Idyll #291 - What I am thankful for Idyll

michelle_zone4
17 years ago

Carry on...

Comments (104)

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We've got some sort of light rain/sleet thing going on but the decorations are going up. That is exciting to me! More interior cleaning for me today though, not so exciting.

Marie, I did know what you meant. I was just pullin' your leg, lol. I totally agree with you. Bella gets out one puzzle at a time and we always clean up and put things away before naps or bedtime. She's very good about putting away and also putting things "exactly" where they go. I think she has my organizing gene. There is no better gift to give a child than spending time with them, IMO.

Deanne, glad you and Doug had such a great day yesterday. It's so nice to just get away for a day and have fun isn't it? Good for the soul I think. Thanks for the pics too. I enjoyed looking through them this morning.

I have h. the path and it put out blooms over the summer but none since I've brought it inside.

I've caged the musa and hygrangeas but am still waiting to do the roses.

Have to go before Brad comes in and catches me Idylling instead of cleaning, since he's out working in the cold!

Eden

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

I just knew Deanne was off yesterday enjoying her royalty check in some way or another. Great pics as usual! When I was a kid we used to vacation at Hampton Beach quite frequently. Of course this was the 60s but we each used to get a daily allowance of a dollar in dimes and be allowed to roam at will through the arcades. You could get lost for hours with a buck in those days.

Ah, Kathy, you've been holding out on us...lol. You do have pictures and a lovely garden to boot. Keep 'em coming!

Martie, link to my fountain supplier is below. They weren't cheap but had quite the selection.

The restaurant last night gets the thumbs up. If someone hadn't turned me on to this place I never would have tried it. It's located in somewhat of a strip mall setting in an obscure part of Hartford but is surprisingly high end. Dining among us last night was CT's newly reelected Secretary of State. Marie, by observing what just about everyone around us was eating I would say paella is the most popular menu item. They offered it with a variety of options even vegetarian. We didn't get it because they only served it to a minumum of 2 people and we wanted to try other things. Next time. Monique, you and Les would like this place.

Yes, fall leaf cleanup here is a real drag. If I didn't garden it would be easy. Like my neighbors, I could just spend one afternoon raking or blowing them all out to the curb and let the town come and vacuum them up. A leaf blower doesn't work in the garden areas because in addition to the leaves it also blows off all your mulch and good top soil layers. Since most of my yard is a garden it all has to be raked by hand. Cutting back the perennials makes the the raking job much easier and eliminates unnecessary damage but the cutting back process is a job in itself.

Anyway, today I'm bagging it all and taking a ride to the Clinton crossing outlet mall to do a little shopping before the Christmas rush starts next weekend. For those of you who were at IU2 for the Sunday festivities, we'll probably stop for lunch at Lenny & Joe's for hot lobster rolls. Yum!

Later,

Sue

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Sunday morning, I ve had my coffee and its foggy and cold out. Thought Id sit at the computer awhile before tackling household chores while waiting for the fog to burn off and the sun to come out.

Thnaks Mary, Eden Michelle for the nice comments ! bug, I took those pics last summer-it certainly doesnt look that way now ! I borrowed my DSs camera last nite to take a couple of shots of the same views today to post, but its too gloomy out there right now ..I will wait till later and hopefully get them up on the forum this evening.

Martie, some ID for you, In pic one you correctly pegged Nora Leigh, to her left is Salvia guaranitia "Black and Blue", and next to it plain old Autumn Joy still with green flower heads. The mauvey color is Eupatorium "Gateway" which I have no business having since it gets way to big for my garden ! I love though because it is such an architectural presence with its big leaves and maroonish stems. In this shot you cant see the two roses which it has all but engulfed..and below Joe is a Echinacea White Swan.
    The rosemary in pic two is "Tuscan Blue " , white rose on the fence is Sally Holmes, red rose in the foreground is Prospero (one of my faves) ,red rose on the fence is Blaze which I would get rid of if I could dig it up-too many tree roots !

Deanne , love the bird shots as always. Sounds like a fun day..

I better go switch the laundry and clean the kitchenfun !

Kathy in Napa

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Taking a break from figuring out the pattern width of a fabric that will soon be table runners. Decided to go against my grain and not use interfacing or line the thing. This week expediency and "bang for the energy" matters more :-)

Thanks, Sue, for the link. N.E.G.O. is in my professional neck of the woods so I'll be stopping there, soon. Glad you found a new gem in Hartford!

'bug: I like your idea of using DD's books. Was unaware that GDS had any kind of hearing difficulties. Sign language has a special place in my heart and is what I consider my "second" language. He may not be able to learn French speaking quite yet, but if he learns sign he won't need to since it's such a universal language. Knowing that makes the pic of GDS and your DH with the guitar all that more special!

Back to work!

Martie

• chelone
    17 years ago

I'm feeling particularly virtuous at this moment having washed the inside AND the outside of 9 windows and the slider to the deck, as well as the inside of the picture windows. We live on the second floor of the house so the picture windows are second story... helpmeet can break out the sqeegee on the extension pole for those! They were filthy. It's hard to believe they get washed spring and fall.

I've primed the boards for the new fake fruit displays, too. And went to Orange to purchase some necessary hardware for them as well as some paint roughly the color of evergreens. I'm going to let them dry a bit longer before hauling out the paintbrush to hit with the real color.

Now... fold laundry or watch TV? the Forsyte Saga is looking more tempting than the laundry...

;)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

The excitement continues here today (sorry Marian...lol). We did drive down to the outlet mall. Apparently either it's always mobbed down there on Sundays or the holiday shopping madness has already begun. The lack of spaces in the huge parking lot should have been our first clue. In some of the stores the lines were so long we ended up not buying even though we had stuff we wanted. I'm generally not big on crowds and on the few occasions I do shop I prefer to do so leisurely. Today was not one of those days.

I did end up feeding my boot addiction at the Liz Claiborne shoe store. Did you all know I had somewhat of a shoe fetish? Well, I'm coming clean. In the summer it's Born sandals and in the winter it's boots. Tom would have you believe I'm in Imelda's league but you know how men exaggerate. Anyway, even Tom had to do a double take at the deal I got today. Most of the shoes were half off the outlet price and in addition to that some styles were buy one get the second pair at half price. When the last pair of dress black leather boots I bought rang up at $27.50 Tom went over and checked the sign in the window. When we got out of the store he asked me how those boots were that cheap when the sign said they were $110. Well they were half price, $55 and then half price off that. I did have to buy another pair at only half price to get that price but in the world of shopping there are often certain sacrifices you have to make.

At any rate, we high tailed it out of that madhouse and headed over to the hot lobster roll joint. Monique, do you agree that Lenny & Joe's have the best hot lobster rolls? It's a good thing they aren't closer or I'd be over there a couple of times a week. Tom had fried shrimp and that was excellent too.

On the way home I stopped at Starbucks for a caramel macchiato (Deanne's influence-whenever you're with her in the afternoon she stops at Starbucks) then to the grocery store. Just to say I did something garden related I bagged a dahlia tuber and a few cannas. The rest need additional drying time. Since I didn't get home in time to walk outside I'm about to get changed and hop on the treadmill. After that it's stretching and weights. For the past few weeks I've had some sort of tendonitis or something in my left elbow so have had to modify my usual weight training routine. So far it's not getting better though. Some days I feel like I'm falling apart...lol.

Sue

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

It's a cool, sleepy Sunday here. I do a litte clean-up and then take a loooong break, rinse and repeat. The breaks are definitely outpacing the accomplishments.

The ornament-making project went well this morning. The boy who ended up with the most paint on his clothes had the foresight to strip off his outer shirt ("it's my Jeff Gordon shirt!") so that the paint ended up on his white tee shirt. The project was simple - clear glass ornaments with paint squirted into them and then swirled around. The kids enjoyed them and the other teacher and I were still sane at the end of class!

Then I stopped at Starbucks and waited grumpily in line as the nice young man ahead of me kept telling his two young children to be careful as they touched all of the many things on the low shelves. I wanted to ask him what was wrong with "Don't touch" but held my tongue. Held my breath too when the five year old carried the large glass mug across the store to play with it in front of the expensive expresso machine. Oh well...

Still waiting for DS to arrive home - he's decided the person he is getting a ride from is not the most reliable. But my giant Christmas wreath arrived today! Yes Sue, the holiday frenzy has started - I noticed that yesterday.

Okay, time to keep shoveling out the house.

V.

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Stopping in before I toddle over to the book thread--my everyone has been som much more productive today than I have ! Clearly I do not get the same chore production out of myself since I joined the Idylls forum ! I need to start typing faster..(or thinking faster)

Here are a few pics from today

{{gwi:187417}}>

This is todays view of the 1st pic I posted yesterday

{{gwi:187419}}>

and todays view of pic 2 including a sneak preview of the biggest pansy display on the planet

>img src={{gwi:187421}}>

Almost Thanksgiving and I still have tomatoes !!

Kathy in the Napa Valley

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Good evening

Kathy - I do indeed have tomato envy!!

Martie - wonderful to hear you are up and about and full of energy. What fun preparing your feast will be.

Today I think I'd win the prize for the least accomplished. It was a slothful day that felt very good. My major accomplishment was a trip to the library to find a mystery book for David's next report. I too stopped into Starbucks - DH had given me a gift card so I splurged on a latte. As we had wet snow falling the treat was even more welcome.

I'm heading off to bed, looking forward to a short work week. We have friends joining us for Thanksgiving so I should probably think about getting a turkey soon. Thank goodness tomorrow is another day.

Nite-nite

Mary

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Since we've been in the city all day, I haven't had time to read. What a busy Idyll day! I'm ashamed to say that this was the 3rd time we ate out this weekend.

I must say that every time I think I've seen Deanne's best, she shows us more. What great shots, the last would be my favorite. Frosty here this a.m., but I went out with the camera and took a few shots of yesterdays work.
    Before:
    {{gwi:187423}}
    After:
    {{gwi:187424}}
    On the right is a pile of compost that I didn't get spread this summer. In the back you can see the stump of the tree that was cut down. A lot of the brush in the first picture is actually low hanging branches that we cut out.
    There's not much interesting left in the garden but this sedum 'Angelina' is so pretty right now I thought I'd share.

{{gwi:187425}}

Michelle

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Good morning! What a great send-off to a new work week with pics.

Michelle: I, too, love this Sedum and will get one or six (;-) as soon as I know where I can use them as an edging. Your work is impressive! When can you guys come out to CT with your equipment? Food will be good, you can easily see Sue and Deanne and Monique, and I'll leave you room under my lights. LOL

Kathy: Is that a rosemary? Now I see the bloom and gotta know because if it isn't, I need to find a plant like that to container. Wow! the tomatoes. I checked my cellared Brandywines yesterday and think I may be able to get four or five out for Thanksgiving.

Chelone: Avian carcass???? Of the turkey variety? LOL when you said that because for the first time we're having a bonafide vegan for dinner and I had to do research to be sure that person would have enough to eat. When I told her that yes, we would be having turkey, she asked if she could be seated as far away as possible from the "bony bird." We'll take that into consideration, of course.

Looking forward to going back to work but managed to get some things done through my haze. The herb garden is doable and the sketch has been sent off to Kyle's Math-Wiz friend for granite cutting calculations. Then the big question -- can we afford it?

Found a fountain we love, and is affordable, on the website Sue sent and will be contacting them today to find out about Spring delivery. Also think we'll end up getting a few good-sized containers from them since they'll be delivering, anyway.

The reading group has been fun and non-stressful. I will reread the book at some point to catch some things I obviously missed, but all in all it was the perfect "read" for the week.

Table decorations just need to be side-hemmed and tassled. It will Finally be cool enough to put out the fruit arrangement featuring, of course, pineapple. Candles have been purchased, fake fruit arrangement developed, and knives sharpened.

Most importantly, today. Thank you, everyone for your support and understanding during these last few days. No need for sappiness in this group, but having the computer as a diversion was a great help in keeping my spirits and body upright. Already I can feel a physical difference and think I was probably sicker than I knew. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Martie

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Grumpy checking in here -- I dont believe you've missed me but I miss you!! I've been a totally enslaved at the office having to work both weekends & fighting some germ in between.... this week looks to be no better -- and I have yet to do grocery shopping or food prep for Thanksgiving. I tried to swap working Sunday for having Weds. off so I could do something personal but have been refused.... it's starting to look like Im working for the Grinch.... And he doesnt understand the word "NO".

the good thing is that I only have 5 people coming for T-giving & somehow it will get done; they're just gonna be happy w/ whatever gets slung on the table. I went to 3 grocery stores last nite in search of small pumpkins to stuff for the 2 vegetarians coming - ended up w/ one lonely small one.....it may be acorn squash substitutes.

I havent had time to read anything anywhere -- but I wanted to at least drop in to say how much I miss you all!! I read thru most of the book but never had a chance to partake of the book thread - Im really bummed.....

Maybe come Friday I'll have a chance to catch up again. I do hope nothing untoward has happened to anyone & I quickly saw Martie's name so I know she's doing okay after procedure.

Thinking of you all.

--Cindy

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Driving alone to and from the evening service was a long,dark, lonely drive.... The morning drive was all right, since I am used to going places alone in the daytime. Even though we seldom talk while riding together there definitely was a void. He seems to have had a better night, so hopefully this spell is almost over. Now if I can just get a flu shot and nip a spell for myself in the bud.I was chilly in bed all night, so hope that doesn't mean something coming on.

I had a talk with Tim on the phone. He is still spending each week day at Marvin's. Dispite the Hospice prediction, Marvin is still up and around, and helping on the house building. He is also still in denial.
    Unless an arrangement is made between Tim and the girl's mother, there will be no company at our house this week. There is a slight possibility that Tim and the girls can be here Sat. and Sun.
    I will go ahead and cook the turkey, and do some other preparations. Nothing out of the ordinary.

As I was setting in class last evening I was thinking how drained I feel...then afterwards I was asking about the absence of on of the wives. Her DH said she was "overwhelmed". I told him about my "drained" and he thought that was a good word to add to her condition. With me, I think the "overwhelmed" came first, then the "drained". I was rereading the last year's posts and see that I was much more upbeat. No wonder I am coming close to being "voted off the Idylls" :-(

Everyone needs to go back and read those threads, from the earliest on. It is very enlightening. One thing that I discovered, and reqret, is that I failed to thank Cynthia for the lovely Birthday card she posted for me!

The oldest thread goes back to mid-October 1005. I was amazed at how much more active I was that fall. What a differance a year has made. I still pray that 'this too shall pass'.

There have sure been a bunch that have come and gone in that year's time. It would be great if they would all check in and give an update. I am thinking even farther back, when Jacqui, (and others) were here. Cynthia started an "amnesty" thread. I think we need another one.

I wish I could touch base with all of my friends of years past, but so many of them are passed on, and most of the rest have moved or married/remarried and I have no way of finding them. Sorry...I guess the accumulation of years is affecting my mind! Maybe this is a normal process?

The responding to everyone's posts has been too 'overwhelming' for me lately, but I do want to tell Martie that I am glad she is recovering from her surgery.
    I am thankful that modern procedures have improved the surgical processes since I had all of mine. Some of the improvals are astounding.

I am enjoying all the pics. Deanne, yours are wonderful of the birds, but no surprise, since you excel in all that you attempt. Glad that Kathy has joined in with her pics. They will sure fill in for our winter drabness.
    Which reminds me...as I drove out yesterday evening I could see the sunset all along the western horizon. All of the leaves have fallen from the trees bordering the mile long country road in that area, and revealed the western horizon through the bare trees. Pretty! There were low clouds, and they were dark red.
    As I stopped at the end of the road, before entering the highway, there was a dark vehicle with no lights on, waiting to turn into the country road from the right of me. I would not have even seen it if it hadn't had it's turn indicator on. I turned my lights off and on again, attempting to give it a message, but with no response. Maybe it's lights had failed.... dangerous!

Marian

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARIAN!

I appreciate your comments on the silent drives that are nevertheless companionable. Well put!

{{gwi:187426}}

Sorry- must run!
    'bug

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Hey! Thank you Marie! Tomorrow will mark another year racked up for me.
    I love your pic. Lavender is one of my very favorite colors.

• chelone
    17 years ago

A hearty birthday salute to Marian!

{{gwi:187427}}

I'm not certain the thrill of Hydrangeas will ever leave me, Marian, so I'm sending this along as something that brought me great joy over the summer. I hope you will have some birthday cake! (you would probably like the living area and library here if you like the color lavender).

I returned to a sparkling house this afternoon. The helpmeet vacuumed... and thoroughly, too (not just around things, but UNDER them)! The place looks like a million bucks, what with clean "winders 'n' all". And the larder is full... all I have to do is pick up the bird and the cake on my way home Wednesday (and scour the bathroom). Talk about a well oiled hinge... these oxen have learned to pull equally into the yoke of marriage. :)

I have nearly finished the green paint thing. Last coat on the final side will be tomorrow morning before I leave for work. I'm hoping to play around with "simulated fruit" over the weekend... when it would be fool's folley to attempt to venture "off the compound" (are you listening, Sue? uh, I mean, Imelda).

I worked on the roll down curtains for the B&B today. I have one more to finish and then some small "thises and thats" and the job will be ready for installation. I rather like making curtains, though they can get to be quite tedious when there are a lot of them. This enclosure requires 6, all in 8'H range and varying from 70"-113"W. There are fabric skirts, and clear plastic "windows". And a variety of flaps to connect them to the supports of the open porch. They look good and my contribution to aesthetics has been employed... that is, that there be one complete panel of plastic at the center... as one would join panels for drapery work. Heretofore, no great attention was paid to the placement of seams... something that drove me nuts, offending my somewhat anal sensibilities. ;) It's nice to have my expertise receive "the nod" every so often.

I want to see the "tasseled" runners, Martie. I'll probably go with last year's linens since the bathroom needs considerable attention and some pressing is about all I'll be able to pull off in the given time, lol. Whatever I do will be special... a bachelor (BIL) and Mum... who wouldn't remember anyway, :) !

Michelle, your site prep. is AMAZING. You go, girl! I'm with Martie; you need to take "that show on the road"... when you're done with Martie, Sue, Monique, Deanne, you can come here. The helpmeet is a great cook, and we'll take you sailing afterwards... how's that?

Cindy, STINKS that you could "trade out" your time off. I have it pretty "plush", but rumor has it my preferred hours may be yanked... I'm not getting my knickers in a twist just yet, but am formulating an alternate plan that will allow me to move into areas of expertise that interest me more (aesthetically) than my present line of work. I'm fortunate that I may take time off anytime I wish (save the busy season; when I wouldn't ask, anyway!). My lovely boss is great that way; but I've worked very hard and very loyally for a long time to gain her confidence. Keep yourself well until you can "come up for air"... I know how that can be! Everyone waited for me, so we'll wait for you. :)

Kathy, your garden is marvelous. How much space do you cultivate? I love seeing pictures of the peak bloom and the "down" time... . I'm really interested in "bones". There is a lot of time analyze a "skeleton" here in Maine.

Pant, pant.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Thank you Chelone. That is lovely. It looks like my BlueBird Hydrangea. It survived this summer's drought, but had only one cluster of blooms. No birthday cake for me, but tomorrow at the Golden Year's class they will sing Happy Birthday to me, and there will be gobs of yummy deserts following the Thanksgiving Dinner. :-)
    I baked a store bought mincemeat pie, and a peach pie ( also store bought) today. We have already eaten half of the mincemeat one.

My word, I had better comment on the date I posted as to the oldest Idyll thread still available. I really don't think it goes back to 1005!!!! LOL LOL LOL !

My Brother and SIL sent me a birthday card. I got it Saturday. My sister called today to wish me HB, and to say she would put a card in the mail tomorrow.

Marian

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Happy Monday Everyone..and there is no happier Monday than than the one that begins a short work week !

Michelle, Isnt it great that we have cameras to record the befores and afters ? We can document our accomplishments and give ourselves a pat on the back for a job well done .
    Love the shot of the Sedums too-Im very partial to sedums and have quite a few different varieties-most of which look pretty bad right now . Maybe well need a World Of Sedums thread this summer..

Martie, yes it is a Rosemary "Tuscan Blue", which is an upright variety. It blooms late for me, but I also trim it back a lot so it doesnt encroach on its next door neighbor Rose de Rescht . I grew Brandywine two years agoloved it ! The things are the size of a cantelope ..(okay well that might be a slight exaggeration ) . It is late though and I only have room for one tom , so the one in the pic is Early Girl. They are smallish but tasty. When I get my veggie area in (a 2007 infrastructure project) I will plant three varieties.

Hi Cindy- sorry you did not get to join in our book discussion ! Well read another after the holidays, and I can relate to your long hours , 6 day weeks. Ive been experiencing some of that myself, though in my case I am the boss so much of it is self imposed. At least I could give myself the day off if I wanted to !

Marian, well Im a newcomer but I sure dont think anyone would want to vote you off the Idylls ! This group of people seems to be very supportive of one another , and we can share our wisdom (such as it is, LOL) and experience in a way that might provide , even temporarily, some respite , empathy, encouragement and point the way to the beauty around us. This natural world is our common bond .

Chelone, wow there is nothing better than coming home to a clean house ..unless it is coming home to a clean house and a well cooked meal , with a glass of wine poured and waiting. I would say my garden is about 1500 square feet right now , and I hope to add about another 200 when I get rid of half of the RV parking area. And you are right about the "bones " Ive started to pay much more attention to that the last few years. For one thing you can design so that you have something to look at besides mud in the winter, and there is a backbone too offset the herbaceous stuff in summer.

Gonna go check out the book thread Tra all

• chelone
    17 years ago

I'm so happy to learn of Marian's birthday on this date.

It was on this day, 13 years ago that my friend, Bobby Stevens, died by his own hand. I "lost my innocence" that day. I've looked at life very differently and with a much less foregiving lens in the years hence... I'm able to hone in on bull--it from a hundred yards; if you're a phoney, you'd better run for cover or muster a good defense, if I haven't sniffed you out immediately you'll be unable to conceal your "trail" for very long.

It's especially nice to learn that someone else was BORN on this day. :) I know that birth and death often coincide, but this reminder has been especially meaningful. And comforting.

Happy, HAPPY! birthday, Marian. :)

• michelle_zone4
    Original Author
    17 years ago

{{gwi:187428}}

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Happy birthday to youuuu, happy birthday to youuuu, happy biiiirthdaaay dear Maaaariaaann , happy biiiirthday tooooo Youuuuuu !!!!

{{gwi:182028}}>

Kathy in the Napa Valley

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

{{gwi:187429}}

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Michelle, those are gorgeous Iris! Thank you!
    Kathy, both your roses and your singing (lol) are beautiful...Thank you!
    I'm rather tired, I missed out on my afternoon nap due to my sis's call, so I'm going to check-in early. Tomorrow will be a busy day.
    Tim called and will be coming in the evening to bring me a BD gift. Sorry to say, but he and the girls will not be able to come for Thanksgiving.

G'night all....
    Marian

• just_t
    17 years ago

{{gwi:187431}}

Happy Birthday Marian.......I hope you enjoy your day.

T.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Chelone, That is such a nice thought, thank you.

Norma, Lovely, lovely mums. Thank you!

'See' you all tomorrow.......

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Hey, How can I get to bed when all these dear sweet messages and pics keep coming!! ??

T, cute art work! Thanks :-)

• deanneart
    17 years ago

{{gwi:185493}}

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

I am thankful for many many things. Among them, the fact that the Idyll's move along and give me something to read and enjoy even when I am in silent mode.

Gorgeous photos everyone! Thinking of all. Norma

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

{{gwi:187432}}
    Happy Birthday Marian

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

{{gwi:187433}}
    Well, even though I feel badly about it and know you guys probably are not happy with me and my "disappearance", one of the things I *am* most grateful for is time I've had to spend with *all* of you. You really are very special people - my time here at the Idylls is something I will always treasure. Priorities in my life have made it hard to post here much and trying to post anything with such large gaps of time in between just didnt seem right. Still, I hope you don't mind me posting here today, as I couldnt let the day pass without wishing Marian a very Happy Birthday! Marian, I hope you know I think of you often. You hold a special place in my heart. Im so glad you will be spending your birthday with the ladies from church! :-) I hope your day will be filled with little moments of great joy and happiness. I also wanted to say how sorry I was to read that Nolon hasnt been feeling well...am sending good thoughts. Anyway, just wanted to take a moment to let you know how much I admire you Marian and my good thoughts always to all of the Idylls...

Ei

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday Marian! I'm going to follow Chelone's lead and send you some hydrangeas. Hope you enjoy them. Have a good birthday and hope Nolon feels better soon too...

{{gwi:187435}}

Eden

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

{{gwi:187437}}

• martieinct
    17 years ago

One of the good things about posting early is that I get to extend Marian's birthday to two days. Happy Birthday, Friend in Faith!!

May have posted this pic before, but it is the only one with enough Lavender to let you know you're thought about all the time!! Next year when my Lavandula comes in, I'll have a slideshow for you ....

{{gwi:176019}}

Kathy: Thanks for the ID! 'Tuscan Blue' is mail-order only in my neck of the woods, but is already on my list for the herb garden from Papa Geno's, who will be my "exclusive" supplier of herb garden bones in 2007. Wowza!! And, one can never have too many varieties of tomatoes.

Anyone else get their Pinetree catalog??? Is the cover a "great minds think alike" example or is Deanne secretly designing catalog covers on the side :-)? Have a date with the cul-de-sac kids this Saturday to do preliminary selection. Personally, I'm thrilled that they're offering Paprika peppers!!

Sue -- I would've never taken you for a shoe-gal. I own exactly 6 pairs of shoes in the basic color palettes and three pairs of boots. Guess I'd really rather be barefoot. LOL

Later, friends. Though it's good to be "back" at work I'm still moving slowly so everything is moved up 30 minutes.

Bye for now, but never forever (hint, hint, Marian :-) -

Martie

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Good morning

Marian - I think we've all enjoyed your birthday - thank you for sharing it with us.

Ei - its great to hear from you and completely understand life's priorities pulling in other directions. It concerns me that you feel we are "unhappy" with you for not being around. I think V put it well when she said

"it's nice to have a group of friends who wait for you when life pulls you away temporarily and then welcome you back with open arms when your time is more under your control. "

Some of us post every day, others once a week and some whenever they can - that might mean every few months. We still love to hear from everyone. There is no judgement going on, just a group of friends ready to share with whoever is around, and have fun Idylling together.

Mary

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Good morning all ! Wow, what a bunch of lovely 'cards' ! Thank you all.
    It's espacially wonderful that my BD Has drawn Eileen out!Hi, dear friend.
    Deanne, your card is very beautiful. A great combo.Thank you.
    Mary, I am envious of your Passiflora. I have wanted one for some time.Thank you.
    Ei, the Anemones and Cleome are so pretty, and the frame looks like the one that frames my paternal grandmothers's pic!(How did you know?) :-) Thank you.
    Eden, I 'do' love hydrangeas. Thank you.
    Sue, pics of your lovely gardens are all so beautiful.Thank you.
    Martie, those are gorgeous petunias...the type I look for each year. Thank you. Actually, I love most flower colors, but lavender is one of my favs. Salmon is another.

BTW, today is my Birthday...11-21-32 !

Yes Ei, The Golden Year's class will be singing Happy Birthday to me today( both men and women). We will all be sharing a Thanksgiving dinner following the class. Nolon will be going, also. He has another doctor appointment afterwards. I hope we can have his cough under control. I'll stop at a drug store and get more medicine for him. He isn't contagious, so we won't be endangering anyone.

I asked Tim to join is, but he said he would be too dirty since he will be on the job this morning. I really doubt that he will be 'that' dirty, but he is extremely picky about his appearance. We frequently have workers drop in for our meal, and they are very welcome. The class took up a collection to buy the cooked turkey and ham for today. One of the local grocery stores prepares them for us every year.

Marian

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good sunny morning here,

Ive got about a million things to do today to get ready for Thanksgiving and not enough time so Im going to have to make this short, as V says a fly by post, zoom zoom, hit and run well you get the picture. Today is my baking day and I need to make four pies, cranberry nut and pumpkin bread and anything else that grabs my fancy when Im into the flour and baking stuff. I found this cute recipe Id like to try where you take a bundt pan and make two pumpkin cakes then level off the bottoms and stick them together with frosting that is dyed orange and voila, you have a pumpkin cake. Too cute, Id like to try that but dont know if time will allow for that. Then I have to start scraping the layers of debris out of this house. Then we have to move all the family room furniture out of the dining room and squeeze it into the living room and get the old kitchen table stretched out and ready for company. I also have to borrow about four chairs as the final count for dinner will be 22.

I still havent finished cleaning out the garage and Ive GOT to get the tender stuff inside immediately if not sooner. The temps are supposed to go down to 18 degrees out tonight and last night was 26 so serious cold is here. Im hoping it doesnt stay cold enough long enough to freeze the ground because I still have not gotten the bulbs in the ground. How on earth did it get to be the end of November?

OK Im out of here and into the kitchen for the day,
    Deanne

Chelone, I love to set up and decorate my holiday tables nicely too but with so many people everything is mismatched. I wish I had enough of everything to make a pretty table but then I'd have to store it all so not worth it I guess.

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Thanks Mary! I didnt mean to make it sound as if you guys would be upset with me...its probably my own guilt talking. *I* feel bad that I cant contribute; its just where I am in my life right now. I really spend very little time on the internet anymore for personal reasons which I dont want to make public (but I think I sort of told you guys about it awhile back). Anyway, I knew Marians birthday would be coming up (though I wasnt sure of the *exact* day) and didnt want to miss wishing someone who touched my life, a very special Happy Birthday. I guess I was trying to say that even though I cant be here, it doesnt mean that I dont think of all of you with a smile and hope that life has been good for all of you and always wishing all of you the best. I treasure my time here with you and meeting you in person, well that was very special. I love all of the personalities here, all so different and yet all so much alike. I didnt want you to think that since I am not posting or reading, that I dont appreciate how special this place is, how special all of you are, how much I appreciate your generous hearts, and how much I wish you all the best. Though I know I sometimes I come across as a little sappy ("wearing my heart on my sleeve" is what Dad always called it) it always been important to me to let those who have touched my life know what they have meant to me....always important to me to acknowledge my blessings, of which I have had many, and knowing all of you would be on that list.

When life settles a bit as Im sure it will, I hope to be a regular again. In the meantime...just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you all. Eden...it was wonderful seeing your beautiful mom and her *beautiful* quilt. You have good reason to feel proud, as does mom...I wish her all the best. My sis has about 1 inch of thick, white hair and you know it looks absolutely *beautiful* on her. I told her how beautiful I thought she looked and now shes thinking she may just keep her hair very short! :-) I just love it on her and if I had straight hair, Id be tempted to do it myself. Bug rejoicing in the happy news...exciting times for your family and congratulations to V too. Whoo-hoo...I really dont know *what* Id do if I had won that kind of money. Well, maybe a beautiful stone or brick court yard with an outdoor fireplace would be top on my list (though not for this house) Or if I had a big lot like yours and that fire pit your building, I think I would make a Jens Jenson style Council Ring around it...Ive always wanted one of those! Mary, Eden and Deanne congratulations on your talks of course I wasnt surprised at all that you would be received so well. If I were in the audience I wouldnt want to leave either...LOL! Deanne your photography skills are just amazing and congratulations on all the new camera toys...you serve them well! :-) I often imagine how some day I would like to do my family room in all your bird pics put them all in Craftsman style frames and just fill the walls with them. I think it would be awesome (not teenage awesome but awesome as in splendid, grand, awe inspiring...my own little Deanne Gallery! :-)

Anyway, I did some reading to catch up, but I know Im not commenting on so much that touched me, so much I wanted to comment on (one of the reasons I dont like to post when Im away too long). But I am rejoicing in all the good things going on and sending all my good thoughts for the rough spots and wishing you all a Happy *Thanks* *Giving* with the ones you love. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY Marian...I hope you have a wonderful day!

Ei

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Hi Idylls! Im back! To chime in late I, too, am so greatful and thankful for friends, family, health and the friendship of everyone here. You guys are the best!

I FINALLY have everything planted, 140 bulbs put in the front landscape, the back garden put to bed, dahlias in the basement and the garage cleaned so DH can once again, park in his spot! I still have 8 bags of shredded leaves to spread around, tho. All my tropicals are under lights in the basement, xmas décor is up inside and out, half my xmas shopping is done and hosted my first holiday party this weekend! Phew!

Also, during these busy weeks we had our gutters and downspouts flushed out and "Gutter Stuff" installed. Its a low-tech, less costly alternative and seemed to DH and I that it would work and solve our problems with helicopters, seed pods and wasps nests. So far, it seems to be working as advertised. The helicopters sit on top of it, dry out and blow off.

I got roped into working the polls this year during the election to help bring the average age of volunteers down from 74 yrs. old, lol! It t'was interesting. I got to chat with former colleagues and catch up with them.

This fall has been really busy and strange. I still have a few things Id like to do in the garden such as move the forget-me-nots around and am hoping to do that this Friday. NO, I will not be shopping that day.

Speaking of which, Im feeling quite obsolete. GD wants an iPOD and other electronics for xmas. Were going out tonite to the stores to check out our options. To put it mildly, we dont have clue one!

Also tonite, is another township meeting about the proposed development of 442 acres next to our subdivision. The proposed plan is abnominable and will forever change this area. We dont need more retail, another bank, another drugstore, another shopping center (bigger than the one you guys stayed in when you were here). It is just awful and we want to make sure our voices and opinions are heard.

Ive been trying to catch up here but its almost overwhelming! But congratulations to V on her winnings! How exciting. And congratulations to T on the upcoming new addition! Bug, Deanne, fabu, fabu pics! Cindy, how great that your parents got a new van and new lease on life! Eden, Im so glad your talk went well but how could it not?!!! And it sounds as if your Mom is doing well, too. Martie, Im so glad your procedure is behind you and seems to have gone well. Sue, keep us posted.

Happy Birthday, Marian! Sorry I missed it. Hi to all. Thats all my pea-picken brain can remember for now. Gotta run and tackle that fuzzy bathroom floor!

Honey

• wendy2
    17 years ago

{{gwi:187439}}

Happy Birthday Marian!

Marian, I truly hope you enjoy your day. Hope Nolon is feeling better soon as well.

Hi everyone else! Been pretty busy here, and kids are using the computer for schoolwork (can you imagine?!) so I don't get a "turn" as often as I'd like. I also like V's thoughts about a group of friends who wait for you - I'm glad you guys are here!

I'm home "sick" today; after a day of snuffling and coughing at the office yesterday, SIL told me to take today off. She really wants me to rest up for tomorrow - she is leaving for Florida, so I need to be at the office, and able to talk! I tend to lose my voice when I get a bad cold; one time I worked for two whole days with no voice, SIL was out for a medical thing so I had no choice. The receptionist was my "voice" on the phone, I'd scribble notes or whisper what she needed to say. The few clients that came in during that time I whispered to, they were very patient. I even made one young man blush with my whispering - he must have been picturing that seductive perfume ad "if you want to capture some one's attention, whisper"!

Martie, I'm so glad all went well with your procedure, and you are getting back on your feet. I can't picture a vegan Thanksgiving, but I'm sure you'll pull it off. At our dinner, the whole bird stays in the kitchen, there's no room on the table - we just bring the meat on platters. I have to say that the stuffing is actually my favorite part.

I am enjoying all the pictures above - I love birthdays here! Deanne, your bird photography is especially stunning - such detail! What a fun new camera to have. I can't wait to see your garden pics next year.

Well, that is about all the energy I have for now, my head is starting to feel swimmy again. My fleece blanket is calling me.

I want to wish all of you a happy and healthy Thanksgiving. I want you to know that I am thankful for each of you, and for all the wisdom, gardening and otherwise, that I have picked up here.

-Wendy

• david_5311
    17 years ago

Picture gawker checking in. I did not expect to find much given the lateness of the season. But there are loads of great pictures. Hard to pick out favorites, but being a "bird person", I have to be in awe of Deanne's magnificent pictures of sanderlings. They are truly birds of the world, found on every continent except antarctica I think. Those in the western hemispere move back and forth between the northern and southern continents. One must truly be in awe of how these beuatiful little creatures, with their plantive peeps, can possibly travel thousands of miles across oceans and continents to carry out their lives. For me, their sight and their call notes bring back beaches I have been to everywhere, the Great Lakes, the Atlantic and Pacific, Costa Rica, Europe. Thanks for these great photos Deanne.

I love the others too, especially the Sedum angelina (Hi Michelle, great plant), also Marie's wonderful backlit picture of the romantic pinks and mauves and blues of the summer garden. I can't wait till that sense of rich lushness returns to my garden. Makes me think that I MUST come and visit you in summer the next time Marie, not in October or November.

David

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    17 years ago

Just a quick post to say....
    {{gwi:187441}}

Like Wendy, I've been battling whatever nasty bug is floating around at the moment and I have zero energy for anything!

I'm hoping the shed base will be finished today so they can start building it tomorrow - while the weather is fine! There has been vast quantities of gravel compacted into the site to make sure drainage is good and the site is level and stable. I feel sorry for the kid that has been running the compactor - he's probably thoroughly bored by now!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Boy there's nothing like a birthday around here to bring all the wandering idyllers home. Stick around, we have a couple more coming up in the next week or so. I'm with Mary, although there have been a few disagreements here over the years I don't recall anyone ever deliberately saying or doing anything that would offend anyone enough to make them think they need to leave. We only miss those who "disappear" and always look forward to their return.

I guess I should start getting ready for Thanksgiving dinner. I envy all you people who have your days free to do this stuff. Since turkey doesn't rank up there as one of my favorite meals I don't get too elaborate and serve the basic turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, butternut squash, dinner rolls and peas. Luckily my MIL still bakes all the pies. We only have 9 for dinner this year but that's about all I can accomodate in the diningroom. Can't wait til Friday...lol.

Last night I had a Peapod delivery but for the first time they left off some items and by the time I realized it the driver was gone. We need to go to the store still anyway but it's a good thing I noticed the lack of stuffing. That would not have been on my list and would not have been a fun discovery to make Thursday morning.

Tonight I am taking my first night off from working out in nine days. I have a pedicure scheduled for right after work. Gotta keep those feet happy. Martie, I would prefer barefeet also but since it's rarely practical I found the next best thing in Born sandals. I wear nothing but sandals from early May til about mid October.

Gotta run. Marian, enjoy your day!

Sue

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Afternoon all,

Im taking a much needed afternoon break. Well I failed in my mission. Here is it 4:00PM and Ive not touched the baking yet. Im going to be up late tonight it seems and I guess Ill have to beg Doug to do the grocery shopping. I wound up starting a cleanup on the second floor and it hadnt really been cleaned to the nooks and crannies in way too long (you know getting behind and under the washing machine and dryer etc.) The problem with starting something like that is it takes too long and when you are part way through it seems a waste not to finish up the project. Sooo the sitting room upstairs, laundry closet, my closet, and master bathroom are clean, clean clean maybe my allergies will stop bothering me so much since Ive taken about ten layers of debris out of there. I almost got the bedroom done too but I couldnt get the dratted mattress cover on by myself so I decided to leave that until Doug gets home and then ask his help to finish up the bedroom as well. Seems fair to me as he makes half the dirt up there anyway. LOL.

Anyway, I realized that I needed a bit of a sit down and made a cup of coffee so here I am. LOL As soon as this is done Im going to get some baking done. I think we are going to have to get take outs for dinner as Ill be too wiped out to cook. Thats my story and Im sticking to it.

Im so happy to see so many familiar faces here today. Wonderful to hear from David, Eileen, Honey and Wendy.

David, thanks very much! I appreciate your feedback on the Sanderling photos. Coming from such an accomplished bird photographer that is quite a compliment. They really are the neatest birds. Never still for a second following the water in and out with the waves on the beach. I could spend days just watching them. My next trip will be to Plum Island to do some more work with the new camera and lens.

Eileen, anytime youd like some birdie photos let me know which ones strike your fancy. I was thinking of you this fall when the Robins were in the Mountain Ash tree eating the berries. So great to hear from you.

Wendy, bummer about the cold! Hope you are well soon. I think of you often, in fact every day when I check my coleus under the lights I enjoy that gorgeous ruffled, chartreuse one you gave me cuttings of last time we saw each other. Do you happen to know the name? It looks like it is going to be a large impressive plant. Gorgeous!

Honey, so glad to hear from you as well.

Kathy, love, love, love the photos of your gardens. They are just beautiful. I was so tickled to see the pics of Nora Leigh! You have great taste in phlox. LOL

OK coffee break is over and Ive got to go and heat up my oven and get some pies baked. Have a great evening everyone.

Deanne

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Hi everyone

I'm cooking Thanksgiving for 10 on Thursday - we have good friends coming over so it should be fun. I do think though I should go buy a bird and the rest of the fixings before the night is out. I love roasting a turkey - I've found brining really works well to keep things juicy. I also have a great recipe for cornbread and andouille sausage stuffing. As we're dropping to 24F tonight I can also use the garage as an extra fridge which is a big help.

Once again, it was a real treat to hear from Cindy, Ei, Wendy, Honey and David. We just need Taryn, Brenda, Babs and Saucy and our roll call will be pretty well complete.

Hope you had a good day today Marian!

I think I need a cup of Deanne's coffee to give me strength for the grocery store.

Mary

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Good Evening everyone ! Wow, as I read through the posts this evening I could really feel this flurry of energy, all of Marians b-day wishes and the many reports of busy Thanksgiving preparations.My Thanksgiving will be extremely laid back this year, but on Sunday DS,DD and I are off to Monterey for two nights, and will celebrate DS's birthday with a visit to the aquarium there, some seafood, and maybe breakfast in Carmel. Monterey is a great little city -definately worth a stop if you are visiting Northern Calif...

Wendy, Woody I am sympatico with your sniffles, no one wants to come into my office this week for fear of germs which I guess is good- I get a little more peace and quiet that way !

I'm off to make dinner, even though I can't taste it or smell it !

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Good evening all. It was a good Birthday! It started out with us going to the Golden Year's class. Happy Birthday was sang to me, and a couple of other November birthday gals. The class was on being thankful ( of course). The Dinner was great, with enough food for Cocksey's army...:-)
    Afterwards we went to the Health Unit, and I finally got my flu shot! Then it was soon time for Nolon's Doctor appointment. He got a good report. I did some grocery shopping and we got home around four. We had been gone 7 hours. Although it was late for my nap I did manage to get one...which I knew I'd need so I wouldn't be dragging when Tim came. Around 6 PM a UPS truck delivered the meds for Nolon's nebulizer.
    Tim came around 6:30 and stayed until 8. The girls called while he was here, to wish me a Happy Birthday. All three took turns talking to me. They were at a restaurant waiting for their food to be served! It must have been a long wait, because we talked quite awhile. The last to talk was the middle one, Brianna, 11 years old. She ended her talk by saying she needed to get off the phone before they ate up all the chips! LOL! That girl loves to eat!

Eileen, you are so kind. Thank you again. You boost my spirits.

Honey, How great to see you back. I have been worried about you. Glad you are okay. You didn't miss my BD. It was today.

Wendy, I love those geraniums. Thank you.Sorry that you have been sick.

Good to hear from David (even if he didn't wish me a happy BD...LOL).

Woody, sorry to hear that you have been sick. I hope you get your strength back soon. Thanks for the lovely pic. It is a wild rose, isn't it?

I will go ahead and cook a Thanksgiving Dinner for the 2 of us. I enjoy having all the leftovers. If I am feeling really good I may ask some of the neighbors in to help us eat it. I have to take one day at a time.

The weather was ideal today. No wind, no clouds, and warm in the sunshine. It is supposed to continue that way through the rest of the week, with increasing warmth through Thursday. Would have been perfect for having the girls here. :-(

Marian

• david_5311
    17 years ago

Well Marian, I have to say that after I hit the post and sent the message, I did think of that. I am REALLY guilty of mostly just looking at the pictures. But I felt bad anyway. Even more now.

I have forgotten how to post pics here myself, and I can't do any of these fancy graphics the girls can all do.

But maybe I can send you a big BD kiss across cyber-space....

:o)

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

So nice to have people return here for holiday time! Cindy, I've been missing you! I think your approach to Thanksgiving is just fine considering what you've been through. It's the companionship that is important after all.

David, you and Jim are always welcome. So is warm weather!

Deanne, Plum Island brings back great memories of DD's university days. We all took a break out there. I remember her old BF discovering a beached whale there, a huge chunk of charcoal we retrieved and have used as a Christmas joke ever since, blue skies, birds and berries and grasses, trails and a neat bridge, heck, a really great spot!

I must go. It is 11pm and I leave for the airport at 4am. You think I'm excited? YOU BET!

A very happy week to you all!
    'bug

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

{{gwi:187442}}

• just_t
    17 years ago

Safe journey 'bug. Enjoy your time with your loved ones.

Marian, what beautiful cards you've received, both here and on the other garden site. A wonderful showing of caring and well wishes for you. I'm glad that Nolon is feeling better. I hope he continues to improve.

My best to all who are fighting illness right now. :o\ Hope you're feeling better soon.

Ei----love seeing you pop in!!!!! Miss you a lot and hope all is well in your life. I think of you often.

David, I enjoy seeing your name!

Honey, oh how good it is to hear from you! Tell your Tom that DH & I were thinking of him the other day......we're still laughing over his quality TP story---and I was scolded for buying an inferior product (didn't mean to! lol).

Hello to all......and I hope you have a very nice Thanksgiving, enjoyed with family & friends. :oD

T.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz