Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Gleaming colors

In keeping with 408's theme, I took some pictures of some of the gleaming colors out there today. I thought I'd post them here so as not to slow down the main thread. Add yours here too...?

This is the gorgeous Japanese Maple at a neighbour's. It is always a show-stopper!

{{gwi:186799}}

The Viburnum opulus by the garage has nice color this year. Usually it is nothing special. Last year is was heavily damaged by what I assume was viburnum beetles - I didn't think it would suvive. But it came back well this spring, although it never bloomed. Maybe the stress helped produce this year's color:

{{gwi:186869}}

The angel roses are now mostly a colorful hip display although there are still flowers too. (How's yours doing Martie?)

{{gwi:186871}}

The Hot Cocoa rose still has some flowers hanging in . The haze of red behind and to the left is the angel rose hips that are in the previous picture:

{{gwi:186873}}

This little 'Shaina' Japanese Maple is in the top corner of the north alley. This variety is only supposed to get 4-5' tall and 3-4' wide so hopefully someday it will just nicely fill that corner.

{{gwi:186874}}

The 'Waterfall' JM we planted by the shed in 2007 is looking good too - this is not the best of pictures though!

{{gwi:186875}}

This JM is a seedling of the neighbour to the north's tree. We planted this in the back corner in 2000 - there was no fence there at the time and both we and the neighbours thought where we planted it was on our property. When we had a survey done a few years later before putting up the fence, it turned out that the tree was on the neighbour's side! We didn't bother trying to move it so now we just enjoy it over the fence. It seems to like where it is.

{{gwi:186876}}

The neighbour gave us a couple of new seedlings this spring (in exchange for the rhodos that weren't doing well here...) Two of the seedlings seem to be doing well but some have died. It'll be interesting to see if these ones survive the winter. If they do, I'm going to see if Becky can find a few more seedlings to replace the ones that died. It would be nice to fill in under the white pines with a bunch of the young JMs.

{{gwi:186877}}
{{gwi:186878}}

Comments (33)

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Woody, you certainly have some vibrant colors going on there. How neat to have JM seedlings.

Michelle

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Woody, what pretty JMs. I've added 6 or 7 to my garden over the last few years and they are the stars of November for sure. My angel rose is still blooming a bit too. Thanks for sharing you colors with us.

Eden

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Some beautiful colors Woody. I too, espacially like the JMs, and think you are so fortunate to have them. If ours has any seedlings I haven't found them. BTW, ours that was frozen back a year ago this spring, put out several sprouts from the stump. I haven't pruned any out, but will if it survives this winter.
    I sent for another from Vernon Barnes, and it took forever to leaf out this spring. It is still in a bucket, and I will continue growing it in the bucket next year, if it survives the winter. I don't think it has as pretty red leaves as the other one.

Isn't it strange how differant the colors are from year to year....

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Eden - did you start your angel rose from seed or buy it? I've never seen them for sale anywhere - although I did provide a couple of seedlings for the local horticultural society to sell at their plant sale in 2006 when our garden was on their tour.

Michelle and Marian - Becky's JM seems to produce a lot of seedlings - it's almost as bad as an ordinary maple for dropping seed keys that germinate easily. The one I planted in the corner that ended up on the other side of the fence was a seedling that popped up in one of the patio beds - we assumed it blew in from Becky's tree. Becky has to weed JM seedlings out of her garden like I have to weed out ash seedlings! So she's more than willing to give me seedlings if I want them.... She thinks her tree is a 'Bloodgood' one but she's not really sure.

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

I started mine from seed 4 or 5 years ago. I think it was called angel wing rose on the package. I've never collected seed though.

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Woody, lovely lovely colors! This is my very favorite time for fall color. The late season rusty reds, caramels, and warm honey yellows. Don't you love JM's???

Here are a couple photos I've taken in the last week.
    {{gwi:186879}}

{{gwi:186880}}

{{gwi:186881}}

{{gwi:186882}}

I'm including a link to a few more photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glowing Colors

Original Author
    15 years ago

Eden - from what I can find on the internet, it looks like the Angel Wing roses are either the same thing as I have or a selection of scented semi-doubles/doubles. I suspect mine are the orginal species as most are singles and double forms are far less common. Also, not all of them are scented. Is yours a scented double?

Deanne - I agree that all these late fall rusty tones are great. I was just admiring all the rusty shades of leaves accumulated at the edges of the patio and paths when I let Misty out just now. Your photos capture it well.

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Woody, my angel rose is a single, no fragrance that I've detected

{{gwi:186883}}

Here are a few pictures from this morning...

yellow twig dogwood

{{gwi:186884}}

fothergilla

{{gwi:186885}}

gentiana scabra (for Monique if she's reading along, I finally got it to grow!)

{{gwi:186888}}

bog plants

{{gwi:186890}}

{{gwi:186892}}

a blanket of leaves (and Bud)

{{gwi:186894}}

Eden

Original Author
    15 years ago

Eden - it looks like your rose maybe has bigger flowers than mine - but that might just be that scale is had to tell in the picture. My guess is that yours is perhaps the full China Rose and mine is the 'minima' dwarf version. Great roses in either case I think!

What is that bog plant in the picture above Bud?! It sort of looks obscene... :-)

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

The first bog plant is sarracenia purpurea and the second is sarracenia scarlet belle. They are strange looking plants.

Here's a pic of the rose with my thumb for scale. They're tiny flowers, especially this late in the season.

{{gwi:186895}}

Eden

Original Author
    15 years ago

That looks like my angel roses in size so I think we have the same thing.... Great little plants - I love'em!

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Hi, all. Thought I would add a little fall color too. DD and DSIL was hoping to see fall color while visiting from FL. They made it just in time for our peak and two days after they left most of the trees are bare. DD and I walked every day and had an enjoyable visit. She took this pic of me standing on a big rock in the creek.
    {{gwi:186896}}
    Woody you have some nice color in your yard.
    You too Eden and I love seeing Bud among the leaves.
    Love the closeups too Deanne.

I'll try to upload a few more pictures. I wanted to see if I could do one first. Norma

• chelone
    15 years ago

Hi Norma! you're an island in the stream. :)

I am so impressed with the Jap. Maples you guys. We have only one here, Bloodgood, I suspect (it's getting quite large). It fascinates me that the deep purple foliage actually turns bright red and the finish to the season with foliage that is brighter and more vibrant than that of the growing season. No sign of volunteers as yet, though. But your shots are a timely reminder to add more of them to the plantings around here.

I love the little weeping one next to your shed, Woody. I'm particularly fond of that silhouette and the yellow leaves really caught my eye. You and Kathy are weakening my prejudice against roses, you know!

And Eden, my first reaction to the bog plants was precisely that of Woody. I cracked up when I read her comment just after viewing your picture, too funny. It's so interesting that plants have evolved to "make a living" nearly every available location and yet often struggle when the precise conditions are not met. Bud looks pretty relaxed in your garden, BTW. Great shots.

Deanne, I think the climbing hydrangea puts on a lovely foliage display, too. Mine is now devoid of leaves but it turns the prettiest bright green and then melts into yellow. At present I'm satisfying myself with the handsome peeling bark and leftover "flowers". I love the structural aspect of the trunk and stems. Just a beautiful plant in all seasons. I love the light shining through the oak leaf, breathtaking!

Thanks for the show, you guys. Color is pretty much gone here but here are a few from some time ago:
    {{gwi:186898}}
    {{gwi:186900}}
    {{gwi:186902}}

I should have gotten a few shots of the Vaccinium corymbosum, highbush blueberries. They were beautiful this year, bright red and longlasting.

Thanks for the beautiful morning tour.

• chelone
    15 years ago

I did a quick cruise through pictues and found some more. I like the bright green grass and the yellow-y/gold cast of the foliage in this series.

This is the south side of the house, full sun in summer, but quite shadey in the autumn. Hydrangea anomala (petiolaris)to far right, Magnolia stellata to far left, a trimmed oak at centre.
    {{gwi:186904}}

Hydrangea anomala (petiolaris) trained on the fence and over the arbor atop the posts. The growth on the fence was unplanned but could be fun to prune in a more formal manner.
    {{gwi:186905}}
    {{gwi:186906}}

This is the Hydrangea taken from the Terrace/"South Lawn" area. You are looking east/barely northeast and I took this picture early/mid morning:
    {{gwi:186907}}

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

It was a spectacular year here for colour! I was not a spectacular photographer though...

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

So many beautiful colors and pictures! My favorite is Chelone's first one. I did not see any view that pretty here this fall.

I am not too happy with my pics on the two 2008 threads that I posted, so I am giving a link to the 2006 fall pics in my PT album, for those who did not see them

Here is a link that might be useful: 2006

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I don't know how to put more than one link one a post, so here is another one from 2006:
    ( It has prettier colors than the first....)

Here is a link that might be useful: color link

Original Author
    15 years ago

I echo Marian's comment Chelone - that first picture you posted is spectacular! I didn't see anything that good around here this year....

I agree that the highbush blueberries had fabulous intense red color this year. Mine are growing in pots along the driveway and they made a very pretty showing for a few weeks.

We picked up the 'Waterfall' Japanese maple at Vineland Nurseries in Niagara - have you been there gb? It's a fabulous little place, especially for trees and shrubs. It's not very big - and looks like it sort of grew out of a home business - but they have a great selection of trees and shrubs. It was hard to choose just one JM there :- )

Chelone - I'm a rose sceptic too but I have found some acceptable ones over the past couple of years. I do a fair bit of research before I buy one and, if it doesn't perform up to my expectations, out it goes! Hot Cocoa is marginal and I waffle about keeping it or not. Every time I'm about to yank it, it presents itself in a pleasing manner and gets a reprieve :-) It is a bit too prone to blackspot on the lower leaves - but so far, it has just stayed on the lower leaves only so I end up stripping the lower leaves in late August. And I will no doubt next year continue to debate with myself whether to keep it or not.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Vineland came to me Woody! They gave a talk at the Hort Society and brought a few things along. Even though they were supposed to be especially hardy, I lost them. :( That was a long time ago though.

The nicest color came from Cotinus Golden Spirit this year. Beautiful! I still loved my Tiger Eye Sumac though. But the reds along our roads were fabu fabu.

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Not much left to gleam, here, but there are a few bursts of color around The Park:

{{gwi:186908}}

{{gwi:186909}}

{{gwi:186910}}

{{gwi:186911}}

This is more purple than brown in person --
    {{gwi:186912}}

{{gwi:186913}}

{{gwi:186915}}

Martie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Woody...I enjoyed all your photos. That 'Shaina' Japanese Maple is one I have on my list. Isn't it a bright shot of red! I also really think that 'Waterfall' Japanese Maple next to the shed is going to grow into a wonderful compliment to it. Such a pretty color and I bet it will be very graceful as it matures.

Deanne...such vivid photos of the lovely colors in your garden too! I like that last photo the way the light is hitting the leaf.

Eden...you have a few pretty native shrubs there. Fothergilla has to be one of my favorites for fall color. Are the bog plants in your tub? Wasn't it just empty this spring? What is it that is still full of green leaves in the upper left of your last photo? Bud looks lost w/o his friend Bella. :-)

Hi Norma! Glad you had time to have a leisurely visit with DD. Will you be seeing them for the holidays? Great photo!

Chelone....have to agree that first photo is especially colorful. I don't see as many of the reds around here and too much yellow w/o the oranges and reds to break it up gets a little dull after awhile. I also liked the second photo, is that a salt flat in your area? I like the third photo of the Bahn and the house. First time I think I have seen it from that angle and the Bahn in relationship to the house, is finally adding up to me. [g] You have a LOT of fall color too!

Marian....I enjoyed your 2006 Fall photos. I remember that one of 'your hill', such a pretty scene. You have great fall colors too, a little bit of all of them and your Dawn Redwood is a special tree. You must really like trees, you have such a great selection.

Bug...I am glad you enjoyed your Fall colors this year and that they were very good for you. I don't see how you can say you didn't take good photos this year, I loved the thread you had of your fall garden and especially that 'Tiger Eye' Sumac. I look forward to more photos next year. :-) AND...winter photos too!

Martie, what colorful little tree seedlings you have there! I have only seen one Japanese Maple seedling in our garden in the ten years it's been growing and DH weeded it out by mistake. [g] You had huge flower heads on your Sedum this year. That last photo is a nice one. Your lavender edging is going to be much fuller next year, I am sure. Is that a rugosa rose with the yellow leaves behind the lavender? and what is the shrub that is over the shoulder of it that is a deeper gold? I was also wondering how you made out with your Campanula 'Clips' series edging? Did the critters get it all?

I'm feeling the urge to plant more Japanese Maples. I love the one I have, which is also a 'Bloodgood', Chelone. I have avoided getting another because I didn't think I had room for another tree, but that 'Shaina' is one that stays small and I imagine I can find some room for it. I can also use more red in my back border. We have an abundance of yellow.

pm2

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Starting on October 28th, then November 4th, November 5th, November 6th, November 8th cloudy, November 8th in the sun, November 9th, an hour ago.

{{gwi:186917}} {{gwi:186919}} {{gwi:186921}} {{gwi:186923}}{{gwi:186925}}{{gwi:186927}}

{{gwi:186928}}

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Martie, what is the second pic with the berries? I love those little red maples. So very red! What hydrangea is that?

Pm2, that is a beautiful tree. Yes, I am very fond of trees, and espacially unusual ones. Where I grew up we had very very few trees in our yard. Only a couple of very small willows were I was born, and cottonwoods( and fruit trees) were I lived as a teen, and again when our son was small. When we moved onto our own place in town, I started planting trees, and have done it ever since. :-)

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Oh, PM2!!!! We have the littlest JM's known to man! By the time these babies grow up our yet to be born grandchildren will be Idylls :-) I'll let them grow on and when you get your Digitalis next year, I'll send one along :-)

The vine with berries is the ravenous Bittersweet. If I was really smart I'd hire a backhoe to get it all out, but the tree was dying, anyway so here it is.

If you're talking about the white/pink bloom, Marian, that's Viburnum carlesii that smells as wonderful as it is pretty. It has always (4th year) developed some bloom in Fall, and it doesn't seem to affect Spring bloom at all. It will make purple berries in about January from the current flowering.

Campanula carpatica made it for about the last 5' of the path. What the critters didn't get, the sandy soil did, so the look will change a bit but I actually like it better.

Golden shrub behind the Rugosa is Chionanthus retusus, a true work horse in the garden.

Lavs are coming along. I like using 'Munstead' in straight lines because they become rounded and give the hedge some form.

Truly enjoying everyone's pics....

Martie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Marian...that tree is really a 'weed tree' [g], one the birds brought in and it grew in the middle of a shrub while the whole back border was neglected for a good 10 years. Many years it is a muddy yellow but once in awhile it surprises us with an exceptional year. It drops down a gazillion seeds that sprout everywhere and I would love to get rid of it, if I were 20 years younger and wouldn't have to wait 10 years to screen out my neighbors. :-) I thought it would be fun to see how it changed over the course of the past 2 weeks though.

We grew up in the city and rarely have lived on a property with more than a few nondescript trees. We did have a business property in the family that had a huge Purple Beech that had to be at least 75 yrs old, but it was in a small city yard and nothing would grow in the whole yard. I really do love trees too. The last time I had an opportunity to visit the Arnold Arboretum in Boston, it was fall and it was a memorable day that I wish I could repeat more often. It would give me a lot of joy to live close enough to an area like that, to be able to see beautiful trees every day.

I do envy you your property, that you can plant a lot of trees. I have planted two on our property, the others were here. The 'Bloodgood' Japanese Maple was a $25. 2 gallon pot when I planted it. It is such a rewarding experience to plant a tree and watch it grow every year. The bigger it gets, the more amazing it is.

Do cottonwoods drop cottony material that float in the air? We have a tree at the Pond near us that rains down white fuzz sometime in June or July and it looks like it is snowing. Pretty sure it is fragrant too, but I can't remember the name of it. Don't think it is a cottonwood though.

Martie...maybe you could make a nice Bonsai from them instead and you won't have to wait so long. :-) A Fringe Tree? Is it going to get 20ft tall? I like the color and the leaf shape and habit. Is it hardy to z6?

Do you have a new plan for edging the path where the Campanula was going to be? What do you do with all the lavender? Any thoughts of making some soaps with them or something similar, or sachets for your drawers?

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Ah shoot, Martie...where is my mind!? I certainly should have known that is a Viburnum, not a hydrangea! And I am a Viburnum collector! I just do not have any that bloom so late in the year.

Yes, Pm2. Cottonwood trees have lots and lots of 'cotton' that flies around and clogs up window screens. They are members of the Poplar family,( Populus), the same as Aspen. They are big pretty trees, but the 'cotton' can be pretty annoying. They have no fall color that I recall.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Marian, when I lived in Sedona Az, the next town to the west was Cottonwood-so named for the multitude of those trees growing along the Verde River. I remember the flying puffballs, but also remember the foliage turning a bright yellow in fall...

I am really enjoying this thread by the way !

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I am pretty sure the Cottonwoods in my parent's yard in near Jerome, Idaho was Populus deltoides, the Eastern Cottonwood, which is not native that far west. The website says they generally do not turn yellow in dry areas, and we lived in an area that depended on irrigaton to grow crops.I was not as into tree research when I lived there....:-(
    There are several species in the west and southwest that are native there. They have either smaller leaves, or leaves that are silvery on the backs.
    I misspoke when I said they are of the Poplar family. They are of the Willow Family, and the Poplar genus. :-(

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Marian, I looked up the variety on the AZ state park website- those along the Verde River in AZ are Populus fremontii , Fremont Cottonwood. My book tells me they turn a lemon yellow in the fall--nice to know that my memory has not failed me !(yet, lol) . The reference that you read about needing moisture for fall color makes sense-the trees in Az were riparian and though in an exceedingly dry climate they were clustered along the length of the river.

Kathy in Napa

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

What a wonderful thread everyone with trees both little and large, made even more special with a glimpse of Norma through the leaves. The half dozen JMs I've planted have to be some of my favorite plants in the garden and shine in both spring and fall. For some reason my beloved my Tiger Eye Sumac browned out this fall but had been beautiful all summer. I finally moved it behind the pool fence as it was pure deer candy.

Mary

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Norma, Mary's post reminded me that I had never told you how much the pic of you standing on a big rock in the creek reminded me of our place. Do you have bluffs and lots of woods? I am imagining that you have many of the same type of native plants as we do.

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

I was very lax in snapping photos of what was a glorious fall, but last week this rainbow made me get the camera out. It was a complete full rainbow, but it was raining just hard enough that I wouldn't venture off the shelter of the porch with my camera. I could care less about getting wet, but hte camera may have minded.

{{gwi:186929}}

The best color in the photo is from the prairie grasses. That's mostly Indian grass and little bluestem. Closer to the house you can see some very dark red from the Physocarpus 'Diablo'.

V.

Original Author
    15 years ago

I should probably let V's beeautiful rainbow end this thread - it seems like an appropriate final image... But I downloaded the camera just now and found a close up of the Shaina JM that Randy took last Sunday when the color was still definitely gleaming!
    {{gwi:186930}}

I also took a picture this morning of some of the pots of strawberries on the driveway - the color of the leaves havs been amazing this fall, especially on sunny days - which today is definitely not! The back row of pots is highbush blueberries - they had wonderful color a few weeks ago too but are now just bare sticks :-(
    {{gwi:186931}}