Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taryn_gw

Hemmingway's Alpine Idyll 244

taryn
18 years ago

And the kids are gonna be late for school...

Here is a link that might be useful: Alpine Idyll--scroll for 244

Comments (104)

• Lily316
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Talk about dying plants..I bought a neat rosemary topiary at Lowes a few weeks ago for Xmas. I have three rosemarys I've had for many years. Two are in the back bedroom and one is shoved under the growing light in the basement. This new one I put in my big new box window in my kitchen. When I lifted it out FIVE days later, it was dead as a doornail. Could not believe it and it was well watered when I sat it on the windowsill. They took it off my charge and I decided NOT to replace it.Probably got frozen on the truck!
    V I'm glad your daughter has you. I had no one. Neither parent was supportive or kind and I was an only child. My aunt who just died in July was the only adult who gave me attention,,and an elderly neighbor. I used to dry dishes for my mother and I would chat about school. She'd never answer and I remember once saying..."Guess who got the second highest mark in the test today?", and she asked who got the highest. I could cry thinking of my loveless childhood. I think I went over board w/ MY daughter w/ constant praise. She was..and is very bright and driven and a little tense. I would have liked her to take some time when her son was born and raise him but she had an important position and he went to daycare. But ,V you sound like a very caring parent and even if your DH doesn't come around, your daughter will always remember how much you cared.
    Deanne ..your family meetings sounded like they were worthwhile. DD and I are both volatile so we'd need a referee.lol..
    EP..you're a vision in purple..Great picture and nice to have a face w/ the name!!
    I have Mozilla as well and so far today no Ritz or any pop ups. Yesterday was wild and my hushand also came out and said he was tired of watching Ritz commercials...
    It's warm today and H had a good day for his second day at the ski resort. He is charge of the tubing department. Tonight after we walked the mall we went to Friendly's for dinner and promptly was seated directly across from DD and SIL and GS. GS was extemely jealous that GP got to go tubing today. He had his 5th B-day party there. No discounts or freebies 'cause he is part time..They're bummed..want the old man to work full time. All are skiers,my son included, and GS skiied since he was three...Sylvia

• chelone
    18 years ago

The driveway is a skating rink this morning. And there is a lot of waterlogged snow on the Filon roof that is likely frozen solid now. :( This is not my favorite time of year, but I'd rather have straight snow than the dreaded "wintery mix". Oh well, maybe the sun will work some magic this afternoon.

Pictures of distant spring do bring a smile to my face. We have lost 6 hrs. and 31 minutes of daylight since 6/21/05, at least according to channel 6 in Portland, Me.. But the back of winter will be broken on 12/21/05, my friends.

I have to get Mum up earlier today (urostomy change, Fosamax, and then a half hour wait before breakfast) because I really do need to venture out and check a few items off the list. It will be crowded, but I know where I need to go and what I want to buy, so it'll be OK. I may put off the trip to the dreaded stretch of "mauls" until after work on Monday/Tuesday.

Hope you have something more fun planned for your weekend!

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Morning everyone,

It is a balmy 27degrees out and looks like there will be sun and no precip today which is a very good thing. It is going to be smooth sailing down to Hartford today. I sure wish Martie and Wendy could join us tonight at Sues. Ill make sure to have a glass of wine for them and also pay attention that their whoopee pies get taken care of LOL.~~ Must get to the gym early so I can get a few things wrapped before heading south. Ill bet Sue and Tom are going to be pretty busy today.

Sylvia, sorry your rosemary plant didnt make it. I killed them several times so dont buy them anymore. They really made a mess when the needles all fell off so just stick to things I can grow. Maybe they werent in good shape when I took them home? I didnt think of that. ~~ LOL about you and DH being volatile, ditto Doug and I. As I said it was REALLY difficult. ~~ You are not alone here with the type upbringing you had. Hugs. That kind of indifference causes hurts that never go away.

Taryn, could that possibly be the Tolrem talking???

Cynthia, love, love, love your spring photos. Those azaleas growing through the bench are gorgeous. BTW those benches are wonderful. Are they antiques?

Quiet on this Idyll lately. Everybody must be busy with holiday prep.

OK time to get to the gym. Have a great day all,
    Deanne

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

hmmm... never had heard a cabinet referred to as a 'hoosier'. learn something new here all the time. google found a Hoosier cabinet manufacturer in Indiana. link below. I think the name of the manufacturer is stamped on the back of ours but I'd have to pull it out from the wall to look.
    Sad to hear of so many unhappy childhood experiences here. Discipline is necessary but some people don't know the difference in discipline and punishment or realize that negativity can pull others down. It's so essential to define issues and be in harmony when possible. Deanne's sharing is valuable. Hope everyone reaches their best potentials. Hope everyone is feeling better today. Looking forward to hearing about the partying. EP

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Good Morning! And it got cold in the night - 31F. I know that's not bad but I was enjoying the 40F even with the rain and now my fingers are cold. I want to put my hands in my pockets and read, but you wrote little last night peoples. Where are the night people besides Sylvia... Da? Yeona?

EP, so nice to see your purpleness :-) And GB's trollius, and Deanne's gorgeous compositions. Yes Deanne, the benches are antiques from that little antique shop called Home Goods. I spray paint them in a nice gray green that I've stock piled because it's a hard color to find.

Taryn finally included lyrics that I actually know for some reason. Patsy Cline. And now that song is in my head instead of holiday music.

I have to write up a phone screen for a potential adopter this morning. I usually do those as soon as I finish the call, but this one is hard so I've put it off. Maybe I'll vacuum first!

Have a great day everyone! Cynthia

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

Some interesting input on 'hoosiers'. Thanks for the 'enlightenment'. EP

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

A quick pre-party good morning! I'm just finishing my coffee then it's time to go into high gear. The guests will start arriving around 6. I still have errands to run, and cleaning, set up and prep work to do. Since I have my helper, Melanie, again this year I need to write a time table for the oven and food serving in general so I can leave the kitchen and socialize for more than a minute at a time. Eeeek. At least the guest room is all set for Deanne and Doug. I did that last night before I baked the whoopie pies.

EP, that was a great picture of you, BTW. Purple is one of my favorite colors also.

We have 7 dogs coming into rescue next week. It's a death in the family/nursing home situation for a couple who apparently have been back yard breeders for many years. Seven is alot for one time for our group. We're going to have to scramble for foster homes, etc. Stuff like this always happens just before Christmas.

OK, enough from me. Enjoy the day!

Sue

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

Ep , I'm am with you on the cabinets called 'hoosiers' . I Googled them , too , and found some that resembled my folk's kitchen cabinet/cupboard . I think mama's had a flour bin . I wonder what became of it . I don't recall it being in town when she moved there 17 years before she passed on .

Count me in with the rosemary killers . I have tried at least 3 times , in differant locations and conditions , but they always died . EP , it seems like I remember that you succeed with them .

Well , there is a possibility of snow for us this eve, and I am in need of groceries , so had better run to town NOW !
    It is already cloudy , and not unheard of for the weather to arrive earlier than predicted !

Marian

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Time to get my day roilling. Dull weather, dull day. Now how to make it exciting? We shall see!

Another thought for V. Since we often tend to act in ways we are familiar with, that is the patterns of our parents, it is possible your DH needs to learn that there are other effective ways, uncritical ways, of dealing with his daughter and family.

My father never knew what it was to praise and my brother has been in therapy because of it for decades. In his late 60s, he still blames our father. I think it is beyond time for blame, but it does illustrate the extent of the hurt. My sister does not blame, but her life was seriously messed up by his abuse. We all were given physical punishment for mysterious deeds, not to mention verbal chastisement. No hugs, smiles or praise. He once told me that children are born as savages and need to be whipped into shape. Chilling. He was not raised that way so I wonder where it came from.

DH is practicing his singing in the background.: The Riddle Song.
    The Riddle Song

I gave my love a cherry, that had no stone
    I gave my love a chicken, that had no bone
    I gave my love a ring, that had no end
    I gave my love a baby, with no cryin'

How can there be a cherry, that has no stone
    How can there be a chicken, that has no bone
    How can there be a ring, that has no end
    How can there be a baby, with no cryin'

A cherry when it's bloomin', it has no stone
    A chicken when it's pippin'', it has no bone
    A ring when it's rollin', it has no end
    A baby when it's sleepin', there's no cryin'

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Thanks!!!! (and sorry for missing the posts sooner) for Cyclamen info. I've needed to skim and didn't pay close enough attention. Glad there are other house plant killers out there!!! If the C. stays alive through Christmas I'll be happy.

Best to all and Have Fun Tonight, NE Idyllers!!!

Quick to Taryn: I understand your "girly" shopping. Do the same thing for nieces even though they are too old for frilly. They get a kick out of just how obnoxious an outfit I can find for them, then get to return it for something they really like. If I got them something reasonable to start with it just wouldn't be the same .... :-)

And V: Empathize with DD. Think it's as much a power thing on DH's part as anything. Some folks just need to make others feel lousy to feel good about themselves. It stinks. Tell DD she is the "larger" person in this case if DH won't sit down to talk.

EP: Wonderful pic!!

Wonderful pics of Spring, too. So, Deanne, when are you coming south in April to help with design???? Hmmmm?????

Gotta run. Rich is home from an appt and we start our party circuit at 5. 10 hours of stuff to do, first, of course. Ugh!! Wishing I was heading to Sue's instead, but obligations are obligations. NEXT weekend is just ours.

Martie

• deanneart
    18 years ago

So Cynthia it was - 31F??? LOL And I love that "Antique Shop" we have one of them here also but I don't remember seeing those particular antique benches there.

Bug, I've loved and sung that song for thirty plus years. Neat.~~ You should be so proud of yourself for getting yourself beyond the abuse of your upbringing. Many people never do. As you said it is beyond the time for blame. Comes to a point and you have to just pick up the pieces and move forward or you never get anywhere. It took me a long time to get past the hurt part and then longer to get past being angry. I'm almost, almost able to put myself in those shoes and understand and through the understanding comes forgiveness. Then the last bit for me will be to accept and let go of what I can't understand. Almost there, and several times I've thought I'd arrived at that place where I could say I've completely let go of all of the baggage and then something catches me by surprise and I realize there still is a bit of that mountain left to climb. I do have to say though that lighter the luggage gets the happier I've become. (I might add here that the lighter my person has become as well LOL)

Marian, you are such a houseplant ghuru that I can't believe you've killed rosemary.

Martie, the NE Idyll group has gotten together here in Febuary for our "Thumbing our Noses at Winter" party the last couple years. Les makes the most amazing and fabulous guacamole and we enjoy summer beverages like frozen margaritas as well. Also, we've come south for spring in the CT Idyll gardens the last couple years as well so hopefully we can meet up then. We've done a couple events where we have appetizers at Les and Monique's and then dinner at Sue and Tom's, Mabye we'll have to start real early and wind up at your place for dessert. LOL

OK I've got to get my act in gear and get dolled up for this great party I'm going to tonight.

Have a great day and evening all. We'll be thinking of all of you.

Deanne

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Where did the morning go???? I cleaned all of the family jewelry that I'm giving to my nieces for Christmas, and then wrote a not explaining where everything came from. I literally got teary eyed, but I'd rather give things now than have people try to figure it out after I'm gone. My mother couldn't part with anything and after she died my father threw things out or gave them away. Hey, on the topic of childhoods - I've always thought that we learn something from our experience either way. So whether our parents set a good example or raise us kindly doesn't really matter, we make decisions on how to react to the rest of our live. If certain behaviour hurts us, then we learn that it hurts and don't do the same to others. My theory is that you can love your relations but you don't have to like them, and it's always been the privilege of children to reject their parents' philosophies.

Okie dokey, I'd better get off to the post office before it closes at 2PM. What are the chances they have extended hours for the season? Zilch.

Later, Cynthia

• chelone
    18 years ago

I've just returned from my foray to the "maul". I have boxer briefs, and a new pair of "lounge pants" for the helpmeet. I spent too much time at Barnes and Noble, looking for interesting DVDs for the "magnaTV", didn't find anything I really wanted. But I did walk out with 2 books I know he will enjoy:

"Iraq Confidential" by Scott Ritter
    "The Politics of Truth" by Joseph Wilson

Looks as though I'm off to Amazon to find the DVDs I want... :/ I also added 4 more "bigga-biggas" to the tree, a pretty shell, a round glass one, and two unbreakables for the lower branches frequented by playful cats and wagging dog tails. I also ordered the cake for Christmas (Almond and Raspberry from a very luxe bakery, I'll claim it at 10AM on Friday morning).

Time to "hide" the booty until the wrapping is wrapped up.

• Mary_NY6
    18 years ago

Hi everyone

Just wanted to peek in and say I've missed you all. Last weekend went well looking after Iris and Ivan, and Mum arrived safely after her mammoth journey Friday night. On Sunday we had a call at 4 PM from my brother who lives in New Orleans (his house was not destroyed and they are back there again) saying he was just changing planes at Newark and would be at our house at 5.30PM to visit for a few days. Fortunately we didn't have plans that evening!! He can be very, er..., spontaneous, but it was great to have him here! DB left Thursday and Ruth's husband arrived last night. I'm not sure if I'm coming or going, and have given up worrying whether the kitchen floor is clean but being together for us is the joy of the season. Somewhere in the middle of the blur of last week DH and I marked our 19th wedding anniversary which we will celebrate at a quieter date in the future.

Having completed an early morning market run and music lessons, I'm about to finish our Christmas cards in front of a nice fire. I think a cup of tea is called for - anyone care to join me?

Best to all. Have fun tonight North Easteners!

Mary

• taryn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good afternoon,
    LOL Deanne, no not the tolrem! I still am not ready for spring, sipping cranberry/water, and I still hate nightshift. Does anyone have pics of their Christmas decorations to share? Missing jain, remember all her handmade stockings?

Cynthia I love Patsy Cline. Funny how our thought processes work, which led me to 'Crazy' last night. The guy who bought my Szigeti postcard on Ebay wants to buy the entire collection of letters now, make a private offer, which will be considered. So I took pics and put them on a link at photobucket for him, which I also sent to Sotheby's and Doyle New York. Told my Auntie Anita (Ebay psychic lady) about it and sent her the link as she's into classical music, and she told me that Szigeti had given up his seat on the plane that later crashed and killed actress Carole Lombard. Technically he gave it up for servicemen, but at any rate it saved his life. Googled the story and found it interesting, link below. So then I started thinking about plane crashes, and how many famous people have died in them, which led me to Patsy Cline. Are you sorry you asked now Deanne? LOL!

Just skimmed here quickly, Gigi and clan will be here in 20 minutes or so. Back tomorrow for a proper visit. Going to don gloves and give the main floor bathroom a quick swipe. Enjoy what's left of the day. Mild and bright and sunny here...

L8R,

Taryn

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

The Ritz crackers are gone because I ate them ;o)

Ive been gift wrapping, making chicken soup and pecan tassies so far today.

No luck here with rosemary and cyclamen.

The party sounds like it will be lots of fun. Hopefully, Sue can enjoy and relax.

I have heard of hoosiers, SIL has a wonderful one in her kitchen. EP looks great in her purple next to hers. The dried flowers on top are gorgeous.

Mary, it sounds like your house is a busy place. Happy anniversary.

Taryn, what fun gifts you picked out. I have a huge box of fancy dance costumes from DD. She took ballet, jazz, gymnastics and tap starting at age 5 thru high school. Im sure Kenzie will love playing with them.

Thanks ladies for the uplifting spring pictures.

Later
    M

• chelone
    18 years ago

Mantel pictures! I still have to get a hook into the masonry to hang the art piece, but the mantel is up and I'm satisfied with the result, looks a lot better than it used to!

{{gwi:188144}}

{{gwi:188145}}

Now I just need to fine tune the ash collection system and consolidate the kindling. "Accessorizing" will come in due course... forcing that sort of thing only results in something that looks "contrived", you know?

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Life is good:

I have the new Sue Grafton mystery - S is for Silence.

When I was out today I found a new Trader Joe's within 10 miles of my house !!!!! (No more 20 mile treks!)

I had Trader Joe Mushroom turnovers for supper (yum) and pinot grigio.

The dogs and I had a long walk because temps were in the 30s and there was more road than ice. Now we're all tired. Monty has a Santa pin on his collar :) I found it when I was looking for small boxes for my nieces' gifts.

My back doesn't hurt anymore from the dry skin.

There's a cat in my lap.

The radio is playing the Messiah.

What more could I want?

"The best things in life aren't things."

Hope you all have a lovely night ~

Cynthia

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

PS: Mantle looks great Chelone! I like that print very much.

• babzclare
    18 years ago

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas....everywhere I goooooo...heh heh.(Imagine my operetta-like voice if you like)

So does anyone even read my posts?
    I'll talk anyway.

Deanne-Yeah that's interesting the Ritz factory left. Now I've got Kohl's but at least it's short.
    How did you know: ),I did start some wrapping today-but just stuff that AJ takes to school and things I can wrap in front of the kids.
    We had a cool spontaneous ornament making session this morning. We like to get out our red clay and roll it out to make cookie cutouts that we decorate and give to people who we've appreciated during the year. This year even Chris tried his hand at the creativity. I'm telling you it's great for anyone needing to slow down and have patience-it's been so hectic here that we all found it theraputic.

Taryn-I like the girlie presents. I can't tell you how many times I stroll past the holiday dresses for girls and wish I was buying(or making)some. I keep thinking lately how grateful I am that your friend Bruce is doing so well-to think at one point you really didn't know what would happen. I'm awed by situations/miracles like that.

The holidays are proving to be difficult for my MIL-she's having probs with the insurance company and she also isn't doing her PT like she should be so they won't send out a PT person to help her unless she's showing progress. I'd say it's more of the depression factor entering into this lack of motivation. I feel a little guilty not going with the boys tonight to do her household cleaning/laundry but there's so much Christmas stuff I need to attend to that I will end up a frazzled bundle of nerves if I don't pace myself.
    SIL is adding to the frustration since she won't lift a finger(as usual)and gets irrate as her escape tactic-then again she still doesn't do anything to help. Why are people like this? I don't understand why a person can be so detached toward their own mother. Maybe it's not for me to understand. Ignore me please since I'm just getting the hurt off my chest: )

Last night Chris and I did a shopping bonanza. We planned to hit Kaufmann's to shop but spent the whole night at TJ Maxx finding some pretty good items. The fun part was that he was shopping for ME but I was good and didn't look. Though I did give strong hints when I liked something then I'd walk away: )I wonder what hopped into his cart! We're a pretty good team.

Mary good that you are having more than your share of family time. lol about your brother-I think guys are like that sometimes. Hey it really is more about fun family times than how clean the floor is...(that's my excuse for not cleaning).

Loving the spring pics-REALLY. I found myself counting how many months till things grow again...soon enough we'll be counting the days....there's nothing like optimism to keep you going-there really isn't!

Michelle thanks for eating all the Ritz; ) I like them with wine...Mary do you mind if I have some shiraz instead? I am willing to share. Any takers?
    Good heavens,I bought this specialty coffee called 'CAF-FIEND extra strong coffee for junkies' the package has this image of a computer nerd with the caffeine jitters and bugged out eyes as he holds a cup of the stuff....I wonder if it would make me type faster. Has anyone heard of this this? I haven't tried it yet-I think you'll know when I have...; )

OK enough crazy talk from me. Can you hear me?

I keep thinking about Honey~

~Babs

• chelone
    18 years ago

Hearin' you loud and clear, Babs.! please consider that I've been woefully out of the loop with respect to MIL. Please provide more background (have asked but sometimes things we post get "lost"). MIL is depressed because she's now minus one (?) leg... amputation at what point? Her PT is lagging and it's because of her depression... ? Other family members aren't "stepping up to the plate"... it's easy to "talk the talk" but "walkin' the walk" is proving a damn site more taxing... RIGHT? Oh man! I've done it all; mostly on my own. I understand, Babs . Your voice comes through, loud and clear. Keep on talkin', kiddo... REALLY. (what's up with the sample making? I've been wonderin' about that for some time now!)

Cynthia, the art piece ISN'T a print. It's actually a piece of metal work! I suspect the inspiration is springtime's cherry blossoms... . It's metal, and it was that aspect of it that came to mind when the whole black iron theme became more evident.

This one is for Cynthia:

{{gwi:188147}}

Lovely, dainty Miss Floey is the matriach of the house. At nearly 15, she gets whatever she wants, whenever she wants. :)

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Just back from a spontaneous Chinese meal with garden friends. The box of chocolates from DH's student seems to have emptied itself...OK, I'm mostly to blame.

Enjoyed the mantle and cherry blossoms Chelone! My Mom had a print of cherry blossoms that was quite similar. Floey is a sweetheart.

I certainly can imagine depression slowing down PT. I hope this is a quickly passing phase Babs! As for SIL, I guess you will never change her. What a sad commentary though.

Thinking Spring!
    {{gwi:188149}}

• Lily316
    18 years ago

I can't believe you mid westerners didn't know Hoosiers..We have them here at auction but I collect from an earlier period.~~After finishing up on the Xmas shopping went to Olive Garden for dinner and saw Family Stone..I love Diane Keaton and NOT because my friends think I look like her. I don't see it..
    Cynthia ..I have TWO cats on my lap and believe me it's no fun typing. BTW..Quiznos is for sale. What's Trader Joes?
    Deanne..How right you are . There gets to be a time when one should get over one's childhood..I'm trying...I am really hurting myself since every one else is dead now..
    Had to run all over the place trying to find gift cards..None at TJ's and finally found them at the dollar store. No excuse now for not wrapping...Sylvia

• Lily316
    18 years ago

Books were being discussed and I meant to mention but had a brain fog that I finished a good one..Panic..Jeff Abbott. I am now reading Mary, Mary by James Patterson. I put myself on the reserve list the other day and I was 255th. I was happy when the library called H to tell him the book was here so I cancelled my reserve since we read at different times..I also have the Andrew Weil book out..

• chelone
    18 years ago

I have a wonderful recording of Handel's Messiah. It's performed by the Academy of Ancient Music under the direction of Christopher Hogwood. It's such pretty stuff!

Daddy is just out of the shower and I hear the blowdryer so the bird must've wanted to get under the water, too. He looks so cute perched on the shower curtain rod, peering down at you... and he LOVES being blown dry. He spreads his wings, chirps along and just totally grooves on the warm air and steady hum of the dryer. Too cute!

I'm hoping for action shots from Sue's party last night. You must've had a wonderful time. I cracked up at the the comment about listening to your arteries harden after consuming the casserole.

I have laundry to attend to and some basic chores, also some gift wrapping. Not feeling very energetic, frankly.

• mybrainhurts
    18 years ago

Spring? I can dream of spring.

{{gwi:188150}}

{{gwi:188151}}~da, the quiet

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Sylvia, Quiznos is a private company that sells franchises and they are indeed trying to sell the LLC. I started researching them last week because I wanted to watch their stock and perhaps buy some, but they're privately held. What's interesting is that they were public on Nasdeq until 2001 when they went private with buy-back. I'll be watching this.

Hi Da! Thanks for sending some Spring and hope you are well. Miss you ~

Babs,no I didn't read your note. Keep the balance. I know it can't be easy, and get some decaf :)

Chelone, Miss Floey looks lovely, how about a pillow back there for her? Non-flammable of course.

I don't know what I'm doing today but I need to make some time for housework!

Later, Cynthia

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Gravel pit meeting here today. UGH.
    Enjoyed catching up with Cynthia, Da, Lily, Chelone etc.!
    Waiting for Sue's party shots, after she's slept in a while longer that is.
    Better go shower now....
    Later!
    'bug

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Is it quiet here this morning, or does it just seem quiet because I'm avoiding doing anything that seems like work? Maybe both :)

Rippie just had a bath and smells wonderful (Avon skin so soft shower gel). I had to rearrange dogs in my office so that he could dry nearest to the space heater under my desk. He's washing himself dry too. I should wash more dogs as it probably adds some humidity to the air in here. Short short fur though so will dry quickly. Grey's don't smell doggy when they get dirty, which is a very nice thing. I just figured it was time to fluff & buff him.

Now what can I do that's easy? Eat? Already did that. Need to clean up front guestroom, since all boxes are now at post office there's not much excuse for the mess that's in there, and the cats want that bed back!

• Jerri_OKC
    18 years ago

You can stop by Oklahoma City PetsMart and get Rippie's picture taken with Santa! I'll be playing 'Elf' and trying to get a couple hundred dogs and cats to 'smile' and look at the camera. :)

Hi all! Ho Ho Ho! Have a great Sunday.

• triple_creek
    18 years ago

Martie I love the idea of the outrageuos outfits. Sounds fun.

Cheers to the party goers.

Cynthia ,our postoffice here has extended their hours even on Sat. I think they were getting to much competition from the other delivery places.

Chelone. Barnes and Nobel was my last stop the other day when I went shopping. By that time I was on shopping overload and tired and didn't buy a thing. I will have to go back when I am fresher. LOL. PS I just saw the mantel photos. I like! Thanks for sharing. A bird? How come we haven't seen pics of him? What is his name?

EP I enjoyed seeing your photo. You remind me somewhat of my MIL who is gone now. Would like to see more of your basket work. I took a class and made a few. But didn't stick with it. Your native type ones would be of more interest to me.

Taryn, Hope your hands are healing and you had a good time with your friends.

V , I was always running interference between DH and our kids when they were teens. Many times he was less than fair. They all seem to be ok with him now. Go figure. Seems the moms have to take the brunt of it. Stinks.

Hi Marian, I don't know about you, but I'm already getting tired of feeding the wood stove. Sure feels good though when Its really cold.

Mary, Sounds like Grand Central Station at your house, but how nice you can all spend some time together, especially with your mom being there.
    I guess your new job is keeping you pretty busy too.

Hi Yeona, Janie, Barb , Brenda, Sylvia and all others.

DH took me out to dinner at Pasta house tonite. Wouldn't you know , when we got home there was a message from youngest son to invite us for dinner.

Nice spring pictures everyone. I am starting to browse for new plants. Think I will have to add a couple of the new echinaceas and sedum angelina for sure. And Miscanthus Huron Blush. Isn't that the one you have GB?

Think I will go see if I can get DH to share the sattlite so I can watch a Hallmark movie.
    Later , Norma

You betcha Babs. I read everyones posts. Just sometimes neglect to respond. I can hear you. Are you bug eyed yet?

Ooh la la Da. Beautiful spring pics.

Smiles Jerri.

As you can probably guess I started this yesterday and finished this morning. Need to go comb out this wet mop of hair. Going to go visit the boys today. Need some wee hugs. N

• chelone
    18 years ago

Without further ado, allow me to present, Larry (bird). He is also known as "Lawrence of Australia", as cockatiels are native to that continent. He is a "normal grey" (natural coloring, not a mutation) and was a hand fed baby. He is fully flighted (we don't clip his wings) and has survived with 6 cats, 4 dogs, and 3 other parakeets, and two wacky humans for close to 17 years now.

He is in his "clubhouse" in this shot; high atop the shelf in the kitchen. He likes to hang out inside a very large stainless steel bowl, too. He likes the reflection and the way it "rings" when he pecks at the side of it.

{{gwi:188152}}

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Chelone! I found his brother outdoors on our front step one day in Toronto. No one reported missing a bird. Finally I called the Humane Society and found a person who had lost their bird and was delighted to have that one. She had all the toys and cages already, I had the cats. Seemed a good deal for all.

• Woody_Canada
    18 years ago

Chelone - I gotta ask - is he house broken? :-)

• chelone
    18 years ago

Sorry, Woody, he ISN'T housebroken. Actually, it's an interesting aspect of birds that they have no control over their evacuatory process at all. When they need to void, they do! if they happen to be on top of your head or cruising around your dinner plate... well, you deal with it. (Never, EVER allow your bird's tailfeathers to cross your plate/bowl and you'll be pretty safe.) :)

Birds are amazingly curious pets. Larry loves to visit the dinner table. He cruises around gently pecking at things that interest him. He loves pasta, rice, and nibbles daintily on lettuce, hardboiled eggs, and shredded carrots in salads. He likes wine, too, and has more than one demolished wine stem to his credit... they are not designed to have a bird perch on them, so we tilt the glass for him now.

When we're done eating he likes nothing more than to cuddle up against your neck and gently preen your hair or clean lint off your clothing. He's a lot of fun.

• taryn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Babs! I read your posts, just don't take notes and time constraints and memory lapses mean I don't always reply. So sorry to hear about your MIL's problems. That must be hard.

Speaking of memory lapses, forgot to congratulatin Drema on the new job! Congrats! Very gutsy of you to do a complete about face after 13 years. Hope you love it...

Hi Da! Hi Norma! Hi Larry! Very cute Chelone, and THANK YOU for posting some seasonal pics! Love the greenery, very festive. Back to birds, I had a long talk with Bruce last night about Cheech, the cockatoo he raised from 6 months of age and had for 15 years. He was his companion when Bruce was a long-distance trucker, and lived in the cab with him for the 1st 3 years of his life. Would not step down to 3rd in the pecking order after Gigi hooked up with Bruce and used to divebomb her, lol! When they had children and Gigi started daycaring they found a home for Cheech with another birdlover. Bruce says he's adjusted well, though was angry at Bruce for a while, but now cruises the neighborhood visiting various neighbors, lol. Walking, as the new owners keep his wings clipped. Many memories of my "hey buddy" friend Cheech...

Speaking of birds, where is Julie aka rara avis been lately?
    And Ei? Hope everyone is well, just busy.

Kids had a blast last night. Bruce is doing pretty well. Gigi is not. Caregiver burnout happening after a year and a half. Also the "not knowing what the future holds" is getting to her. Gigi is the ultimate planner/organizer, and this incurable brain tumour just does not fall into a catagory that can be planned or organized, by any stretch of the imagination. She had me up until 4:00am, too many tears and glasses of whine. Hope the vent helped..

Speaking of too much wine, (previous pun intended) are the east coast revellers recovered enough to share some pics soon? Looking foward to an update from party central. Well, Brennen wants to check out Google Earth. VERY cool if you haven't seen it yet. At least it's more educational then stupidvideos.com or runescape. Hi to everyone...

Back to see party pics (I hop) later.

T

• flowerluvr
    18 years ago

Hi, all!
    V-I can sure sympathize with you! There was a period of time when nothing DS did was right in DH's eyes. And, there ya are right in the middle, trying to talk calmly to both. Most times it included "I think he feels.....", trying to get them both to see the other point of view. It's tough, and I hope it all works out. I did put my foot down when the kids had something going on-programs, art shows, etc. Jim shut down the tractors and went. He's never regretted it. Sometimes he uses farming as an excuse to get out of things, but since I farm, too.....well, it doesn't cut much ice with me ;)

Taryn, I've always been a believer that cleaning is detrimental to your health, lol! I'm glad to hear that you've found something that helps you.
    I had no idea insulin resistance even existed before I happened upon this book. I was so relieved to find out that I wasn't just a fat, lazy oaf...I actually got all choked up when I was reading the list of symptoms-I pretty much had em all. I had done a lot of beating up on myself because I was too heavy, and couldn't stick to a diet and get rid of the weight. And, I was scared witless when I found out what it was all going to lead to. Some very scary stuff! I'm having no trouble at all sticking to the eating plan, and I can't believe how good I feel. It's wonderful to wake up in the morning full of energy again! To have found an eating plan that I honestly believe I can live with is just too cool.
    I think the Bella Dancerella looks so cool! My DD would have LOVED that when she was a kid! The dresses are so pretty.....should be very inspiring!
    Thanks for the anniversary wishes. Bless Jim's heart, he got me flowers. He had dropped me at the grocery store while he went to the hardware nearby. Then, before he hunted me up in the store, he bought the flowers, took them out and hid them in the truck, so he could surprise me with them.
    EP-so good to see you! I love your outfit!

Deanne-I'm down 7 pounds now. I read "The Carbohydrate Addict's Healthy Heart Program", and found out that I'm insulin resistant. Basically, all I have to do is leave carbs alone, except one meal a day. I chose that to be supper. Then, you just make sure that all the portions are the same size. Just eyeball, you don't have to measure or anything. Same amount of protein, carbs, and low/no carb veggies. I can even have something sweet if I want to. Frankly, I was headed a heart attack and/or stroke. I've got tons of energy now. The hardest part for me was getting rid of the sweetener and creamer in my coffee. I've adapted to that, though. As a matter of fact, last night for supper, I had a cup with all the fixin's, and it tasted unbearably sweet. And, I had been sipping on coffee all day before. The carbs and carb act-alikes are an insulin trigger, keeping my insulin levels up all the time. I just have a whole new lease on life. Not quite two weeks ago, I went and gave blood, then stopped at the library 'cuz I was out of stuff to read. Was tired of novels, so I wandered over to the biographies, and from there, stumbled onto this book. If I'd have stayed over in my usual part of the library, I'd never have found it. And, I've talked to my doctor a few different times about low blood sugar. He'd do a fasting glucose test, and tell me everything was fine. Turns out, not so much. I had gotten my cholesterol down with diet, but still didn't feel as good as I thought I should. I can't WAIT until the next time I see him, lol!
    BTW, I like your take on the family meetings and feelings. It took several years, but I did break Jim of telling me "you shouldn't feel that way" when I would express my feelings on something. He was pretty much raised that "feelings" are for lightweights, and you should just buck up and move on. Translates to "ignore the problem and it will go away". He's becoming quite enlightened.

Sylvia-your Mom sounds exactly like my DH's mom. It's sad--not only are they hurting the people they love, THEY'RE missing out on what a truly loving relationship they could be having with people. Both of my kids are staging a revolt about going to MIL's for Christmas, because they just can't deal with her negativity. She's forever making remarks about how lazy kids are these days. My two kids both bust their butts, work overtime, and are incredibly responsible. Never a kind word.....

Marian, are you feeling better? And, did you get the snow??

Babs, I've said for years that I'll never regret time I spent coloring or whatever with the kids rather than cleaning. MIL is the opposite. The house MUST be clean. To each his own, but people seem to feel a bit more comfortable in my "slightly dingy" house. From what I've gathered, you do quite a lot for your MIL, so no need to feel guilty for tending to some of your own things. Seems like there are people in every family who try and do it all, and those who do nothing. And, those are the ones who usually critique the performance of the "doers".

DA!! I haven't "seen" you in ages!!!! Nice pics!!

Finally, the Christmas tree is up, and decorated. Did that solo for the first time ever. Christina came just as I was finishing up. She says I did good, but I just don't think that decorating is my strong suit. I had a good time, though. My brother had loaned me the first season of Arrested Development. I've always meant to watch it, and never seem to catch it. Pretty comical. And, I did laundry and washed a few windows. Feeling good feels pretty good :)

Okay, here's my contribution to spring. Can you tell I farm, lol!?! For some reason, I don't seem to get many spring pictures taken, and have posted this before, so for those who have seen it, sorry!

{{gwi:188153}}

I think it's time for some coffee and cross stitching. Jim is off ice fishing, and won't be home until dark. The living room had to be rearranged to get the tree in there, and now I can see out the nice clean windows from my chair.
    Have a good evening all!
    Brenda

• chelone
    18 years ago

Here is my paltry contribution to springtime:

It's hard to believe it will once more be warm enough to sit outdoors.

{{gwi:188154}}

Nothing says "spring" more than irises.

{{gwi:188155}}

This variety smells incredible!

{{gwi:188156}}

• just_t
    18 years ago

Neat to see some spring photos!

Nothing much to share from here, but just thought I'd pop in to say 'hi'.

:oD

• Monique z6a CT
    18 years ago

Finally had a chance to post the photo. Sorry for the delay.

{{gwi:188157}}

We had a great time last night-plenty of good food, drink, company and conversation. Sue and Tom put on a wonderful party. I don't think either of them sat down until almost all of the guests left. We had to stay until after midnight just so we would get a chance to talk to them. Their house is so festively decorated and the Idyllers (me and my hubby, Deanne and her DH) took over the comfy livingroom for the evening.

I've been enjoying everyone's spring photos-keep 'em coming.

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

Last night we went and watched Kenzie while her parents went to the office Christmas party. We had so much fun. What a fun age. She is starting to talk. She can thank you, Lucky (the dog) nana, poppa, no, hi, momma, dada and several more. She also has learned to point at what she wants. I was rocking Kenzie and Lucky wanted up in the chair, so I let him. She keeps leaning over and kissing him and laughing. Pretty soon she lays her head on his back and they both fall asleep. She likes to kiss dogs but not humans.

A little more baking is done. I took a walk with Jaden, crisp and sunny. This evening at church was the Sunday school Christmas program. 2 of Ricks grandsons were in it.

Lovely spring pictures. Its nice to see Brenda and Chelones gardens.

Brenda, decorating the tree without the kids help just isnt the same to me, but I have been doing it solo for a couple of years. Maybe in a year or so Kenzie can come help me. That is what my mom did with my kids. She would have them over to help her.

Taryn, sorry to hear that life is weighing heavy on Gigis shoulders.

Chelone, I love your decorations. The fruit and wheat are nice touches. Nice job on the mantel as well.

That must have been some party. You all look lovely as usual.

I took these while walking by the creek. I'm lucky I didn't fall trying to get these. Considering I had Jaden's leash in one hand and the camera in the other.

{{gwi:188158}}

{{gwi:188159}}

Michelle

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Good evening all,

Well, what can I say except that the party was Fabu-Fabu!!!!!!Sue and Tom are simply the most outstanding hosts and put on the best party ever. Their home is decorated wonderfully. Even our guest room was decorated for Christmas. The food was out of this world and into the next. Everyone had a terrific time. What a treat it was to be able to visit with Les and Monique and do 'plant talk' while sipping our beverages of choice and nibbling on Sue's whoopie pies etc. Sue and Tom worked all night long and like Monique said didn't sit down until most of the guests had left. Sue and I wound up visiting until 2:30AM! I don't remember the last time I stayed up that late. Doug crashed around midnight and Tom turned in around 1:00Am but Sue and I had a fantastic, long visit. What a great weekend. Thanks Sue and Tom! Les and Monique, wonderful visit with you! A real treat to see my Idyll friends.

So now we are beginning to plan our February "Winter is Almost Over Dinner" (Optimistic you think?LOL)party in NH, Heads up Idllers, party in Feb in NH. We'll check out the calendars and get dates set so hopefully more of you will be able to join us. BTW, we have two guest rooms here if anyone needs a sleep-over, first to ask gets the overnight accommodations.

OK, I'm absolutely toast and have a long day tomorrow. Tomorrow evening is our last dance class and I'm hoping we can retain what we've learned until we can start another set of classes. I'm thinking starting to learn Rhumba next time. What fun!

Have a great evening all,
    Deanne

• babzclare
    18 years ago

Chelone-MIL is minus two legs these days. Leg #1(6" below the knee) was removed March 2005 and Leg #2(6" below the knee)followed in Aug. 2005. She's been out of the hospital since October and basically a prisoner in her own home now(unless we are there to take her out-snowy weather limits things dramatically)-that's why I understand the depression she must be having. She's in the process of trying to sue the doctor who got the amputation process going after he debrided a foot wound that initially was almost completely healed. I still can't believe that his assistant debrided the wound without ANY antisceptic prepping of the wound and then proceded to debride the wound deeper than had been normally done(or should have been done)even after MIL protested that this was not the usual procedure for the last several years. This was a new doctor since her previous one moved and it's not even conclusive that the new doctor even reviewed her long history. We are SO lucky that she has a series of pics showing the progressive healing of her foot. What is troubling is that this will also thrust Chris into the legal process since his mom needs his support. Yeesh I bet you're sorry you asked: ) and this is all in a nutshell.
    Does Larry(bird) act silly after he sips wine? I wonder how many sips it takes for a bird to get drunk...lol
    That ironwork piece is unusual-where did you get it from? Thanks for posting your mantle. Nice job.
    As for the sample job I did post about not taking the position. I learned the boss tends to butt heads and is difficult to work for mainly because she is fairly disorganized and will leave you hanging for weeks after a job ends. I also would have only been utilized when they had large runs of samples to do so I decided it wasn't worth it. I think I will try to make a go starting up the home business I did years ago unless something really great comes along.

Norma-no I haven't gotten buggeyed yet-I'm scared to try it! Actually I have about one more pot of regular coffee to go before it's time to open the bag of caf-fiend: ) did you have fun with the boys?

Taryn-I thought Bruce was doing well-is he not? I guess my last memory of the pics in summer are what I'm going by-he seemed to appear quite healthy then. I think for anyone not knowing when your spouse's inevitable time is up would be horrible and much worse when the caregiver is highly organized. How is Bruce dealing with it all?(I feel too nosey!) as I think of it my mom(who is VERY organized)had a real problem with my dad's lengthy illness and not knowing how much time he had left. She ended up deeply depressed-keep your eye on Gigi-would she get some counseling to help herself?(you are her therapist huh!) Hey just being a good friend who listens probably was a big help to Gigi. You really have been a sweetheart to her.

Brenda thanks for the pep talk! While I played hooky from visiting MIL I was able to get started on my Christams cards,made a batch of sugar cookie dough,and enjoyed Christmas carols with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir...they had a hard time fitting in my livingroom; )
    I'm so glad you are figuring out the ins and outs of insulin-good luck for continued progress!
    That spring pic of yours is beautiful-lots of great elements in that shot! I like the movement of the vertical trees jutting against the horizontal lines of the flowers and fallen tree stump!

Thanks for your empathy Cynthia & GB

Is this too long? it's OK, no one will read it anyway(lol). Do I sound like Eeyore? It's Ok, I'm just teasing you guys.

~Babs

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

Do a Rhumba for me Deanne. Never learned it but wish I had. The 3 of you are beautiful and it's fun to hear about the fun. Michelle and other 'grammies' your posts sure bring back memories too! It's so wonderful when they come home even for a short visit. We had our tamale feast yesterday. Last night we watched 'Sound of Music' and then I googled for bios of the 'real' Maria. Nice to have a family talented enough to bring in income. Interesting to learn that they are continuing on at the lodge in Vermont. Nothing better to do here today than to crochet hats and sip tea enhanced with some of the rum left over from the dessert I bought it for last Christmas. Nice to see photos and hear of adventures. You've 'heard' and 'seen' most of ours. The dry cold continues. We prefer that to snow as our community has no snow removal equipement. The ones who have to drive out to work 'blaze a trail' for the rest. Yes, we've succeeded with rosemary but have never tried it inside. Our 'Arp' rosemarys have survived for several years and are now about 3 feet tall. I don't keep anything inside during the winter any more. I put a chaise where the plant stands used to be and now enjoy the sunshine myself when it is available. It's interesting to 'read' about all of you. EP

• babzclare
    18 years ago

Look at the festive idyllers! You guys DID have fun I can tell-what time was that pic taken?lol
    Glad you had fun and as usual looked ravishing!

Michelle those are impressive shots even if you weren't juggling the leash and camera! Very cool ice crystals(no pun intended lol)

~Babs

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Michelle! Is that hore frost? Gorgeous photos, you did a great job, so glad you took your camera with you.

I see Sue already consumed her personal bottle of Korbel, while Deanne and Monique were still working on their's. Nice outfits all around! You guys look great (flushed) but great :)

Eden are you there? I finally put in my Chiltern's order. You didn't list what you ordered, and if I like to cheat and know what others have ordered so I don't miss anything good... tell me anyway. Here's what I ordered:

STROBILANTHES ATTENUATA
    PLECTRANTHUS MIXED SPECIES
    AGAVE MIXED SPECIES
    HOVEA CELSII
    ERODIUM PELARGONIIFLORUM (*)
    GERANIUM ARISTATUM
    ABUTILON VITIFOLIUM
    ALONSOA MERIDIONALIS
    MUSSCHIA WOLLASTONNII (**)
    NIGELLA HISPANICA 'Curiosity'

(*) Great Erodium, very neat, not weedy, terrific foliag and lost it the second spring.
    (**) Google this one, it's really cool plant.

Lots of tenders, but that's best for me since I've run out of room, but still like seedlings indoors in winter :)

Brenda, what a beautiful photograph! And Larry, very nice to see you ~

That's it for me, have to read Babs now. (Hi Babs!)

• Lily316
    18 years ago

Great party pictures. You all look fabulous and festive. I went to a quiet Xmas dinner at a friend's house. Unfortunately she has aggressive breast cancer and will be on chemo for one or two YEARS!!She goes to Hershey Med every Tuedays and is not feeling well at all as you would expect. It's a downer for all who are her friends as she actually doesn't know if she'll be here next year. But none of us do. Sort of like the movie I saw last night. Her sons saw it and we told her not to go. She has a fabulous cape w/ wonderful antiques, which is how I met her back in the day..28 years ago, and she decorated it all up much better than slacker me did..
    GD called and found a kitten which she brought in their house. It sat on her lap all night and DS said absolutely it's not staying. They have two rescued cats, DD has two and I have 7 so it'll go to a rescue group. They sent me a pix. Hard to resist but I will...sylvia

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

Looks like I'm not the only one up late...Well, definitely hitting the sack after this!

Enjoyed all the thoughts of spring! Everybody's pics were just gorgeous...Katie is a vision under the Magnolia! I know they're messy, but I just love the way the blooms flutter to the ground and lace the lawn...my yes, you *can* do spring! :-) GB those trollius are so luscious and Deanne your pics are stunning, as always! BTW, thanks again for sharing your "Driveway through the Seasons" plan, I really enjoyed it and you are so generous to share that with us, quite an inspiration! Da The Quiet...so good to have you pop in and share your lovely spring pics and Brenda your pic really made me swoon, then again I love bright and such warm colors like those are such a treat when all is in black and white here right now! :-) Oh well, I won't complain, I really *do* love all the season, though winter could be the month of December and that would be just enough for me! :-)

Hi Taryn! Thanks for the Patsy Cline song...I *love* that songone of my all time favorites...that's what I call a "belter" and very therapeutic! Have you ever tried singing along with her in your loudest voice? LOL! Boy I belt that one out and by the time Patsy and I are done I feel *so* good...Bessie Smith does that to me too! Nothing like a really good *blue* song to cheer you up!:-) Loved your Bella costumes too! You are the Ebay Queen! Did I tell you I was inspired after V did an Ebay to do my own? You guys may remember that I had a power point system I wanted to sell? It sold with the buy it now price!?! Whoo hoo some unexpected cash flow (pretty pricey item) and it couldn't come at a better time. I am totally psyched! The only thing Taryn, is the guy hasn't left me a feedback yet. What could that mean? Well all and all it was a good experience and if I ever have anything I want to sell again, will definitely try the Ebay route. Still worried about the buyer though...why wouldn't he leave me a feedback? It's been 4 days since he received it and even though it was an expensive item, he really did get a great deal - half of what Paul paid for it last year brand new and it has never been used. Oh well, I'll check again in a few days and see whether he left any feedback.

Speaking of the Bella costumes...Martie...I loved your story about buying over the top outfits for your nieceswhat a fun aunt! :-)

Marian you were an adorable little girl! :-) And I loved the whole family pic...so sweet!

Sorry I haven't been much up to posting. I have been down for a week with the nastiest cold I've ever had and the my sinuses were blocked...yuck! My whole right cheek was swollen for several days, but seems to be going down now. Tonight we went to a Christmas party at a friend and neighbor's. Fun time, fun house. They are really into the retro. The house was a 50's house to begin with and they renovated it back to its original style, pink kitchen walls with turquoise counter tops, even an old gas stove...very fun and brought back many memories of my childhood. Felt a little like the odd man out as everyone there was either an actor/actress or a musician, but they were all very sweet and funny and I had a good time. Santa and Mrs. Claus made an appearance (actually actor friends of theirs who had a gig at a childrens hospital and came directly to the party from the gig).

I think I'm almost caught up with the reading and know I will forget to comment on many things that I meant to, but wanted to tell Honey and Michelle how sorry I was to hear about their friends. I hope you are holding up okay Honey, I wish I could say something to comfort you, please know that you and your friend are in my thoughts.

Babs I'm so sorry you're family is going through such a rough time right now. It breaks my heart to think of your MIL "as a prisoner in her own home" and know it breaks your family's heart too! Sounds like your little family had a fun craft night! :-) You have a wonderful family and I admire all the special moments you make for your kids! When I look back, I never regret having not washed a floor and I cherish all the special memories I have of simple times spent with my son; coloring, decorating the Christmas tree, baking cookies, working on jigsaw puzzles, reading a bedtime story...some of the sweetest, most profound memories of my life come from those simple moments. All in all it really is a wonderful life.

Okay, speaking of a wonderful life...yes, I watched that last week! Okay, so I'm a sucker, but I just *love* that movie...one of my absolute *favorite* Christmas movies. BTW, if any of you know when White Christmas is coming on, will you let me know? Sis and I need to bone up on our "Sisters" actLOL! I just wish dad would be here too to see us perform again. Have to admit, it's very unreal to me when I think about Christmas coming and dad not here with us. But I *do* have so many wonderful memories of him and *if* we are encouraged to perform the sisters act again this year (LOL)I plan to see dad there smiling back at me...in fact, I can see him right now! LOVE YOU DAD!

Wanted to tell Lily how much I loved her home..love the candles in the windows...so cozy and comforting! BTW, enjoyed all your kitty and fish pics too! :-)

Loved the pic of EP too...what a warm lovely smile and you *are* a vision in purple! Love your gorgeous baskets too and the Hoosier cabinet. I watched The Sound of Music too! :-)

Mary & Michelle have been meaning to tell you both for weeks how lovely your rooms turned out. Mary the room looks so warm and inviting...I bet your Mum loved it! Sounds like you're having a crowded, but warm and wonderful holiday season! :-)

Michelle I love the colors you picked for your room too...green is my favorite color in the world, but my favorite color combinations are browns with blues, something about those two colors together I find very soothing and natural.

Chelone I love your style and your little cockatiel...I've always wanted one. I think they have the sweetest faces! Loved your spring pics too. Do you know the name of that fragrant iris of yours? I am a sucker for fragrance and love irises...what a perfect combination! :-)

GB your song is stirring a memory for me. I'm sure that was the song in a movie I saw when I was a kid, cant remember anything about the movie, *except* that song and I remember I just cried when they sang the song...hmmm...wish I could remember what movie that was...

Hi Jerri! Hope you had fun at Petsmart today! I wonder if they are doing those pics at our Petsmart...would love to get one of Scout with Santa! :-)

Michelle - got such a kick out of your post tonight...I can *hear* the delight in your voice and it brings such a smile to my face to think of the smiles McKenzie brings to yours! She sounds adorable! :-) Ohh...love your frost pics!

Oh Deanne...you guys look so cute! Oh, and before I forget - been meaning to post these! Hope you like Dainty Bess, she really is a sweetheart...I just love her coppery filaments and she has fragrance too! :-)

{{gwi:188161}}

{{gwi:2100702}}
    Hi T! Hope you're okay?

Keep your faith in beautiful things;
    in the sun when it is hidden,
    in the Spring when it is gone.
    - Roy R. Gibson -

{{gwi:188163}}
    {{gwi:188164}}

{{gwi:188165}}

{{gwi:188166}}

Oh, and had to share these...Guess I've always had a thing for snowmen...

{{gwi:188167}}
    {{gwi:188168}}
    {{gwi:188169}}(horrible pic of me, I think I was sick when we took that picture - but the goof that I am, I gave my gloves to the snow man...LOL!)

I took a photo of the snowman Paul and I made the other day, but it came out all blurry...think there is something wrong with the camera; it *couldn't* be me...LOL!

Hmm, seem to be slipping...not nearly enough smiley faces...so here's a few more for you all... :-) :-) :-)
    :-) :-) :-) and sweet dreams all!

Ei

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

We listen to 'everyone' who shares here and Babs has always been on top for bringing smiles and admiration, even through challenges. Everyone has admireable qualities. Reading the 'challenges' has also been 'character building'. Taryn, had been wondering about your friends. Shift work can be so challenging. Sometimes it is the root of a lot of stress. That and traffic. As an Air Force family we had to learn to 'adapt' (like it or not) but 'adapting' is continual as life changes. Making the right decisions for dealing with changes is also challenging. Teaches us the meaning of 'faith', 'hope', and 'endurance'. Marian has been such an example for that. Smiles and gardens are two of the world's most healing things. Hugs too. We are so glad we chose a 'retirement' home built by a singing, gardening, Dutchman who enjoyed it while he was in possession. We've 'personalized' it with positive changes and a modifications. I'm so glad I have printed off pictures of some of the smiles and gardens and the people who have shared them. BTW, our cabinet has a tag on the back of one of the drawers with name of a furniture Co in Leavenworth, KS but we didn't see any manufacturer's trademark. It's always interesting to be able to connect an object with the past and imagine who might have made it and used it. A Cherokee elder once told my father that we never 'own' anything. We pay for the 'privilege of use' even with 'relationships'. How something is used or appreciated makes the difference. We are born with family, choose friends, and build relationships. Thinking of all. EP

• flowerluvr
    18 years ago

Geeze, Michelle...my pics aren't that sharp when it's just me and a camera...can't imagine if I had one of the dogs on a leash to hold as well. Lol, might make a fun guessing game on the Idylls, tho.

Taryn, I can't even begin to imagine what Gigi's going through. Too many unknowns are hard for a highly organized person. I bet she's SO glad to have you to talk to.

Ei-Some folks are slow about posting feedback on Ebay. I'm still waiting on one from several days ago for some embroidery floss I sold. I figure no news is good news. If they had something to gripe about, you'd have surely heard it by now ;) Sorry to hear about the cold-in my family we joke about having the "Warren sinuses". Unfortunately, they don't make Kleenex the size of bath towels!
    Your pictures are great! The mirror behind the tulips is a nice touch.

EP-I like to know the story behind things,too. That's why I enjoy watching the Antiques Roadshow-they're very good about explaining how things were made, etc.

Babs, what a nightmare for you MIL! And, you and Chris, too. The amputation would be bad enough to deal with, but for it to be caused by incompetence.....there just isn't enough a court can do to make up for something like that.

Had the best of intentions of finishing up my shopping today. Bad thing about having more energy is that I'm easily side-tracked by little things I ought to do. The house is a bit cleaner, but by the time I got done fooling around the house, I decided I'd just wait until morning to go shopping. Since I'm awake really early these days, I'll head to the 24 hour Wallyworld in the morning.

Now, I'm going to attempt to make some flax muffins. Jim curled up his nose, but I bet he'll eat them. I started on milled flax seed a while back to help lower my cholesterol. Since I'm not doing oatmeal for breakfast anymore, I need to find another "hiding place" for it.

Have a great afternoon, all!
    Brenda

PS-Sue, Monique and Deanne-what a stunning group you all make. Deanne, you shouldn't have let the cat out of the bag about coloring your hair. I'd have never guessed. With some folks, it's obvious, others you'd never know. I've had stuff done to mine before, and have come to the conclusion I'll have to learn to live with going grey.