Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just_t

Idyll #339 Autumn's glorious colors

just_t
16 years ago

I thought it would be fun to see more of the colors of autumn that surround us.

T.

{{gwi:187004}}

Comments (101)

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The final installment of the electrician's saga. The mechanical crew returned today to finish connecting everything now that the correct wiring was available. Of course, to deal with electricity they had to open the circuit breaker panel to turn the power off.

They had to break the latch on the door to open it!

I'm sure the guy was surprised at my reaction when he apologized for damaging it - "No, don't worry - it makes me feel better because I couldn't open it for love or money (or dinner) last night!"

I adopted the slothful nature of Chelone's coworker and left early today. Okay, maybe it was the chest cold that made me leave early. Nothing that a little couch time and hot tea won't cure; it was just getting to be too uncomfortable on an otherwise quiet day. I'll climb into bed fairly soon and finish off my latest book - "Garden Spells" by Sarah Addison Allen. So far, it's a good read that moves quickly. Reminds me very much of the best of Alice Hoffman's books.

I'll leave you with a poem I found with an apt title:

November Idyll: After the still life

Above the grain field stubble
    a lift of cranes

like a great table cloth
    shaken
    - David Lee

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Love that vocabulary link V . I must admit to being stumped a few times, but I certainly never got up to bugs level ! Its a fun refresher , and a reminder of very serviceable words that one has not used in awhile. I might collect a couple of obscure ones to drop in a meeting sometimealways fun to see who admits they dont know what the hell you are talking about and who does not .

Denise, I waxed a bit melancholy on viewing your lazy kitty pic, that feline is twinlike to our beloved Phoebe who we had put down a couple years ago (after a long life 15 plus as I recall) but she was a pistol, our smallest and all the others were terrified of her. Pack leader to the max although she had no use for mingling with the others- she was definitely the empress around here.I get the no-music deal now. Totally similar to my feelings about music at work- your home is your office, ergo no music.
    My floppy alstroemeria is a color I dont like kind of a yukky brown-yellow combo. It was unlabeled on a markdown table. Get what you pay for sometimes.
    If my squash thing works this weekend, the recipe will be duly noted !

So on the topic of the south facing room, my BILs who moved to Portland from Huntington Beach by way of Mendocino County have a pretty sweet set up for wintering over. Their living room and family room have a west exposure with lots of glass, and they move all their cymbidiums and Meyer lemon and a few others into that west window for the winter. When I get up there I have all intentions of buying a greenhouse kit, with all needed bells and whistles so I can move my citrus, orchids and other tender tropical there for the winter. Thinking an 8 by 10 will do it.

Chelone, perhaps you need to dub that upstairs garage space The Studio , or better yet, have an Idyll event and create a Salon.. Idylllers lolling comfortably with cocktails in hand, peering out the windows at The Compound and making remarkably witty conversation. Oh yeah, and food too.

Martie, how useful to have a guy around the house who can build things, even if he occasionally shoots down impractical ideas ! It is indeed a great fantasy.

Woody, I just love that window in your house that is a bow window right? You dont see them much here. Its really beautiful. Is that a white oak or a red oak ?

OK , hi ho to everyone, I need to go whip up some dinner-

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    16 years ago

I love the Ode to Sloth. I have a very soft spot for grey kitties (well, all kitties), but my Junie was all grey and he was my personal emissary... casually and confidently sauntering over to greet anyone who came to visit. I was able to glean a great deal of information about someone by watching them react to him.

Woody the color of your tree is beautiful. I love to watch the trees go from hot, intense, flaming colors to the more russet and brown palette. The oaks here are browner than your's and some are beginning to give up some leaves. Your windowsill shot reminds me that the geraniums in the secondfloor window boxes are getting peaked and if I want to save them I'd best "hop to it"!

You have a perfect reason to cuddle up at home, V.. My co-worker is, I believe, a hypochondriac. ANY little ailment is cause to go home... usually occurs around holidays or right after a long weekend. I do enjoy her bright sense of humor, but find the shirking at work irritating. And the perpetual grousing about being broke gets "old" fast, too. It's my Puritan genes... HAS to be. I loved the November Idyll, too.

The helpmeet went on safari last night to round up Polly. His approach is to circumnavigate the Compound with a flashlight. He excitedly came in to tell me he caught an OWL roosting in a shrub last night. It was small, about 8"H, and just sat there, patiently looking at him and waiting for the beam of light to go away. Polly came over shortly thereafter.

Yes, Kathy, the Idylls would make a lovely and witty addition to the "Salon", wouldn't they? :)

Time to check the weather report, eat some cereal, and get to those remaining curtains. Yippee.

Wondering about Deanne, EDEN, Honey, Babs., etc..

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Proven awesome autumn veggie side dish:

Various hard squash cut into 1" cubes to equal approximately 10 cups. I use what looks best but always have more than one variety.

Grease large baking dish with fat substance of choice and put squash into dish.

Use approximately 1 cup of Real Maple Syrup -- nothing with added sugar, etc. Drizzle syrup all over squash. NOTE: If you can't find real syrup, let me know and I'll send you some.

Smash and coursely mince about 5 good-sized cloves of garlic and sprinkle over top of squash/syrup.

Stir everything to blend and coat, dot with butter (go for the gusto!!) and let sit for at least a few hours or overnight.

Bake at 375degF for about 90 minutes, or until squash is fork tender. Stir occasionally for even heating.

Simple, easy, satisfying!!

Martie

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Well, this front loading machine is quite entertaining. Turns out you can't do much work if you're in the laundry room with your eyes glued to the looky-loo window they put in for your viewing pleasure :)

I wonder if the clthes are going to be cleaner and use less water/soap like "they" promise?

Count me among the one's who'd like to have a solarium, but the price of doing it right is cost prohibitive. The most I can hope for is the room Nick and I are working on....lots of insulated windows and skylights with radiant floor heating and good humidity for tropicals. I imagine the plants will be clamoring to get outside every spring just like they are now....

I like the idea of meeting up at Chelone's Salon for some good food and conversation! How neat about the owl! I hope it stays in the area as I'd like to hear more. Did I tell you all that I have a fisher? He's very weasle-y (yes, I know they're in the same family, but people describe them as vicious) looking and seems almost comical in movement. He's hanging out behind the wood stack for now.

I've gotta get going...the laundry is coming to a finish and I still have to get to the gym before I get to work in the home office which is starting to get old - I think I need to be firm on my working hours :)

TTYL

Saucy

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Possibly Chelone's owl is a saw whet owl? See below.

The house is a pig pen and it is raining outside. How can I avoid housework??? There must be a way. Perhaps I'll finish some painting of the family room that I began last January, then grocery shop.

Did 30 minutes on the treadmill but I'm antsy to get other stuff accomplished so that's it for now.

Later!
    'bug

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

This is worth reading:
    I was aware that female heart attacks are different, but this is the best description I've ever read .

Women and heart attacks (Myocardial infarction). Did you know that women rarely have the same dramatic symptoms that men have when experiencing heart attack...you know, the sudden stabbing pain in the chest, the cold sweat, grabbing the chest and dropping to the floor that we see in the movies.

Here is the story of one woman's experience with a heart attack.

"I had a completely unexpected heart attack at about 10:30 pm with NO
    prior exertion, NO prior emotional trauma that one would suspect might've
    brought it on. I was sitting all snugly and warm on a cold evening, with my
    purring cat in my lap, reading an interesting story my friend had sent me,

and actually thinking,"A-A-h, this is the life, all cozy and warm in my
    soft, cushy Lazy Boy with my feet propped up." A moment later, I felt that
    awful sensation of indigestion, when you've been in a hurry and grabbed a
    bite of sandwich and washed it down with a dash of water, and that hurried
    bite seems to feel like you've swallowed a golf ball going down the
    esophagus in slow motion and it is most uncomfortable. You realize you
    shouldn't have gulped it down so fast and needed to chew it more thoroughly
    and this time drink a glass of water to hasten its progress down to the
    stomach. This was my initial sensation---the only trouble was that I hadn't
    taken a bite of anything since about 5:00 PM. "After that had seemed to subside,

the next sensation was like little squeezing motions that seemed to be racing up

my SPINE (hind-sight, it was probably my aorta spasming), gaining speed as they

continued racing up and under my sternum (breast bone, where one presses

rhythmically when administering CPR). This fascinating process continued on into

my throat and branched out into both jaws. AHA!! NOW I stopped puzzling about

what was happening--we all have read and/or heard about pain in the jaws being one

of the signals of an MI happening, haven't we? I said aloud to myself and the cat,

"Dear God, I think I'm having a heart attack !" I lowered the foot rest, dumping the cat

from my lap, started to take a step and fell on the floor instead. I thought to myself

"If this is a heart attack, I shouldn't be walking into the next room where the phone is

or anywhere else.......but, on the other hand, if I don't, nobody will know that I need help,

and if I wait any longer I may not be able to get up in moment." "I pulled myself up with

the arms of the chair, walked slowly into the next room and dialed the Paramedics...

I told her I thought I was having a heart attack due to the pressure building under the

sternum and radiating into my jaws. I didn't feel hysterical or afraid, just stating the facts.
    She said she was sending the Paramedics over immediately, asked if the front door was

near to me, and if so, to unbolt the door and then lie down on the floor where they could

see me when they came in. "I then laid down on the floor as instructed and lost consciousness,

as I don't remember the medics coming in, their examination, lifting me onto a gurney or

getting me into their ambulance, or hearing the call they made to St. Jude ER on the way,

but I did briefly awaken when we arrived and saw that the Cardiologist was already there

in his surgical blues and cap, helping the medics pull my stretcher out of the ambulance.

He was bending over me asking questions (probably something like "Have you taken any
    medications?") but I couldn't make my mind interpret what he was saying, or form an answer,

and nodded off again, not waking up until the Cardiologist and partner had already threaded

the teeny angiogram balloon up my femoral artery into the aorta and into my heart where they

installed 2 side byside stints to hold open my right coronary artery. "I know it sounds like all

my thinking and actions at home must have taken at least 20-30 minutes before calling the

Paramedics, but actually it took perhaps 4-5 minutes before the call, and both the fire station and

St. Jude are only minutes away from my home, and my Cardiologist was already to go to the OR

in his scrubs and get going on restarting my heart (which had stopped somewhere between my

arrival and the procedure) and installing the stints.

"Why have I written all of this to you with so much detail? Because I want all of you who are so

important in my life to know what I learned first hand."

1. Be aware that something very different is happening in your body not

the usual men's symptoms, but inexplicable things happening (until my
    sternum and jaws got into the act ). It is said that many more women than
    men die of their first (and last) MI because they didn't know they were
    having one, and commonly mistake it a s indigestion, take some Maalox or
    other anti-heartburn preparation, and go to bed, hoping they'll feel better
    in the morning when they wake up....which doesn't happen. My female
    friends, your symptoms might not be exactly like mine, so I advise you to
    call the Paramedics if ANYTHING is unpleasantly happening that you've not
    felt before. It is better to have a "false alarm" visitation than to risk
    your life guessing what it might be!

2. Note that I said "Call the Paramedics". Ladies, TIME IS OF THE
    ESSENCE! Do NOT try to drive yourself to the ER--you're a hazard to
    others on the road, and so is your panicked husband who will be speeding and
    looking anxiously at what's happening with you instead of the road. Do NOT
    call your doctor--he doesn't know where you live and if it's at night you
    won't reach him anyway, and if it's daytime, his assistants (or answering
    service) will tell you to call the Paramedics. He doesn't carry the
    equipment in his car that you need to be saved! The Paramedics do,
    principally OXYGEN that you need ASAP. Your Dr. will be notified later.

3. Don't assume it couldn't be a heart attack because you have a
    normal cholesterol count. Research has discovered that a cholesterol
    elevated reading is rarely the cause of an MI (unless it's unbelievably
    high,and/or accompanied by high blood pressure.) MI's are usually caused
    by long-term stress and inflammation in the body, which dumps all sorts of
    deadly hormones into your system to sludge things up in there. Pain in the
    jaw can wake you from a sound sleep. Let's be careful and be aware. The
    more we know, the better chance we could survive...

• chelone
    16 years ago

I can't wait to show the helpmeet the Saw-whet owl and find out if he thinks that's what it was. I occasionally find the castings of owls or raptors under the tall trees on the golf course, but I've never seen an owl in this area. I've seen a Snowy Owl and a Great Horned Owl, but that was when I was a kid in MA., and the Snowy was a freak visitor.

We have Fishers here, too. Aren't they BEAUTIFUL? I so, so hate it when something so supremely adapted to hunt is portrayed by the ignorant as, "vicious". They do what they're designed to do and they do it with no maliciousness (more than you can say for humans). They hunt to eat. Sometimes they take chickens, rabbits, CATS, or small dogs. So what? that's "life in the food chain"! Make sure your kitty is inside at night, Saucy. I worry about that sort of thing, but Rex is a deterrant and our cats are indoors at night, so that minimizes a certain amount of risk, the rest of it? well... I'm a realist; and while I'd be sad if one of our kitties fell prey to a Fisher, I'd be OK knowing it fed the next generation of such handsome creatures. (Pulling my collar higher to cover my red neck). Maybe a front loader would be a good purchase for the household that doesn't have cable TV? ;)

Co-worker called bright and early to tell me in low, mournful tones she couldn't turn her head... (what a surpise). I have 3 curtains left to go. My boss is thoroughly irritated and has contemplated telling her to stay home until after Thanksgiving, since nothing is pressing. I balm myself with the knowledge that Christmas bonuses tend to reflect one's willingness to do the right thing when it's most needed. But my wrists are sore, and it mighty warm under my collar.

The newest shoots on the geraniums are decidedly flacid. I THINK they can be resurrected, but methinks I've dilly-dallyed a wee bit too long for a pre-Christmas flush of flowers. C'est la guerre.

A relatively recent convert to the winter squashes, I'm intrigued by Martie's recipe. I'm not NUTS about the concept of sweetening what is already (for me) a marginally too sweet vegetable, but the garlic might prove to be the perfect foil. I agree, NOTHING is like real maple syrup... a little of that "high test" goes a long way!

My house is a dump, too, 'bug. I don't care. I'm not thrilled about Thanksgiving. Sad. Helpmeet wants to invite a friend and his wife, I'm ambivilent but he lives here, too. And maybe some guests other than our brothers would be fun. Maybe what I need is a shove...

Thinking we haven't heard from Marian of late... about to give up on Eden, but do understand how life can intrude on such things as Idyll chatter... hope Michelle and V. soon see their colds pack up and leave them to recover before the holidaze.

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Chelone, I make something similar to Martie's recipe except I use coarse salt and red pepper flakes along with the garlic (no maple syrup) because I think orange veggies are too sweet for my liking.

GB, that was very interesting and a very good description instead of the usual, "it's not like a man's heart attack."

Do you think the helpmeet will declare he "Saw Whet?" Get it? Saw it? I crack myself right up.

Nick came home to find the kids watching the wash waiting for their clothes to come out. Sarah doesn't like that you can see her undies go round and round.....if only they were lime green :)

Anybody watching Pushing Daisies? I'm loving this show....very odd and catches my funny bone in just the right spot :) Gotta go find my spot on the couch!

Saucy

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Progressing towards the weekend here, and feeling glum about how dark it is when I get home from work-came home at 4:30 today and though it was still light one can see the downward spiral. Im going to try to come home at 3 on Friday. We are expecting rain this weekend and the previous storm along with the warm temps have prompted the weeds into a frenzy of activity. I figure if I come home at 3 I can weed for a good 2 hours. Rain over the weekend will render the buggers too hard to pick. We develop mud quickly .

bug, my house at large is not too very pit-like at the moment, but I need to clean 2 bathrooms which I managed to put off last weekend. There is of course no reason why I cant clean a bathroom after work, but that just seems wrong somehow. I have to start mentally preparing myself for the house to be clean at all times once I put it on the market. I might have to buy some supplemental cleaning services.

Hypochondriacs at work ! I ve worked with 2 who I thought were pretty hypo. There was one lady that would latch on to any conversation co-workers would have concerning their health issues. Name any Dr. in town, shed seen him/her, name any drug, shed taken it, any ailment shed had it. Oddly she was a very dependable worker, rarely calling in sick, but visited Drs frequently for what I thought were very minor ailments. What the point of going to the Dr if you have a cold ?? I never saw anyone who carried around so many pills, inhalers, etc.
    There will be some photos of The Salon , right Chelone ? Both interior and exterior shots?

Interesting recipe Martie- one could be very conservative with the syrup if need be. Im looking for one that uses chile- preferably chipotle- I can see making one up. I have a butternut right now so I will try yours this weekend. DS keeps unsweetened m. syrup in the house because he makes his own homemade Chai Tea and that is what he uses to sweeten it; he buys it at an upscale market in town.

Saucy, bet the kidsters interest in the new laundry equipment wears off before yours does!

So where is Deanne ???

Time to rustle up some dinner and retire to the reading room..Note: V I always enjoy most of Alice Hoffmans books too.
    Right now I am reading a murder mystery Like to rotate mysteries with literature.

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

I think Im on the upswing of the cold and Ive been extremely busy at work. We are trying to implement a whole new set of lengthy privacy rules mandated by the FCC to go into effective 12-8. One of the requirements is that our customers will need to show a state or federally issued ID when they come in to ask questions about their account. People in this rural area are just not going to understand this. If a customers privacy has been breached we are supposed to report it to the FBI. Hmmm, could be interesting days ahead. Ive also been busy in the evenings catching up on farm accounting so that a pre-tax appointment can take place. Why do I put these things off?

Saucy, I remember getting our first dishwasher as a kid and we fought over who got to load itfor the first 2 days only.

Speaking of "orange" vegetables I grew the yummiest carrots this year. I dont recall the exact name, but something like short and sweet. I like things sweet, pass the maple syrup.

I have 2 south facing bedrooms upstairs, one is a guestroom and the other the gkids toy room. I have card tables setup in front of the windows filled with plants. I keep telling DH that we need to install bigger windows. We keep the vents closed so it is relatively cool.

bug, congratulations to Gramma Lynn. What a handsome sweater for a handsome little guy.

Kathy, the vineyard pictures are gorgeous.

I saw an interesting fridge at Sears while we were wandering one day. It appeared to be black and quite shiny but claimed not to show fingerprints. I of course tried it out. I think they were right.

Tomorrow night is the pinewood derby.

Thats all I have for now

Michelle

• chelone
    16 years ago

Rainy and mild today, which buys me another chance to save some "germamiums". AFTER I go to the electric supply place and pay for the flourescents and take home as many of them as can be sqeezed into my car. Then I have to write a check for the electrician... think I should make HIM wait 2 mos.? (diabolical laughter).

I made the appointment to have my car serviced, winterized, and inspected. Time to get on the stick and think about the appropriate amount for a Christmas gift certificate for him. A girl's best friend is a reliable automobile mechanic.

Saucy, you crack me up, too. LOL. Pushing Daiseys is on too late for me. Pass the Geritol.

I'm rather liking the sound of the garlic and hot pepper flakes. And Kathy, just last night we mentioned Chipotle and while we've both had it in combination with other things neither of us could really describe the taste. They're peppers, aren't they?

Good to hear Michelle's cold is leaving in time to get to work, lol. I don't envy you the accounting and pre tax time stuff. My boss tends to get crabby when it's time to do quarterly stuff. My father was the sort that did a little bit every week, I'm more like that, too. I'd rather eat -hit a little at a time than face an entire bowl of it. :)

OK, gotta watch the weather, rustle up some grub and get "motivatin'". My best wishes for a stellar day, you guys.

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Good morning

A conference for me today, including a reception where I am giving a speech - yikes! I'm dithering over what to wear right now.

GB - the heart attack info was so important and well written. I'm going to make a copy to keep and share. Also please pass on my congratulations to Lynn:0)

Kathy - I have a recipe for roasted butternut squash with chile, garlic and goat cheese that we love. I'll hunt it out.

A big wave to everyone - I miss chatting when time is short but hope to be back soon.

Mary

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I fear our friend Deanne is having trials with her ailing friend in addition to family obligations, work, exercise, the gardens both indoors and out, and all the rest. I think time for Idylls and kitties and entertaining are only a dream for her right now. Hope I'm wrong though and that there is cheer mixed in there somewhere!

I've painted a wall and two doors in the family room and I hope to finish that business today. Two walls remaining. I also wish I could finish more of the garden clean-up outdoors before rain begins this afternoon, but that is unlikely. The storm windows on the old part of the house need installing and that is a tricky affair since the painters worked on them.

Bought a turkey for US Thanksgiving as DS and his new lady arrive here on the 22nd. I haven't begun to think about the rest of the menu, especially since I'm trying NOT to think about food these days. At least I'm told she has no dietary restrictions. What a change from 10 years ago when the kids all had friends who were vegan or allergic or picky!

The mere thought of taxes and privacy policies sends me into a state. Still no word on mother's 2004 tax business. Grrr. I'm sure I'll hear from them quibbling about the 2 months of 2005 in due time! Meanwhile the hugely wealthy get away with all sorts of tax dodges.

The Ode to Sloth is my idea of a really fine life! (Along with a Bouvier puppy!)I did hear back from the new Bouvier kennel and it looks like a long wait, but possible!

Need to get a new travel bag with wheels. Why are they so expensive? I had an old one that cost $17 but now they are over $100 everywhere I look. Sigh.

OK, I'm dawdling here. Off to work!
    'bug

• just_t
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good morning!

Weather forecast is calling for at least 48 hours of rain so they are warning there might be issues in flood prone areas. I feel for those who have to deal with flooding basements or ponds appearing around their homes. Our backyard gets quite 'squishy' during heavy rain times, but being up on a hill does have perks---until it snows or gets icy.

Today I don't have babysitting duties but do have an appointment to take family photos for one of our children. They think mom will be able to take a good enough photograph that they'll be able to use for their Christmas cards. Gulp! I'll take along my card reader so that we can just pop the camera's card into it and they can preview the pictures on their computer until we can get a photo they are happy with----or the kids have a melt down and the photo session is ended. I'm figuring the kids may melt before I can master a 'good' photo. ;o) I've got the tripod in the car along with the 'twin lights on a tripod stand' that DH usually has up in his shop. I figured that may help with extra lighting. Other child wants their family picture taken in the snow.......excuse me? I don't do snow :o) and besides, the snow level around here is still quite high......finding snow would mean quite a long drive...and momma drives a compact car....snow---compact car---long drive.......snow = cold.....not happening. ;o) I thought about loaning them my camera (gulp) and tripod (no gulp with that piece of equipment, but won't do them much good without the gulping part).....but I think they want a person behind the camera, too. Maybe snow will come closer (ugh).

I watched the twins on Tuesday, left the room to use the facilities, closing the baby gate behind me, knowing that the room was 'baby-proofed'. I came back into the room as quick as possible (I ain't no fool) to find one twin in the recliner and the other one sitting on the top of the end table next to the recliner. WOW!!!! Okay, so I guess they travel with me to the facilities from now on. In the middle of the end table........just sitting there. Amazing how fast they can move and what they can do now. ;o) Thankfully no injuries to report and, yes, I did tell their parents about their ability to climb. LOL

So....my coffee cup is empty (not a good thing) and I'm going to go fill it....

Mary, hope your talk goes well.

Cynthia, I did reorder that outfit from Coldwater Creek (in a smaller size even!) and it fits nicely. I canceled the order when I was notified that the backorder status was extended, but kept thinking about how much I liked it and kicking myself that I had canceled the order. I then saw that they were having a 50% off sale, called them up and asked about the outfit since I couldn't find it online. They said it wasn't part of the 50% sale, but they looked up my backorder and re-ordered it for me at the original discounted price (40% off). I thought that was very nice of them and am glad that I did re-order it. Thanks for sharing it with us/me. Did you get it? (sorry for the long, drawn out story, LOL).

Hope everyone has a good day. I miss seeing Deanne's morning posts, hope all is well there.

T.

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Woody, that oak is impressive indeed, as is your window! What a great reading spot.

The squash variations all sound great. I had to google the fisher, which had a nice, toothy picture, belongs to the Mustelidae family. You say they can carry off cats and small dogs? Mercy.

GB, that story rattled me, which is good. I can be a bit too complacent about health issues.

Interesting to hear the traits of the other grey kitties because they sound like ringers for mine! My grey is truly the standout among the four cats, personality-wise, a real pistol.

I've missed your posts, Michelle, and hope sickness and work release you back to the idylls soon...

I see the word is "solarium," and it sounds like there's no cheap way to do it.

Warning: The following idyll chatter involves "adult"/crude situations. Yesterday's sexual harassment matter had me as close to laughter as I've ever been. Had to bite my lower lip hard. I'm usually very composed but possibly just a bit overtired these days. The word in evidence that got me was slang I'd never heard to describe a state of extreme excitability; add "ize" to a word that rhymes with "loaner." To hear such silliness repeated in a somber setting, sometimes the juxtaposition is too much to bear. I'm not sure how widespread the usage is. My DH had never heard it used (so he says...)

I see a bit of daylight so will head into the garden before work. I'm very jealous of the rain reports. I heard on NPR there's a small island off of India that's selling itself as a rainy tourist destination during monsoon season. Sign me up.

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Still a little too dark outside for photography, but since the new Horticulture's piece on agaves only shows the overhead view of Agave bracteosa, it's really more interesting to see its full octopus form.

{{gwi:187026}}

• saucydog
    16 years ago

I won't link it, but if curious you can look it up at urbandictionary.com.....Denise, I couldn't have contained myself. You are a TRUE professional :)

I spent as much time there as I did donating rice :)

Wendy, I have a feeling that your DH could probably write a few entries, LOL!

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

I really can't believe it, but I got hit with an intestinal bug during the night and I'm spending a lot of time in the smallest room in the house.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I finished painting (yeah!) but am waiting for DH to help re-install pictures on the walls, put the piano back, the bookcase too, etc. I'm hoping he's willing to put is huge ugly antique guitar amplifier in the trunk of his car to be either repaired or sold. It's amazing what dirt collects behind and under furniture when you wait ten years to look....YUCK!
    I guess it's a sign that I did a good job...doesn't look much different.
    'bug

• chelone
    16 years ago

Hey Michelle, maybe it's time to purchase a laptop. We could move into a whole new realm... . Truly, though, I'm sorry to hear of your new woes... bummer! (ararar). Having suffered what I now realize was some sort of salmonella-like thing some years ago I have great sympathy. "Some people think it's funny but it's really brown and runny". (see the next paragraph)

Denise, I would have had to struggle to suppress the laughter, too. Sounds rather like a Monty Python skit. lol. I am definitely a "semi-adult", completely unfit for parenthood, because I laugh at terribly inappropriate stuff (like old ladies slipping on banana peels). :)

Roughly 1/2 the lights fixtures are packed into my car. I have to make another trip tomorrow, with the helpmeet's "full warhog" (full size station wagon complete with "wallpaper"; fake woodgrain sides). The driver's szeat is like a dentist's chair, fully adjustable... I love driving that car!

I need to think about ordering the turkey, too, 'bug. Hard to believe that by this time next week we'll have succumbed to turkey poisoning and the L tryptophan will be helping us buzz off to dreamland. Time flies, huh?

Yes, Denise, Fishers are truly elegant creatures. They're fast, quiet, and can prove quite lethal to smaller, less aware animals. It took me a minute to figure out what I'd seen the first time I saw one... too long and low to be a silver fox; it almost slithered down the crusted snow on the hill. When it paused to look around it sort of "sat up", supporting itself on it's hind end, the way a cat will when it wants to survey something from a higher vantage and has nothing to climb. It was beautiful; sleek, dark brown, and moved like oil over the snow. Breathtaking! and I felt very priviledged to have seen it.

It is absolutely pouring out now. The gutters on the garage seem to be doing their job... the water is simply gushing out the downspouts! can't wait to fixe the pieced ones on the house next spring.

Co-worker showed up today with a "hangdog" face and sighed through a really easy job before leaving at noon. Why did she bother to come in, at all. She wanted to tell me all about it, but I wasn't very interested... sounds just like your worker, Kathy! I don't have the time of the money to fall prey to so many ailments. ;)

A full sink of dishes awaits me.

GET THIS! some of you may remember the two funky, late '60s-early '70s chairs I found kerbside a couple of years ago. Well... there is a very posh antique store in town that had matching pieces out front all summer long. They wanted $695 for a loveseat and two chairs. Last weekend I walked in and offered $350 CASH. I just got a call that the offer was accepted! I now have 4 chairs and the loveseat. I am STOKED! this is a real departure for me, as I'm usually one for the very traditional stuff. But I simply couldn't pass this one up.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Chlone, DH is whining about his hernia problems once again. I finally asked him to get it fixed and talk to the doc- NOT ME- about it. My Dad was the "malade imaginaire" and I just have no patience for that stuff anymore. DH used to accompany me to the doctor and ask multitudes of questions. Drove them & ME CRAZY!

This garage/studio project of yours is like a soap opera! A little enticement to read about each day. Can't wait for the photos!

Michelle, be well!

• chelone
    16 years ago

Every single time I reference the garage I think of the state of the photographs lodged somewhere in this machine. And how lax I've been about doing what really must be done to clean up the backlog. There's so much to do and so much time required I just can't seem to get it in gear to even BEGIN.

:(

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Baby Amanda lives in Seattle with her Mom.

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Bueno, bueno all, countdown to Friday and a full two day weekend in the wingsI had to drive to Healdsburg today, which is in Sonoma County-a very scenic drive through the north part of Napa Valley, through Knights Valley and Alexander Valley, all beautiful back roads. Most of the tourists have bailed so the roads are pretty deserted. A pic from today will be posted below

Michelle , you are certainly having a bad patch health wise ! Hope you get to feeling better prontoI expect Kenzie is banished for the duration . Maybe you could get a dvd of a really syrup-y chick-flick or a romantic classic ala Wuthering Heights or Casablanca and just vegetate.

Chelone, I think the curbside pick-up was before my time, and therefore I require a better description of the style, color, materials etc of this ensemble you have aquired. Metal? Wood? Circa what era ? Maybe some pics ( and we Idylls love to nag you about pics ! ) or at least verbal details-you are up to that I know ! Chipotles = smoked jalapenos. I keep a jar of chipotle chili powder on hand at all times. Smoking your own (pardon the expression) is a bit labor intensive. I like to use chipotle in conjunction with mole sauce.

Love the Agave Denise.

T, your photo appt sounds quite professional! Tripods etc..I can guarantee you no one in my family would ever think about asking me to take pictures for Christmas cards ! And how about those twins and their climbing skills. You might need an assistant pretty soon .

GB, I just love little primates ! So cute. I fully support your efforts to get DH to get rid of the ancient amp. I got rid of two huge speakers and several other components at our latest electronic recycle event here.Still have more to go.

Mary, that squash recipe sounds just like what Ive been looking for I await further info. Hope you wowed them at your speaking engagement.

Okay, Im afraid thats it for me this evening. Im going to read the paper , eat some food, and retire to my murder mystery

{{gwi:187028}}

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Ahh-choo!!! I think I've sneezed more with this cold than I ever have before. I also am refining the art of "snoughing" - that's a cough that morphs into a sneeze. Snoughs hurt...

I've jusr skimmed but I'm very glad that I'm not running to the bathroom also. I hope Michelle is feeling better soon!

We picked up our turkey this evening - a slightly comical rendezvous at the train station parking lot in the next town. Cars pulling up, turkeys being handed round, cash and checks flying as if we were purchasing something much more illicit. I watched one seven or eight year old boy actually stagger under the weight of the 20+ pound bird he was handed. Our 20 pounder is in a cooler on the deck for the night. I'll figure out a more permanent (actually it's pretty temporary) arrangement tomorrow.

Going to run so I can fix another cup of chamomile tea with lots of honey, and then go to la la land!

V.

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

A quick hello, so that I don't let myself wander off into neverland again. I read several things worthy of comments, but am fading into the night. I have been on a forced cleaning kick. It's a bottomless pit. The main area is presentable again and I did windows today then started on the basement area. Lots more to do down there.
    Hoping everybody is ok. Michelle, I hope your attachment to the small room is short lived.

Night all . Norma

• chelone
    16 years ago

I was actually able to find the pictures! my organizational skills just haven't gotten to the litany of pictures of the garage yet. The chairs were kerbside when one of the houses on the road was put on the market some years ago. They caught my eye, although the helpmeet was uncooperative. He promised me we'd pick them up AFTER lunch, if they were still there. He attemped to drive past them, but I rebuked him and they were summarily loaded into the wagon. They were filthy, but I saw potential:
    {{gwi:187030}}
    {{gwi:187032}}
    I scrubbed them up and gave them a couple of coats of Krylon Fushion paint (the arms are injection moulded plastic of some sort) and sanded and painted the metal frams with a Hammered finish Rustoleum and reassembled them with new, stainless bolts and nuts. And made cushions for them:
    {{gwi:187033}}
    {{gwi:187034}}
    {{gwi:187035}}
    My guess is that they are from the late '60s or the early '70s, not generally a period of design that "speaks to me", but for some reason these crazy chairs appealed to me. They're very comfortable and are as heavy as lead. I figure I can always foist them off on my brother if I tire of them. :) So, the entire set will now be comprised of 4 chairs and a loveseat.

'bug, DH definitely needs to address the hernia! And we are awash in large, unsightly amplifiers here, too. It has been fun to watch him move into digital recording, though.

Did anyone catch the little news blip on Free Rice last night?

Funny visual of the handing out of turkeys, V.. Hope the snoughing abates soon. And I hope Michelle perks up soon. Being sick is no fun.

And it will be fun to see T.'s photographic genius displayed here. Jeez, no pressure, huh?

Norma, please come here and help me with my cleaning, OK?

Also want to hear details on Mary's speech. And what she decided to wear; lime green undies for good luck?

Gotta run, the day is going to be a busy one.

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Did someone say agave?
    I must have heard there was a pic.

Life and work are the usual chaotic, frenzied places at present; not enuf time for idylling unfortunately....

just a drive by to say Happy friday to all; hope those under the weather are feeling better soon; it's chilly chilly here; on the road to PA for the weekend; hope there are not yet hordes taking to the road.

The houseguest is going to do t-giving shopping and get some of that underway for preps next week.

I see some pretty fall colors - maybe I'll catch a glimpse of some on the road.

-- Have terrific Friday & weekend.

--Cindy

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Seems my appliances are ailing just like some of the Idylls - woke up to a major global warming of the freezer. It has been declared fixable, though!

My dad called to say he'll be here in 16 hours. That's all I'll say on the subject.

My SCUBA classwork is coming to a close and we are scheduled to do our open dive in Gloucester next weekend. I have to say that I am quite nervous about how I will react to the cold ocean water. A heated pool is one thing....

I'm going to try to get an underwater camera - I'll ask the lobsters to say cheese.

Chelone, I love love love that chair and so glad you scored the matching peices! They're perfect for the salon :)

V. we've had a chest cold go around here, too. Knock on wood, it has only touched us lightly. Hope you feel better soon. I have never seen a fresh turkey before he's been roasted.

Michelle, I hope you feel better, too.

Pretty shots of Sonoma - DH even noticed :)

Somehow I missed Woody's post the first time around. I love your window - I chose a very similar model to keep the garage out of view of the new room.

I've gotta get to the gym. Kids are home today for teacher in service. November seems like it has more out of school days than not some years :)

Saucy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

TGIF!

Good morning! Brrr is back here. I've been dragging my feet this year on tender plant protection and oscillating back and forth about how much, if anything I want to care for over the winter. For now, a whole pile of plants are cooling their respective heels in the garage. Decision time is looming large though. Time to poop or get off the pot, so to speak.

Although I don't have much to share, I've been enjoying the chatter, pictures and links. Every so often I get sidetracked donating rice and have to remind myself to refocus on budgets...lol.

Speaking of which...

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

So nice to hear from Sue. Wish we heard more! (hint!)

This morning DH found that Clover, our big old rabbit, died overnight. He's out digging a hole as I type here. Poor Cricket, her brother, will be solo over the winter. Poor DH too. Not a job he enjoys. Just 10 minutes earlier he asked me to get more timothy to feed them and we pondered how much longer they'd be with us. PS: We buried Clover with a carrot.

I'm off to buy cat food etc, before the promised 4 centimeters of snow fall. Think I'll buy sweet potatoes, cranberries etc to prepare for Thursday's feast.

I also need to buy socks. Does anyone have the same problem? They seem to last about 10 minutes, just like pantyhose used to. (which I no longer buy!)

DSIL is preparing for paternity leave in January and getting mighty excited about various house projects: wood floors instead of carpeting upstairs, wainscoting in the family room instead of pink and blue wallpaper, real tiles instead of linoleum in the kitchen and hallway, even his Mom's livingroom floors to be done with the help of several of his brothers. I'm sure he'll think of more! Meanwhile Sarah is looking forward to work beginning even though she'll likely miss Reed's first word, first steps etc...But she told me she won't mind having her DH deal with child proofing the home. ;-)

OK, onward with my day. May yours be a fine one!
    'bug

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Warning, playing the Free Rice game is HIGHLY addictive. Its getting to that level 50 and staying there, I can get there but I cant seem to stay there beyond three words or so.. I must have donated 50,000 grains of rice by now. ROTFLOL I must love a challenge it seems.

So, Ive been in my yearly shorter-day slumps and grumpies and have spared you my blue moods. On top of that I was scheduled for the big C (colonoscopy).today. Yukko! I had panic attacks about it and nightmares for weeks. So while Michelle was spending a lot of time in the smallest room of the house I just moved in there for the day yesterday. As everyone told me the prep is the worst part and that is a true story. I dont do well going two days without food! Talk about freezing cold. My hands were like a couple of ice cubes all day yesterday and today until I got something to eat. Anyway, I got a clean bill of health and I dont have to go back for ten years. This is a good thing.

I still have three pots left to decant and will finish with them tomorrow. Cant wait until that chore is done. Then I have just a very few lily bulbs to plant and Im pretty much done for the season. Next week Ill be getting ready for 21 for Thanksgiving dinner so Ill be pretty busy then Ive got some painting to get done so things will be busy as usual. Doug will be working from home next week so thats a very good thing! Weve got to make an extra leaf for the antique oak table to accommodate the crowd and I cant do that. Im happy that wont be a last minute job. (Unless, of course, Doug procrastinates which is not unheard of, LOL)

Wednesday Wendy and I met for lunch and had a terrific visit. It was a nice halfway spot for both of us in Chelmsford MA so were planning on doing that on a regular basis. She kindly took a flat of coleus cuttings off my hands so I have a bit more room under the lights upstairs. Im still going to have to weed out a few more as they grow. We had a good laugh over my taking another fifty or so fuchsia cuttings when I already have 61 plants in dormancy. Like I need more???? Its a good thing I have no problems tossing away all that plant material I cut off the brugmansias.

OK Ive got to get off this computer and get some dinner on the table. For some reason Im really hungry tonight. Ill try to get back later or tomorrow and chat a bit more.

Have a great Friday evening all
    Deanne

• chelone
    16 years ago

I'm sorry about Clover, 'bug. How old was she? (I have no idea how long rabbits live). I like that a carrot accompanied Clover to the afterlife. :)

Socks. I am a fan of 100% wool, or thereabouts. They're warm, they LAST, and if your feet sweat the warmth of your feet will dry them out from the part nearest your skin to the part that hits the shoe. Cotton gets damp and STAYS damp. There won't be any more pair of Argyles from Mum, made from leftover wool, with nylon reinforced toes and heels... :(

I hope Cindy is able to savor some late autumn color on her drive to PA.. Nice to have some help with T-day prep.. I have to order my turkey! Hope your Dad is well.

Brr is back here, too, Sue! I don't think I'll be overwintering any geraniums this year. Somehow, I don't really care. I tip my hat to you for all your efforts in the "tender ministrations".

I'll pick up the additional pieces tomorrow, paid for them today. I had a nice chat with the gal in the shop (a decorator/designer) and plan to use this purchase and my treatment of the pieces as a stepping stone to something more creative than awning repairs.

Hope all is well with others; Saucy, the SCUBA dive is going to "wicked dahk down theah" (Finding Nemo). I'm in awe, always wanted to learn to "dive". Maybe next year!

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Happy Friday to one and all. I have a full weekend of chores planned and tonight I am attempting to be in a slacker mode. I did pull some weeds when I got home from work.
    I had my roof inspection this week , and next week will be the scheduling of contractors to come do a viewing and quote me on all the work that needs doing here. My garden tasks this weekend will be the usual clean-up type stuff. We have had really mild weather and things are hanging in I still have coleus growing outside, though looking a bit unhappy as night get into the 40s. My begonias are all thriving too. I may just go ahead and move them in this weekend.

Chelone, very cool looking chairs and wonderful work on the cushions. Sewing upholstery is something that I find quite mystifying.

Deanne, glad to hear from you at last ! Sounds to me like you need a weekend in the tropics to decompress and drink pina coladas. Guess you better do that after you have the 21 dinner guests, lol

Ah shucks bug, sorry about your bunny. That is one pet that Ive never had, but have enjoyed petting and coo-ing over friends and neighbors .
    My particular problem with socks is the washer/dryer black hole issue. I have 2 pair of wool socks from LL Bean for those really cold days and nights .

Ok , thats it for me, my artichoke is done and Im going to ingest it along with a glass of pinot., and then its off to the reading room with the murder mystery

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Clover was about 8 years old. I really have no idea how long rabbits are supposed to live Chelone, but she was a beauty!

So today was the day DD's dog Indy got the screws out of her leg after several years with them following an accident with a tree that got in her way. Her leg healed beautifully, a text book case, but the metal was very troublesome in the frigid weather out there. So, this was a way to spend $1500 to make her feel better.

Today:
    {{gwi:187036}}

What was removed:
    {{gwi:187038}}

Great to hear from you Deanne! I knew it! You'll be doing the entertaining thing for the masse3s once again! What fun - once everything is organized! I'm panicking over the four of us. Hahahaha, but true.

Saucy, the guy who repaired our windows teaches scuba diving and loves winter dives. Nuts, all of you! ;-) I've watched it though in our local quarry and it does intrigue me.

For those who want a record of Reed's first bite, check out the link.

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Fortunately the bug was a one day thing and I was back to work today.

Im struggling to get the basement cleaned up. Im trying to do some light setups and there are plants sitting everywhere looking unhappy.

Hopefully, I will finish the cutting back tomorrow, theres not much left. The more shrubs I put in the less there is to tend in the fall. In the long border I counted 21. Yesterday and today were fabulous days, but tomorrow is supposed to be cooler.

Kenzie had a fabulous birthday party. When we got there she was running around with 3 helium balloons saying "Im so excited about my birthday" and "Im so excited about balloons" She wouldnt have needed any gifts as the balloons stayed in her hand the whole afternoon.

Chelone, fabulous job on the chairs, they appear to be quite comfy.

Kathy, I love artichokes, in fact I thought about it tonight at the store, but the ones they had looked somewhat less than fresh.

bug, the plate and screws remind me of what Rick has in his neck. Sorry to hear about the bunny. I guess Reed doesn't like bananas ;o)

Denise, your job sounds "interesting" LOL

I do have that sock problem, it seems like Im always throwing one away. Since they are almost all white and the same, I just pair it up with another loaner.

Where in the world is Eden?

Our Thanksgiving will be at my parents with a small group. We will have a meal here for 19 on Sunday. I think we will have pork loin as everyone will probably be turkeyed out.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Why it is sooooo very dark at this hour! Can't sleep though.

Michelle, I knew nothing about Rick's neck! I sure didn't detect a thing when I met him.

So a few update shots:
    Indy loves baby:
    {{gwi:187039}}

The brothers enjoy a backyard cookout:
    {{gwi:187040}}

Remembrance Day wake-up! LOL!!!
    Aren't you glad you don't live downstairs!
    {{gwi:187041}}

Back to bed!
    'bug

• chelone
    16 years ago

Here I am, wide awake, a nice cuppa in front of me. I heard something on the radio a week/so ago about circadian rhythms and how people definitely are either a "Lark" or an "Owl". I don't think there's much dout into which category I fall. Being up early is one way I manage to survive the shortest, darkest days of the year. There is just something about watching the sun rise and watching its steady progression south and then north again over the course of the year that fascinates me. I've never had any difficulty getting up while it's still dark, nor do I have trouble going to bed if it's still light.

Deanne, I commend you on "the big C". My father had colon cancer and by the time the symptoms manifested themselves it was too late. His surgery revealed the cancer had already moved to his liver. He lived just about 5 months, but was feeling fine until the last week/so of his life. My doctor recommends age 50 for the first screening; like you, not something I'm eagerly awaiting. :)

'bug, Indy looks considerably more comfortable right about now. ;) . Were the screws transferring the cold, or what? I chuckled at Reed and the banana; it must be fun to watch a child develop a sense of "liking" certain foods. And baby-proofing... now that's some serious responsibility. I can only imagine the shot of adrenalin T. felt when she discovered the twins' new vantage points.

I laughed at the mental image of Kenzie announcing her general state of excitement over her birthday and balloons. One thing you can say about kids and dogs is that they certainly embody "enthusiasm". It's fun to see, huh? Good to know your time in the smallest room in the house was limited and you're back in the swing.

21 dinner guests?! I think there will be 4 or 6 here and since we all share similar levels of social dysfunction it will be a low-key, fun afternoon. I must say, though, it will be a little strange not to have a little old lady presiding over it all. :( But we'll hoist a glass to her and feed a cat/two on the table in her honor.

I'm wondering about Eden, too. Gettin' kind of concerned. Missing the reports on Bellatheball, creative household projects, etc..

Kathy's pictures are so pretty. The colors are great. It's been decidedly green, russet, grey around here the past few days. Yesterday was COLD, with a biting wind. It was nice to have wool socks (buy a lingerie bag for them, 'bug) and return home to start the woodstove. Cats are lured to the stove like moths to a flame.

OK, no one is up but me, so it's time to reload my coffee cup and maybe prepare an egg. Maybe work on organizing those pictures some more?

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Okay, I'm thoroughly impressed that 'bug's DSiL can play a trumpet in horizontal position, though the red face tells it all :-)

I'm hopeful that everything is okay with Eden's family. She'd tell us if something was askew, yes?

Have been drinking up pics of Napa and Sonoma. I've not ever been there, and to see it through the lens of a local is a real treat. Good luck with the contractors, Kathy, and remember that sometimes hiring a GC takes a BUNCH of strain off the job -- let someone else deal with wayward electricians :-) Your housing prices continue to astound.

Kenzie as princess for a day just seems wonderful. That she is past the cardboard box stage and into balloons must certainly be a three-year-old right of passage.

LOL Reed's face. "Solid????? What the heck is solid????? And why do I have to work to get it down my throat????? And does everything other that white liquid taste like this???"

The brrrrrrrr factor is in full force. We had wicked winds yesterday and the winter coats were out in full force. Wool socks, too. I love the ones with the leather soles but can only ever find them for men wihtout spending a small fortune.

Being one who'd rather go up than down, give me parasailing over diving any day. No one can convince me that you can breath out of a jug. LOL You can tell me all about it when you're done, Saucy.

U.S. Thanksgiving prep is in full swing. A small number this year and unfortunately, no international students. We'll seat 12 and at some point others will float in and out -- mostly beforehand since DBiL is making Corn Chowder from scratch (do you know how hard it is to find fresh corn at this time of year?????). As soon as I find the decoration box in the rubble downstairs I'll be personally ready to roll.

Today will be spent putting final touches on paperwork for an IRS audit of Rich's business for two years. Everything balances, fortunately, and I'm wondering why they are bothering with a teeny (in the scheme of things) business when major corporations get away with some awful practices.

Anyone want bittersweet sent to them along with maple syrup??

Hi everyone else.

All best -

Martie

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Morning all,

Well Im feeling pretty much back to normal this morning and am in my favorite chair with a nice cup of French Roast. The winds are pretty blustery outside and the temps are hovering around freezing. Doug and I are going to finish the last buttoning up of the yard and gardens today and start getting all the garaged plants down into the basement. Can you believe that Thanksgiving is next week? It seems I was just enjoying the flowers on the brugs a few days ago.

Martie, my lavender is looking really terrific. I had it in a container with a strobilanthes this summer. I separated it out of the pot, pruned it and repotted it. It looked a bit bedraggled for a week or so but its sending out some lovely new growth and is a happy camper under the lights again. I saved and dried the pieces I pruned off and am going to add it to some potpourri. ~~ I cant believe Rick is being audited. Jeesh!

Saucy, you go girl!!!! Scuba diving! Fantastic. Im looking forward to hearing about your dive in the cold dark Atlantic. ~~ Maybe you can join Wendy and I for lunch sometime? How far are you from Chelmsford?

Chelone, I saw Deb and Peter last night and gave them your greetings. She was touched that youd asked about her dad. Hes going downhill fast now and is getting quite frail. He isnt able to get over for Thanksgiving this year so shes reserved the private dining room at the home where hes staying and will bring a home cooked dinner there for him on Sunday. ~~ Thats so sad about your dad. From what I understand its a very treatable cancer if caught early. ~~ Love those chairs! What a great job you did restoring them.

Bug, great photos. That Reid is growing at light speed. ~~ So sorry about your bunny.

Michelle, glad youre better. ~~ RE light set up. Do you have room for one of those steel shelving units they sell at Sams? Doug made my light units with those and fixtures from HD. It was much cheaper than buying a ready made light unit. I just ordered the full spectrum light bulbs from Charleys Greenhouse. Another option is to get the 55 watt fluorescent bulb that has the output of a 200 watt incandescent and mount it in a clamp lamp. I use those for the tall plants that dont fit under the shelf fixtures. I should post a pic of my set up in the basement. ~~ LOl about the missing socks. Isnt that the truth. Where on earth do they go?

Kathy, funny you should mention the tropics and pina coladas! My girlfriends and I are discussing taking just such a trip. ~~ BTW have you ever had a Pinot Grigio by Mezzacrona? Very inexpensive and a nice, very light, refreshing fruity wine. WE are going to have it with Thanksgiving dinner along with the champagne this year. ~~ Thanks for the pics from Napa! Beautiful this time of year. I love Healdsburg. Ive been to that area several times with my friends from Willits.

Sue do you still have that fuchsia we talked about? If you arent going to save it Id be happy to take it off your hands. Thats a beauty.

Cindy, thanks for checking in. You sound like you could use a vacation in the tropics too.

V. hope you are all done with your snoughing and are feeling better by now.

OK time to get out of my easy chair and do something productive with this day. Have a great day everyone.
    Deanne

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Good afternoon to you all! I'm in for a quick lunch break from garden and leaf cleanup. Good grief do we get alot of leaves here! The downside is that quite a few of them are still clinging to the trees which equates to more leaf cleanup weekends to come. Yuck!

Somehow I bruised one of my ribs and actually think it may be cracked. The pain has caused me to give up on Pilates fr the time being and no upper body weight lifting. I can't take a deep breath and raking today is agony. Have any of you ever had this? I went on line and read that there really isn't much that can be done about it except rest and I'm not too good at that...lol. Cripes I'm beginning to feel like a walking health disaster lately.

Marie, I love your family shots. Such a happy, fun bunch!

Deanne I still have the fuchsia although it's looking a bit tired. I'll cut it back, repot and bring it to you on Thursday.

OK, my lunch is ready.

Later,

Sue

• chelone
    16 years ago

Busy mornin' here on the compound. Dishes are done, along with 2 loads of laundry. I've picked up the patio set and put in the storage locker. I've also picked up the remaining 14 lights for the Salon. And ordered the turkey for the chowfest next Thursday.

I discovered 2 leaks in the boiler room, however. One seems to be associated with the water heater. The other is more ominous... appears to be a breach in the soldering of a joint in the copper tubing that feeds the forced hot water heating system. I alerted the appropriate parties and they will be here a bit later today. They are wonderful people, always "on call" and on time unless someone else's emergency takes precedence, which is only fair. I suspect the repair of the latter leak is going to involve draining the entire heating system... not that big a deal for people with a woodstove, but this is not exactly the time of year you want to have to do it.

Our "grandfather" clock has been out of commission since just before the Idyllunion. I took the bull by the horns and called the local clock expert (does maintenance on many of the historic clocks around the state) and scheduled a "check up". I've never known how to set the chimes and in the nearly 17 years it's been in the corner it's never been cleaned/oiled. I figured it was time to do it. It's done! and time permitting, it will be delivered and set up again next week or the following one. I'm SO excited. Dr. Clock said it was in need of some major TLC. There were some mechanical issues and he agreed when I said I didn't think it had ever been cleaned, etc. (it's gotta be nearly 80 yrs. old, the helpmeet's grandfather made it, and made one for each of his children). It will chime down to the quarter hour. Next on the docket is the lovely little marble mantel clock from my father's family, and then the "banjo" with the reverse painting from Mum's family... . We have a lot of clocks that don't dispay digitally or have a battery provision. :) We also have a nice selection of kerosene/oil lamps from our families. My luddite tendancies are honestly "come by", methinks.

Where IS everyone?

• chelone
    16 years ago

Sue, some years ago I wiped out on a patch of ice while out with the last crop of dogs (see why I hate them?). I went down HARD and was pretty sore. The next morning I couldn't sit up in bed. I had to gently roll out and gingerly bring myself upright.

It was awful, hard to get comfortable and then harder to shift postition. Sneezing or laughing was downright painful.

My guess? I think you probably broke it; did you know you can actually fracture a rib in a coughing fit? (I didn't).
    Nothing you can do for it except TAKE IT EASY. I was "down" for about 4-5 weeks. It gets easier, but go easy on yourself.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

Sue - that sounds painful! Take it easy with the leaf raking.

gb - nice family pictures and very funny Reed video.

Saudy - brrr! I hope your dive goes well. The window was supposed to be a windowseat but is too high. It's perfect for plants. I had the sill tiled to prevent damage from water.

Kathy - Napa looks very pretty in fall colors. I wonder if Niagara looks the same - we've not been down in the fall.

Our oak is a red oak - a Northern Red Oak I think but I'm not 100% sure. The leaves don't quite match up to the pictures in books but I gather the leaves are quite variable. It's the acorns that are supposed to be definitive for id. They don't start producing acorns until age 20 or so. Ours started producing acorns a couple of years ago but, so far, the squirrels haven't left any intact ones for me to use to verify id!

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Ahhhh. The paperwork is done, it could be that the IRS actually owes US money if my calculations are correct. Rich is off getting new drum heads and I feel like I can breathe.

Thus, I am luxuriating with a huge cuppa and freshly made crumpet. Life is good.

I'm not proud that no plants made it inside this year except for a few ordinary tropicals. My containers were so pitiful that I didn't want to extend the abuse of those poor plants and will just start over next year. Seems weird .... Yes, there is a Rosemary because there's always a Rosemary.

Glad that you like the lav, Deanne!! There are so many varieties with such different foliage and fragrances. They may actually do really well in your new garden area as they don't need much soil. Let me know if you'd like some cuttings next spring to give it a try.

Sue - Ouch, ouch, double ouch. Never broke a rib but needed to deal with Ky when he did playing soccer. Only because I really like you will I lecture and tell you to Stop Raking and Start Relaxing. Hey, it's worth a try!

So sorry for your plumbing woes, Chelone, but really happy that you have someone coming out pronto. Have you started your Winter window boxes, yet? The traditional ripe Pineapple will be placed outside tomorrow.

Heard from Kyle and how would you like to spend Spring with these courses?

Econ 435: Economic Development
    Econ 420: Urban Economics
    Econ 455: Public Finance
    Hist 416: Vietnam Wars, Home and Abroad
    Mus 109: Fundamentals of Music
    CS 113: Introduction to Computers

Better him than me, but I'm proud.

'bug: Don't get frantic about the four for dinner. If he's bringing her home, isn't the onus on her to be the perfect guest????? You might just like her?????

Denise: No luck whatsoever with your Salvia. Lots of "if she finds it let me know where" kinds of responses. LOL about verbage and good for you to remain composed. I'm sure I would've lost it.

Woody: Rose seeds have been passed along ... the beat goes on. We're starting to think about edging for the borders near the house, and when Rich mentioned brick by brick I showed him your's and other's pics. Though he loves the look, he's not ready to have me doing just one project for the year :-)

Hope your PA trip is great, Cindy!!

A long, hot bath is calling before Rich arrives home, so everyone have a great Saturday!

Martie

• chelone
    16 years ago

I'd be interested in Public Finance, Viet Nam, and Fund. of Music. I found economics difficult when I took the 2/3 courses required of me; but it was fascinating. That was before David Stockman (?) and the whole "supply side" thing... . As one who never "bounced" a check before marriage I'm obviously from the "old school". ;) I think my favorite lyric is from "The Dude", on a Quincy Jones album... "... never write a check that your body can't cash.".

No movement (or hint of it) with respect to yuletide decorations. I am NOT part of "the day after" crowd! I tend to wait until 2-2 1/2 wks. before... . I like the breather between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Hey, I have several "wind up" clocks, and numerous kerosene lamps... I CANCELLED cable TV! sorry, this girlscout doesn't fall into line with what's broadcast or broadly proclaimed on the the boulevards of too many localities!

Heating/hot water fix should be accomplished on Monday... barring any more pressing emergencies. And I've just thought that maybe a routine visit from our esteemed techincians might be a most worthy charity... also a good tip for a customer who will struggle to fill the tank. I am so worried about the voiceless people who will struggle to stay warm this winter.

I have a new "do" (sort of). My haircut is moving in a decidedly asymmetric direction. I'll have to train myself to brush it in a counterclockwise direction from my part. I really like it, but the new "swirl" is not yet automatic. I'm fearless when it comes to haircuts. I figure, "-uck it, if it really sucks it will grow out and I'll get over it". The savvy woman who cuts my hair (and did Mum's) loves to do "precision" cuts. She just attended at seminar/workshop on the sort of cut I like and couldn't wait to see me. I told her to "go for it". If it sucks it'll grow out! I'm OK with it today... I was able to tame "bed head" with nt too much work. Of all things, any cut I recieve MUST be "fuss-free"; if I can't "style" it with wet hair or wet fingers... it won't work for me. I refuse to "-uck with my hair". "Homey don't play that!".

Where's Marian? have you gone the way of the giNko leaves? or was that GinGko, or GinkGo... mercy! I can't remember.

:)

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Feeling almost normal today. Which is a very good thing because there are a lot of tasks to be tackled. We're only having nine for Thanksgiving, but then we will have another semi-large meal Saturday evening when DS is home, and DH has decided he wants to put our tree up on Saturday as well.

Socks - I don't have too many issues with singles, but I do dislike socks that don't last or that creep into your shoes. I just bought some bamboo socks from Target. On first wearing they were comfy and stayed put. We'll see what happens after a washing.

I too am a bit concerned about Eden, and Honey also. We haven't heard from Honey in ages and I know things are quite tough in her neck of the woods. I hope all is well with both of them.

V.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

Martie - don't rule out bricks because of my pace of work! Keep in mind that I'm a gimpy gardener... Think of speedy brick-laying Michelle instead. That would undoubtedly be closer to your speed :-)

I need to go harvest rose hips tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder...

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

LOL, Chelone...The Ginkgo leaves have all bit the dust, but not I.
    I am just in the coasting mode.....

BTW, my new perm is a Richard Simmon's look ....:-(
    Thank goodness my hair grows rapidly!