Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veronicastrum

Idyllunion 2006

veronicastrum
18 years ago

Okay, Sue told me it was time to do this!

I'm willing to do this as long as everyone promises not to laugh at my garden. I don't have the drop-dead gorgeous gardens of some of the past hosts, but you can all come pull some Canada thistle and tour the woods, wetlands and prairie restoration. And there are some great places to visit around here, including Northwind Perennial Farm, Rich's Foxwillow Pines, the Chicago Botanic Garden, the Morton Arboretum. If I knew how to embed links, you would be able to check out all of their websites. Also, I just might be able to arrange a tour of a wholesale perennial nursery, if anyone is interested in that.

I'm looking at two different weekends - July 7th to 9th or July 21st to 23rd - for the core festivities. The weekend in between is my husband's birthday so I'd like to avoid that one if possible.

So, take it away, idyllers - what works for you?

V.

Comments (63)

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Count us in too. The second weekend would be better but we could do either one. Can't wait.

Eden

• just_t
    18 years ago

We hope to attend, too.

T.

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

As of now either work. We will sure try to make it.

Michelle

• Monique z6a CT
    18 years ago

I contacted my friend in IL with the dates b/c we will be visiting her and her hubby before or after the Idyllunion. (BTW, her MIL works in the gift shop at Morton Arboretum 1 day/week). Sounds like either w/end will work but the first might be a bit better if we want to see them b/c her hubby goes back to work in the middle of July (teaching). So, hubby and I plan to be there. Thanks V for organizing this!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Wow, this could turn out to be the most well attended Idyllunion yet! Mark the weekend(s) everyone.

Sue

• babzclare
    18 years ago

I do at least want to try and come. I was hoping to ditch the kids and DH(shh) though Chris says there's ton of kid fun in Chicago. I'm going to try and be there either way though. I regretted not making it to IU2.
    Does anyone remember when Drema's DD's wedding is this summer? I couldn't remember,I wondered if she could also get time off from her new job.

~B

• chloehoover
    18 years ago

well, as a newbie, I am dreaming about joining you guys - would LOVE to meet you all and see some of these terrific gardens.... my "dancecard" is presently open for both suggested times -- assuming you guys really wouldn't mind some new bodies joining in....

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

No question about that chloelover!

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bug is so eager for Cindy to join us she had to change her from chloehoover to chloelover! Couldn't resist the tease!

Gotta run at the moment (car in the shop again - a "lazy acctuator")but I will work on compiling the responses and decide on a weekend by the end of this weekend.

Bellarosa, yes it's Woodstock! You are more than welcome to join us. Please email me if you wish and we can chat "privately". And by the way, I grew up in Chicago as well! Given the small town nature, it would be funny if we found out that we already knew each other!

V.

• lilybelle53
    18 years ago

Well, I had to make a new member name because I wanted to respond to Babs question about my daughter's wedding. She is getting married July 1. I would like to go to the idyllunion if I can. I will probably have to come up late Friday night. Last year Honey had mentioned the Cleveland contingent possibly riding Amtrak to Detroit and then riding all together from there.. I haven't look at that, but if they are still considering that, I would be up for it:)

Guess who?:)

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

Hey Drema! Too funny I was wondering how this 'new idyller' knew me so well lol. Since the IU3 is a ways off I'm still figuring who with and how I'll get there. The train could be an option or maybe a carpool? My one thought was that if a bunch of us come from the northcoast by train we will need transportation once we get to Illinois but maybe that isn't an issue? Imagine us seeing Illinois all packed into V's hybrid; )
    I still need to find out if Chris seriously wants to tag along.
    What as relaxing way to wind down from your DD's wedding-seeing all your garden friends. I hope this works out!

~B

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Babs, don't you remember that environmentally I'm just average? The other vehicle is a GMC Suburban. I can haul 8 gardeners and still have room for plants.

Welcome, Lilybelle. You remind me a lot of my friend Drema!

Honey was kind enough to email all of her worksheets to me, so I will start filling them out!

V.

• Monique z6a CT
    18 years ago

V-hubby and I will probably rent a car since we'll be visiting our friends during that time also. Depending on where we stay, we should be able to help with some of the transportation.

Monique

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Uh Monique, aren't you the guys who took the wrong exit and got lost last time? ;-) (just teasing!)

• deanne2006
    18 years ago

Oh boy, oh boy, is this ever going to be fun. BTW my niece and my best friend's daughter are getting married this summer and I had to tell them not to plan the weddings on the Idyll weekends. I'm probably going to sing at one or both of the weddings. Any chance we've settled on a particular date yet? July is getting filled up pretty fast for me.

Deanne

• lilybelle53
    18 years ago

Hi. Just a quick pop in before I go show some houses this afternoon. I checked on Amtrak, it was more expensive to take the train, and it leaves Cleveland at 2 AM. I think I might fly, or drive if Babs wants to ride together:) I am not good driving in Chicago traffic. Happy Saturday!
    D.

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

As was pointed out, we haven't set a date yet. Any thot to making it the end of June instead? I was thinking that it's usually not quite so hot then and the gardens would be "fresher". Also, there would probably be more to select from in any nurseries, lol.

I know some have to work around school schedules. Ideas, anyone?

Honey

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

June is high gardening season! I would certainly try to go with the flow on dates, but really like July for the simple reason that I can't leave my garden when it looks fabulous in June and everything is happen daily. (Now gardens like Honey's look fabulous all the time, mine on the other hand....:-)

I do like the July dates and hope we have a 'final date' soon so that I can start working coverage issues for work and figure out doggy care.

Thanks - Cynthia

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay, by official idyll fiat, I hereby declare the 3rd Annual Idyllunion to be scheduled for July 21st - 23rd, 2006.

Honey, I have to pass on the June dates because I really can't take vacation time in June. And my DD will be on a trip that last weekend and I will really need her help!

V.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

OK, I just marked my calender! Great, I love having things to look forward to-especially now.

Sue

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

COOL! Drema I just emailed you about a road trip: ) Yeah my eyes bugged out when I saw the times the train leaves!!! I don't know if I'm good driving in Chicago traffic but I will find out huh; ) BTW ignore the stuff about the train in my email...Taryn you too(you've got mail!)

Aw V that's the weekend that I have to regrout my shower ....NOT. It sounds good to me!

~Babs

• bellarosa
    18 years ago

V,
    I couldn't find your email address. Its great to hear that you live in Woodstock too. I love living here! Anyway, do you have a separate email address that I can write to you at?

Bellarosa

• Monique z6a CT
    18 years ago

V-can't wait until then! Thanks for planning the Idyllunion 3-2006!

Monique

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

V, great! Glad we have a date to look forward to. Cynthia, your gardens look incredible all the time! What'ya talkin, girl?! Sheesh.

Babs, Drema, Mary, (Taryn, Marie, Janie, too) as I indicated in my email to youse guys, if you want to drive here, leave your cars and go the rest of the way by (party) train, we'd love to have you spend the nite before and/or after. Pressed, I can bunk 8. The train station is near David's (half hr. away).

V, if we decide to come in by train, we can rent a car so you're not so pressed with transpo logistics. Let us know.

Ok, you guys. Are you interested in the train idea?

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

Honey-sorry I meant to thank you for that offer! It's been crazy here so I didn't get to answer all my emails. I think once we figure out how everybody's traveling they can possibly take you up on your offer. As for myself and Drema we won't be able to get on the road until Fri. afternoon since she's got limited vacation time at her new job. We'd be returning to Cleve. by Sunday afternoonish. It makes most sense for us to drive directly into Woodstock and stay there-I'm sure the fun will have already been in full swing by then! If we were coming out earlier your offer would definitely be an option though. Drema do you have any sick time? Don't you think you'll be having an 'ailment' the Thurs. & half of Fri. before the IU3? lolol.

Drema I didn't have a chance to email you but I'm fine with your time frame for travel.

~Babs

• drema_dianne
    18 years ago

Hi! I was able to log in as myself this time..good thing, since I forgot the password for my other persona...too many new logins, passwords, etc. this year. I am getting confused.

Honey, you are the sweetest! Thanks you so much for the most generous offer of bunking at your home. I can't leave until Friday sometime, because I lost all of my vacation days and sick time when I switched jobs, and it takes a long time to save them up again.

Babs, we can connect up later and make concrete plans when it gets closer.

It is freezing here, and we have snow on the ground. Ithink I got spoiled with the mild weather. Have to go show some houses TTYL

D.

• jories_mom
    18 years ago

I have not posted much in a while but I might be interested in attending. What kind of notice do I have to give for confirmation? Kris S

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Would it be OK for me to invite my gardening friend to join us? She would really enjoy it! I don't know if we are getting too big a gathering for this, but Lynn and I might drive there...

• david_5311
    18 years ago

I cannot promise for sure since my living situation for the summer is a little uncertain, mainly in that I don't know how many kids and when they might be living with me. But I will indeed be living in my big new house then, with Jim. And it is a huge house, though I may not yet have all the BRs furnished. But we are close to the train station (less than 5 miles), and so if somebody needed a place to stay and were going to take the train from Ann Arbor, I might be able to help out. I think we would probably drive to the Idyllunion but I don't exactly know whether we can come for Friday or would be coming Friday evening. The train ride is 4 hrs to downtown Chicago from AA.

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kris, why don't you send me an emial through my member page and I will add you to the list. Pretty soon we will move this discussion to all-email at the request of a few participants who would prefer to keep the specifics of the get-together a little more private.

Marie, you're more than welcome to bring Lynn.

David, hope that things work out so that you can come. Unfortunately, I found out that as of last fall Craig Bergmann has closed the garden center. Perhaps by summer someone else will have opened the location as a garden center? It would be a shame to lose the display gardens.

V.

• ahughes798
    18 years ago

I would like to attend, too, if no-one would mind. July 21-23rd..and Woodstock is practically next door! April

• Monique z6a CT
    18 years ago

Southwest has opened their reservations past July now, so I checked and from Htfd to Chicago is $200 RT before taxes. I'm going to book it this coming week before the nonstop flights fill up. We're coming out on Thursday, then leaving probably the following Wednesday. We're extending our vacation with my best friend and her hubby who live in IL. She has a small garden at her house that has many of my divided plants and she has also bought some of her own.

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

April, you are more than welcome! Again, email me because we will do specific details via private email.

V.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

The party train is sounding good to me. Maybe I'll fly to Detroit and take the train too. If not I'll probably fly in on either Thursday night or Friday and leave on Monday.

Is it best to fly to O'Hare or Midway?

Sue

• deanneart
    18 years ago

V. do you have any recommendations for those of us flying in as to the best times so we can coordinate and try to arrive and depart at the same time?

Sue, I think Southwest only goes into MIdway so I think that is where I'm going to wind up. V. came and went from there for our party last month and it worked out well for her. BTW Doug has been thinking of coming with me this year.

Deanne

• babs_clare
    18 years ago

V-can you send me your email address? I'm not sure that I have the correct email for you. I have questions about hotels in your area. Drema and I are talking about flying in since we have a shortened time frame and driving would take up quality idyllunion time! We also were wondering if anyone else was going to be arriving in IL Fri. afternoon so we can coordinate being picked up from the airport. I hope there's enough room for us...or will we need to rent a car?

• taryn
    18 years ago

Yes please, when would be a good time to try to coordinate arrival and departure times? All the cheap flights and most of the non-stops are long gone now, (unless V wants to adopt me for a week, lol!) but I still think I'd prefer to fly. Though if Sue, Honey, David et al opt for the party train, that sounds like fun too!

T

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Idyllunion update - I have emailed everyone who said they were interested. If you haven't gotten an email from me, please email me through my member page (or use my regular email if you have that addy from previous correspondence).

If you haven't gotten a message from me, it means that a.) I have the wrong email address for you, or b.) I can't do a good job of assembling names from a bunch of posts. LOL! It DOES NOT mean that I don't want you to come! So please get hold of me and get in on the planning.

Just to be cautious, we'll be finalizing all plans via email and will not be posting further details on the web.

Looking forward to a fine time in July,

V.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Woo hoo, I just booked my flights for IU3! It was quite an ordeal between dealing with resetting passwords and figuring out usernames on CapitalOne for the rewards and Expedia for the flights but I persevered.

For anyone looking to book close timewise, I arrive at O'Hare at 6:30 Thursday night July 20th and leave on Monday the 24th at 1:05 PM.

V, I'll e-mail you the specifics privately.

Sue

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Hubby and I also arrive Thursday evening at 6:30 (Sue, we're probably on the same flight). However, we leave on Wednesday to go home b/c we're spending time with friends after IU3.

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

I sent V a message week or so ago (did u get?) w/ my arrival time -- arriving about 6:50 pm O'Hare Thurs. nite & out on Monday a.m. at 11:00

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Looks like Lynn and I will be arriving in the EARLY afternoon. I guess we'll figure out something to do....

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

As I'm trying to coordinate airport pickups/dropoffs, I thought I would post a word of warning to those who need to wait to be picked up. There is almost nothing to do (restaurants, etc.) outside the security area (boarding gate area) at O'Hare and virtually nowhere to sit other than the floor. So if you are getting in early, DO NOT leave the security area! If you go to the baggage claim, you will leave the security area and will not be able to return to the security area. You can plan on one of two things for your luggage: first, only bring a carry-on so you don't have to go claim it, or second, know that if you don't pull your bag off the luggage claim after a certain length of time, it will be moved to the office area where you can claim it later.

If anyone has any questions on this, let me know. Thanks!

V.

ps - if you haven't yet emailed your flight info to me please do so soon so I can coordinate all the pick ups!

• taryn
    17 years ago

As V knows, it's official, I'm booked! Arriving at O'Hare via a Detroit detour on Thursday the 20th at 3:45pm. (With carry-on luggage only and a good book to wait in the security area for Cindy's 6:50pm flight to come in, lol!) Will be departing Monday at 10:10am. Whoohoo!!!!

Taryn
    (who had better get packing or I'll be a basket case by that weekend, 3 weeks before we move, lol!)

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

I AM NOT NAGGING. I'm just curious to know if a schedule of any kind has been sent out and I missed it? By coincidence, Kaveh will be in Chicago for a wedding at the Botanical Garden and I wondered if we'd see him there!
    No matter what we do, I'm ready for a get-away!!!!! :-)

• just_t
    17 years ago

I so wish I was getting to attend. I hope you take lots and lots of photos.....and that you'll have a wonderful time. I'll be thinking of you and hoping it is the best Idyllunion yet.

T.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Ditto to what Teresa said ! If my circumstances were differant, I sure would be there.!

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Yes, I was wondering about a final schedule also b/c my friend Phyllis and her hubby Matt will be driving up from southern IL and want to know where to meet us on that Friday late morning.

Can't wait to see everyone again and to walk around the IL gardens!

Monique

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oops! I was just working on compiling everyone's schedule and came here to get Taryn's flight details and saw these messages.

I am planning on visiting the Botanic Garden on Friday. I'm in the process of figuring out the timing and logistics of the visit, but basically it's a large, beautiful destination with a good restaurant for lunch. We should arrive mid to late morning and will spend most of the afternoon there. So that should solve 'bug and Monique's immediate questions.

Now back to compiling flight schedules...

V.

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, everyone should have an email from me. If you didn't get an email please let me know!

V.