Comments (104)

• Monique z6a CT
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I hope all in Idyll land are having a happy, peaceful day, full of love.

Nolon and I are watching " Fried Green Tomatoes". I have the video, and the comment awhile back about "Towando"..sp... caused me to hunt it up and watch it again. :-)

It is clear and warming nicely here. Presently 46F. Supposed to get close to 60 tomorrow!!!

Marian

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

gardeningmary - no, I don't believe I knew about the Idylls then and really not sure what they are now. I've been reading the threads lately,tho and just thought I'd stick my big nose in today being Christmas and all. ha. What I should have said is that I have come back to The Garden Web after many years.

• chelone
    15 years ago

Coolest gifts so far?
    1.) Tom Jones Greatest Hits
    2.) PBS DVD on Benjamin Franklin

We've had roast beef, broccoli, rhutabega, mashed pototoes and gravy. And cake.

It's time for me to haul my overloaded carcass to a quiet location for proper digestion to occur. I'll wager a cat/two won't be too far behind.

I liked that movie, Marian.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone.. champagne with breakfast this morning, and there will be prime rib and yorkshire pudding for dinner. The snow has been coming down on and off all day, but we are seeing a bit of sun now. Great to see Babs stop by,and I'll bet Brenda is just about in a frenzy by now !

Wishing fun and happiness to all...

Kathy in Portland

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Merry Christmas!

Day 2 of the festivities has come to a close and Nick and I are about to settle on the couch for some "quiet time."

Nick received Planet Earth on DVD....I got a really cool bee book that I'm bumping up on my reading list. Both should make winter a little more fun.

Speaking of the bees, I was so happy to see the snow melted from their entrance. Jake had cleared a small spot for fresh air, but I was concerned.....here's a shot with the entrance covered:
    {{gwi:189297}}

Good night all....tomorrow we have the family Christmas party (the other side of the family).....I'm going to fast the rest of winter vacation, lol!

Saucy

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

We had a lovely day. Ricks son and wife joined us for worship services. My mom and dad joined us for dinner. I made turkey breast, stuffing with wild rice, mushrooms and walnuts, spiced cranberry and pear sauce, twice baked potatoes and mom made white chocolate mousse with raspberry sauce. We spent some time on the webcam with Kenzie and family. They opened the gifts we had sent them. They all seemed to be a hit, but my heart was warmed when Kenzie kept returning to the I Spy Book. We watched some of the slide show of my garden, which had us, all longing for spring.

I guess Kenzie had a very hard time getting to sleep last night and peeked out of her room several times to see if Santa had arrived.

Jerri, I havent read the Dewey book yet but simply must since I worked at that very library one year while in college. Unfortunately it was a few years before Dewey showed up. I live an hour from there now.

Thats all from here for now.

Michelle

• chelone
    15 years ago

Jerri, I meant to tell you that I loved Dewey! and will read it again when it (finally) comes off the most requested list at the library.

It was just the helpmeet and I yesterday and it was great fun. We didn't bother to even get dressed, preferring to hang around in our "loungewear". Given the availability of food we were appreciative of expandable waistbands. VERY decadent. :)

Among the items I brought back from THTTF were the window candles. When I was a little kid one of the big thrills was being allowed to put one in my bedroom window and I always selected a blue bulb... and finding a sole candle with its blue bulb when I opened the box at home was a poignant memory of Christmas past. So I smiled at the image of Kenzie repeatedly poking her nose out of her room to see if Santa had come yet. I remember lying in bed thinking morning would NEVER come. :) Also, that our home was usually the first one in the neighborhood to turn on the lights, lol. I'll bet all kids associated with the Idyll regulars slept pretty soundly last night!

So what am I going to do today? will I undertake the grouting of the hearth out in the Salon? cull books from the library bookshelves, perhaps swab out the interior of the 'frig.? One this is a certainty, though. I have NO intention of going within a mile of any store today.

And here's to Eartha Kitt; seems somehow fitting that she died on Christmas. I have been enjoying a wonderful holiday CD over the past few weeks, "Louis Armstrong & Friends, What a Wonderful Christmas" and "Santa Baby" is on it. Though my favorites are: "Christmas In New Orleans", "Christmas Night in Harlem", and "Zat You, Santa Claus?". I am clearly my father's daughter, he loved Satchmo and I do, too. I recall her on "Batman", but did not realize how outspoken she had been about Viet Nam, nor did I realize that she worked cotton fields as a child.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good morning! :-)

What a nice Christmas surprise we had yesterday, when the sun came out! I see the sun coming out again this morning now.

We had a wonderful day. Everyone enjoyed their gifts with a few surprises. The most used gift yesterday was an electric foot massager that was out of the box and in constant use the remainder of the day...lol. We had a lot of laughs and dinner was flawless. Our four legged visitor was the perfect guest. I am only afraid that when she gets home, she will be so bored and lonesome after all the affection and attention she received since she arrived here.

DH has already left for work two hours ago, but is hoping to clear up a few matters and be home by 10am. DS will be leaving for home later this afternoon and we will be very sad to see him go. :-( We really did have a great visit with him though. :-)

T....happy to see a post from you. :-) Would love to see grandbaby photos and some 'snow' photos if you find the time.

Denise...that was a a very nice poem and I had the impression that a gardener might have written it. I also thought the Willow Manor website looked interesting and want to go back and check it out more. I mentioned to our DS who has 5 cats, your comments about finding a different cat parked under the Christmas tree every time you passed, and received a broad smile and saw a twinkle of 'cat appreciation' in his eye. :-)

Chelone....did you take a photo of your cake and did the helpmeet ever recover from his grumpiness? Did Rex turn up? My favorite Tom Jones song...'Green Green Grass of Home'. Had a chuckle picturing your childhood house with all white lights and one blue. You seem to have wonderful memories of your childhood.

I was also thinking how unusual it was that Eartha Kitt should pass away on Christmas, since her 'Santa Baby' is a favorite we play every year. Favorite Louis Armstrong song...with Ella...'A Foggy Day'.

Saucy...DH and I really enjoyed that Planet Earth series. Not sure where the bee entrance is in your photo?

Mary...what is in Sticky Toffee Pudding? Glad your finger is healing.

Cynthia...thanks for the YoYoMa link. I had not listened to his music before. I wonder how it is that they placed a link to so much of his music and full tracks too. I spent some time trying quite a few tracks. I liked the 'Christmas Jig' and 'Favorite Things' tracks.

Jerri...I like the names you chose for your animals. Sounds like you had a peaceful day.

Cindy...glad you had the gift of beef this year...lol.

V....wondering what type of Christmas tree that is? My family tells me I always buy ornaments that are too heavy and I want to try to find one with sturdier branches next year. Yours looks pretty sturdy. Enjoyed your photos...so nice you have such great space to enjoy every day. Nice to see DH enjoying your dogs and the snow. :-)

Michelle...what a great ornament! You would win the bet, no ornaments like that on our tree. [g] Glad Kenzie enjoyed your gift.

Babs...what a nice Christmas greeting! Although it is great to hear that your life is perking along in a good direction, I look forward to a break in the action so you can visit with us soon.

Ei...Merry Christmas to you too! Look forward to more time to Idyll for you in the new year too.

Hello schoolhouse. Welcome back to Garden Web. :-)

Hi Monique. :-)

Marian....I always enjoy Jessica Tandy. I loved her in Driving Miss Daisy and Batteries Not Included was really cute too.

Hope all are able to sleep in this morning...I am sure I can find a few photos to post later...

pm2

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Happy second day of Christmas and the relaxation it will bring to the house.

The last 48 hours have been spent giving and receiving every good wish imaginable, starting with "everyone who actually showed up for work today (Wednesday) can leave whenever you want (as of 9am). Finishing with coffee this morning and realizing that there is absolutely no reason to leave the house all day.

In between, Wednesday evening at my sisters for Shepard's Pie, Angel food cake, Manger mushrooms (crab meat Can look like straw :-) and gratitude that my parents are able to be with us in every sense of the words.

Yesterday, DsD's for ham, mashed potatoes, three squash casserole, asparagus, cheesecake, fun with remote control things that fly, and all good. Home early.

A few memories in particular:

Sometimes, despite the "man-ness" of DH's, they really get it right, especially when one's shower head has been the generic since the adjustable one broke sometime in September. I came home to this on Wednesday and it's one of the best gifts, ever:

{{gwi:189298}}

No major decorating this year, but put this together to bring together all the elements of the season:

{{gwi:189299}}

And, "she" has found a perfect place to recharge toward another year, one wing less but no less beautiful.....

{{gwi:189300}}

Blessings of all kinds to everyone -- it's so good to hear some missing voices!!

(Bach's Little Prelude and Fugue in G Minor wailing away at the moment --nothing like some frenzy to get going in the morning. LOL)

Martie

• cynthia_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:189301}}

• saucydog
    15 years ago

~Happy Birthday Monique!~

{{gwi:189302}}

Saucy

• chelone
    15 years ago

Hope you make plenty of time for this sort of activity today:

{{gwi:189303}}

Happy birthday, Monique!

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Monique!

{{gwi:189304}}

Eden

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I posted my Idyll message on the solstice thread!

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MONIQUE!!!

{{gwi:189306}}

Martie

• deanneart
    15 years ago

{{gwi:189305}}

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Monique !

{{gwi:189307}}

I am missing seeing you here....

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Well it's over and I hope you all had a great Christmas. We did but now I'm ready to pack up Christmas and welcome in the new year with a clean uncluttered house. Too far behind for much commenting but I did love seeing Kenzie and Saucy's Sarah and it was nice to see Babs, Monique and Eileen's names.

Here's a few pictures from yesterday.

Bella with Bitty Baby. They have matching Christmas dresses.

{{gwi:189308}}

Spike vs. Magglio

{{gwi:189309}}

My mom always knitted everyone a pair of socks as part of her Christmas presents to us and she had finished them all last summer. My dad wrapped up the things she had made and handed them out. In this next picture Bella was being silly and has on the pair of socks Megan received and a ladybug sweater that my mom had also gotten finished for her (there's also a matching ladybug hat that she's not wearing).

{{gwi:189310}}

And lastly here's Jenni and her baby Kate bump

{{gwi:189311}}

Eden

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Happy birthday, Monique!

{{gwi:189312}}

Recuperating from gluttony, merriment and fun of yesterday.... slugdom at its finest... So lovely to see so many idyllers and garden folk checking in. I'll check back in when my brain regenerates (oops, that may be asking too much -- when my brain at least re-awakens).

Chloe is recovering from her panic attacks relating to a meat thermometer that beeped and talked --

--Cindy

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

{{gwi:189313}}

An appropriate quote from one of the garden books Randy got for me for Christmas - a book that he picked up in a used book store:
    on gardeners... 'who are painting their picture upon the Earth in their day, with whom we may share the thrill gardeners alone know, that sting of pleasure which makes our eyes go bright and hearts sing... and causes the ignorant and the outcast to call us mad." (Marion Cran, I Know a Garden, 1933)

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

{{gwi:189315}}

Happy Birthday Monique !

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

I don't have access to my photo files but I want to add my
    birthday wishes to Monique!

Jerri

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Marian Cran is my new hero.

Kate is already beautiful Eden. The striped stockings are still great! Magglio does not look happy. I Like Maggio :-)

I'd love to be in Jerri's head right now ;-)

Sounds like your day was perfect, Cindy.

Hope the suffering has subsided, V. Those cones are all over your tree? Beautiful!

How many minutes 'til your flight, Michelle?

Keeping a lookout for local snowblower deals, Sue.

Methinks you should produce notecards from your African Violet collection photo, Marian. They're all favorites.

Wish I could give Dannie a rib bone from the beast currently on the grill......((((Dannie and Cynthia)))

We need to get internet access up to the Salon before camp. Where's Chelone?????

Our poor sons will always be our sons, won't they PM2? LOL

And to ALL a good night!!

Martie

• chelone
    15 years ago

Why I'm just in from the Salon, Martie! I grouted the hearth this afternoon. I did not like using the thin set mortar for the tiles or doing the grouting. The directions on the packages consisted of little more than pictures (probably because the people using them don't read english), and I wasn't at all sure how the mix should feel. I'd have found it helpful to have a description like "consistency of brownie mix". Anyway, it's done and the mess is cleaned up! it will "cure" for a couple of days and then I'll seal the grout against staining. Naturally, I see everything that I did wrong. ;) The stove should be set for the break-in fires in a few days' time. Time to purchase the fireplace tools, huh? We set up the 3 way intercom system today, too. As the helpmeet pointed out, "I like to know I can say, 'Mr. Watson, come here, I need you!' if there is an emergency." He's a practical sorta guy.

I did take a couple of shots for you, PM, though they were utterly staged this morning after I finished cleaning the kitchen. After I add a few more I'll post them for you. The cake was well received and there is rather a lot of it left, so some may go into the freezer pretty soon. I'll bet the foot massager is pretty nice.

Saucy, that shot of Sarah is fabulous. She has the most expressive face, so much like your's. I liked the view of the backyard and the hive with all the snow, was that the last storm? And you'll be curled up with your bee book for some time to come, huh?

I thought of Deanne yesterday, wondering if she was having a great day off photographing birds. Any Snowy Owls?

I wondered what kind of tree that was, too, V. Loved seeing DH rolling around with the dogs, lots of that action here, too. :)

Eden, great shots. Magglio looks so different than the puppy shots you posted. I thought there were 12 days of Christmas, and there you are ready to "fold up shop" before the fat lady's had a chance to sing. January 6th., baby! ;)

That shower head is pretty slick, Martie. What a great gift! and the bow is just perfect. Little things really do mean the most, don't they? Your decorations are beautiful, very festive.

I hope 'bug is having fun with her family, we know that Phoebe is having the time of her life, hangin' with Woody, Randy, and Misty.

We're having hot roast beef sandwiches this evening and probably cake, too. OK, gotta go watch some news. And then I'm going to try to finish my book (I've renewed it about 4 times).

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Martie, trust me, you would never want to be in my head!
    ROBL (rolling on bed laughing)

Jerri

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Monique!

Sorry, no card. I still don't have all my programs reloaded from the virus attack a couple of weeks ago.

Enjoying all the pictures. Fortunately there are none of me playing Wii games and Wii fit with my friend's son yesterday. Gotta admit it was fun. I swear the main reason they invited me was to have someone new to make fun of while doing wii hula hoop...lol.

Martie, keep looking for that snowblower. Craig's list doesn't seem to be offering much but really old machines and I'm just not comfortable going that route. Of course it's supposed to be close to 60 here by Sunday so maybe I can get lulled into that false sense of security again.

OK, lights out. Company tomorrow and still lots to do.

Sue

PS No TGIF today. It doesn't seem appropriate.

• Monique z6a CT
    15 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all the birthday wishes-I enjoy seeing flowers especially this time of year with all the snow we've had lately. I also like the dogs that were in some of the photos. I'm grateful for all of your sweet wishes and pictures especially since I was so lax this year in promoting each of your special days. My only explanation is that my ancient computer's hard drive is so full that I have to download the garden photos onto my external HD. It takes about 30 seconds to scroll between each photo and I don't even look at them anymore. I'm hoping that either I will get a laptop during the next year or do something to increase my PC's internal memory. Thanks again friends!!!

• chelone
    15 years ago

I was up at my usual time and heard The Huge One whining next to his Daddy's slumbering form. No response from the slumberer. So, I donned my winter attire and took Rex out. I think the "boot camp regime" is having an effect on him, you guys. He was all set to bolt out the door (the way he does with Daddy) until I said, "wait". He didn't cross the threshold until I said, "OK", patiently looking up at me from time to time. He then raced off for the woods in high excitement (Foxy Loxy has been sited several times over the course of the past couple of weeks) but stayed around when he heard me call to him and tell him to "stick around". Naturally, I could have avoided all of it by simply putting a leash on him, but that's not the point of the exercise. I had to laugh at the helpmeet the other day when he lamented that the dog "minds you better than me". I'm into saying the command ONE time (then beating him into compliance). When he explodes into barking (as he is wont to do) I give him the "leave it" command and then give him a command he knows cold, something he will do automatically. I've found it's easier to stop an unwanted behavior by asking for one that's easy for him and reestablishes my control of him. He is definitely not a "beginner's" dog but interestingly I dislike him least of all the dogs we've had before him. ;)

I completely forgot to mention the socks and other knitted items your Mom made before her death, Eden. You know what they say about "good intentions"! You'll have to take a shot of your feet in your new socks and share it with us. I treasure the beautiful mittens Mum used to make for me. I have a couple of thumb holes that need darning, and I may just haul out the darning egg that belonged to my great-great grandmother and accomplish the task. It must have been a bittersweet holiday for your family, though no less joyous. I love that your Dad wrapped your Mom's final gifts to you. Such a loving gesture of farewell and family solidarity. :)

I had to chuckle over how many minutes until Michelle's flight departs, Martie. And I thought of Rich, too, as I once again pondered the staircase railing in the Salon. One of the last remaining things to be done in the Salon is to wire the cable to the face plates. And, also, I have to add two more outlets next to the cable hook ups that are higher on the wall. My brother said he will help me with that, so I may avoid the whining minefield that goes with asking the helpmeet. ;) I checked the grout this morning and its lightened up in color nicely, though there are still some darker areas that haven't dried completely.

It is very warm outdoors this morning. Don't be fooled by it, Sue. You will once again require a snowblower. The cats are relieved that they now have a couple of paths to explore when they go outside and what remains of the packed snow/ice should be nicely on the way to melting by the end of the weekend. What do you want to wager that as soon as you purchase one for yourself we will get no more snow? What are you waiting for? get out there and stimulate the economy! They are starting to use those Wii fitness thingys in nursing holes, you know.

How's the foot feeling these days, Jerri? Still really sore or is it more managed now? And are you enjoying "Dewey"? We watched a "Three Stooges" DVD the other day and some poor slob was in traction, not good postion to be in when Mo, Larry, and Curly are in the vicinity. Anyway, I thought of you in your bed... be thankful Mo, Larry, and Curly have received their just rewards and no such personages will arrive to minister to your recuperative needs. :)

The sky is lightening and I think I'll spend some quality time calculating drapery yardages and/or working on the layout for the floor. It will require painting pretty soon and I've been toying with some simple layouts that could give it a little "punch". Sadly, I'll have to use latex paint (doesn't wear nearly as long as alkyd) and will have to rethink the usual products I've used in the past to fill cracks and nailholes because they may not be compatible with a water-based paint system. It's going to take a lot of fabric to dress the windows out there. :)

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

You could never guess what our low was last night. It went from a low of 2F Monday, to a low of 61F this morning!!!!
    Strong winds and rains all through night. We are under a tornado watch until 2 this afternoon.It is not raining right now, but the wind is strong.
    I had hoped to go to a funeral today, but...between the prospect of severe weather, and the fact that I developed a sinus infection yesterday, I believe staying at home is the wise thing to do.

The funeral is for a 70 year old man that was one of our first friends when we moved back to Arkansas in '77. He and his dear wife celebrated their 50th anniversary about 2 months ago. I am thankful that we saw them at Nolon's last doctor appointment, and had a nice visit with them. It had been a long time since we last saw them.

Our high temp yesterday was 68. Naturally I let the fire go out, and will not need to restart it until later today when a cold front moves in.

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

For those who asked, my tree is a red pine. The branches are sturdier than the white pines. If we get a wee bit of sunshine today, I'll get some more photos of the cones on the tree. Most of them have opened up, and we've had lots and lots of seeds.

We are celebrating Christmas with my son and his fiance today, so I need to run. I'm expecting to have some quiet time tonight to catch up on things.

By the way, most of our snow melted overnight. Can you say "extremely sloppy"?

V.

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Hi all,

A gloomy day here but we are off to visit friends so no gloom here. I cant tell you how happy I am at the moment that I dont have any decorations to take down this year. LOL I must just be getting lazy. I did give the house a good cleanup yesterday and that felt great. Isnt it always so lovely to get up the day after a serious cleaning and see the clean house instead of thinking to oneself "boy I have to get out the vacuum!" LOL

Chelone, we never got to Plum Island on Christmas Day but we did get over to Rye Harbor and had a lovely drive along the NH coast. I did get a few nice shots of a Loon. And some not so terrific shots of a Long-tailed Duck, Buffleheads, and a female Goldeneye. Do you happen to know of any good areas up in your neck of the woods where the ducks congregate for winter? Im especially looking for Eiders.
    {{gwi:189317}}

Marian, cant believe those temps!!!!! I thought it was crazy around here but our temp swings dont hold a candle to that.

Cindy, I lol over poor Chloe having a panic attack over a meat thermometer.

Eden, fantastic photos!!!! Love the shots of Spike not knowing what to make of Magglio. LOL ~~~ I cant imagine how bittersweet it was to open gifts that were hand made by your Mom. That brought tears to my eyes. ((((Eden))))) ~~ That Bella is growing so fast and is a sweet as can be.

Ooooo Martie! That shower head is FABU-FABU! Isnt it wonderful where they get it right???? Love it.

Michelle, it sounds like you had a wonderful day. Im curious about your wild rice stuffing recipe? It sounds fantastic and something Id like to try. I think I need to get my garden pictures on a slide show. It would be good therapy during the winter months.

Saucy love the winter garden photo and Im so glad to hear the bees are doing well.

Kathy, champagne breakfast sounds fabu. How was the prime rib and Yorkshire pudding?

Jerri, how is the healing going!

OK Ive got to get off this computer and get some plants watered. Exercise and get out of this house. Have a fantastic day everyone!

Deanne

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

{{gwi:189318}}

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Good Saturday morning. I dont have to leave the house until later this morning so its nice to Idyll with something warm to drink and wrapped up in a fuzzy robe.

Deanne, I really like the slideshow of garden pictures since I can pop it into the DVD player and watch it on the big screen TV. At least that beast is good for something LOL From the shot you posted it appears that your Christmas day excursion was successful.

The wild Rice and mushroom stuffing was really just me adding cooked wild rice, sliced fresh mushrooms and slightly chopped walnuts to my regular stuffing.

Our temps yesterday started out at 30 which was unreal since we had seen so many mornings that were below zero. I think it got to about 47, so we have lots of slop here as well.

Marian, my sympathies to you and Nolon on the loss of your friend.

Martie, lets just say 176 hours Ill let you do the math ;o) The shower head is really quite lovely and thoughtful.

Eden, I love the ladybug sweater and how wonderful to have such special gifts from your mom. Bella looks adorable with the sweater and the socks. Jen certainly has that "glow"

Painted floors and yards of fabric on the windows sounds just lovely for the salon. Is that a stencil I see taped on the wall?

No snowy owls spotted here, but we did see a Great Horned Owl in a tree the other day. I used the video camera to zoom in on him. I can see much better with it than with binoculars.

We have our final get together today with my parents, my sister and family from Wisconsin and my son and GF. It will be at my parents house which is about an hour away. An appetizer is all that was requested from me.

Have a great Saturday!

Michelle

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Happy birthday, Monique. I know Gmail provides at least 3 gigabytes of free storage. Perhaps some of the photos could be parked there and then Picassa used to manage them?

Before I take down the tree, no tractors here, Michelle, but pirate ships we've got.

{{gwi:189319}}

• cynthia_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Almost 50F here and I should be raking, but I want to waste an hour at Jo-Ann's Fabric instead. Their 'red tag' fabrics are 50% off the mark down price, and that always spurs my creativity :)

Just stopped by to oogle pictures. Love the loon Deanne! (It's been a long time since I saw one, so I hope that's a loon anyway.)

And the tractor and pirate ship are unique touches to Michelle and Denise's trees. V's tree clad in cones doesn't need much else. Bella has fashion sense! She's going to be a leader. I noted the patterned stockings that I think she wore when her date with Santa was broken? They look smashing with the extra layer of lime green and polka dot sweater too. And Magglio is handsome! Nice gift for you Martie ~ and your table looks lovely with the special angel.

Alright, I'm off to waste time. Have been puttering this morning and really think wondering where the day went is a pretty healthy indulgence sometimes.

Hi to all!

Cynthia

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Greetings IdyllsDS and I have returned from the snowy Northwest-as we headed out the rain and warmer temps were headed in , what a mess that city is going to be for the next few days. Have enjoyed the photos and many reports of festivities here., and took note that Marian is having warmer temps in the Ozarks than we are in Northern Cal. Marian I loved the photo you posted of the violet blossoms..

Monique, my DS and I got both an expanded memory and an additional external hard drive to hold the photo and music files, very glad we did.

Deanne, the loon is wonderful. I love shore birds. The Prime Rib and Yorkshire pudding were fabu ! My BIL somehow managed to get a USDA Prime cut of meat and you could almost cut the thing with a fork. They have a pile of leftovers too.

My DD was unable to get to Portland because of the bad rode conditions so they had Christmas in Eugene. My BIL will drive down next weekend with the gifts from all of usso you are spared any baby pics from me this go round !

Waves to all, I have some unpacking chores to perform, and will read the paper (s)
    That piled up while we were gone

Later .

Kathy in Napa

One of my favorite ornaments- the Golden Gate Bridge {{gwi:189320}}From Christmas 2008

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

On the third day of Christmas.......

Power shopping with gift cards yielded a pile of bargains and my work wardrobe doesn't have to be touched for another season. Whew!! I love shopping but not when I actually have to concentrate ;-)

Potted up up cuttings of lav and rosemary that have been soaking for a while. Pineapple sage root, begonia leaf cuttings and seed geranium sowing will be done by end of day tomorrow..

Anyone ever start Belamcanda from seed? The plain orange variety? I have a handful of seeds from a dried arrangement and figure it's worth it to try? "Seed to Bloom" recommends stratification then warmth.

Yes, the shower head is awesome. LOL though when it got loose and I was holding on to the hose. Use your imagination.....

Extra hugs for Eden's Dad, too. What a strong guy he must be.

Will catch up later, but it IS good to see Kathy back safely and am hopeful Marie arrived the same way.

Martie

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Back again as I procrastinate doing anything that could be considered a chore. Ive cut up some organic spuds and butternut squash , gave m a little herb and olive oil bath and have them roasting in the oven That along with some asparagus spears will serve as my dinner. I figured I need at least 24 hours with no meat, cheese, or cookies. However, I continue to drink wine in spite of the horrid amounts consumed over the course of the trip to Oregon.

I have perused the Idyll posts of the last few days at a more leisurely pace, and wanted to comment on the wonderful gift that Marys lovely young lady gave to their visitor. As others have said, you must be very proud of her. It would be so worthwhile if her experience with your family gives her hope for her future.

And , even though she is a little kid, I could not help but admire Bellas lime green sock embellishment(Mary needs a pair) and the look on poor Magglios face as he faced the wrath of Spike is priceless.

Enjoyed also Cynthias Christmas light kitty, the prostrate Wrecks, Marties table display (no village this year Martie ?) and wonder how things proceed in bugs world.

And today was wedding day for the Brenda family , right ?

All for me tonight..best to all.

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    15 years ago

Jeez, Kathy, I think you're right about about the nuptials of Brenda's DD. She is going to be wiped right out after it all (but we'll have some good photographs). I hope everything went off without a hitch. I did a lot of wondering about you and DS as I watched the weather from the northern part of the "left coast" (I love that expression). It's good to know you indulged, enjoyed, and have returned safely. Bet the kitties were glad to have Mummy come home, too.

I wonder if our Mid-western contingent is getting slammed weatherwise, too?

I want to know how you guys get good pictures of your ornaments. Everytime I try they never come out very well, the flash always seems to wash everything out. I have very much enjoyed the interesting "bigga-biggas" you've posted. About the strangest one we have is a crystal Triceratops I purchased in '07 the day that Mum died, but we also have a series of realistic animals, too, including a puffed up Tom turkey. And we still don't have a proper topper for the tree, even after all these years. No star, no angel, nuttin'. Well, there are still 9 days to go, so I suppose I could address the oversight... what is atop your Christmas trees?

A lot of activity on the Compound yesterday involving the block and tackle and attempts to hoist large items to the third floor of the bahn. Between two very practical brothers (one a Ph.D in math) and Google, they were unable to get the twist out of the line they were using, arriving at the notion that perhaps they should be using braided line, not twisted. I recall asking that very question many, many months ago, knowing well how very expensive line can be (well over $100 in this case) and not wishing to purchase it twice. I kept my mouth discreetly closed and kept busy with another project (which I finished). ;)

I scraped accumulated sawdust, sheetrock dust, and other assorted mung out of the nail holes and the cracks between the Advantech subflooring in the Salon and then vacuumed it up. (Talk a about a job for an anal retentive). Next step is to begin filling the holes and cracks with some sort of caulk that will flex and be compatible with latex paints. We moved 2 pcs. of furniture (an armchair and a loveseat) up to the Salon, freeing up the area in front of my car. The two pieces are perfectly serviceable (came from a home the next town over) though they're here because the helpmeet couldn't pass them by, NOT because I wanted them. Still, they're pretty comfortable and could offer a good exercise in slipcovering that could vastly improve their asthetic. (Like I need more work).

Deanne, I love the photograph of the Loon. They're such pretty birds. They require water to actually get into the air as their legs are set quite far back on their bodies and they walk with difficulty and great awkwardness. I love the cry they make, too. I used to hear it float over the water when I was a kid and stayed at my aunt and uncle's cottage. As for photographing Eider ducks... check your e-mail. :)

I think some of your very warm air is infiltrating my neighborhood today, Marian. The helpmeet has a full day planned at work today and tomorrow, so will be taking full advantage of warm temperatures. There has even been some talk of thunderstorms when the warm front is forced out in a couple of days' time. It'll be a good opportunity to open the windows and get some nice, fresh air inside the house and the Salon. Wow, I could even wash them, if the spirit moves me... (unlikely). I'm sorry to learn of the loss of your friend, but a sroke of good fortune that you and Nolon were able to visit pleasantly with him and his wife before his death.

I've accomplished my chores and need to formulate my plan of attack for the day, which includes a trip to Orange (blech) and which I plan to get out of the way just as soon as I'm able! (I need to replace a mortar trowel and a large sponge). Then I may purchase the necessary hearth tools for the new stove. But it's time to break the fast right now... :)

• cynthia_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Two opposing startle points this morning. The first when I opened the kitchen door and it was over 60F. (I'm always surprised when the outdoor temperature climbs during the night.)The second when I opened (in email) the December heating bill.

I didn't get to Jo-Ann's Fabric yesterday after all. Took the pups out to the yard and they watched me finish up the raking of patio and steps to rear yard. I usually watch them while they run and play, so it's only fair I 'spose that they would stand in formation and watch me 'play' with wet leaves. Probably keeping an eye on me in case I was about to dig up Hope's dead bunny.

Equal time for Monty, here's the boy in camo nightie with his Christmas stuffie. Monty's stuffie's must be small and portable as he doesn't play with them, but carries them room to room like important luggage. And whoops, Dannie needs to test the squeak for him.

{{gwi:189322}}{{gwi:189323}}

Hope with Dannie's blue frog - yes, I know it's green:

{{gwi:189324}}{{gwi:189325}}

And Dannie about to take a bite out of Hope's orange gorilla:

{{gwi:189326}}{{gwi:189327}}

Welcome back Kathy! Good morning to everyone else :)

Cynthia

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Good morning. The sun is shining again today, and it looks like we will have a rather normal winter day today - how unusual! We missed the very worst of yesterday's weather; while it rained most of the day and we heard an occasional rumble of thunder, the heaviest storms were to the south of us. All of the snow except for the huge plow piles has melted but we have not had any flooding problems here. I love my wetlands!

We had our last Christmas celebration yesterday with my son and his fiance. MIL and her husband came over as well. We made venison chili for lunch, had a roaring fire and a general great time. The evening was spent quietly and it was wonderful.

Deanne, we did minimal decorating this year. We did do a tree, but I only put out a handful of my snowmen on the mantle, put the greens on the balcony and that was about it. I'm not sure why, but this year I just couldn't get into the massive decorating mode. But my MIL still thought the house looked great. This may be a new tradition here!

Cynthia, it seems to me that Monty is more camouflaged against your furnishing with his natural coloring than in his camo jammies!

Jerri, I hope your recovery is going well.

We're going to visit my brother's wife and kids today. This one will be a little bit of a difficult visit for many reasons - just a tough day, you know?

So I had better get on with it rather than procrastinating.

V.

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Chelone, the pirate ship ornament photo was retouched to minimize the flash effect. Don't ask me how to get a simple Happy Birthday Monique on a photo out of Photoshop, however...six tries, all abysmal.

I usually get at least one image from the idylls that percolates through the day while doing chores, etc. The warmly dressed greys standing at attention while Cynthia rakes will be today's.

Yesterday the tree came down, ornaments packed where I'll find them easily next year, and the kitchen cleaned up from the two-day tamale fest. My folks pronounced them a 9 on a scale of 10, which is high marks considering the problems I had getting the masa just right (hint: a small blob of it has to float in a glass of water. If it sinks, thumb's down.)

I hear you on the veggies only, Kathy. The "Gout Express" chugged into town Christmas Eve, and I had my first acquaintance with a "tur-duck-en," (looks disgusting without the hyphens) apparently a creole dish that starts with a turkey then moves through other fowl, duck, chicken, including spicy sausage of some kind. On top of this, we brought lobsters, and there was chicken cordon bleu, etc, but mercifully lots of veggies.

Holiday retail inducing the helpmeet to muse on his kinship with Shackleton's expedition brought a big smile. Just the kind of grandiose analogy often heard around here ;)

Marty's back and leg pain worsened through the dayshift yesterday to the point he went to the ER after work at 6 p.m., which was alarming enough to me, knowing how stubbornly stoic he can be, but what really ratcheted up the anxiety was not hearing a peep more until we called the ER at 10 p.m. to locate him. Which we were able to do as he was finally getting a doctor to see him. No cortisone shot, but an X-ray looked OK. And his next three workshifts will be covered by someone else, thankfully.

Nice to read gardening news, with Martie potting up rooted cuttings. My sweet peas are starting to make good size with the recent rain, and I did stop in at a nursery while running holiday errands (just veering ever so slightly and briefly off course!) and bought some Apricot Twist wallflowers for a pot outside the kitchen door.

It's been a treat reading of everyone's festivities and seeing Kenzie and Bella's enjoyment. Chloe & Misty and all other critter photos warmly appreciated. I loved seeing V's hounds pinning DH down on the deck and Rex being his silly self, paws in the air.

Deanne & Jeri, it makes complete sense not to be a slave to the holidays if the mood isn't there. The energy invested by me this year in holiday prep was pretty low by past years' standards.

PM, I bet your home-made holiday gifts were a huge success, they came out beautifully.

Marian, the African violet kaleidoscope was lovely. (And I knew you were singing hymns at that last funeral! I was just being silly. But another funeral, mercy...)

Saucy, your doe-eyed Sarah is adorable, and it's good to hear the bees are ventilated. If anyone's kids or grandkids would like our Bat Conservation International mags, speak up!

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Morning Idylls- sipping coffee and thinking about breakfast , looks like only a few Idylls are in attendance this morning. Overcast here today with a slight chance of rain, and relatively warm mid-50 temps. If I had my act together I would go out and do some yard cleanup, particularly inspection of frozen plants. I fear that my Mexican lime did not fare well in our frigid temps early in the month.

Chelone, kitties are very happy to have us back, I dont think Ted has moved more that 3 feet away from me since I got home. So, Im thinking you have enough seating now in the Salon for an afternoon theatrical ? Pehaps a trio consisting of Mary on the violin, Deanne on guitar, and Norma on mandolin.

Cynthia, I particularly like the shot of hope with a** end up , and the mental pic of Monty sporting his stuffy as a badge of honor.

All for now, time for breakfast

Kathy in Napa

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

I'm too far behind to comment on all the interesting stuff here... and my tendinitis is still complaining so I'm not typing much these days. I just popped in to say it's a VERY windy day here and this is the view looking into the neighbour to the south's backyard:
    {{gwi:189328}}

One tree uprooted itself and toppled over and a second one broke off halfway up. Both trees were on the property behind them. So far at least, nothing has come down into our yard.

Most of the snow has melted off in the warmer temperature and rain yesterday. Now it's nice and muddy out there! I preferred frozen ground/snow - at least it's cleaner!

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Hi all. It's quiet here this weekend, where is everyone? I've been off since my laptop picked up a nasty virus. It's acutally my work laptop so it had the worthless 'virus protection' they use. I was just livid. I'm using DH's laptop now since mine has to be rebuilt. GRRR@!!!!!!! I have just a tiny bias against that software. LOL

I'm happy that Christmas is over. Since I really don't have much family here I'm thinking of volunteering next year. There are several charities that serve Christmas lunch and give out childrens presents to the needy. Of course, who knows what next year will bring.

I better get busy. I'm putting an extra virus product on this computer so I can actually use it for more than 3 days. ;)

Jerri

• chelone
    15 years ago

I had to laugh at the image of elderly Monty dutifully toting his stuffie along from room to room "like important luggage". It conjures a perfect image. :)

Woody, you guys are gettin' slammed, huh? Nature's pruning makes for a lot of debris. We still have a couple of large white pine branches on Sanitary Ridge, if the warm weather holds the snow may melt more and we'll be able to get it picked up and taken care of. I hear you on the mud. :(

It was nearly 60 degrees today and even though the driveway is really wet I threw the ball for the the dog on several occasions and we went for a walkie, too.

I sealed the grout on the hearth this afternoon and made a template for the pads we're going to put under the stove's legs. I'll cut those tomorrow with the utility knife Santa Claus brought me. (I'll be very careful, Mary!). The helpmeet is going to bring home a small jack from work to make it easier to raise the stove onto the hearth (it weighs 550lbs.). I came home with a covered ash bucket and shovel but struck out with the fireplace tools. I want a poker and a small rake for the coals, I don't care about tongs or the decorative shovels since they don't work well for ashes. So I've been searching for local artisan blacksmiths... have found some very strange sites, too! lol.

Bummer about the virus, Jerri. You don't need to be stranded with no computer when you're basically bedridden. ;)

• jak1
    15 years ago

Hello all, and compliments of the season (whatever it is!).

Christmas was celebrated here on the 24th since DD pulled the 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. day shift on the 25th. People like police and fire departments can never shut down, and she had Christmas day off last year...this means she will have it off next year if she stays in the same job.
    I was going to do the turkey thing around 6 p.m. but then TCS realized that the children's choir was singing at church at 6 and he teared up when he realized that he wouldn't be going. So it's Christmas, right, and he wants to go to church - well of course. So Nana (me) got up at 5 a.m. and prepped and put the turkey in so we could eat at 3 p.m. and head off to church for 6. TCS got to be a shepherd. I had forgottent the camera, but the costumes were beautiful! They had a young adult drama student narrate the Christmas story and the kids played the roles - great because they didn't have to memorize any lines or anything. TCS and the rest of the shepherds simply had to trot around with the kids who were sheep to wherever the action was - It was so cute and beautiful! Also his choir did sing one song, thankfully one that he knew...

DD said the nicest thing: DH always sang bass in a choir and I sang alto, so we never sang the melody; DD hasn't done any choir singing so she only knows the melody: her comment: "It makes my Christmas to sing hymns in harmony with you guys on Christmas eve.".

We did the gift thing after that, and had a great evening. Suddenly about 10 p.m. TCS jumped to his feet. "Santa! I forgot about Santa! I have to get to bed RIGHT NOW! Look on the computer to see where he is now! Get the cookies! Get the milk! Get the carrots (for the reindeer) I gotta go to bed I gotta go to bed..." and he was gone.

Christmas day started early as DD had to be at work for 7, and of course, Santa had visited. But it was really nice to eat leftover turkey and relax all morning, no big deal for dinner etc., TCS had friends over for a while, everybody played with their gifts (and the Air Hockey was a real hit with both kids and adults).

DD gave TCS ski equipment for Christmas and took him to the resort where she is a ski patroller for the day on Friday to ski. He came home exhausted. DH and I did a Costco run and went out for lunch - these are luxuries that we rarely have time for....

Relaxed all day yesterday and went to an open house at a friends' place today. Slowly coming down from the peak of activity that always occurs at Christmas.

My family knows me well:: DH and TCS together provided me with a new Shark steam cleaner (on my Christmas list) and a Lotus sanitizing sytstem (also on my list). DS bought me a new robe. DD took her life in her hands, knowing my wonderful abilities with technology, and bought me a picture frame that you use to show your digital photos - I have to figure out how to put my garden pics on a memory card next week; for now, just crummy Christmas snapshots rotating through. As someone in my famuily said: "if she can clean with it, wear it or eat it she's happy!" Too true!

On a less than cheery note, DS who has dreadful addiction and mood problems, had a bit of a meltdown on Christmas eve a.m. and left all of us with some sad moments when we had some quiet time to reflect. *sigh* I could feel my blood pressure changing and my own depressing feelings flooding back, although things have abated now. Seeing the doctor next week. I am luckier than Marie: My doctor says "bring out the list" as he has known me for thirty years and knows that I make notes concerning my health issues.

I gotta keep well for TCS.

The rest of the week looks pleasant and cheerful. The weather here was very warm and windy, and our prodigous (great word, huh?) amount of snow has completely disappeared. This gave me the opportunity to clean up the dog presents left for me by Ajax in the yard....the grass was green and the sun was bright. Mother Nature's idea of a joke - I am absolutely certain that we will be snowed in again in a couple of weeks.

Well, this has been very much a "me" post - no time to read everybody's posts, and next week, a new thread! Onward and Upward! Love to you all!!

Cheers,

Julie

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Julie, we'll catch up when I return! Hugs to you!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Back to my usual routine this morning. Freshly juiced veggies for breakfast. Yum. lol Feels good to break the routine and feels good to get back to it. I think I survived the holidays. [g] We still have to take the tree down. We usually do that on New Year's Day.

Julie...you certainly have your challenges to try to accommodate and such a busy schedule. Your family is lucky to have you. Sounds like you had a little bit of everything mixed in to your holiday. I hope the good moments outweighed the not so great ones. I usually do a lot of thinking and regrouping around the new year and make written goals for myself, so I will be over to post on your New Year's thread soon.

Chelone....who is certainly not shrinking from any of the challenges of finishing the Salon. 550 pounds of stove to move...well, it's a great thing that helpmeet has a jack at work. lol .... I just asked the same question about photos of ornaments. We also do not really have a topper for our tree. Our ceiling are pretty low so there never seems to be room. Instead we have a trio of large, soft, angel ornaments that normally are reserved for around the top branches of the tree. ... Yes, that foot massage is getting used. :-) It was from Brookstone and they do a pretty good job with that sort of thing.

Jerri....I find computer issues and especially viruses one of the most irritating and time consuming problems to deal with. You have my sympathies. :-) What virus protection program are you adding?

Woody...barely any snow here. Glad that photo is not of a tree down in your yard.

Kathy...do I detect a bit of resistance to bringing plants in the house over the colder months? [g] Are you lacking windows with enough light for them? Very sorry to hear DD and Aiden didn't make it to BIL's. I would not have thought snow would be that significant a problem there in the PNW. Well...maybe you can have a 'second' Christmas next time you all get together. ...LOVE your GGBridge ornament! Very cool!

Denise...you are right on the ball, getting your house back to normal. I'm still enjoying our decorations but the house has been cleaned. Another couple of days and I will be ready for them to be put away for another year. DD just received two cookbooks for Mexican food for Christmas. A favorite of hers. A friend of hers is originally from Texas and is a Mexican food lover. He gave her some kind of mortar and pestle to make her guacamole in and it does come out very good. Last year, she was asking me to grow cilantro. ....What is going on with Marty's back and leg? Injury? Arthritis? ... Photos of sweet peas and new container? Is it really gardening weather there still Denise?... Yes, family was properly impressed with my fledgling sewing skills. :-) Your ship ornament is a keeper! Very pretty! I wonder if you have multiple ship ornaments?

Saucy your Sarah is SO pretty!! And yes...Doe eyed, Denise and yes, expressive face...Chelone.

Michelle...your holiday sounded very peaceful and full of friends and family. I know you said something I was going to comment on but I can't find it now. I will though!

Martie...glad you found some bargains out there. This is the first year I can remember having no desire to shop the sales at all. Nice to hear you are 'gardening'. My head is so far away from gardening at the moment, I'm barely taking care of the houseplants. LOVE your showerhead! And a DH that can install it too? Wonderful.

Cynthia...why is it your grays play nicely with their stuffed animals and carry them around, when DS's dog chews everything to bits? He would have the stuffing out of that gorilla in 5 minutes flat. [g] They look quite happy and content and seem to enjoy their red sweaters.

Deanne...great Duck photo...is that the Loon? I thought they were a different color?

Wonder if we will hear from Brenda today?

V....thanks for the name of that Christmas tree. I will have to look for Red Pine next year. Not sure there is a lot of that around my neck of the woods, but at least I can ask.

Marian...very sorry to hear about the death of your friend. He was young. Imagine having celebrated a 50th wedding anniversary at such a young age...he was married young! Hope you are feeling better.

Eden....loved your Christmas photos! Bella is adorable in her sweater and double socks and maryjanes. How did she like Spike? That expression on Magglio's face is priceless...lol. This is Jenni's first child, right? She looks so excited and in such good shape. Has she have a nursery she is getting ready?

Happy Belated BD to Monique! Hope it was relaxing.

Well...that is as far back as I can go...not such a bad Monday, since it will be a short week. DD is off the rest of the week and today will be day two of painting at her house. Middle DS went home with our van and we are down to one car that is not so good in the snow until we find our new car. That is on our agenda this morning. He was thrilled to have it, btw, but a flat tire had to be changed before he got on the road and no sooner did he park in his driveway, then a pizza delivery person slid into the passenger door and left a good dent and scratch. *sigh*. That's all the news that's fit to print...enjoy your last Monday of 2008!

No time for proofreading...

:-)
    pm2

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA