Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veronicastrum

#242 - The 'Two-Fer Tuesday' Idyll

veronicastrum
18 years ago

Don't ask what it means; just keep on postin'.

V.

Comments (106)

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Michelle, what a cute costume. And what a pretty smile. She's a little darlin'! Thanks.

Eden

• just_t
    18 years ago

Michelle, Kenzie is adorable and the costume is very cute! Thanks for sharing the picture.

Hope everyone has had a nice day.

T.

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Needed to scroll down fast and just caught Kenzie's picture. I love the tongue thing she's got going :-) Precious.

Can't stay but for an excellent reason: Kyle's application for his Junior Spring semester in Osaka, Japan has been preliminarily approved. He has a few more requirements that are scheduled be finished in September and if all goes according to plan, I'll be bidding him farewell for six months.

More soon -- In the meantime, we could use all good thoughts and good scholarship websites sent our way. LOL

Martie

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Love Deanne's single petaled rose, just love it. I can't decide whether that rose should be at the top of every idyll from now until spring or if Kenzie the poodle will give me a bigger smile.

I do consider it unkind and disrespectful to proselytize to those who do not share the same doctrines. That's why the topic of religion is off limits here.

I've been shopping at LL Bean, Lands End, Orvis and Eddie Bauer tonight and can not find a decent corduroy blazer. They're all in a new 'short' style which doesn't look very cozy. Lands' End used to have just the right corduroy and now they've switched to some sort of stretchy corduroy.

Too cold here for December and 5 inches of snow expected tonight. (Which is a lot for this corner of the world.)

gnight, Cynthia

• triple_creek
    18 years ago

{{gwi:189218}}
    Hi everyone,hoping all are staying warm. Very little going on here. Gardening done for the year. The house is in order and I am getting bored already. I read a couple of books, but my eyes won't take any more of that for awhile.

Marian, I am so glad your Tim did as well as he did. I think I missed your birthday, and someone elses too. So belated birthday wishes to all I missed.

Kenzie is a cutie in her poodle costume Michelle.

Too much has transpired since I have checked in to comment.
    But I have rejoiced and sympathised with all that needed it.

Was thinking of the Idyll beach party when I saw this.
    {{gwi:189219}}
    Hope some of you can make it.

Norma

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

{{gwi:189220}}

{{gwi:189221}}
    Wow! Horrendous drive home from work today, 2 hours in what should normally take about 20 minutes. Looks like the snow that was to hit you, Marian, hit us instead! :-)
    BTW thanks for the tips on making a screen saver. I haven't tried it yet, but will...I've saved your instructions.

I am so out of shape my stomach muscles are killing me from shoveling. But it *is* a beautiful snow...that light fluffy kind that glistens in the moonlight. I should be a real crank, but I don't know that fresh air and exercise must have the right endorphins kicking. It was dark by the time I got to shoveling, but there was sooo much white and then the moonlight, that I had no problem seeing what I had to do. After I was done shoveling Scout and I played in the snow. Scout *loves* snow and we made snow angels, as you can see! Well, okay, I did have to make Scout's little angel wings for him. :-)

Can't stay, I'm bushed and it's been a heck of a week, so I'm going to go now.

Michelle...that McKenzie is *adorable*! I *love* her little poodle costume and where did you go to get such a perfect background? Thanks for the big smiles today! :-)

Oh The Weather Outside Is Frightful
    But The Fire Is So Delightful
    Since We've No Place To Go
    Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow

{{gwi:189223}}

It Doesn't Show Signs of Stopping
    And I've Brought Some Corn For Popping
    The Lights Are Turned Down Low
    Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow

{{gwi:189224}}
    When We Finally Kiss Goodnight
    How I'll Hate Going Out In A Storm
    But If You Really Hold Me Tight
    All The Way Home I'll Be Warm

{{gwi:2100703}}
    The Fire Is Slowly Dying
    And My Dear We're Still Goodbying
    But As Long As You Love Me So

{{gwi:189226}}

P.S. Hi Norma! Got a kick out of your pics! :-)
    Sue I sure hope you girls really *do* do a warm island thing. If it weren't for obligations here and a tight budget right now I'd sure love to join you! :-(

• just_t
    18 years ago

Oh Ei, your pictures are beautiful! I love your snow angels and Scout's too. :o)

I wrote a big long post and then found it too boring to send........so, just going to say "was thinking of all of you and sending you my best".

'nite,
    T.

• Lily316
    18 years ago

Ei..Lovely winter pictures. My view right now is similar..Poor fish in the pond are gone under a layer of ice and snow ..(w/ a hole kept by the deicer and fountain), while the fish in the basement maintain their same conditions unchanged..
    EP and Woody..What I think is these people who keep intruding on me think I'm a shop. I'll admit to having a lot of antiques and collectibles that are probably seen from the street since I don't have window treatments except indoor shutters in some rooms. There are old bottles and wreaths at the windows that are visable. But that's a good idea..DD says I should have a flashing neon sign that say CLOSED!!
    Deanne..I went to the Gettysburg outlets last week and finished Xmas shopping buying all gifts at Gap and Eddie Bauer, but luckily they also had an American Eagle which are the only clothes GD will wear..besides Pacsun and Aberchrombie and Fitch..Frankly I don't think their quality is Gap and EB 's but she likes what she likes and is considered cool!!You got some nice buys..
    VG..Your story about Belle made me sad. I grew up in a real German home where the men ate scrapple. Don't EVEN ask what it is..All the parts of an animal ground up...Never tried it. And my grandfather had "pudding" every morning. Again not the delicious chocolate that I thought it was but something gross w/ animal parts. He did drop dead on the street at 65 so his arteries couldn't take anymore. I grew up on pot roast and pork roast and baked ham and Mother did make lamb once or twice but even when I was as little as you were, I wouldn't touch it. And when I was married I carried on the tradition for awhile. I'm lucky as you that the whole family eats the same way. None of us ever eats red meat but we still do fish and poultry. I'm sorry, Fred. I would love to have a few chickens for the eggs and to have around the yard but we are not zoned for it. And I DO feel like a hypocrite staying up till 5 AM trying to save the life of my pet koi while I had salmon for dinner...If I were rich and had a cook who could come up w/ recipes, then I would become a vegan. I'm just afraid I wouldn't get the proper nourishment...I'm guessing you don't do dairy at all and that would mean no icecream..and I love my Edy's slowchurned French Silk...Ladies...Start your snowblowers....Sylvia
    PS Deanne..now that I don't have dial up any longer, I'll try and get pictures posted..including kitchen ones.

• vegangirl
    18 years ago

Sylvia, my Grandma made something like scrapple but they called it something else that I can't remember right now. Thank you for commenting on my story:-) Re ice cream: We do have "ice cream" but it's made from frozen bananas! We run them through a Champion juicer and they come out creamy and very ice creamy. We add other frozen fruits such as strawberries, blueberries, peaches, pineapple to make different flavors. One of my favorites is to throw in some pecans and make "butter pecan ice cream". This ice cream is always a big hit at our cooking/lifestyle seminars. We used dairy until I developed lactose intolerance at age 30. Then DD1 and DS developed it in their teen years, so instead of having to make two of everything, we just all went non-dairy.

We got sleet and freezing rain last night, then a little snow on top of that. Dec is our month to clean the church so I hope it all melts before we have to drive over the mountain. DH has therepy at 1 p.m. so he won't be able to help us clean.

I wish I could see everybody's pictures:-(

T, I've never found any of your posts to be boring! I wish you had sent it:-)

Ei, I can empathize with you horrendous drive home from work. I am terrified of slick roads.

Well, I need to exercise before breakfast. I hope everyone has a good and safe day. Oh I just remembered the name of the stuff Grandma made. It was "souse meat". DH tells me it was a bit different from scrapple but I know it was a lot of animal parts that they didn't use otherwise. Maybe Marian could tell us:-)
    VG

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Good low visibility morning. 1"/hr until 2pm = one heck of a lot of snow for this time of year. Let it come!! The plant crowns were beginning to look a little bewildered in the cold weather and this is the perfect time for the best winter mulch ever!!

Have caught up with the posts and wish I knew French. Rich suggested that I get a French language tape for my car to listen to during long rides. Good Idea! I can invision this: "Well, officer, I know I was going a little too fast but I was really concentrating on speaking French because a bunch of cyberfriends have got me going...."

Have gotten my Christmas "gift" list together and a graphic arts friend of mine is doing certificates. She liked the idea so much that she returned a bunch of bought stuff and will be doing the same thing re: give of thyself, then donating the $$ to the gift recipients fav charities.

Deanne: Is it an artist thing that your piece is dated 2006? I've always wondered if the dates on art were when they were started or finished. Beautiful.

Sue: Can't wait for the party. For a buffet I have a great recipe for chicken, broccoli and rice casserole if you're interested. Make it ahead and warm it up. Easy. Comfort food.

I've read everyone's sentiments about depression and the environment with interest.

Hope to get out of the office early today and build a snowman with the "no-schoolers" this afternoon. Despite the early hour (would they be up and out if there *was* school?) they already showed up at the door to see if Ky would help them, too. "And Martie!!!!! Rich is the tallest guy in the neighborhood so do you think he's help us with the head????" [bouncing like pogosticks with a full bladder]. My reply "Only if you find a carrot for the nose." Blank stares. Some education will be occuring in the neighborhood re: proper snowman building technique. LOL

Best to all, and to all a good day.

Martie

• deanneart
    18 years ago

Good snowy morning everyone, Lucky us we are in the 12" plus area for snowfall. Doug is going to try to get into work which will entail a lousy drive over Temple Mountain and Pack Manadnock this morning. Originally he'd planned to stay overnight in Keene last night and for some reason I can't fathom he decided to come home instead. I still don't get it. Anyway, he's supposed to call with updates on his commute so I don't worry. Well, it sure will look like Christmas around here for the holiday. I'm just as happy there will be snow over the gardens to protect the perennials from the cold.

Sylvia, how neat you've got an Eddie Bauer outlet. I really love their clothes.

Eileen, what a neat post! Love your photographs, song and pics of Scout and your angels. What fun. ~~ Tell me do your Tilt-a-Whirl leaves revert to being plain looking when the plants are small? The new leaves on mine look like normal coleus leaves and I'd noticed that last year as well.

Norma, LOL! I'd be that first grumpy looking person shoveling the snow.

VG I guess I didn't pick up that you were lactose intolerant as well. That must be quite a challenge keeping a balanced diet.

Cynthia, Thanks very much! So happy you like the little painting. ~~ Sorry you can't find a good corduroy blazer. I know what you mean about all the jackets being short this year. I bought a beautiful Eddie Bauer jacket two years ago that was a classic length but this year they are all pretty short.

Martie, I only signed that painting 2006 because it will be published in the magazine next year and that will make it seem more 'brand new'. A 2005 date will make it seem like 'old news' by the time it is published.~~Congratulations to Kyle! He must be very excited. Has he spent time studying the culture? I spent some time in Japan a while ago and I can't say I particularly enjoyed the trip but I was still very obese at the time and I didn't fit anywhere. All the seats on the busses, trains (including the Shinkansen)subways, airplanes were all way too small. It made things difficult. The food didn't agree with me either as I recall. But I did have some incredible experiences and am very happy I went. The day we took the Shinkansen out of Tokyo it happened to be a rare day free of smog. The view of Mt Fuji while pulling out of Tokyo was amazing. I was also able to have some time to tour Kyoto, and spent a day at the Atom Bomb park in Hiroshima.

Michelle, that pic of Kenzie is just adorable! What a cutie patotie!

Bug, is that photograph club something you could join? You love taking photographs and have quite an eye for a good image. That might be a lot of fun for you to do in non garden season.

OK time to get to the gym. Have a great day all,
    Deanne

• chelone
    18 years ago

Quickie post this morning! I had a very busy day yesterday. Worked a full day, raced home to get the greens into water so they'll be ready for the pediments, then the sewing machine arrived late afternoon (you wouldn't believe the technical manuals!) and I worked with the greatest sewing machine mechanic in Maine to get a basic handle on its operation. Early dinner and then off to the movies to see, "Good Night, and Good Luck". (Terrific, and I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in history).

It's snowing here... started out yesterday as a predicted 4-6" snowfall; now it's been upped to 6-10" with a chance of mixing with rain. Our coastal area is going to get the direct hit. So, I decided to simply skip the irritation and stay home. I want to finish the decorations, do some basic chores and play with the new machine.

M'lady is still abed and there I'll leave her in slumbering repose until her internal clock awakens her. I'll try to catch up later on, esp. "l'histoire Francais" which I see now has its very own thread... GOOD IDEA!

Wrecks went for his first "ride-ride in the car-car" yesterday afternoon. He likes the wagon better than the old sedan. He has been frolicing in the snow and the cats have been and out about a dozen times in the past half hour. There are a lot of excited tracks in the snow on the deck... general frivolity and snow induced excitement. :)

Cynthia, I've been meaning to ask you for days now how your talk with your sister went. You cross my mind every time I hear someone mention how they dislike travelling for holiday celebrations. You are not alone! Hope all is well.

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Good Morning, The snow has come and gone here and we have about 5 inches. It's very pretty, fluffy snow through the window and it's easy to forget that it's cold and wet from inside the warm, cozy house. The bitter cold temperatures are gone now too. We broke a record a couple of days ago when it got down to 3F. I've been tucking cats around me like little hot water bottles when I go to bed at night to stay warm. I've also been hibernating and sending Brad and David out for supplies. Yesterday I did some seed organizing. Even though I was very selective this year by the time all my seed orders came I have over 50 new packets. How'd that happen?

Deanne, your painting it just beautiful. My new favorite, until you paint the next one, lol. I know how you feel worrying about Doug driving long distances in snow, and especially over mountains. I waited up for Brad last night. He only has a 25 mile drive but I always worry when the roads are bad. He was only about 1/2 hour late last night and pulled in around 1:30am. I watched a Hitchcock movie, North By Northwest, with Cary Grant, while I was waiting. I ended up staying up even later so I could see how it ended.

Ei, my but didn't you and Scout have fun playing in the snow. Thanks for the beautiful snow pictures.

HI Norma!

My project for today is to get together some recipes for cookie baking. Tis the season. Make it a great day everybody and stay safe if you have to venture out into the snow.

Eden

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Pink and grey clouds on a blue background here this morning. Also, December 9th is the first of our snowplowing days this winter. It is somehow an exciting landmark. Tonight is our party with the French Club, and I was worried about them getting down the laneway safely.

Scrapple! A word from my past! My Mom bought it from the store in a can. It was inexpensive is why! I liked it though. I remember it being very salty. Mom would fry slices of it until it was quite dark and crusty on the outside.

Deanne, I am going to scout out the photography group a bit more. It is very small, not into digital photos, and a very very sharp bunch of amateurs and professionals. I already know one of the ladies. She does wedding photography etc...but is a gardener/clematis friend. She is also younger than I am, and I love to cultivate younger friendships.

Tomorrow would have been Mom's 93rd birthday. You can imagine that I find it a pensive time.

Many things to do to make this place into a partying spot for tonight. Off I go, be back later no doubt.

'bug

• Woody_Canada
    18 years ago

It's a black and white world here this morning! I thought I had accidentally set the camera to black and white when I was taking some pictures at 7:30 until the yellow of the garage showed and even it is washed-out in color.
    {{gwi:189227}}
    {{gwi:189229}}
    Chelsea like a frolic in the snow but Misty is less keen on it - she's so short she gets buried in it too easily! When I was out taking the pictures, it felt like the snow was turning to rain.

Sylvia - if your intruders think it's a business, I wonder what sort of business they think is operated in a store named 'Christian Stoner'?! Sorry, I have an off-beat sense of humor and like odd word-plays - that name tickled my funny-bone. I'm sure you get lots of lame jokes about it and are sick of them... I'm sure it was a perfectly ordinary Dutch sort of name in its time but it strikes a post-hippy ear as humorous. I'll take my foot out of my mouth and go back into hibernation....

• Mary_NY6
    18 years ago

Hi everyone

Today is not the best travel day here. Mum was flying in last night from England but got stuck in Ei and V's snow at O'Hare. All flights to Rochester were cancelled for the night. Fortunately we were able to get her into a hotel on DH's points so at least she was not stuck at the airport overnight as many were. Mum just called to say she cannot get out till 9.20 PM this evening - its been a long and fraught journey for her.

Meanwhile, back here Ruth was flying out first thing to Baltimore to shop for furniture for their new house adn meet with a nursery school for Ivan. Apparantly Baltimore is closed due to an ice storm. Ruth's still stuck at the airport making alternte plans. Feels like it should be Friday the 13th instead of the 9th!

I'm looking after Ivan and Iris for the weekend which will be fun but as Eden know and Michelle know, quite tiring. I doubt much will get done so I'll just enjoy the time together.

Lovely pictures Ei! Much to come back and re-read, but I'm needed upstairs right now.

Stay safe and warm everyone

Mary

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Woody, I got a good chuckle from your Christian Stoner! Don't hibernate; I need good laughs like that when we get such a brutal wallop of winter in early December.

Like Eden, we ended up with about 5" of snow last night. Further south in the Chicago area there was up to 10". The plane accident at Midway airport last night stirred up all sorts of memories. I grew up very close to the airport and am very familiar with the spot where the plane slid out of the airport. If you've never flown into Midway, it is smack in the middle of the city, with homes right across from the airport on some sides. 33 years ago on that same day, a plane crashed not too far from where I lived. It was a Saturday afternoon and I had been to the mall to do some Christmas shopping. On my way out, I stopped to look at a wallet for my boyfriend, but then decided I was too tired and my hands were too full to deal with buying one more thing. About 5 minutes after I walked into the house, I started to hear emergency vehicle sirens, which continued non-stop for just the longest time. After about 30 minutes the news of the crash was on the radio. Had I bought a wallet, I would have been three blocks away when that plane went down. The wife of Howard Hunt of Watergate fame was killed in the crash. After that day, I hated to lay in my bed and hear planes coming in for landings at Midway. "Stay up, stay up" was frequently my chant!

Nothing on the calendar for this evening, which is nice! Saturday night we have a Christmas party to go to. It's a fun group of people, so I'm looking forward to that one. We also need to cut our tree tomorrow, although it will be a tad snow-covered! Getting the tree in the house will be the challenge this year with our seemingly non-stop snow. But I won't whine too much about a winter with snow cover! It's gotten to be a rarity here.

Michelle, I loved your precious little lamb. What a doll!

Ei, it looks like you and Scout had a good time. My snow isn't as deep; would you like to shovel it for me today? Bring Scout with, she'll have a good time with my two.

VG, I've heard of souse but I'm not sure why. I work with a guy who is lactose intolerant and allergic to pork! He used to be a restaurant cook but when he developed the pork allergy he had to quit as he couldn't even handle it for cooking.

Dear MIL is making me nuts this year over DH's Christmas present. She asked all of us for lists this year (which I never like doing because I feel like I'm ordering my gift) and all of us except DH complied with her request. So she keeps calling me with questions!

V.

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mary, I was thinking of you last night and hoping that your DH wasn't stuck at O'Hare. Can't believe that it was your Mum instead! Hope she and Ruth get to their destinations safely.

V.

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

Sympathies to Mum & Ruth, Mary...I can imagine their anxiety! I would rather be traveling on the way home from work in this stuff, than be dealing with flying in it (of course I'm a nervous flyer anyway)...you feel such a captive. Hope neither of them was stuck waiting *inside* the plane! I can't take that...I get claustrophobic! Well, at least looks like the snows finally stopped...I hope they both make it safely and *comfortably* to their destinations. How long will Mum be able to visit with you?

Hey V, my best guess is we got about 7 inches! :-0 Scout would love to join you, but afraid I couldn't shovel another inch. I tell you shoveling is even more effective than crunches (though I do neither enough to make a difference...LOL) On the bright side, no work today, so my only obligation is to take mom grocery shopping. Plan to spend the rest of the day reading by the fire! :-) BTW...you did such a professional job with your Ebay listing...looked like someone whose been doing it for ages! I was quite impressed. Anxious to hear how your experience went from post to final sale.

Well, gotta go take a shower and then get ready to take mom shopping. Martie - I'm with you on the vegan cooking. Would love to know how to make more truly *delicious* non-meat meals that my husband would actually enjoy. Of course, we will never totally give up meat here, my hubby is a meat and potatoes person, soooo. Interesting, that I had a fellow adult student at school who owned a slaughter house (I feel such a hypocrite to be digusted by that and still eat meat) but anyway, he was telling us how his business was mostly cows and pigs, but he finally quit doing pigs because he said they were so intelligent and sensitive that it was very clear that they *knew* what was about to happen to them and he just couldn't take it anymore. Sorry for sharing such a depressing thought, guess all this talk got me to thinking of that again. I almost always offer meat at dinner, but often skip the meat portion myself and eat the rest of the meal. Funny, but I'm not really big on chicken (though the hubby loves it) and almost never eat it myself. I know of all the meat that's the best for you, but there are only a very few chicken dishes that I like. I'm not much for pork either, but can and do enjoy beef, as long as I don't start focusing on where it came from.

Well, gott go hit the showers. TTYL! Ei

P.S. Beautiful painting Deanne...I *love* the little filaments especially...kind of reminds me a bit of my Dainty Bess, although her filaments and anthers are coppery. Do you have that one? Bet you could immortalize her! :-)

Okay really going now....Have a great day all! Ei

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

TGIF!

Oh the weather outside is frightful
    And the drive to work was delightful
    But now that I've got no place to go (except home this afternoon)
    Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

We've got our company Christmas party tonight. Hopefully the snow will stop early enough to let people get out and enjoy the frivolity.

Sue

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

This is something I have been noticing now that I am no longer a 'contributing member' all kinds of ads pop up and it is interesting that this morning the ad links are for things that have been recently 'conversed' about such as corderoy blazers and one piece bathing suits. Go's to show that the forum is being monitored for commercials. Even tho the 'management' has stated they are no longer taking contributions all the 'reminders' are still there. I have learned to ignore a lot and continue using the forums for insight and education. We try not to share anything we desire to keep private. The picture sharing is interesting.... and learning about those of you in the rest of the world. Marie, it's good to hear you have some interesting groups to participate with. Mary, hope your travelers will be home safe soon. We don't need to go out for anything for the next few days and don't plan to. Friday evening is usually family dinner time here, with our daughter coming directly from work, and our week ends are usually quiet. Deanne, I have been looking for the publication that publishes your work but haven't seen it recently. I do have one publication with your work included. Decorative art is beautiful. Being an artist/instructor and meeting schedules is also challenging work. Proud of your success and priviledged to read of your daily living. Our family are all continuing to move forward. I'll be at the beach 'in my dreams' but love the peace and quiet we now enjoy. EP

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

Vg , I think what you are refering to is what my dad made . It was called 'head cheese' I've found it in grocery stores , but it wasn't as good as his . Even then , I wasn't too crazy about his .

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

Oops! Sorry, forgot to answer your question Deanne. If I remember correctly my Tilt-a-Whirl cuttings last year seemed to look liked a minature of the mature one...but did notice as the winter progressed that their markings would fade quite a bit (as did most of my coleus) until I got them outside, then they all colored up nicely. I brought in my pot of it this year, but have not started cuttings of it yet...you reminded me that I better get to it.

TTYL! Ei

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

Good morning , all .

Our low was 6F , only one degree warmer than my records on this date , since we have lived here . I was chilly in bed , until I added my flannel nightgown over my sweats ! lol

Michelle , Kensie is a sweetie , regardless of what she is dressed as ! The costume is cute .

Martie , What an exciting prospect for Kyle , but I don't understand the " finished in September " statement .

LOL , Norma - your snow shoveling woman is a hoot .
    Thanks for the belated BD wishes . I've made it a lot further than I thought I would !
    Hmmmmm, do you reckon any of 'us' look like your last pic ? lol

Ei, I couldn't figure out those first two pics . I'm glad you explained ( I thought the second was Scout's paw print ! ). lol
    I'm sure glad you got home okay ... do you have to go back today ?
    I love your "Let it Snow" pics . Did you make the 'snow birds' ?

Teresa , your posts are never 'boring' .

It's interesting reading about other's adversion to eating meats . I know some cannot , due to health problems , but that is a very rare condition . Mostly it's a 'religious ' reason , i.e. - against one's beliefs . It doesn't bother me for anyone to share this . I am not about to be influenced by it ...or 'converted' .

VG - LOL on your snowman building project . One year ( about 22 years ago ) , I built a pretty neat 'snow cat ' .

Wow - Deanne - 12" ! But not surprising for NH . I sure hope your Doug has a safe drive .

Chelone , it always tickles me when you call Rex "Wrecks" !
    Our Tommy hates the cold , the snow , the rain , and the wind ! He is curled up in 'my' chair , close to the stove .
    Trubby isn't as picky , but doesn't stay out long , and bangs on the front storm door to be let in . The 2 shop cats stay in their warm beds until the sun is well up , then come to the front porch for breakfast , and a thawed bucket of water .

Eden - you are fortunate to have cats "tucked" around " like hot water bottles " Mine are staying close to the wood stove all night !
    I took advantage of the snow cover yesterday , and burned all the burnables that have been collecting through the drought . I dumped them on a couple of brush piles , in an attempt to 'kill two birds with one stone" . It worked pretty good . The biggest pile is still smoldering this morning .
    LOL - 50 new seed packets ...been there , done that !
    Is your Brad's 25 mile drive on level straight roads ?
    I don't think I have " North by Northwest " in my collection . I need to watch for it .

Woody - lovely pics !
    LOL , "Christian Stoner " . I get it ! Anyone want to cast the first stone at me ? Or does it mean I should be casting stones at others ? Let's hope it's just mental stones !

Oh dear , Mary . Sorry about your Mum's and your sis's airflight woes !

V , such a scary experience with the planes crashing near you ! We are under a flight pattern to and from the Harrison airport . Sometimes the planes are a little too low for comfort , and there are hills to clear !

Cynthia , I hope all works out well with your sister , and your get-together .

Marian

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

What an inspired TGIF greeting this morning Sue! It doesn't look like we got the predicted 5" here. Closer to 2" or maybe 3". But enough to make me just give up on ever having a clean kitchen floor this winter with 12 doggie feet dancin' when they race in from the cold. It does seem to warm up when it snows though....

Chelone, I must have missed your new car announcement. What did you end up?

EP, I'm not seeing ads, but know if they're the google ads, that used to be visible to all, they do automatically scan text and match ads to that. Let me know if you see any good corduroy jackets in those ads!

Mary, Maryland is the ice capital I think. We don't get much snow, but do get ice and for the most part people are not intrepid (that's a good thing actually.) Hope your sister and Mom get to their destinations safely.

Sylvia, too funny about your shop. I like your daughter's idea, just put up a closed sign.

I guess all those with snow can try to enjoy it?

Have a good day, Cynthia

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Found the tree decorations, ironed the bows.
    Found games and puzzles for kids.
    Need to copy the French songs soon.
    Off to chop onions and grate carrots now.
    The house is so tidy...downstairs. Hope they don't want a tour upstairs! Students party here on Tuesday. Hope I can keep things somewhat organized til then.

Thinking of Honey and her neighbour Ruth. Wonder about Ruth's brother also. Hugs to all!

'bug

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

The curtains are done and I am pleased with the final product. There is some fabric left so I think Ill make a few pillows. In the recycling mode, I will use 3 old pillows that I found in DDs closet and recover them. I also recycled an old bean bag that had gotten fairly flat, covered it with an old sleeping bag and now Jaden has a new bed. She was so excited! I have always lived with the waste not want not philosophy. Most times in my life out of a need to, now out of a desire to.

Last night was 2 of DHs grandchildrens school Christmas concert. Tonight is DHs office party. It will be at a country club.

You easterners, we didnt want the snow anymore, sorry to have to send it your way. It is supposed to be in the upper 20s today. Finally out of the deep freeze.

Deanne, your latest painting is wonderful. I just love your detail work. Speaking of recycling, Deanne, did you know that there are crafters that recycle wool clothing? Im not sure what my mom wants to make, but she was asking if I had any old wool clothing that I want to get rid of. I think they boil it. I hope Doug makes it safely.
    That is one good thing about a good snow pack, that it is a good insulator.

Sue, that sounds like quite a party. I dont know how fancy you make your party food, but we love a spinach dip that is on the Knorr soup mix box. It is better if made ahead of time and so simple.

SPINACH DIP
    1 cup sour cream
    1 cup mayonnaise
    10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained
    8 ounces water chestnuts, canned, chopped fine
    1 package Knorr vegetable soup and recipe mix, dry
    Mix. Serve chilled. Store in refrigerator.
    Serving Size: 8

Sylvia, I would definitely put a "Private Home" sign up. That would freak me out.

Ei, I loved your snow pictures. What fun snow angels are. I got a chuckle picturing how you got Scout to make his snow angel. My sympathies for the rough ride home.

T, your posts are never boring.

Woody, I really like your winter garden picture.

Mary, too bad for Mum that she and your DS had such travel problems.

Terrible about the little boy killed in the Chicago airplane crash.
    V, how frightening to fear the planes not staying up.

Back to work
    M

Before of DD former bedroom:

{{gwi:189230}}

After:
    {{gwi:189231}}

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay at least the ads are making me laugh!

When I first read the thread through 'bug's post, they were for (drumroll, please) corduroy blazers!

I refreshed and now they are for French lessons!

So whaddya want to buy?

How about cold remedies? I am not catching a cold; I am not catching a cold...

(sniff)
    V.

• chelone
    18 years ago

I HOWLED at "Christian Stoner", too. :) must be my age...

My late FIL and his wife lived in a lovely home near a very touristy area. They never locked their doors and there were people walking in several times a season. They never got too worked up over it. They would simply point out it was a private residence, NOT a shop and that was that. Interestingly, they made several very good friends over the years because of it! I'll bet the lack of apology was due to extreme embarrassment... not knowing what to say.

Our snow has mixed with rain, as is often the case when you live "au bord de la mer" (next to the ocean). Depending on the prevailing wind it might turn back to snow or it might remain liquid. Snow is prettier, that's for sure.

Cynthia, I ended up with the "car of the masses"... Ford Taurus wagon. It's OK; leather interior, power windows, locks, driver's seat, tape deck (room for CD changer), 85K miles on a 3.0 litre engine. It's a STONE on the road... , a real "neck snapper" NOT! I liked the zip of the 3.8 litre much more, but who needs the head gasket crap shoot? (both 3.8s suffered from it, I replaced it in the first one, it was the mortal wound for the second). There was nothing remotely interesting in a retired cruiser. So I went for "economy". Eh, it needs to start reliably, get me to work and around town. I have never assigned something so depreciable high status in my life. Why people persist in calling cars "assets" defies common sense... . What's up with sis.?

The helpmeet's grandparents were Welsh and German. Grosmama and Grospapa endured the crushing depression of the '20s in Germany. When they emigrated to this country, Grosmama wasted NOTHING. She canned, pickled, preserved eggs for future use in cooking, made wine, all the clothing, etc.. She was the queen of sausage. I lived in a very rural area that has become very "gentrified" in the past 15-20 years. I had friends who hunted and loved it. To this day, it doesn't bother my a bit, even though I have NO desire to take it up personally. I had friends who routinely raised chickens, lambs, hogs, cattle for market; the money they earned at auctions sent them to college! At the local "County Farm Day" there was always a clinic on how to properly butcher something! Grisly? yeah, I GUESS, but chicken, pork, lamb, and beef doesn't magically appear on the those Kotex pads, wrapped in plastic in a freezer. It's there because an animal was raised for meat and was slaughtered. I think it's important to remember that fact when/if you buy meat. We buy locally raised and butchered meat. And pay premium prices for it. We regard it as a luxury item and enjoy it as such. It's important to us to support local agriculture. MOFGA is one of the most active organic farming organizations in the country. We have been proud members for over 15 years now.

I have been enjoying the Lennon/McCartney tunes played on our local NPR affiliate today. It was 25 years ago yesterday that John Lennon was shot dead by some idiot who asked him for an autograph. How ironic that a man who lived his life espousing and advocating peace and understanding in the world was murdered. ;) Maybe Ei will post "Imagine" for us...

Kitchen cleaned, Mum up, dressed, fed, medicated. Laundry folded and put away. Errands accomplished. Fire started and now it's time to do something that will be FUN.

Later!

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Marie, don't you know guests always end up just where you don't want them to see, lol? J'espère que votre partie en française pour décorer l'arbre de Noël est un grand succès.

Mary, how terrible that both your mum and sister got caught at the airport in this weather. I sure hope they both are able to get to their destinations quickly and safely.

Marian, Brad drives on mostly expressways to and from work. Not hilly but dangerous when many drivers go much faster than road conditions dictate in bad weather.

The baseboard heat registers that I ordered back in October finally came today and they were 2 inches too short. My mistake, but now I have to send them back and wait some more for the new ones. Drats!

I'm not motivated today. Haven't done a thing. I did find something cute while I was looking for cookie recipes though. I know a few people I could give this to, how about you, lol? See the link below.

Eden

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

Cynthia, I never click on the ad links. They were at the bottom of the page when I first opened up the chit chat this morning. Hope you find what you need. I'd like some new corderoys too. I'd love be be somewhere warm with a pool and spa right now. The one piece bathing suit I've had for 10 years still fits. The 2 piece ones I've had for over 20 are still useable. It's been a glittery white morning but melted off now. The changes in the hillside scene have been beautiful and amazing these past few weeks. Ei, I enjoyed seeing your snow sculptures. I could tell you in detail how my mother prepared some of the things mentioned here but don't think you really want to know. Remember, Marian was 'imported' to Arkansas. My mother's historical family were Arkansas frontier families and my dad's were Cherokee 'Trail of Tears' survivors and Irish immigrants. They ate whatever they could find, kill, or grow. To Cherokee 'vegetarian' is a word for 'bad hunter' ... but we don't hunt... crawdad soup also a traditional food besides venison. Most celebrations inclued a 'hog fry' prepared by cutting pork meat into small pieces and cooking over a bed of coals in an iron kettle. I also have an 'Ozarks' recipe book left behind by my MIL but there's a lot in it that you don't 'really' want to know. I also have 'depression era' and 'favorite radio recipes' recipe books from the previous generation. Sometimes survival and availability takes priority over preferences. Isn't it wonderful we have conveniences and choices now. I am going into 'lurkdom'. EP

• just_t
    18 years ago

Good morning!

We (DH & myself) are awaiting a couple who are interested in purchasing a van we have advertised for sale. I hope they buy it, of course for the price we've set--or very near that. I hate selling anything and having strangers come into my little private world here.

Yep, a hermit lives here....a crabby hermit (will we see ads for seafood? For personal problem medications?).

Marian, I think the others weren't meaning a Christian stoned (meaning throwing stones at a Christian) rather Christian was a stoner (someone named Christian was high on drugs). I didn't look at the possible double meaning until Marian's post. I'm a bit disappointed in myself that I didn't catch it the way Marian did, though. :o)

No snow here....just temps in the mid 20's.

I found my own post boring.......wasn't going to give anyone else the opportunity to be bored when I knew it was a yawner. ;oD

When I was younger I dreamt of being a stand up comedian...or an author with storytelling abilites that would make the reader shut the book until they were able to contain their laughter. Writing too boring of missives just cannot be tolerated some times...it underlines that I didn't achieve some of my dreams. :oD

Okay, so now you know one of my secrets that I've never shared with anyone (comic/author). That is enough exposure for one morning.

I have an appointment with my dental hygienist and then after my check-up/cleaning I will go out to lunch with her. This is my first visit to her new place of employment and I don't want to be an embarrassment so I'd better go look in the mirror again. ;o) (Dental hygienist is my daughter).

The potential van purchasers should be here shortly too. Keep your fingers crossed for us?

Hello to all........

T.

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Eden, DD & DS found a huge piece of coal on the shores of NH. (I think that's where.) That heavy chunk has been passed around as a Christmas gift for the naughtiest member of the family for about 6-8 years.

Cleaned a bathroom.
    Grated vegetables for the vegetarian casserole.
    Folded laundry.
    Phone calls finished. (I hope)

I'm a mix on the no-meat issue. People need to know that meat and vegs aren't born in styrofoam and plastic. Vegs are often waxed and polished in stores- a huge waste of time too- in order to look "perfect". I hate red lights over the meat counter to make meats look more red.

The farmer is too often someone forgotten by a city person. Not only do they work incredibly hard, but now days they also have a second job, as does the wife. Their land is threatened at every turn by industry for the city. In our area it is for gravel, cassinos, water bottling, etc.

I too bonded with a calf that was sold for veal. Pigs are really alarming at butchering time. And rabbits are awful too. A farmer friend I know gave up on raising rabbits. The cattle farmer I know used to have several cows slaughtered at a time and not tell the family which one he kept for food. DH's mother used to kill chickens for their meals, as did my cook in Nigeria. Nothing like a squawk to tell you what's for dinner....

Achhh! I have work to do! Later!
    'bug

• vegangirl
    18 years ago

Deanne, Yes the lactose intolerance was a challenge and so was dealing with all DS's allergies later (soy, gluten, egg, tomato, etc.) but believe it or not my biggest challenge is my onion allergy that developed about 5 years ago! Everything I loved to make had onions in it and those favorites just aren't the same without the onions. It's just not quite as much fun to cook as it used to be but I'm starting to get some enthusiasm back and wanting to try some experiemnts with onionless receipes. Hope Doug gets home safely. And Mary's Mum. And everybody!

Martie, have fun with your no schoolers and making snowmen:-)

Chelone, it's good that Rex likes to ride. Lady tends to get carsick. She too loves the snow. She loves it when I throw snowballs for her to catch.

LOL about Christian Stoner!

V, Wow! That must be some wicked allergy that he can't even touch the pork! I know gluten intolerant people have to be that careful, even to not licking stamps, etc. Scary about the planes. I think I would be like you every time a plane flew over! I had not noticed that the ads reflected the discussions. I just signed up for some free online piano lessons. I wonder it that will show up in an ad now?

Ei, that is an interesting story about your friend and the pigs.

Marian thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Thinking about Chelone'a doing something fun. I've been thinking about all those things I'm going to do "someday". Not the work things but fun things. I'm always telling myself that someday I'm going to hand tame some chicakdees at the feeder. I did this once decades ago. And I'm going to learn to play the piano better, etc. I decided that I'm not getting any younger so I began today with the aforementioned online piano lessons. I also spent about 20 minutes standing by the feeder and letting the birds get used to me. After about 10 min. the chickadees, titmice and nuthatch started making test flights toward and hovering by the feeder. Soon they were landing just long enough to grab a seed and go. Then they began to linger just seconds longer each time. When I did this so long ago, we had a Jeep and I put a fence rail thru the windows near the feeder. At first I put a few sunflower seeds on the rail, then I put a leather glove on the rail with seeds in it. Then I stuck my arm out the window with the glove on my hand, then my hand without the glove, Finally I was able to hold my hand right by my face. The chickadees woudl look into my eyes and make little burbles. Then I always carried seeds in my pocket for whenever they would see me outside they'd come for a treat. They never approached any other person on our property, just me. Then we started going away for the winters and the birds and I lost contact. All these years I've dreamed of doing that again.

So folks, what are YOU always saying you'll do someday? Maybe today is the day to begin:-)
    VG

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

Teresa , I am glad I didn't get the 'stoned' meaning that you and others got . I'm not into insulting Christians ! But I DO think I am getting the message ...sorry I didn't stay gone , as I said I was going to !

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

I've been working on the chickadee and nuthatch thing too. I've managed some photos, but I get cold waiting. I think you have to have much patience. Wearing an old film canister on a string like a necklace is one trick. Fill it with sunflower seed etc, then you have it handy when they show up.

Also, DD developed the onion/garlic allergy a few years ago and truly it is difficult. She uses lots of spices now, eats hot peppers a great deal. She eats meat, but her partner does not, and he's the cook. They have the best thing going I think. She reads to him while he cooks. Whatever works!

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Aw come on Marian....stop taking it all personally. Stick around and keep us up to date on your surroundings, family, kitties and activites. 'Tis the season not to be gloomy. I'm working on it too.

• vegangirl
    18 years ago

Eden, forgot to mention that I got a chuckle about the image of you tucking cats around you like hot water bottles:-)

Marie,We had a young fellow visiting us for a few days who had just found out where eggs came from. He was horrified (he was about 18 yrs old). I have to admit that we were a bit amused at his horror:-) He had a difficult time with the fact that eggs came from chickens and came thru the same opening that their body waste came thru. I've have many people tell me that if they had to butcher their own meat they would not eat it. Disclaimer: I am not trying to convince, convert, manipulate or otherwise try to get anybody to stop eating meat. I am not saying it's bad, wrong, or anything else. I am merely conversing on the subject and enjoying the conversation as much as I enjoy conversing about gardens, pets, etc. We don't all make the same choices because we are all different and that's fine. Right?:)

We have got to get out of here and clean the church. DH said the higyway was starting to thaw, thanks to the salt truck so I hope it's OK across the mountain.
    VG

EP thats funny about the Cherokee word for vegetarian being "bad hunter":-)

• vegangirl
    18 years ago

Marie, that's a great idea about the film canister necklace for seeds. Thanks for sharing that!

Marian, I got the same meaning you did! Funny how we all laughed but for different reasons. More proof that we are all different:-)

BTW, the ice not the highway is thawing. Just as I hit Submit I had this vision of the highway melting and running down into the woods leaving the bare dirt base:-)

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

I am not reading right now. Just want to share this link to our 'Oklahoma Gardening' TV programming including some good recipes as well as gardening education. You can click on the 'previous shows' links for the presentations throughout 2005. Just had the 'blackeyed pea salad' (bottom of this link) for lunch so decided to share this segement. Hope to try some of the other recipes. The 'studio garden' is in Stillwater, OK and very interesting to visit. EP

• chelone
    18 years ago

Yeah, Marian, you worry too much. It's not good for your health or your spirit. No one here is in to "dissin'" anything that you're "about". We LIKE YOU! you're fun, you bring experience and interests to the mix. And we like to have a good chuckle at things that strike us as funny. That's all.

I'm going to be 47 early next year. I've smoked and eaten "grass", more than once. I'm living proof that your hair doesn't turn green and you don't "blow up" just because you've done something "illegal". (My hair is grey and I hold a full time job that funds your social security checks, have paid for a house, have a retirement plan of my own). I'm frighteningly ordinary, really. Reconcile it as nothing more than a commonly shared experience for a lot of us who "fit" into the demographic of children of women like just like you and EP.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

An update...

TGIF!

Sun's out here. It was coming down fast for a few hours-looks like we got maybe 5 or 6 inches. Not 15 minutes before the storm cleared the CEO came around and told me to let everyone go home at 2.. Believe me when I tell you it was a$$es and elbows out of here at the stroke of 2. Every time I opened my mouth and said, "But the sun came out." I'd get this group SHHHHHHH! all down the hallway. lol

The wind is picking up. It will be a nipply evening for party finery. I have a 3:45 appointment at a local hair salon to have my hair put up for the party-something different. Yesterday the manicurist in the same place did my nails-girly girl stuff for the holidays. Lately though I've been accused of everything from having a mid life crisis to having a boyfriend. People are suspicious of change I guess.

Sue

• veronicastrum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Marian, I think we're laughing at "Christian Stoner" not as an insult to Christians but for the same reasons that George Carlin makes fun of jumbo shrimp.

It's the inherent contradiction that makes it funny.

Please stay?

V.

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

V , it does take on a differant light when you put it that way . Thanks .
    As Ei would say ...I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer . I'm afraid any expression from the 'marijauna' age is foreign to me .

• Woody_Canada
    18 years ago

Marian - my 'take' on that name was not meant to be insulting to anyone - it just struck me as an odd combination of words in a modern context in comparison to what was probably a common name with no particularly unusual meaning in its time - although your word play was clever too and, with that in mind, the name might have struck people as odd in the original time frame too. It is interesting to watch how words and their meanings change over time. The Oxford English Dictionary, which traces usage of words over time, can be interesting reading too.

A major snag in my plans for my a/c screen - the cost of copper mesh is too high - I think I'll have to substitute galvanished 1/8" hardware cloth....

• chelone
    18 years ago

V. has such a nice way with words! I'm glad she was able to so eloquently voice what I was not.

No kids of my own has perhaps failed to activate the "gentle" gene... maybe it's the discretionary one? ;)

What I value most of all about this group is the diversity. I think it's really neat that we have 70-somethings chirping away with 20-somethings and we all have neat things to contribute. I think that's great!

It's my personal philosophy that a day without a good belly-laugh is a waste of 24 hours. I'll laugh at a lot of things that are considered "inapropriate"; not proud, just honest. I don't much very seriously, except cruelty to animals, children, and our fellow man. THAT, I take very seriously. Everything else is basically "fair game".

It is snowing to beat the band right now. I'm thinking about Sue's post saying the sun was out! It'll be fun to see when it stops and the clearing begins. The helpmeet is home and conveys the driving was CRUMMY. Zero visibility, really slick. He's home 3 hours early. We had under 2' at about noon, now we're over 7"! and it's comin' down with no end in sight.

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

My friend used copper hardware cloth on kitchen cupboards in her la-di-da house in Toronto. Would that work Woody? Not sure where she finally found it. It was a struggle. I can ask her if you like?

OK, dumb question I know...Who is George Carlin?

Imagine, while cleaning up the guest bedroom, I found a French/English dictionary! Sometimes the timing of things is just plain strange. The dictionary was proping open the window!

Mary, DH will be in Rochester for a few days next month. Don't think I can tag along though. :-(

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

Hi Guys...just a pop in to see what's what! Just got back from grocery shopping and can't dally.

Marian...you gotta stop saying "As Ei always says...I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer"...They're gonna think I was saying it about you, when it was about me! LOL! :-) If you want to know just how dull this old knife is...the whole name thing went completely over my head...must have missed the original post about it. Kept reading later references, but didn't know what the heck they were talking about. Glad V gave you a new perspective. Now that I know what everyone is talking about, I think that V is right. :-) And absolutely you know that you are much admired and okay, I'll say it "loved" and can't imagine anyone wanting to hurt or insult you. So please don't go away - Think Chelone said it best and you *would* be missed *way* too much.

LOL Sue...loved your song...hope you have a great Christmas party you little girly girl! :-)

T - thanks for the compliments last night. See you've been working on my time schedule these days! BTW, I could so see you as a comedian *and* a writer. I still get a chuckle when I think about that story you told about your mom at the DMV.

Eden...loved the snowman gift! LOL! Now I know just what to get my brother for Christmas this year! :-)

Have a great day all...Ei

• chelone
    18 years ago

George Carlin in an incredibly funny stand-up comedian.

It was he who really paved the way for the present generation. He followed in the tracks of Lenny Bruce, but toned it down, "cleaned it up", and it was funnier because of it! He was one of the first comedians to make reference to the "drug culture". He is a comedic GENIOUS. And a national treasure, just like Richard Pryor and Bob Newhart. (But Cheech and Chong "kill" me, too...")

I TOLD you I laugh raucously at inappropriate material...

Snow is abating rapidly, Sue! fun to track systems by the postings of fellow Idyllettes...

• Woody_Canada
    18 years ago

GB - copper hardware cloth is what I was looking at - I need 15 feet of 3' wide cloth. I got quotes from a place in Toronto and one in California (found it on-line...) The California place was actually cheaper by a bit - unless there are customs duties... But it was still going to cost ~$450 CDN + the cost of wood, screws, miscellaneous odds and sods to put it all together and I thought $600+ is a bit pricey for an screen for an a/c an assorted messy pipes and ducts - even a 7' long screen! I can get the galvanized stuff for about $100 (the 1/8" is more expensive than the wider, garden variety kind...) It will still be a somewhat pricey screen but more reasonable and I think it will still look OK. I may try to find some copper I can use at trim or something to help tie it visually to the gate/fence. What is interesting now about the copper pipe fence/gate is that, from a distance, it is almost invisible - you see the wooden frame and you do see the pipes but they don't register somehow and it just looks transparent. Very odd - not what I expected.

You don't know who George Carlin is?! Very funny guy - maybe you were out of the country when he was in his prime....

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting