16 years ago

2008 is approaching quickly :)

Carry on.....

Comments (100)

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi everyone

I spent a busy morning making 8 baguetttes, several round loaves and a tray of chocolate eclairs - all in miniature. My minis are moved around from room to room depending on the season and clutter in general. I first got into making miniatures when Annie was 9 and thought she would enjoy playing with a dollshouse. I had longed for one as a child but they were way to expensive for my family to consider. Instead I satisfied my longing with an English tudor style house I made from a pattern and ply wood - my first foray into carpentry. As furniture can be very expensive I read lots of books and spent hours making tiny upholstered sofas, chairs, rugs and drapes. Annie and her friends were captivated by the house for several years - it was a real magnet whenever kids came over to the house, boys or girls. Annie's interests have since moved on but I still love making tiny things and find the appeal of creating a lifelike world in minature endlessly absorbing.

The rest of the day was equally pleasant - we all went out for Indian food for lunch, then I visited with a friend while the children had play dates. Afterwards I drove to another friend's for tea by the fire and enjoyed catching up on news. While I was gone Annie made split pea soup with our ham bone and gluten-free bread sticks which are baking as I write. I'm looking forward to the PBS show "The Seedy Side of Plants".

Denise - your photos of Aloes are fantastic. What great plants they are.

Kathy - loved the snowy scenes and your intrepid snowboarder!

Norma - which guitar did you buy? How exciting. The pond is unique indeed.

Cindy - hooray on the last of the debris being removed but too bad houseguest was so ungracious in her departure. I'm guessing she's just not in a good place to express her gratitude for all you have done.

Monique - we leave our Goodwill run till a few days before New Years too - I guess we share a tradition LOL!

GB - I've always thought books make better gifts than electronic games. I'm sure Skyler will come to appreciate them as the gizmos loose their novelty.

Oops - supper is served - need to run

Mary

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Things forgotten under the duress of a dog climbing into my lap...

We started Netflix a few months ago and have enjoyed it. The turnaround time is fantastic - Marian, I know you're more rural than I am, but I can drop a movie at the PO at 4:00 pm, get an email at 10:00 am the next day saying my movie has been received, and have a new movie the next day. I only have the 2 a month plan, so the price is about the same as the video store but it's so nice to have a movie on hand when the mood strikes.

I always leave the holiday things up until after New Year's. Since we often have friends over on NYD, clean up time is usually the next weekend day.

Now I think I'm off to search cyberspace for a new area rug.

V.

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

Some more elf fun...

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Hello everyone.. :-)

I wanted to stop by and wish everyone a Happy New Year. I have not been keeping up with all the posting but I do drop by and try to scan the photos and read a few posts every now and then. I noticed the title of the thread Kathy started titled Open House for Lurkers...lol...cute one Kathy. So I am a little late, but last day of 2007 seemed like as good a time as any.

I enjoyed all the Christmas photos everyone has been sharing. Especially the series of old photos. Just love old photos. You were all so cute when you were little! :-) We had an enjoyable Christmas this year and still have our tree up. We usually take ours down on New Year's Day, but this year, we may wait for next weekend. Maybe. [g]

It is snowing here in Massachusetts this morning again. Nothing too difficult to deal with though. Enjoying having a snow cover on the garden, which we haven't had in the past few years. We went into the winter with a water deficit after prolonged drought over the summer, so a record breaking 30 inches of precipitation this December has helped out. We visited one of our local ponds yesterday and first time we have seen the water level back up to normal in awhile. Very encouraging for next year's garden.

Imagine tomorrow is 2008 already!
    :-)
    pm2

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Monique, that is hysterical!

I love the sunglahses on Chelone.

V.

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Add us to the list of those with decorations still up. Just yesterday the shepards arrived at the creche, but the wise men/kings are still a few rooms away. Pineapples have been added to the lampposts for an abundant New Year, and because yesterday was the 5th day, I got gifted with golden rings for ears. Replaced the drooping roses with some bright yellow lilies so have red and yellow as the New Year theme. Why not?

Bella will always be safe with Randy around, for sure. LOL Nothing like a big huge uncle to snuggle.

I've loved hearing about the gifts and quips from the Idyllkids, and was a bit taken back that Annie was making dinner. I still see her as a "girl", but I guess not! May I borrow her?

Oooooh, Kathy. Welcome to the magic of a snowy Christmas Day! I'm absolutely jealous of the BIL's front garden. Stunning in all seasons!

And when I saw Denise's aloe pics, I thought "Red Hot Poker" (which Kniphofia ???) that are a hoot to plant in New England for some temperennial punch. Who knew aloes did that? Not me!! Hmmmmmmmmm, yet another reason for a good, strong greenhouse.

No Heronswood catalog here :-( Lots of seed catalogs, though, and Rich was downright tickled when he got one addressed to him. Must've put the Territorial order on his credit card last year.

Despite their "rare and unusual" being less so than times past, I still use the WFF catalog as a reference. Ditto Forest Farm. No major perennial purchases are planned for this year, as it will be dividing mania for just about everything this season. Except for Hellebores which are a necessity, and a yet-to-be-determined something pyramidal and probably evergreen, purchases will be haphazard and "gottahaves".

I can kid myself and my bank account, right????? LOL

Though I'm not going to plan a "formal" Logee's trip this year, if anyone has a free date and wants to swing east, let me know.

Good to hear from PM2!! Also great to have Monique around more often, she being one of the voices that drew me here when Sue suggested I stop by. :-)

At work today and no phonecalls or emails. Early day out???

Best to all -

Martie

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Ready and awaiting carpet cleaners - like everyone else, they only give you a 4 hour time slot to appear....

Monique - I Love that - how clever of you and I concur that Chelone's was the very best pairing!! They did this for a couple of practice group lunches at my law firm -- if you can imagine a few of the very self-important rainmaker attys doing those dances -- 'course the associate who adapted and showed/emailed it around, got told she must have too much free time on her hands...
    I just love the idyll version - but how come no Les/Monique showing?

V - love your movie marathon idea - I havent seen the last HP movie; maybe I should go check it out today; I still visit Blockbuster - it's about 1 mile from my house, no netflix membership -- but most everyone I know loves it.

Guess I better go pay some bills while Im thinking about resolutions....

Cindy

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good morning everyone,

Well weve had a lovely relaxing week here. Yesterday Doug and I did a quick drive down to CT to visit with Monique and Les to have a holiday visit and exchange gifts. Sue joined us there and we had a scrumptious dinner. Appetizers of shrimp cocktail brought by Sue, marinated mélange of olives, and some delicious sweet and sour meatballs. The dinner was grilled filet of salmon stuffed with cheeses and herbs, sautéed brussel sprouts with arugula and bacon bits and my favorite Eggplant Provencal. Yummy!!!! Well after a break to give dinner room to settle Monique fixed individual molten chocolate cakes served hot and melty from the oven! Incredible. What a treat! I have to say that Les and Monique are two of the best cooks on the planet. We didnt stay too long after dinner as we were watching the weather radar closely all afternoon and it looked like the snow line was approaching a bit too close. We wanted to beat the storm home. All in all it was a lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Les and Monique bought us the cutest terra cotta cat planter. Ill have to get a photo of it when I get my camera out.

Doug got up this AM and cleared the six inches of snow off the driveway but it now looks like we are going to get another foot of snow tomorrow and then the temps are going down to the single digits. Brrrr. What a winter. If this is a preview of January and February I might have to go into hibernation. It sure is pretty outside right now though as this was a pretty heavy snow and its sticking to all the branches and its a winter wonderland right now.

Cindy, I cant believe how badly your friend treated you after all the help youve given her. People never cease to amaze me. So sorry. So instead of a thank you gift or note you get a kick in the pants. No good deed goes unpunished it seems. Anyway, at least you have your space back and move onward.

Kathy, love those rock gardens! Gorgeous.

Chelone, loved the pics. You look like Rosie the Riveter LOL. That salon will be well lit! I guess Ive missed the discussions as to what you are going to use the space for? It sure would make a terrific painting studio.

Norma, that pond photograph is beautiful.

Eden, Im jealous that youve gotten all your decorations put away. Im planning on starting that today.

Marian, beautiful puzzle! Looks like it should be framed.

Mary, I just love the Boulangier! I cant imagine how you made a tray of mini éclairs! How did you do the signage? Very nice! BTW let me know if you need any craft paint as Ive got gallons of it. Doug can drop it off sometime. Have you checked with Dan about his schedule yet?

Hi Martie, V., PM2, and everyone else I didnt get a chance to talk to today.

Have a safe New Years Eve all,
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

The gang is off to the airport, depositing friend Jean there for her flight back to Ontario. The last 2 days have been wicked, with strep throat for her and DD. Sarah had 103 temperature and both sides of her throat infected. The antibiotics are slowly making things better. Reed was most annoyed that Mommy wouldn't feed and hold him, but fortunately she had a frozen supply of breast milk on hand. It is just so contagious...and we are washing our hands ever so frequently, bedding too! Glad Skyler is away this week, though he did drop by for a moment to say hi yesterday.

We are in the process of building a 4' x 6' mural for Reed's room. It is just so very amazing that I want to share it. It is a bit like a quilt, with 216 squares that are glued to a backing. The end result is a richly coloured Noah's Ark theme with all sorts of animals made by various artists.

Yesterday DSIL and I went to Michaels.(Is that craft supply store in the US as well?) We bought him a large new canvas and brush to create a painting for their diningroom. Something tells me he thinks he'll have free time as a house husband. Hehehehe, I don't think so, but maybe. Also got nice new calendars for 75 cents each!

I'm off to look at elves now. Enjoy 2007 while you can!!!
    'bug

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Back again, reminding myself that I'll enjoy a day off much more when it's warm :-)

Marie: Sounds like you're making the best of a not-so-pleasant situation. Still, to be able to hold Reed and ear him giggle in person must make up for the sickness. The art projects sound interesting. Where's Skyler's Dad (know he is a DSiL but also that he's not jumping in to "help" Skyler understand certain things???) in Skyler's behavior patterns? I know that when Ky's Dad and I split we sat and had a loooooooooong discussion, suitable for Ky's age, about our expectations of him. He knew point blank that blackmail was never going to work. Hope DSiL and Skyler's mom can be grownup enough to do that for him.

Monique: Have to wait to get home to see the latest Idyll images but am looking forward to it. Did you notice that around the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree there are garden ornaments that look very much like your blue spiky ones? You trendsetter, you!

Deanne: Thought of you this morning whilst pouring coffee into "our" (and V's) sized coffee mug and throwing in an extra shot of espresso.

Eden: Saw on Roses (think it was you, anyway) about your Fragrant Cloud purchase. It is practically an unmatchable color which is one of the things I love about it. It jumps!! Last year I used a very pale yellow marigold variety underneath that worked. The fragrance is worth everything.

Cindy: I waited a bit to talk about your houseguest's departure, thinking that at some point she would wake up and realize that she is a very lucky woman, indeed, to have had such an unconditional place to go. Long sentence to say -- not even a thank you is a travesty.

Michelle: Forgot to tell you to tell Kenzie congrats on the potty progress. Have you put yourself on the national "do not call" list? It's easy, free, and applies to politicians.

Wendy: How can you live where you live and not be just a bit excited about the Patriots? After not watchinbg football for years, on Saturday watched the UConn bowl game AND the Patriots and now I'm done for another several years. LOL

Denise: Tried your son's cell once and got a female voice??? Kyle was up for a drive north to meet him and show him around if he wanted..... Let me know how long he'll be east.

V: Best area rug deals, IMHO, are at Marshalls. What is it about a new rug that just completely spiffs a room?

Cynthia: Glad Katie is up to 8 minutes. Her progress actually seems quite quick to me. Are the other dogs pretty much respecting that she's not 100%?

Kathy: Amongst the "stuff" you'll surely find some treasures. Your trip must've been a great impetus to keep going. Did you have a chance to look at any sample properties?

Chelone: Rich wants to know when you can come to work for him this summer: You do the cutting, he does the hanging and mudding, I do the sanding, he'll take us to Sugarloaf Nurseries and get us each a tree of choice. Sounds like a nice place for negotiations to start. LOL

Sue, Saucy, Honey, Ei, Norma, Woody and anyone I missed - it's good to actually have the time to say HI!!

During the next few weeks I have the unsavory task of finding a lawyer to take care of my brother's affairs. The Probate Court did not accept my resignation, and will not until I have someone to appoint. It seems that very few attorneys will take cases like his because of the very low commission involved. So, again, the onus is on the family to get things moving. What happens to people without families??????

Anyway, after speaking with a few offices whom I wouldn't let take care of my goldfish, talked long and hard with my parents. I'm now crunched in the middle, wanting what's best for my brother's long-term care but also knowing full well that the prospect of getting hit probably isn't going to ever stop. So, can I be conservator at a distace? No sibs are stepping up to the plate, with my full understanding. The saga continues.

Was just invited to lunch with some of the younger women in the office and it's always fun to vicariously be 25 again :-)

Martie

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Netflix customers here for years, however DS/Mitch set up the account and commandeered the list early on, so looking for something relaxing to view at the end of the day involved choices ranging between Herzog's Aguirre Wrath of God and a political documentary. In truth, I intro'd him to Herzog but had no idea he would run with it! I had "intense" viewing choices at his age too, just not now, after 12 and 14 hr workdays. One of his ex-girlfriends introduced us to Spalding Grey, which would be a fun marathon, Monster in a Box and Swimming to Cambodia. Was it just 2007 he passed away? Not sure.

Eden, we have been plowing through the Curb Your Enthusiasms which I'd never seen, up to season two.

My mom excitedly informed me that there's a movie out we will both enjoy, Atonement. I said, Mom, it's rated R. She, crestfallen, "Are you sure?" It's no fun taking my mom to an R film, whether for language or "adult" situations. She groans aloud and makes outraged comments, "Oh, this is just terrible!"

Cindy, that is such great news that you're "cleaning house" and wonderful to hear Chloe is back to normal.
    It's occurred to me that with all this snow cover the perennial gardens will be fantastic this year, right?

I went through Plant Delights too, and pretend ordered Canna musifolia. WFF has been recycled already. PD said they had their best year ever last year, which I bet has something to do with Heronwood's change in ownership =(

Marian, I did look up your member page and read the url and must say I was completely ignorant of that particular aspect of the holiday controversy, so thanks for mentioning that. Reminds me of the ongoing strict constructionist controversy over the U.S. Constitution.

The strep throat sounds awful, the dinner at Monique & Les' divine. I'm wondering if the antibodies in the breast milk will save Reed from a bout with strep throat, or isn't the magic cloak of invincibility for infants up to six months? Vaguely remember something of the sort.

New year's res: work less, walk more, possibly squeeze in volunteer work somehow. One bit of gardening info that stands out from last year: The outdoor fireplace/water basin will become a permanent feature as a dipping pond for container plants. Much easier to scoop the water than run the hose off and on -- with the added bonus that our heavy mineral water "softens" sitting in the basin.

One more aloe, this an immense candelabra of bloom:

{{gwi:188107}}

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Martie, just missed your nice, newsy post, what a treat. Mitch is in NYC for Jan. at least and would love to meet up with Kyle. Don't know why the roommate is answering his cell. I'll give him a bell and let him know Kyle's interested.

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Good afternoon Idylls.

Martie, the situation with your DB sounds like a nightmare, hopefully a resolution can be found soon.
    I work in the industry and register for the do not call the minute it came out. This is from the FTC website: Placing your number on the National Do Not Call Registry will stop most telemarketing calls, but not all. Because of limitations in the jurisdiction of the FTC and FCC, calls from or on behalf of political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors would still be permitted, as would calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship, or those to whom youve provided express agreement in writing to receive their calls.

Denise, wow that is a fabulous bloom on that aloe.

The Idyll elves are sure having fun. I wish I were one.

'bug, we do have Michaels here. I hope you take pictures to post of the mural.

Deanne, as usual the Idyll meal sounds yummy.

Lunch is over, back at it.

Michelle

• denisez10
    16 years ago

New-found insight into spontaneous bonsai, when potted Hebe pinquifolia pagei withers away from full, lush dome to two miserable poodle-dog twigs. Cut away all lower dead growth and voila, instant potted hebe standard.

Michelle, we did the do-not-call registry and stuff still leaks thru. Completely escaped me until you mentioned it that you're getting the full political blitz being in Iowa. I wonder if any candidates showed up close to your farm.

P.S. Martie tell Kyle area code is 562.

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Martie - not only can my little girl make dinner, but she just dyed her hair for the first time. She chose a deep, chestnut brown close to her natural color, permanent (yikes!) and it looks great. Needless to say I was very nervous until I saw the end result, but I believe leaving some room for self expression and individuality is important during the teen years. Annie also did a decent job cleaning the bathroom after though I'm puzzled as to why there are a couple of huge globs of red dye at the base of the door!?

I learnt to cook independently at Annie's age and as long as I am in the house encourage her to try her hand at new things. Being the head chef and totally in charge is far more motivating than just chopping or stirring for someone else. Having to eat a Gluten free diet too, I believe knowing how to cook is vital to enjoy foods otherwise unavailable.

Today I found out why it is important to have coffee before leaving the house. Determined to beat the rush at the grocery store I was in the shop by 6AM. After picking up everything I need for tomorrow's brunch I checked out, headed to the door and went for my keys. They were no where to be found. Eventually I decided to go to the car and there they were, car unlocked and keys in the dashboard. Whew! Fortunately folk who get up early to grocery shop aren't tempted to steal cars. I celebreated with a strong cup of coffee.

Tonight we are all going to the Ski resort 40 minutes from here. Annie and David will ski till 10 PM while DH and I hang out in the lodge. We'll watch the candlelight parade and fireworks and be home to see in the New Year, probably from the hot tub. Then our final fling of the festive season, a brunch for neighbors and friends. We're having 4 families and there will be 6 kids aged 3 months to 16 years. It's going to be hard getting back into the work routine again:0(

Mary

• chelone
    16 years ago

This is my THIRD try today to get on line. We received about 4-5" of snow here, but it's the heavy, "heart attack" kind. I suspect there are lines down further inland, as the power had clicked off about 3 times today. Each time I have to reset the modem and the router. Trying to my patience...

I get only the vacant blue screen when I click on Monique's link. DaHn it! I have used Wilt-Pruf before, but don't think it made an appreciable difference in the "shelf life" of the cut greens, personally. I do make an effort to condition the greens before constructing the decoration. I cut the ends of the boughs, then smash them with a hammer and plunge them immediatly into tepid water. I allow them to soak for 24-72 hrs. and then assemble the decorations. I find they deteriorate faster in biting cold (which is also very "dry" here) and fair condtions. As one would expect, the needled evergreens tend to "keep" best. But I DO love boxwood!

Thanks for the explanation of Butterscotch's dietary habits... I have been reading "Henry VIII, The King and His Court" (Alison Wier) and like the book Kathy is reading, it is chock full of details and frank language that can really "get your attention". The helpmeet and I have laughed aloud at several of the franker accounts. One more reason we love history. And another reason to be appreciative of Kenzie's newly acquired skill... :)

In addition to cancelling the Heronswood catalogue, I cancelled the latest (unsolicited!) Pottery BaRn catalogue today. I understand the NEXT one may already be in the "pipeline". Next on my "hit list"? LAND'S END and LL BEAN... could it be that I now have the scourge of print advertising on the run? nah... couldn't be.

Norma, I am interested in your guitar, too. And I meant to tell you how pretty the shot of the pond was. It DOES look like broken glass and it's a great shot.

Time to hit send before the power flickers again!

(Wendy, you and I should get together the next time the Patriots play. I would rather watch paint dry than sit through 2 minutes of a football game... )

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Salvation Army has no idea of the multiple levels in their name. I have boxes of stuff everywhere, and can't wait til Thursday night when I move the 'furniture-to-go' to the dining room for pickup. I was going to send some area rugs too, but decided that when the attic is less full, I'll simply lay them on the floor up there for insulation.

'Equal time' has arrived for dogs. I have a collection of framed photos of "cats through the years" on the sunporch. Found a (labeled!) box of frames in the attic and filled them with pictures of the dogs. I had ordered maybe 30 prints a few weeks ago. Sitting at a table in my office making the decisions on what photos to put in what frames I suffered a severe twinge in my spine while doing less than nothing. I tried therapeutic waters (bath at 2PM) with the new Select Seeds catalogue but no improvement. I may have to repeat the therapy. It would be ok if Katie weren't dependent on me for 'rides' up and down the stairs.

Cindy, I checked out your chairs (I think) and like! My dining room furniture is probably 30 years old. Everything is sturdy and will last another 30 years. I just want something lighter. Something that's more like a breakfast room. White with handpainted birds would suit me. I'll never find it. Chairs need to match each other, I just don't like table/chairs to match china cabinet/sideboard/other.

Denise, that Aloe picture makes me so happy! My back spent an hour in the back yard today, and the view improved a little after I cut down asters and rudbeckia and lily stalks. As I hobbled around I wondered if I was walking like Katie.

Deanne, I was quite proud of my own impromptu get together last night (turkey pie, spinach and cranberry salad, winter squash and marble cheese cake) until I read the menu that you folks had! You guys all know how to cook!

Mary, you are such a sensitive mom. When I was growing up, I had to wait until my parents went out of town to dye my hair. Seems like I had to go back to the drug store a few times when the results surprised even me.

Michelle, caller ID should cost about $3 per month. If it's more than that, you might consider changing phone companies if you have choices there. I switch every 2 or 3 years when I see a really good plan. Just switched back to Verizon in November. Something like $29 a month for a year for unlimited long distance, voicemail, caller id, and 2-way calling. It will go up after 12 months and I'll compare my options then.

Eden, here are photos of "stem holders". These are in the living room, over a server/bar area, my back was too iffy to stoop down and take photo of the ones running the length under a row of cabinets in kitchen. Pier I always has these in stock.

{{gwi:188108}}

More to comment on, but it's getting dark and I want to take advantage of the decent temps out there to do more clean-up. Hi to all (Martie, hope you enjoyed your lunch out!)

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Chelone, have you used the website link below? It's a quick way to get rid of unwanted catalogs. Although I do a lot of online shopping, I do most of my browsing online and have canceled almost all catalogs.

Company's coming soon and Dh has not finished picking up his stuff. I've run out of ways to ask. Right now he's playing with his portable GPS...

We have a quiet evening planned at home with another couple, their DD, our DD and my niece. Tomorrow we're having family over early then a Rose Bowl party to attend. A group of Illini alums have convinced the USC grad in town to host us! I hope we're not embarassed.

Happy 2008 to all! Looking forward to our '08 get-togethers.

V.

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

An early wish for a very very Happy New Year to all --

look what I discovered at a local nursery today (needless to say it came home w/ me....).

{{gwi:188109}}

--Cindy

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

{{gwi:188110}}

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

Adorable Cynthia! Happy New Year to you and your pups too!

• saucydog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Idylls.

We're preparing our New Year's Eve feast: all hor d'oeuvres for tonight. Everything gets laid out and left to eat at one's leisure.

Tomorrow will be a beef tenderloin with Hoppin' John (good luck) and spinach (money) for the New Year. My mom shipped in the black eyed peas and corn meal from TN :) There's a little country ham in the box, too. Good to start off the New Year with southern comforts :)

Cindy, I will say "thank you" for your friend. That was a very nice thing that you did and she's probably in such a bad way that she can't see that and might not. I love your aloe!

Count me in for a happy Netflix recipient. I do the 2 per month....one is for kids and one for Nick and I....we get on the computer and plan them out.

V., I forgot to tell you a while back that one of my proudest moments was cooking T-day dinner for my family. I read a letter from my Grandma recently that mentioned it. I'll bet your daughter felt the same cooking for you.

Mary, right on with letting them have some freedom to express. Jake's growing his hair out and I love it! When else in your life can you be so carefree? Jake has a few meals up his sleeve, too, but he's at such a clutzy stage that I often wince and cringe....

Deanne, Sue, Les, and Monique - great menu! I am going to start a Tower Hill plan starting next week....I'll post more as I sort out the details. I think the woman I work for has an "in" there....we'll see.

Time for me to go and pull things together.....

LOL, at my house the dog and cat won't sit together so we can't get out a New Year, much less a Happy one :) Do the pups always have a stray ear, Cynthia? It's like a rose tucked in the hair :)

Talk at you Next Year :)

Saucy

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Happy New Years Eve ! Im a stay-in tonight and hope to enjoy doing whatever I want I was a very busy bee this last couple of days . We had sun today at last so I started my rose pruning- one of them had to be done no matter what lest the window installers are taken down by puncture wounds on Friday. Got 4 roses pruned (only about 60 to go woo-ha !) and had to think about the few I will be digging up and putting in containers to move with me..mostly the few own roots that I planted last year that are still small enough to dig and pot up with out too much upper body strength. Im writing things down lest I become overwhelmed with tasks in the next few months. I plan on two driving trips up north to transport potted plants to BILs and DD for them to babysit till I get up there.

Cynthia, lovely new year greeting from the fur kidsand it looks like you have enough wine glasses to entertain all the Idylls I hope the back thing is short lived , thats all you need right now !

Cindy far be it from me to suggest that you might have a plant addiction problem-lol ! Blame it on Denise, shamelessly co-dependent posting those cool pics from Huntington.

Martie, there was regrettably no time to go house-viewing while I was up in the PNW, however I have plans to return late Feb /early march for that very purpose. Sorry that your bros situation has hit a snag. Stuck in the middle is no place to be.

Denise, DS has put lots of intense stuff in my Netflix queue as well, some of which are ok, some not so. Spalding Grey s Swimming to Cambodia is something Ive had on the back burner for a lonnnng time ! Im just glad DS has at least quasi- eclectic tastes in films. He has zero interest in most of the movies targeted to his demographic.

Saucy, we do the hor doeuvres thing for Christmas Eve. Much grazing and then the opening of presents. Eating nothing but Ceasar salad for about a month is looking pretty good to me about now.

Hi PM2 ! How nice to get a visit from you hope you can stick around for a while.

Time to go hit the reading room hi to everyone, thanks to Deanne for yet another mouth watering culinary description (and thanks to Les and Monique for cooking it ) which reminds me- the Idyll elves were truly The Bomb.

Special Hi to those who have not been around in while Brenda , Babs , T, Honey, Drema

Kathy in Napa

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Humbled to be the first to say HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! At lunch yesterday we got talking about resolutions. Mine? Peace and happiness in my own life and anyone elses I can affect. It was interesting to listen to the next generation of smart, talented women thinking of theirs. Thoughts ranged from learning to scrapbook to having a baby.

Michelle -- Thanks for the calling info. In CT there is an advertisement that allows folks to opt out of getting political calls, but it must be a local thing. I'd rather need to hang up or check caller ID for political calls than continue placing advertising for them. Politicians have their own set of advertising rules, mandated by the FCC, that throw huge bumps into for-profit advertisers ability to do what they need to do. It sounds backwards, but the "people's right to know" basically allows politicians to advertise for next to nothing while struggling small businesses need to pay full rate. I won't go on....

Kyle headed for Boston last night but ended up in Nashua!! I guess that they've had enough of big city partying for a bit. I'm just as glad :-)

I have new respect for all who put together puzzles with more than 20 pieces :-)

Today will be spent with seed catalogs and graph paper. One of my favorite times of year when fantasy can fully take over. LOL Crappy weather (snow/rain/sleet mix, Denise, is about as bad as it can get for travel) is FORCING us to stay home. Can you see me crying from here??????? LOL, again.

Enjoy your days!!

Martie

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Happy new Year Everyone

Last night was fantastic - Annie and David skied for 6 hours while DH and I spent time together in the lodge. The snow was pretty good and it a perfect night - clear and not too cold. At 10PM the ski patrol came down in formation carrying huge burning torches which lit up the mountain. The fireworks that followed were fabulous. Somehow we missed seeing any last year and these more than made up for it. We just snuck in home in time to toast the New Year and David was practically asleep before his head hit the pillow.

I'm in full cooking mode this morning, very happily pottering about in the kitchen listening to the BBC on the internet. I've made cranberry scones, fruit salad and bread sticks and am about to start on the bell pepper and asparagus frittata. Then there will just be some baby potatoes to toss in the oven and sausage to fry and we are ready for the first meal of 2008. Table is laid already and a quick vacuum and we're done.

I hope 2008 brings peace, joy, good health and good gardening to all.

Mary

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Happy New Year to all my Idyll friends!!! Doug and I are relaxing in our favorite chairs in the family room looking out at the white landscape and the Grey Squirrels zooming about. (Man they are fat this year!) Anyway we had a fabulous evening last night. Our friend MJ made reservations to Michael Timothys, our favorite local restaurant, for their special New Years Eve dinner. Absolutely amazing meal! (I cant tell you how happy I am that Im not starting my 08 weight loss program until tomorrow) WE started out with a champagne toast and Foie Gras Brulee then proceeded to choose our four course meal from the set menu. They offered an appetizer, salad, entrée and dessert course. I started with A Curry Pappardelle with king crab, pine nuts, roasted garlic cream with fried chives as a garnish. For salad I had a Baby Romaine Salad on a zucchini pancake with roasted garlic sour cream dressing, haystack potatoes and grated parmesan. For my Entrée I had Grilled Choice Cut Filet Mignon with lobster smashed Hollis potatoes, roasted winter squash and truffle béarnaise. Dessert was a Twelve-Layer Chocolate Mousse Cake with chocolate-covered strawberry and strawberry sauce. That has to be the finest meal Ive ever eaten in a restaurant. Very pricy but worth every cent. Doug and I are talking about making it an annual event. Michael and Sarah his wife the owners were there at the door to welcome us (MJ knows them pretty well) and Sarah even hung my coat for me. Lovely people who richly deserve their success. Anyway it was a culinary masterpiece that was well worth every extra calorie and every drop of sweat it will take me to work it off. LOL

Today our friends are coming over for take out Chinese and a bottle of wine and then the holidays will be officially be over. Ill probably start putting my Santa collection away before they get here.

Yesterday I spent a few hours and watered all the plants in the dormant section of the basement. Id noticed that a few of the fuchsias were bone dry and realized that it had been a month since Id checked them so I did the whole shebang so now that doesnt have to be done for another month. Ive come to realize that I have way too many plants. LOL But, of course, did I throw away all those shoots I cut off the dormant fuchsias???? Nope they are all in water as I write this. Like I really need another thirty or so fuchsias.

Martie, sounds like you are going to have a great day with your seed catalogs and graph paper. I like to putter about with all my plants under the lights and dream about the combinations Im going to make in the spring. So what on earth did Kyle do in Nashua last night?

Kathy the whole idea of moving a garden and household would be overwhelming to me. You are amazing! RE rose pruning, it seems no mater how careful I am I still get wounded. A friend of mine gave me some rose gauntlets last year and that is a help but I still get stuck even through the leather gloves sometimes.

Saucy your New Years dinner sounds yummy. I love tenderloin. Please explain what is HOppin John? ~~ Looking forward to Tower Hill get together.

Cynthia, love the New Years greetings from the puppies. Too cute! So sorry about your back. I hope that gets better soon. ~~ Love the stem holders in your shelves. Are those botanical illustrations under them?

Cindy, beautiful aloe. Of course it had to come home with you.

Mary, Wow! You are lucky your car was still there. OH my! Yes indeed never leave home without a cup of coffee under your belt. Hope you had a great evening and will have a great brunch today.

OK Ive got to get motivated and get my day started with a session on the exercise bike. I"ll have to get out to Keene tomorrow after the snow storm passes. My poor DB fell down on the ice yesterday at work and broke his hip. Hes had surgery and will be in the hospital for a while I guess. What a bummer. Id like to get there today to see him but with this snow coming it can be a real problem getting over Pack Modnanock mountain on Rt. 101.

Enjoy the start of the New Year everyone
    Deanne

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Good Happy New Year's morning!

Mary, I wore the dragonfly to AM worship this past sunday. It went well with my peach colored sweater. Thank you ( again).

I didn't manage to stay up to see the New Year in...didn't even stay up until 11 to see the ball fall in New York!

I haven't got any 2008 seed or nursery catalogs, except Vernon Barnes...:-( But then, I will not be ordering anything new so that is okay. Anything I buy will be locally.

Thanks for all the input about Netflix. Another question...when you send one back do they chose which one from your list to send next ? Also, can you add more to the list , or revise it ? One of the gals at church has it, and likes it.

I need to get dish TV also, so we can watch programs that are not all advertizing ! What is that channel that was mentioned that has the Rose Parade with no ads ? Is it on cable, or dish ? Naturally it is too late for me to have it this year, but maybe next ? I really hate all the silly comments that the announcers make. We are only getting it on NBC this year...:-(

Okay ...gotta go...parade is coming on....

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Happy New Year's Day to each and every one!

I am sitting at the dining room table at 10 AM while others are still in bed. Earlier I heard poor Sarah gargling salt water. Her strep throat seems to have taken a turn for the worse. I checked up on recent photos of the puppies a few minutes ago and all is well with them. :)

Last night we celebrated the arrival of 2008 in the hot tub with apple cider. Fireworks were in the distance, Orion was clearly visible, and Reed was happy to be there too, until Sarah left for bed. He's definitely a Mama's boy these days. It was rather funny when DH made a dash for the door to go inside only to find the door had been locked by mistake. Of course he ran back into the tub until Sarah realized what she had done. (It's minus 15C here)

An elderly friend is due for a lunchtime visit today, but I think she may have to cancel. We'll soon see. I'd hate to have her catch strep throat, though the doctor said that Sarah should not be contagious after being on antibiotics for 48 hours. Hard to tell....

Last night after dinner was a hoot with 4 of us on separate laptops at the table together. What a bunch of geeks! Today is overcast but still snowy and beautiful. No seed catalogues here yet, but we gave DD & DSIL books on pond building for the new year. That's the kind of thing they love planning and building jointly.

I hear small sounds from the youngest member of the family so will try to assist Mama with her day now. I had been hoping to read my book club volume -Atonement- but that will just need to wait. I assume the film is the same story, but I prefer to read things first. Has anyone seen 'Into the Wild'? (We saw it with DS at Thanksgiving time.)

Relax and enjoy the day!
    'bug

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

All window candles are down! I even separated the downstairs candles into two separate boxes for next year. I keep the candles labled by window and direction, but even with separate boxes for upstairs and downstairs I found myself digging too much, especially when a label or two disconnected from the base of the candles.

My last day off :( and it's going too quickly! I've really enjoyed just roaming around the house editing things and cleaning stuff that never gets cleaned. I do have work to do to get ready for tomorrow, but putting it off until it's dark I guess.

Deanne, your New Years Eve dinner sounds like a great tradition to start. Saucy, I would have enjoyed your appetizer spread. And what exactly is hoppin' joe?

Kathy I'm getting so excited about your move! Do you have a realtor for either end of the transaction yet? I'd have a hard time not being on Realtor.com looking for listings just to see what's available.

Hope everyone is enjoying the day and starting the new year off--- happy.

Best, Cynthia

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Happy New Year's Idylls - such wonderful reading of lucky new year's food and festivities. Is it the meal on the eve or New Year's Day that's lucky? For the eve here, it was sushi, for the day a tamale, call it a lucky breakfast tamale. Works for me. Tamales are a big holiday event for many here, lots of homemade variations. You can make the masa yourself (huge undertaking) or buy it premade then make the rest of the tamale yourself (still huge undertaking). Mine were bought from a very good local source. Co-workers of DH swear sauerkraut is the definitive lucky new year's meal, but that may be local custom. DH worked New Year's Eve but was seen pouring over a 2008 calendar, matching it against the work schedule and triumphantly declared that he will be off 2008 Christmas Eve AND day. That's a first. Neither of us have ever had "regular" Mon thru Fri work weeks. Mitch in NYC attended a New Year's Eve party at the Gramercy Park Hotel -- that kid always seems to fall into a honeypot. Duncan and I had a scary fest of Alien movies. Ein's been having a chewing fest on his hide and is probably overdue for a bath. Rain may arrive with the weekend, which would be a great start on the 2008 rain count. Hope all your lucky meals work their magic!

• saucydog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Saurkraut is for wealth in the New Year, or so I always heard....I have heard many variations of this with many kind of greens.

There's a link for Hoppin John....interesting....next year maybe we'll have Hoppin' Juan :)

Happy New Year to all....I think I've shared this here before, but we also say, "rabbit" to one another on the first day of the month for good luck....whoever does it first gets the luck....so it's a big deal to get it on the first day of the new year.

Having said that....RABBIT!

Saucy

• peaceofmind
    16 years ago

Happy New Year to everyone. I spent some time reflecting on 2007 today and it was a better than average year for us. Some sorrow, some joy...

Marion, we are new Netflix users and have enjoyed it very much. We also have a lot of intense movies on our list. I think it may be a matter of watching movies that we wouldn't have gone to the movies to see. We watched Days of Wine and Roses this week. It was very intense and sad. One of the worst parts for me was when the fellow hid a bottle of booze in his father in laws wonderful green house. Then he forgot exactly where he hid it and tore the greenhouse apart to find it. I could hardly bear to watch.

A documentary I would recommend to you is called God Grew Tired of Us. It is about three young men who were in refugee camps in Africa for ten years and then were given the opportunity to come to the US.

My husband seems to be preparing to retire in 2008 and that is a very good thing. He never would even talk about it before. He seems to have the beginnings of Alhziemers and it is making it hard to do his job. He used to be extremely organized and on top of things. In fact, his nickname at work is Radar. Now he misplaces things and can't remember many things. It is just a some times thing but I'd like him to retire before it gets worse.

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Peaceofmind, I am coping with my DH's failing memory and health, so understand what you are saying. I sure hope yours is not getting Altzheimers. I think mine is more of a senile thing, along with other health problems.( He is 81.) I am having similar memory problems.
    I like documentaries and stories based on real life. The main things I do not like is vulgarity and excessive violence.

My meal for the day was definitely not traditional. It was a pot of vegetable stew, made with a beef roast. Turned out real good, even though I forgot to put any carrots in ! LOL. I was too involved in watching the parade....:-(
    BTW, we watched it on ABC,not NBC, which I thought would be the only one airing it here. The announcers were not bad...very little foolishment, but it seemed they focused more on bands than on floats.

The wind has continued all day, but the sunshine helped keep the house warm. It will be a differant story tonight. Predicted to get down to the single digits.

Marie, I am sure sorry about your DD's illness. I do hope the children and you do not get it. Take lots of vitamin C. :-)

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Happy New Year everyone ! Another busy day here for me. I watched the rose parade this morning , and then went outside for the rest of the day. The weather was just unbelievable today- it got up to the mid-60s , sun shining, dry . I cant remember such a warm New Years day since I was a San Diegan. Its usually either cold or raining ! I got 8 more roses pruned and then noticed how bad the weeds were in the area I refer to as the citrus grove, so I spent at least two hours pulling them. I guess an advantage to living where there is a real winter is not having to go out and pull weeds in January . Since there has been no rain for a few days the ground was just barely dry enough to pull the buggers. This time of year we have wild geranium, bedstraw, petty spurge , poa annua, and the ever present oxalis. I noticed while I was out there that the hellebores are budding up . Ill try to get a pic this week to share. My other task for today was cleaning the patio and re-arranging the pots etc so that the window guys will be able to access the slider for the install on Friday. Also dug up and potted two roses for the move

Denise, it must have been t-shirt weather for you today. Ive always wanted to have a Tamale making party on Christmas day with a Mexican feast for dinner (including Margaritas and perhaps Negro Modelo. Next year I will likely be the host so I might make that happen. I have a couple of recipes stashed away. We are supposed to have rain coming in tomorrow perhaps that is the storm that will make its way down to you .
    I thought of you and DH today that Port of Los Angeles float in the parade was very cool with all the various crafts . Quite unique.

Saucy, thanks for the clarification on Hoppin John" , I just knew it had to be a Southern thing. My Grandma (long since gone) was born in New Orleans (1890s) and cooked all sorts of things that seemed very exotic to me as an LA girl.

Cynthia, believe me I am on various real-estate websites on a daily basis, checking out the listings, many of which I have viewed numerous times. I do have a realtor here , and will have one in Corvallis once I get this house listed. They are all pretty hungry right now. I expect to be on the market by the end of the month give or take a week.

Anise, nice to hear from you . I think all we can ask for is good year ! Mine was very uneventful . I hope you and your DH are seeking some medical advice ? Its frightening to contemplate Alzheimers, but as Marian said , sometimes its just too much stuff in your head , and some of it needs to go.

Marian, HGTV (Home and Garden Television) is the station I watched the parade on , commercial free. The broadcast was not as good as in previous years as they spent too much time trying to promote upcoming programs on their network, and the verbiage was very obviously scripted. Still, its better than wall to wall commercials.

bug, I just cant imagine being in a hot tub with the temps under zero ! I guess a speedy entry is the key . I read Atonement when it first came out ..2002 maybe ? I will probably re-read it this winter like you I prefer to read the book first. Though I have read it , it was so long ago I remember every little of the story.

Time to call it quits for tonight-back to work tomorrow. Good thing only work a couple of days. !

Kathy in Napa

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Saucy - we used to believe that if you said "White Rabbit" on the first of the month it would bring good luck. An English tiwst on the same perhaps?

Deanne - how miserable for your DB. I imagine it will be a long recovery. Take care driving in the snow.

Marian - I'm so glad you're enjoying the pin:0) Something to lighten the dark days of mid-winter.

GB - hope the strep throat is soon gone and no one else is struck down. I loved the book Atonement - Ian McEwan is a favorite author of mine and Atonment one of his best works. My book group is planning to see the movie when it opens here - we read the book together a couple of years ago. "Enduring Love" is a great book too. More recently I enjoyed "Saturday" and the short book of "Chesil Beach". DH and I saw Into the Wild and thought it very good.

I'm trying to get geared up for work tomorrow but the week off has simply been too relaxing and fun to want it to end. We're expecting close to a foot of snow tonight and tomorrow so perhaps the vacation will continue. Either way I have a last load of laundry to fold before bed.

Nite all

Mary

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

A sparkling good morning to All!!

It rained/snowed/sleeted yesterday and as soon as the sun crests the tree line, everything will be twinkling. Predictions are for a 30 deg drop between now and tomorrow afternoon -- typical New England but a shock to the system nonetheless.

Deanne: Ky and crew had headed for Boston, got as far as Worchester, decided they didn't want to fight the crowds, called their friend in Nashua who was to meet them in Boston, and headed north instead. They had "amazing Chinese delivered" and a bottle of champagne and played Trivial Pursuit all night. He said it was the best New Year's Eve so far. Hooray for guiet Nashua!!!! When he walked through our door at 11a it threw both Rich and I for a loop, but even Ky admitted that after Paris, a stay-at-home night was the best thing.

It was an interesting day yesterday as calls came in from around the world and calls were made as well. Ky and friends had decided to contact each other at 7pm local times on New Years Day. Very glad Skype covers international calls :-)

Love the Hoppin' Joe tradition, Saucy! It's great that you're keeping it going for your kids.

Denise: I'm so glad for you and DH about him having the two days off next year. Thank him from me for helping to keep us safe and sound. Ky will be trying Mitch again sometime this week provided that leftover England school work gets done. WOW re: Gramercy Park Hotel. The kid is doing well in the connections department, obviously :-)

Poured through 11 seed catalogs yesterday and have a tentative plan:

Annuals and Veggies Only.

Going back through my Autumn notes I'll need a small army of help to get everything divided -- a detriment of planting so much in the same year. Until I see what space I have left, I don't want to start anything new that will be permanent.

Also took a look at roses, but won't get anything until I check around locally except for a Rambler to cover some ugly but soil-retention-necessary scrub trees in the back.

No snow fort got built :-( I told Rich he could go do it himself since the boys were otherwise occupied, but it just wouldn't have been the same. There is hope with the five-year-old who is also disappointed and offered to "come over and shovel a lot." I imagine something small with result.

I'm going to have to do more research on declining abilities as folks get older, since I thought that senility and Altzheimers were connected. My mom was absolutely lucid during the last few weeks. The coming and going of "where she is" is going to be the rough part, methinks.

Rockin' and rollin' at work today, so best pour my second cuppa and get prepared :-)

Hi, All!!!

Martie

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Good morning, Brrrrrr. Rick got a new atomic alarm clock for Christmas. It displays the time and outdoor temp on the ceiling. -9 this a.m. doesn't make you want to get out of bed.

Have a great day!

Michelle

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Good morning... :-)

Starting off the official new year this morning by attempting to tackle the most pressing issue, dental work. I have to find a very good dentist in the Boston area. I have done some research that went on hold for the holidays and now I can't delay any longer. So that is the top priority on my very first TO DO list of 2008. Not my favorite. [g]

Thanks for the hellos Marty and Deanne and hello again. :-) Kathy, what a surprise to hear you are moving. I guess I missed that announcement. I will have to go back and do some reading. Is the PNW your destination? I have a friend from MA that just moved there and is renting while they look for a house. Well, you will certainly have some big changes in 2008! Yes, I hope I can visit more in 2008 than I did last year, thanks for asking.

I have been reviewing my photos from 2007 and wanted to post one of my favorites that seem appropriate to the New Year. It is called Yellow and Blue and is by William Tsoi.

Hope you all enjoy a productive and happy day. :-) pm2

{{gwi:188111}}

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good morning all,

Its still cloudy and spitting snow outside this morning but I can see blue sky off to the west so some sun is probably heading our way. Im going to have to make time to pick up my Mom and go to Keene and visit my brother today. It looks like hell be in the hospital for a couple weeks. What an awful way to start the New Year. He is a VERY physical and active person, so to be on forced bed rest for the length of time that hip is going to take to heal is going to be terrible for him. He is a line man for the phone company so has a very physical job as well. I surely hope he has a speedy recovery.

Doug and I had a pretty quiet day yesterday and I worked with the plants for several hours. Nary a sign of an aphid and only a couple stray fungus gnats so for now all is well. Ive got some abutilon that are getting read to burst into bloom and Im going to let them do it as the flowers will be a real treat with this cold and snowy weather. Ill have to post pics when they do their thing.

Ive got to get my studio back in order and get myself back to work. Ive got a few paintings in my head that Id like to get on canvas and I really could use a few new pieces for the web site. Ive got about a million flower photographs Id like to do paintings from so Im actually looking forward to getting back to work. This is a good thing. LOL

Martie, we got Chinese food from Lilac Blossom last night and I wouldnt be surprised if that is where Kyle got his from. Its the best around here. Id have to agree with you "HOrray for quite Nashua". LOL

Michelle, Brrrr.. That weather is supposed to be on its way here and Im not looking forward to it. Stay warm.

Mary, I think that snow of yours is on the way here also. I cannot believe how much snow weve gotten this winter already. Nashua recorded the most snowfall ever for the month of December 07 with 39.6 inches. It doesnt look like the snow machine will stop anytime soon either. ~~ BTW Doug is headed back out your way next week.

Kathy, Im absolutely blown away by your organizational skills. Youve set a plan, a deadline for selling and moving and you are doing it. Good for you.

Bug, I hope all are well soon.

Beautiful pic PM2. Do you know the photographer? ~~ Bummer about having to have dental work done. My worst nightmare.

OK Ive got to go to the gym and fight the hordes of people who flock there the first of the year. Fortunately most dont want to use the Stairmaster and I normally dont have to wait for a machine. Time to knuckle down and lose the weight I managed to accumulate in 07. Have a great day everyone.

Deanne

• saucydog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

For some reason I missed the news of Deanne's brother's fall - I hope he has a speedy recovery....that's quite the job he does.

Just in from the gym, and it seems that yes-indeedy, lots of people have resolved to get back to the gym for '08 :) I used the stairmaster today, myself :)

Hi to PM2. It's good to get on top of the dental work before it gets worse - good for you!

GB I hope everyone is feeling better today.

I want tamales, too. And a day at the beach just because I can. I miss So. Cal....must make it back soon.

I am planning a Scuba trip to St. John or Florida Keys - input anyone? We've never been to either.

I am in a mood to get things done and cleared off my desk....it's a mood that doesn't strike often, so better take advantage.

TTYL,
    Saucy

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Deanne, it sounds like your brother will be very motivated to become active again. I can imagine the ERs must be flooded with fall injuries. I know you guys are all pro's at winter, but please be so careful driving...and walking!

We've had a conga line of ants greeting us in the shower every morning, so I sympathize with the aphis/gnats and glad to hear they're under control. Our little blighters are looking for water, is what I'm told. We've got an uber strain of Argentinian ant that's outcompeted our native ants. My neighbor Holly, former Back Eastie from Maine, has a pest control guy out once a month. I saw him masked and spraying her garden gate area a few days ago, clouds of spray wafting across the street. I completely understand the impulse to have nothing crawling in the house. Pest control should probably be relegated to the categories of religion and politics, never to be discussed.

Lovely morning glory, prairiemoon, and good luck finding that dentist. Funny how the new year's resolutions never include stuff like tracking down and buying all black-colored flwrs in existence but run more toward exercise, dental care. But there's nothing to compare to the high one gets AFTER a dentist visit.

The sweatered greys spelling out a new year's greeting was a treat, such nice manners!

We never watch the Rose Parade, so foolishly missed the Port of LA float. Not a sport fan in the house either so we're out of the loop there too. DH loves attending the big football parties and tries to blend in, but his unpracticed sports commentary always betrays his rookie status. My BIL's enthusiastic commentary is fascinating to listen to when he's watching a game, much more entertaining than the game itself.

Kathy, I'm taking notes on selling and moving house. I can't believe you're ready to list. Good work.

Look at you, Saucy, "planning a scuba trip," and to warmer water this time. What a blast.

All decorations still up here, with the house just beginning to smell piney. Probably means the tree is near to being a fire hazard. Friday will be tree recycling day with the trash, so down it comes by then.

Can't wait to hear of the veggie garden plans, Martie. If anyone has any harsh words regarding taking out a beautiful mature noisette climber, let 'em fly. I can't believe I'm contemplating it, but I know from the past that once the thought first crosses my mind, the rose's days are numbered. Cons are it takes up about 1/8 of available growing space, nothing much will grow underneath its arch, a self-sown Euphorbia cotinifolia has sprung up nearby to 8 feet throwing all proportion out of whack. Blooming is decreasing to really one big spring flush. I think the soil's exhausted, which might be a self-serving excuse but I itch to dig over the entire bed and amend it. Bigger leaves are needed in that particular area (Canna musifolia?). The pros are obvious and needn't be listed. I just can't seem to stay committed to roses, which causes much shame.

I saw this flash of gold driving across town and tracked it down for this blurry photo. A man with jet black hair down to his waist walked by as I snapped the photo and said "Nice orchids." Maybe some of you grow epidendums as houseplants? I've never been able to grow them like this:

{{gwi:188113}}

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Well, I armed myself well with Garbage Shield and Armor for the first day back at the ofc, and it's holding steady here at the ofc (on the personal front, the best I do is just to try to forget the "recent unpleasantness" and pretend those persons dont exist - it works pretty well during waking hours...). I was pleasantly surprised that Boss 1 had not (for first time in years) blocked my desk & alcove w/ files he'd shoveled out of his ofc on his usual year-end purge -- I congratulated him and told him how much I really really appreciated it -- good start for this new Year!

I can't believe all the snow so many Idyllers have already had -- it's cold here w/ that Artic cold coming in for a couple days, but we've only had mostly rain, rain, rain -- but it still managed to close the year 2007 in a deficit area for the region over all. Eeeks -- Michelle -- knowing how cold it was before I get out of bed would not encourage me either! Brrrrrr.

Sounds like quite a few have a marvey New Years -- Mary, Deanne, I'd have a hard time picking which was more fun (I suspect the gourmet food would win though, LOL..).

Re Alzheimers -- there are other elder diseases/conditions that mimic the behaviors/memory loss characteristics of "Uncle Al" -- there is frontal lobe senile dementia, and other types of things like that -- only a proper diagnosis by specialists can determine which one and what it might be -- some of these things can be helped by medications - including Uncle Al. So, for people concerned about it, best thing to do is see that expert dr - as someone else said here, "growing old sucks" -- for all of us!

Im sorry to hear of your DB's accident, Deanne -- what a wretched way to start a year off. And I do hope GB's DD is on the mend now from the strep throat - how lucky she is to have you visiting though to help out...

Kathy - Im soo impressed by how hard & diligently you've been working and painting your house -- boy, you are an energizer bunny! Even w/ that goal, it must really be tough (it would be for me anyhow) to keep doing all that myself -- I really need to repaint my interior of my house, but the thought makes me cringe -- 'course the thought of paying a painter makes me cringe more, LOL...

Well, guess I've taken enuff lunch time -- keeping w/ my '08 resolution to keep up w/ the Idylls so far...

Denise -- yikes -- that's an epidendrum? W O W!!! It's Mag.(Im sure I wont find that at my local nursery). I think we can all relate to deciding garden real estate is too precious for something that only shows a short time, whether it's peony, rose or something else...you're gonna need a shield yourself to chop it out sounds like! Im w/ you re PNW - I'd love to visit Bainbridge -- we would all be in Garden Paradise I think.

--Cindy

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Just in and the cold is coming....

Denise: LOL about letting fly words about yanking. I'm one of the biggest proponents of "it's just plants" and if something doesn't work for whatever reason, get rid of it!! That said, I wish I could come dig up your climber to reestablish here. Keep those current pics coming!! It's defense against the winter blahs in these parts.

Cindy: Good for your boss!! I've always thought it a bit cowardly to purge when the organizer o' purges is away :-)

Kathy: For fun have been poking around houses for sale in Corvallis. What a variety! Are you looking for something gardenless for a complete fresh start? For me, taking over someone elses garden is akin to peaking in the medicine closet. I tried it once, and decided that leaving gardens was a lot easier than trying to make existing ones "mine." Good that you are starting to move plants sooner than later -- you'll end up with more than you thought, believe me. I'm still retrieving things from seven years ago. Good thing hostas are hardy!

We'd need acres and acres to plant all the veggies that we think are necessary for sustinence as of yesterday. LOL Though I have convinced Rich that corn just isn't worth the hassle, he has become intrigued by all the different types of pumpkins to be had. I've introduced him to the concept of vertical gardening using onion bags to support the fruit, but "it wouldn't be right." I'm sure we'll have things tucked everywhere by the time summer is done.

You gotta see this link. Could it be a joke???? Chelone????

Martie

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

Belated ... Happy New Year to you all! We've been relaxing and doing nothing much since the company went home. I got lots of books for Christmas so have been spending quality time with the books and the dogs:(note the large lump of a tumor on Jasper's left side in front of his hip...)
    {{gwi:188114}}

Misty loves 'the big guys' coming to visit. Blue, in particular, seems to have become her special buddy.:
    {{gwi:188115}}

Last night we (including Misty...) had dinner with her other 'boyfriend' Liam and his 'parents'. Liam tried to get in the car and come home with her when we left. Misty seems to have become the doggy version of a party girl! :-) Our hostess for dinner last night was a bit melancholy. A few days before Christmas her elderly father died. Her mother died in the fall. Hopefully 2008 will be a better year for her!

I'm feeling very much in hibernation/winter lethargy mode so will probably be even less chatty than usual over the next few months! I'm plotting an expansion to the backyard garden and other garden projects for 2008 to keep myself going through the dark, cold season.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Back from buying DD a new wardrobe at the sales. (Mark's Work Warehouse and Cotton Ginny) Reed benefited from the excursion as well. :) Sushi for lunch, OUT for dinner later this evening. (Ethiopian)

Unfortunately I must agree with Cindy on the diseases associated with aging. My Mom's was labeled as Binswanger's Disease, and nasty stuff it was as it evolved. Finding an accurate diagnosis is tricky business too. With my Dad, the dementia word was only mentioned after his death. This broke my heart as my mother needed to know what she was dealing with and had zero support from those who could have helped her.

I've just discovered Fine Cooking magazine- as opposed to fine gardening. Perhaps this is not a great addiction either?!

OK, must go for now. We fly home tomorrow, late, so perhaps there will be pictures soon.
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Back to the grind today, but a short workweek to ease us into it a bit. I had a dentist appt today (only a cleaning this time thank goodness- though I HATE cleanings, especially when they use that sonar thing. ) and since its the first of the year I didnt have to give them any money for a change.

Martie, I am looking for a house that is more or less turn-key as far as the interior goes i.e dont want to fix the kitchens, bathrooms, windows, flooring etc. That leans me a bit towards a newer home. I want at least a 9 to 10k square ft lot, preferably ¼ acre as I feel that is a size I can handle on my own (with occasional help from relatives if need be lol) and a sunny position. Love the forest but dont want to live in it-too gloomy especially in rain country. Deal breaker is a busy street and too small a lot. There is quite a variety, and Im also looking in Philomath which is a few miles west of Corvallis , but have noticed a bit larger lot size there. Oh yeah, I would love a view as well. So what are the ramblers you are considering ? Is Cl Cecile Bruner hardy in your zone ? That thing gets huge and re-blooms nicely for me. I think it would easily smother anything in its path.

PM2, wonderful photo ! To bring you up to speed I decided to sell my house and re-locate to the Willamette Valley of Oregon, about 500 miles north . Most of my family is up there and real estate prices are a bit lower so I will make a modest profit and be able to segue from my high stress 50 to 60 hour a week job to a nice mindless part time job. Id
    like to enjoy myself while Im still able. I can totally commiserate with you on the dental work issue ! In the last several months Ive had extractions, bone grafts, deep root planeing, a sinus lift and gum surgery . Next up are the implants. Jeesh.

Deanne, how great that you are preparing to paint ! We of course expect some pics of your progress. Sorry to hear of your DBs woes. Nothing worse than confinement for one who likes activity.

Denise, back in the olden days when my BILs lived in Huntington Beach I bought them an Epidendum from the nursery I was working for at the time as a hostess gift. They fortunately planted it in a bed that was surrounded by concrete because the thing just absolutely took off and would probably eaten their whole garden alive. And it bloomed like mad. As I recall it was a Southwest exposure. Re; the Noisette, hey some people are rose folk and some arent. But be prepared ! I removed a mature (15 year) climber and it involved several different saws, a hatchet, and a railroad pic.

Cindy, painting is a pain the the A , however I am doing myself the rooms that require no special skill and hiring out the rest. There is no way Im going to paint the kitchen but bedrooms I can deal with.

Woody, great aerial pooch view ! Everyone looks quite comfy.

Ok, time to have some dinner and read a bit Hope everyone is staying warm and dry.

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Two down, 364 to go...

Marian, I can answer your questions about your Netflix list or queue. You can change it at anytime and add, delete or re-order your choices. They will send you the next movie on your list that is currently available, and it seems like most of the time they are sending the top choice. The list is fairly easy to manipulate if you want.

Sunrise is sitting next to me on the loveseat, but is turned backwards and keeps mashing her nose into the back of the loveseat. Very strange noises coming from that corner! I decalcified my coffee pot this evening and I think that was quieter! She will not be happy when the replacement arrives and she is not allowed on it.

Woody, our first lab had sizable benign tumors like Jasper. I started calling him the lumpy-bumpy dog.

Our New Year's Day tradition has become jambalaya and black bean soup. Beans for good luck, and jambalaya because there's enough spice to burn out anything that ails you!

We had a great time at the Rose Bowl party, although the outcome of the game was not what we wanted to see. It was hard to go to work this morning, but i got a lot accomplished and will feel good at the end of the short week. With two trade shows to do this month, January will be gone before I know it.

Martie, I understand your comments about the politcal ads. One of the local radio stations I listen to once explained the requirement to run these at the lowest rate, and how it hurts their bottom line when the races get particularly heated.

Time to get ready for bed. I want to read a few pages before I clunk out.

V.

ps - a question to others - lately I'm seeing several posts with ? instead of apostrophes and quotes. Is anyone else having this problem or do I have some quirky setting on my browser? thanks!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Deanne...very sorry about your brother. Ice is so scary. One of our new year's resolutions is to walk a few times every week but by the time my DH gets home at night, it is dark, so our favorite walking site is out of the question. So we decided rather than go to the malls, we would try the center of a near by town that is interesting to walk around. We tried it last night for the first time and it worked out great. The sidewalks were completely dry and passable. We had a harder time trying to get to our car in the driveway. It iced up here late yesterday. Your brother's story is encouraging me to try to get some sand today. Well, I hope he will be able to start physical therapy before too long.

I meant to tell you that I loved your photo of your Christmas tree with those gorgeous glass ornaments! The light was wonderful. The photo of the morning glory was by William Tsoi.

Saucy...hope you got a lot of things done yesterday. I'm planning on doing the same today. :-)

Denise...sorry to hear about your ants and hope you find a solution for them.

peaceofmind
    Also facing memory loss problems with my husband's Mom, but she is in her 80s so it is certainly to be expected. My husband and I both have noticed it gets harder and harder to keep all the necessary details in our heads. I rely on lists a lot. Sorry to hear about your husband and hope you can find a specialist that can offer you something to slow down the progression.

Kathy...Willamette Valley sounds familiar. Isn't that where a lot of Iris growers have collected? Corvallis seems to be about 7 hours from Spokane, so you are not so close to my friend at all. It looks like you will be pretty close to the coast there. Sounds lovely. I have often thought of moving to the West Coast, but I don't think I could tolerate the amount of gray weather there. Two days of gray skies and I start noticing a funk coming on. [g] My DH on the other hand looks forward to rain and finds it 'cozy' for some reason.

As for dental work...that is an amazing list of procedures you have had. I cannot remember a time when I haven't had problems with my teeth but thankfully, not gum or bone problems, yet. I have a lot of sympathy for your dental woes. Takes a lot of dedication to keep having the work done. I will be interested to hear how the implants work out.

Another favorite photo from 2007...by another photographer whose work I enjoy... Raymond J Barlow.

{{gwi:188116}}

Staying warm and dry today...hope you will too. :-) pm2

• saucydog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Idyll Motor Court sounds like something the kids would like! I might actually do that, since I don't like to camp without a cabin :) I can stop in at LL Bean, LOL!

I really am overwhelmed by all the info on the 'net for Scuba in the Virgin Islands....are travel agents a waste of money?

I had a great workout today, one of the best on record. I was able to breeze through cardio and lift mountains with my legs :) All with a smile on my face. I got a heart monitor for Christmas and find it fun to make the workout a little more scientific-like.

V., I am a lumpy bumpy Saucy. I have a lovely condition commonly known as fatty tumors. I imagine that they bother a dog about as much as they bother me....though if I had a huge one like Jasper, I might feel differently :)

Woody, everyone looks so comfy....all settled in for a winter's day. Don't hibernate for too long :)

Denise, I think we call those sugar ants, though I've always heard they're after water. They never really bother me since they're not after food. I agree, however, that chemical warfare is one of those touchy subjects :) Mint is something fun to try.

I've got to get this show on the road. I feel very behind for some reason and need to dig back in.....

Saucy

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Warmer here today, the clock said 10 above.

Deanne, sorry to hear about your DB. One of our linemen fell and broke his hip but was able to return to work after 6 weeks. Hopefully, your DB will have as quick of recovery. Ive been quite concerned about falling this icy winter especially now that I know my bone density isnt so great.

We must be one of the few without Netflix. Im not sure I would find the time. We always buy some movies to watch when we travel in our camper as TV reception is usually not good in campgrounds. Of course I have lots of projects for the winter. Theres an arbor that should get built out of copper, several rooms to paint. Rick would like to do a "man room" upstairs in a room that I have full of junk. So some organizing and painting should happen. I should really look for new carpet for up the stairs, hallway and 2 bedrooms. We will be doing the prep work for our new kitchen flooring but not the installation and it has arrived. Spring will be here before I know it.

Kathy, I often think if I had to move back to town that I would have a hard time finding the perfect house and the perfect lot.

Cynthia, I enjoyed the New Years greating from the pups. Hows the back doing? Take care of yourself.

I just check a book out of the library "1001 Gardens to see before you die"

The political frenzy is peaking here in Iowa today. I think tomorrow will be much quieter.

Later

Michelle