Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendy2_gw

Idyllunion #5 - 2008 - Any thoughts??

wendy2
16 years ago

Deanne mentioned this in the current thread, but I thought it would stand out more here.

I had such a great time at IU4 that I am definitely ready to do it again!

Let's throw some ideas out there and see what sticks...

Comments (61)

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

Well, since most of my trips midwest/east have been business I haven't seen much except hotel rooms, convention centers and bars lol ! I have however never been anywhere in New England . Too bad we don't know anyone in Denver, there are some great gardens around there , and the Denver Botanic gardens are supposed to be pretty cool.(and west of the Missippi too, Chelone !)
    NY was mentioned, what about the Hudson River Valley ? Aren't there quite a few public gardens , estate gardens etc there ?

Kathy in Napa

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

Hubby and I had also been thinking (for a while) about the Hudson Valley, north of NYC. We could still visit the NYC gardens, but might want to save those for the w/end to avoid rush hour traffic near the city. Gardens to visit could include: New York BG, Brooklyn BG, Wave Hill (in the Bronx, just a few miles from NYBG), Stonecrop Gardens (55 miles North of NYC, originally the home of Frank Cabot who started the Garden conservancy), etc

http://www.stonecrop.org/
    http://www.nybg.org/
    http://www.bbg.org/
    http://www.wavehill.org/home/

We just had a visit to Maine in September and the Coastal Maine BG in Boothbay is fantastic! I havenÂt had time to upload my photos, or I would show you. We stayed in Boothbay Harbor at a nice reasonably priced hotel on the water. We only checked out one other public garden, but it didnÂt thrill me. IÂm not sure what else is around that area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stonecrop gardens

• wendy2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK Saucy, Hawaii it is! Never been there, always wanted to go.

Seriously though, some great ideas here. Denver and Indianapolis are intriguing, though I don't really know much about the gardens in either. Kathy, how are the bars in Indianapolis?

Maine is a possibility, though things are pretty spread-out there. Boothbay Harbar is about an hour north of Portland, and Chelone's area is about an hour south of Portland. Bar Harbor is another scenic coastal spot, but it is 3 1/2 hours north of Boothbay Harbor.

New York really interests me, I have been wanting to see Wave Hill and the NYBG. Stonecrop looks lovely too.

I would also love to go to North Carolina, home of the Biltmore Estate and Plants Delights, but as Saucy says it will probably be a steambath in July. The PNW also intrigues me.

Chelone, we'll get you across the big muddy one of these days, never fear!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

My vote is for whatever will draw the most idyllers. I don't mind traveling distances but I know some of you do. NYC is definitely a horticultural hotbed in the public garden department. You could spend a whole day at the NYBG. The challenges would be finding reasonably priced hotels and getting a group around in the traffic.

Maine would be great in July, especially if we could find a bunch of private gardens to round out the itinerary. Based on past experience, social events in private gardens seem to be the most popular of the idyllunion activities. lol

Is there anyone in the group who would like to volunteer to host? That would be a good place to start.

Sue

• denisez10
    16 years ago

What a complex undertaking, and I'm not even sure I'll be able to attend, having vaca time spoken for with the parents already. BUT for practical purposes, my vote would be NYC. I've got to see the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Impractically speaking, opposite ends of the earth for many idyllers, I've always wanted to see the gardens on Bainbridge Island which would seem to have lots of gardens to see in a small geographic area, which would be ideal, since too much lag time traveling to and from gardens would seem to be the issue.

And I spent the last half hour googling garden cruises. Can you imagine the frivolity? Group rates?

• denisez10
    16 years ago

reading prairiemoon2's comment re all the snow cover and rain for the East Coast -- perennials should be stunning this spring/summer, right? Perhaps we should follow the tracks in the snow....

• david_5311
    16 years ago

Hi Idyllers! Just thought I would check in and I find this thread. Good time to be thinking about this of course.

We have a fairly busy summer here though that does not mean finding a weekend to come to an Idyllunion. I think with Dotty and Eden not up to hosting in Michigan that it is probably not a good year to come here. My garden is starting to pick up steam but it will be better in another year or two. Having been involved in the hosting here and some of the hosting in Philadelphia (mainly working with Carol), I can confirm that it is a lot of work as most of you know, and I think Sue is right that the most important thing would be to identify who can do that.

The private gardens have been such an important part of this whole experience (along with the good times and friends of course) that it would really be great to go somewhere where we would have some 'in' to private gardens.

I have been to the Denver BG and it is a great place though I know nothing else about gardens in that area. Many good gardens in and around NYC though just getting AROUND in the NY metro area for a group would seem like a nightmare. Pretty expensive to stay there too I would guess. Maine appeals to me a lot, I have been to a few gardens there and spent lots of time there as a kid. If we were going to Maine it might be nice to combine that with one of the North Hill (Vt) open days (or would that just be too far away...?).

I have been through Indianapolis once but never saw any public or private gardens there.

California is pretty far for a weekend but someday I would LOVE to go make a garden tour in CA, especially to see some private gardens. I have seen quite a few Bay Area gardens but never any around LA....

So we are interested but probably can't help organize this year.

Cheers to all, David and Jim

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I'd love to go to Maine again...but I'm not sure yet that I can go anywhere this year.

• saucydog
    16 years ago

All right! Enough is enough! Even David is wondering where we are headed this year....

So is it New York?

I think we've eliminated the South - too hot. Michigan is not ready for us again :) and Kathy is not settled in PNW yet.....

Let's toss some more thoughts around and get the ball rolling.

Saucy

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

It seems that a large group is really hard to deal with and organize...so maybe I'll settle for one or two of the small get togethers this time around. By then Phoebe should be better trained. Perhaps Mary's idea of a visit to Buffalo's garden tour would work for me.

• denisez10
    16 years ago

I dropped into the middle of an interview on our local public radio station KPFK on the Garden Conservancy garden open days, and maybe a reunion can be linked with some of these tour dates. I'm going to attend the Pasadena tour this weekend.

• denisez10
    16 years ago

edited to correct attending the Pasadena tour this month. But lots of tours in Connecticut in late June. The Buffalo garden walk, which is I think separate from the Garden Conservancy open days, is legendary and probably a good rallying point.

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Buffalo would be fun but if we end up having to relocate I won't be there to coordinate or even join you:0( I'm having to put all summer plans on hold till we know what is happening. This in no way reflects lack of interest - so carry on till I can jump back in.

Mary
    (thinking fondly of past Idyllunions)

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

I too was thinking of using the Open Garden Days as a possible point of access to private gardens -- we could either go in an area where they're open or contact some of the folks privately to see if they'd let a small group come by --

I do think the greater New York area could hold some charm -- anyone else interested in that area? Would folks from the Midwest/West come join us?

--Cindy

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Here are July options for NY State:

July
    July 12 Dutchess County Open Day Dutchess County, 07/12
    Amenia, New York
    July 12 Eastern Long Island Open Day Suffolk County, 07/12
    Cutchogue and Mattituck, New York
    July 12 Ithaca Open Day Tompkins County, 07/12
    Ithaca, New York
    July 12 Ulster County Open Day Ulster County, 07/12
    Olivebridge, West Hurley and Willow, New York
    July 13 Eastern Long Island Open Day Suffolk County, 07/13
    Cutchogue, East Marion, New Suffolk and Southold, New York
    July 13 Syracuse Open Day Madison County, 07/13
    Cazenovia, New York
    July 20 Columbia County Open Day Columbia County, 07/20
    Canaan and Chatham, New York
    July 20 Westchester County Open Day Westchester County, 07/20
    Bedford, Bedford Hills, Bronxville, Cortlandt Manor, New Rochelle, Scarsdale and Valhalla, New York
    July 26 Dutchess County Open Day Dutchess County, 07/26
    Millbrook, Pawling and Salt Point, New York
    check Denise's link above to go to the state and see the individual gardens mentioned....

• denisez10
    16 years ago

I probably won't be able to join the reunion this year either but still want to see one planned to enjoy vicariously!

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Good start!

Are there any public gardens in any of those areas? That might help pick a destination, too.

I am not good at coordinating things, so please forgive me, but if any of you can think of things that need to be done, I'm good at being a worker bee :)

I really would like to see as many of my Idyll friends as I could this summer! I'm really sorry that I missed out on meeting Ei and Michelle for IU3!

Saucy

• wendy2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everyone! Glad to see this thread has been brought back to life. New York works for me. My New York geography is severely lacking, but I believe that Westchester County is not too far from New York city. Isn't Wave Hill in the Bronx? I'll have to look at a map later today if time permits.

Chime in Idyllers, what do you think of a NY Idyllunion sometime in July?

• saucydog
    16 years ago

I liked the Westchester July 20th garden descriptions....very interesting.

Hello Wendy!!!

Saucy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Hi Wendy! Have been wondering where you've been. [g]

I would love to join the group this year but I have learned from long experience that I just can't make plans ahead of time. So, whatever plans all of you make will be great for me. NY is close enough for a drive if I were able to come. Since I have never been to an Idyll, do you usually stay a weekend? Do spouses attend too or not?

pm2

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

PM2, you'd LOVE IT! Husbands are certainly welcome and usually surprised with how nice everyone is, how good the food, etc. Others don't have the nerve....It's usually a weekend, some stay longer or only attend a few specific things that fit into their schedules. The planning is horrendous!

• saucydog
    16 years ago

I ordered this brochure....can't hurt to have it :)

"Fourteen notable public and private gardens that are open for individual and group tours are listed, including those at Kykuit, the Rockefeller Estate in Sleepy Hollow and the Caramoor Center for Music and the Arts in Katonah. Each description includes points of interest, its history, the species of trees, plants and flowers.

Additional information includes: months, days, and hours of operation; admission fees (if any); and the types of tours that are available (guided or self-guided, group or individual). Directions to each place utilizing public transportation (trains, buses, and taxis) is also listed. Funds from the D.O.T. Smart Commute program made the printing of this brochure possible."

Here is a link that might be useful: Westchester Gardens

• chelone
    16 years ago

Lol, "the planning is horrendous". Sho' nuf is. ;)

Last year was my first Idyllunion and it was a total blast. What really struck me was how everyone was just the same as they are here. I have pretty good sense of humor and can find a laugh in just about anything (regardless of how inappropriate) and there were times my sides just ached.

I am willing to provide a transport pod and my schedule is very flexible. The governor of Maine has caved in to the egregious civil rights violations so my driver's license should be a reliable ID for the next year/two (until the next stupid regulation is introduced). ;)

The helpmeet is suspicious of these gatherings, PM2. He is warming up (knows he'll have to actually "meet" some of you, lol) but I am certain after "his first time" he'll be jus' fine...

:)

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

Here are websites of gardens in the NY city area that I've provided before. If we stay in Westchester county or somewhere north of the Bronx, driving around would hopefully not be a problem since we avoid Manhattan.

WaveHill is 10 minutes from the New York Botanical Garden. Both are in Bronx, NY and have cafes. Brooklyn Botanical Garden is obviously in Brooklyn, a bit south of the NYBG and Wave Hill. Stonecrop gardens is in Cold Spring (Putnam County), ~ 1 hour north of the Bronx.

I like the idea of going to the private gardens that are open as part of the Garden Conservancy Open Days.

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

I'm totally brain dead after a very long day, but despite all that, NY sounds good to me. I have almost no knowledge of the area in terms of garden attractions but I will trust Monique's recommendations.

Once we set a date, I will see what SIL's might be available and we can host the party room.

And if Chelone is driving, I will offer to track dog poop into her car once again! (she hates dogs, you know)

V.

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Im going to bump this guy back up -- Im not so good on geography either and havent had the time to plot this out on a mapquest but

if we did the July 20 Westchester County tour -- staying out in that area somewhere -- would this itinerary make any sense? Fri., 7/19 -- Coldspring and something else nearby; Sat., 7/20 the Open Gardens in Westchester -- pick some we're dying to see; Sunday, 7/21 venture into NY (thinking this is the least busy day to ventur downtown) -- Tower Hill, NYB and if time the Brooklyn Botanic?

What say everyone? Would the weekend of July 19 work?

--Cindy

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

I'm checking with my dogsitter right now for the w/end of July 19th. However, we're supposed to go to hubby's parents for their 50th anniversary which he told me was the following w/end, but I'm having him call them to doublecheck the date first. I should know more soon.

The westchester garden conservancy open day is only Sunday 7/20, not the 19th, so we don't have an option there. So, we could potentially go to Wave Hill and the NY Botanical garden on Saturday. Both WH and NYBG are directly off exits and should be easy to get to on the w/ends as long as there isn't an accident to block the highways. They are not in downtown (what I consider Manhattan). Wave Hill is open from 9-5:30 and the NYBG from 10-6. WH is free from 9-12 on Saturdays, and since they open an hour early, I would suggest going there from 9-11:30 or so, then head over to NYBG for lunch and touring all afternoon. WH is much smaller and can be seen in a couple of hours. It should only take about 10 minutes to get from one to the other.

Just some ideas.

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

It helps if you look at the right calendar to check days, doesnt it, Monique? My bad, what a doofus.... and unfortunatley I do consider anything within 10 miles of Manhattan "downtown NYC", country hick that I am.... but Im game...

unless there's another weekend that works for others better and another conservancy open day that was intriguing...

Input, we need input, from anyone interested in meeting up this summer, if there's another weekend that works better for others?

-Cindy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

At this point all my weekends in June and July are open.

Sue

• wendy2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Monique, thank you for clearing up the geography issues!

That actually sounds like a good plan to work with for now. The weekend of July 18-20 looks okay for me.

-Wendy

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

It would be so much fun to take part once again. I won't know until closer to the date though, so I'll just observe the progress of plans. It all sounds grand.

• chelone
    16 years ago

Lemme check my loaded social calendar and enter it into the Blackberry...

Yup... looks like I could squeeze it in. ;)

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

That weekend works for me. I would not be able to go the previous weekend - too many folks gone from the office that Friday for another event.

Thanks for keeping this rolling!

V.

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

Heard from the dogsitter and the inlaws and the w/end of July 19-20 is ok for me.

• saucydog
    16 years ago

I'm open that weekend, too.

LOL, Chelone.....

Saucy

• saucydog
    16 years ago

I requested the Westchester Garden brochure with an explanation of Idyllunion and they sent 12 brochures...they are put out by the local tourism group so they include hotels as well as local gardens with descriptions.

If anyone would like to use these in planning, I'd be happy to drop one in the mail for you.

I have looked at a couple of the hotel options, and am going to pull together some prices...is this how we start? Anyone who has done this before, feel free to lead this horse to water....I'll drink :)

you can email me at naljet AT hotmail DOT com

Saucy

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Um, I guess I should've finished cleaning out the box....there are 30 brochures...

Don't be shy about your request, even if you just want it out of curiosity :)

Saucy

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Good for you, Saucy - assuming others are on board for this -- we seem to have a number of missing voices on the geographic location....

You'll have to excuse my ignorance re the region and Im sure I'll be making more mistakes but I looked at a few hotels in the general region of Bedford/Bedford Hills / Westchster Cty area -- there was a Holiday Inn Mt. Kisco that had room rate of $167 a nite -- I guess we're going to find it's all around pretty pricey in the region -- we'll probably all be wanting to double-up, eh?

Im happy to be a worker bee too but feel I probably dont have enough knowledge to start intelligent discussions about some of the logistics - but am happy to work if given some guidance by others who might have familiarity with the area.....

Times awasting....

-Cindy

• chelone
    16 years ago

Is it time to "submerge" and take this private?

• wendy2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, I second that emotion - let's go with emails on the details. We can include everyone on this thread, and if anyone is missed they can post here and we'll add them. I have the addresses from last year at home - I'll try to send out something this weekend.

-Wendy

• Jerri_OKC
    16 years ago

Can just any Idyll crash the Idyllunion? My birthday is the 17th. It could be my Birthday present to me! ;)

Jerri

• saucydog
    16 years ago

YES! Any Idyll can crash...and it's not really crashing because your ARE an Idyll :)

Email me if you need any help, or you just want to see a brochure for fun's sake :)

Saucy

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Holding out hope that I can make at least part of a day ... When the itinerary is set could you include me? Won't need a place to stay, etc. and have no idea if this will really happen, but there is hope! There's a Metro North train stop right at Brooklyn Botanical if driving into the city is causing any angst ......

Have fun with the plans, guys!

Martie

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Great Jerri and Marti! sure hope you can make part of the festivities. I sure wish everyone could make it!
    Deanne

• Jerri_OKC
    16 years ago

I might come a day or so early. Is there a reasonably close place I could visit the ocean without a ton of people being there? I know that's a tough request for July. :)

Jerri

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago

It's a long shot that I can do this, but would like be in the loop so that I know the dates hotels etc in case I can pony it on the back of a business trip.

Please advise !

Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Jerri, maybe you could fly in up here and we could show you parts of our NH and Maine coastline? Chelone lives in a beautiful part of the world. Then we could drive you down with us to IU5.

Kathy, Woohoo!!!! That would be so fabu-fabu if you could make it also.

Deanne

• Jerri_OKC
    16 years ago

That sounds fun! You have mail.

Jerri

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Bumping this up. I'm going to look at airfare.
    This is exciting! :)

Jerri

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Reminder: Changes or reservations to the hotel have to be made by June 17th.

Jerri