Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martieinct

Idyll #295 - Joy to the World

martieinct
17 years ago

It is so easy to feel gloomy at this time of year. Me, too. ... but isn't there always reason to feel some joy??? .....

Carry on ..

Martie

Comments (106)

• Marian_2
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Eden, I am glad you gave Ei the full info. Mine was very brief. Unless I'm looking right at the instructions I forget. I don't think my old computer had that option.

• chelone
    17 years ago

I meant to commiserate with Marian over a long, trying day. Nothing in the world cheeses me off more than ... w a i t i n g ... . I request the first appointment of the day whenever I schedule anything like the doctor, dentist, lawyer, accountant, etc.. If it's "last minute" I accept whatever is readily available and gladly accept calls to fill in cancellations. I'm OK with "hold", but don't do "call waiting" with friends (last come, first served? UNHUH). I sympathize with having to take Nolon in and the trouble with someone with an accent... that's hard for Mum, too. Mum takes Fosamax every week, Marian. She has osteoporosis; used to be 5'5" is now 4'9"! Chalk it up to a pack a day for 60 years, no weight-bearing exercise (due to respiratory impairment), and a diet that was uniformly lacking in essential vitamins/minerals and VITAMIN D. Please, please, please, do whatever your doctor advises and be extra careful when out in the yard... esp. when it's slippery! It's good that you've gone for a bone density screening, Mum goes every 2 years now. I hope today is better for your aches/pains.

I scooted out early this morning and shot over to my favorite nursery where I purchased another of those wonderful "plastic" urns. This one is the same, tallish shape of the one in the picture I posted, but it looks like rusted iron or brownstone. I did another arrangement in it and placed it outside the slider that leads from Mum's room to the terrace. I thought she might enjoy some seasonal ambiance from the comfort of her wing chair... she like to sit there, read, and soak up the sunshine through the glass... it's a convenient place for her to let the cats in and out, too. :) I've also toyed with the idea of putting some lights on the Hydrangea standard, too, and rigging them up to the timer that governs the windowbox lights. We'll see.

It's beautiful today, in the 50s! Rex and I played extended "ball" and he "helped" me as I cruised around the yard clipping greens for Mum's arrangement, the door sway I have to make, and the arrangements I like to place around the house (reminds me to soak the oasis, asap). I was thinking that the real trick to owning a dog is INCLUDING them in your most routine activities and requiring them to mind their Ps and Qs. Tired dogs are always easier to train and more willing to comply quickly, lol. Probably the same for kids.

The stories of toilet training made me smile. I remember a friend who was at her wits' end with her son. Couldn't get him to pee into the john... in desperation, she put dish detergent into the bowl and told him to "make bubbles". He never peed in his drawers again, lol. I love that you share those "kid things", otherwise, I'd never have anything approximating a clue!

So, Martie, NO TREE? hehehe... the helpmeet is the driving force behind the tree in this house, too. But I have to admit, I've really gotten into it in the past few years. I love buying ornaments (bought 6 good ones today, and got one free!), and I get a charge out of scrutinizing them and rearranging them. I HAVE to get a topper that will be less proctological for our poor St. Nick... ;)

It's time to sit on my can for a bit, methinks. And listen to some Beethoven, today is his birthday; he was born in 1770 and was subjected to dreadful abuse from his musician, drunkard father... . I'm particularly fond of the transition from the second to third movement of the 5th. Symphony...

• just_t
    17 years ago

I just came across this link for something fun to listen to.......it isn't new to the internet, but perhaps you, like me, would enjoy hearing it again.

• martieinct
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We're all alive and well, including the tree.

The conversation went something like this:

"So whadya think??? Isn't it gorgeous???"

"Yes, and it smells good, too. How about someone turn on the ceiling fan." (Sometimes I can be evil.)

whoosh, hack, hack, hack

"Someone shut it off!!!!"

The tree quickly came down, had the bottom 2' sawed off, and while the kids were spreading the boughs around the garden, the tree was reerected.

It is now a proud and manageable 8'.

Off to grill some steaks and get dressed for a quicky party we'll be in and out of.

Later!!

Martie, who is entirely envious of Marian's orchid. Name, please????

• chelone
    17 years ago

Chelone, entirely ignorant that it even IS an orchid, would like to know, too.

LOL, Martie; you routinely crack me up.

:)

• just_t
    17 years ago

And another one that may make you smile........

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

LOL-ROF...Martie, I love your continuing saga of the mammoth tree, espacially the 'fan' part! The Orchid is a gift from Ei from a couple of years ago. It is a Slipper Orchid, Paphiopedilum ( Nulight X Gigi ). Isn't it great !

LOL , Chelone, yes it IS an Orchid.
    And thank you for the commiseration. That is what I needed....;-)
    And for the report on your mum's spine problem. My word, you mean she lost 8 inches in height!? Now that is right down scary! I am only about 5 foot now ( used to be 5'2") I'd be a dwarf if I lost 6 more inches! Besides that, if I keep walking all stooped ( stupid ) over, I'm going to look like an Egor dwarf!

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Ei, I didn't answer some of your questions. Re: the walk-in, no I didn't offer for her to go first. After all, it was I who had an appointment, and I had already waited about 1/2 hour for the agent to show. I though it was rude that the walk-in didn't protest that I wasn't getting 'first billing'!
    Yes, I had heard that expression, but don't remember the entire story. I hate the thought that the poor baby had such dirty water to bathe in! We bathed in a galvanized tub, when I was a child. Our father and mother each had a separate time to bathe. We 5 children shared the smae water, starting with the oldest down to the youngest. That put me 4th down the line, and my DB was last! ( Maybe that is what is the matter with him ! LOL ).

• chelone
    17 years ago

Yeah, Marian! Mum and I share virtually the same shape she sported before menopause. I'm 5'5", and I'm too heavy at 150#. We both have fair skin and (had) auburn/red hair and "light" fraimes... . So let Mum be an example to you... . The only thing I've ever smoked has been "grass". I've always been active, never shied away from "hard" work, but I've been lax about taking vitamins and calcium + D. I'm not NOW, let me tell you! Ask your doctor about Fosamax, Boniva, etc.! if you don't ask they may not tell you. Don't let Mum's fate befall YOU. Please. ;)

Another one who cracked up at the "visual" the fan and the over-sized tree provided. Seems to me, if Miss Martie hadn't enough brush to fill windowboxes/planters before she ought to have PLENTY 'bout now.

Just wanted to add that this is truly an amazing group of people. Quite an extended family... . I'm proud and humbled to be considered part of it, frankly. Just wanted you to know. (you, too, Yeona... ;) or maybe it WASN'T you behind that curtain...

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    17 years ago

T- I finally went back and checked out the dancing elf link very cute! I just refreshed and now will have to check out the new link...

Marian be very careful with that hip! Nolon sounds like a handy sort of guy to have around stump removal and all his firewood activities are pretty impressive. It looks to me like he does things that he thinks will please you an inarticulate mans way of saying he appreciates you? (Ive come to the conclusion that it is a rare man who can find the words to say that but most feel that doing something they know/hope will please you counts for the same thing!)

Martie that sounds like a huge tree I hope you have LOTS of ornaments :-) And I hope you plan to post a picture of the finished splendor! I just saw the fan installment when I refreshed - you're a great storyteller!

I do know C. Montana can be a monster. It made repeated attempts this summer to take over the mockorange around the corner but got cut back each time. In the spring, DH will have to cut some of it out of the neighbours Purple Sandcherry. Its easier to see it when the branches are bare. They keep saying let it run because they liked the flowers, but they dont understand what a monster it could become. I was thrilled that it bloomed, since its not really supposed to be bud-hardy here.

I figure, while its in a very sheltered location, probably at least 1 winter in 3 will kill the flowers. In years when it doesnt flower, Ill prune it back hard. In other years, Ill just keep it within bounds by trimming off new growth that wanders too far from where I want to limit it to. Every couple of years Ill need to clean off the top of the arbour quite drastically anyway. You might have noticed that I have both group 1 (the Montana) and group 3 (Jackmanii superba) on the south gate arbour. The Jackmanii is planted on the front while the Montana is on the back. I cut the Jackmanii stems off at about 12-18" in spring and cut down the stems as far up the lattice as I can easily reach. But I cant easily clean off the top of the arbour because of the Montana and the roses being there too. Some dead stuff is going to start accumulating up there. Im counting on the Montana not flowering every year so I can get DH to go up and cut all the clematis stuff off (while, hopefully, leaving healthy rose canes intact). Its going to become a tricky maintenance issue at some point and it may eventually make me decide to eliminate one or other of the clematises. Time will tell

The New Dawn rose canes are getting very long and extending down the alley. I think Im going to try to put in some posts to make a rope or chain swag to tie them to. Have any of you made a rose swag? If so, Id love to see pictures and hear tips/suggestions about how to go about it successfully If I can get the swags set up properly, I may let the montana share the swag with the roses to give the montana some room to roam but make it easier to manage if it tries to stray.

Were feeling a bit Grinch-like here. No Christmas decorations up we may get around to it tomorrow. There are no small kids in the family here so that takes a lot of the incentive away re making a fuss. And, one of the odd things about being deaf - it makes me realize just how much the music even the in-store Muzak variety - contributes to the festive feeling. The complete absence of the music makes all the rest of the hoopla seem depressingly nothing special.

Yeonas concerns made me think about why I miss things when I skim and dont comment as much as I feel I should be to fully participate. Thinking about what I do when I skim posts, I figured out that I frequently skip over whole chunks of posts where someone has responded to someone else by name. When I thought about why I do that, it occurred to me that reading that part of the post feels a bit like eavesdropping! I know thats silly and it leaves me prone to saying Huh whats that about?! to myself where I later see someone comment on something interesting that I totally missed, and then I have to go back searching for the post that I missed

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Woody, when I respond to someone's post, I frequently add thoughts that are not to her in particular. Take my last post..addressed to Ei, I added info that is probably of interest to all of you.
    I like , and agree with, your take on what Nolon does, and why. I hope I can remember that, and apply it. If only I could see things in a differant light. I'm afraid my chronic pain, lifelong disappointments, and inferiority complex, has colored my view. I did used to be better at figuring at why people act as they do, and much more tolerant. Please God, don't let me become a bitter old woman!

• just_t
    17 years ago

I thought I'd share a few pictures.

The day began with a beautiful sunrise:

{{gwi:187849}}

Here are the newest goats.....Tall and Wide:

{{gwi:187853}}

The new backyard flower beds with the many devices that I'm using to keep/hopefully train the dogs to stay out of the beds:

{{gwi:187855}}

{{gwi:187858}}

{{gwi:187860}}

Recent elk damage in the front beds:

{{gwi:187862}}

and they stripped a plant they've never bothered before (I am not happy with them!)

{{gwi:187864}}

DH flying his RC helicopter...a few minutes after I took the photos of him flying, he came indoors to look up some parts to repair it. "One thing about helicopters", he said, "when you crash them, they just keep on running and beating themselves to death."

{{gwi:187867}}

T.

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Bows and bridges, tall and short elk, wisteria, elves, orchids, longhouses, bluebirds, back aches, rc helicopters, Tony Bennett, brick walkways, white wine Christmas, whoopie pies, exams and car maintenance, giant Christmas trees tumbling down, bubbles in the toilet bowl, olives both black and green and on finger tips, WHAT NEXT???

Well I hope to have a finished sweater to post one day soon. Maybe by Monday? In the meantime my DH has managed to accomplish much of what was on his "honey-do" list: mistletoe is up, 2 storm windows installed, rain barrels stored in the barn, the dock out of the pond, the Christmas tree is in its stand (though still outdoors), the hose put away, and more!

On my end, the Christmas shopping is DONE except for food of course. I had one of DD's wedding photos framed as a gift to myself too. Lots of work yet to do in food prep and cleaning up the guest areas, but bit by bit things are getting finished. Charlotte and I even have appointments at the hairdresser's for the 28th. (not the same one!) I must stain some quarter round for the new basement floor too before the kids install it.

Little DGS spoke to me on the phone yesterday and asked if there'd be LOTS of presents under the tree. I was honest and said there'd be a few for him but that after all, this would be a second Christmas for him. I said I hoped we could make a snowman if only the snow would come. He is a bit confused about how far away we live and the fact that our clocks are different.. He has snow at home. He asked if it is winter here. How can it be winter if you have green grass? Anyway, he asked if we could make a Spiderman snowman. We shall see!

He's bigger than Bella and Kenzie, but the excitement is still there. I'm sure it is for AJ and Ryan too. Having him come this year will make things very different for these two old crackpots. :-)

'bug

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Marian!That is a wonderful blue bird! What a nice composition with the lichen covered bark and the way the distant background gives the shot depth. I have always been fascinated by blue birds(they're just so BLUE)and have yet to see one in my lifetime so far. I think they like to live by Lake Erie which I don't visit often enough. I'm glad you put that up here.

YES Eden we do love you: )lol
    Chelone-hmm Ok I guess I can complete my job cliffhanger...but it will be pretty anticlimatic lol. In Aug. I started a job as the health aide at my boys' school. It's just 15 hrs a week but I'm on the exact schedule they are so when they are off I am too. At the moment I am in the middle of vision and hearing screenings and in a few months I'll be doing the scoliosis screenings. The rest of the time I tend to kids who need first aid for cuts,bumps,bloody noses and bruises. I also have to deal with sending sick ones home and figuring out the psychosomatic things kids come up with. Just on Fri. I had two girls walk in together(2nd gr.)declaring they feel like they will throw up. As I take temps they are giggling about exchanging phone numbers so they can call each other while they're home sick....Hello?! No fever? sorry you get to stay here dears. The big clue off is laughter-when you feel like tossing your cookies you don't usually giggle and smile: )...it really is rewarding and scary too since you never know what's going to come in the door.
    You'd appreciate that I sewed my own lab coat after seeing the ugly ones at the store-the supervisors at my placement facility perked up their ears when I said I would make my own coat...that could be a gold mine(they have over 400 employees plus numerous health/psychology associates). I already had two inquiries but I honestly don't have time these days.

So we found an Xmas tree! It's a cute little Canaan Fir and it's up and lit,now we just need the decorations-hopefully tomorrow. The Canaans are nice because they have softer needles and firm branches. I am always drawn to the blue spruces but they really are so prickly when putting the lights on...it's also safely away from the ceiling FAN!!! Oh Martie: )sorry But I did LOL.

Oh Dreeeema? Where are you? Even Chris is worried-he sees you every so often(with your cell pasted to your cheek) when he's zipping through the cafeteria at work but he suddenly asked me today if you still work at the university....what's up? Time to check in!

Hope the eastern idylls are having fun whooping it up!

~B

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Ive been loving all the great links. I even took time to paste my mug on the dancing elf.

I suppose about now the party at Sues is in full swing.

Ei, I love the blue and white elves and I loved hearing from you. I hope your holiday plans work out and someone steps up. Your floor sounds like it will be lovely. For anyone who wasnt at IU3, Ei is a fabulous decorator. Your elf dressing sounds like fun. I have a fairly old Angel also so today I bought some white feathers to cover up the lace that is over clear plastic wings. The plastic behind the lace has yellowed.

Chelone, good for you for expecting your DB to handle a little part. You really arent asking much.

Yeona, how wonderful to have a nice long "Yeona-style"post. As for the decorations, DS had trains, a mirrored disco type ball and a trumpet and DD had a couple of ballerinas and some cats along with the more traditional Christmas things. Another tradition is the dill pickle ornament that goes in the tree on Christmas Eve. The kids had as much fun looking for the hidden pickle as they did opening gifts. I guess I seem to be a violin as well.

Woody, that picture of the petals covering the ground under the wisteria is just so cool. I really like your arbor a lot also.

Mary, good to hear that Annie is adjusting to her teen years well. It can be a tough time.

Babs, I just love your sense of humor. Thanks for such a fun post. Allergic to wine, lets hope not! I just cant imagine how hard laryngitis must have been on you ;o) I can remember those years of wanting to believe but knowing what the reality was.

Martie I dont believe I mentioned what a great job Rich did on the walk. That has to have been the most fun tree erecting party I have heard of.

Marian, you are so right about finding joy in little things. Yesterday for me it was the sunrise that reminded of a huge navel orange.

T, Ive used chicken wire with success with the cats.

I just love hearing how Marie is getting drawn into Grammahood.

I love the screensaver idea.

After a day in the city shopping, Im shot. I believe the shopping is done, food is planned and most gifts are wrapped. Now I can relax this week right?

I love each of you my dear friends
    Michelle

{{gwi:187869}}

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Greetings everyonethere sure have been a flurry of posts the last couple of days. Its fun to keep up with everyones holiday preparations and traditions. DS and I had dinner together tonight and I am enjoying a glass of Hess 2000 Cab reserve that DD brought over today tasting room leftovers. Always nice to have a relative in the wine biz ! Today I started working on the guest room, which was a disaster area with c**p piled everywhere. I made some serious progress there. I also finished coat one of paint in the home office, and started the cookie baking . I decided to make Scottish shortbread. I think it is named shortbread because it only stays around a short time. DS and I have already eaten half of it !

Chelone, glad you had fun at your social engagement, and I would have loved that bue cheese.! When I was a child in the 50s blue cheese dip was an absolute staple of all partys. I cant think when the last time I saw it was ! One of our local restaurants does an appetizer that is a pile of home-made kettle cooked potato chips with melted maytag blue cheese. I love blue cheese. Bring it over to my house any time. And you are in a Beethoven mode tonight ? I have a 6 disc magazine in with Tom Petty, Santana, Camera Obscura, Elvis Costello & Allan Toussaint, and Squeeze.

Love the bluebird pic MarianIm with Babs, I have never seen one in person.We have a western bluebird out here . I do have lots of Blue Jays though.

Ei , we do have Kohls, but it is not close by for me . But how nice that you collect the bird ornaments. I will be extra vigilant and keep my eyes open- I would love to have some. I dont know if things are more expensive here- but real estate certainly is ! 20 years ago when I moved from So Calif to Nor Calif I noticed right away that plants are higher priced up here.

Woody, Ive never seen a rose "swag" as a trellising solution.. It sounds interesting.

T, love your goats! You sure have lots of great planting areas ready to go-your soil looks fantastic.!

So as requested , here are a few pics courtesy of DSs new camera..

The new path and arbor. I will prime and paint the arbor white t match the trime on the house.

{{gwi:187872}}>

DS and the arbor

{{gwi:187874}}>

The Fabulous Mantle Display

{{gwi:187876}}>

The sphagnum moss reindeer display

{{gwi:187879}}>

G'night y'all. Time to read a bit before I turn in...
    Kathy in Napa

• martieinct
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oooo laaaa laaaa, Kathy! Just beautiful. Your path is stunning! Did you just get the arbor or is it something new for the path?

Michelle -- Great picture and great decorating!

Don't elk have anything better to do at this time of year??? Aren't they related to Reindeer?????

Hi everyone else! This will be quick because:

Joy to the World, My Brother Can Go Out!!! It's only taken 16 months, but got word last night that I can take him out this morning to Dunkin' Donuts for a latte. A staff person will be coming with us but I know most of them and they are great people. This is major, folks, and I give DB and all his support folks every credit in the world for getting him this far. Though he can't get out of the car, I plan on taking him for a quick bunberry to see some Christmas decorations. They've given him 45 minutes out so I'm planning carefully. My Mom burst into tears when I told her. True Joy!!!

Hope all Idyllers had a great Saturday evening. Love hearing from Ei and Babs and Yeona. Where's Taryn? And Others???

Martie, off to the hospital with a bounce in my step :-)

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

TERRIFIC Martie!
    Charlotte concurs.

Must I get a haircut for Christmas?
    {{gwi:187881}}

Can't I go out for a doughnut instead?
    {{gwi:187882}}

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Good Idyll Morning

How FABULOUS to have so many lively posts and pictures. I love them ALL!

Babs - welcome back. Hope time allows for a few blabs over the holidays. It's too bad we don't work in the same school - frequent flyers to the nurses office are often candidates for the social/emotional program I run. We let DH choose our tree this year - a pine with long needles the children call "Hairy". It's a little harder to hang the ornaments, but smells fantastic and hasn't yet started shedding.

Michelle - you and Ric look wonderful and Christmassy.

Charlotte is looking a lot like our tree!

T - are those Elk or Bigfoot?

Kathy - your decorations are just beautiful and love the arbor with the pic of your DS.

Martie - time out with your brother sounds the best gift of all.

Hope Cindy had fun at her Friday party, and the NE revellers enjoyed Sue's bash.

I've missed many - but this needs to be quick. It struck me today I hadn't written our Christmas letter and need to get that done before the day is out. I also have my sister's knitted bag to finish, a holiday brunch and even a bit of cleaning to do. Need to skedaddle.

Hope Taryn, Drema, Jerri, Saucy, Brenda and perhaps even Cynthia will chime in too before the holidays are out.

Mary

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Today's blooms on my 'Ei Orchids' :
    {{gwi:187884}}
    I don't know why the pic has the 'ghost' effect ?? Maybe the shadows from the flash ? Or a shaky photographer...
    A third bloom stalk is on the left hand side of the Moth Orchid. Unless a disaster happens, it quarantees blooms well into the summer!
    My purple Dendrobium is still in bloom also.
    Four more Phals (Moth Orchids ) have bloom stalks, but will be somewhat later with their blooms.

T, great pics...lovely sunrise, wonderful beds ( with protection that reminds me of my beds ), and humorous story about your DH's helicopter. I hate it that the elk not only tramped through the new beds, but also snacked on your plants ! That is a bad bad thing !

Marie, you are one very busy lady ! I hope you don't overdo it. Your excitement is contagious. :-)

Why, thank you Babs ! I just pointed and shot ! No special tactics taken . I am surprised to find that the bluebirds are not more widespread.

Michelle...great pic of the happy handsome pair ! LOL on the "huge naval orange" sunrise ! We are having some nice sunrises and sunsets lately, but nothing that spectacular.

The Bluebirds are common here, and stay all winter. They come through in sizable flocks when berries are ripe on trees and shrubs. I have seen them gather to spend the night in our birdhouses in cold weather. I enjoy their 'song', but they can be pretty sad sounding when they lose a mate.

Kathy, I don't remember seeing the western variety in Idaho, but I wasn't into bird watching very much then. I missed out on a lot. :-(
    Your pics are really good. The path and arbor are great, and the interior decorations are lovely. ( The DS is pretty neat also ). :-)

Yey ! Martie ! I hope the outing with your DB went well.

LOL ... Charlotte...you are a hoot ! I am rather partial to hairy dogs...:-)

Mary , everyone in your household is so busy, and talented !

Marian

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Quiet here today. Are you all busy getting ready for the holiday? I finished my shopping today and just need to finish the wrapping now. I also assembled some of Bella's toys this afternoon. We're going out looking at Christmas lights in a little while. I always enjoy doing that. Then I think I'll come home, crack open a bottle of wine and get that wrapping finished. I wrote a nice long post commenting to all of you this morning and somehow lost it and just don't feel like repeating it all tonight. I hate when that happens! I was hoping we would have heard from the party girls with maybe a few pictures by now...

Eden

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Good Sunday evening-we've gone from feast to famine around here in the posting dept! Crossed yet a few more items off my list today. I only work two days this week so I should have time to get all done-in theory .The two days I work we have lunch dates with vendors so that will take a two hour chunk out of the day.!

Michelle what a nice photo in front of the tree !
    And 'bug love the doggie shots!

Marian, I'm jealous of your Lady Slipper. I lost mine to mealy bug this year. Grrr! I'm going to get another one though. I just love them . Mine was a very dark maroon color with spotted foliage. It was never very vigorous, only one flower per year.

Martie, the arbor is a twin of one that my late DH built for me to my design over a gate that goes from front to back yard. I had my worker dudes copy it. When I get it primed and painted I will plant Cl La France at it's base.We are expecting dry weather here for several days so I hope I will get a chance to do that painting project- If I don't do it now while it's dry it may have to wait till spring, as we are expecting and El Nino winter , which translates to lots of rain!

Eden, sorry you lost your post! I do mine in MS Word and copy paste it into the GW dialog box. Learned this trick from Deanne-it works pretty slick ...

Time to have some dinner and get in a little reading...hello to everone wherever you are!

Kathy in Napa

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Hi ho all! I just wanted to check in real quick. The party was a huge success as usual. Everybody must be getting old though because except for that party hardy couple Monique and Les, the house was a ghost town by 9:30. Deanne and I stayed up yakking til about 1:30 AM and were up by 8. We relaxed over breakfast then soaked in the hot tub. Deanne and Doug left just after noontime. Both Monique and Deanne took a few pictures so maybe there will be some to share.

Today was the first day in months I haven't had anything I had to do. I've gone from garden maintenance to fall cleanup to Thanksgiving to holiday and party prep. It's just been run, run, run. A couple of weeks ago I injured some tendons or something that support my right heel and have been having trouble walking. The smart thing to do is probably to stay off the foot but when it comes to sitting around I don't do well. Yesterday I was on my feet all day so the foot was not happy today. Anyway I ended up taking a nap this afternoon that lasted for hours. I don't even remember how long it's been since I've napped but I'm guessing years and years. Of course after the nap I worked in a stretch and Pilates workout but the treadmill, walks around town and stairmaster are off limits for now. Harumph!

So, as usual, another weekend bites the dust. Hopefully it's been as enjoyable for all of you as it's been for me.

Sue

• martieinct
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Happy Monday! And indeed it is. Got most of the remaining decorating done yesterday and just hung out with Rich. There aren't many days to do that.

My brother was amazing yesterday. The staff person who came with us was a huge guy - about 6'3" and at least 250#. My brother is almost that size so the entire trip started with a laugh about the humans weighing more than the car.

No interest in Christmas decorations. "I want to see cows." Okay. Off we went in search of cows and found some. It was fun and I'm hopeful whatever "better" exists stays for a bit.

Gifting this year has become simple. Small things. My fav so far is a donation to my fav charity in honor of the neighborhood kids and my niece and nephew to supply fruit trees to families in Honduras. On the extreme opposite end of the scale, found Pink Floyd boxers for Ky. Ho, ho, ho!!

Kathy -- How wonderful that you found someone to duplicate your arbor! I think it'll look great in white. Here's hoping el Nino is gentle this year.

Quiet day here yesterday. Hope that means that all are Relaxing!!

In advertising sales land the week before any major holiday is usually quiet. I'm hopeful.

See you all later,

Martie

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

A quick fly-by...

{{gwi:187886}}

Off to the vet's for cat food again. Then I hope a day of gift wrapping and tidying up around the pig pen.

I wonder if I can get the book on time this round? We shall see.

'bug

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

GOod morning

A quick peek in hoping for partiy pictures - perhaps later today?

Sue - the evening sounds fantastic and I can imagine how much fun it was yakking with Deanne into the wee hours. Good for you for taking a restorative nap on Sunday - everyone deserves one from time to time.

Martie - wonderful that your special time with your brither went well. I think small gifts are the best. I'm amazed at the excessive spending that goes on with colleagues and other families and doubt it brings any more joy than a well thought item.

Marian - your orchids are absolutley stunning - the Lady's Slipper is incredible and I loved the red orchid that was on my birthday photo. You have a real gift and I hope the flowers will light up the gloomy winter days for you.

Yesterday we had our delayed wedding anniversary celebration and went for the most amazing brunch at a large Italian restaurant. We took Annie and David along too as our time together is so limited. The buffet was everything you could imagine plus more, and included a whole leg of lamb amongst the usual meats, interesting salads, fabulous veggies, seafood, and many pasta dishes. The desserts featured both a chocoalate AND a caramel fountain for dipping - the kids (and adults) were in heaven. It was the most fun, festive time.

In the evening Annie had a party at her BFF house (best friend forever). They had great food, (it was a day for eating) a couple of games, and then the group went carolling in the neighborhood. But biggest of all, there were boys invited!! Annie hasn't been to a party with boys since we invited all of Mrs Hall's Kindergarten class to our house for her 6th birthday party. I think they all had a fun time together and I couldn't help thinking what a nice goup of young people they are.

Well, what I should be doing is getting ready for work - can you tell I'd rather stay home today?

Have a good start to the week.

Mary

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

GB - that is incredibly beautiful!! It came out beautifully and I'm sure will delight your DD for years to come.

Mary

• chelone
    17 years ago

T., I absolutely cracked up at the audio of the accident. I've listened to it a couple of time and the visual it conjures is just hysterical. I've only had to deal with an occasional deer raiding the perimeter of the yard, I can definitely see that elk could put whole new spin on a gardening experience. :/

Ei, the helpmeet and I have visited Colonial Williamsburg twice and it was a total blast. If you've a chance to do it, I heartily recommend it. There were some nice items in that catalogue.

Sue, will there be documentary evidence of Christmas revelry? (probably no drunken debauchery, though, huh?).

I hope all went well for Martie and her brother yesterday. It's been a very long haul for you and you must be absolutely thrilled with how far he's come.

Kathy, your walkway and arbor are very pretty; a nice way to welcome people to you home and spruce up the front yard. And I like the "fabulous mantel display" very much, too. I've been eyeing the top of the two bookcases I hauled out of the storage unit with new eyes...

I never seen Bluebirds here, either, Babs. (great shot, Marian!). Something sticks in my memory that they like open areas, typically the houses for them are positioned in fields. Congrats on the job. And I smiled at the notion that any little, snot-nosed kid could "fake you out", lol. Hang tough! our very own Nurse Ratchett, ;)

'bug, I think Charlotte could use a clip. She's looking sort of "sticky" around the mouth... sorry. I can't wait to see the sweater. No snow here, right now... and we were remarking this morning that we appreciate brown winters more and more with each passing year. ;) Sure makes walking the dog easier!

I did some shopping yesterday, and a most UNfulfilling trip, it was. I had my list, but had trouble finding the size I needed for the helpmeet's lined slacks. I settled for a less than desireable color, having verified there would be no more in the store before mid-January. I bought some wrapping paper and ribbon, and a few assorted kitchen items, too. We don't go crazy here; there isn't very much we need/want. My car is in the shop today (inspection and routine pre-winter service), so I'll "hang around" while the helpmeet heads out on his own Christmas foray.

So... here's the burning question: should I work this week or should I opt to take it off? Helpmeet suggests I take it off. If I do, I could sew and clean (which would be fun and fulfilling), if I work I could put the entire paycheck into my SEP account... thoughts/opinions?

Time to get rollin' on the day's chores.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Get your a** to work, Chelone. You can always sew and clean when you retire.

Happy manic Monday to all.

Sue

• just_t
    17 years ago

Good morning.

It is a brisk 24° this morning, the deck is furry with frost and I think I need a new battery for my car as these cold mornings make it more of a struggle for it to fire up.

Michelle, the photo of you and your husband is a lovely one. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Charlotte looks like such a wonderful dog. I enjoy seeing the photos of her and hope that Martie is able to share those photos with her brother since he got such enjoyment out of seeing her before. 'bug, the sweater looks great--what a lovely gift it is!

Martie, how great that your brother was up to an outing! Cows......a nice choice. I hope you were able to find some out in a big, lovely, green pasture.

Babs, your work day brought back memories of when I worked for our local elementary schools. During my substitute/fill-in days, I often was the health clerk and enjoyed reliving some of the moments with the children that would come in. It sounds like a very busy time in your life but I'm so glad you've carved out some time to spend at the Idylls.

I had no doubts that Sue's party would be a fun success. She and Tom have that hostess/host thing down pretty darn wonderfully. I have a coronary whenever I consider trying to be hostess to anyone other than my kids....

Both Kathy and Martie have beautiful walkways.

I'm enjoying seeing the Christmas decorations but haven't anything done here yet. If I keep putting it off for another 8 or 9 days it will be a moot point. I would be tempted if we weren't having all of the kids over on Christmas................ I was going to set up the 9' tree, but DH suggested the 6' tree instead. I went up into the attic to get the 6' and came down with one of our 3' trees. LOL I didn't bring down any ornaments or lights so multiple attic trips are still necessary.....and I am having trouble embracing the idea of a 3' tree being 'it'..........so I think I'll probably end up with the 6' or 9' tree. We shall see how much energy and ambition I can 'find'......

Marian, your orchids look like they are loving wherever you have them in your home and the care you are giving them. 3 of my 'Christmas' cactus' are either in bloom or have buds......I love seeing them bloom.

Well, instead of continuing on with remarks about stuff everyone already knows......I'm going to enjoy another cup of coffee and get some slippers on my feet. It is a cold one!

Oh! Chelone, it sounds like you could use some mental health days.......so I suggest you 'do whatever floats your boat' --- make it 'your' decision and then which ever way you decide to spend the majority of your day will rest easy on your mind.

T.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    17 years ago

Kathy the path and arbour both look good! Will there be a garden bed along the path? If youve already said, I missed it I did see that you are going to have clematis on the arbour (Ill have to look that one up) When we did the north and south alley gates and arbours, we stained/painted the wood before the structure was built. It was easier to paint the wood in the garage and then only had to do touch-ups after the wood was cut and assembled. Were doing the same with the shed trim. The guy who built the south gate suggested that approach it was a handy tip and weve kept doing it for outdoor painting projects ever since.

GB Great pictures of Charlotte! I love the hairy look but I can see that a Christmas trim might be in order. Misty is due for a hind-end shave today! (Doing her business gets challenging in winter when her hair gets a bit too long, so regular shaves on the back end are called for.:- ) That sweater is beautiful! I like the pointed ends. Your DD is going to love it and Im sure DGS will be requesting something for him too

Martie it sounds like you had a great outing with your brother! I heartily approve of his preference for cows over Christmas displays :- )

Chelone Ive long since given up on being a workaholic Id vote for the week off as the best option. What did you choose? What is a SEP account?

T I forgot to mention how great your new garden beds looked but it also looks like you need some serious fencing! DHs sisters first place in Banff had chainlink fencing around the front garden plus additional wire strung between tall poles, all to keep our the elk that wander through town there. Anything that grew outside the fence was neatly pruned off! It wasnt the most attractive of fencing but it was the only way to keep the garden in existence!

This morning the Ocean Gray shingle samples for the shed arrived. Its a bit of an odd gray I think there must be a fair bit of yellow in it. I laid the shingles out on the kitchen table with the shingles set at the 7" exposure and lined up gray color samples on one side and white paper on the other. The window, door, gable and eave trim will be white but I want the door to be a darker color than the shingles. Its not going to be easy to pick a door color Any opinions from you guys?

{{gwi:187888}}

{{gwi:187891}}

• chelone
    17 years ago

Woody, a SEP account is short for "Simple Employee Pension", effectively an individual retirement account (IRA) that has a small employer "match". Monies contributed to it are PRE-tax dollars, so contributions not only build retirement savings but also reduce taxable gross earnings. I'm one of those dogged New England/"ant" types who has always thought about the long winter ahead. Pulling into the collar has never been a struggle for me... on the contrary, "recreating" has proven the difficulty. :/ Mercifully, much of my "recreation" happens to fall into the category of work for many... gardening, working on the house, etc..

Our home was stained with a 50/50 mixture of Benjamin Moore's "Silver Grey" and a product called "bleaching oil". The siding has been untouched in nearly 16 years and needs attention. I keep hoping we could combine the house staining with a GARAGE, but helpmeet is dragging his feet... We've done the same thing with respect to painting/staining BEFORE assembly, Woody. Works SLICK. How about a nice teal or a plum for the door? for something brighter, what about red or a nice muted "pumpkin" sort of color? (We have Ben. Moore #712 on our door, the darker shades on the card are great... their palette now has names, but if you ask they will give you the name for #712).

2 votes from my most esteemed Idyll collegues for "blow it off". Helpmeet says the same thing... HMMM... only Sue recommends work...

'bug, the sweater is lovely! any chance you'll persuade your beautiful daughter to model it for you (and then sneak the picture onto this site for our enjoyment)?

Oh HEY! I had just finished changing Mum's urostomy appliance this morning and wanted to get it out with the trash. I trucked out the door (in my jammies) and was greeted by 4 women in serious outdoor weather gear. Big waves, smiles... they were conducting the Christmas bird count for the Audubon Society! They've always stood in the road to count, but last year I e-mailed the Society and urged them to come into the yard for a better look. I'm so delighted they did. I thought of you, Deanne and David! they were sporting some pretty serious camera equipment. And two of them "confessed" that they'd "stolen" some shots of the Christmas decorations, too. One woman said it was the prettiest display she'd seen in a long time. I asked her if she was able to detect my puffed up breast feathers... :)

OK, I've got to see what I can dig up to contain some more "seasonal" arrangements for the tops of the two little bookcases (thanks a lot, Kathy!). Speaking of books, I put the one for the group read on my Christmas list!

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just a quick post here to tell you what a great time we had at Sues party on Saturday. She and Tom are the host and hostess with the mostess!!!! Good food, beverages, company, conversations and the best of friends. Everything was perfect. I wish you could all see Sues house decorated for the holidays. It is marvelous. Every room is decorated for the season. Even our guest room had its holiday touches. What fun it was to visit with Les and Monique and have a late into the evening gab fest with Sue. Sunday AM we got up to leisurely sip our coffees over good conversation. Sue even went out and bought Starbucks French Roast coffee beans for my breakfast! What a pal! A nice soak in the hot tub then we headed north to NH. I surely wish youd all been able to join in on the fun.

So many lovely photos here recently! Kathy love your mantle display and that arbor is terrific!

Marie, are you sure you dont want to knit me one of those sweaters???? That is right up my alley. LOL LOVE it!

Michelle, you are looking wonderful! Fantastic pic!

T, those beds are looking great even with nothing planted in them yet. I cant wait to see them in bloom.

Marian, lovely orchids!

Eileen, I dont know if that is a problem with dogs as well as cats. Im wondering if you could Google it.

OK my lunch hour is over and Ive got to get in gear and get some stuff accomplished.

Have a great day all,
    Deanne

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Hi,

I was doing a search for Christmas gift threads on GW this morning and stumbled upon the numbered Idyll thread #294. Then I went to the Perennials forum but didn't see it and finally realized it must be under the conversations section. Now I see there are quite a few numbered Idyll threads and I am just wondering what they are all about? Also if the latest one is #295, could there possibly be 295 of them?! [g] How did they get started and how long have they been running? I'm figuring there must be some neat story behind them. [g]

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Phew! Wrapping things takes a lot of time. I used to be more careful about it, but now I just try to get it done! I'm about half way through.

Well Deanne, I won't say "never", but I'm booked with booties and baby things for the next while! Now that I have the right needles and things, it would make sense to make this pattern again. It might be boring to repeat it right away though.

Just had one of those ultra long sales pitches on the phone. Now how did I get into that? All I wanted to say was GO AWAY!
    Time for a break.

• chelone
    17 years ago

Prairie! how wonderful to see your name here!!! Yes, indeed there are a TON of "Idylls". They've been on going for a few years now. Any and all are welcome, though, I grant you, it may take some time to "get up to speed" and get a feel for the "regulars" and the overall theme. Jump right in if you feel so inclined. :)

No pressure, Prairie., but should I WORK or take the WEEK OFF? An unbiased perspective would be greatly appreciated! Step up to the mike, take a stand, introduce your wonderful self and help me out...

;)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Chelone I reconsidered...screw work!

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Chelone, another vote for blowing off work from here. I say take some time for yourself and enjoy your week.

Marie, I love the sweater. It turned out great and dd will love it too. Bet you're excited to give it to her. They'll be there to visit before you know it now!

Kathy, your holiday decorations are very nice. Love the walnuts in the vases holding the branches. Nice touch. Your walkway turned out great too. Your ds looks to be about the same age as mine. Quite a few of us have sons around 20 or so. Drema, V, Martie and David too.

Deanne, your color talk notes came today. I can't wait to have time to sit down and go through them. Thanks!

Babs, glad you've had time for a couple of recent posts. How's Chris's mom doing? How about an update on what AJ and Ryan are up to these days. Bet they're excited for Christmas to get here too!

Martie, how great that you got to spend some time with your db!

T, what great soil you've got going now. It makes me want to dive right in and get planting!

Bud has an appointment at the groomer on Friday. Looks like all of the Idyll dogs are getting spiffed up for the holidays!

Norma, if you're out there pop in and say hi. Miss hearing from you!

Breaks over, back to my vacuum! TTYL, Eden

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Careful Eden...NOT the vacuum!

Prairie, yes! Dive right in!

Chelone, it's unanimous. Whoop it up! :-)

Whoosh....I'm outa here!
    'bug

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

I was hoping for party pictures.

My Christmas cactus isnt blooming for the 2nd year. Maybe Marian will tell me what Im doing wrong.

Yesterday I put up my grandmas nativity. When I was a kid, the thing was to buy nativity pieces at the dime store and they were sold separately. I remember my mom adding a few pieces each year. Grandmas was one of these. The pieces have the price stamped on the bottom ranging from 10 cents to 29 cents each. It is somewhat mismatched but that is part of the charm.

Marian, the orchids are lovely. I cant tell you how many times I have had one in my hand at the store and then put it back asking myself if Im crazy.

T, Id go for the 9 tree, Jamie will love it.

bug, the sweater turned out great, the perfect gift for an expectant mom to stay warm and feel special.

Kathy, your arbor and walk turned out great. I love your interior decorating as well. You have a lovely style.

Hmmm, clean and sew or work Id choose work personally. LOL

Mary, the anniversary celebration sounds very nice. I would have taken the kids too. The years with them are so short.

Martie, Im so glad that you were able to spend time with your DB. I hope things continue on a positive path for him.

Michelle

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Hi Prairiemoon, and welcome ! I like your name. I was born and raised on an Idaho prairie. I am the elder here....the old fogie! :-)

Marie, your sweater is a lovely gift for your DD. It will keep her and her precious cargo nice and comfy.
    On second thought...I agree with Chelone about Charlotte...:-) Her mouth area does look rather 'sticky', lol.

Sue, I am envious of the get-together at your house. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who poops out around 9:30, but when Tim is here, I am more like you and Deanne.

Michelle, my jungle cactus never fail to bloom, but I am having lots of problems with die-back. I put most of mine outside when warm weather gets here, but both the ones that go out, and the ones that don't, bloom. I think the cool fall temps, and the shorter daylight hours are what prompts them to bloom. Are yours getting artificial light?
    (T, does yours get artificial light?)
    About the orchids...go ahead and get crazy! Who knows, you may be an expert at growing them.

Chelone, I like the 'birders' story. Did they figure out what species of bird you are ? LOL
    My advice about your week's choice is to chose the one that you will enjoy the most.
    And you are correct about blue birds. They definitely prefer open areas. They were getting less frequent in our yard, but with the loss of the 2 evergreens, there is more open space!
    Sorry about your unfullfilling shopping trip. I am with you on the 'not much that we want or need'.

Woody, I am with you on the choice of cows versus christmas decorations. :-) I'm afraid I have no advice about your project. I don't have much of an eye for such things. I know it will end up lovely. You have that knack.

Kathy about the meally bugs on your orchid. I will keep my eyes open for them. Scale is what I am having trouble with.

Martie, I am so happy that your day with your DB was so great. I like his choice of what to go see.

Mary, mmmm, your delayed wedding anniversary brunch sounds so yummy. Annie's party sounds fun. I hope my same aged GD gets to do things like that.

T, I loved the accident report. I had never listened to anything like that on the computer before.

Deanne, it is kind of you that you are not picturing your gorgeous orchids. :-) I am sure they would put mine to shame. ( smile )

Marian

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Good Afternoon Idylls!

This will have to be a quickie, as Ive been out all day with mom. I took her shopping for some Christmas presents. Well, mom mostly sat (nice store with chairs *everywhere* and great customer service) and I did the actual shopping for her, just showing her stuff and getting her approval. Anyway, I think mom had a good (though exhausting time). On the way to the mall I was playing a "40s station for her and she really enjoyed hearing "her" music. Xavier Cugat sp? came on the radio playing a jazzy rumba and I started pretending I was rumba-ing, while driving the car...LOL! I think she was a little nervous at first (worried that I wasnt being careful with my driving dont worry I *was*). Anyway, she finally loosened up and started giggling...you should have seen the twinkle in her eye...for a moment I got a glimpse into her past...the twinkling eyes and bright smile, for a fleeting moment I saw her at 18! Well, I guess somewhere buried in all of us mature, dignified woman a carefree young girl still lingers! :-) You know, the nice store we went to had me thinking. Like I said, it was great because there were chairs everywhere to relax...even at the checkout counter which certainly went a long way in making the experience more pleasant for mom. But what I was thinking was wouldnt it be nice if these big department store could offer a service....like a doorman (but not so formal) that could sit with your elderly mother, while you ran to get the car or wait for her while you go park the car? Thats always such a worry of mine whenever I take mom out. She cant walk far so I always walk her to the inside doors of the store before I go to park the car. My heart is in my throat the whole time Im looking for a parking space though, with thoughts running through my head like "what is someone singles her out as vulnerable, knocks her down and steals her purse, or what if she gets faint or what if she trips while Im parking the car, now days with the dementia getting worse I have the added worry that she may start to wander off if Im taking too long. Heck, Id be willing to pay some reasonable amount for that service, just for the peace of mind and added security.

Hey thanks Eden & Marian! I am relieved to see the instructions are so easy too Eden. Please thank Brad for me too, will you? :-) Ill give it a whirl tonight, but first Ill have to load the pics up in "My Pictures". I have them saved right now in Image Expert.

WOW Marian! I cant believe the ladys slipper...she looks wonderful *and* happy. Well I do believe I heard her breath a sigh of relief, when I was shipping her out to you...LOL! Im so glad that you are enjoying them...it really tickles me that they bring you pleasure. You really do have a gift. I have *never* had an orchid repeat bloom for me and I have finally given up on them.

Woody, I love Chelones suggestions, especially the teal or plum! I was also thinking periwinkle might look lovely too (or maybe not, it could be its just cause I love the color periwinkle...LOL). Anyway, funny, after I closely re-read your post, I realized that there was only *one* arbor. The arbor looks so different through the season, depending on what plants are in focus and with the gate open in the one pic and not the other, I just assumed you had *two* arbors! Anyway, your plantings are just beautiful!

Deanne Well, I did exactly as you suggested. Very scary stuff indeed. I gather that it is fairly uncommon for cats to get cancer from injections, but it can and does happen. As far as dogs are concerned, while I didnt get any "hits" on the internet re dog vaccination and cancer, I did find some articles that said there is a possible relation to autoimmune hemolytic anemia in dogs receiving innoculations. According to one the articles, which I linked at the bottom of my post, there is reason to question annual immunizations (except of course rabies, which is required by law for dogs). Interestingly, my vet has had Scout on an "every 3 year vaccination" and previous to going to this vet, I use to have titer tests done to see if he still had immunity. Interesting article and I definitely plan to show it to my vet the next time Im in and ask what he thinks. Anyway, heres a little excerpt from the article "According to Dr. Schultz, protection against canine parvovirus and canine distemper from successful vaccination is long term, probably lifelong. (Kirk's Current Veterinary Therapy XIII; 2000; "Vaccines and Vaccinations: Issue for the 21st Century", Richard B. Ford and Ronald D. Schultz; (Kirk's Current Veterinary Therapy XI, "Canine and Feline Vaccines," Phipps, Schultz; R.D. Schultz, "Considerations in Designing Effective and Safe Vaccination Programs for Dogs," May 2000; (Schultz, "Duration of Immunity to Canine Vaccines: What We Know and Don't Know."). So then, *why* do our vets recommend continual immunization? Anyway, the author does state that he is not saying immunization is a bad thing, just saying that we should be more informed. Also, the lepto virus, Ive never given to Scout because he had an adverse reaction. Interestingly in the article it states that lepto is a common "problem" shot and that it is not very effective anyway, since there are so many strains. Okay, Ill shut up now... Anyway, glad you all had such a great time at Sues (of course I knew you would).

Michelle, neat story! You are right, that *is* part of the charm and the special memories! Funny you brought that up cause that is the sentimental gift I received from my mom this year. :-) My mom gave me her nativity set! She made it when I was a small child and its just beautiful...all hand painted, There is Mary, Joseph & the baby Jesus, an angel, 3 camels for the 3 wisemen; a cow; a donkey; 3 sheep; and even a goat. Hey T Ive got a goat now too! :-) I was so touched when she gave it to me (I remember that it took her a whole year to make the whole set and I know she was very proud of it as she should be)....I will cherish it always! BTW, thats a lovely pic of you and Rick. And your jacket is so pretty! Thanks too for the compliment Michelle. It was such a nice thing to say and you really made me smile! I guess sometimes we all need to hear stuff like that, even if I've never been able to handle compliments well! :-)

Speaking of T...that *is* a gorgeous sunset and I smiled when I saw Tall and Wide...simple names and yet so clever! :-) Your beds are looking gorgeous. I agree you have *some* beautiful soil, in fact, it would be an insult to your soil to call it "dirt". :-)

Kathy, the mantle is stunning. I really love the what you did with the vases too. How clever to fill them with walnuts and then add the twigs....so simple and yet so natural and well designed...BRAVO! I may steal that idea for next year! :-) The new walkway and arbor are really lovely too.

Gorgeous sweater Bug! I love the colors and the "cut" of it. Funny about Charlotte...that little cutey! The other day when you were mentioning that the two of you had "hair appointments" I had a visual of Charlotte sitting under the dryer in a Beauty Salon...LOL! You know she is so human looking, she could probably pull it off! :-)

LOL Bug...hope Eden's wearing her crash helmet!

Uh oh, Pauls pulling up and the pork roast is in need of checking. TTYL! Ei

P.S. Hi Prarie Moon! You're going to love these people! :-)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

I don't vaccinate my dogs at all except for rabies every three years which is required by law. Instead I have blood titers done to check protection levels for distemper. Lepto is not usually given to miniature schnauzers for the same reason Scout doesn't get it. If your pet has a reaction to any vaccine it should never receive that shot again. I believe all of the veterinary colleges in the US have now changed their vaccination protocol from every year to every three years. In most cases, puppy shots and one year boosters are all that should be required for most dogs for life. Not only are annual vaccinations totally unnecessary but as Ei's article link points out, over vaccination can lead to serious health problems such as autoimmune disease. Like most things it's all about the money folks.

Michelle, you raise a good point about the sewing vs. cleaning vs. work. Work is looking better to me again but if you ask me tomorrow around noon I will probably be back on the screw work platform.

Woody, I can't help with the colors. I'd be looking at bolder accents. As soon as it gets warm we're going to paint our shed a caribbean blue. I haven't decided on the door and trim color yet but I can guarantee they will be unconventional...lol.

Tonight all the remaining party leftovers got tossed. We've had them for dinner two nights in a row and I've made myself a few lunches. We sent lasagna home with a few people. I brought a load of sweets into work this morning and will make split pea soup from the hambone. What's left of the meatballs and sauce is destined for the freezer. Back to normal eating tomorrow. I don't know about everyone else but I get sick of too much rich food.

Hi Prairiemoon! Welcome.

Sue

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Dare I show up thrice in one week? I just wanted to vote for loafing in Chelone's case...: ). As EP would say,'Go for it!' So Chelone I'm trying to figure out how you are getting so much time off and picking and choosing what days to go in-this is slow season? What,no one wants sails for Christmas? : )
    Thanks about my Nurse Ratchett distinction...it didn't take long to figure out which symptoms go with what antics. I'm actually so nice that many kids tried at the beginning of the year to fake me out but it's pretty interesting how those kids showed up less and less as time went on. I bored them?lol.

Sue-how confusing is that to have the Dr. tell you yes to surgery and then no!...I'm glad you've had the sense to investigate further-imagine how many people have major things done to them that are uneeded.Scary thought.
    Good to hear the party was a success(like it wouldn't be?lol)and everybody had fun.

Michelle I tried to paste my mug on the elf too but it didn't work.Oh well
    That is such a nice photo of you and Rick.
    Today was the first day in over a week that my voice sounds normal...I will have wine tonight! If Chelone can loaf I can drink wine.

And speaking of-how lucky you ARE Kathy to have family in the wine biz! Hey you have a nice undulating path! I like the curve of that and you must show pics when you plant that area! Same goes for Martie's path...between Kathy,Martie and T we'll have tons to watch in pics for 2007.
    Now that mantle mirror is unusual-is that an antique? Very pretty holiday displays!

T I appreciate you efforts to steer the dogs away from your beds-all looks well and it's going to be so fun for you to finally plant all those areas!(And fun for us to watch I hope: )
    I bet elk have much bigger stompers than our deer-I do hear you about them trampling over new beds-I try to think of it as them aerating the soil-: )
    I want to get a goat! My neighbors would hate me lol.

Marie that sweater is amazing-how lucky that you can knit so fast!(hey I can't knit a stitch so to see a whole complete sweater-it overwhelms me) Love the colors too.

Marian-it really is amazing(I'm using that word too much!)how birds like their specific settings. There must be something about where I live-more dense forest? that isn't inviting to the bluebirds. But I can go 1/4 mile down the street to an old abandoned horse pasture and the birds there are completely different than in my yard-bobolinks and others I haven't ID-ed yet. I wish I had more time to explore birding(sheesh like I need another thing to do lol)but someday I want to.

A big reason I am here tonight is that I have to stay away from Chris(!) He's got the big interview in two days and he just started practicing his presentation so of course I am nervous-he is calm. I will be a wreck by Wed. The thing lasts from 8:30 am till 8:30pm because he has to be interviewed by the complete staff,give a presentation then go to dinner.

Sue did you watch any of Survivor this time? I did here and there but I always liked Yul and I'm glad he won.

Hi Prairie! That's neat to hear how you stumbled upon us. we're just a bunch of gardeners who started talking about our Idyllic lives and one thread has lead to another bringing us to 295 so far! Some of us have even met!

Time to go test the wine!

Babs

~Babs

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

A frosty Monday hello- we are expecting several nights in a row of mid-20s temps , it was mighty nippy when I left for the office at 6am today. Since I only drive a mile to work the car heater barely even gets a chance to kick in ! I brought my cymbidiums in for the night. Dont want to loose the spikes. The ones that were out in the gazebo do not look very good today. They are supposedly hardy to 28 degrees so hopefully I will have just a bit if foliage loss and theyll bounce back.

Thanks for all the nice comments on my arbor-path-christmas décor pics..!

bug , that sweater is so pretty- love the rich colors maybe we need a pic of you modeling it to get the full effect !

Chelone- funny you should mention the top of the bookcase-thats exactly what one of my employees and I did in our office. Very dramatic ! Hey, what better praise than to have the Audubon Society compliment your houses finery .
    As far as work goestis the holiday season- So take a holiday! Im working 2 days this week and then off till the 28th.However, I've worked at my company for 20 plus years so I get mega-vaca days. All I am taking off is paid or comp.

Wendy, I am going for a cottage garden type look in my front yard. The Cl La France I spoke of is a rose not a clematis- the Cl I abbreviated for "Climbing" Sorry for the confusion ! La France is considered to be the first hybrid tea rose, but still has quite old fashioned looking flowers (pink) and is extremely fragrant.If I recall correctly the rose was introduced in the mid 1800's. I may however plant the clematis on the opposite side. I already have several daylilies ready to go , and along the path will be the daylilies, Geranium "Rozanne" , Silene uniflora, and I will be planting several roses , and dahlias as well. I am also very partial to both oriental and asiatic lilies and will probably stick a few in here and there-I have lots in my back garden.
    And youre right, I should have at least put the primer on before the arbor was built. The timing didnt work though, and the redwood had been out in the rain so it was wet.
    I would opt for a dark door color to make it stand out as a detail- especially if the door will have features i.e. raised panels etc. That gray does seem to have a warm tone to it, so that color at the bottom of the first pic might be good.

Eden, I did pomegranates in the vases last year but they are just to expensive this year so I opted for walnuts. In fact , the walnuts are all I purchased, the greens are redwood from the park , eucalyptus from behind the grocery store, extra branches from the Christmas tree , and the sticks in the walnuts were gathered on the river trail across the street.. I moved into several areas of town, felcos in hand. I am a Christmas greenery pirate! Ahoy matey And yes DS just turned 22.

Thanks Michelle for the nice remarks. I had a nativity scene when I was growing up with little ceramic people and sheep etc .Dont know what ever became of it..

Aw cmon Marian, you may be an elder, but you arent a fogey !

Ei, what a charming story with you and your Mom! You know when I was a child, growing up in Los Angeles (pre-mall the 50s) my Mom would take me shopping downtown, and there were doormen at the better department stores like Robinsons and The Broadway, and Bullocks Wilshire, and there were elevator operators, and women wore gloves and hats. I found the underground parking lots to be unspeakably exciting, and the little alleyways between the dept stores had flower sellers .
    Feel free to steal any and all mantle display creations ! I have used cranberries in the vases also, but you have to put the sticks in first one does not want to pierce the cranberries.

Prairemoon, nice to see you, I am relatively new here myself and this is by far the most enjoyable forum Ive ever participated in in many years on the internet. If you are so inclined tell us a little about yourself and where you garden ..

To anyone I missed a happy evening-

Oh and T , I talked to my BIL in Portland tonight and looks like all us west coasters are getting 20s at night , no rain , lots of frost. He talked to out mutual friend Jimmy in Palm Springs and he is getting temps in the mid-30s down there too. How are you faring Yeona ??

Nite all ! Kathy in the Napa Valley

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Yo Babs, the mantle mirror was my first Christmas gift from my late DH the year we were married.DH and I were married for 25 yrs before he passed away in '03 so that is how long I have had the mirror. I think it is English and I think it is walnut and from the late 1800's. I also think it was attached to something at one time-maybe a vanity or sideboard. This was also our first antique and we have collected many more since then. It is a very special possesion to me.

And you should always show up thrice in one week ! Maybe even a daring quatro !

Kathy in Napa

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Okay...just a quick pop in...I had to share this with someone! :-) So Paul is watching a football game (Cincinnati vs. Indiana?) anyway they go to the sportscasters box and there is Matthew McConaughey talking with the sportscasters. Im looking at him when all the sudden what pops out of my mouth? "*HES* *CUTE*! I look at Paul in shock! OMIGOSH...I couldnt believe I actually said that *out* *loud*...LOL! I was so shocked that what I was thinking in my head came out of my mouth, that I couldnt even make a recovery...LOL! Paul says "Well, hes okay, but I think he could use a shave"...LOL!

Anyway, a few other things I thought of that I wanted to share with you guys....First, I wanted to tell Martie how happy I was that she had such a positive day with her brother. Its so nice to hear such news and made me smile to think how you must have been feeling. Thanks for sharing that.

Also, have any of you watched the T.V. series Rosemary & Thyme? My BF Anita recommended it to me (says she imagines it is us...LOL)! Anyway, its about these two woman who own a gardening service and they end up solving mysteries. Anita *really* loves the show *and* the scenery. So I checked our local listings and its playing here beginning on December 31st on Channel 20 WYCC, starting with "And No Birds Sing". Cant wait to see it!

Also, wanted to introduce you guys to the newest member of our family! :-)
    Bert II:

{{gwi:187894}}

{{gwi:187899}}
    Sadly the first Bert (you guys met him) passed away last summer and I was surprised at how much I missed him. The new Bert is acclimating well and already comes to the top of the vase when I tap it to get his food. :-)

Also thinking of Eden...I have quite a brood of squirrels that come to visit here now too. I was trying to keep this one guy from eating at the birdfeeder, so I started feeding him peanuts...well he blabbed to the whole neighborhood and now I have about *6* regular visitors. They arrive about 12:00 for lunch! :-) Im getting a bit attached to one I call Nappy Head...he comes right to the door looking for me. He is *so* cute! If hes standing on the deck and I wave to him he comes running to the door! :-) The other day it was so funny! He had been to the door at least 3-4 times and I decided that was enough, so I started ignoring him. Suddenly I look out the slider doors and there he is...I am *not* kidding you, with one hand leaning on the windowpane and the other on his hip. I *cracked* up. The only thing missing from his act was the foot tapping...LOL! Here's a pic of him...Not a good one. I think he's a pretty old squirrel (for some reason) and he's got a scar on his head that kind of makes his hair stick up (although you can't tell in this pic):

{{gwi:187905}}
    Okay, one last thing. Now be forewarned, I *know* I am not an artist, but anyway, as I was telling you guys we are re-doing the kitchen and I needed some art for the walls, but since money is a little tight these days, no funds to buy anything. Anyway, I decided to create my own little "art" projects. So here are the finished products. Well, they're not going to be hanging in any gallery...LOL, but I do kind of like the fact that they are so personal.

This is a "memory" box. I call it the "Things that I Love" box! :-)

{{gwi:187909}}
    I did my decoupage thing and if you look closely you will see that there is a picture of Paul, me, my DS and Scout inside the two decopage pieces in the box:

{{gwi:187913}}

The other project was based on the fact that I do love the four seasons and wanted to express them somehow. So I combined that idea with a poem Ive loved since I was a child. Sorry the pics are a little blurry...I'm lousy with the camera, but if you can't read them, it's that poem "Trees" by Joyce Kilmer..."I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as a tree", etc.

{{gwi:187917}}
    {{gwi:187919}}
    Can you see the nest of robin's eggs at the top? :-)
    {{gwi:187920}}

{{gwi:187921}}
    {{gwi:187923}}

Okay, well, just wanted to share that, I will probably take them off tomorrow, cause by then Ill be embarrassed that I showed them...LOL!

Anyway, I still need one more "something" for the long wall in the hall and it needs to be big, so I was thinking of taking one of those Marimeko? (sp.) cloths and having it stretched and framed. Either the Tuuli one in brown (under Botanicals large scale if you go to my link) or Blowing Rock Night or Day cant decide which one (under large scale if you go to the link). If you do go to the link, let me know what you think of them. :-) I think I can get the Tuuli one for $45.00 or less, but dont know the price on the Blowing Rock ones.

http://store.txtlart.com/tuuli1.html

http://store.txtlart.com/blroni.html

Okay, thats it for me....

The Beatles - Golden slumbers

Once there was a way to get back homeward
    Once there was a way to get back home
    Sleep pretty darling do not cry
    And I will sing a lullabye
    Golden slumbers fill your eyes
    Smiles awake you when you rise
    Once there was a way to get back homeward
    Once there was a way to get back home

Good Night All...

TTYL! Ei

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Hi Babs! :-) I'm so glad you dared. Wish Chris Good Luck for me! :-) Ahem, actually, I'm thinking "Hot Lips" myself! ;-)

P.S. I *loved* your story about shopping with your mom Kathy...I remember feeling just like that when my Aunt took me for the first time to Marshall Fields in Chicago during Christmas time!

Well, I'm off to bed, it's been a fun, but exhausting day...Good Night All!

Ei

• just_t
    17 years ago

Goodness Ei but you are talented!!! Just thought those up and made them?! They are wonderful!!!! BertII is very pretty and the squirrel ---- well, for a tree rat he is kinda cute.....just like Eden's Tim. ;o)

Thanks for the remarks on the flower beds. The 'soil' was that truly stinky mixture of chicken...stuff, lol, and various other composted materials. It is covering up some pretty big pieces of ground up wood/branches. I haven't dug down to look at how well it is breaking down, but I'm guessing it is not a pretty sight and will not be broken down enough to put plants in it without pushing it aside and replacing it with a true 'soil'. The beds 'look' nice, but it is just mulch covering up a mess of huge shredded wood. I still have my doubts about how well it is going to work out. ;o)

Tomorrow I am getting to go with Jamie & his parents to see if he is going to have a brother or a sister......He says it is a brother so we'll see if he is right or not.

T.

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

OK Ei, I just think your collages are awesome.Think about it...not one other person in the universe has them.They are totally unique. They aren't at Target, they are not at Wally's,they aren't at Macys
    And then you throw in the Beatles..it gets me to thinking, so are there other Idyll Beatlemaniacs out there?? Did you see them in concert ? Did you go to the airport ? Do you remember thier birthdays ??

Thats all for now...
    Kathy in Napa