Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
triple_creek

Idyll # 345 Happy Holidaze

triple_creek
16 years ago

Eden, what a great shot of Bud and Bella. Thats right up there with the twins in the tent. Bud probably doesn't mind at all. I imagine Bella weighs next to nothing. Does she read outloud to him? The other day when I was at the library there was a little guy sitting on the floor with a book and reading outloud in his own way by visualizing. It was so cute.

((((Cindy))), welcome back, and enjoy your holiday with DD, and some quite time.

Chelone the window treatments are very fitting. Love the new boots and overall pictures of the compound.

Bug , in case I miss your departure, have a great trip and give Reed hugs from all his pseudo (sp?) grandmas and aunties here.

How many puppies?

Comments (101)

• dodgerdudette
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Happy Christmas Eve Idylls ! Just a brief scan and a quick drop in to say hi. I reached my destination quite easily yesterday, that Sacramento airport is so painless. We wizzed through security , flight departed on time , arrived on time, and it is of course raining.This is after all the PNW !

Mary, where is the gingerbread lady with the lime green undies?

Best wishes to all and I'll try to check in later ..

Kathy, not in Napa

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

For Kathy
    {{gwi:189914}}

Mary

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Kathy, that one cracked me up. And Mary, good job!

Morgan and grandpa is such a sweet thing. And loved all the happy girls around the fireplace.

I'm buzzing around here trying to make good use of a day off. Pulled in the mail (it's seed catalogue time) and opened a few cards with personal notes which are always so nice to read. Slit open one from Katie's generalist vet expecting printed greeting and instead found a personal note to "Cynthia, Monty, Katie and Dannie, I hope 2008 brings you health and happiness and fewer Dr vists :) Hope you all have a great holiday together and a happy new year!" And she enclosed a business card for $50 off on a dental. I had already scheduled Monty for a dental next week and we had discussed how she would do it because he's got those other medical 'things' going on. It is just the sweetest thing, and I spent nuttin there compared to the neuro vet :)

I'm hungry now, so that's an excuse to stop cleaning for a bit. I do have Salvation Army coming with a truck on Friday January 5th and will be lightening up the attic and getting rid of some furniture and 'stuff' that should have left years ago.

Happy Xmas Eve day! Cynthia

• chelone
    16 years ago

LOL (I'm sitting here, all alone, cracking up)

All gift items are wrapped. I only copped out and used gift bags for 2 items; socks and a a pair of lined jeans. Time to hang the pet food lids on the tree and fiure out an artful presentation for Rex's pig ears.

Grospapa's tall clock now has the soundbox in place and I'm waiting for it to strike one o'clock. Its chime is that of Big Ben, Mary. IT WORKS, but I think there needs to be some "fine tuning" as the hammers strike the rods too vigorously and there is "reverb.".

Time to begin the "decluttering" so the vacuum can be shoved around more easily.

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Good one Mary! That's one of the cutest Christmas cookies I've seen.

Deanne, what a bummer about the ice damming. Sounds like you and Doug have it under control now though and aren't letting it get you down.

Kathy, good to know you made it to your destination and your able to check in with us from there. We have a great smaller airport in Flint called Bishop that's so much easier to fly from than Metro. Last time David flew it was a breeze to drop him off and pick him up. So different than Detroit.

We just got back from an eggnog run. We have a dairy about 1/2 an hour from here that makes the best eggnog. I only have a few more recipes to get through this afternoon. The stuffed mushrooms I'm putting together call for 1/3 cup of white wine. So that leaves enough for me for later too!

I'm getting excited to see Bella open gifts tomorrow! Can't wait!

Eden

• denisez10
    16 years ago

From Butterscotch to Bach, in whatever doses you can handle...

• chelone
    16 years ago

Deanne, my sympathies with the ice damming. We have had issues with the gutters on the house for a couple of years running, now. Wouldn't you know it? the one on the front of the house leaks directly over the front entry... lol. We will have the seamless gutter guys replace them when we have the house stained and trim repainted next spring/summer. Great that you managed to beat the rain, though!

A few weeks ago I began to notice the telltale little "grains" that kitties shed in their favorite beds when they have a tapeworm. I suspect it's Spencer that has been dispensing them, but with 3 that go outdoors who can be sure? Anyway, I ordered up "Drontal for 4" and dispensed it to everyone a few days ago (to their chagrin). Time to get out the Kirby and suck those suckers up! "Free Rice", Maine style. hehehe.

I love Egg Nog, Eden (I like mine with rum or whiskey). Mmmm! And that reminds me that too-sweet Penuche is GROSS, Cynthia. Do any of you make Christmas Pudding... the real stuff with suet, booze, and the stuff we aren't supposed to eat and haHd sauce on top? I haven't had it in years, but in Mum's home (yikes, MY home) is the tin mould that belonged to my great-grandmother and that's one tradition that could entice me back to the kitchen for some COOKING.

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Earlier today when I viewed Mary's gingerbread people I thought about one with lime green undies and now here it appears.

I've been working on burning DVD's, although I've had a burner on my computer for 4 years I didn't ever take time to learn. Today's was a collection of photos from our 2006 vacations. Even Rick sat down and watched those from IU3.

Eden, we are opening gifts with my family tonight. I talked to Kenzie on the phone and asked her if she had been good and if Grandma should bring her some presents. You can imagine what her answer was.

Morgan is a "chunk of butter" unlike her big brother. He'd better watch out she will catch up with him.

Denise, welcome to the "V dub Club" I drive a Passat.

We are leaving soon so I must get going and make sure I have everything organized.

Merry Christmas Eve All

Michelle

• galium
    16 years ago
  • triple_creek
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:189916}}

Greetings all, No time to chat but love all the visuals, including the ones only talked about. Does that make sense? LOL I've been a scatterbrain all day. Norma

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

We picked up my Mom today and just had a very filling Christmas Eve dinner of tortellini with thyme cream sauce and grilled scallops. We're still too full to eat the ginger/spiced creme brulee for dessert. The plan is to watch 'Love Actually' on DVD and have dessert during the movie.

{{gwi:189917}}

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

A fun, joyous, peaceful Christmas to all --

{{gwi:189918}}

--Cindy

• saucydog
    16 years ago

Home from Christmas Eve dinner....linguine with lobster sauce, and baked stuffed lobster. Nick's Grandma is a hero :)

The lime green panty-clad ginger woman cracked me right up....she's the first thing I saw when I tried to scroll into place!

I'm beat but I still have wrapping to do....I've had a tough time this year....usually I'm done weeks ahead. Anyway, I think the kids might've fallen asleep while I caught up to you!

I hope Santa brings me more energy and some free time for Idyll :)

Saucy (who loves your display, Cindy!)

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

{{gwi:189919}}

• deanneart
    16 years ago

{{gwi:189920}}

• chelone
    16 years ago

C'mom! can we get up now? Santa's been here!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

The heck with all this PC Happy Holidays busines...it's Christmas. If you don't celebrate it then this greeting isn't meant for you.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I'm off to my brother's for brunch then on to Deanne's for a day and overnight of frivolity.

Hope everybody enjoys!

Sue

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

I'm up (I think). Merry Christmas from me too. Hope your day is filled with wonder and joy!

Eden

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Santa has been here too and presents joyously opened. Annie was over the moon with her new sheepskin boots and David with his electric guitar and amp (yikes!!). I'm about to cook some ham and eggs for breakfast, round up the troups for a Christmas walk and then head to a friend's house at 4PM for dinner and games.

Have a wonderful day!

Mary

• chelone
    16 years ago

All celeratory "loot" opened and enjoyed. (Can't wait to beginning reading!

Cat nip bombs for all.

Pig ears and a lamb bone.

Time to clean the Salon.

And a fond wish to Marian for a lovely, peaceful day. :)

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

Merry Christmas! Sorry Sue, my card says 'Happy Holidays' since I have friends and coworkers of different faiths and beliefs. I'll say MC on the actual day and to those I know celebrate Christmas.

I'm taking a break from peeling potatoes for the upcoming meal to check my email and the Idylls while hubby and mom are out for a walk with Oliver. Turns out that 'Love Actually' was a bit too risque for my mom last night so I'm glad she fell asleep so we could switch to 'Its a Wonderful Life' on TV instead LOL. We've seen LA before, but forgot some of the scenes.

I think I've gained 5 lbs this holiday season :o( I should be out for the walk.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

{{gwi:189921}}

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Peace on Earth! There is nothing like a day when almost everything shuts down. The best gift for me is not to be traveling. It's lovely out today and I'd be happy to stay home completely, but going out to visit with friends at 2PM.

The dogs have played off and on with their 'screaming monkeys' and I've nibbled on penuche and opened some, but not all, of the gifts that came in the mail. Hoping for a fire tonight and will call folks as I open their packages :)

The secret to penuche that doesn't hurt your brain is to omit the Karo syrup. I found my grandmother's recipe and made it. Of course it didn't taste quite as good as hers, but I think that has something to do with being young and quietly sneaking the cover off of the candy bowl while everyone is out of the room.

I hope you are all enjoy the day off from work and are having fun with your families and friends.

I found a use for the birds which used to go on the tree :)

{{gwi:189922}}

And yes, the act of putting all those birdies up started me on the mission of cleaning all chandeliers and ceiling fans in the house.

• denisez10
    16 years ago

I'll add Happy Boxing Day! (the 26th) to further diversify holiday greetings, and also in honor of the Haws watering can I received. The Haws is genius, with the rose truly replicating the fall of rain water. I may record the sound as a sleep tonic. But I actually sleep like a bear, so nevermind.

For those with teenagers, I found out this week that the nice bunch of boys living at the end of the block the past few months are none other than The Cold War Kids Wonder if they need any 50 yo hangers-on. Youth is wasted on the young, I say.

Cynthia, love the chandelier, it' postively Dali-esque, except I bet Dali wouldn't bother to clean it.

Oh, Michelle, we are long-standing members of the V-dub club, but this is the first one we've had in years less than 30 years old! No more Little Miss Sunshine vignettes. We were able to drive my folks to the Christmas Eve celebrations instead of taking separate cars -- proper number of seats and seat belts and easy access for their old bones. A great present to the whole family.

I've been trying to explain Deanne's ice dam scenario to other So. Californians, without much success. Lots of glazed noncomprehension.

Can you imagine an idyll pet reunion? Oscar & Emma look like they'd be in charge, lol.

Warm holiday wishes to all.

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Sincerest apologies to Oliver. Emma is probably snickering over that one...

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Merry Christmas from Rahjii the Christmas Cat!
    {{gwi:189923}}

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

What festive Christmas pictures we have today. I hope you all celebrated and enjoyed the day in whatever way pleases you. It was a lovely warmish day today with everything covered in hoar frost this a.m. It made a nice Christmas scene.

We had an enjoyable evening last night with my whole family minus my son. Hes trying to appease his current girlfriend and its a long story. It was a little bittersweet celebrating in a house other than our family home. Kenzie had a ball. At that age they have so much fun with the unwrapping whether its their gift or someone elses. She liked her doll stroller a lot, but with such a house full it was hard to maneuver. Christmas dinner was at my parents today.

Cynthia, I really like the birds on the chandelier. I enjoy glimpses of your lovely home, the type of house I would pick if I had a chance, but when you live on a farm, you take what you get and most farm homes are more functional than architectural. Rick got a new alarm clock for Christmas and some how that lead to vacuuming under the bed.

Cindy, your bouquet is lovely, as is your wall color.

Deanne, the gold bow looks so fitting for his majesty. LOL Did you get the ribbon at Sams, I think I have some of the same. How do you attract the cardinals? I know they are around, I just havent seen them here. They are so pretty with the snow.

Heres a few of our Christmas 2007 memories:

What could be in here?
    {{gwi:189926}}

{{gwi:189928}}

I hope the link works.

Michelle

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

I figured I'd get the link wrong, I'll try again.

• wendy2
    16 years ago

Good morning - here's hoping everyone had a great Christmas. We had a good time, the Christmas mess is even mostly picked up already!

Mary, loving the lime-green undie gingerbread woman!

Hi Monique! What lovely doggies! My DH did all the cooking yesterday - a yummy roast beast (yeah, we watched the Grinch a couple of times - I think I enjoy it more than the kids do!) He even peeled a mountain of potatoes! All I did was set the table and make the gravy.

Deanne, so sorry to hear about your ice dams - good thing you were able to catch it right away and take care of it! We had them a few years ago, a window in my son's room leaked badly - we didn't find the leak until the floor was soaked. My brother came over and knocked the ice off the roof with a hammer. We kept checking that spot last week, and no drips - yeah! Rahjii looks wonderful, so color-coordinated as always.

Cynthia, I like the birdie chandelier. Good to hear that Katie is doing so well.

Michelle, I'm at work with no speakers on my computer - I'll have to listen to Kenzie later at home. I'm sure she's adorable!

Chelone, I did see your wake-up message yesterday, I was on the computer at 7:30 installing the software for DS's lego robot. He has been playing with it practically non-stop since yesterday.

Well, duty calls (yeah, I'm at work today - but only for a half-day) the phone started ringing at promptly 9am.

-Wendy

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good morning and Happy Boxing Day.... Also

{{gwi:189930}}

I'll be back later Sue and I are enjoying coffee and conversation. We'll be joining Chelone, Wendy and Saucy for lunch today so another great day in store for me.

Have a terrific day everyone!
    Deanne

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday, Monique!!

{{gwi:189932}}

Roses and Angels just seem to suit you :-)

Martie

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

{{gwi:189934}}

• ctlavluvr
    16 years ago

The Second Day of Christmas and only 10 more to go!! LOL If we celebrated each the way we did yesterday we'd all be sleeping until April. What a great day with amazing food and family, and a few emotions thrown in for good measure, most of the remembrance kind.

Was sitting around and Ky brought up a box -- "What's in here?" I'd completely forgotten, but threw this together and from now on think I'll throw things together at the last minute.

{{gwi:189936}}

Kenzie is too cute! How she was able to remember the words in the midst of all the magic is beyond me ...

I need to work for just a few hours this morning, but from home, and then plan to sleep in heavenly peace.

Happy Christmas to All!!

Martie

• chloehoover
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday, Monique!

{{gwi:189939}}

--Cindy

• babs_clare
    16 years ago

{{gwi:189940}}

Also-Happy Birthday Monique~

~Babs

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Checking in from Edmonton to wish you all a very very happy boxing day!

We had a beautiful snow on the 24th and clear blue skies on Christmas day. We've taken Skyler for skating lessons 3 times and I'll try to share pictures with you when I return to Ontario. The mountain of Christmas loot was obscene but the young man was really in control of the situation with no fussing or tears as in the past. The books were all studied with care, including The Enormous Egg. I was impressed! For DH and me, many doggie gifts appeared. :) Lonesome friends joined us for our dinner and we had a lovely walk in the snow to see the lights. Indy dog has been able to run at top speed with big sticks in her mouth...so nice after her leg surgery healed.

Reed is a super sweetheart, but you knew I'd say that. He's quite the Mama's boy, but I do get to hug and snuggle almost often enough. Yesterday he sucked on a piece of asparagus for dinner!

Much more activity here than I'm used to with neighbor kids in and out and overnight. Life is good and I hope you all feel the same way!

Loved Mary's lime green contribution!
    Later,
    'bug

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

{{gwi:189941}}

• saucydog
    16 years ago

{{gwi:189942}}

• triple_creek
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Our Christmas ran late in the day due to all the other celebrations, but everyone was pretty relaxed and had a good time. After a little cleanup today I have been taking it easy and sampling all the leftover goodies.

Wyatt opening his last present. I missed the shot of him jumping up and down with excitment.
    {{gwi:189944}}

The big kids playing a rousing game of Catch Phrase. Everybody having a good time what more could you ask for.
    {{gwi:189945}}

This is a dorky pic of DH, but do you think he needed beard trimmer. LOL
    {{gwi:189946}}

Happy Birthday Monique. What a cute picture of Emma and Oliver on your holiday card.
    {{gwi:189947}}

I'm to lazy tonight for comenting to all but I have relished every picture and post. Since I don't get away from home all that much I sure enjoy the companionship here. Cheers to all! Norma

• triple_creek
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok I just watched Kenzies video again and have to say that is so cute, and the pictures of her are too.

Now I'm waiting to see Bella on Butterscotch, and T's grandsons too. I'm curious as to what James had on his Santa list.

And Cynthias crew in their red coats, Babs Gingerbread ornament that I bet Ryan made. Rahji in his ribbon. Their all sweet. Oh yes, the girls in front of the fire at Marys was great. And the gingerbread cookies. Also everyones decorations. Just so neat.

The birthday cards too. Saucy yours is so serene looking.

Party on girls and have a plesant lunch together.

Nite all Norma

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

{{gwi:189948}}

• wendy2
    16 years ago

{{gwi:189949}}

Happy Birthday Monique!

• denisez10
    16 years ago
  • Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the birthday photos and wishes everyone!!! I ate too much today, bought some shoes, and got a foot rub. Sounds like a good birthday, doesn't it LOL?

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good morning Idylls,

Its a pretty dreary, gray day here but its just SOP for this time of the year. I think we are supposed to get a few inches of snow sometime today and Doug is anxiously waiting for his new snow blower to come in. We finally broke down and ordered a new machine as the old one was beyond its last legs. Wed bought it shortly after we bought this house so it doesnt owe us anything. Doug ordered an 11.5 horsepower Ariens so it should be able to throw the snow into the next county. Of course now that weve taken the plunge it probably wont snow for the rest of the winter. LOL

Yesterday Wendy, Chelone, Saucy, Sue and I met in Chelmsford for lunch and had a terrific visit. Lots of laughs and good wishes were shared by all. What a treat to see so many smiling gardener faces. We are talking about having a get-together at Tower Hill sometime in the next couple months and Im going to be planning our annual Thumb our Noses at Winter party, probably for the last week in Feb or beginning of March. The Idyll social calendar is getting off to a good start for 08. Speaking of which, where are we going to IU5????? Anybody have any great ideas out there???? Personally, Id love to go back to Michigan and see Davids new gardens and visit Edens and Honeys gardens again. That was a marvelous trip and pretty central. Jump in anyone please with ideas and suggestions.

Im loving all the birthday and Christmas photographs. What fun. Michelle, I just love that Chickadee on the sundial photo. Wonderful! And Norma, what is that columbine? What a beauty! Your DH is so cute. He looks pretty happy with his Christmas present.

Michelle, Oh yes, I almost forgot to answer your question, I DID buy that ribbon at Sams. They have some lovely ribbon this year too and I want to pick up a couple rolls when it goes on sale.

Mary, I ROTFLOL when I saw the lime green panties gingerbread woman. You are just too clever.

Monique, glad to hear you had a great birthday.

OK Ive got to get off this computer and get to the gym and begin to work some of this excess baggage I picked up over the holidays off my bum. Have a great day everyone.

Deanne

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday Monique
    {{gwi:167980}}

• david_5311
    16 years ago

Just a stop in here to wish a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all our Idyller friends from Jim and myself. We are having a great holiday, all 4 of my kids are here including my oldest son and his wife from France whom I haven't seen for a year. I went amaryllis crazy this year and the house is beautiful filled with amaryllis and decked out trees and lots of other plants of the season. We even have a special "Merman Tree" which has all the typical gay stereotypes in sequined merman form (the "December Diamonds" series of ornaments, you can look at them on line) which we made from one of Inta's bright chartreuse green tuteurs, decorated with gilded feathers and flashing lihgts. It is a total hoot and looks just like a Christmas tree in drag, LOL.

And I see it must be Monique's Birthday so HB Monique, and hi to Les too and all the rest of you. Best wishes for a wonderful new year in the garden....

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    16 years ago

{{gwi:189951}}

Good, but tiring, Christmas here. DH is on the way to the airport now with his parents. They're going to be very tired by the time they get home tonight - and that's not good. MIL gets very confused and upset when she's tired. FIL is likely to have a few bad/tiring days until she readjusts. He was looking very tired when he arrived last week. It's very stressful living with someone with a deteriorating memory and who is becoming more and more physically frail. We're all worried about the future for both of them. They have stopped talking about possibly moving back here. I think they are now beyond the point where they could deal with the stress of arranging and coping with a long-distance move. Aging sucks!

• Monique z6a CT
    16 years ago

Thanks Mary, David and Woody for the photos and good wishes!

David, how ironic that you chimed in right after Deanne mentioned Michigan as an IU5 location LOL

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!