Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

#465 The Solstice Idyll

dodgerdudette
14 years ago

One more day and they start to get longer !

Carry on friends..

Kathy in Napa

Comments (106)

• Full_Bloom
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oops! Had to delete my photo...but didn't want to delete my Christmas wishes...so here we go again:

{{gwi:189552}}

I'll be back in a little bit to chat!

Ei

• Full_Bloom
    14 years ago

Good Morning Idylls!

So good to see all of you....

Kathy that little Mr. Baby is adorable. No matter how you joke...I know he has to be the apple of your eye. Unlike Chelone (lol...Chelone you *always* make me laugh) I *love* seeing baby pictures, the more the better. How can you look into those precious faces and not smile? I recommend at least one baby face a day to keep the spirits up! :-)

BTW Kathy love the Christmas shot...it looks like such a warm and inviting place to relax. I'd like to be sitting in that chair right now...staring at the tree and drinking some hot cocoa with marshmallows and a shot of Bailey's in it! ;-) Ahhh...do I hear Mel Torme singing "The Christmas Song" or perhaps if your in a pensive mood it may be Joni Mitchell singing "River"?

Thanks Norma...I am enjoying the porch too...The best part is it was so easy and quick to put up and will only take me minutes to take down in cold blustery January. As I'm getting older my mantra is "keep it simple". How exciting to see deer on your own property! Though I remember T and her deer/elk woes and I know they can cause havoc...your property must be pretty as a picture with the deer running through...do you get snow?

So on my own homefront not a lot of new things going on...no grandbabies yet, but son has gone back to school and wants to get an engineering degree. I'm very proud of him as I know it's not easy to go back to school, support a home and work full time. He leaves for school at 05:00 a.m. and then works from 11:00 to 08:00 p.m. I feel badly that it has to be such a challenge. You always want life to be easier for your kids than it was for you. Still he is on the fast track there and will get both his bachelor's and his masters in 3 years. What *really* tickles me is that he wants to specialize in alternative energy...and I thought he was bored silly as a teenager when I babbled on about how special nature is to me and how important it is to do our part to keep the planet beautiful. :-)

Anyway, there *is* a new baby in my life...he's a great- nephew. He's just adorable and always brings a smile to my face. When I get a chance I'll have to post a few pics.

Sis is doing well, which is the best news. She has even started Weight Watchers and working very hard. I am both proud of and very tickled for her.

I haven't worked since mom passed. But, considering how many bread winners have lost their jobs, I'm am grateful that hubby has been able to hold onto his. I feel for all those families...but I also believe that things *will* get better. They are certainly all in my prayers.

Okay, besides babies, dear Scout never fails to bring a smile to my face. :-) He is ten years old now and struggling a bit. His liver enzymes are elevated, most likely due to the Rimadyl he takes for his arthritis. But he's happy and relatively pain free and still "enjoying life". I could take him off the Rimadyl, but as I see it, better that he lives a happy relatively pain free life to the end instead of *possibly* giving him a few more years but all in pain. We are both enjoying our time together.

Well, done with the all about me post. I'll talk to you later and do intend to post more often. The problem with not coming here regularly though is that you get "lost" in what is happening with everyone and then feel badly when you've failed to mention (because you haven't been here regularly) an important event that has gone on with another's life. Wow...what a run on sentence, but I hope you know what I mean? :-)

Oh and here is a link I hope you guys will enjoy...This lady cracks me up...I love her humor and the "bungey jumping" one is my favorite, although the "mother vs. daugher" and the "grocery shopping" one are pretty cute too. I don't know why, but for some reason she reminds me of Brenda (or at least how I imagine Brenda to be). :-)

Oh, and I remember Julie too...she was a sweetheart. I think she was into collage and paper making? If I remember correctly and had given me some good advice. I hope she and her little family are all doing well.

Anyway, TTYL!

Ei

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Chelone, I cheated and used Bob's Red Mill Gluten free All Purpose Flour, instead of regular old wheat flour :) It's a mix with potato and rice flours among other things....I've only used it in recipes where there is not too much flour in ratio to other things.

Sarah's getting a ride to school this morning - she's got a tin of pizzelis to carry and thought the bus might bust them up. Each kid is to bring a food special to their family to share with everyone.

Eileen, it's nice to meet you...please come in and stay a while :)

I'm sure I'll mix you up with Ei, who I'm happy to see and can't wait to hear all that has been going on in her life.

Kathy, Mr. Baby sure does have a lot under the tree :) It's beautiful and more fabulous than I had guessed! Frame that one for Christmases to come.

I am thinking that I might take some time today to covertly wrap presents and prepare for Santa's arrival. My plans this year seem too hectic to me. I had wanted to eat Chinese on Christmas Day and then go to see Avatar. My MIL has decided to roast a beast and make us attend :) That after the feast of seven fishes the night before...and my Christmas party the Sunday after! I'm gonna be full and full of Nick's family, for sure.

I'm gonna need a vacation next week!

Sarah's bugging me, "time to go!"

Saucy

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Mr. Baby! Look at those big baby blue eyes! Oh Kathy, he's a doll. And that's just how a Christmas tree should look, with piles and piles of gifts underneath for children to wonder about. Your room looks beautiful! Hope you and your family are enjoying a wonderful Christmas in it!

Ei, it's great to hear things are going so well with you and your family. Great news about your sister's health and your son's return to school. And thanks for helping me remember what it was Julie did. That's it!

Norma, we'll need some Christmas pictures of Wyatt, you know, to round it out here.

I'm baking today. Enjoy whatever it is you're all doing to prepare for the holiday. Have a great day friends!

Eden

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

How great to see Ei! It has been a looong time. Yes, I agree, Tommy was our Scout. He was more doglike than catlike. A forum that I occasionally visit had a thread on his breed(Manx),and how doglike they are.

I am enjoying all the baby pics. They are all three lovely babies.

My memory of Rara Avis was her love of wild flowers.

It is good seeing new names here. Although I welcome all, I can't be depended on to respond to all.....

Marie, I love your pics of your son in New Hampshire.

I guess I am about the only one here that has not tried the crustless cranberry pie. I keep forgetting to even get any cranberries! If it is not on my list, I forget, and even some of what is on my list gets missed!

It is thundering not far from here. I may have to shut down soon....Real winter weather is to arrive in a few days, and last for several days, with highs in the 20s and lows in the teens. I think I am prepared....I hope so. I have ashes to spread on the way to the woodshed. That is one of the more important things....getting in the firewood.

BTW, my arm and shoulder is better.

Marian

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I'm loving the baby pictures and wouldn't even mind some photos of the older ones. Mind you, pet photos would be a FINE addition to the celebrating around here! The mantle, living room and Mr Baby are picture perfect!

Today we are packing the final items, and farming out the pet duties. I think I'll have time to be excited after that! Tomorrow, waaaay too early, we're headed out to Alberta.

(By the way, it was Vietnamese food, not Thai, that Ivy enjoyed. My mistake!)

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great to see Ei and the beautiful Scout !

Just dropping in before the guests all wake and general mayhem begins..One more grocery trip is on the agenda and today is hors d'ovres day at the Kathy house. I'll try to stop in later for a visit..

Waving to all !

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

I have just returned from a provisioning expedition. I can attest to the rising fever of festive madness out in the real world. There were a few squalling children; can't imagine how tough it must be to quiet them when all they see is, "buy, buy, buy!" and they lack the ability to be more discriminating. But, they're in fine company since too many adults are in the very same boat. ;) Beatings for all, I say.

I have 2 bags of cranberries, Marian. I was pleased to note that they freeze well and I think the crustless cranberry pie may just become a staple item around here, as it seems to have all the characteristics of a truly versatile food item, as well as the blessing of several very trusted friends. Quick and easy are the cornerstones of "staples" here... chocolate almond tapioca is another.

We seem to turn spices around pretty regularly, too. I don't have a particularly discriminating palette, though, so I probably wouldn't notice if the sage in the stuffing was vintage 1987...

I wonder what kind of cake Charlie had for his birthday?

Kathy, you've outdone yourself in the Christmas department... a truly Fabulous Mantel Display. I am duly impressed. I have to wrap some gift items now and don't really want to, if the truth be told. Maybe I'll blow it off until later or tomorrow.

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Marian, that's good news that you're arm is better! Hope you're having a good day too.

Kathy, I think I could live on appetizers. I like nibbling. And they're all full of such yummy stuff!

On the spice front, I write the date of purchase on mine and toss them if I don't use them up within a year or so. I'm also one of those people who keep my spices all in alphabetical order so I know what I've got.

Pretty relaxed day here baking and listen to Christmas music in the background. Brad, armed with my list, has gone to pick up the last of the grocery items we'll need. I do plan on making an early morning run to Whole Foods tomorrow. I too greatly dislike being out in the frenzy of last minute shoppers, Chelone.

Eden

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Oh Eden, I didn't dare admit too that I am among those who alphabetize my spices....

Rushing around here, but wanted to send some Canadiana your way. There are many versions, but this is a nice one.

Happy Holidays to ALL!
    'bug

• denisez10
    14 years ago

Let the baby photos roll! That Mr. B. is a handsome rogue, no two ways about it. I agree with Ei, Ms. Ivy already looks like she's ready to pound her fist at the U.N. What a little beauty Kate is. Love Bella's ballet shoe-clad feet. Enjoyed very much the photos of 'bug's DS in New Hampshire.

It might have dipped below 40 here last night, so we're creeping into the 30s. Who knows, we may get a freakish freeze this year like a few years back.

Ei, life is so hard. You couldn't be a 5-foot ballerina, and I couldn't be a late-in-life ballerina, starting lessons at age 21 a couple hours after work ;) Scout is so regal on your festive porch.

Kathy, that tree just needed a good knock down to sort its branches out. Gorgeous. (I hope nothing truly special was broken.) All your hard work deserves some serious celebrating.

Funny how music creeps back into the discussion at Christmas -- well, it always does when Ei drops in! Yesterday was caramel corn making day, hours and hours of it. I needed to hear something to keep me going, as each sheet bakes a full hour. Tango seemed perfect, or the neo tango, (tango electronica?) of Otros Aires. The boys took a bag of caramel corn with them last night to see Avatar -- which I did see, Saucy, opening day, movie geek that I am. Maybe you can take a movie break over the holiday. Tell your relatives movie tickets are a Christmas present to your kids. Or take them with you -- I took my mom, and she politely said, "It held my interest."

Thanks for the nice words on Marty's article. I emailed it all over the U.S. What he will do next is a very absorbing topic, to say the least!

Movie viewing last night was Summer Hours, another French film, this one with Juliette Binoche. Very absorbing for me, about dealing with possessions after a death in the family. Not took dark, just an interesting take. And the house and garden are beautiful. Garden mostly green, but old and lush. Our house was strangely emptied out, for a change, just me, Ein, and as many cats as can find a spot on me on the couch. They do get creative, with Newt going under the blanket to keep fights to a minimum. I ate fresh enchiladas and caramel corn ;)

'bug, I agree, bread-making is pure magic. Before marriage/kids I loved making bread, which my family finds hard to believe.

Thank you, Eden. Write date on spices. So simple.

The Huron Carol is so haunting, very beautiful.

Today is shopping day. Yikes!@ Looking forward to more holiday reports and photos.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Quick hello-love the Ian and Sylvia and Otros Aires links. That Huron Carol is really quite lovely. I need music playing most of the time, especially this time of year. Will be adding those you posted to my iPod if I can find them and get the process right-sort of like posting prints-don't do it often enough and need to relearn it every time-hmmm, not unlike my LD kiddoes!

Keep the pics of kids and pups/cats coming.

Uhoh, I alphabetize my spices, too, but DH can't be bothered, so we tend to work against one another on that, alas.

I'll catch up tomorrow!

Cyn

• chelone
    14 years ago

I am capable of tremendous anal retentivity, but anyone who writes the dates on spice jars has WAY too much time on their hands and should be givin' Martha Stewart a run for her money. JMO

Huron Carol and the comments made me think about a things I haven't considered since reading "The Last of the Mohicans". It was disease that enabled the Europeans to subdue the native peoples of our hemisphere.

I have never successfully made bread. Can you say, "paving bricks"?. Lol. I am particularly fond of braids and sweet breads. A friend used to bring over a cardomom bread that was out of this world. I love caraway rye and cardomom and anything not overly spiced with anise. The "not too sweet" aspect of breads attracts me. Dickin' around with yeast does not, although admittedly I have never experienced great success in tha arena.

We will be having a roast of beast here on Christmas. I am toying with the idea of a day long buffet for us. Nothing formal just a leisurely day long feed. Toss in a couple of togas and it's downright decandent. No need to feed the pets, either. Christmas for everyone!

I'd be in for chinese food but I'd skip "Avatar", Saucy. The last movie I saw was the one about Julia Child and Julie the blogger (loved it). If that seems more fun than dinner with the in-laws I think you should do whatever pleases you. And schedule something with them in the next week. Our home is open to anyone on Christmas, but we don't plan on going anywhere. Goin' nowhere fast, that's what we are!

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Greetings for the holidays - how wonderful to see /hear old new faces -- Ei and Eileen -- welcome and welcome back...

Kathy - your tree is incredibly beautiful - so laden down Im truly impressed.

Good luck, Denise, on the newly retired half n half -- sounds like you're in the spirit despite the sad first occasion of loss; those first milestones are poignantly memorable.

I seem to be suffering acute ADD - I make lists and flit and hop away from the things that really need doing - like vaccuming, cleaning... Have started the vacation until the 5th - yippee; getting into the mood w/ decorations and food planning. Survived the heaps of snow altho I still have one parking spot totally blocked -- guess I'll be scrambing for a guest spot for my guests - hopin to only get rain and not freezing stuff as they're waffling here - would like to see all the snow magically wash away, LOL, in time for guests to arrive.

Love the kiddie pics - such energy and wonder at all things they view - amazing the resemblances of relatives I see in their little faces.

I've had trouble posting and getting threads to load too here - dont know what's the deal lately - my computer or GW... very frustrating!

I confess to alphabetizing my spices - otherwise too many to find; but I dont buy new every year -- my Mom had so many exotic things she accumulated over the years in all the types of cooking she did and it never seemed to suffer - so on this one food item, I tend to hold on longer than other things.

The holiday slate here is a bit different - I decided on a Ham with a Honey/Cidar glaze and poached with Pears & Cranberries; mac & cheese for the vegetarian DD, asparagus, spinach salad w/ curry dressing, and 2 neat appetizers I've had elsewhere -- a fig/olive tapenade on goat cheese and a bacon/swiss dip that's heated -- usually go the prime rib route but decided to go a bit easier and less stressful route - LOL, we'll see about that!

Gotta go check out those links I missed in breezing thru here. Hope to check back in more routinely but I seem to be afflicted with lazi-lazi...

-Cindy

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Well you see, Chelone, I had these things called children and they're expected to show up for these Christmas-y things...even though Chinese and a movie was our original family plan. My MIL changed it about a week ago.

Someday it will be my turn to decide what we (I) do for Christmas :)

I guess I'd better go wrap some more...I'm trying to pace myself. Sarah keeps asking if I have more to wrap. She's the one who can't wait until Christmas morning this year! She's quite persistent...sugarplums in her head and all...

Saucy

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

What can I say, Chelone. I think I'm just naturally organized. I find it faster and easier to keep things straight from the get go than to have to hunt around or guess about something. I'm one of those everything in it's place kind of people. I have friends though, that are like you, and that kind of stuff drives them crazy. I can't relax in a disorganized mess, and they can't relax unless things are "comfortable" as they call it. I'd probably drive you crazy:)

I bake bread, but use the easy method from the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I have to watch myself though. Homemade bread can pack on the pounds if it's always around. Or maybe it's the butter that I feel I have to slather on.

The Huron Carol was beautiful Marie.

Cindy, your menu sounds perfect and very special. Glad to hear you have some time off to unwind.

Saucy, it's hard juggling all the family obligations at the holidays when you have kids I agree. That's why Jen and Randy decided right off to have everyone to their home at Christmas so they could stay home.

I've been baking all afternoon. Graham chewies, shortbread, raspberry bars and I also made two batches of fudge, chocolate and peanutbutter, which is my favorite. The shortbread is in the oven now and then I'll call it done. I can't believe that tomorrow's Christmas Eve already.

Eden

• chelone
    14 years ago

Eden, you would feel right at home in the Salon. I take good care of my tools. Spices are not my tools, but they are your's! when does your TV show premier, kid?? you and Bellatheball could blow Martha outta the water. ;)

Family dysfunction is a beautiful thing, Saucy. Ask me how I know! Lol. I say the sooner you take control of the holiday in question the better off you will be in the long run.

Cindy, your menus appeals to me. Yummy! I'm off until about the same time. And I have lots to get done in the interim.

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

I CAN believe it Eden! Just 7 hours and we're OFF! Phoebe is away with Sparkles the Labradoodle and the house feels empty as can be. I watered all the plants, defrosted the basement freezer, etc.
    DD is having an afternoon open house tomorrow, so it will all start as soon as we land. Christmas dinner at DSIL's sister's place and all the family drama to watch. ;) Then Skyler goes to his Mom's. On the 26th, yet another Christmas dinner at DSIL's brother's acreage. Other festivities and invitations after that. If pressed into service, I can always make no crust cranberry pie! We'll be overweight zombies by the time we return.
    Now to survive the airport nonsense.
    Can't wait for the Christmas photo thread in the New Year.
    Enjoy it all my friends, whether peaceful at home or busy, noisy and child (and pet!) centered!
    'bug

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

I skimmed along and wanted to add my favorites for Christmas Carols. Eric Tingstad- The Gift, and Kurt Bestor, can't remember the name of the CD. They are both instrumental, and peaceful. You can google and listen to them at Amazon.

kathy, love your mantle, Christmas tree and Mr. Baby! He grew up. They change quickly don't they?

Denise, I hope your husband enjoys his retirement. I liked the article. It was well written, and your husband sounds like a nice guy. Some of the things they put in print in our local paper make no sense at all, because of the way it is written and I can't believe they are paying these reporters.

Chelone, Charlie is dinosaur crazy. he had a triceratops and T Rex on his cake, baked by his mom, and decorated by his dad. I will ask them for a pic. I saw Julie and Julia and enjoyed it too. Skip and I hit the jackpot last night. The local video store was selling DVD's 3 for $5.00, and VHS 10 for $2.00. they had a lot of never used Disney movies on VHS and Charlie has a VHS DVD combo. We cleaned up on both kinds, and now I have a bunch of new chick flicks, Skip has boy stuff.

Ei! Nice to see you. Love the porch pic. Glad your sis is doing well.

I am going to bed. My knees ache, and I am in a lot of pain. I think I need new ones, but am definitely scared. I am going to give my Son in law a vermicomposter for Christmas.

Bug, here's wishing you safe travel, and much fun with the fam:)

Hi to everyone I didn't mention! I will try to post more tommorrow after knee recovery.

D.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Need about an hour to compose a sensible post. It's way past my bedtime,but here is some action from today.

Starting out on the river trail {{gwi:189553}}From Christmas 2009

Aiden views the view {{gwi:189554}}From Christmas 2009

The Napa River {{gwi:189555}}From Christmas 2009

Time for appetizers ! {{gwi:189556}}From Christmas 2009

Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    14 years ago

All my very best wishes to all my Idyll friends for a fantastic and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

{{gwi:189558}}

Deanne

• Full_Bloom
    14 years ago

Even Chelone can't hate this dog! ;-) I've added a link below.

Deanne your card is gorgeous. You have such a talent and an eye!

Marian glad to hear your shoulder is better. I hope you have a warm and peace filled holiday.

I admit I alphabetize my herbs and spices too! I didn't know there were so many of you out there...thought it was my dirty secret...lol!

Great to see you too Drema, but sorry to hear about your knees...I hope you feel better soon.

I agree Bug...I'd love to see all the babies and in my mind anyone under 21 applies. :-) I love the look on Aiden's face in pic 2...what a cutey patootey.

Well...I'm in a rush so I gotta go...but plan to enjoy Drema's & Woody's separate posts today.

TTYL!

Ei

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Did a quick check here and Ei, I completely dissolved with that video. Glad everyone's old friend is now a new friend for me!

Kathy, your pics are great as always-Aidan is a handsome boy! I love your tree and mantel. Made me realize how little I have done inside to decorate this year. Maybe tonight I will go crazy and put everything out and about.

Thanks for the card, Deanne-perfect!

Marian, glad your shoulder is better. Drema, sorry your knees aren't. I am inclined to want to smack whoever first called these the 'golden years'-wish medicine would come up with an easy fix!

'bug sounds as though it will be a lively, laugh-filled holiday for you. I am so glad.

Hope everyone is enjoying their hustle-bustle or serenity as the case may be.

Tonight's pork roast is in the pot and now it's off to Whole Foods. I love the idea of an all-day buffet, chelone. I may just go for that since it is just the three of us this year.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

I'm reading along but just can't seem to be able to get a post together - an incredible sadness has descended over our lives. There is lots of nasty business going on and because of it DD won't spend Christmas with Kenzie and even though she's here in Iowa we might not get to see her either. There are so many terrible things that have happened its almost unbelievable. Just when we think things can't get worse something happens - its almost daily. Our minds are flooded with things we've never had to deal with before. Christmas has basically been canceled because of a mega snowstorm, which is predicted as the worst in 25 years. It sounds like Rick and I will spend the next 3 or 4 days here alone.

Sorry to be such a bummer, but just thought you might wonder where I've been.

I am really enjoying all the wonderful pictures especially the little ones - hold them tight and enjoy your Christmas with them.

Michelle

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Oh Michelle, I am so sorry to hear it. I wish your daughter were with you now. Take care of yourself.

Saucy

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

This news just breaks my heart, Michelle.

Eden

• denisez10
    14 years ago

Michelle, I have been waiting for you to pop in. Some years the holidays just can't be salvaged, or are a pale version of holidays past, and I'm so sorry this may be one of those years for you, but it'll come around again. Thinking of you and your family.

Warm holiday wishes to all the idylls.

• chelone
    14 years ago

(((Michelle))). I'm sorry it can't be a real hug, but consider the sisterhood fully rallied around you. It must be terrible to watch things deteriorate and be unable to make it right for your child and your granddaughter. Particularly sage advice from Denise, too. Sometimes the holiday can't be salvaged, through no fault of our own.

Deanne, a lovely shot of a beautiful cardinal brought a smile to my face this morning.

Ei, you don't seriously think I'll weaken in my prejudice toward canids, do you?

Here're some shots from a day/so ago:
    {{gwi:189559}}
    {{gwi:189560}}
    {{gwi:189561}}
    {{gwi:189562}}
    {{gwi:189563}}

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Michelle, I'm so terribly sorry to hear of your sadness and troubles. It makes it especially difficult when these things happen over the holidays. Hugs and positive thoughts are being sent your way. I'll be thinking of you and family.

Chelone, your decorations a beautiful!!!!! Love it!

Deanne

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Love the decorations this year, Chelone. So nicely done!

Bella's here with Brad and I now. We let her open some gifts and now she's busy as she can be playing with them. I'm content to just sit and enjoy her.

Eden

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

(((Michelle))) I am so sorry to hear of your sadness and I am so very sad for Kenzie. I hope it turns out that you and Rick do get to see her after all. Our wee ones need as many people as possible to love them no matter what is going on with the adults in their lives. Life just stinks sometimes, doesn't it? I am sorry it is now for you.

Chelone, your bedecked windows and door look splendid. I am most impressed by the addition of the fruit.

I am filling my head with visions of all of you with your little ones and full, festive houses tonight (and memories of our past years like that). Sugarplums?---they're filling my belly!

Cyn

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

I hope for peace and fond memories for all my idyll friends.

Im glad you checked in, Michelle - I was worrying about you. We all feel for you and Im sorry that such troubles have descended upon your near and dear -- I hope that charity will open in certain hearts and realize that all children need as much love and family as the world allows -- Im sure Kenzie is thinking of you and her Mom no matter what. I hope you find solace with Rick and thoughts of other holidays fondly remembered. I am certain this one will pass and a bigger, better memory will take its place in the future. It still sucks in the meantime, tho.

Love your decorations as always, Chelone - yeck, you've got less snow than I do!! What's wrong with that concept, LOL?

Still got lots on my to-do list but I think at least the vacuum and dustcloth can be put away; I keep thinking I'll pull more Xmas decorations out, but seems silly when it's so close at hand.

Thinking special thoughts to all our idyllers and lurkers alike -- Merry Christmas and hopes for a peaceful, pleasant one in every way possible.

--Cindy

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Michelle, I am so sorry. I have pretty much 'been there, done that', as you know. I hope it all works out well for your DD and Kenzie.
    It is hard to miss out on so much of your grandchildren's lives.

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Michelle, I wanted to write a note and tell you how sorry I am that you are having to deal with this difficult situation, and hope it soon starts heading in a good direction for all of you. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Drema

• chelone
    14 years ago

The Crustless Cranberry pie is fabulous!

And yeah, we have 4-5" of snow and that should be pretty much gone if the warm temperatures and forecasted rain materialize.

Wrecks managed to down a box of truffles that the helpmeet did not secure adequately. We all know chocolate is toxic to dogs... we can always hope. Nothing major so far, but he's been extremely interested in dashing off to the woods whenever the door is opened. I fear it will be a long night for the boy and his dog. Lol.

We had a late lunch out today and were surprised to see Santa sitting at the end of the bar. There was a little boy in the restaurant (about Bella and Kenzie's age) and he was beside himself to see Santa in there. Bless the guy's heart, he was Santa all the way, hoisting the little guy onto his lap and speaking with him very earnestly. :)

About the simulated fruit; I stumbled on a book in the library several years ago now that was all about Christmas decorations in the Colonial Williamsburg tradition. I was instantly besotted. And have been buying "falsies" ever since. I really, really want to add some antlers to the mix... it's that pagan blood in me, I think.

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

Chelone, I love your home decorations! Hope Wrecks is okay.

Saucy, my son saw Avatar the other day, and he liked the 4D effects. Hadn't heard wht he thought of the plot.

Deanne, that is a fine Cardinal. Tonght I saw a Robin in my back yard. I guess I didn't know that they hung around up here in the snow?

Tommorrow I will be thinking of all of you!

D.

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Michelle, nothing I could say will ease your distress, but know that I am thinking of you and your family especially Kenzie. From one mother to another I know how it can hurt.
    Stay strong.

Deanne thanks for the wonderful card and wishes.

Chelone, Your decked out house is just right. I hope Rex is better by morning. We used to have a bassethound that loved chocolate and would snatch a cake right off the counter and always ate chocolate at easter. That was before I knew it was dangerous for dogs. She never had any problems from it.

Dreama great score on the DVDs and VHS tapes.

We have been having rain instead of snow. Cold weather coming in tonight but probably not much snow. Our christmas won't be until tomorrow eve.

I've missed many of you but am wishing you all Merry Christmas and good cheer.

Norma

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

(((Michelle)))

Thinking of you, and Kenzie.

Kathy in Napa

• Full_Bloom
    14 years ago

I meant to get back here earlier today and then things got hectic...

Michelle, I'm so sorry to read what you are going through. I can hear the distress in your voice and it makes me hurt for you. Not diminishing the pain, fear and hurt I imagine you are going through right now, but things will get better. I know that they will because you are a strong, positive, upbeat woman with a levelhead. I have faith that you will figure out whatever you can to make the best of the situation. Hang in there and know that we are all sending our good thoughts and prayers your way. And *you* are *never* a bummer...

Glad to meet you to Cindy and all the new people I look forward to getting to know.

And Chelone...your decorations are *awesome*. Everything is so perfectly placed...I can see the seamstress (sorry "seamstress" doesn't even seem to be a good enough word for what you do) in you.

Ei

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Merry Christmas, friends. It came quite early this year: 5:02 a.m. to be exact. That after a late night of wrapping for me :)

I'm headed back to bed for a bit but wanted to say Merry Christmas to you all.

Saucy

• chelone
    14 years ago

I've been up since about 5. Both stoves are fed, the wood boxes are restocked, the dog has been out (none the worse for wear for his chocolate bender), the catbox mined, and 2 cups of coffee consumed, and the tree is "on". The helpmeet has just wandered out of the boudoir.

I'm certain there a lot of excited youngsters in Idyll land. My fondest wishes for my virtual friends on this holiday, esp. those with heavy hearts.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Merry Christmas to you all!

((Michelle))

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Merry, merry Christmas my friends.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Misty is an enthusiastic present-opener - but a messy one! Christmas morning aftermath:
    {{gwi:189564}}

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

MERRY CHRISTMAS IDYLLS!

My first post on our new computer - Yay!! We had a lovely day here with Mum and hope Christmas brought joy to all your houses.

I've not had a chance to catch up but I did read this might be a sad one for Michelle. Hugs to you (((Michelle)))

The family await my presence for our second round of turkey and trimmings and Floating Islands for dessert made with this morning's eggs. I'll be back tomorrow.

Mary

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

I have much to read on this idyll, but I'll jump in here before we march on to #466. First of all, Michelle, I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope that things improve in the future. This weather has just added a layer of complexity to things that we all could have done without. Hugs to you, Rick, your daughter and Kenzie.

I finally got some photos taken of the decorations and the tree. Our internet connection has been poky the last day or so; I'm wondering if the ice storm that we had late on the 23rd has something to do with it. But here goes!

Here's the Great Insane Christmas tree with decorations.

{{gwi:189566}}

I pulled out all of my mom's old Shiny Brite ornaments that date back to the 50's.

{{gwi:189567}}

Meanwhile, over on the hall table there was a gathering of Santas.

{{gwi:189568}}

They were beat hands down by the snow men on the mantle.

{{gwi:189569}}

Last but not least, I have my mom's favorite Nativity set that I think she got in 1962 or 63. She added the lights a year or two later, and they still work!

{{gwi:189570}}

The weather has been the fly in the ointment here. Nothing disastrous, but just enough of a factor to make things more complicated. We woke up on Christmas Eve to find that our river birch had split in two in rather dramatic fashion. It looked like a giant had come by with an axe had cleaved it in half. Then there were a series of frantic phone calls as the 78 and 80 year old in laws were supposed to deliver meals on wheels that day. We figured folks who were getting the meals were not likely to be out early clearing the sidewalks, so there was a last-minute substitution of DH and his sister. All went well, but we had to scramble a bit to get everything else done in time.

Chelone, have I ever told you that I love your falsies?

I'm going to try and read all that I missed. I hope all my idyll friends are safe and warm and enjoying some time with those they love.

Merry Christmas!

V.

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

It's really hard to follow up on the adoration for Chelone's falsies, V..., LOL... Your decorations are totally in sync w/ your abode and I love the old decorations!!

Im going Whew... it's all over and Im tucked into my nightie - we had a small but lovely gathering but I confess I must be out of habit of making holiday dinners (altho I've done in the last several years) - I did a lot of talking to myself (out loud) for the merriment of guests but it seemed to go well. We've been blessed with nasty rain - but considering the other possibilities, Im quite happy with that - I hope Michelle is not getting pounding -- no one else needs to achieve 25 yr old record breaking... (havent checked the weather reports)

Merry Christmas and I hope for peace and ease for all my idyll friends.

Cindy

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts. You all are so great! I did talk to Kenzie yesterday and will get to see her when the weather lets up. The snowplow hasn't been past in 3 days. We are still hoping to have our Christmas gathering tonight with Rick's kids but we'll have to see. If the plow doesn't come by he plans to blow snow all the way to the highway. I'm doubtful as there is an 80% chance of more snow for today. Tomorrow looks promising. So I hope to go to Walmart and buy more gifts for Kenzie before we pick her up. Since SIL didn't tell anyone that he was going to bring Kenzie to IA, I had sent all her gifts to FL.

The crustless cranberry pie and real whip cream was our dessert yesterday. I also made it earlier with the blueberries and it was fabulous too.

Chelone, the decorations are wonderful and suit your house so well.

V, the insane tree made me smile. Your nativity looks like the same figures that I have from my grandma. My mom has them too. She bought her's one at a time at the dime store. I have a few that say 29 cents on the bottom.

What fun it must be to watch Misty unwrap presents.

Kathy, Mr. Baby is just as cute as can be. I'm sure you have a fabulous Christmas with him around. Christmas is just so much fun through the eyes of a child.

Eden, love all the Bella and Kate pictures both here and FB. I also enjoyed Brad's song.

So lovely to have Ei stop in for the holidays. I love the way you decorated your porch and Scout sitting in the middle is perfect.

Deanne, gorgeous card - the picture is fabulous and the border perfect.

Our electricity has blinked on and off for the last 2 days so computer time is brief. My computer is old and takes so long to come back on. I did get a little time to print 3 8 x 10 garden pictures yesterday that I intend to frame and hang above my sofa.

I had the local news on in the background and just heard a report from Jeremy's girlfriend about the weather where they are. She was calling in reporting. I guess I don't need to call and ask him when his GF is a reporter. She mentioned that they spent part of the day yesterday helping people who were stuck.

Well, I guess I'd better get the house in order in case things do happen today. The food is all last minute stuff so I will wait to see what the weather does.

Michelle

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Oh, yippee, Michelle-your own little Christmas miracle. I am so happy for you!

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

No time for anything, haven't even skimmed here very well. Too much eating, loads of family, etc. The gifts with Skyler...just crazy!More about that another time.

Michelle, warm hugs to you. I just want to add that it really and truly does get better at some point! Let me be the first to wish your family a most happy new year!

I think I am being subjected to Future Shop boxing day sales as a new (Oh honestly!) TV set is what DSIL desperately needs. ;)

Ivy is...what can I say? PERFECT.

Lovely Deanne....beautiful card!
    Chelone, your fruitiness, magnificent decors! Indy dog somehow swallowed a whole box of chocolates and their foil wrappers last week it seems. No damage.
    Drema, Phoebe sympathizes with your knee issues. Do have them checked out!
    Marian, glad your shoulder has improved. We are supposed to make a Christmas puzzle today, so will be thinking of you for sure.
    V, lovely lovely warm interior decorating!
    To Woody, Mary, Cindy, Candy, Cyn, Kathy, Denise....EVERYONE, enjoy it ALL!
    'bug