local eatery. Clean up will be easy, though... I'll just trot home and wash the dishes, lol. I'd rather stay home and work around here, though. ;)

Sending good thoughts to the Cosmos for Sue's timely delivery from the jaws of November's chill.

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Good morning.

Can you believe they gave my kids Veteran's Day off? Nick absent mindedly woke Jake up and told him he'd forgot to set his alarm. I laid in bed with my book and chuckled :)

Cindy, I need a productive day like that to wrap everything in the yard up. Yesterday I smashed pumpkins and mixed them with leaves, but they never made it out of the wheelbarrow because there was some other "crisis" to attend to!

Chelone, you and Annual Man are plugging right along at lightening speed, too. I threatened to hire a handy man earlier last weekend. Guess I might have to call and get an estimate to get the fire burning under Nick's backside. If he calls my bluff, all the better :)

I can't wait to go on a road trip to Sonoma!

I think the chair looks like it belongs to Belle (of Beauty and the Beast fame) and that Kenzie is probably visiting her castle. She looks like she had a happy birthday.

Sarah is spending this MONTH celebrating her birthday and she is driving me nuts with the catalog shopping, party planning, and invitations!

Speaking of stationary: V., if it's not to late, I think you should trim the cards and glue them. You could even add a layer of tissue, lace, or maybe ribbon in between the layers! Change your name to Martha :) OOOOooooo OOOOoooo....I came to this before posting: easy: punch a small hole top and bottom and tie it on with ribbon!

GB, the scenery is beautiful! Thank you for sharing the trip with us. Count me in as someone who wants to stay in a hostel like that!

I've got a letter to type and get out before I can leave for my weekly beating at the gym :)

TTYL
    Saucy
    (I love the poem, PM!)

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good morning everyone

How fantastic - a whole day to get caught up on things. I've just sealed grout on the bathroom vanity and hope to get the faucet plumbed in today. I'm taking heart from Chelone's description of doing a big job one step at a time as this has been my MO. The end is finally in sight.

Today David has a party to attend - movie and meal out at a Buffalo Wings restaurant. Annie and I have friends coming for lunch and I might take her to see a matinee. I'd like to see "The Secret Life of Bees" but "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" looks interesting too.

DH is buried in his office - no Veteran's Day respite for him. However, he has been invited to write a guest article on the most read photo blog on the web and is psyched about that. I helped edit yesterday and it goes up tomorrow.

V - when I make note cards I always print the photos separately, then trim and glue them to folded cardstock, leaving a small border. That way I can use photo paper for the printing and a nice rag paper for the cards with matching envelopes. You can buy packs of folded notecards and envelopes from Staples etc. In fact I'm glad you reminded me as my Mum told me she has just run out of the poppy series I made her a while back and I'm thinking they would be a nice Christmas addition.

PM - I too loved the poem and really enjoy when we share things that have moved us whether they are written, visual or musical.

Mary

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Well, my weather is much like yours now, Michelle - we went to almost into the 20s last nite and it's bbrrr today with those 70s a mere memory. I guess I need to feel that much more appreciative of the Friday afternoon Indian summer cleanup!

I know that I forgot to mention way too many things without creating a 5 page post! I meant to mention how anxious I am to see Eden's new kitchen -- I thought of you on Sunday at my club mtg, the woman's home we were in, had renovated her kitchen -- it was a typical 60s type split level house of the suburbia ideals; many of us probably grew up in one similar -- they took an entire year to "redo the kitchen" as they ended up taking out a load-bearing wall, moving the laundry room upstairs, ripping out walls to make it the more open concepts of today, etc. -- can you imagine living without your kitchen for a year? Egads.... Well, I know you'll move a lot faster than that and it will be very special.

Those pics of Kenzie are so special, Michelle -- Love that chair; I know you miss her -- I love that cake too; I still recall my mother baking a Barbie cake for my sister when we were little - I was jealous for years of that thing! Funny to see how they still have the same concept....

Chelone, yes, Miss Chloe sometimes wears a "jacket" for outdoors walks after her 'do -- she hates sweaters you pull over her head; I can only get her to accept things you wrap around her w/ velcro - it's a pretty hilarious scene to watch her with a sweater and see how quickly she can disrobe. I tried booties too to protect her feet when it's wet and snowy (espc because of the chemicals applied to the walks and roads) but she wont have any of them either.

Well, I've got some meetings I've got to attend to, so I best be off -- Winter has hit DC now too, brrrrrrrr...

-cindy

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

I haven't gone in to work yet as we had freezing rain and it's a sheet of ice out there. Maybe later?

I really don't know about the chair, but I do see a book on the armrest and the cottage decor, I'm thinking Mother Goose. I'll have to ask DD.
    I was quite proud of DD for trying the cake, she always says she's not crafty and usually buys everything. I used to make cakes for my kids and they loved it. I reminded her that they were far from perfect but they never seemed to notice.

When we were kids my mom had a book that showed how to take a 9x13 or round cakes and cut them up to make different styles of cakes such as a teddy bear, swan, rocking horse, elephant and many more. I remember looking throught the book for weeks ahead of time trying to decide on which cake I wanted. She always used fluffy frosty and things such as gum drops and whip licorace for decorating.

Eden, for Kenzie's birthday I just sent a couple of puzzles and a book about letters as she is very interested in what letter everything starts with. I included $$ for Disney also. I really don't know yet about Christmas.

I love popovers and must make some one of these days. DH is getting pickier about things like that though, he wants everything to be whole grain.

V, I've done cards similar to the way Mary describes them.

Chelone, lighting in the bedroom just involves replacing 2 30+ year old fixtures one being a wall sconce. What do I pick that doesn't get too dated is always my delimmea.

I'm anxious to see Mary's bathroom and Eden's kitchen. Our downstairs bathroom needs some help. Lots of wallpaper to remove.

Kathy, you mean to say you aren't wearing sandals and shorts? Here in the cold midwest we think Californians can wear them year round.

Until later

Michelle

• jak1
    15 years ago

Hmmmm.... having some difficulty in navigation Photobucket vs. Idylls.....trying to post my one autumn photo, but when I move back and forth between the two sites, I lose one...

I need to figure this out....

{{gwi:186615}}

I think I got it...YES!! This is the view out of my bedroom window. This is the original farmhouse to which our current property belonged.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good morning...hope everyone is having a good day.

I only have a few minutes this morning. I'm waiting for DD to be here for a visit and staying for dinner tonight. Sunny here and I still have a few leaves on a few trees and shrubs. Aside from that, I guess I don't have anything much to share at all today...lol. Bor-ing!

Nice view, what a really great tree Julie!

Michelle loved the photos of Kenzie! Also wondering if that is her bedroom in Florida? She really looks so excited in the cake photo. Glad your DD tried making the cake from scratch, it's nice when they surprise you once in awhile. ;-)

Mary...sounds like a lovely day planned. Sorry for DH, DH here had to work too.

Saucy...sounds like a pleasant day shaping up at your house too. Your Sarah is how old this birthday?

Marian...I guess that is why I never see Persimmon jam. :-)

Well...I am feeling very distracted at the moment, so I am going to come back later...I have missed a lot but am enjoying the general pleasant buzz of Idyll the past few days. Glad the poem was of interest. I am out of my own photos of the garden for the year.

Hellos all around...
    pm2

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Lunchtime at my desk. There's a sleety rain falling right now; hopefully we don't get icy roads like Michelle is dealing with.

NPR just ran a Veterans Day story on the WWII song "Lily Marlene". My dad fought in the war and was a HUGE fan of the song. He even named his eldest daughter after it.

Thanks for the advice on the notecards. I'll hit the Office Max-pot (awful that I can never remember which it is!) after work. I also like Saucy's suggestion of lace or tissue under the photos. I'll have to get creative!

Back to work...

V.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Lili Marlene - English version

Underneath the lantern by the barrack gate,
    Darling I remember the way you used to wait;
    'Twas there that you whispered tenderly,
    That you lov'd me, you'd always be,
    My Lilli of the lamplight,
    My own Lilli Marlene.

Time would come for roll call time for us to part
    Darling I'd carress you and press you to my heart.
    And there 'neath that far off lantern light
    I'd hold you tight we'd kiss goodnight,
    My Lillie of the lamplight,
    My own Lilli Marlene.

Orders came for sailing somewhere over there,
    All confined to barracks was more than I could bear;
    I knew you were waiting in the street,
    I heard your feet, but could not meet,
    My own Lilli Marlene.

Resting in a billet just behind the line
    Even tho' we're parted your lips are close to mine,
    You wait where that lantern softly gleams
    Your sweet face seems to haunt my dreams,
    My own Lilli Marlene.

I remember singing this as a kid. Perhaps it is in the Fireside Book of Folksongs?

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Good Evening,

Nothing exciting to report from here. We're moving forward with the painting. I worked on the red bottom cupboard today. It involved using a gray primer first. Brad took me out to lunch. I spent some time shopping online for new counter stools and decided just to paint the ones I have. Painting is my life you know:) It's cold outside and I'd love to be able to make a pot of soup and mix up some 5min artisan bread to bake. Soon I hope. We got a new and bigger toaster oven that has a convection setting. It's great for reheating pizza. I read the first two chapters of Lace Reader last night. So far I like it.

Hope Sue got her new furnace today and is warm and cozy.

Eden

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

Yahoo-heat tonight! Temp in the kitchen when I got up this morning was a frosty 56 F. Since I won't run electric space heaters when I'm sleeping or not home, if no heat had gone another day I probably would have moved over to my friend Alice's house where I've been having a whopping good time for the past week showering, eating, sipping wine and chatting. Nothing like dealing with a monopoly public utility company. I'd say the gas company ought to get it's act together but why would they? If you want gas they're the only game in town. Anyway, I currently have the dishwasher and washing machine humming away. My second layer of fleece has been hung up and I'm enjoying a glass of celebratory wine. Tom will be bringing the dogs back shortly. Time to get back to normal around here!

Sue

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Came home from work at 4 ..I had absolutely nothing left of any value ! I went into lockdown today and spent virtually the entire day chasing ghosts and crunching numbers. Hats off to the bean counters out there who do that 40plus a week. Came home and changed and went directly to the garden for a stroll just to get a bit of fresh air. More of the same tomorrow.

Mary, I do hope that we will get a tour of the 2nd bathroom transformation ! Did you ever produce the wall fish for bath project #1 ?

Hooray for Sue ! And thank goodness for cocktails and conversation with Alice while the utilities dallied. As I am also enjoying a glass of wine I will raise it in your direction

Eden, we anxiously await the reveal here in Idyll land. You certainly dont seem to be dragging your feet on this project .

Julie, a splendid view ! Do you have tabbed browsing ? That is the easiest way to segue back and forth betwixt websites.

Very funny Michelle ! Flip-flops and shorts year round are the procedure for those people down in Southern Cal..see Denise for details !

Thats all for me tonight, I need to do something exceedingly mindless till bedtime.

Kathy in Napa

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Arrggggg! I hate plumbing. Having spent the whole afternoon hooking up the new bathroom sink I turned on the water to find the faucet (usually the hardest install) worked fine but water was gushing from under the sink instead of going down the drain. I can't for the life of me figure out what I did wrong. @#$%^%&

Sue - glad you have heat once more. Certainly something to toast.

Michelle - I'm not sure if I mentioned how adorable Kenzie is in those shots. The Barbie cake is fab and even more special given it was a first attempt. I loved decorating cakes for Annie and Davi when they were younger and remember some fun ones Babs posted. Where is Blabs these days?

Cindy - nice to have you Idylling again.

I'm trying to figure out if I have the energy or patience to re-do the plumbing. I will be soooooo glad when this is finally done. How late is Home Depot open?

Mary

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Mary, you sound like Brad about plumbing. It is his least favorite thing to do and always puts him in a bad mood. I think it just takes a lot of tweaking to get everything tightened and sealed properly. He always says even when you think you have it tight enough you don't. On the other hand you have to be careful not to overtighten and break something. When I get that frustrated I need to take a break and sleep on it. Good luck!

Oh Babs does make some really cool cakes. I miss her.

Kathy, I have been working nonstop to get this kitchen done. I don't like having it in a mess and not being able to cook. It will be at least another week before it's finished though. You've really been putting in your time at work haven't you? Nice you were able to unwind in the garden after.

Sue, good friends are worth their weight in gold in a crisis aren't they? Glad you're warm again!

Cindy, it is good to have you back!

I have to go take the trash to the curb and it's 36F . I wish I could order everything in until spring and not have to leave the house at all.

When I was in the basement painting cabinet doors this afternoon I was thinking about you all and realized it's been just about 5 years since I discovered Idylls. It was around Thanksgiving 03 though I didn't start posting until the following March. Time does fly doesn't it?

Eden

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

A good plumber
    Prompt furnace installation when necessary
    Laundry that folds itself and puts itself away...
    Is that too much to ask for?
    (I guess it is...)

Today we got the estimate for the wood stove & installation. Lots of money for something we had no intention of buying. We're sleeping on it tonight...not that we have much choice.

I'm thinking about Christmas and what, where and how to celebrate. It's a tough call this year. My chirpy self is lost right now. Perhaps preparing for the party with DH's students on the 27th will get me going. Let's hope!

Phoebe is pleased that I have bought a new supply of treats.

I'm wondering how to restore a pair of scissors from my mother. They seem worn from being wet or something...They were used for paper only...and so I fear DH may have "borrowed" them for something. Maybe I'll take a photo.

Also curious, Chelone, about the 3/4" plywood backing behind the cement board and tiles. Isn't that considered a combustible? Call me "picky picky" I guess, but those insurance guys cause no end of nonsense. Our new wood stove (if we spring for it) can be placed 5" from a combustible. Things change....

'bug

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

It's done, with modified success. Eden, you are so right about tightening things and plumbing. In my case I was not making a seal where I needed to with the drain. I've put in a vessel sink (one that sits above the counter) and installation is a little different. I bought the faucet and drain on Ebay. Their instruction booklet had a large title that read "WELCOME TO HAVE PERFECT SANITARY WARES... ENJOY EXCELLENT LIFE..." LOL! It included all the dots from I'm guessing a Chinese translation. Inside the diagrams and instructions were hopeless so I had to figure everything out myself. Hence the false starts. But things are no longer leaking, I need to buy a couple more nuts to hold things really firm but otherwise we are in business. Whew!!

GB - if you would like to consider something different perhaps you could come to use for a few days at Christmas. We will not have guests till New Years and would have room for both of you plus Phoebe. I make a mean Christmas pudding and we play lots of music and games, do puzzles and go for long walks.

I just have a few dishes to clear up then it's bed for me.

Nite all

Mary

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Phoebe and Clousseau having a Yuletide rollick? Now there's a photo I'd love to see!

Add me in to those who hate dealing with plumbing.

After you've had some sleep, Mary, we need photos of the completed project.

I did stop by Office Depot and got some card stock that will work great. I think this will be my Saturday afternoon project. Book Club is at my house Thursday night, so I won't have time until then. We're discussing "The Last Lecture", so I bought a brand new box of crayolas and will let everyone take their pick. This only makes sense if you've read the book!

V.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Oh my, I'm pretty sure no one is up to chat at this hour...Sleep is evading me.

I think I know about "The Last Lecture" if it is about the 47 year old prof. Good discussion no doubt!

Hmmm. Mary, I'll need to ask Phoebe about your suggestion. She'll need a crash course at a "finishing school" though. Her enthusiasm is not lacking...

I look forward to so many photos: the salon, V's creative cards, Mary's second bathroom, Denise in flip-flops and shorts, Deanne's new teaching area, Eden's new kitchen with newly painted stools....something from Julie too I'm sure.

OK, back to the sleep effort,
    'bug

• chelone
    15 years ago

Plumbing is simple, here are the basic precepts:
    1.) cold is on the right, hot is one the left.
    2.) -hit doesn't flow uphill.
    3.) payday is on Friday.
    I'm enjoying "The Great Mortality" and there has been recent discussion of medieval santitary provisions, or rather lack thereof. Hooray for Mary! (the operator's manuals for commercials sewing machines are often similar to that which you received with the sink... they can provide hours of humorous reading since they're pretty thick).

And I'm quite sure our own little "survivor", Sue, is just tickled pink to wash out her flannel Union Suit and be done with the no heat phase. Praise be good friends! That's great news and I sure hope you realize improved comfort and savings in the coming season.

I would like to see Phoebles and Clousseau cooking up some mischief together, too. I suspect no counter would be high enough with the two of them in the same room, lol. Mary, do you make the absolutely sinful Christmas Pudding made with suet and steamed and served with hard sauce? Mum used to make that and I've not had it in years but it's so delicious (a cardiologist's dream/nightmare). The mould is quite old, belonged to my grandmother and quite possibly her mother, too... should look for it on the next trip to THTTF.

Eden, you and I share the same appreciation of just what a can of paint and some elbow grease can do. :) I smiled when you said you shopped for new stools and then decided to spiff the old ones up. We have that in common, too. If you lived down the road we could trade furniture when we tired of what was in our houses, lol.

'bug, the hearth is raised from the floor using 2x10s, 2x4s, and a layer of 3/4" plywood atop that to provide lateral stability. There is also a layer of 1/2" cement board on top of the plywood (non-combustible). Atop the cement board there will be mortar and tiles (non-combustible). The skimcoated chimney is inside the room and that is non-combustible. The stove will be positioned just over 36" from the walls and trimwork around the windows. This meets and exceeds the code requirements our town uses (they are very strict), requirements vary somewhat with the sort of fuel a "stove" uses, propane, pellets, corn, etc.. Additionally, the stove is outfitted with a metal heatshield on the bottom of it. When in operation the tiles below the stove remain cool to the touch. Interestingly, the company offers a complete line of heat shields for sides, back, and stove pipes to assist in more challenging installations. Our insurance company has been great; we've provided them with all the specifications of the stove, the hearth, and a copy of the signed inspection.

OK, gotta run and deal with those miserable restaurant benches. I managed to get a splinter of the plywood in the pad of my right thumb yesterday. It began to fester and became quite sore. I increased the discomfort by picking away at it with a pin, but I THINK I got it (tiny!). But "Thumbkin" is still annoyingly tender.

Make it a productive day, you guys.

15 years ago

I'm glad to hear that Sue has heat and that the water is flowing properly in Mary's sink drain! I'm looking forward to pictures of Mary's bathroom, Eden's kitchen and updated photos on the Salon project - and any other renovation/decorating going on in Idyll-land.

A Clousseau/Phobe Christmas party sounds like fun! I can contribute some of the magic dog cookies.... (if Mary sends me a shipping address...) I found that a cookie bribe was a fast way to calm Phoebe down when she got over-excited and didn't want to let Misty have private time to wander off in the backyard to do bathroom duties etc. 'Sit!' with the promise of a cookie reward held her in place and settled her down wonderfully well.

Liam is due to arrive shortly for the day. I have requested a supply of his kibble accompany him - so I can feed him supper when Misty gets hers and so I have some on hand in case he gets forgotten here again sometime!

I was inspired by Saucy's fall garden course. I have signed up for a winter course from the University of Guelph's Open Learning offerings (distance education - correspondence courses). I have signed up for Landscape Design I. It's going to be more about learning to do the whole draw the plan technical thing rather that the fun stuff of designing plantings. I figure I need something to make me think harder and keep my mind from going to mush over the winter! It should be an interesting experience - it's been a long time since I took an acadenmic course in anything.... The course has a DVD in the materials and I was sure it wouldn't be captioned. I inquired and it's not captioned but they will provide me with a transcript, so that is good.

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Whew..... heat & hot water are working at Sue's house, Mary's water has stopped or been redirected more properly.... stay tuned to the next chapter of Idyll DIY -- Eden in the home stretch of kitchen reno, Chelone's chimney headed in home stretch as well... only 'bug's stove remains behind...

I personally am afraid of replacing a faucet these days for fear of entering into the big black home repair hole, LOL... I will live vicariously from your soap opera events.

It is truly amazing how quickly time fliesm Eden -- how come it goes faster as we are older? Im not sure what year I started lurking - I think it was right after the first IU...

Woody, how exciting that you too have signed up for a garden course - I look forward to hearing all about the assignments.

I have to start looking for some books to read; I realized bookworm that I used to be has somehow slowed down -- I need to restock for the coming winter hunkering down. I'll have to check out the Lace Reader.

Not much to report from this end - I arrived at the awfice to immediately overturn yesterday's coffee cup remains all over the top of the desk - that's what I get for (a) not enuf caffeine yet, and (b) not cleaning up before I leave... I hope it doesnt set the tone for the rest of the day - I am sometimes beset by clutziness waves that continue for days. I will attempt to stay away from dangerous machinery.

-Cindy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

OK Cindy, here are the before shots:
    {{gwi:186616}}

{{gwi:186617}}

Friday they are coming to dispose of it. We decided not to use it on our patio... Do not tell the red squirrels or coons about this. We don;t need them moving in during the pause til the new stove is put in.

On the old farmhouse storm window front, four are installed and two more need attention. (washing by me...)
    {{gwi:186618}}

As for my mother's scissors, here's how they look. Any thoughts on cleaning and sharpening them?
    {{gwi:186619}}

Later gators,
    'bug

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Did I accidentally hit the home improvement channel? ;)

Praise be, Sue's back on-line. Here's to generous friends and copious libations to see us through such "gasless" times. Marty is sufficiently impressed with the level of idyll heating expertise that he asked me to pose the question: What do the idylls think of an "infrared quartz" heater? First I'd heard he was interested in such a system (or that even such a system exists. Sounds slightly thermonuclear...)

Not to be left out, this house had no working heating system when we moved in, in '89. Most of the original 1917 cabinetry built-ins were intact, including the cabinets that surround the "fireplace" a bricked hearth which has no chimney but is vented to accommodate some sort of heater. (This is typical of the houses on this block, the lack of a chimnied, working fireplace, but now very few of the houses still have the original built-in's, which were demolished to accommodate placement of such 20th century essentials as tv's.)

So we eventually bought a gas hearth heater with the faux lava logs, kind of dorky looking, as Marian would say, and it's the only heating system in the whole house. Similar in shape to bug's but smaller, unattractive and modern looking. (The two newfs were a big part of the early heating system.) The bedrooms can get a bit chilly. Heater hasn't been turned on yet this fall and is a terrific pain to light.

Hate to disappoint 'bug, but I've had my winter uniform on, the wooly robe over my outer wear, for the past week. This will be my "pelt" while at home for the next five months. Sandals on my feet, tho.

More gas stories. Gas man came by promptly yesterday, Mike, and said it would be about 4K to move the meter. A quote seriously out of whack with such a whimsical notion as an outdoor bath house. Slightly different plan may be in motion, but the meter stays where it is. Mike also helpfully pointed out all the stuff that was not up to code. Thanks, Mike, but that was all the work of previous owners...

Deadlines to vanquish but hopefully a proper post later.

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Denise, wow thats alot of money to move the meter. Hope you're able to figure out something else so you can have your bath house. I just love the idea of it. Like your Mike, when Corey the electrician came to fix our loose wire he pointed out a couple of fairly major things that he said we should update. Always something to sink your money into with old houses.

Speaking of which, Marie, can't wait to see the after with the new stove. Pretty view out the window too.

Cindy, I hope your day improved after the coffee spill. I hate when that happens. I think you did enough home repairs earlier this year to last you for quite awhile.

Woody, I've always wanted to take a class like that. I loved the old days in college when I was doing drafting the old fashioned way at a board and doing renderings for a project. Will you be doing that sort of thing?

Not much kitchen progress today. Brad had to work a 12 hour day and I had Bella. I'm putting fresh shelf paper in the cupboards as I go along and I got some of that done. Baby steps moving forward.

Bella's reading to the cats in 'her room'. It's too quiet in there so I'm off to check on what's REALLY going on.

Eden

15 years ago

Eden - it appears so... The link below is to the course description - that's all the info I have at the moment.

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Woody - what a neat course. I'll look forward to hearing about it. Thank you for the offer for dog treats of things come to pass. I would have to keep them on a VERY high shelf with Clousseau the food thief around.

Denise - what IS an infra-red quartz heater?

GB - do you have a fabric store that offers knife and scissor sharpening? They look a very nice pair of scissors.

Today was a busy afternoon after work. Annie had an Otho appointment right after school. I just had time to get her home before turning around and driving David to his guitar Ensemble. I'd prepared a chicken, potatoes and veggies to go in the oven and they roasted while we were gone. The timing was perfect, everything nicely cooked but not burnt when we arrived back. (I have on occasion miss timed things and come home to a charred mess). DH and Annie had left for a meeting at school for an upcoming trip and they walked in the door just as I was serving. I love it when things come together like that and we can still sit down together and eat a home cooked meal at the end of a busy day.

I'm off to veg on the sofa watching Myth Busters with Annie and David before turning in for the night.

Mary

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

You asked, I snapped - a photo, that is.

These are the cards in process. The photos are only laid on top of the card stock; I will obsessively position them within a micron of being perfectly even before the glue sets. The one at the bottom is how they arrived from the printer. The tab is supposed to be folded back as a support, but what I thought was going to be a credit line in small print on the back turned out to be a large message in the center of the card, so they were useless as actual note cards.

{{gwi:186620}}

Here's a closeup of one with a tentative ribbon embellishment. I tend to save all sorts of little bits of ribbon, so I will play around with some odds and ends and see what works.

{{gwi:186621}}

And how about an agave in a pot?

{{gwi:186622}}

Enjoy!

V.

• chelone
    15 years ago

I spoke with my brother yesterday (it's been a long time) and meant to ask about infrared quartz heaters, since he's a building inspector and general contractor and is well "up" on things like that. However, after we spoke at length about THTTF I managed to forget completely. Sorry, Denise. Points of interest:
    1.) He feels as sad and paralyzed as I often do about THTTF, finding it difficult to go there and work. So, we've decided to sit down together, work out a repair/renovation schedule and do things together. That way, we'll be on the same page and we'll have the opportunity to visit and enjoy each other's company. He liked that suggestion and so do I.
    2.) He owns all the requisite tools for tile work, including a wet saw! I may use them for as long as I'd like. :)
    3.) He is invited for Thanksgiving and may stay as long as he'd like. He is notoriously non-committal about holidays and I'm OK with that since both the helpmeet and I (as well as BIL) share similar levels of dysfunction with regard to "family occasions". ;) I suspect he will roll in for a relaxed day/two full of good laughs.

Lol, Eden, good call on Cindy and home improvements, she certainly did have a bellyful earlier this year. What did you study in college that involved drafting boards? We have my FIL's drafting board and all his tools here, as well as many of his plans for homes as well as public parks. Even at just under 20 yrs. old our home now features many things that are not up to "code" any more!

Woody, I'm very impressed that you're delving into landscape design. I will be interested to look more carefully at the course description later this afternoon (links are too "risky" in the AM, can get sidetracked too easily!). Isn't it funny how we get sort of silly about taking classes as we get older... worries about "academics" and all that jazz. I've little doubt you will distinguish yourself as an able student. :)

V., I love the pictures you're planning to use, esp. the milkweed pods. Very clever and very pretty. Should you ever quit your "day job" that Diva Felon will have to worry.

Kathy, I share your admiration for "bean counters", too. It takes a special sort of person, I think! I toiled through financial and managerial accounting, economics, and retail buying (setting up an "open to buy", determinining mark-up, mark-down, and maintained mark-up, etc.), I loved the latter, BTW. But the idea of amortization, balance sheets, profit and loss statements as daily fodder? unhuh.

I have to skeedaddle. More restaurant seating to recover today. Then to Orange to see about budget floor tile...