Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Idyll #340 Gobbleing Our Way to Turkey Day

dodgerdudette
16 years ago

Time to strap on them feed-bags and chow down ! Pass the wine , please...

Comments (103)

• gardenbug
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Cranberry/orange sauce done, bread cubed for stuffing, apple/sweet potato/carrot/pecan casserole ready to cook, bird thawed, broccoli ready for stir-frying.

However dinner tonight was minimal but good...onion soup.

The problem now is whether or not the 'kids' can complete the drive from Boston through the ice pellets and snow. Maybe they'll sit at a NY State Thruway rest stop for 8 hours.... Please, NO! DH too must work late at meetings, so dinner will definitely be an evening one. That's what happens in Canada since US Thanksgiving is a working day.

DD gave a character statement for a friend in court today who has a terrible, drawn out case. He is dealing with custody issues with an ex who is best friends with the police force and also is into drugs. That poor child...! That woman has stooped very low to try for full custody. The father is mighty frustrated. He is not permitted in a certain part of town because of various police orders...and so cannot live in his house, visit his friends in their homes, etc. The good news is that although he is defending himself, the judge is being very good to him, explaining each step, and seems quite suspicious of Mom. It has gone on for years and is more than sad. Disgusting on many fronts I'd say.

This is truly comfort food weather. That means soups and stews. So why am I doing the turkey thing?

Babs, such a nice family photo!

I think we should all post food pictures tomorrow! Probably the cats will enjoy a few bits as well?
    Ta-ta!
    'bug

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving, Idyll friends! Today, I am thankful for all the good friends I have found here.

I am also thankful that DD had a safe trip home yesterday. Our weather was dicey, and she decided to stop at Starbucks before hitting the road. At a stop sign, a car pulled up next to her and then through the stop sign - right into the path of a truck! There was a man, a woman and a child in the car, and the man was on the side hit by the truck. He was injured and trapped in the car. Needless to say, DD was quite shaken up by the experience. (I should add that her car was NOT involved in the accident at all.) Despite the delays, she made it home before the snow fell.

Yes, we have about an inch on the ground right now. Actually looks very pretty outside this morning.

DH already has started a crackling fire in the fireplace. I need to get my pumpkin pie going soon.

I hope all have a day of peace and joy with family and friends. Enjoy!

V.

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we go.....

Did you know that it is a Thanksgiving day song? For years I associated it with Christmas.....I don't know why.

Happy Thanksgiving! V., such lovely sentiments - I feel the same, very thankful to have found such a fun bunch to share my days with! Idyllunions are the icing on the cake!

A crackling fire and snow on the ground conjures up a picture perfect holiday! You don't even need food with a scene like that!

I am ready to put my very sinful mac'n'cheese in the oven - it's an adult version with greyure, fontina, asiago, and about 5 other cheeses that I can't remember off the top of my head. The 6 cups of cream can't hurt, either :)

What a great shot of Babs and family! Everyone looks healthy and happy.

GB, you certainly are the hostess with the mostest! Onion soup sounds perfect for the weather we're having.

Kathy, we saw surfers at the ocean yesterday and I considered asking them what they were wearing underneath :) They certainly weren't sunbathing!

Whatever you eat, turkey or not, I hope everyone has a happy day!

Saucy

• wendy2
    16 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

We are going to my parent's house for Thanksgiving, as we do every year. We host Christmas here. We had Thanksgiving here the year her kitchen was being re-done, and she actually came over and made the stuffing for me the day before - she said the recipe is all in her head, it was easier to show me.

Hey Babs, good to see you and your family - what a great-looking group!

'bug, great news about the puppy. I'm sure he or she will bring a lot of joy.

Deanne, your winter plant set-up is amazing! I do enjoy having some plant babies to look after in the winter. My family also tends to leave me in peace in the basement, they must think I'm doing laundry or something!

V, so scary about the car accident your DD witnessed. I've come upon some frightening scenes in the highway, but fortunately I've never seen a major accident actually taking place.

Saucy, sounds like you are enjoying your company! My kids wear summer-weight wet suits, and they wear bathing suits underneath. If I were going into the Atlantic Ocean at this time of year, I'd probably be wearing long-johns under! I hope you have a great time diving. Gloucester is actually not too far from here, shall I come up and document the event with my camera?!

I'm thankful that my kids are actually spending some time together last night and today - usually they are going their separate ways. DD tends to do her homework at night, and on most weekends she is with her friends. I'm glad she is taking time (unprompted by her parents) to spend with her little brother.

I can echo V's & Saucy's words, I'm thankful for all of my Idyll friends too! I hope all of you have a wonderful day!

-Wendy

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving to you all

So much to be thankful for here - family, friends, Idylls, a meal to cook and share with those I love and nice bottle of French Champagne we've been saving to make things festive.

GB - if family get stuck on the throughway let me know and they can shelter here. We are only a few miles off I-90 and will have plenty of leftovers.

Babs - how fab to see you all. The boys have grown so but still ahve their great smiles!!

Enjoy your gatherings whether large or small.

Mary

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good Thanksgiving Day to Idyllers near and far. I am enjoying my coffee while the others sleep, DD arrived late-ish last night with dog (cat family members are indignant) and Im fixing to read the paper , having deposited the ads directly in the recycle bin.

2 nights of frost and Martie can be assured that the basil is no more among other things.

Saucy, I just love those adult versions of mac and cheese . I have a 4 cheese version that I have not made in many moons-though it would be a perfect recipe for my dentally challenged state !

Wishing all an enjoyable day, warm thoughts to all

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

The kids arrived around 9am with Sunny the greyhound. What sweethearts they all are. I'll try to get a photo, especially for Cynthia. (Sunny was the victim of a pile-up on the track which broke her back right leg. No one at rescue knew about her until the next day, so the operation was delayed and she favours that leg still. Yvonne has only had her since May. She had another grey for 10 years before that and wasn't sure ANY dog could fit in her life again. Then she met Sunny...)

We've finished the waffles and lingonberry sauce...and while DH is at his voice lesson and work, the others are catching up on sleep. I am mostly in the kitchen and very happy with DS's taste in friends. :) I fear for my diet. Already I've reached into my gift of chocolate covered ginger- one of my big downfalls. DS also brought another puzzle for us to attack.

Along their way, they passed many cars in the ditches near Niagara Falls. DS did mention that it might be fun to meet the Rochester lady who sends him birthday treats. He's saved all the containers he tells me. Is that because he expects refills? Hmmm

We too have a bit of a white covering here today and somehow it feels like Christmas, perhaps because we already celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving in early October. It is a relief too. Somehow it makes things in the garden seem very final- amen! May you all enjoy this special day, whether in your scuba diving mode - or lime green panties.
    'bug

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Cranberry Orange Goop:
    {{gwi:187084}}

Finished cardigan for Skyler's Christmas.
    {{gwi:187086}}

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving from tropical Nashua, NH! Yes, I spent the day celebrating with Deanne and company. All the company has dispersed and we are currently chilling with appropriate beverages before heading off to bed. Mine just happens to be Bailey's over crushed ice.

As you might imagine, the meal left you wanting for nothing. We started with a parade of appetizers that included Doug's famous smoked salmon, marched into a full dinner of turkey, ham and all the fixins, then swarmed on a dessert buffet. After dinner we broke out the straws and proceeded to perform a concert, proportions of which can only be appreciated by say, Chelone, maybe Wendy, of course Mary and Monique...lol.

Needless to say I have no interest in driving the two hours home and there is a bed available here so...

Hope everbody was able to enjoy a full day in the company of family and friends!

Sue

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

So the only question now is if Sue is Idyller enough to drink Deanne's coffee at full strength?

We had a wonderful dinner here. Our turkey was juicy, the butternut squash was scrumptious and the pumpkin pie was worth the effort of making it from a real pumpkin.

I'm another who loves adult M&C and now I may have to whip some up next week. The rest of the weekend's meals are pretty well covered!

Kathy, I'm with you on sending the piles of ads straight to the recycling bin. DD and I will do a little shopping at the local merchants on the Square tomorrow morning and then we will begin the decorating.

Everything is cleaned up and put away - a good feeling!

Bug, I can just picture Skyler in that cardigan - quite handsome!

V.

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Good evening

Delicious food here too - perhaps shouldn't say that as I was the head cook but everything came together the way I hoped. I had lots of help peeling veggies and stirring sauces and I didn't have to touch a single dish after. We enjoyed a very tender turkey, spicy cornbread stuffing, creamed onions, stir-fried brussel sprouts, roasted sweet potatoes with thyme, mashed potatoes, cranberry and orange sauce and lashings of gravy. Everyone took part in a snowy walk in the woods after and on our return somehow managed to find room for my pumpkin cheesecake. I don't think I need to eat again for a week!

We've just finished a lively couple of rounds of the game Scattergories in front of one of our first fires of the season and I'm heading to bed, full and content.

Sue - great you were able to enjoy such a wonderful party at Deanne's. I had fun envisioning the straw chorus LOL!

V - adult M&C sounds definitely X-rated to me.

GB - Skyler's jacket is beautiful! I'm knitting a cardigan for myself in two shades of purple, combining an all wool with chenille. The body is all knitted in one piece and it keeps me wonderfully warm as I'm working on it.

I can never bear the thought of shopping Thanksgiving weekend so we are planning to catch a movie, perhaps go bowling and get our Christmas tree. How blissful - another 3 days of the weekend still to go with company here till Sunday.

Nite all

Mary

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I'm stuffed. Never need to eat again....
    We played Boggle by the fire after dinner and talk.

Here are our young folks:
    DS
    {{gwi:187088}}

Yvonne with Sunny and her toy squirrel which squeeks.
    {{gwi:187091}}

Sunny
    {{gwi:187094}}

Then a walk with Sunny in the snow...avoiding skunks...and now BED. Pumpkin pie for breakfast?
    'bug

• chelone
    16 years ago

Belated Thanksgiving cheer from this quarter, too. I had a rather busy morning yesterday, making stuffing, prepping vegetables, and dressing the turkey. I had a poignant moment in the shower when I realized that I would not ever again have to bathe Mum, style her hair, and help her select a pretty holiday outfit. And I was thankful that I am able to share small, personal things like that with people who understand.

BIL "got a better offer" and I set the table for 4 (Bill,a musician friend of the helpmeet's and his lovely wife, Janice). My brother was going to Mum's house to drain it and winterize it, so you can imagine my surprise and delight when he pulled into the driveway about 1 PM! I added another place setting and the laughs began. He looked at the silverware and remarked he hadn't seen it probably 40 yrs.. He was especially impressed that his monogrammed napkin ring was at his place... I asked if he'd like to take it home, but he replied it was more fun to come and visit it here. ;)

We had a champagne toast to Bill's favorite sister (cancer) and Mum. And to good friends and new traditions. It was a laugh filled afternoon, a perfect way to remember with fondness. Wish I'd had the presence of mind to break out the straws after dinner!

I was up early today (4:45), took the dog out for a wee-wee and my brother asked what time it was. I made coffee and he emerged just as it finished brewing. He had a slice of apple pie and I asked if he'd like some cheese to go with it. I put two slices of a nice cheddar on his plate reciting my father's favorite line: "a piece of pie without some cheese is like a hug without a squeeze.". Big smile; we two must keep those things alive now. He left as the eastern sky was just beginning to brighten.

I have enjoyed the pictures and fun updates. Such handsome families and genuine smiles do the heart good. Would love a holiday update from Eden, Honey, Ei, maybe even Da?

I will be going nowhere near any sort of shopping center today, tomorrow, or the next day! I suffer terribly from RAS (retail aversion syndrome).

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good morning all,

Well, I dont think I need to eat again for a month or so! Im still stuffed! What a terrific day we had yesterday. Good friends, good food, fun times. It doesnt get better than this. Ive got a few photos of the tables before the hordes descended on us and will post them later. I left the camera out to take pictures of the food fest but was too busy to pick it up and take any pics beyond the few I took before the company arrived.

We just said good-by to Sue and she is heading home for a nine AM hair appointment but she declined having a cup of coffee here. LOL V. She decided to stop at the Dunkin Donuts on the way out. LOL

I found a new fantastic use for my wheeled pot mover. I was able to move all my furniture with it! Even the large loveseat was wheeled to its temporary spot in the living room. I dont know why I didnt think of this years ago.

Chelone, Im so pleased your DB was able to join you! It sounds like you had a great day. I love it that you had his monogrammed napkin ring. Thats special.

Bug, a great pic of your DS and friends. ~~ That sweater is marvelous! Im almost ready to start knitting again.. Ive not done any needle work of any kind for more years than I can count.

Mary, we played a game of Blurt after dinner and had a lot of laughs, especially after we broke out the straws. Your dinner sounds like it was divine. I really love cooking up a big turkey there is something so over the top about pulling a 23 pound, juicy, browned, redolent bird out of the oven. The other fun thing about having so many is that we can really expand the menu. Our friends from Pepperell brought a Blood Farm ham and they are just the best ever. This farm has been in Groton, MA for generations and the best butchers around these parts. Doug also smoked a turkey breast. I made a broccoli cheese casserole, bread stuffing, whipped potatoes and gravy, of course. Our guests brought along fresh steamed green beans, sweet potato casserole, mashed buttercup squash, Carrot and turnip mash, creamed petit onions. Sue brought shrimp cocktail for the appetizer table and whoopee pies for dessert, we also had fresh blueberry pie, pecan, apple, pumpkin pies, cookies chocolate cake and a fresh fruit salad. Tonight is left-over night for dinner and well have eight or so extras at the table this evening. Whatever doesnt get eaten this evening will go home with the company.

Hello to Kathy, Wendy and Saucy and all our Idyll friends. You are all on my list of what I give thanks for!
    OK Im still brain dead and have a great deal of picking up to do to start getting the house back in order. I noticed a few cranberry stains on the carpet in the dining room that I have to address before I start moving the furniture back in.

Have a great day all,
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

OK, I want the truth. What did YOU eat for breakfast this morning? Dunkin Donuts for Sue... Me? Turkish cocoa halva that the kids brought. Turkey didn't sound very good to me.

• chelone
    16 years ago

Coffee, a piece of cheese, and a Clementine.

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Coffee, half a grapefruit and a thin slice of pumpkin cheesecake when no one was looking. Don't tell LOL!

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Breakfast today the same as it ever was, bagel, shared with Ein. A couple dried apricots, coffee. It's been a tad busy the past few days but I did check in with the idylls to learn that a lot of cranberry-orange goop was to be served, which I googled then made. I was serving a cranberry/horseradish/wasabi/onion relish but decided it couldn't hurt to have the goop for more traditional tastes. The food at the table was shocking in its abundance. What a blow-out. Glazed pearl onions and ham plus usual turkey fixings. Something new I tried was Nora Ephron's succotash: bacon, cabbage, lima beans, corn. Some adored it, most seemed indifferent. The internet certainly has changed cooking forever. We ended the evening by the outdoor fireplace which the Back Easties found remarkable, leaving behind the 20 deg temps.

Most of the jobs I took right before the holidays have turned into rush jobs, Murphy's law at work, so I'm off the idyll grid for a few more days. Happy holidays to all.

P.S. Kathy, I googled the osage oranges. Really interesting. Inedible fruit whose apparent beneficiary is a now extinct giant sloth. Nothing else seems to eat them. Also called monkey brains, horse apples...

P.S.S., Deanne, your winter setup is exactly as I'd imagine for you. I'd hate to think where all your prodigious energy would go thru winter if you didn't have a houseful of plants to look after, lol. I showed DH the plants sharing spacing with Doug's workshop, and he exclaimed, There's my saw! He used said saw to make benches for the holiday troops, three of them, plus a huge top thingie to lay on top our old wooden parson's table for added size.

The bouviers are magnificent and the knitting exquisite. I googled the bouviers as well (you guys keep me busy), and they're the Dog of Flanders! A lot of what was written reminds me of our newfs and now the corker, that a working dog needs to have tasks or will assign some for himself. Ein has appointed himself in charge of arrivals and departures, a frenzy of barking and action announcing each one, escorting people to and fro. We were just a wee bit tired of this performance, but now I have new appreciation for the work he's performing, a kind of "urban" herding.

• chelone
    16 years ago

Yep, Denise; that's what "they" do. Explosive barking at the barest hint of invasion... . Increase the ferocity twofold if there actually IS somemone within 48' of the front door. And you guys wonder why I hate dogs? Our resident idiot defended us superbly before settling into his role as DEFENDER of all humanoids under the roof of his den.

I know you understand. :)

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Hi, Chelone. Amidst all the excitement, the corker happened to notice that his tupperware full of dog treats was left unattended and accessible on the porch, with a little effort the lid popped off, and he gorged himself to the size of a pot-bellied pig. I'm so glad to hear your brother shared your table this year. That's gotta feel pretty special to you both.

I justified squeezing a nursery visit in amongst all the preparations. Cut flwrs are soo expensive, the ones I like anyway, so went to Roger's Gardens in Newport Beach for potted purple hydrangeas, variegated plectranthus and lots of pots of little cabbages. How Mawtha of me, as my kids say. (loved that video, Mary. Have to confess I've never seen Martha in action before. I'm daytime-tv challenged. She was a great if unintentional straight man to Amy. Love that she heard "bog" water instead of "bong" water. Such things just don't exist in Martha's world, I guess.)

My photo:

{{gwi:187096}}

My DS's:

{{gwi:187098}}

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Down payment on Bebe Bouv has been received and accepted!!! Yeah!

Beautiful mantle display there Denise. Glad to hear that someone else was Martha challenged. I too enjoyed the clip with the juxtapositon of personalities.

Be it known that it is possible to eat too much halva.
    Man is it cold!
    'bug

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

Seems that most have had a enjoyable Thanksgiving. Some great photos everyone.

Pumpkin pie for breakfast here. Why waste the calories eating a normal breakfast when I would eat the pie anyway LOL.

None of the women in this family wanted to cook Thanksgiving dinner this year, so Oldest son ordered dinner from a cateror (sp?) and it was ever bit as good as a home cooked one and probably cheaper than we could have bought groceries.
    Everyone ate heartily including Wyatt. It was a bit strange without two GDs who were trying their wings with new familys this year. Jake was a bit subdued because of a run in with his parents over grades. I'm thinkin of Saucy and her Jake not to long ago. What is it with some teenage boys. We encountered the same thing with one of our sons at that age. Anyway I think Jake is savy enough to take care of it. He certainly doesn't lack the brains.
    I tasted strawberry wine for the first time yesterday , yummy! Right now I am stuffed from eating some homemade potato mushroom soup. I don't usually add mushrooms but they need used up. It was pretty good. Why do I feel nappy?

A nice looking bunch of dogs Bug. Including Sunny. Nice looking son and friend too.

The newly weds have a new cat they named Ed and no offense to anyone but since he has done several dumb things they now call him Special Ed. LOL

Hey Babs good to see your smiling faces.

I know I haven't spoke to you all personaly but have read each post with interest and ogled all the pictures.
    Here is the last bit of fall color today. It is pretty darn cold out there. Norma
    Just a tad of fall color left on the Diablo and a spirea with the grasses and evergreens.
    {{gwi:187101}}

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Afternoon all,

Breakfast was oat groats with skim milk and coffee, black. Lunch was pie. LOL Tonight will be ten for dinner for our traditional 'leftover night'.

The turkey carcass is now simmering away in the gigantic soup pot and is making the house smell like the holidays again. Nothing like the scent of homemade soup or bread on a blustery day. I'll ask Doug to throw together a loaf of nine grain bread for the soup tomorrow night.

The last week or so I'd noticed a decline in the amounts of birds at the feeders and couldn't figure out what was up. I figured it out today when a lovely Sharp-shinned Hawk was perched on the Mountain Ash tree. It's just a different kind of bird at the feeders. She was around for quite a while looking for some lunch but eventually gave it up and the little birds are now back. I'm hoping she sticks around for a while so I can get some photos.

Denise, your mantle arrangement is gorgeous. Love the photograph your DS did. The light in it is beautiful. LOL about your DH having the same kind of saw.

Here are a couple pics of the tables before the company arrived yesterday.

This is the big table and we had twelve at this one and ten at the other.
    {{gwi:187103}}

You can see the second table in this photo. I wish I had matching chairs but I don't know of anyone who has 22 matching dining room chairs. As it is I have to borrow ten plates from my friend Deb.
    {{gwi:187106}}

Did anyone else take pictures of their Thanksgiving tables? I'd love to see them if you did.

OK I'm off for a soak in the hot tub and maybe a short power nap before company comes over.

Later
    Deanne

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

Lovely tables Deanne and I don't mind the mismatched chairs at all.

I'm not sure what kind it is, but we have had a small hawk buzzing the pond watching the fish. Norma

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Breakfast (as if we never stopped eating :-) is/was bread pudding made with Pannetone and creme anglais. Then mid-morning snack of Pumpkin Bread with handpicked walnuts from a local tree. Then to not offend my mom who was coming to pick up serving dishes left, leftover maple squash mashed down with a little cream for a wonderful soup. And then, and then .... Today it's gotta stop@!

I'm braving the hordes for a trip to JoAnn's for pinecone topiary base and requisite ribbon. Stopping in to see my DB at the hospital on the way home, and leave a very special "We Are Grateful for You!!!" card for the staff. He swears they brought in a live turkey and let it run around the unit for a bit ........

Snippets of turkey and ham and coffee with egg nog to wash everything down and just-pressed cider courtesy of my neighbor's dad who lives next to an orchard. Out-of-the-garden spinach that I remembered to cover from freeze. Breads and goop and chestnut relish and buttery mashed potatoes. All leftovers residing in my fridge even after guests left with as much food as was eaten.

Table pics coming later, and to think of it I don't think I ever got one of the "complete picture." DBiL arrived early with soup that could've made the meal by itself and I got distracted.

So 12 happy people at table, a long pass-the-phone-around talk with Kyle who is meeting London this weekend after hosting a groaning board, laughter and new traditions being officially adopted and a tired grill. Holidays don't get much better.

Osage oranges have one very special use that probably isn't mentioned on Google: When one is young and has built a fort in the leaves one can easily engage in pseudo turf wars ala snowball fights, Autumn style :-) It was also a favorite childhood pastime to find out how many of the fruits could fit into a bushel basket. The first one to succumb to the smell was the recordkeeper and considered a wimp. That person then needed to haul the bushel to the compost pile and turn it. Funny how we all LOVED that smell. UGH!!!!!!

Not much else going on, and for that I'm grateful. So good to come here and be thankful together.

Special Hi!! to Babs -- good to see you!. By now everyone knows that I think of you all. Think I saw Sue flying down 84 LOL

Martie

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

My usual Trader Joe's cranberry oatmeal this morning and coffee, coffee, coffee...

DH made a lovely turkey wild rice soup for lunch yesterday; DS and his fiance arrived in time to join us for lunch. Last night we all headed to the Square about 6:00 pm for the annual festivities. The Creperie (a few of the Idylls had lunch there two summers ago) has a great patio now with a large fire pit, and they were serving dessert crepes and warm wine and cider. So of course we had to warm up there before we headed to the middle of the Square to listen to carols, mingle with friends and neighbors and of course do the big countdown to the lighting.

Once the Square finished its transformation into a winter fairyland, we headed to SIL's for a feast of homemade deep dish pizza and lots of family visiting.

Today's plan is to cut our tree and to out a huge dent in the leftovers!

V.

ps - I have to confess to not touching the camera once over the last several days...

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Yes Deanne, your tables are lovely and welcoming! I remember that room well! And I am amazed that your lawn remains green. Ours is white.

Last night we all took in a movie in town leaving Sunny at home in the warm fireplace room. She discovered the couch. ;-)

{{gwi:187108}}

She also enjoyed looking at squirrels earlier in the day.
    {{gwi:187109}}
    I hear sounds downstairs indicating that Sunny is about to go for a walk.

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Good morning

Seeing Sunny had me thinking about Katie and wondering how she and Cynthia are doing after the big operation.

Deanne - your tables are gorgeous - I can imagine how much fun everyone had.

Norma - love your pond picture.

I was wondering about Eden, Michelle and T, missing seeing the Idyll grand kids on this holiday.

The good times continue here - walks, more eating, visits by friends, games and decorating our Christmas tree. We have a new variety called Ernest, picked out and cut down in fond memory of 'Ernest Saves Christmas' (David adores all those movies). It is a fine tree and will look regal decorated.

have a great day

Mary

• denisez10
    16 years ago

I'll add one more coffee to V's three. I keep sneaking peeks of Sunny's photos, esp. the one out the window. Martie, I didn't think it'd be possible to feel hunger pangs again, but your post brought on a few. Norma, 'Special Ed,' love it!

Back to staring at the dull work window on this computer. I KNOW the job assignment dispatcher was aware this transcript would be a rush, with trial this Monday when she begged me to cover it, omitting that crucial fact after I expressly asked for the day off. As Deanne says, grrrrr. Gotta call late Wed that another transcript has been moved up to a rush status. What a pileup this weekend is turning into. Grrrr...

Guess I feel a kinship with Sunny staring wistfully out the window. Hope Sunny got to romp outside a bit!

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Denise, Sunny is on her way to Owen Sound where she will visit friends and meet Luna the Bouvier. They will walk a small section of the Bruce Trail I believe before returning home. The humans plan on an Indian dinner out. Looks like your weekend is much tougher..though warmer!

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Ah, a dog's life! (with the right humans, of course). I'm running a little heater in the office tho it's only 62 deg -- I get cold sitting still! Hi, Mary, sounds like a lovely weekend you're having. Off to google the Bruce Trail and maybe a little more work...More procrastination involved signing up for a plant import license on the U.S. website. The riches of English nurseries are mine!! Woohoo!

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Happy belated Thanksgiving Idylls! We are stilling going to celebrate the holiday with Ricks children and Gkids tomorrow. There will be 18 at the tables and one babe in arms.

I am hopelessly behind, due to an extremely busy month at work. We spent Thanksgiving Day with my family. We were a small group with only one of my siblings and family attending, Kenzie and her parents, my parents and Rick and I. Kenize sat between Rick and I at dinner, she ate some of everything served but pickles and olives were her favorite. She thought the pimento, which she pulled out of each olive, was a jelly bean.

We played farkle for our evenings entertainment, teaching it to my 8 year old nephew.

My mom, sister and I were some of the crazies who were shopping by 6:00 a.m. We dont stand in long lines though. If the line is too long we just dont shop in that store. We were at the build a bear workshop because my sis wanted to build a monkey for Kenzie for Christmas. We were the only ones in the place. Her monkey sports a Minnesota Vikings cheerleader outfit, if you can picture that. The best part of the day was that my mom got a $250.00 refund on the TV that she had just purchased 2 weeks ago and then showed up as a doorbuster.

Last night was the 4th birthday of Tanner who is Ricks gson. So its been busy.

Deanne your tables are quite elegant looking. I really love your room with all those wonderful windows. I do use cloth tablecloths but no crystal or cloth napkins with 8 of the guests being children.

Norma, what a wonderful fall pond photo.

Babs, how wonderful to see the smiling faces of your family. What a great background too.

Denise, your mantel is lovely and your DS did a wonderful job of capturing it.

I could make many more comments, but I really must return to my preparations for tomorrow.

Michelle

• triple_creek
    16 years ago

Hi all Idylls,Including the missing ones. Hope all is well.
    Missing Eden and would like to hear about Honeys puppy.
    I thought Katies surgery was the 26th, anyway I hope she is doing well.

Denise,bummer about all the work. Glad you got a chuckle out of the cats name too.
    Cindy, you out there?

Michelle , funny Kenzie calling the pimento a jelly bean.
    I played Sorry with Wyatt after dinner thursday. We had to modify the rules a bit for his age. There weren't any young enough games at Uncle Tims house.

Today seems like Monday to me. I made a run to Lowes and to the nursery. Didn't buy anything but got a good idea for making up a succulent container.

I was going to shred leaves this afternoon, but ran out of get up and go.
    I'll probably get out there tomorrow afternoon. I'm tired of being in the house so much already. I thought I was ready for a good long rest but I hate being indoors. Hope we get a few mild days here and there. Theres still plenty I can do out there. I sort of like seeing the bones of the garden again so I can see where things need some winter interest. Need to go to the creek too and get more border rocks for my paths.

Not much going on here so I'll catch you all later. Norma

P.S. hi Jerri

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

It sounds like everyone had a nice holiday with lots of good eating! Fabulous table setting Deanne. Having that many people for a meal would be way beyond me. There will be 10 for Christmas this year and that's the biggest sit-down dinner ever for us. I much prefer just another couple for dinner - much easier to follow a conversation that way.

Sunny looks very much at home there gb....

We had our first snow on Thursday. Not the 4-6" that had been forecast though. We only got a light dusting - the lake is still relatively warm and that has a big impact. Areas further from the lake got a lot more snow. Tomorrow Randy will put the big driveway pots in the garage so the driveway is clear for future snow removal.

I ordered seeds from Stokes this afternoon so 2008 garden season has begun...:-) I was very restrained this year as I don't plan to start many seeds. I do plan to start several batches of rose seeds from my garden. I want to see if the Angel roses under the Blanc Double de Coubert rose might produce something different than the ones in the herb bed where there is less chance of cross-pollination. I also harvested some hips from the New Dawn climbing rose and am curious to see what they might produce. I collected quite a few seeds from various hibiscus. I'd like to add a number of hibiscus to the long term care facility garden.

The house 4 doors up the street from here is a pile of rubble as of this afternoon. Somebody paid a rather outrageous price for it in eary summer and it has been vacant ever since. It was starting to look VERY derelict so we're all happy to see it come down and are curious to see what will go up in its place.

• chelone
    16 years ago

Good morning everyone. I, too, was under the impression that Katie goes under the knife on the 26th. I hope I haven't gotten that wrong... certainly wish both her and Cynthia well!

I loved the photo of your lovely table, Deanne. I took a few shots of the table here, but haven't disgorged the contents of the camera's card for some time now because I DON'T feel like dealing with more organizing. I have to be in the right sort of mood to accomplish that type of thing. Sort of like cleaning...

Kenzie reminded me of myself when I was about her age. I was another little olive hound! preferred the green ones with pimento to the big black ones (but liked those, too). Have you tried out a creamcheese and olive sandwich on her? put it on good, seeded rye bread (my favorite sandwich to take for lunch when I was a kid).

Norma, I just love that shot of the pond. It's really late autumn here, too. A few of the more stubborn oaks are holding onto their leaves, the treee trunks are handsome in their varied coats of grey, and the evergreens offer a deep, rich green. The sunlight is low and golden and I'm not too bothered by the short duration of it, probably because I'm up early enought to see it rise! I love that you modified the rules to accomodate Wyatt.

I cleaned out the front beds and windowboxes yesterday. I just hadn't "felt like it" until then. I rescued 3 "germamiums" and they look pretty pathetic now, denuded of the zapped foliage. I pulled out the plaques for the fronts of the windowboxes and thought about how to rearrange the faux fruit inventory for a new effect. I eyed the female holly (Ble Princess) on the corner of the house and noted it is hugely overgrown... not a terribly bad thing heading into the holiday season. It's also LOADED with berries. :)

I have had some hugely poignant moments over the past few days. Very different feelings than I had following Dad's death. Private tears. Anytime someone we love dies we are faced with the knowledge that shared memories between two people now live on in only one memory. I realized how much I associate Mum with autumn and decorating for the holidays, something I'd not really appreciated until this year. As a child, I was always pressed into service to help collect nuts, pinecones, dried seed pods, etc.. I have very tender memories of bundling up and mining the cemetary for fallen cones... "can you find more of these for me, Lillybet?". Later, Mum would explain the significance of evergreens, fruits, the solstice, and the addition of one more candle to the front windows as the Advent season progressed. Somehow, this year it all carries a greater, more deeply personal emphasis.

Thinking of you all and wishing each of you the best this life can give. I love that you let me share it with you.

• chelone
    16 years ago

Is everyone at the airport, or what?

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

DS and friend have just begun their long drive back to Boston. First was the 4 mile jog however. Then showers, breakfast, packing. DH bought Sunny a coat because she gets so cold. I made nibbles and turkey sandwiches for their trip. Monday DS begins a new job, so who knows when we might see him next! It was a fine fine visit. I was surprised to learn that his friend is in fact a year older than he is. I'm such a terrible judge of age!

{{gwi:187111}}

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thought Id just procrastinate cleaning the kitchen and check in here this morning instead . DD has departed back to Oregon this morning,her trunk stuffed with items of hers that I have unearthed during my closet purging process. This will be a kick back, do laundry and light chores kind of day.

Norma, I just love the pond pic you posted a couple of days ago..it is a great illustration of one of the reasons to uses grasses ,that being the fall and winter interest they can provide. Perhaps youll post another shot from that location in the spring ?

Deanne, lovely table glad I wasnt on dish duty at your house ! I was astonished at the mess just the three of us made here . And then and encore performance (with a reduced cast) for you on Fridaydid all the guests get a basement garden tour? I envision a leisurely stroll, wine glass in hand, viewing thriving fuchsia and coleus cuttings, and perhaps a game of Guess The Plant upon arrival at the dormant display. Loser does the dishes lol !

So Denise, what will become of the hydrangeas after they do their time on the mantle ? I particularly like the color combos on the mantle display-very pleasing to my eye and nice to see a bit of a departure from traditional Thanksgiving/ fall hues that one is used to seeing. I hope you are allowed some time away from the workday drudgery this weekend.

bug, thanks for being our faux Cynthia this holiday and posting us some lovely grey-photos to view. What an attractive couple your DS and friend make .

Michelle, a brave one you are for throwing your lot in with the hoardes on Black Friday. I do most of my Christmas shopping nowadays on the internet. Since I will be flying up to Portland for Christmas I am trying to assemble gifts of small stature as I will be shipping them up ahead a couple weeks hence.

Woody are these veggie seeds or flowers you ordered from Stokes ? Ive never tried growing roses from seed, I have an acquaintance who does a bit of amateur hybridizing for his own enjoyment. My only seeds this year are the Sweetpeas, which are up and growing now.

Chelone, ah yes, another olive hound here. Oddly neither one of my children can stand olives. I love them, most any kind. One of our grocers here does a really tasty garlic-herb marinated green olive that I have been known to eat in large quantities in spite of the $$ price tag.
    No doubt as the coming seasons unfold you will come upon thoughts of your Mum associated with each of them. Bittersweet though they are, theses times I think help to fix the pictures and memories in ones mind. I remember very little of the first holidays we had after my DH passed away, but the memories our family has from when he was still with us are very clear.

Martie, loved your tales of the Osage oranges . I read on one of the info sites I found that the plants were used as cattle barriers in pre-barbed wire days.
    Well, I better get going on the kitchenIve shilly-shallied at this desk long enough..big wave to all

Kathy in Napa

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Happy belated holiday - all - yes,um Im here. Had a pleasant turkey day but the cold wars seem to have set in here at the house -- something to do w/ my alarm at mentioning a plastic bowl wasnt meant to hold newly made hot soup -- plastic potato chip bowls arent known to be heat resistant that I know - but apparently I must have said it wrong or something... sigh. so we're in our respective "corners" sulking. Im kind of tired of being the recipient of the cold shoulder routine, so I gave in and am returning the 'tude... but it makes me sad to end the holiday this way....

o well. Actually I managed to get out in the yard and plant the 500 bulbs, do some clean up and tie overgrown roses down - so that's making me feel productive at least.

I am enjoying the photos of all, love the wonderful Mawtha arrangements, learned out to spell tuchas (not sure I've ever seen that in print before, LOL...)-- and thinking of Cynthia & her Katie - I too think the op is scheduled for 26th - guess that means tomorrow. Here's hoping & crossing all the fingers....!

Jerri - Im sorry to hear of all your troubles & your Dad's passing - geeze, we've all had lots of deaths, illnesses, etc., here this year for some reason....

Looking forward to seeing the Bebe Bouvier - how wonderful for you, 'bug -- the parents appear magnificent.

I too felt a bit nostalgic, Chelone, this holiday - my Dad was alone and I felt guilty; it made me think of the wonderful t-giving we had last year and some of the better times in other decades. I guess we'll all have those feelings. 'Course I've had my share of "bad" holidays, too and, LOL, I'd prefer to not remember those!!

Thank goodness for the wonders of wireless - Im sitting in my bedroom writing this at last; the laptop had been held hostage in the basement til I went & got it -- so at least I can catch up a wee bit here, til the battery dies.

I have done very little Xmas shopping - working on getting that spirit. Michelle, you are to be commended for braving those holiday hordes - here in DC the stores opened at 4 a.m. Friday -- that just seems too nutz to me.

I've got some catching up on history of osage oranges, freerice and other things here I can see.

I would like to say I'll be back to more daily visiting, but the ofc is still craaaazy and I seem to slink home. Im not expecting a quiet one coming - just try to forget for the 5 days; and pay on Monday.... and in another week, Dad's hip surgery is on board - Im still wrestling with whether to pop up there for a couple days to make sure all is okay w/ it or not....

Deanne -- gotta say - you have an admirable husband who would let his shop be overtaken w/ his wife's obsesssion! Again, Doug deserves a medal. Loved your table -- very elegant but welcoming.

Hi, to all -- I know I've not mentioned oodles of the faithful here -- but I think of each of you daily and miss the closer connection - Im hoping I can work on checking in at nite, if possible.

I hope we will hear from Cynthia re Katie's outcome.

Waving on the drive bye!!!!

--Cindy

• saucydog
    16 years ago

I LOVED IT!!!! It's like gardening underwater. I'm so tired so I will add some pics and make it short (I'm thinking I'll be toast tomorrow....)

The details: Yesterday: 28 degree air temp, 48 degree water temp....today only slightly warmer air temp @ 35 degrees.

I had an okay holiday...tough for me to transition from the southern family to the northern family....all's well in my head now :)

My thoughts from what I've read since T-Day:
    Denise: I get herded daily on my walk with my friend who shares your name (we call her "sunny D"). "Small Dog" is a Cardigan Corgie and thinks I am the cow of his dreams :)

Norma, what a picturesque pond! You have been sucessful at making it seasonal! Jake and grades will be okay. I have given over control of My Jake and his grades to the school system, though I keep close tabs. We are all happier this way.

Deanne, I had a sharp shinned hawk. He was brazen (sp?) but was only here in a deep cold spell. He was also amazing! Your table was beautiful! I wish I'd taken a picture of my MIL's dinner table....

Kenzie's a smart girl eating the olives and pickles...at least this pickle eater thinks so :) Grandma used to say my blood would dry up from the amount of pickles I ate....I'm still here Grandma :) I still drink the pickle juice, too.

Here's a few photos from today: (don yourself with a blankie!)

The "stuff" required:
    {{gwi:187113}}

Put on the gear:
    {{gwi:187115}}

{{gwi:187117}}

Walk across the street to the sight:

{{gwi:187119}}

eyes closed and all:

{{gwi:187121}}

and into the water:
    {{gwi:187122}}

Please give Jake a round of applause for photography (and making nice with his sister while we were underwater :)

I have so much more to say to everyone here....I really enjoyed everyone's post.

Marian, where are you?

Saucy

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Slowly returning to normal here on the prairie. The kids are safely back to school, almost everything has been put away and the only laundry left to do is rather prosaic.

We had a very nice holiday here with various members of the family at various times. And a first for me - we even began our holiday decorating. The snowmen have claimed their territory on the mantle, the cedar and pine roping is strung on the balcony and the tree has been cut and installed. No lights or ornaments, but give me time...

DH is now on the phone with a friend, getting evaluations for what he wants for Christmas. All I want for Christmas is someone to feed the dogs!

Cindy, sorry to hear of the armed camp atmosphere. I know how easy it is to sound more alarmed than necessary when you see someone about to ruin something; it's too bad she took such offense at it.

I'll be thinking of K-k-katie tomorrow and hope that all goes well.

I've started a new book, "Loving Frank" about a woman with whom Frank Lloyd Wright had a long affair. It's quite good, and I'm just geeky enough to Google the different FLW houses mentioned in the book. I was quite surprised to see that the first house mentioned was one that I had been able to visit on a casual basis many years ago. A coworker lived there for a year; she and some friends leased the house for a year from a professor who was going on a foreign sabbatical. Anyway, it's a very good read and I'm going back to it now!

V.

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Saucy, I see you trying to smile in the second-to-last photo, but I KNOW that guy (your DH?) has a gun to your back, right? That's c-c-c-o-l-d, girl! I too feel rather bovine around our corgie (and just in general, lol, esp. after yesterday's leftover binge).

Kathy, your comment about my choice of purple for the holiday flwrs made me realize I had gone a bit astray, lol. Never occurred to me to stick to traditional colors. A guest did bring a horn of plenty with the autumnal mums, so we ended up having the proper arrangement. Hydrangeas are usually a NIMBY plant for me, just can't keep them watered, but that color was too luscious to pass up. They'll never come true to that color again in the ground, of course. These will be gifted elsewhere. The plectranthus will definitely be used, and one is already esconced in a large pot under the pergola with a fuchsia, that fern you ID'd, campanula Pantaloons and more.

A few cuttings I had taken of arctotis and salvia were potted on today. Why's it still insanely thrilling to tug on the little cuttings and feel that resistance, meaning there's root growth? My SIL at the holiday dinner informed me that my Christmas gift to her must be a succulent hanging creation of some sort. She especially liked the trailing "fish-hook" senecio, and I had a few of those rooting as well. Imagine that, a Christmas gift that will be fun to make! I've been thinking a lot lately of the crafting impulse and how there's this hierarchy of art, then crafts, and where does stuff fit on the continuum. DS is hanging out with "assemblage" artists lately, taking photos of them to build his portfolio. I thought this one was striking of a found-object artist named Rick, kinda has a Fantastic Voyage feel:

{{gwi:187124}}

Nice to see you check in, Cindy. Ain't wireless grand? Sounds like kind of an "odd couple" vibe going on -- and it makes for great reading! -- but I truly sympathize for the discomfort you've been in.

Any child that loves pickles and olives is on their way to a life rich with food experiences. I think Kenzie is my dream grandchild. (Maybe that will bring Eden out of hiding!) Reed, of course, holds place of honor as dream grandbaby. Then there's the adorable twins...I can see how such comments can lead to trouble. G'night all.

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Yay Saucy - way to go!! Glad it was such a neat experience. Great pictures too. Thanks Jake!

Cindy - nice you could stop by. I'm so sorry to hear about the continuing trials and tribulations at home and concerns for your Dad. Hope planting bulbs was good therapy.

V - we are reading Loving Frank soon for book club. I'm pleased to hear it is an interesting read. I have an uncle who lived in a Frank LLoyd Wright house in Michigan and Dh and I looked forward to visiting there when we lived in Chicago. It had much of the original furniture which was visually beautiful but at times uncomfy.

Two of our guests have departed and grown nephew is here till tomorrow morning when he flys back to LA. Another nice day - a big brunch together, garden time, an afternoon visit to Starbucks, my turkey enchilladas for supper. I'm about to head to join the gang in the hot tub. David told me his eyes would be watery when he comes to say good bye to his cousin tomorrow. His cousin is such a nice young man - polite, kind and also hip and fun. David and Annie just adore him.

have a great evening

Mary

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Hi Saucy...I'm here.
    I ended up having a lovely Thanksgiving day after thinking it would be a lonesome day with just the 2 of us.
    I overheard our evangelist saying he and his wife wouldn't be going to Oklahoma,( where the rest of their family was going), because of a doctor's appointment the following day.I asked them if they would be with anyone else that day, and thay said no, so I invited them to come to our house. They didn't know for sure whether they could come, but I went ahead and started the preparations on Wednesday( baking pies and pumpkin bars). I told Nolon I didn't think they would come.But Wednesday night, after we both had gone to bed early, the phone rang and it was John asking what time I wanted them to come! I was so pleased. They arrived at the time I told him ( 1 PM ) as I was putting the final touches on the meal.
    As one of you said about your meal...it was a real nice dinner even tho I did the preparing of it.:-)
    Doris brought a pumpkin pie , whipped cream, green beans, and a few other things.
    After we ate, and ate, and ate..:-), we visited the rest of the afternoon. It was a wonderful time !

Our former DIL decided that she wanted the girls this Thanksgiving, and Tim could have them at Christmas. She has decided they will alternate the years for the 2 holiday get-to-gethers ! (I am wondering how long she thinks Nolon and I will be around???) Since we live so far from them, and the latter part of Dec. can be very treacherous for driving here...it will remain to be seen if they make it this year.
    Thanksgiving has been our time with them ever since the first one was born, and she knows my stand on Christmas....just another case of her showing her true colors.

Thank goodness Tim plans on bringing them this Friday for the weekend. I won't fix another Thanksgiving dinner, but that's okay.

I have been reading, and enjoying, all of the posts. I am happy for all the good news, and sad with you that have sad news.

Woody, I want you to know that the B 12 shots have very definitely helped. I took one a week for 4 weeks, and will begin one a month this coming tuesday. I presume they will continue the rest of my life....

I took Nolon for a checkup with a differant Doc last Monday. His regular doctor has gone into some sort of rehab, and will not be back until spring. I am thinking he ( Nolon) will be getting more appropriate treatment now. With the new meds that this doc gave him, he has already cut down on the use of the nebulizer. I don't plan on his returning to the 'old' doctor.

It is wintry here. We have had a couple of skifts of snow, and had some ice on things this morning. The roads were not icy, so we didn't miss AM services. We did stay home this evening. The weather was too iffy, and it was very foggy.

I am sending more hugs to Chelone...

Marian

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Good morning

Marian - we've been bad Idylls and in all the rush before Thanksgiving forgotten your birthday. Please accept some very belated but heartfelt birthday wishes instead. It was lovely to read about your Thanksgiving dinner and guests!

Saucy - Happy Birthday to you!!

Cards for both will appear after work - right now I'm rushing to make an early staff meeting.

Till later

Mary

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Thanks Mary. It is not unusual for Thanksgiving to overshadow my Birthday. I am okay with that.
    I am now officially 3 quarters of a century old ! :-)

Happy Birthday Saucy !

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

early sneak peek & greeting from me

Saucy Im impressed 28 degrees brrrr! Congrats!!!!! And you dont even look scared!

And you put it just right about Normas photo it was so lovely and inviting even for late autumn. Youve gone a great job combining the seasons, Norma; I meant to mention it earlier.

V- good start for you for the next Holiday -- No holiday decorating here yet Im having difficulties getting into the "mood" hopefully it will come to me within the next couple of weeks, altho I have less space for storing the boxes as the empty bedroom is presently taken. Gee, guess that means Ill have to be neater than usual what a thought, LOL.

Denise I loved your hydrangea/mantel dont care what colors its nice to see things like that no matter what their hue in fact, dried hydrangeas are a fav of mine. What a great gift to ask for Id get in that very same line in fact, you may have given me a few ideas to give now (copying you) altho I have no cuttings really to work with but there are couple people I know who might like such a succulent gift. I was showing off my agaves/aloes last week I could tell my DD thought her Mom was off on another "kick" she said, "well, you do go overboard on stuff, Mom" I am in fact just like my own Mom she too could easily get "obsessed" for things, LOL. . . . Love that "found object" pic!!

Ha, - yep, you have it, Denise Ive got the Odd Couple going on at my house Im feeling like Im in a couple of those episodes I will have to think along those lines when this keeps happening to regain my sense of humor thanks for the thought! Last nite late, I got a comment shouted upstairs at me of "cant we just move on"... I guess that was her idea of a peace offering altho seems to me shes the one who got miffed and started it I just am feeling kind of ornery still though. Im sure a day at the ofc will knock that out of me! But Im not usually one to hold a grudge so hopefully Ill have forgotten by tonite.

Mary & Marian , it sounds as though you both had a really pleasant holiday altho it is nice to get back to ones normal routine isnt it?

Okay, I guess I better face the 110 emails sitting in my inbox here at the ofc gotta weed thru them, print, file, delete, etc. . . .

Thinking of Katy-did & her Mom and siblings this day. Good, good thoughts.

--Cindy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

Good thoughts for Katy today!

Jeez, where did a four day weeekend go? After enjoying a marvelous Thanksgiving and quick overnight at Deanne's, I came home and went into hyper cleaning mode both in and outside the house. We're still dealing with leaves here-ARG! I love a clean house but just don't have the time on a regular basis to get and keep it that way.

Hey Saucy, nice job! Scuba diving may be in my future as well. Time will tell. Lots of changes to come here.

Marie, you must be thrilled to see DS happy. I'm looking forward to the Baby Bouvier progress.

Hi to all!

Sue

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Pensive about Cynthia's day...I do hope she and Katy check in later on! Best wishes from all..including Sunny, who demolishes squeaky toys at great speed. "Faux Cynthia"...I'm honoured Kathy!
    {{gwi:187126}}

Congratulations on your landmark birthday Marian. I had images of you and Nolon in his new dress shoes at the Quick Stop for a turkey dinner. Glad you were able to share the day with friends!
    {{gwi:187127}}

Saucy, since you can tolerate frigid waters, this one's for you! Congratulations on your scuba dive!!! Wonderful photos too.
    {{gwi:187128}}

Cindy, hugs to you. Your doggy must be a great comfort to you these days!

Yes Sue, seeing your family healthy & happy is top of the charts! Waiting for the puppy seems an eternity!

Chelone, such a nice thing to hear about your brother's visit! Special moments still to come!

Olives, pickles, artichokes, hot peppers....these are a few of my favourite things. (Hear the music?)
    On with the day!
    'bug

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Marian, congratulations on the ¾ of a century mark. Our family always makes a big deal out of those, starting with the ¼ century which my son reached this spring.

Wow, Saucy what an adventure. Did you get an underwater camera?

Norma, we are a little out in the country too, but now DHs son has moved 3 miles from us, so we take care of their dogs when they are gone and they take of Jaden, so it works well.

Denise, the fairy tutus is a cute thought.

Chelone, Im sure the first holiday without your mum had to be difficult.

Sunny looks might fine in her winter coat.

Kathy, the one item I would like to get online seems to be "sold out" bummer.

Cindy, you are a saint to put up with such a tude from your guest.

No turkey soup here, but it does sound good. Tonight will be leftover pork loin, pumpkin dessert and peppermint stick ice cream dessert, something seems to be missing!

I saw this really cool Christmas topiary at Hobby Lobby that Im trying to recreate. I plan on using one of my garden urns. I think DH might have to get involved with some number 9 wire. For you non-farmers, just about anything can be fixed with some number 9 wire.

Later
    Michelle