Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just_t

Idyll 247: Have you tried the newest craze?

just_t
18 years ago

Sudoku.......

Yep, that is the name of the puzzle craze.

We've joined the ranks of those enjoying working on and mastering these number puzzles.

They are great for exercising the brain cells and just plain fun.

Try typing in any search engine the words: free Sudoku puzzles and you should come up with a number of sites. The come in 'easy', 'medium', 'hard' and 'very hard'. On some sites the 'very hard' ones are labeled 'evil'.

I'm not into crossword puzzles or games....but these are just easy enough to be fun and challenging enough to be addicting. I hope if you check it out, that you'll enjoy them.

T.

Comments (103)

• martieinct
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good morning! Happy Anniversary Eden! Any couple that can produce heirs like Bella have got to be good!

Christmas here was at once uproarious and peaceful. Lots of congrats for BIL getting engaged to long-time girlfriend, my parents celebrating the 50th anniversary of their engagement, soft lights while the last Advent candle was lit, little-boy happiness when Ky found the traditional stuffed animal in his stocking along with enough fav-clothes-store gift cards to completely replace his junky wardrobe.

And the food -- a 15# prime rib roast on the grill with simple sides but a killer Bouche de Noel dessert (forgive the ugly French, please). Fruitcake to die for (Really!) and frozen Maple Mousse and shortbread that would clog an elephant artery.

Decorations galore (camera got lost in the flood) and crackers and Everyone Smiling at One Time!!!! A blessed several days.

So love the pics of the girls, Taryn. My nieces each got a sequined yellow or lime-green or hot pink jogging outfit (what you can find in the bargain bins at the Salvation Army Store!!!) and they howled and found pics of when they were little holding up equally atrocious clothes and their "certificates" for a shopping expedition with Auntie.

My parents gift of dinner for a week was applauded and promised as a tradition from here on out.

All in all, it was what the Season is all about and I'm so grateful .....

Am still catching up with the posts but am loving the funny stories and links along the way. Have three days off from work without major activity and plan to get current, and finalize all plans for the Logees NE Gardening trip.

Good to be "back."

Martie

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

TGIF!

Last one of 2005!

• vegangirl
    18 years ago

Wendy, Cute story about the nephews in the pastries:-)
    V, and the shocked ex-boyfrined!

Marian, I'm sure that whatever that plant is and however big it is, that is is beautiful LOL!! I meant to chech out the happy news link too but forgot. I will though. I hadn't watched the news lately and didn't know about the OK and TX fires until you mentioned it. That is so scary. I hope they soon get them under control. Gorgeous lilies!!!

Woody, thanks for sharing the dog bios. So interesting. There are not too many things that make me as angry as animal abuse. We've had two dogs that apparently had been previously mistreated. Wags was a beautiful small collie-like dog but a rich chestnut brown all over. She must have had some corgi in her but she was more delicatly shaped. I found her at a dump and brought her home. We had her for 14 years. She was terrified of men with beards and glasses, and DH has both! It took her several months to warm up to him and I don't think she ever really trusted him the same as she did me. For example, she learned to jump into my arms and let me catch her in such a way that she would be lying on her back. she would never jump for him. My Dad had a beard but no glasses and she instantly fell in love with him:-) If any man with both came, she would hide until they left. Peaches was the other dog. DD1's FIL found her and we took her in because he had several dogs already. We only had her about 4 years and she disappeared without a trace. We put ads on the radio, at all the local vets, etc but never found her. I hate that because there is no closure. Glad no garden beds are being disturbed!!

Michelle, yes I do have talents but not artistic ones:-) DH's whole family are very artistic, creative, and unorganized:-)

Eden Happy Anniversary!!! Poor Brad working all those hours, but triple time is not bad:-)

Sue, have fun with the auditors:-) And best of luck with the dog rescue. That type of work must be quite a mixture of sadness at the conditions and happiness at finding good homes.

Yeona, we're having a family dinner on New Years. DD and SIL are coming today for the weekend. We always look forward to having them here.

V, have a fun and safe trip to Chicago!

Martie, it sounds like you really enjoyed your Christmas! It is always good when everybody is happy at the same time and no hurt feelings, etc. Big get-togethers with lots of family are always a little stressful for me for that reason:-)That's too bad about your camera though:-( The "dinner for a week" is a great idea! Will you be cooking the dinners or taking them out? Glad you're back too!! Oh! a trip to Logees? I'm envious lol! I'll be looking forward to hearing all about it in great detail:-)

It's cool and gray here today. The sun is supposed to come out later though. I have a bit of cleaning and cooking to do for the weekend so must get at it. I wish everyone a very Happy New Year. I hope to see all the missing folks here soon!
    VG

• babzclare
    18 years ago

It's been pretty busy around here at home so I really haven't had time to do more than lurk. I guess I'm not the only one being very busy.

I had to say Taryn I loved the pics of the girls-they have such a fun auntie: ) I can see the joy in their eyes over their new frilly frocks.

Wendy I'm sitting here nodding my head over the little ones getting(diving) into the frosting-lol. We had a similar thing going on because the adults are so busy yakking that the kids know just when to strike the dessert table lol.
    Thanks for your support on the science project woes-it still has me fuming,but we've been doing just a little bit each day so it's not overwhelming. We still have to study for the longitude/latitude quiz he has on the first day back(double grr-and yes, it's the same teacher!)

Ep I've been thinking about the fires a bit too since my sister lives in TX-tho I gather the fires aren't as south as she is. I hear there's concern about people deciding to blow off fireworks to bring in the new year-it's potentially an additional deadly fire hazard. I hope all goes well in both states.

On the flip side I can't believe the mild weather we're having. I know it only means the eventual weather will be that much more vengeful. It's never an easy winter ride here-just when you think it's going to be a warm/dry winter we get whammied.

Marian-pretty lilies. I hope the ones I planted this fall actually come up and the deer don't eat them. Yours have such large blooms!

Hi Yeona! I'm happy the two of you are going out for the new year-we used to do that before the kids(have fun for me; ) Our evening will be quiet and probably involve some champagne-I would have brie too but I'm trying not to eat high fat stuff so we'll see.

I'm a little melancholy because our favorite privately owned subshop is closing. It's been entirely run by the owner's family and we've loved their food ever since we've moved here. It's not the food I'll even miss-it's the woman who we've gotten to know there-she has cancer and the treatment has made her bones too weak so the doc said she has to slow down-she really does look fragile. I'm afraid of what this change means for her-I think it was her driving force but her body just can't handle it. I do hope the new year brings her improved health-who knows maybe a miracle too.

psst-Sue-good luck planting those fart machines(you crack me up!)
    Wishing you an easy rescue!

V I was thinking of you last night about sleepovers-I bet the teen ones are easy since they fend for themselves? DId the girls sleep at all? I had my niece(9) and nephew(7) over last night and it went well-which means I wasn't up all night worrying whether our guests were afraid of the dark or of sleeping in a different place. When AJ's friends sleep over I'm always hoping they are comfortable so I don't sleep well.

MArtie that prime rib sounds wonderful! as well as your celebration of the holiday-very fun filled. Good for BIL and his GF: )

One present I LOVE is my new Shark chargeable mini sweeper-it's SO easy to clean up crumbs/stuff under my dining table and get the pine needles at the back door....who knew sweeping could be fun!lol(yes I am cracked)

I've been thinking of MAry and the new adventure her sister's family is having-I wish them the best and lots of happiness in their new home.

Chris got a new ironman watch for Xmas....the problem now is that he keeps timing us on everything we do! Since he's a stats guy I'm waiting to see our stats posted on the fridge too.

Well, I did check my gardens to see if the deer ravaged them terribely. Yep. They did. They ripped whole iris rhizomes out of the ground-grrrrr. Now that it's so warm out there I decided to apply repellant. Hopefully that will also keep the pesky wabbits away-they keep sawing down various young shrubs. Can I ever win? lol.

~Babs

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

{{gwi:189628}}
    Happy Anniversary Eden & Brad!

Ei

Some Anniversary Thoughts:

Let me not to the marriage of true minds

Admit impediments. Love is not love

Which alters when it alteration finds,

Or bends with the remover to remove:

O no! it is an ever-fixed mark

That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

It is the star to every wandering bark,

Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.

Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks

Within his bending sickle's compass come:

Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,

But bears it out even to the edge of doom.

If this be error and upon me proved,

I never writ, nor no man ever loved...

William Shakespeare

To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.
    - Lao Tzu -

Two such as you with such a master speed cannot be parted nor be swept away from one another once you are agreed that life is only life forevermore together wing to wing and oar to oar.
    - Robert Frost -

Love is like playing the piano. First you must learn to play by the rules, then you must forget the rules and play from your heart.
    - Unknown -

My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me.
    - Winston Churchill -

And finally....

To keep your marriage brimming, with love in the wedding cup, whenever you're wrong, admit it; whenever you're right, shut up.
    - Ogden Nash - :-) :-) :-)

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

Morning all,

Happy Anniversary Eden and Brad.

Babs, I have tons of rabbits this year and many shrubs have been "rabbit pruned" I think that since our dog needs to be tied up these days makes the difference.

Marian, I rarely get around to fertilizing indoors or outdoors, so I dont think that is the problem.

Eden, creme brulee french toast sounds delicious.

Sue, our bookkeeper here was just complaining about the upcoming audit season this a.m. I'm dealing with an unpleasant data request today.

Yeona, your New Years Eve plans sound fun. We will have Kenzie at our house. Laura and Mike are going up to Minneapolis for a Minnesota Vikings game on New Years day.

Martie, your Christmas food is making me hungry :o)

It rained last evening and then snowed a little during the night. The road was a little slippery this a.m. Ok if you took your time and drove sensibly. There was 1 car being towed and a semi jackknifed on the way.

Michelle

• just_t
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good morning!

Happy Anniversary (belated) to Eden & her dear hubby!

Babs' ornament card was lovely.

Michelle, we're spending NYE babysitting our grandson so that his parents can go out to dinner & a movie with some friends. I'm pretty quick to say 'yes' when asked if we want to have him for the day or overnight. We enjoy him a lot.

Sue's TGIF was a colorful one. I enjoyed seeing it....always enjoy it for some reason. I never have figured out why I look forward to seeing them....guess it doesn't matter. :o)

V, hope you & your spouse have an enjoyable weekend.

Ei, I liked your anniversary post. Some of those quotes were pretty great.

I've not seen anything about the fires on the news. I will have to go looking online for some maps of the areas that are involved.

DH is home today (another vacation day being used up) so I need to get off of the computer. I've continued with the organizing of the attic and am pleased with how it is going. Still plenty to do and many days still needed to go through things, reminisce and to decide what stays, what goes and how I can best consolidate things so they are readily found if I ever want to put my hands on them 'now'. It has been enjoyable to reminisce and to see the progress I'm making.

I'd better go........hello to all!
    T.

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

Happy Anniversary to Laura and Brad!!!!

Glad you liked the other pix. I, too, love the puffy white xmas kitty. And I'm thrilled with my red wall. Here are a couple more pix of xmas decor I forgot to post:

{{gwi:189630}}

{{gwi:189631}}

And on the ledge to the basement:

{{gwi:189632}}

I'm with Michelle. I haven't had a chance to enjoy my xmas decorations so I'm not taking them down yet. Besides, I'm still weeding out stuff in the basement for the spring garage sale and can use the extra room to work in. And I want to organize xmas stuff differently. But HORRAY -- our outside lights are taken down, defrosted, labelled, bundled and ready for storage.

And just in time, too. We're under a snow advisory.

In the cleaning dept., I donated all the older-but-still-good canned goods in the pantry upstairs and "disaster emergency" supply in the basement. I'll refresh them as well as an emergency water supply over the next couple weeks. Before baking, I went thru my spices and pitched the old.

Now for the Great, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

GREAT NEWS! Our good friend and former business partner won a quarter mil. in the Mega lotto! We are absolutely thrilled for him! He's had such adversity these last few yrs. it's just wonderful to know it went to someone so nice and deserving.

There's more... I'm going wireless! DH got me a laptop for xmas. The geek squad was here to set it up. I just need to get used to using it! Also, our good friends and neighbors gave me the most fabu wire planter. It's about 3' in diameter and you can hang it from a tree. It'll be fun being creative with it this Spring.

The good news is that we had a wonderful xmas gathering at our house and was enjoyed by all. Also we really enjoyed our friends' visit and the gathering with other mutual friends.

The bad news is that my friend with cancer had surgery yesterday. I'm waiting until tomorrow (to give them some space as requested) to find out how she's doing. Thanks one and all for your support and for keeping her in your prayers.

the Ugly is DS's typical acting up over the holidays. She's always in a tussle with someone. Evidentally she and by DB got into it and are not talking. Next, she phoned while our company was here and demanded to know the name of Mom's lawyer. Good thing I have a terrible memory. I wasn't lying when I said I couldn't remember. I didn't say I could look it up! I suggested she ask Mom (LOL).

I've been reading up but don't have time to comment now except to say how great it was to see Jain's house. Hmmmmm, just how did she take all those wonderful pix w/o one critter in them?

V, have a great time NY Eve in Chicago. We're going to spend ours at a friends' home. Tomorrow, it will take me most of the day to make the decadent dessert the hostess asked for made. It has the most calories and colesterol of any dessert I've ever seen. But it's yummy.

Have a safe and Happy New Year, dear Idylls!

• Mary_NY6
    18 years ago

Dear Idylls

I hate to post this, but friends here are always so generous in offering words of kindness and wisdom. I understand with holidays and company anyone who wishes to skip the note below and not comment at this time.

Yesterday was a day of terrible sadness. I was just getting ready to leave for the airport in Washington when I recieved a phone call telling me one of my closest and dearest friends and her two daughters (14 and 11) were killed in a fatal car accident in California. Susan was one of the lovliest people I know, full of kindness, generosity and honesty. She lost her husband 5 years ago when he dropped dead during a tennis game. It is incomprehensible that another tradegy should claim the rest of the family. Both our families were close, Annie had been best friends with her 11 year old daughter since 1st Grade and has taken the loss very hard. Last night Annie was too angry to talk or let any of us comfort or hug her.

Both of Susan's daughters were hard working, smart, gifted on the cello, good at tennis and just the kindest girls you could meet. Whenever I think of them I see them both smiling. The world is a poorer place for all they would have offered as adults.

Susan was the first person I would call with good or bad news, always understanding and practical. She had the greatest integrity, always remaining true to her values and never betraying a confidence, and a warmth that made everyone welcome. We celebrated our birthdays together, had dessert gatherings on Friday evenings, went to the market early Saturday mornings, cooked up big family meals and shared much of our children's upbringing. With my DH constantly travelling and her DH gone, we would often go together to school events, parties and even classes. There is a huge, aching hole in my life right now and I'm struggling to make sense of any of it.

Mary

• taryn
    18 years ago

Oh Mary I'm so terribly, terribly sorry for your family's loss....Wish I had some words of wisdom to offer. All I can offer is prayers and cyberhugs to you all...

Taryn

• just_t
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mary, I'm so very sorry.

T.

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

Mary , I am so very sorry . I pray that you will be comforted . Hugs to you and to Annie .

Marian

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Mary, My heart goes out to you and to Annie and the rest of your family. This has been such a challenging year for your whole family. May you somehow find the strength to cope with this horrible loss. I am so very very sorry. Cynthia

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

(((Mary))) my heart aches for you and your family. My deepest sympathies for your loss.

Michelle

• Monique z6a CT
    18 years ago

Mary, I'm so sorry about your friend and her family.

Monique

• Woody_Canada
    18 years ago

((Mary)) and ((Annie))

• Full_Bloom
    18 years ago

*Dear* Mary...I've been sitting here for the last hour trying to think of what I can say to you and finally realized there is nothing I can say, nothing will make it right...make you feel better...comfort you, except to say how sorry I am. I can't imagine the pain you are feeling right now, doubly so because I know Annie's pain makes your heart all the heavier. Susan and her children sound like very special people, very special friends. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers and some how, some way, I hope you will all find some comforting...Ei

• flowerluvr
    18 years ago

((Mary and Annie)) I'm so very sorry.
    Brenda

• Lily316
    18 years ago

Mary..my heart aches for you. What a horrific, incomprehensible thing to happen to wonderful people. ..Sylvia

• yeonasky
    18 years ago

(((((Mary and family))))). I'm so very sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to all of you, and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Yeona

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Mary I'm so sad to hear your news. This has been such a challenging year for you. I don't know what else to say except that you and Annie will be in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so sorry.

• wendy2
    18 years ago

Mary, I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Annie.

-Wendy

• Mary_NY6
    18 years ago

Thank you everyone for your kind words - it means so much at a time like this.

Please don't let me stop the conversation - I'd love to hear what anyone else is doing for New Years. We have music lessons this morning and might see a movie later. We're picking up the threads of our lives again. I'm thinking of making Hoppin John to bring us luck in 2006!

Best wishes

Mary

• Jerri_OKC
    18 years ago

Mary, I'm so very sorry. (((Mary)))

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

Oh, Mary, My heart just aches for you and Annie over this horrific loss. I hope the love and hugs being sent your way give you and Annie some comfort.

Honey

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Mary I am so sorry for your loss. Such a horrible tragedy. At least the whole family is together now. Hugs to you and Annie.

I just came in from planting. Most of our snow has melted here and with more coming tonight I figured I'd better take adavantage and pop a few things in the ground. I think they have a better chance outside planted than in pots in my garage. Even in the cold zones gardening just never seems to end-at least for me. If I didn't have other things to do, I could probably stay out there all day.

We're going to a party tonight with some friends. It's appetizers only so we plan to have a light meal of my homemade split pea soup before heading over. I'd like to bring something but am at a loss. I was looking at Taryn's spinich balls on the recipe thread but hate to show up with a dish that needs oven time. Hopefully I'll be able to find a suitable option with a little google action.

Last night we tried a new restaurant (for us anyway) for dinner that is getting rave reviews from all the local magazines and other assorted food critics. Fish is the specialty and the food was excellent but the price was higher than what I think is reasonable for a nice meal out. Of course the joint was packed and I guess reservations can be hard to come by so the cost isn't keeping people away. At any rate, I always like to go somewhere different.

OK, my lunch is ready. If I don't get back here, Happy New Year to all of you!

Sue

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

There's a 9 year old greyhound in Rhode Island who's taking a ride down the coast to Richmond Virginia today. 10 hours if the traffic is light. 6 drivers on the GUR (Greyhound Underground Railroad.) Her owner died in December and she was returned to the kennel. Her progress is being tracked like Santa's ride, but with camera phones, and website updates. Here she is leaving the kennel last night on her way to her new home:

{{gwi:189633}}

See the graying muzzle? Monty's face is almost white with age, so she reminds me of him. It's a nice story to watch on New Year's Eve :-) She'll be in her new home by 6PM tonight.

I stayed up too late last night thinking constantly of Mary's friends. It reminds me of the importance of making the time to be with friends whenever I can. And I like this quote by Joan Kipling which is on my user page here: "Live as if you are going to die tomorrow, garden as if you are going to live forever."

My vacation is almost over and I'm not sure I've used it very well. There are a few closets that are cleaner, the plant room in cellar is cleaned (no small chore!) and ready for seeds. I discovered yesterday that the "waffley" shelf liner material I use is washable(!). I threw some soiled pieces in the washing machine and they came out sparkley clean :) So the area under one of the kitchen sinks is clean and organized again. I should do the same on the other side of the kitchen.

I hope all idyllers have a wonderful and safe New Year's Eve, and that the year 2006 (a very nice number in my opinion) is a happy and healthy one. Cynthia

• wendy2
    18 years ago

I learned a new trick today - how to burn a music CD. I feel so hip! We got a new computer for Christmas, and it does an awful lot that I haven't taken the time to learn yet. It even hooks up to the cable TV so it can be used like Tivo.

This time of year is when I usually try to clean and organize. I say try because I just found photo albums that I bought last year with good intentions, and they are still in the plastic wrap, photos still in boxes (sorted by year at least). My kids are getting old enough to be honest about toys and other stuff they don't play with or use anymore (they used to want to hold onto everything - I'd have to hide stuff in the basement for months before getting rid of it, because if they saw it they'd want it back). I hope to go through the toy boxes and cabinets soon and put some stuff aside for the Salvation Army and pitch the rest. I have a hard time throwing out stuffed animals and dolls though; they were like people to me when I was a kid. I can remember that when our favorites stuffed animals got really raggedy we had to "Put them out for Santa to give them a new coat" - took me years to get over that when I figured out the truth.

Sue, my favorite appetizer to bring along is a cold spinach dip in a bread bowl. No oven time needed!

Have to run, DS has his "twin terror" friends over, they are in the kitchen fixing a snack involving the microwave and possibly the stove.

-Wendy

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

Rant! Just after putting the puff pastry for my dessert for tonite in the oven I saw eggs sitting on the counter. Yikes! I forgot to put them in. So I pulled out the baking sheet, added them, reassembled, etc., and baked. Well, it didn't rise as it should have and then I inadvertently put it near a draft to cool so it fell! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! So I sent DH out for more ingredients and just remade the pastry. I'm usually not this inept in the kitchen but today seems to be an exception.

For New Year's Eve, we used to go to the St. Clair Inn in St. Clair, MI -- a favorite destination in the summer on our boat, too. It's a quaint town on the river about 1-1/2 hrs. away. We'd go a day or two early to shop the boutiques in town and use their wonderful pool and hot tub while watching the freighter traffic on the river. The ships are so close you feel you can reach out and touch them! Their food was wonderful, music and dancing great and we just loved it.

Well, as time went on the city drove out the popular little boutiques when they raised the taxes and the hotel started cutting corners. The food went downhill, the service was awful and high-school bands were far superior than what was offered in the NYE package which was very expensive. So instead, 4-5 couples now take turns hosting NYE each year. Often, those that live the farthest spend the nite at the host home and the festivities continue on New Year's Day. We look forward to it every yr.

Well, the timer went off. Let's hope I didn't mess the pastry up again! If it comes out OK, I'll post a photo and the recipe on the other thread. It's a gorgeous presentation and yummy, but oh, my, the calories!

If I don't get a chance to get back here, have a safe and wonderful celebration, everyone!

• Monique z6a CT
    18 years ago

Alright Sue, what is the name of the restaurant? Those of us within driving distance need names :o) BTW, we watched a DVD yesterday (Finding Neverland) and in the outtakes section the producers claimed to have used a fart machine to keep the kids laughing during an awkward dinner sequence they had to film. Then, they proceeded to show it-which was hilarious-the kids kept laughing and Kate Winslet started to crack up also.

Since we didnt go out for my bday on Monday, we went for lunch to Union League Café in New Haven yesterday for French food. Ooh la la. It was fantastic-hubby had cauliflower veloute (with pureed mushrooms)-it had a nice earthy taste, then scallops sautéed in some sort of light truffle sauce alongside homemade pasta. I had steak frites (steak with béarnaise sauce, pomme frites, green beans and a watercress salade). We couldnt resist dessert, so I only ate half of my meal-had chestnut crepes along with chestnut ice cream and hubby had warm apple tart. Instead of wine, I started off with a Pastis, an anisette drink popular in Provence that I had over in St. Tropez a couple years ago. Weve been meaning to go to this restaurant for a while but they are not open for lunch on the w/ends, which is our usual time. So, since we both had Friday off, we decided to finally go. Also, it was just voted (by CT magazine readers) Best overall restaurant and Best french restaurant in CT along with awards for New Haven County for most romantic and best service. It was worth it! Nice restroom also-always a perk. No hole in the floor like in France :o)

We finally hooked up our DVD player, so weve been watching movies like crazy, esp since only reruns have been on TV the last couple of weeks. Any recommendations-I like light hearted usually but will watch an occasional drama?

Where is Deanne?

Wendy and Cynthia, I usually try to organize this time of year also. I cleaned up all my papers downstairs-they usually go into 2 piles: dogs or gardening. The pantry really needs a good cleanout also. We did the bonus/storage room over the garage a few weeks ago on a warmer day since it isnt heated or cooled.

Honey, cute decorations! Great news about your good friend winning the lottery!

Babs, so sorry about the sub shop owner-hope she improves soon.

T-Im spending way too much time on that puzzle. It is only my 2nd one and its driving me crazy. Are there many tricks to solving these types of puzzles? I keep thinking there should be mathematical methods applied. I put the puzzle into excel and am working on it there. Ive listed all possible numbers in each cell and eliminated all numbers that would not work in them. Now it just seems like you have to just guess and go for it. Ive tried that twice and cant solve it yet. Guess it will just take some time but I seem to work on it late at night instead of sleeping. Do I have a problem :o)?

Our frat friends from college used to have a NY Eve party every year but stopped doing that about 4 years ago b/c other families had kids that didnt enjoy it. Hopefully, once the kids are older, we can reinstitute the party. Since then, we stay in for the night, but usually make a special meal. Tonight is Chicken cooked with Champagne, from the "French women dont get fat" book. The author is the CEO of the US office of Veuve Clicquot Champagne and the recipe calls for her champagne. We bought the somewhat expensive bottle for the chicken and the remaining volume will be for us to drink. Were having brown & wild rice, salad, and sautéed mushrooms alongside the chicken, then a poached pear recipe from her cookbook also. Hubbys making me a Pomegranite Martini in a little while. He wants me to at least brush my hair for the meal-esp since Xmas day I was in my sweats all day and didnt brush my hair or put my contacts in.

The Tournament of Roses parade is NOT on NYs Day this year-it is happening on Monday instead. Some rule about not having the parade on Sunday. Ill miss our tradition of getting up to watch the gorgeous floral displays (on HGTV, where they actually talk about all the flowers and seeds) the day after the festivities.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Just have time to drop in for a quick minute. First off, thanks so much for the anniversary wishes and cards. I loved them all. Ei the anniversary quotes were great!

Sounds like everyone has plans for a fun evening tonite. We're just spending a quiet night at home since Bella's here until around 11.

I have to brag on my dd Jennifer. She bought a new car a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday a delivery man came to her door with a package. When she opened it she found a $500 gift card to Target which was an purchase incentive she wasn't aware of. She called all excited to tell me about it and I said that would last her awhile on all the stuff she's always buying there. She said no that she was going to use it to buy Megan a video camera. Megan's been wanting one to take video of Bella but hasn't had the money to buy one. So Jen and Brad went out today and got Megan a camera. Megan's working right now but will be really surprised to get it later tonight. I thought that was a sweet thing for Jen to do for her sister.

Monique, I liked Sideways and we watched Christmas With The Kranks a few days ago. That one was funny.

OK gotta go tend to Bella. Happy New Year everyone and stay safe tonight.

Eden

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Monique, the restaurant was called Acqua located in Vernon. See the link below. Do you know I've never been to New Haven except to catch the train to NYC? Everybody I work with raves about the pizza places there and I wouldn't even know how to find them.

I was wondering where Deanne was also. And Marie too. Maybe they're celebrating the New Year together.

For my appetizer party I took the easy way out and made deviled eggs. It was the first time I've made them so I'm not sure how they'll be. If I don't care for them I'll have to get my mother's recipe but there was no time for that tonight.

Time for my shower. Happy New Year everyone!

Sue

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

We started working on our upstairs bathroom today. We installed the new faucet, but in the process realized that the trap needed replacing. So we will need to get a new one of those. We also removed some decorative trim from the vanity for a cleaner look. It will be repainted white and new hardware added. Things slowed down when McKenzie arrived. She is napping right now, but I wonder if I should wake her, else she may party past midnight.
    Some years we go out for NYE and some not. No invites this year, so well stay in.

Eden, that is so incredibly sweet of your dd to purchase a video camera for her sis.

Cynthia, I like the quote.

If I dont get back Happy New Year to all.

Michelle

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

Honey , welcome to the club ! I opened a box of instant chicken stuffing and heated it up to go with our noon meal a couple of days ago . I told Nolon "This is the flattest tasting dressing I ever ate . " Then I decided to check the box that I had thrown in the trash . Lo and behold , there was the herb seasoning packet still in the box ! I dumped my dish full back in the bowl , added the flavorings , and reheated it ! Nolon went ahead and ate what was on his plate . He said it was okay ...lol .

I'm glad to hear that the Parades won't be until Monday . I would have missed a bunch of it otherwise , and I always look forward to seeing it (them ).

RE: "everyone " having plans for tonight .... not us . Nolon will go to bed at his usual 7PM , and I will stay up until 9 or 10 . Years ago , in Idaho , we gathered with friends to sing the New Year in . I think that may have been one of the times we had fondue . ( Does anyone have that anymore ? ) Drinks were coffee and soft drinks . I don't think I could stay awake that long anymore .

Eden , what a lovely thing for Jennifer to do . I wish you could get a pic of Megan when she sees the gift .

We spent a little time outside working today . First I did some cutting down of blackgum sprouts . Then Nolon cut the top out of the blackhaw that died , in the 'island'. I dragged off most of the debris . I got too tired , so some is waiting for another time . I had him leave all of it that is above the trellis that a clematis is growing on . I have the trellis tied to one of the small limbs .
    The weather was ideal .

Wendy , congrats on the new computer ! What fun !

From all the neighborhood noises I think there are a lot of new guns , chain saws , and 3-4 wheelers !

Marian

• just_t
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have a sleeping little boy in my arms. He's very tired but I'm concerned he'll sleep too long and then he'll be energetic when I'm ready for bed. He's playing with my hair and ears as I type so he must not be asleep. Grandchildren are great.

Monique, I've not gotten any further on that hard Sudoku puzzle. Jim says it is the most difficult one he and his work partner have come across. I'm putting a link below for to a tutorial site for solving difficult Sudoku puzzles. Hopefully that will help you. I found some of the tutorials just as hard as this puzzle. ;o) I think the last tutorial talks about coming across some puzzles that you have to guess on.

I'd better see if I can entice this little guy to awaken. Perhaps with the idea of going out to feed the goats and horse. Yep! He's awake and raring to go out and feed the critters.

I wish the Idylls every happiness in the upcoming year.

T.

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Eden, that's the kind of kindness that warms a mother's heart. You must be so ...proud or awed. Don't know what applies there. Anyway it makes me teary. I'm glad you shared that.

Honey, I would have given up and bought ice cream! But the results look spectacular, I definitely would eat that. Yumm.
    Eden, I like the looks of your french toast recipe too and making it ahead and refrigerating it makes it more likely that I'll actually try it some day. I wisely have copies of all of the recipes going to my email account.

Somewhere between RI and Pennsylvania, Miss Blue was outfitted for the cold. When she got to the Delaware bridge she looked like this:
    {{gwi:189634}}

There were complaints by her chauffeurs that she had, umm, an odor problem. So a volunteer from my group showed up for her driving shift with a bag of tricks and cleaned her ears (one is infected), clipped her curly toenails and brushed her teeth. She is now home in Virginia.

I know it's not world hunger, but I love the kindness that is shown to these animals. Imagine if you died and your dog or cat had to go to a kennel in their old age.

I hope the new year is one that overflows with kindness to strangers.

• Monique z6a CT
    18 years ago

Marian, we still eat fondue, I am ½ Swiss after all! I have 2 or 3 fondue pots, most inherited from my mom. We buy the cheese mix b/c my mom recommended it. They usually use the same ingredients she would have used-Emmental and Gruyere cheeses, along with garlic and Kirsch. Yum. We only have it 1-2x per year though.

Eden, I forgot to wish you a happy belated anniversary. Thanks for the tip on the movie. We watched The Notebook tonight and I was a bawling mess and couldnt breathe thru my nose for a while. So much for looking good for dinner, instead my eyes are all puffy and my nose is red. I cry easily, that is why I usually rent light-hearted movies. When I was growing up, The way we were was perfect for a good long cry. BTW, that was such a nice thing that your daughter did for her sis-you must be proud you raised her so well.

Sue, oh my god-youve never been to New Haven. Well, we dont go too often but the pizza is good-Pepes and Sallys. However, they arent my favorites-altho I do enjoy the white clam pizza (no cheese, just clams, oil, and lotsa garlic). Sometimes the crust is so thin that the pizza tastes burnt-to me at least. The lines are usually very long, so you must go offpeak.

Anyway, back to my hubby who is working on dinner right now-hes a great guy! BTW, the pomegranite martini was smashing (I told him to make it weak for me b/c we still had to drink all that Champagne). I opened the bottle for the chicken a few minutes ago and I have to say that it is pretty good. Might have to buy a bottle again next year :O)

Happy New Year again!
    Monique

• Woody_Canada
    18 years ago

Happy New Year to all - good gardening in 2006!

• Lily316
    18 years ago

New years was quiet here...just a spinach and artichoke pizza on whole wheat at a very cool trendy restaurant just opened a few blocks away..very messy but good. The pizza not the restaurant.
    Monique..What's the secret of pomegranate martini's? I am very into pomegranates suddenly since I finally got the trick of getting the seeds out. They do stain your hands tho. I have many dried ones all around the house in decorations but never ate them till last year. I made a delicious salad for Xmas dinner w/ baby spinach, toasted walnuts,sliced Granny smiths, dried cranberries, snap peas, pomegranate seeds and juice, feta cheese, and more I can't remember. Very tasty.
    DD took my over sized turtle and sweater back to TJ's and gave me another gift today..like Xmas all over. She got me a pinkish coral turtle and a brown zippered top w/ tiny strips of leather on the sides of the zipper. Since we think alike , I like them and they fit. We all played Apples to Apples...a silly but fun game. I gave GS a lot of art things for Xmas and he was drawing. DD is an excellent artist..had a scholorship which she didn't use, so now we're thinking of art lessons for her kid. Bob, the bearded dragon, was very cosy on my sweater and suddenly jumped to my shoulder and then leaped to their 12 foot high Xmas frazier fir tree. Now how does a bearded dragon born in captivity know he likes trees? He never leaps on anything else. He was cute in the tree>>like an ornament. I passed down my love of animals to the GK's.

Marion..Nolon goes to bed at 7??. Tell him, we never have dinner before 7:30 or 8!!
    The New Year usually brings on reorganization..hence all the containers for sale in the stores. Tomorrow Xmas goes and I am sick of it by now. Since I broke a few antique balls this year and can't blame the cats, I got some ball boxes..Salvation Army..here I come in a few weeks after I get done my closets..
    Cynthia..Ms Blue looks a tad stressed, poor dear. Many times there are ads in our paper about free cat or dog..owner passed away. I'm thinking of setting up an account for my cats so they will be taken care of. My kids each have 2 cats and doubt if they would want more, and they work and cats aren't used to being left alone....Hope she gets a nice home for her remaining years...Happy New year to all...Sylvia

• yeonasky
    18 years ago

Happy 2006 everyone. I hope you all had fun heralding in the New Year in your own ways. The Commodore New Years dance and dinner was wonderful. People of all ages were dancing and enjoying themselves with no problems. I had a small sip of champagne and hope I don't pay for it. I'd forgotten that people sprayed champagne though, at the stroke of the New Year. I smelled like I'd drunk a gallon of the stuff. All in all I'd do this again sometime. Definitely not every year though. I'm such a homebody.

Love seeing Miss Blue. I hope she's truly happy in her new home, and so glad your group handles her transfer to a new home with such style. A pleasure to here about this.

What a wonderful sister to thoughtfully help Megan out. No wonder you're proud of Jennifer. Added bonus is more pics, for mom gmom and us, hint, hint.

Many people believe that 8, which 2006 adds up to when adding the 2 and the 6 is a very good number for business. I hope it is so, though we try very hard to strive for a balance in our lives here, between family, business and taking care of ourselves. It's not easy, but Richea and I remind each other of it often. May your New Year have just the right balance.

I've missed many of you, but know that I think of all of you often. Deanne, GB, EP, I hope you and others who haven't checked in lately are just busy. You are missed, and we enjoy your company so much. Please say hi, at least.

It's late, I'm tired, so good night sweet Idyllers, till it be tomorrow. Technically it'll be today but you know what I mean.

Yeona

• Woody_Canada
    18 years ago

It was pretty much a green holiday season here - Dec 30:
    {{gwi:189635}}
    but it snowed yesterday so DH is doing the dog walking by himself; I have to do just indoor exercises on days like this. The dogs like to supervise:
    {{gwi:189637}}
    (We use patio furniture cushions as exercise mats! And Chelsea likes to use them as a bed so there are always a few lying around :-)

• Mary_NY6
    18 years ago

Dear Idylls

Happy New Year to everyone! May it be filled with health, happiness, kindness, family and friends.

Here is my little gardening corner.

{{gwi:189638}}

I've been doing Soduku since the spring when they first became popular in England. Mum and I are addicted! They are perfect to do while waiting during music lessons or Karate classes. I also love Cheese Fondue though haven't had one in ages. I had a violin job years ago playing quartets in a Fondue restaurant. At the end of the evening we were treated to a big pot - very yummy.

Mary

• Woody_Canada
    18 years ago

Mary - that book in your picture is under our tree too (along with a few other gardening books.... I highly recommend Second Nature as a good read.)

• Mary_NY6
    18 years ago

Woody - I LOVE Michael Pollan!

Mary

• taryn
    18 years ago

Happy New Years Idylls!
    {{gwi:189639}}

Bum shot courtesty of Terry, neighbor's buddy who graced our home last night. We had much fun listening to guitar/mandolin jam, and singing along with both them and Kareoke machine. Too much food and vino, and toasted midnight with Bottego Spumonti. Today I'm still in my nighty, had Mimosas and cheese omelette earlier and am on my 3rd movie. The last day of excess...

Wishing all a healthy, happy, prosperous 2006!

Taryn

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Let the new year keep on slinging this fine weather in my direction! 46F here. I spent some time picking up sticks today and ended up getting my clippers out to do some cleanup that was left over from fall. The dogs were out and after an hour I thought I heard a cat crying. Sure enough, Saul had snuck out when I had invited the dogs to come into the yard. He was sitting in front of the kitchen door screaming at it to open. He is NOT a vocal cat so that was a quite a performance for him! Fortunately (?) he is too big to slide between the fence rails, so he was safe until I found him.

There are green leaves pumping out on some of the real hardy perennials and shrubs and the variegated Leucothoe under the magnolia are looking gorgeous! 5 of them that I put in two years ago. I should limb up the magnolia a little so that I can see them in other seasons. They'd still get plenty of shade in the corner they're in. I have the scent of bee balm and agastache on me. Funny how the scents stay even after the plants are dormant.

Cute crowd you have their Woody! The black boy looks very happy with his 'vacation pack.' I looked up the book that both you and Mary have, and it was described as 'too much like a text book' by one reviewer. Sounds great to me. I'd rather have the details than think of questions not answered. Mary your gardening corner is lovely! I really want to smell those lilies! Your whole house must smell of them :)

Taryn looks like a fun party! Monique, how did the chicken come out? Is it a recipe worth sharing?

I cleaned out under the south side kitchen sink today, and the pan closet too. Are pan closets ever big enough???? Put some hooks in for colander and anything else I could hang. Then started on the drawers in the downstairs bathroom, and underneath that sink. For someone who doesn't where make-up 90% of the time, I sure had a lot of lipsticks. Mostly bought when the color/brand that I use wasn't available, and once home found to be too dry or the wrong color. I took that wastebasket outside immediately before the dogs discovered them and painted the place.

I'm hungry!

Hi to all ~ Cynthia

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

Happy new year to one and all!

{{gwi:189640}}

• Lara Noles
    18 years ago

Good Morning, It's a rainy, gray day here today, but better rain than snow. The temps are mild too, around 40F. Hope everyone had a good New Years Day. Brad ended up not having to work so we just hung out all day. I made breakfast and then we went to Borders for awhile. I got the Michael Pollan book Woody mentioned, Second Nature, and the first of the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency books. Picked up the latest Horticulture too. Then lunch at an Italian place, lasagna and a glass of wine for me, then a dvd last night, The Upside of Anger, with Kevin Cosner and Joan Allen. Not a bad movie. We were asleep by 10. It was a nice day to start out the new year with.

Megan loved her new video camera. I bet Bella thinks she's a movie star by now, lol. Jennifer is always doing thoughtful and generous things for others. Another nice thing she did when Bella was born was open a college investment account for her that she contributes to every month.

I wish I was able to work in the garden during warmer winter days like Cynthia, Sue and Marian. We have this heavy clay soil here that you don't want to work with when it's too wet.

Woody I loved the pics of the gang, both with you and with dh. Looks like you have alot of help exercising there!

Monique, I don't like anything scary, or too violent in a movie. My all time favorites: Love Story, The Way We Were, An Officer And A Gentleman, Notting Hill...I guess I like romantic movies best.

Taryn, your parties always look like everyone's having so much fun.

Mary, what a nice indoor flower garden. I looked up your book too and sounds like an interesting read. I have a Borders gift card for $100 I got for Christmas and a 30% off coupon that's good starting Thursday the 4th. Yesterday I found, for $125, Conifers: The Illustrated Encyclopedia (2 Volumes)which I've been wanting, but only one set so I hope it's still there Thursday when I go back. I couldn't see buying it yesterday when I can save $37 on Thursday.

Yeona, glad to hear you had fun at your New Years Eve bash. Also glad to know that 2006 will be a good year!

Cynthia, I love hearing about your rescue group and Sue's too. It makes me feel so good to know there are people out there who care about finding homes for these animals. I hope Miss Blue made it to her destination safely.

Marian, lol on the flat tasting dressing. I could see myself doing that easily too.

Michelle and T, how did you do ringing in the New Year with those grandbabies?

Well time to go get started on something around here, haven't figured out what yet. Have a good day.

Eden

• honey_mi
    18 years ago

Good Morning Idylls! Yeah, Im wireless (but still getting used to this laptop).

The party NYE was really fun. The food was outta this world and the dessert was a hit. It was everyones last splurge before the start of dieting. We decided not to spend the nite and I was the designated driver this yr so only had 2 glasses of wine. These are special friends and funny as heck. We were sad to hear theyre going to move to TN in the next yr or so but vow to continue to host a NYE party and were all invited.

Despite what I said, I think Im ready to put xmas decorations away. Inspired by Cynthia, Wendy, V, Monique and Michelle, yesterday, I spent 5 hrs. in the basement going thru old stuff, reorganizing and labeling Today Ill pick up a couple on-sale storage containers and pitch the limp old, cardboard boxes. I set the DVR so I wont miss any of the Rose Parade. Gosh, I love that DVR.

Monique, I have two huge piles of paperwork, too gardening and misc. Ill be weeding thru that in the next couple weeks.

Wendy, one of my winter projects is to organize photos, too my own and helping DD with hers. Seems to be no end of projects here to tackle.

OK, catch up. T, I like word puzzles. I just cant get my head into this craze.

Woody, I loved the pix of your DH and furry friends! Great to have a peak into your world.

Eden, Bella is a real cutie! And all that hair! My grandniece just had her first bday and is a peanut by comparison. Shes healthy, but very, very petite (fathers side of the family are all small). Shes seriously entertaining and knows she has everyones attention b/c shes so adorable. Your scrapbook project sounds real interesting. Please make sure you show us your contribution when youre finished. Oh, and how proud you must be of your DD. What a loving thing to do for her sister. You have great kids and theyre all so supportive of each other.

Taryn, I loved the pix you shared. You have such a lovely family and everyone looks so happy to be together. And a bum shot! You are so baaaaad, girl!

T, your grandson is sooooo cute. Its great you get to spend so much time with him.

Im sharing Marians concern about Jerri and the wildfires in her area. Hope she checks in soon.

Marian, I understand about the stuffing. Somehow, that day my mind wasnt in geat!

I heard from Jain and she said she lost a rose garden to a mudslide, but is grateful for the minor loss in view of the misery in the valley.

Cynthia, I can understand how you get caught up with the GH rescue. The pix you posted of Miss Blue do remind me of Monty. I hope shes adopted to a loving home soon.

Wendy, the story of your nephews and the desserts cracked me up! You guys must have been hysterical with laughter.

Martie, I loved that gift of dinner for a week! Thats so creative. I have such trouble getting my Mom something and usually supplement her gifts with gift certificates to her fav restaurants. She loves them. She and her BF and neighbor catch the lunch or senior specials every week.

Mary, good luck to your DS in her new home. How great of you to drive out with her and help with the move. Its been quite a harrowing year for your family and I hope the New Year is full of fun, happy times.

Babs, how awful the deer ravaged your gardens! I usually have to find and replant the rhizomes in the back of my garden. They take a taste and usually spit them out 100 yards away. Grrrrr.

Sue, EP and Marian, Im amazed and so jealous you can get out and garden this time of yr. Altho it has been unseasonably warm, its just too darned damp and chilly for me to indulge. After the xmas décor is put away, Im going to dive into plant catalogs. Cant wait!

Yeona, Barb, great to hear from you, too. Oh and a special thanks to EP for the recipes on the other thread. In fact, thanks to one and all. Im going to copy them to my recipe folder.

Sylvia, great idea to make provisions for our pets should something happen to us. Im sure my DD would take Bullet in, but its good to have a plan in place.

Marie, the creek is just beautiful! Our show has melted with all this mild (damp) weather. Were in for a cold snap soon. Hope we get some snow to insulate the plants.

Eden, my fav movie is "Somewhere in Time" with Jane Seymour and Chris Reeves filmed at our own Grand Hotel up north. I cry every time.

Well, where the heck is Deanne? Deanne, were missing you. Hope all is OK.

Well, the sales are calling. Have to shower and get this program rolling. Enjoy the extra day off, everyone!

• drema_dianne
    18 years ago

Hi everyone. I have been MIA this week, and just saw the message about Mary's friend. I am so so sorry to hear about that. Very tragic. I am sorry for Annie too, and my heart goes out to you.

Drema