An alternate tydll? Baby It's Cold Out!

Carry on, friends!

Saucy

Comments (101)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

We're just about to head over to Randy's brother's for reveillon supper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reveillon

• Full_Bloom
    13 years ago

{{gwi:189134}}

{{gwi:189136}}

{{gwi:189137}}

{{gwi:189138}}

{{gwi:189140}}

{{gwi:189141}}

{{gwi:189142}}

{{gwi:189143}}

{{gwi:189144}}

{{gwi:189145}}

Michelle...Kenzie is growing up so fast. She looks just beautiful in her Christmas outfit...like right out of the Nutcracker...

I gotta get to bed now...Merry Christmas! Ei

• yeonasky
    13 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone.

I want to Revilion. I'd have to do it on December 23, as we have Christmas Dinner on the 24th a la Danish style.

Thanks for the photos. Sweet girl, in a cute dress. Love the Christmas song and card.

I'm actually headed for bed, so I'll just say Merry Christmas to Idyllers and to Idyllers a good night!

Holiday Hugs,

Love to all,

Yeona

• saucydog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm checking my computer one last time before I close the laptop and head toward the airport. We're heading to California as a family for Christmas this year and we've got a jam-packed itinerary.

I just wanted to wish all of my Idyll friends a very Merry Christmas. I hope to be good and update with plenty of fun photos. It seems a few gardens snuck in on the list of things to do :)

I'll see you in the New Year, if not before!

Saucy

• gardeningmary
    13 years ago

Happy Christmas everyone!!

Much fun here with Mum visiting from England. Presents included a box of Twinkies for David who has always wanted to eat one, and a Creme Brulee torch and dishes. We feasted on turkey with all the trimmings and will have snacks of leftovers throughout the evening followed by Creme Brulee - yum! We just finished a Scrabble game and are lighting a fire to sit beside while we watch Fiddler on the Roof. A slighly off-beat tradition that reflects DH's heritage and everyone loves.

The very best wishes to all!

Mary

• chelone
    13 years ago

I have done virtually no reading. Still dealing with pop ups but have not addressed the browser issue, either, so I have no one to blame but myself.

Snowstorm on the way, I believe... bay window awning came down this AM, I've stuffed the woodbox in the Salon, and stowed several items that were clogging the bahn.

Christmas was delightful here. Very relaxed and my decision to eschew "dinner" in favor of a day long buffet was embraced heartily after great initial skepticism. No pictures, but the sideboard did look pretty.
    1.) under the antique cheese dome (my maternal grandfather's family): Blue Cheese and a lovely pate. Nearby, a genteel cracker and condiment assortment.
    2.) in my maternal great-grandmother's covered serving dish a delightful fruit salad, with whole milk yoghurt nearby.
    3.) Candy's delightful Crustless Cranberry Pie cut into dainty portions. (whatever happened to her, anyway?!)
    4.) Devilled Eggs artfully presented on great-grandmother's china, too.
    5.) Mimosas (coffee was earlier in the morning)

Later that same day:
    1.) Cocktail shrimp
    2.) Barbequed ribs
    3.) home grown Brussel Sprouts
    4.) an assortment of very posh holiday chocolates
    5.) a reprise of the cheese, pate, and remaining devilled eggs.

I have received a TracFone. I have activated it, but am still fumbling with its usage. Pretty funny, actually. I also received a new hand mixer (yay! the old one died making frosting months ago). Also received, a battery-powered, illuminated pepper mill, and a book. Helpmeet received new slippers, wool socks, a music stand lamp, and handmade pyjama trousers and a "dress up" shirt. He opened those boxes and looked at me, "did you make these?". Uhuh. "They're the best gifts I could ever hope to receive".

Catnip bombs in tissue paper for the pride, rumba bones for Wrecks, and a large hunk of stew beef that has been judiciously dispensed.

Time now to provision the house for the coming snow... hmmm, what might we need before Tuesday afternoon?

Snuggle up, friends.

• drema_dianne
    13 years ago

I'm so glad you all had and are having such nice holidays! Beautiful trees, decorations all round! The kids came over yesterday and today is a catch up day. I am so lucky to have you all in my life, I would like to thank you each for sharing yours with me!

Looking forward to more idyll adventures as the New Year approaches.

Stay warm!

Drema

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Happy today dear friends!

I sit here with hot tea and honey and the tissue box. :( But all is quite wonderful with chirpy children's voices and squeals and giggles, family and food and good ole Indy dog. Skyler is with his Mom and will go skiing for 3 days in Jasper.
    I think the plan is to begin the annual Christmas puzzle, once the kitchen island is cleared off.
    Chelone, by "hand mixer", do you mean what I call an egg beater? I've searched for one for 3 years now...
    :)
    'bug

• chelone
    13 years ago

NO, 'bug! to me a "hand mixer" is an electrically powered device that is capable of creaming butter or whipping egg whites in a small, steep sided bowl.

I have at least one of the hand held, manually generated beaters. If you need one, I can supply one!

I have to say that the shot of Ivy asleep on the sofa in front the tree still lingers. And I am blown away by how grown up Kenzie is these days (where do the years go, Michelle?). I hate kids (and dogs) but I have to say that for kids, they're OK. (don't push your luck, Cindy... :))

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Good morning Idylls ! Nice to read of all the merriment both here and on FB. And I see both Scout and Ei�s elves came to see us. Good show !

Chelone, we always have a buffet ; it�s been our tradition for many years, typically on Christmas eve. This year we had to swap things around a bit to accommodate everyones schedule but it included V�s cheddar pepper Palmiers which were received with accolades �thanks V ! Oh, and re: Candy, I recall there were some family issues there and she had to 'be away' for awhile.

And it has stopped raining today, so we will venture out to a couple of the local antique stores , and a bit of a walk-about downtown , Mexican food for dinner and maybe a movie. ..and then it�s back to the awfice tomorrow.

All for now !

Kathy in Napa

PS . From what I hear re: weather , sounds like Saucy bailed out of NE just in the nick of time�.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

I sounds like everyone (except for the sniffling, 'bug) had wonderful Christmases. Love the musical (in my mind, anyway)card, Ei!

Chelone, I am going to steal your Christmas day buffet idea for next year. Sounds perfect! Hope you are all battened down and cozy-ready for what sounds to be a blizzard coming your way.

It is snowing here, but we are only supposed to get about 6 inches. The fire is crackling and I am quite content. Annabelle is up on the loveseat that needs to be recovered and Clouseau is in and out and in and out-he loves the cold, especially when there is snow.

Our Christmas was lovely, too. Quiet and fun-well except for the time the dogs (all three-grandpup, too)got through the fence to the neighbor's yard because they are dog sitting a couple of little yappy things-lots of excitement as DH tried to mend their rotten fence which has allowed ours to get over there. I suspect they will use this as another excuse to try to get us to share in the cost of a new fence. Ain't gonna happen. DS and sweetie showed up around 2:00 after spending some time with her parents. We had them until late into the night. When I can find the connecting thingamajig, I will post a pic of my favorite gift. I hope you all will get a kick out of it. I think my new year resolution had better be to organize all the accessories for the camera, computer, iPhones (loving it, but still trying to learn about it). Rather pathetic-if I can find the camera, I can't find the cable needed to download the pics and vice-versa.

DH wants to go see "The King's Speech" today when he gets back from his meeting. Guess I need to let the fire die down. :(

• chelone
    13 years ago

We're expecting "our daughter the lawyer" later this evening. A friend of many years, she's now fully fledged, and the mother of the Wrecking Crew. One of our great delights is having our many, "far flung" friends "come home to roost" periodically.

Only in the past few years have I begun to contemplate the "temporary" nature of "family". On the Compound all parents are now dead and gone. And we're, "on deck". A sobering thought if ever there was one! esp. because kids are not part of the scene.

My appreciation for the bittersweet aspect of Christmas is heightened and, I believe, deepened as a result. I'm "good with it". At least for now... who knows what ensuing years will bring to my perspective.

Kathy, convey my warmest wishes and appropriate felicitations to my FB friends, willya? I miss them and just don't have it together enough to deal with it right now.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Oh, Chelone. It is a little discomforting for us to "be on deck" as you so aptly phrased it, isn't it? DH was so funny the other day when we were talking about something age-related-forget now what it was ;) - and he had this instant of complete shock when I said something about being so close to 60 (59 in April). His expression of utter confusion made me laugh. he said he never thinks of me that way (old, I guess) and he thinks of us as in our 40s still.

There are so many bittersweet moments these days. I wish you more of the 'sweet' side.

• chelone
    13 years ago

The esteemed helpmeet could begin collecting SS come spring. Interestingly, I am shocked because I think of "collecting" in terms of MY age... fully 10 yrs. younger than his! As has been historically evident, I'm aware of our age difference but on a more personal aspect; the age difference is rather shocking when viewed through the prism of tax planning. Isn't that funny?

Still, though, the difference in our ages presents some very real difficulties. Not the least of which is the "gap" with respect to health insurance. I see that we will "lose" coverage as costs increase due to our "cost" in the eyes of our insurer and our ability to earn decreases.

I never thought worry would increase with age. I now see plainly that we will have to make a calculated choice between paying for health "insurance" or saving for our retirement.

I am very afraid and am very offended!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Chelone, I'm not sure the worries I have now are increased or just different. I do think they have taken on a greater urgency in that health issues can so quickly become so very serious. We just don't bounce back quite the same way as we did even 10 years ago. I am feeling better now that DH is "on the wagon", although when I recently asked him if he is starting to feel better now, he said that he just feels the aches and pains more.

We weren't expecting him to have to retire yet, so that is an issue to which we haven't adjusted since my salary has been frozen for two years now and my stipend for being a National Board certified teacher has become a casualty of the economy.

Still, we plod on just as you seem to be doing and with luck will continue to do so for many years. Can't let the bast@#*s get you down.

Oh, we did go to see "The King's Speech" and there is nothing not to like (except perhaps that Churchill is too jowly). I highly recommend it as a wonderful diversion and a bit of history (the speech therapy) that I didn't know. Any time I think of that period, I am so struck by the luck we had with our leaders then, both in the US and the UK.

Alas, now there is no cozy fire. I will wait until morning to start another. I envy those of you with wood stoves. Off to put on my jammies, and settle in for the evening. Yes, I know it is early, but I am desirous of total comfort at the moment. #@&* wish I had a bottle of B&B hidden around here to add to the eggnog! ;)

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Hopefully everyone had a fabulous Christmas. Christmas eve and Christmas dinner were quiet for us with just my parents. We spent the night there since the roads weren't the best. My sister from Wisconson was supposed to come but the weather kept them home. Christmas night we had Rick's kids and families over. Things were far from quiet. Of course there was lots of good food consumed over the two days.

Things are quite lovely here with snow on all the evergreens and hoar frost covering everything.

'bug, you have company as I caught another cold when I was just about finished with the last one. Poor timing and its getting mighty old.

Cindy, did you act appropriately for a grandma and spoil that little granddaughter? It sounds like Stella is pretty entertaining.

Cyn, I'm jealous of your week off. What a great way to recouperate from the holidays. I keep the cord for the camera permanently plugged into the desktop computer. Although, I can now just plug my SD card right into my new laptop and download that way.

Ei, what fun so see your delightful elves again and the picture of Scout on the proch is perfect.

Mary, enjoy your time with your mum.

Chelone, your day long buffet sounds like something we like to do. I like a buffet, although a bit more challenging to keep things at the appropriate temps. I received a dip chiller earlier this month from a friend that will be a nice addition to the buffetware. My DH could have started the SS last year but has chosen to wait a bit.

Christmas and family...most of mine were absent this year with both kids and Kenzie all out of state for the holiday. It hit me a bit hard since last year was the same because of our Christmas blizzard. DH's children are all pretty much in this area and so all 4 and all the grandkids were present on Christmas night. I felt just a bit sorry for myself. It probably didn't help that I wasn't feeling 100% either. I was very thankful to spend the time with my parents though. DH's are gone. My mom was a bit down that my sister couldn't come, but was thrilled when we accepted the invite to stay over.

Drema, I echo your sentiment. I have made such precious friendships here. Each of you hold a special place in my heart.

Michelle

• Full_Bloom
    13 years ago

How great to see so many faces here...Hi Drema!...Happy to hear that Bug & Mary are having fun with family and sounds like Saucy is having a wonderful trip. And congratulation on the new puppy Cindy...she sounds like a sweetheart!

I have to agree with Michelle & Drema...even though I'm not here often, I think fondly of you all and very often. I too miss so many of the girls that have gone to FB. Family and friends have been trying to get me there for a couple of years now, but I can barely keep up with this forum, don't think I could fit FB in..even though so many old childhood friends, family and present friends are there now too. Heck seems like everyone is on FB these days...I guess I'm a throw back.

Chelone..I think I understand how you are feeling, my girlfriend Dotty has been voicing those concerns (her hubby is 13 years older than she). But I always like to remind her of my bestfriend Anita, whose husband is 18 years her senior (they married when she was in her 30's). Anyway, he just turned 80 and is still playing sax professionally in a jazz band nearly every week-end (he also writes music for other bands on the side)...so you just never know what the future holds. :-) Without getting morose I have to admit I worry about my son after hubby & I are gone, he won't have any close family left and I don't know if he & the DDIL will ever have kids (I'm okay with it...as long as they are happy together - that's all that matters to me and they *are* two peas in a pod. I love how much they love each other :-) Anyway my parents are gone and my brothers and sister (who is pretty ill) are quite a bit older than me, so I *do* sometimes worry that there will be little family for our son when we are gone. Christmas sometimes brings those thoughts on, but I think of Dr. Phil's wise words..."Keep your expectations low for the holiday and then you won't be disappointed"...lol! I know it's kind of silly and oversimplified, but I kind of "get it" too...another way of just saying live in the moment and enjoy. I really try to make an effort to live in the moment as much as possible, though of course I don't always succeed. Sounds like you did just that with your perfect Christmas buffet...I *love* mimosas...one of my favorite drinks...right up there with peach bellinis and cosmos! :-) I have to make a shameful confession...Champagne is the only "wine" I truly enjoy. I get ribbed for it too since hubby is a wine afficianado (sp.?...another sign of getting older...I can't seem to spell anymore...sigh). Anyway, one of my closest friend's hubby is a wine distributor. He is always bringing new wines to our house to try and I am totally embarassed that I can't appreciate it. I feel bad too because I know that a true wine lover would really find it all such a treat. Most of the time I just fake it and nurse my one glass all night and hope that he doesn't notice. ;-)

Well girls, I need to get to bed, but just wanted to drop in and say "Hi" and try to be *here* living in the moment as much as I can! :-) BTW, I'm taking my pics off PT. My subscription ends soon and I'm not sure if I will sign up again or not, so I want to get my personal information off asap.

Good Night All! Ei

• veronicastrum
    13 years ago

I hope all of you had a lovely Christmas! It was a busy time, and my cold won a few of the rounds early on, but we had a nice time with family and plenty of wonderful food. My favorite gift is my new clock radio that lets me preset stations and has a dock for my ipod. A close second is the book Life by Keith Richards.

Spent some time yesterday at a party talking with one of my older cousins, Loretta. She's in her late 70's, widowed now but with 10 children she's far from lonely. She was reading the newspaper not long ago and saw a long obit for a name she never heard of. In her words, she decided to read it to "see what he'd done to make his life worth so many words." She learned from the obit that the man, who was 95 when he died, had been a doctor in Chicago and he and another doctor had perfected the technique for transfusing blood in newborns that had incompatible Rh factors. Loretta sat down and wrote a letter to the man's family, saying that she had never met their father, but his work was responsible for the healthy births of 9 of her 10 children. The man's son called her after receiving the note to say that it had touched the whole family. They had a nice conversation and found out that they knew some people in common. I thought it was such a sweet story.

Gotta run now. I'm off work for the week but lots of plans will keep my computer time scarce. Hope you all enjoy the week!

V.

• saucydog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Greetings from California. Yesterday is a blur - I haven't slept in a couple of days (not a good sleep, you know?) and I had to use the photos to see what I did yesterday :)

We went to the beach and that was fun. Only tourists and diehards go to the beach this time of year, but it's something Nick and I always did when we lived here.

Today we're going to the USS Midway - an aircraft carrier turned museum. We're also scheduled for whale watching.

I used my Idyllunion planning skills to plan this trip and I think my family is impressed, so far ;) {{gwi:189146}}From Beach&OldTown

Saucy

13 years ago

EI - I just had to pop in to say you're not alone re wine... I'm not a wine fan at all! To me, wine smells - and tastes - like my grandmothers's 'preserves' gone bad! :-) So I just don't drink wine at all. Randy is fairly knowledgeable/adventerous with wine and just chalks up my attitude to wine as another weird 'Susanism'!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Saucy, great shot. Glad the vacation is such a success. Can't wait to hear about the tour of the Midway-very cool.

Ei, you are so right. I worry about our DS, too, as he is an only and we are somewhat estranged from my sister's family. Lots of wisdom in your post. Also, just an observation-there is NEVER a bad time for champagne! :) Alas, none for me these days, but well worth it to have DH getting back to his old self. On that note, here is my favorite gift from him. I may keep it lit year-round (well, probably not, but it is fun!). {{gwi:189147}}From 2010-12-25

Blustery and cold here. Just a dusting of snow. Hope all the northern east coast folks are with power and cozy inside.

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Fun to catch up with everyone! Sarah and kids are off grocery shopping with DH now, while DSIL is working on the hot tub. They all seem to be pretty much on the mend from their flu & strep...but I have been out of it for three days so far. UGH.

Skyler is skiing for 3 days with his Mom in Jasper and the house is fairly quiet! Ivy has learned to scream for the fun of it and it is ear piercing. I haven't been up to taking many photos yet but I hope that will change.

Once again, one of my favorite gifts was DSIL's chicken soup with his home made noodles.

I do wonder if Ivy is a true (noisy) angel. She is just so amazing... Have I forgotten my own babes? She's not yet 20 months old and has figured out which way books are read (right side up and front to back), how to put together several puzzles, how to dress herself, and also how to charm us all. Christmas morning was wonderful as she savored each gift before opening the next, sometimes even refusing to open another. She adores books and I do hope that lasts!

'bug

• Full_Bloom
    13 years ago

Hi guys...no time to chat, as I have my sister here. She came for dinner and we are visiting, but we just saw on the news about the terrible flooding of icy waters and the snow in the east. Chelone...could you just check and say you're "okay". Or if someone has heard from her, would you post and let us know. I'll be back to check later. Thanks!

Ei

• jak1
    13 years ago

I'm with you, Ei; worried about several Idyll friends - Chelone, Deanne, Sue, Monique.....Saucy is o.k. in sunny (?) California for a vacation, I think.

We, on the other hand, would love a bit of snow. No sledding, skiing, snowboarding, snowman building etc. for our youngsters who have a full ten days from school now. Weather seems to be absolutely terrible everywhere but here, where it is just very very cold.

Our Christmas was just great this year, although quiet. Funny thing, Bug, TCS also got a mini trampoline for Christmas. We are doing a lot to get this non athletic child more active: a snowboard and lessons, swim fins, a hockey stick, and the trampoline are some of his gifts this year.

He also received a radio controlled helicopter that is just amazing. It is an indoor toy and works really well. On the down side, we have the white popcorn ceilings in our entire house (why builders still do that I don't know....well I suspect its to hide a poor drywall job on the ceiling) and so after several days of "flying" we have those white chunks everywhere. To make matters worse, DS and DH love it to and so are off to the January sales to buy one for each of them.. *sigh*

I am so glad to see that so many of you enjoyed the season this year. You are my friends and I wish the best for you!

If I get the chance, I'll check in later!

Cheers.

P.S. this year's new Idyll invention, to join the Juliejob and the EAT program, WALAT and SALAT, is the DebbieDay!

• saucydog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good morning friends. I haven't heard from Chelone, but most of the East Coast Idylls are on FB and I haven't seen any major complaints, so I guess all is well. One of Cynthia's Grays had to have stitches after walking into a downed metal arbor, but she was headed to the vet.

We took a tour of the harbor and all the ships we could board. Yesterday we did the world famous zoo (I have to confess that zoos are not my favorite, but I know the kids like it). Today we're touring the naval base where Nick and I were stationed and married. It's raining but we're going to enjoy the day anyway as it will be pretty again tomorrow. We've been with old friends and that has been nice.

Today's photo? A giant mosaic flower along the harbor!

{{gwi:189148}}

• Full_Bloom
    13 years ago

Thanks soooo much Saucy...I was really getting concerned, especially since no one seemed to be posting. Now if we could just hear from Chelone... I *love* the flower...so Seussish!

Woody...it's so nice to have someone who understands! :-)

Cyn...I love the reindeer...he just makes you smile...I think you should keep him lit! :-)

Saucy's harbor picture is so serene and got me longing for summer...decided I needed a reminder of summer's miracles and thought you guys would enjoy the link below. My goal in life is to visit every National Park in the U.S. This summer we hope to visit Bryce Canyon. Though not a U.S. National Park this is a place that's on my "to do" list.

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer's Miracle

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Still with a box of tissues at my side, and squealing squirming Ivy all about. She's such great entertainment. Today's new word: shark.

I'm so glad that Saucy mentioned Cynthia in her news. It has been years now since I heard word of her. I hope someone sends her and the grays my very best wishes! I miss her postings and garden & pet photos. I'm with you Saucy on the zoo thing...So glad the trip is going well!

DS is busy with a conference and so no news from him yet. :(

Off to rest.

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

The sun came out today ! But it's appreciably colder (zone 9 wimpy cold) and we expect freezing temps tonight. Looks like we might get a couple of days to dry out a little , and then more rain for the New Year. I plan to work a half day on Fri (maybe)and come home and start de-constructing Christmas. I had 3 seed catalogs in my mailbox today, so I believe it's time to think about my garage seed starting set-up. I try to have that up and running by Feb. Also in the mailbox was the advanced ticket info for the SF Flower Show ..yippee! End of March , something I always look forward to. I was considering the Seattle show too this year, but I have too much going on around that time , so will have to wait another year.

My guests have all departed and I am back at the awfice - this holiday week is always really slow and I like to use it to get a couple of projects done; this year I am feverishly working on readiness for spring in our garden center-early buys, pricing etc. Today I went to the store and set up the seed-germination supplies, which we have expanded appreciably.

�bug , I sent your greetings to Cynthia..I miss her postings here too, but do get to see her over on FB. I hope that sniffling clears up for you soon ! What a PIA to have that going on over a holiday vacation.

Cyn, that reindeer is really cool.. and unique too ! Come to IU next summer and we'll give you a Mimosa !

LOL Julie, what I wouldn't give for a DebbieDay ! I had actually considered having the house professionally cleaned before Christmas , but ended up doing it myself. I had enough time off so it worked out ok.

Waving at Saucy !

Chelone, looking for a check-in after your stormy weather up yonder there..just a howdy and all is well will do !

All for now my friends�

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Yesterday was a perfect winter day, low 30's, sunny and no wind or precip. Today is overcast and drippy. Another system is moving in. My son and girlfriend are supposed to drive up from Texas on Friday. I'm already worrying about the weather. They will be here the following weekend after spending some time in South Dakota visiting friends and her family. So we will be celebrating Christmas then. My parents and Kenzie will come too. I'm leaving my decorations and tree up until then.

For some reason our internet is extremely slow tonight. It's really annoying Rick.

Ei, I enjoyed the monarch video. We encourage the monarch's in our garden. Kenzie gets quite a kick out of counting the caterpillars. We missed Bryce Canyon a couple of years ago when we hit Arches, Grand Canyon and Zion National Parks. Its a really unique and lovely part of the country. I'd like to go back some day.

I really should make a post of pictures from Glacier National Park like I promised. This cold seems to really suck the life out of me by the time I get home from work.

'bug, you may be suffering from your cold but you certainly have some lively entertainment to take your mind off it.

Saucy, your trip looks quite enjoyable. You are certainly getting some awesome pictures. That flower is pretty cool.

Julie, you may end up with your bit of snow if you get too many of those helicopters flying around.

That's all for now
    Michelle

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Kathy, at the moment the temperature here is minus 4F. That's COLD!

Julie, if those helicopters are the same as Skyler's, they are not only amazing but beautiful! Skyler the impatient klutz even learned (under pressure) to raise and lower it without making it crash into ceiling and floor. Next, he mastered operating it in a circular pattern! (YEAH Sarah!)

Thinking of Marian as I return to a difficult puzzle!
    Sympathies to you Michelle! This cold/virus/strep has taken a lot out of me.

• veronicastrum
    13 years ago

Good morning! Here's what Wednesday morning's sunrise looked like:

{{gwi:189149}}

Today, it's just dense fog with no hoar frost.

Sadly, the Christmas tree comes down today. We're off to see friends for NYE and then DH goes out of town for almost two weeks straight, so if we don't do it today I would have to wrestle the beast by myself, and that won't work.

Lots to get done this morning, so I'll wish you all a Happy New Year and see you next year!

V.

• Full_Bloom
    13 years ago

Wow V...beautiful shot...looks like an tonalist painting!

Hope Michelle and Bug will be feelings like their old selves soon...

Ei

• saucydog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've had a cold, too. No fun to travel with a head cold. I hope you guys feel better soon...I seem to be on the mend.

I'm doing laundry this morning - just one load - while the kids take a dip in the hot tub. We're headed to the Wild Animal Park and then to a botanical garden (woo hoo!)

Today's photo is from our trip to our old base in Point Loma. We actually lucked out and found someone to sponsor us on an active submarine, so it was a real treat. I can still climb in and out just like it was yesterday. Nick and I were really tickled to let the kids get a glimpse of what we used to do on a daily basis. Here's a picture of us waiting for our escort and checking out the monument on the base:

{{gwi:189150}}

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

We are supposed to be heading into a blizzard and we have 5 of the grandkids here. Are we crazy? Their ages range from 7 - 13.

It was warm and rained some today. A lot of the snow disappeared. The bare ground won't last long from the sound of things.

I stopped at the grocery store after work to make sure we had enough food in the house for all of us if we get snowed in. Apparently everyone else had the same idea.

Saucy, what a great vacation you guys are having! I'm sure its a treat to revisit your base and the submarine was probably a real hit with the kids.

V, what a lovely sunrise. Its been misty, foggy and frosty here lately.

The seed and plant catalogs are piling up. Several more arrive each day. I'm looking at vegetables a little more closely this year for their ornamental value. I'm thinking that I will add some in the garden thats along the front sidewalk. Since that leads up to our kitchen. I'm thinking that I'll move the chives up there and add a few herbs. Amongst the perennials and shrubs I'm curious if people will even notice.

What new things are you thinking of for your gardens this year?

Michelle

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

I don't know about you but I need some color this a.m. Enjoy your day!

{{gwi:189154}}

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

Good morning Idylls..nice to see a posy welcoming me this morning--outside my window the world is covered with a heavy blanket of frost. I'm fixing to assemble the boxes in the living room to start de-constructing the Christmas tree..it's 2 week run in the Kathy house is over.

Hope all our friends are bundled up warm for the new Year ...

back later

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Amazing to see the pretty photos this morning V and Michelle. All is black & white and cold here..even the magpies.(which make me think of Deanne!)

DD and I have been working on a quilt for Ivy's bed and it is the first for both of us..so lots to consider!

DSIL at last received his gift from DD, a beautiful pottery soup tureen. Last night he made a batch of pumpkin soup with pumpkin bread and a lovely salad. DD made a tart apple crisp that hit the spot too!

Skyler returns today and there is much to do before that including banking for education funds for the little ones. This is the last day to register them. We hope to take Skyler out for sushi which he loves. DSIL does NOT care for sushi, so this will be a special outing. (I love the vegetarian kind!)

DH is full of cold and I hope his health improves by tomorrow when we have an event to attend as well as preparations for our return to complete.

Ivy began the day with a tantrum. LOUD. Then she was full of kisses for everyone. OY!!!

Happy end of year!
    'bug

(I am seeing odd characters in the headings where our garden zones appear. Anyone else?)

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Michelle I think that is a great idea to add some kitchen garden things to the walk area. 7 to 13 year age rage? I bet that is a lively bunch. And I know they can eat a lot.

6o degree weather and new seed catalogs. What a tease. We just had a thunderstorm with hail roll through here with more on the way.

Jake and Wyatt are supposed to come over sometime today and spend the night. Jake was messing around with something in the garage right after Christmas and got a piece of rusty metal in his eye. It was embedded deep and took two dr's to get it out. He has had to go back every day since to have it checked and and taken care off. They said he was very lucky it wasn't any deeper. They are trying to keep it from getting infected.
    He is always trying to invent something and his granpa is always on his case about doing dangerous things. I am going to try to have a serious conversation with him without to much nagging about precautions he should take. I hate to stifle his creativeness but would hate to see him disabled from it.

Michelle I enjoy your poppy picture. I have a begonia blooming in the bay window and was thinking how nice it is to see blooms.

Kathy we are warmer here today than you are but it is getting ready to switch back. I didn't put out many decorations so I don't have many to take down.

Saucy have been enjoying your vacation with you. How great that modern devices let us do that.

Back to my book for now. I see that many of you got kindles for christmas. Let me know how you like them.

Waving to all. I think we need to put this idyll to bed and start a new one for the new year. I know we have all slowed down but I sure don't want Idyll to go away.

Cheers! Norma

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Hi Bug, Glad you are feeling better and doing fun things with the family. Hope DH can recover quickly. Miss seeing all the cute pictures of the kids. Enjoy every minute even the loud ones, LOL.

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

No wierd characters here.

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

Here's what I see:

Posted by michelle_zone4 zone%204%20%20NW%20I (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 31, 10 at 0:12

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Wishing each and everyone of my imaginary friends a non-imaginary happy, healthy, prosperous 2011.

Yes, 'bug, I am seeing those odd zones in some of our posts, but not all. I cut them out of mine, but doubt that will actually fix it. We'll see.

I have started putting away some of the decorations, but will leave the lights inside and out up a while longer. It is just so pretty all lit up!

Tonight is crabcakes, swordfish (I know, not an environmentally sound choice, but DH loves it), broccoli, and potatoes. Hoping I can stay up to watch the ball drop on Times Square, but it is hard to stay up when I don't know any of the acts they show leading up to it. No champagne this year :(, but worth it to have a fully-present DH here!

Finally, from T.S. Eliot:

For last year's words belong to last year's language And next year's words await another voice. And to make an end is to make a beginning.

Happy, happy new year dear friends.

• dodgerdudette
    13 years ago

I see the gobble-de-gook on certain folk and not others �bug, Norma is clean as a whistle, Michelle and you both have all sorts of numbers and punctuation..

Tree is un-decorated, and I just need DS to help me carry it outside when he gets out of the shower. Tomorrow I�ll schlep all the boxes up into their off season positions in the garage. Tomorrow I�m going to make soup , and it�s going to rain (again!) so the rose pruning will have to wait at least another week. What a mess the back garden is right now.

Lots of seed catalogs here too Norma, but I have so many seeds left from last year I expect they will just be used for reading material..and picture-viewing of course. Thompson Morgan came today.

Lol Cyn, It�s been a mighty long time since I stayed up to watch the ball drop ! Being an LA girl, I like to watch the rose parade on New Years morning. I�ll celebrate at 9pm with my east coast friends

Ok friends, wishing you all a Happy New Year ..on to Buffalo !

Kathy in Napa

13 years ago

Happy New Year to all...!

• triple_creek
    13 years ago

Happy New Year to all!

I hope the New Year will be filled with good things for all.

Norma

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

Happy new year to all.

I hadn't actually noticed the odd characters. Odd that they only show up for a few of us. I deleted them this time.

We have gained 1 more kid. We now have 5 boys and 1 girl. They sure do eat alot. Not exactly the restful weekend I had planned on, but we have been having fun. The blizzard fizzled here and seemed to stay to the north. We all went outside for awhile today but it topped out at 16 degrees but there was no wind.

'bug, how nice to make Ivy's quilt together. Is this for a big girl bed? What colors or kind of pattern are you using? My mom made beautiful quilts for my children's beds when they were little.

The kids want to stay up until midnight. I don't think they all will make it. I doubt I will.

Happy New Years friends!

Michelle

• Full_Bloom
    13 years ago

Just got home from dinner with sis, hubby & a few friends. Well I know hubby won't be around for the ball drop...he went straight to bed...lol! Doubt that I'll make either, but you never know.

Michelle...did you get your big snowstorm? I don't think I could handle all those kids..lol..but then again, I'm older than you! :-) Still...I bet it's lots of fun...kids are always so exciting and full of life! The poppy/larkspur picture sure is comforting right now...did you have a little meadow garden going? Thanks about the butterflies. I enjoyed that video too, thought it was very imformative and amazing really. I definitely plan to go there some day (when the butterflies are there, of course)! :-) Speaking of changes in the garden, this fall I removed nearly all (but just a few of my favorite) perennials from the backyard. I've kept the front yard the same as it was, but plan to make the backyard a sort of woodland (read "lower maintenance"...lol vision. Well, we'll see how I do with it, but I'm excited and drawing up all kinds of plans. Am very hopeful that I can succeed with my dreams about a path that will lead to a courtyard surrounded by conifers/evergreens. Inside of it I plan to make "a statement"...not sure with what; a big statue (if I can afford it) and a couple of simple cement benches. If I can't get the statue I was thinking maybe using my old urn on a pedestal and put something special in it. I had my was red mandevilla vine with golden sweet potato vine in it and it looked very pretty though very small :-) this summer. I brought it in the house for winter and it's actually growing...so maybe it will be that something special for the secret courtyard. Anyway, the backyard change is mostly instigated by the fact that we want to eventually sell the house and would like it to appeal to as many potential buyers as possible. When we had the house up before we got a lot of "how hard is this to maintain?" "How many hours do you spend working in the garden" (I wanted to say "Every possible moment I can!"..How much would it cost to hire someone to maintain it", etc. It kind of made me feel bad because I *love* my garden, but I guess I get it, if your not a garden nut like everyone here! :-) So, I adopted out most of my plants to new mothers who will love them as much as I did.

I love T.S. Elliot too Cyn.

Not sure about the gobbledy gook Kathy, but you know some times when I read your posts there are extra letters and symbols in your post...do you ever see that?

Thanks so much Saucy for sharing your vacation with us, it's really been a highlight for me to come here and see pics of the lovely weather you've been enjoying. So glad you're having such a good time.

Norma, I've been enjoying all the new catalogs too. I love that summer dreaming...

Your post reminded me of two of my favorite quotes about winter:

As I write, snow is falling outside my Maine window,
    and indoors all around me
    half a hundred garden catalogues are in bloom.
    - Katharine S. White

From December to March, there are for many of us three gardens -
    the garden outdoors,
    the garden of pots and bowls in the house,
    and the garden of the mind's eye.
    - Katherine S. White

Well, that's it for me tonight. When I get more organized, I'd love to share with you ( read "get some ideas from you"...lol)about my backyard plans. My hubby has no opinions...unless of course, I'm not looking for one that is...lol!

Here's to a Healthy, Wealthy and Wise new year filled with Peace...

Ei

• gardenbug
    13 years ago

We are having Harry Potter read to us now..but there's a break for putting the littlest two to bed.

Next I believe is our annual shrimp & champagne in the hot tub event. Hmmm. It is -20C!

The quilt is a rainbow fabric on one side and flannel camping scenes in blocks on the reverse. I'll try for photos! It is our first, so may not be perfection itself, but it will be well used and loved. I bought fabric today for summer dresses for Ivy.

Tonight Skyler opened his book from us that included currencies from foreign lands. He passed the tests too: He knew which continents each denomination came from.

Now the big question: How will I stay awake until midnight???? It is only 10:10 here now.

See you all next year!

• saucydog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{gwi:189157}}From RoadTrip

Happy New Year! Today's picture is a scene from the Mission at San Juan Capistrano. Hats off to Kathy and Denise for giving me some excellent destinations for our travel to Orange County.

Saucy

• yeonasky
    13 years ago

Happy New Year, everyone.

I hope all your colds are done quickly. Does anyone have an interest in herbs and other alternative medicine or should I just bite my health nut tongue? I hate to see anyone suffer and am always looking for a way to help shorten their agony.

I see the same weird number and symbols as you GB, on only you and Michelle. I read about this before, and people had to go in and correct their information. The was some glitch in the GW programming.

Correction from my last post: Oops Make that Reveillon.

My plan for the garden this year is to add more evergreen shrubs out front and more vegetable gardens out back. I can't expand out back as much as I wanted, as I need room for the dogs I board, for exercise. So I might have to join you Michelle and plant among the flowers. I do like the look enough so the idea appeals.

It's cold and clear here. -1c. Not as bad as GB but it feels cold. Whenever it clears up in winter the temp drops and my skin goes nuts. It dries right up, and I get a huge painful coldsore or 10. Yuk. I'm allergic to the stuff in moisturizers, but have recently discovered that if I apply a mixture vitamin e and vitamin a oils, my skin stays uncracked and coldsore free, hurrah.

Hope those struggling with weather are okay, too. I too miss the absent Idyllers. And their pet stories and gardens. I hope Cynthia's dog is okay, and will recover quickly. I too miss Deanne's bird pics, as well.

Saucy sounds like you're having a good time in California. That's where the owners of Sophie, the dog I boarded till the 28th, went. Sophie was a sweet girl. She had the energy of a border collie on our walks, and is making Leah pick up her pace. Thanks for the photos. My oldest sister has a sailboat. She and her DH live in Texas, so don't sail as much as they'd like. They finally bought property on Orcas Island so they'll be able to sail lots when they retire.

My daughter can plan circles around me. I always get lost and confused by maps. I really need to get out more and learn some basic navigation skills.

Mary glad you're having fun with your Mum. It's great that she can visit from such a long way away. Scrabble is my favourite game, but nobody wants to play with me here anymore. :(

Chelone, thank you for the info on how fire for heat works nowadays. I love when your explain stuff. It is so great that you have answered my many questions about fire as a working alternative to other heat sources. I love that the smoke from the fire is actually burned, as well. So cool. Or so hot. Well both to me. I have two questions now. Can the wood be dried out by the fire to be more quickly cured? Do you and is it adviseable to cook on the fire stove?

I sympathise with you, being 'on deck', now. It really is the 'middle class' burden to bear of life. We are without 'elders' as well, and are helping the youngens achieve their schooling goals. I too have great fears about being without the many things money buys. Including money for medical emergencies. I have struggled with this for years. Now that I have found a way to manage my migraines I at least can entertain the thought that I might be able to write and bead necklaces to sell and walk dogs and ? to keep a roof overhead and food in the belly, on top of the other expenses. Medical expenses seems to be the biggest challenge. I hope to work on renting rooms here for people traveling with pets, perhaps, and to continue earning money outside of the traditional ways, even if I do have to get a real job, as I won't ever retire me. Maybe it will work and maybe it won't. Too bad I can't invent the next suduko or other great invention. Of course you never know. I'll keep trying to find one. I wonder if everyone has one great invention in them, like everyone might have at least one book in them.

Women Inventors
    http://www.enchantedlearning.com/inventors/women.shtml

V hope you won the fight with the cold finally. Cool photo. Love the misty sun.

Love the story about your cousin. It goes to show that it pays to write to people still, and it pays to say thank you.

Cyn, sometimes I feel 29 and sometimes I feel 79. I'm actually 53. I read a report where they studied Harvard men, High IQ women and Low income men to see who lived longest and felt the best. I'm always looking outside myself to feel better and sometimes that works. But according to the study, a good attitude and being adaptable are more important. Those are internally driven traits. I don't know if I can ever call myself adaptable. That takes practice.

Cute reindeer. Glad your DH is getting back to himself. At least he's on the right track.

Harvard Medical School Study: Aging Well
    http://www.drrubin.com/general-health/aging-well-harvard-study/

Vaillant found six predictors of who at age 80 would be among the "happy-well" as opposed to the "sad-sick": a stable marriage, a mature adaptive style, no smoking, little use of alcohol, regular exercise, and maintenance of normal weight. To age well physically, the single most important choice was to avoid heavy smoking before age 50, or to quit at a young age... A simple lesson from the Grant Study is to worry less about cholesterol and more about gratitude and forgiveness."'

Let's see I have a fairly 'stable marriage', sort of 'a mature' but not I think a very 'adaptive style,. I'll have to work on not being thrown into a tailspin when things go wrong. I don't smoke, can't drink alcohol, even though I have a sip every so often. I have fairly regular exercise, and am overweight. What's my score?

Michelle thanks for the pretty poppy pic. I love it with the green purple and lavender backdrop. I'm sorry you didn't have all your family there for Christmas, especially Kenzie, who is so grown since I was last here regularly. My DS and DD and DSIL were here this year, but all three nephews who have lived with us for 6 years on and off were not. We had more leftovers than I knew what to do with, and too many empty spots at the table. Six kids, that's almost a baseball team. I hope they stayed somewhat in control, and everyone had fun. I've had a houseful of screaming girls and it can be quite ear piercing.

Ei I have to think before spelling many things. I like to think it is a sign of the amount of info we store. The less used things get shoved off the shelf to make room for the new and 'shiny' info.

I love the evergreen gardens. I found this pic and would love the look. I love my perennials but hate having nothing in the winter.

http://gardensofricecreek.com/images/a004-corrected-large.jpg

I'm hoping there's a solution to your work dilemma. I feel badly that you have to go to an 'awfice', at all. I'm hoping some day you can graduate to an office.

Drema, au contraire, mon amie, I'm the lucky one. I disappear and when I reappear am welcomed back, with open arms. You at least know what side your Idylls are buttered on. I am trying to stay warm, but without the heat on it's a bit of a challenge. It's by choice, though. I'm trying to cut way down on expenses. I'm bundling up well. I need a houseful of boarding dogs.

I have recently semi reunited with my sisters. I am emailing with the sister whom I have not spoken to for years. I don't know where it will go, but I'm hoping there will be some connection, especially for my son's sake, who lives at home still and has had debilitating, life crippling migraines since he was 12. There was no help for him before, but just as with me, we've finally found the right combo. What I'm trying to say is that my estrangement from my side of the family and the lack of closeness from Richea's side of the family has left my son without close family, or, due to illness and crippling shyness, no friends. I think he could handle therapy now. Hopefully we will be able to afford it soon.

Kathy I love 'antiquing'. Did you find anything? I really want to see the new Harry Potter movie, but I guess it will have to be on the little screen.

It was wonderful to read all about the different food and the different traditions. We eat turkey for the Canadian side of the family, pickled herring and pickled red cabbage for the Danish side of the family, and cabbage rolls, for the Ukrainian side of the family. Too bad I can't drink or I'd add Irish coffee for the Irish side of the family. My mixed heritage side of the family doesn't look even Danish. We're small and dark haired, for the most part. The Danish comes out every so often, but the dark hair and small stature is more common. We do not look like vikings. Except for my son, who is 6' tall and blonde. Go figure. Genetics are wonderful things.

Manual Egg Beater
    http://www.kitchenniche.ca/egg-beater-p-1316.html

GB I hope your DH feeling better today. I've linked a manual egg beater. Of course Chelone's offer is the best kind.

Jak sorry to say I tried everything with my own non athletic son, and nothing took. I hope you have better luck. I often wished that there was an interactive video game, where he had to stand and move to play, so that at least he would be moving around. Not ideal but it would have been some activity. Now they do have that, but he's not interested at all. :(

I'm looking to make a new dog bed for Leah. Sophie my boarding border collie came with her own bed and Leah kept trying to sneak onto it. Leah has the round kind, and Sophie has the rectangular kind. I can see that Sophie's bed has a better fill and it is slightly bigger, and Leah needs a slightly bigger bed. I've linked a page of the ones that I might copy. I have cotton and foam, so I just need to decide which style to use. I love the one that envelopes the dog. I want that for myself. Like sleeping in a cloud, lol.

Dog Bed Design Selection Guide
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/dog-supplies/dog-beds/ps/c/3307/1?count=78&s=ts

Dog beds
    http://dogtime.com/dog-beds.html

Ten Kinds of Dog Beds
    http://dogs.about.com/od/toyssupplies/tp/dogbeds.htm

More stuff about being as hydro and gas free as possible.

Totally Solar-Heated House - Version 1
    http://mb-soft.com/solar/

The linked one is my fantasy. Now all I have to do is buy some land and dig down 18'and build a house on top, if I want this.

Hope everyone has a wonderful doy tomorrow. I'm headed out for dim sum, at 10:30. A little early after a late night.

Yeona

Here is a link that might be useful: Heat and Cool a House without a Furnace or Air Conditioner!

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County