Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry

gardenbug
15 years ago

Tonight I received the update on our local book club meeting later this month. It is suggested that we each bring or wear a piece of lace.

And so, I think some of us here would like to comment on this book at some time in the future. So far, these are the people I know of who have read the book:

V

Bug

Those who intend to are

Kathy

Mary

Eden

Are there others joining in?

When should we begin commenting? December?

Comments (26)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

What is the book about? Should I keep and eye out for it and add it to my reading list too?

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Google it Woody and decide for yourself. Some love it, others have mixed feelings about it. It is a complex theme with much of the action in Salem Mass, so involves witchcraft, shipping, lace, lies, electric shock treatment, twins, evangelism, redemption through fire and much more.

15 years ago

Sounds interesting.... I'll look into it. I just had a very LOL moment when I opened this - I just caught the author's name out of the corner of my eye and somehow my brain interpreted it as Benjamina Bunny! I went Huh?! and looked again... We were just out wrapping young trees with tree protectors so I guess I had bunnies on the brain!

• saucydog
    15 years ago

That's where I've been all weekend: curled up in a chair reading The Lace Reader.

So add me to the list.

Saucy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Updated list:

V
    Bug
    Kathy
    Mary
    Eden
    Woody
    Saucy
    Julie

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

I ordered today , and will start reading next week.

Kathy in Napa

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

I think I mentioned that I have the book. I'm shooting for starting it tonight. It may be a slow go. I have too many things going on this week. I'll plug away though.

Eden

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

"if you love a story of broken people who find each other and don't give up on healing"

The above comment is from Amazon. I'm starting the book tomorrow!

Hugs to all. :)

Jerri

15 years ago

I picked it up today and am a few chapters into it. I like eccentric women characters so I like it so far....

15 years ago

I finished it last night.... When do the comments start?

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'd like to wait for others to finish, but maybe we should agree on a time, say Dec 1st or 15th? What do you all think?

• saucydog
    15 years ago

That works for me....I'm half way through. I was able to read for large periods last weekend, but now that has caught up to to me :) Sarah and Jake both finished the books they were reading, so now they're free to pester :)

I have a big project due, too, so I've been sidetracked.

I keep falling asleep with my book instead of reading it.

Saucy

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

I received my book today, and will start it over the weekend.I expect I would finish it by Dec 1st -it's not that long. I think that would be an appropriate time to start to comment. The 15th seems very far off.
    Kathy in Napa

• jak1
    15 years ago

O.K. got it at the library yesterday....I'll get going soon, maybe tonight...last week was BUSY!!!

Cheers,

Julie

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Discussed TLR at Book Club after a nice fish soup and pecan tart dinner. Just got home. We hashed over the book quickly and soon got to the important stuff, laughter & gossip!

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

I finished this over the weekend. I loved this book! It has been a while since I read any fiction and it was a great diversion. After the last chapter I have to go back and re-read parts of it!

Jerri

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Finished here too..

Kathy in Napa

• jak1
    15 years ago

I'm about half way. Finding it a hard go - I'm more into mystery action type stuff - but I'm not thinking of stopping - which I have done with some books if I couldn't get into them. With this one, I'm kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop...I will be done by Dec. 1 st for sure...

• jak1
    15 years ago

So I am really getting into it now...not my usual recreational reading fare, but I am really enjoying it now as things start to sort of come together. I will be ready be Dec. 1.

• jak1
    15 years ago

I'm with you, Jerri! I am going back to a few things too! I found it a bit slow to start but once the pace picked up a little - fascinating!!

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Bumping this up as a reminder, we had spoken of Dec 1 as a date to begin comments. It is my bedtime tonite, but will compose some thoughts for posting tomorow,hoping to hear from others as well...

Kathy in Napa

15 years ago

I enjoyed the story but thought that the melodramatic aspects (the ÂCalvinistsÂ, and their final rampage in particular) detracted from the underlying issue of domestic violence because it makes it easy to dismiss it all as part of unusual, somewhat far-fetched behavior. A more powerful message is placing it within the context of mundane, solidly Ânormal families. The Salem setting, the Âlace readingÂ, the story of the twins, and being raised in a family that is different than others would have made an interesting story on its own , as would the story of the effects of domestic violence. Wrapping the two stories up together and heavily larding them with melodrama, I thought lessened both unfortunately.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

I agree with you Woody, that the rampage was a bit over the top. I found the book very easy to read and I finished it very quickly(3 nites I think) and I enjoyed most of the basic structure. My biggest issue was actually with the dialog. This was obviously intended to be a family of eccentrics, but they carried on some incredibly mundane conversations. Bad dialog also hurts character development, but the author managed to create a few (very few) memorable characters in spite of the fact that none of them had much of interest to say. It would be interesting to see what this book could have been with some decent dialog.

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

I'm a little behind in getting started but looking forward to both reading and adding to the discussion. Hope to chime in soon.

Mary

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I enjoyed the book - and the storyline was right up my alley. I thought the Calvinist "mob" was a bit over the top, too. I agree that the dialogue was weak. Maybe they were so intuitive that they didn't have to say much, lol!

I did not like Eva's "ending." Why would such a strong character behave in that way?

I'm including a link to the official website. There are some questions there to ponder, if anyone's interested. I've never been a part of a book discussion before!

Saucy

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.lacereader.com/

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

I finished late last night. It took me awhile to get into the story and I sure didn't see the ending coming. I have to say I've thought about how it all came together quite a bit since. Lots more thoughts that I'll save for later. Just wanted to jump into the thread for now.

Eden

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm