Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

Dyed-in-the-Wool (2)

gardenbug
17 years ago

There are lots of interesting aspects to the preparation of wool, many still a mystery to me. But here are some of the sights at the Mill.

{{gwi:186773}}

{{gwi:186774}}

{{gwi:186775}}

{{gwi:186776}}

{{gwi:186777}}

{{gwi:186778}}

{{gwi:186779}}

For sale:

{{gwi:186780}}

{{gwi:186781}}

{{gwi:186782}}

Patterns and gadgets:

{{gwi:186783}}

More patterns, needles, buttons...

{{gwi:186784}}

It was a good day- but it will be a long time before you see Part 3 of these threads- the finished product!

Comments (10)

• chelone
    17 years ago

Any industry/skill/craft is fascinating in its own right. Mum was an avid knitter (honed her skills "Knittin' for Britain" in the early '40s), and has an amazing collection of "knatting noodles" and pattern books. I don't knit, lol!

How many head does your friend keep in her herd? What breed?

Thank you for the interesting trip inside an industry of which I know nothing.

• just_t
    17 years ago

I love seeing these photos. Thank you!! I enjoy knitting and crocheting....or at least I use to BC (before Computer). I use to have 2 knitting machines (one that did 'regular' yarn and one that did the chunkier yarns). I sold one but kept the machine and ribber that handle the regular yarns. I made all of us sweaters, sweatpant type pants to lounge around in, personalized Christmas stockings (sold a lot of those) and some tiny Christmas stocking ornaments.....what fun it was!

'bug, I'm eager to see your daughter's sweater. What a special and meaningful gift it is going to be.

T.

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Wow! those pics of all that wool make me want to learn how to knit. Yummy!

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

The colors are fabulous and those blankets really catch my eye. I'll bet they are warm too!

• martieinct
    17 years ago

What a fun thing to do, 'bug!! The sweater will be gorgeous, of course, but custom-dyed wool made by a friend makes it that much more special. Don't think I realized how many steps in the process there are.

Does she do anything with herb dying? (Should check out her website, LOL)

Martie

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes she has Martie, but mainly with yellows and greens. It is very hard to get the desired intensity of colour and to make sufficient quantities of the same colour she tells me.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Cool Marie...interesting too. Thanks for giving us a behind the scenes peek.

Sue

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Interesting ! My friend owns a yarn shop in downtown Napa-knitting seems to be undergoing a resurgence of sorts. I don't have the patience, but I love to look at all the colors-thanks for posting these pics...
    Kathy in Napa

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Marie, thank you for posting the dyeing of the yarn process. And thank you to Donna for the tour of their facillity. I will check out the website.
    I still love the colors you chose and the jacket will mean a lot to both you and your daughter. Norma

• laurelin
    17 years ago

This was very interesting - thank you for the "guided tour." Now I wish I could knit. I tried to learn, unsuccessfully, many years ago - maybe I'm old enough and finally patient enough to give it another go.

Laurel