Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanneart

December 15th visitors

deanneart
16 years ago

I spent a lovely couple hours in the blind yesterday and enjoyed lots of bird activity. Here are a few photos of my visitors yesterday.

Goldfinch

{{gwi:188184}}

Song Sparrow

{{gwi:188185}}

One of my favorite visitors, a Carolina Wren

{{gwi:188187}}

Dark-eyed Junco

{{gwi:188189}}

And another Junco

{{gwi:188190}}

Downy Woodpecker

{{gwi:188192}}

I also had lots of Jays, Mourning Doves, a Common Redpoll, House Finches, White-throated Sparrows and others but didnÂt get good photos of them. Maybe IÂll try for some snow shots today.

Deanne

Comments (16)

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Such fun Deanne! Here the visibility is low due to snow, and only a few birds are out scratching for birdseed. We mostly have mourning doves, juncos and goldfinches, but a few nuthatches, and jays.
    Keep on posting! Glad you got out there at all!

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Oh Deanne, thanks for these. I love studying the detail in your bird photos. Their eyes, beak, feet, and the patterns of their feathers are so interesting. Beautiful work as always. The birds are having a feeding frenzy at our feeders this morning while there's a lull in the snowfall. I could sit and watch them for hours and I can imagine how peaceful it must be spending time in the blind. I envy you!

Eden

• just_t
    16 years ago

Gorgeous photos! Thank you so much for sharing them and your talent Deanne.

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Great pics, Deanne. I don't think we have the song sparrow here. I espacially love the wren and the downy.

• anitamo
    16 years ago

Amazing photos. You have such a variety of birds there to keep you busy.

• Jerri_OKC
    16 years ago

These are just wonderful. It's like being there in person. Thanks so much for sharing them with us!

Jerri

• saucydog
    16 years ago

I love seeing them so close up! The wren reminds me of a cantankerous old man!

Thank you for sharing!

Saucy

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

Beautiful photos Deanne! The detail is amazing. We just started feeding the birds for the season and I hope the squirrels take a while to discover the feeders.

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

I think the Carolina Wren is my favorite..thanks for letting us join you in the blind from the comfort of our warm houses ..fabu-fabu pics !

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Wow! Each photo is just stunning. I have one of your goldfinch pictures on my desktop now, but I think I'll have to choose one of these to replace it. It will be hard to choose just one. Thanks for sharing these.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

(Hi Monique!!!)

• gldno1
    16 years ago

The pictures are wonderful! Surprisingly we have the same birds with the exception of the Song Sparrow. How I envy you your camera, except I wouldn't be clever enough to use it...I am trying to decide between the Lumix DMC-FZ18 or the Canon S5 IS just for the bird shots.

We are feeding the birds too and need to figure out a way to keep the dratted Grackles and Mocking Birds from eating the suet cakes.

I always look forward to your photos and recently got highspeed so I can enjoy them. I had almost given up with dial-up. It grew progressively slower.

A regular lurker,

gld

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

I love all the sweet little birds Deanne and your photography is wonderful! Can you tell the difference between the male and the female goldfinch in winter? Do they both turn bright gold in spring? I love your little dark eyed junco on the pot rim...he looks like he was modeling for you..."That's right Deanne...take *my* picutre...aren't I lovely?" :-) I love all the detail - down to his little feet....look how long his nails are! LOL!

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Stunning! I never realized how polka-dotted the downy is.

Thank you, thank you!

How do you get the wren to match the background so well?

V.

• deanneart
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for your lovely feedback. So happy you like the birdie pics. I not only love doing the photography but also love spending the time outside observing the birds.

V. Dumb luck with the Wren matching the dried hydrangea blossoms he just happens to be in front of.

Eileen, yes you can tell the difference between male and female Am. Goldfinches in winter if you look very carefully. They are extremely variable so it can be a challenge but the males are a bit brighter and can have some yellow on their head and throat area, also, they can have a few dark, blackish feathers on their heads where their black caps are in summer. The males' primary and secondary wing feathers are pure black and the females' can have a slight brownish cast to them.

Second year males will also have a bright yellow shoulder patch that you can see in this photograph. The females never have this. You can also see the smattering of black feathers on his head as well.
    {{gwi:188195}}

Here is a photo of a female in winter plumage, you can see that she doesn't have any bright yellow on her and is overall more olive.
    {{gwi:188198}}

And I'm assuming this is a first year male as he doesn't have his yellow shoulder patch. You can see the sprinkling of black feathers on his head and the pure black primary and secondary feathers. Compare them to the photo of the above female. Also notice the more yellow coloring in his head and throat area.
    {{gwi:188207}}

Deanne

• Full_Bloom
    16 years ago

Thanks Deanne for all the info. I can tell you've been studying birds for awhile. You have a keen eye. :-) I would never have noticed such fine detail and would never have guessed the female even was a goldfinch without your telling me. At first glance I would have just thought she was some sort of sparrow. Thanks!
    Ei