Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Idyll # 414 Allow yourself some happiness....

It's Christmas Time Again

by

Bob Lazzar-Atwood

Put your problems on probation

Run your troubles off the track,

Throw your worries out the window

Get the monkeys off your back.

Silence all your inner critics

With your conscience make amends,

And allow yourself some happiness

It’s Christmas time again!

Call a truce with those who bother you

Let all the fighting cease,

Give your differences a breather

And declare a time of peace,

Don’t let angry feelings taint

The precious time you have to spend,

And allow yourself some happiness

Like some cool refreshing water

Or a gentle summer breeze,

Like a fresh bouquet of flowers

Or the smell of autumn leaves,

It’s a banquet for the spirit

Filled with family, food and friends,

So allow yourself some happiness

Comments (103)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Woody, your recipe sounds like a very healthy snack for a dog. I have next weekend pretty open so far and hope I can do it then. Thanks very much for sharing! :-)

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Is it another week already? Boy, time flies by here on the idylls! I finally got a bit of motivation re trees and cookies and such, but I am far far behind these other industrious idyllers - I was about to declare Michelle #1 for being ready for Santa, but I think then that Kathy has managed to make forge ahead perhaps to No. 1 spot...

Denise, I want you to know you and I must speed read the same way some how - I was confused over the 'bug comment re Michelle venturing to Fla, nosebag being added to my personal dictionary, and those chatty greys, they were all things that popped into my mind as things I mentally nodded or pondered, LOL.. I hope you're feeling better soonest. (V- too -- you sure you dont want to take the "whiny mantle" from me, please? I often think that's all I do too).

O, Jerri, we demand you visit us medicated or otherwise -- we can do silly or grouchy so easily. Good luck and rest up.

That is horrible, horrible damage, Deanne - but Im so glad no one was injured and you have big strong Doug to help clean up that stuff -- maybe this year, will be your low-key Xmas holiday -- just a couple decorations and enjoy the pleasure of others' company. Hmm, re the storm, Chelone in her undies (would they be lime green like Mary's?) chillin around her stove, the things we think of!

I did manage to support my local nursery vendor very well and purchased a tree that I should enshrine in gold to preserve at its price -- somehow the artificial door wreath I bought ended up w/Williamsburg apples and boxwood on it -- so PM2's subliminal suggestions managed to hit my pocketbook -- weird -- just like fried chicken commercials on TV. It's very nice if I do say so myself altho I would have liked some lites on it; yes, I could wrap a string on; but Im counting myself lucky to have hung a wreath up, LOL... maybe the lites will come next year.

Can't wait to see Mary's gingerbread violins and guitars -- wow!

I managed to get the tree up in its stand (which turned out to jammed and broken; but it's upright - it may be telling me it's time for the artificial leap after all), but no lits or decoration yet - it's very a la naturel - there's always this weekend to make progress. But if I could check in here more, I am sure I'd be inspired and pushed to finalize things.

Well, it took me a bit to read up on the last few days, so I best ring off and go do work.

Looking good, guys -- Im thinking Woody's "dog cookies" sound good enuf for appetizers for humans!

-Cindy

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Chelone wears red long underwear with a hatch in the back - I'm sure of it!

Saucy

• denisez10
    15 years ago

More yes/no ruminations. See, V, your 12 years of Sunday school teaching is the kind of thing I'm trying to say yes to. I've been making room employment wise, cutting way back on hours, to see if I can shoehorn something into a work schedule that always runs on the volatile side and consumes the best portion of the day and most days of the week. I was way overextended for many years so have been in a backlash mode since then, and now saying no has become a habit I need to break. I'm still not quite sure what the "yes" will be to, but less income and a more spacious week is something I'm definitely getting comfortable with. It's the kind of thing that needs re-examining periodically and probably my version of a mid-life crisis. Beats hankering after a red corvette, I suppose. Congrats to you for 12 yrs of Sunday school teaching, something to be very proud of. I think Michelle is involved in something similar. And then there's the animal rescue crew (Jerri, best wishes on your speedy recovery!)

I found the Texas Toothpicks at a pet shop last night and a Kong toy, which will go to my BIL's manic choc lab Molly. What wonders Chelone could have wrought with that animal! They've spent a small fortune on dog trainers.

And Woody's dog cookie recipe was pounced on. Thanks!

Hey Cindy, my tree is still au natural too, and the mantle is accumulating an odd assortment that says something...not merry christmas exactly, but something.

Thinking of Eden this week with all the turmoil over the auto industry. Again, rotten timing before the holidays.

Very much enjoying the bird photos, thanks Marian.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I uploaded some photos from the camera and despite no sunshine, the photo of the wreath came out okay, although I had thought of adding more to it...

{{gwi:189989}}

And a couple of ornaments on the tree...the gardening angel has been around awhile and only has half of his hat [g]...and an ornament representing a favorite memory of a cab ride on a trip to NY city...

{{gwi:189990}} {{gwi:189991}}

Very few photos are pleasing me. I just didn't have the patience to take them and I couldn't remember how to get the glare of the lights to cooperate on the tree. I got lucky with the one NY ornament. I am thinking this is more or less like the garden...there's always next year. lol

pm2

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Just a pop in here. I was over on the decorating forum and saw this Williamsburg thread that I thought I'd put a link to here for anyone interested.

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Hi all

Pretty wreath PM!

How are your teeth Kathy?

Here are some of the things I've been making.

Musical gingerbread tree ornaments.

{{gwi:189992}}

Knitted dishcloths - dragonflys remain a favorite motif.

{{gwi:189993}}

I've been having a lot of fun with embroidering felt this year. These will have red ribbons added for hanging on a tree and are this year's gift for friends at work.

{{gwi:189994}}

The miniature is still a work in progress and consuming far too much time when I should be doing other things. Photos will follow. Right now I need to drive David to karate class where he is testing for another stripe on his brown belt, and take Annie in the opposite direction for a violin ensemble. Both need to be picked up at the same time - yikes! I'm planning on throwing a chicken in to roast which hopefully will take care of itself till we are home to eat. How many days till vacation?

Mary

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Well Ms. Saucy! Are you baking up with I think you're baking? Oh my, oh my, oh my!!! I am shocked. (well, really, I'm sort of guffawing out loud...)

I have come to a decision - I am not exhausted at the end of each day because of the lingering cold; I am exhausted from battling this #%&&^#%$(&ing weather. Sorry, I learned a few words from our governor. The hardest part is that it's not even officially winter on the calendar. It's going to be a really, really long winter here, and I just may be mud-wrestling Cindy for the title of the biggest whiner.

As long as I am whining, I'll share a quick story about my DH. He is infamous for never putting things away or cleaning up after himself. As one example, he will pull the phone book out of the desk drawer to look up a number, leave the drawer wide open, and then leave the open phone book somewhere in the kitchen. The drawer and the phone book could stay that way for days if I didn't either tell him about it or close/put them away myself. So last Saturday morning, I couldn't find my tube of toothpaste that I had been using for the last several weeks. I finally asked him if he had done something with it. Get this - he put it away because no one was using it!!! How is it that he can't put away something for days, but feels the need to put away the things I'm actually using? (He uses a different brand of toothpaste, by the way. Which he let stay in its place on the sink.)

And doesn't it make you crazy when you find the perfect spot for the shiny ornament to dangle from the light fixture, and then you find the "Made in China" sticker still on it?

The dogs are very feisty tonight. They've been wrestling over the bone, and I just caught Sunrise with her head in the pot of my variegated geranium. What's that all about?

Time to go pull together a late, light dinner. Stay warm. Did I mention we've got 3" of new snow? Am I smiling? or just gritting my teeth?

V.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Feeling quasi simpatico here with fellow Idyllers- it never made it out of the 30s today till after I went to lunch. I called one of my vendor reps who lives in Santa Rosa (across the hills from us in Sonoma County) but he advised me that he was in reality in Chicago for a sales meeting. I was able to make very informed weather comments to him !
    Have all my antibiotics, mouth rinses, pain med(if needed) and sedative lined up and ready to go. One of my fellow (smart a** ) employees said he was bringing peanut brittle to the office pot luck on Thur especially for me. They get a lot of mileage from my dental woes at the awfice! Thats ok, if it keeps their mind off the lousy business levels and the fact that their colleagues are dropping like flies as layoffs proceed , Im happy to be the butt of the jokes.

Saying no: Since I am a buyer by profession I have learned to say no with no regrets over the years..along with thats not good enough , sharpen your pencil and sorry, but were through. When I first started out it was hard ! I didnt have the confidence to respond to objections , or even to fully understand what the objections might be. Not the least bit shy about any of it anymore.

Denise, several years ago I joined Napa Countys master gardener program this is essentially a volunteer organization . Think I joined in 1999. This year I have not made my volunteer hour commitment because my work situation has just been too draining, but I was heavily involved to the point where I chaired committees and even served one term as president. The only thing I did this year was to teach a taxonomy class to the incoming interns in January. Point being that I found volunteer work very rewarding, especially teaching sustainable gardening practices to the public. The other aspect was the continuing education hours we were required to achieve each year. I think if I was at leisure I would be spending a lot of time at the local JC.

PM, I think your wreath is lovely ! I was going to do something quite like that but I ended up just hanging a bare grapevine wreath on the front door-I guess I went minimalist ! Yes, I think it was probably May when I took that photo, though probably earley in the month. The rose on the gate is Jeanne la Joie , a miniature (!!) climber. This winter will be one of her heavy pruning years and she gets way out of hand if I let her go for more than a couple of seasons. This dental work tommorow is the beginning of the end but not the end itself. The whole process will take about 8 months with all the waiting (healing periods. Yes, BILS have the steep front garden.

Cindy, the only reason Im moving ahead on Christmas prep is that I have scaled back and am essentially done with everything except packing my suitcase for my flight to Portland. I ordered the last Deanne-inspired photo book last night , and should have it by Monday. How did the cookie-fest go ?

Mary really, those little felt hearts are just so nifty-when the hell do you find time to do all this stuff ?? Did you put something on the GB guitars to preserve them ?

Michelle, I particularly liked the grapefruit wreath on the Williamsburg thread link you posted. I noticed the heavy use of Magnolia leaves on both that thread and some of the pics that PM has posted. I have neighbor behind me with one that drapes a bit over my fence and I have trimmed that tree more than once for Christmas arrangements.

LOL Saucy, Chelone in a red union suit ! What are the bees doing right now ? Do you even see them ?

and Chelone, thanks for the history on the Audubon folk setting up camp at the compound. You have a habitat ! Maybe Deanne needs to make a trip down and set up the blind for some photo ops. She could also schlep across the hiway for some sea bird action. Best of both worlds.

V. are you accusing our Saucy of baking Alice B. Toklas brownies???

Okay, Ive rambled on enough goodnight to all !

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    15 years ago

Two points of interest this morning, one belated.
    1.) Yesterday was the 235th. anniversary of the Boston Tea Pahty.
    2.) There is a copy of the Alice B. Toklas recipe from an old National Geographic that is not only framed but hanging in Mum's room in THTTF. Naughty biscotti for all courtesy for Alice B. Tokeless. ;) (talk about a really scary lookin' woman, yikes!).

I've overslept again, don't care. It's snowing very lightly and it's going to amount to little more than a confectionary dusting on top of a Washington Pie. Maybe they'll decide to call school again today? I finished the pediment for the front door last night and put it up. I have to view it from afar to decide how to further "gild the lily" and add some more accents to give it some more "finish". I have some more to do this afternoon, too. Wrecks will enjoy thrashing through the "habitat" while I selectively prune the evergreen vegetation. I love Magnolia leaves but have never used them. They're usually rather an expensive item for my area and I tend toward the "pahsimonious".

No "unionsuit" for me, I don't even think I own "longies" any more. If I have to be outdoors in really cold, biting wind I haul on my marine foul-weather gear... and look like a little kid in a snowsuit. Or just an idiot.

Mary, your gingerbread confections are marvelous... with a good hot cup of coffee... mmm. Probably not so great after a few days swinging in the balsam, though. Love the heart ornaments, too. If Idyll hands are the devil's workshop you're the shining light of redemption for alltherestaus. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

V., the helpmeet and I have been shrieking with laughter over the governor's woes. Hollywood couldn't have written it better. Sporting the black turtlneck and that hair (is it a rug?) we've decided he could have posed for the album cover of "Meet The Beatles" or maybe passed for Eric Burden. Too funny. I'd be worn out too, if I had to deal with the "weather hand" you Prairie People have been dealt. Hang in there. It should blow out by March.

Hi to everyone, and wanted to tell Cindy we have an interesting assortment of tortured plants in the shop. When I finally threw one out my boss noticed instantly and asked where it went. (give me a break)

Off to work now.

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Wow Mary! I love them all! I think that the little felt heart ornaments are my favorite...if I was pressed to pick one :) That would be a good sewing project for Sarah! Your blanket stitch is excellent!

Chelone, you may not really wear a union suit, but you must admit that it paints a pretty picture when you imagine Chelone dancing in her undies around the woodstove while the cold wind howls outside the compound!

School's delayed by an hour this morning, which throws a kink in the schedule. The Christmas crunch has officially begun at my house! Oh well. I'll just delay by an hour, too :)

V., I'll have you know that my gingerbread creations are pefectly G Rated :)

Denise, I think your forecast is bright and sunny no matter what you choose to do. I admire a woman with a plan. I'm working on one :)

Oh, on that subject, I got asked to host my own booth next May at the plant sale. I can sell my hypertufa and leaf castings, or variations of, for myself! I'm really happy about it, and most happy that I have all winter to get ready. I am putting it on a back burner until January :)

I've gotta go get Jake up and out the door.

Saucy

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Weird weather day here but I'll take "going into the 40's" for this afternoon.

Jerri -- If you're out there and can read this with both eyes open ..... POST!! It's what kept me semi-sane during my summer recovery and the drugs only helped the hilarity of "how" things were said. Foot surgery is no joke, so do what they tell you and let DH wait on you hand and foot.

Am loving the stories and pics of holiday sweets and decorations --- sometimes hard to tell which is which! We've cut waaaaaaaaay back this year since "the day" is elsewhere, but we're enjoying what we have and when Advent is over and everything that's going to be out is out, will have some pics.

So glad Chelone and Deanne and Saucy are re-sparked ;-) A few of our folks came back to CT to restock repair materials and their stories were both heartbreaking and heartwarming. Why does it take disasters to bring communities together sometimes????? That's a question for the ages, methinks.

Laughing, but wishing we didn't have to, about the IL political scene of late. What law don't you understand, sir???

Bet the 24th can't come fast enough for 'bug.

Jumble of a day coming up so best recaffeinate and get going.

Waving to all (with mittens :-)

Martie

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

Popped in for my morning lurk and had to LOL about Chelone's reference to the governor of IL's hair. Maybe he's trying to woo Paul McCartney to ante up for that senate seat...lol. I don't stay up late enough for the Letterman and Lenos but they must be having a field day over this guy.

Hope the weather gets better for you V. We have freezing rain here this morning but it's supposed to get into the upper 30s so no lingering issues. I went up to VT on Saturday, stayed overnight and skied on Sunday. Killington was still having some lingering problems related to the ice storm. Apparently they shut the whole mountain down on Friday and alot of the lifts on Saturday. It may not technically be winter but as of Sunday we started gaining daylight at night again.

OK, back to the mines. Hi to all!

Sue

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good morning

If Saucy was baking those brownies I vote she bring them to Idyll camp this summer:0)

A bit more fun with felt before you get tired of me. I finished this pin cushion last night for Mum for Christmas. I love mushrooms (where IS Babs!!) and Mum knows a lot about Mycology. Sorry the pic is blurred.
    {{gwi:189995}}

Mary

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Yes Martie, I'm on pins & needles (reference to Mary's adorable pin cushion!) for the 24th, but still so much to do! (I can't use a pin cushion here because of the cats, yes, even the dog.) Yesterday my doctor suggested yet another "procedure" having to do with hemorrhoids, ughhh. I'm visualizing a 4 hour plane ride with me sitting the whole way... Today, more interesting, will be my naturopath appointment, that is if we can get out the icy driveway.

Yesterday DH & I managed to collect some small gifties for the gang. We found "Polar Bear Poop" for Skyler, various cocoas for the others, a sweet onesie with a frog on it for NB (new baby), a book of optical illusions, various jars of edibles, etc. We did NOT buy the nightshirt saying "bearfoot & pregnant in the kitchen", featuring a fat bellied bear. The outing was fun...and DH paid!!!(unheard of...) We also managed to eat lunch in town, enjoying hot soup and bagels while watching huge chunks of ice move down the Grand River.

DH is having nonsense directed his way at work these days, so it ain't over 'til its over I guess. At 67, this stuff with power and arrogance continues on and on.

The new wood stove is keeping us most happy, but it will be even better when we get around to using GOOD wood rather than the old willow and junk we are presently getting rid of.

We've been seeing lots of ducks in the creeks as well as flying overhead.

Last night's ski lift drama made me think of Sue. See below.

'bug

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Mary, it's all beautiful! Love the simplicity of the dragonfly design. Coincidentally, I ended up choosing felt ornaments for my nieces' presents.

Kathy, thanks for the master gardener tips. Worth looking into.

PM, love the wreath and the gardening angel.

Congrats, Saucy, on your booth. Excellent!

Chelone's sleeping late remark. One of the biggest challenges of the work I do is getting everybody -- the attorneys and the witness -- in the same room on time. Never happens. Someone invariably staggers in a half hour late, muttering, Wow, the traffic today! The on-time arrivals offer polite sympathy (and/or give him the hairy eyeball, ahem). Some of these expert witnesses charge $700 and up an hour, so time is literally money. So I can't IMAGINE how this works where there's snow, icy roads, etc.

V, pay no attention to the snickers. Your state has quite a history of "colorful" politics, but then we continually vote for actors as governors. Sounds like those southern trips have ruined you for the rest of the winter, lol.

Sounds like a fun shopping trip, 'bug. Hoping those doctors work their magic on you quick. Those airlines pillows are such junk, maybe you can bring something of your own?

Thanks for the link, Michelle. The fruited wreaths are a rarity out here, mostly just greens.

Recaffeinating here takes the better part of the morning, Martie. You're sounding chipper! My paperwhites in thrift shop vases have finally budded, just in time for presents next week.

Sue's got the right idea of what to do with snow. Wheeee....

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning Idylland,

This thread is zipping along nicely! Nice to hear from so many. The weather here is snow and sleet but Ill certainly take it over ice any day. Doug had to go to Exeter today to a clients and it took him an hour to get to Manchester. Yikes! Hes going to spend the whole day driving. He usually calls me to vent when he gets stuck in traffic. LOL

So last night I had yet another impromptu dinner party. My sister was supposed to bring me a free range turkey from the farm she works at for my Thanksgiving. The day before Turkey day around noon (yes this story is going somewhere that relates to last night) she called to say that my turkey was still walking around breathing. Hmmmm.. I said to her, "I think thats a problem". To which she said that I could drive to Pittsfield NH at 11:00PM (an hour plus or so) to pick up the bird the night before Thanksgiving. Anyway, I said that was a bad plan and she should just freeze the bird and bring it the next time she came down this way. So. She dropped it off (the thing cost me an arm and a leg BTW) on Thursday, yes that is the day I lost power. So anyway this very expensive turkey had been thawing out since Thursday so I had to cook it yesterday. Pretty funny to feed a 25 pound bird to six people but at least I rounded up a few extra mouths instead of having it for just Douglas and I. LOL Bottom line, that was the BEST tasting turkey I ever ate! Quite delicious but I surely wish Id had it for Thanksgiving. So now I have to de-bone that bird and freeze the meat and make soup. Ill be eating turkey until Easter. LOL

Sue, glad to hear you were able to go skiing!

V. Hmmm Im a bit confused why your DH left out his toothpaste and put yours away. Sounds like passive aggressive to me. Sorry about your weather. I feel your pain.

Chelone, looks like youve got everything going smoothly at the compound. Would love to see pics of your pediments when you get them installed.

Mary, I just LOVE all the lovely things youve been making. The gingerbread guitars are brilliant. You are so amazingly creative!

Saucy, do we get first dibs on buying your hypertufa and leaf castings????? Sounds fantastic.

Martie, I REALLY need to get a photo of the lavender for you. Its gorgeous and smells divine.

Jerri, thinking of you and hoping all is well. Check in and let us know how you are doing please?

Kathy, Ive been meaning to tell you how lovely your mantle display is! Really beautiful! Doug and I have opted to nix the holiday decorations this year. Too much to do with yard cleanup yet and I dont want to deal with the extra time it will take to put up and take down decorations. Ill be thinking of you with your dental work today. Hope all goes well.

PM your evergreen swag on the door is gorgeous!!!!!

Waving hello to Cindy, Michelle, Marian, Woody, Bug, Denise, Julie, Cynthia, (love Hope in her argyle) Brenda and everyone!!!!! Have a great day.
    Deanne

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Wow, turkey sandwiches at Deanne's!

Forgot to offer support for Jerri & Kathy today.

Stay toasty...

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

o so much to comment on and I'll forget most Im sure --

Love your door swag, PM -- beautiful!!

Im excited too that for once I can see Mary's pics of her lovely handmade items (odd, maybe a filter is down here at the ofc or something) -but what a treat. Im not sure which I love most... the mushroom is wonderfully one of a kind; the ornaments - wow.

Laughing about the IL gov hair comments -- they actually had a gossipy tidbit in the Post yesterday about his penchant apparently for a particular type of hairbrush and that it was some sort of obssessive thingie with him, LOL -- only a Paul Mitchell $8 kind though it was identified as -- if anyone cares....one can only assume he loves that look of his younger years ....great photo ops!

V- I do feel for you re the weather -- I hope you get some respite from it (without having to resort to trips south monthly to do so) -- we managed to dodge the ice bullet here today, TG, but the commuting has been a real hassle for some reason daily -- and Im getting home later and later....which leaves me with little energy to do anything on the to-do list. O well, it will get done or not...

Deanne -- that's a funny, memorable turkey story -- you're going to be making a lot of leftovers quickly now, arent you?

Saucy - that's neat re your invite to sell stuff at the plant sale -- I hope to hear of all the wonderful 'tufa stuff you have planned.

'bug - it sounds like you got lots accomplished for the holiday trip and one cant help but get excited! my inquiring mind tells me I have to find out what the Polar Bear Poop is....

well, sneaking in here on "hours" so I best vamoose...

-cindy

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Cindy, "Polar Bear Poop" is actually almonds coated with white chocolate. Bet you feel better now!

OK, for those who have asked, I'll try to condense the information on my new health program. It will take me a while to figure out too.

So first of all, my symptoms were many small things which I wanted to eliminate: High blood pressure, eczema/psoriasis, some arthritis, stress and mood, heartburn even drinking water, dementia prevention, etc...

The Koenisburg urinary test showed that I have extreme adrenal dysfunction. (No surprise to me considering what 2008 threw in my direction!) Other tests showed some calcium loss, low vitamin C levels in spite of large fruit intake, high oxidation, some glucose too. Odd results considering I had just completed a physical with various exams with my family doctor a few weeks before.

So I have a treatment plan. Basically, I start with several supplements, some expensive, but my goal is to wean myself off of them within a few months and use diet to maintain the new lifestyle. We'll see.

We'll consider a 5 meal a day plan, 2 of which will be "meal replacements" using UltraMaintain Plus 360...to target good cholesterol, fat loss and muscle gain, lower BP, and improve markers of cardiovascular disease (Dad died of this) and insulin resistance.

Next EPA720, an omega-3 fatty acid. This should reduce inflammation within my body, reducing pain...but also work on many other areas such as mood and brain, insulin, etc...

ReloraPlex. This is for short term use only, to help support normal mental function during times of stress, fatigue, tense muscles, poor sleep, concentration, etc.

Then a teaspoon of "Fiberrific" each day.

Eating plan involves protein for breakfast, eating edamame beans (soy beans) to help with osteoporosis, cognitive function, etc... Also more oatmeal, flax seed, Kashi cereal for breakfast, Allegro cheese, etc. But portion control will be a start I guess. I think my choice of foods is already quite good.

Add on some relaxation exercises starting with 5 minutes a day, aiming for 20 minutes.

Add to that, some reading, starting with a beginner book The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. There's also a book for vegans which is not for me, but the recipes are excellent and I may pick it up too: The Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier.

Of course exercise is a part of the plan and I'll need to figure that out in January, how to deal with ice and Phoebe, but maybe work with a resistance band and my treadmill until the weather shapes up.

Once I get organized, there should also be time to LIVE!
    I bet this is the winner of the most boring post ever on the Idylls. :(

'bug

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

V, can I join you in the whine? -21 last night and we also have a bunch of snow and there's another storm headed this way. Maybe its the weather but people are really touchy at the office and these days does really seem like an awffice.

Mary, I love the musical instruments! Do you have cookie cutters or free hand it? All the other gifts are so wonderful as well and the reciepants will love them.

A new computer at work yesterday has made things interesting this week. Excuse any spelling errors as I'm waiting on a new version of Word and so I don't have any right now.
    I don't believe my grandparents would have ever given me "polar bear poop" What fun you guys are!

Cindy, my guess would be marshmellows for the polar bear poop.

I had an interesting experience with a possum a few years ago. I was in the barn and leaned down to get something that was on the floor by a barrel and came eyeball to eyeball with one. I don't know who was more scared, me or the possum. Jaden has been know to catch them.

PM, what a wonderful wreath and the ornaments are both very interesting, which is what I love on a tree.

Best wishes to Kathy and Jerri.

That's all the lunch hour will allow. Later!

Michelle

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

thank you, 'bug for edifying me re the PBP... having just had to buy gifts for an 8 yr old girl who is into "gross and weird" I could only really wonder what's out there these days.... I am relieved to hear it's candy, LOL.... I tell ya, some of the stuff out there for sale, me o my...

The new health regimen sounds very interesting, really, 'bug - not boring -- but obviously high intenstity, but these things usually are. I hope you meet with much success on it.

Kathy, you're a good sport to take the brunt of the awfice humor re your dental woes - I think they should bring at least one pot luck each that could be eaten thru a straw for you - you know, nuthing like suckin up to the boss (no pun intended...) for job security...

I heard from my friend in Portland that she's stuck at home (with that 8 yr old who's into the gross and weird) with snow, ice, etc. -- she hasnt purchased chains for her car (apparently required there - interesting...) so she's truly stuck at present - and said she had yet to buy the Santa presents for her DD -- I think she better start checking out online shopping quickly! So in addition to Michelle's woes re her weather, Im feeling truly blessed! I do hope this winter does not shape up to be a terrible one for us all...

Denise -- Im not surprised re the tardiness of attys et al to the depositions -- they definitely operate in their own sphere of existence that seems to seldom interact efficiently with the rest of the human race's... I guess some CEO types have the same outlooks.

okay, now that I am in the know re PBP, I will return to actual work...

-cindy

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

I'm just getting caught up here. I can't believe I'm a whole Idyll thread behind. I'll join in with those thinking that the weather has been TOO wintry. We got around 4" of s*** last night too. Bah humbug!

Marie, I hope all your changes work and you are feeling great soon. The gifts sound perfect and I'm happy to hear you had a fun day shopping for them.

Mary, your crafts are wonderful! Thanks for showing us and I can't wait to see your new miniature creation.

We do snowman poop here, linked below. I've got to run and get Bella up from her nap.

Eden

• chelone
    15 years ago

Wow. You guys crack me up and what a wondrous range of topics today, Alice B. Toklas to Polar Bear, Snowman, and Reindeer poop and mushrooms both felt and dancing. We've definitely got it all.

We've got nearly 4" of snow and there was freezing drizzle on the way home. It's COLD, low twenties and I've bagged the notion of going out to cut Eastern White pine this afternoon. Instead, I've started a fire in the stove and lit the oil lamps. I don't know if I'm gettin' weird (no comments on the "getting" part, OK?) but I've been using the oil lamps in the afternoon. I light them at about 3:30 and as they "warm up" I adjust them to provide a soft glow in the room. It's very pleasant, though a bit at odds with the computer, I'll grant you.

'bug, it's going to take a long time for you to come to terms with the shock of Reed's death and I'm not the least surprised the disquiet in your mind has triggered such a rash of physical symptoms. I think medicine too often fails to give adequate weight to the interconnectedness of mind and body. I don't think your proposed program is boring, at all! quite the opposite, I find it refreshing that you've "taken the bull by the horns". Good girl! As for the upcoming trip west... I don't suppose they'll serve doughnuts on the plane, eh? (sorry)

We have o'possums here, too. Occasionally I see one dead by the side of the road, but I've never encountered one as "up close and personal" as you, Michelle! I'll bet that got your attention in pretty short order. :) I have read that they've been extending their range to the more northern climes and that it's not uncommon to find them with frost-bitten ears and tails at the northern most part of their range. Poor things. (I think they have sort of cute faces, and I love the little ones clinging to their mother's back...). Bummer that it's tense at the office; I hate it when work is like that. Bad morale is tough on productivity and creative problem solving.

Let's add DOCTORS to the list of "professionals" that have little to no regard for other people's time. I was insistant that Mum's appointments (and mine) be the first one of the day. We were on time for one scheduled later in the day and had to wait well over an HOUR, no one bothered to say they were backed up and way behind when I called to see if they were running on schedule. I was incensed, having left work early to be there on time. I let the receptionist know how irritated I was, too. And then I told the nurse and the good doctor, as well. They were mortified and rightly so. Perpetual tardiness is a pet peeve, esp. when it's wrapped up in lame-ass excuses. It demonstrates a selfishness that is insulting to those who're on time, sending the clear message that "my time is more valuable than your's" OR, "I'm not sufficiently organized to keep my appointments in a timely manner". I am not altogether unforgiving and do understand that sometimes things happen, but being on time is not very hard generally speaking.

I've been thinking of Jerri and Kathy today, too. I'm certain both are enduring a level of discomfort today, one I hope will not preclude their participation. We need all the funnies we can get. So Jerri, do up some pain meds and get postin'!

Eden, I saw some electric workers from MI the other day! I thought of you immediately. That's a long way to come to help out with downed power lines. I heard this morning that there are some parts of NH that may not have power until next week. I also heard that this is the most expensive ice storm so far... lots of people with frozen pipes and all the attendant water damage. So sad. Keep readin', you catch up eventually. :)

Love the turkey story, Deanne.

Think Marian and Nolon are "off line" due to icing?

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

just popped paim meds as the sedatin meds a anesthetic are rapidly wearing off. Ds will drive me to the pharmacy for me 'swelling'meds.. Four teeth gone and bone graft. I;ve corrected 50 typos.ice pak 2o minutes on and 10 off. great fun in winter !
    So that serves as my whiny post.

kathy in napa

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

All is okay here...no icing. The last storm missed us. Another possiblity of freezing precip is again in the forecast! We got above freezing today. Yey!
    It is back to 32 now.

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

glads to hare tdtaht Kathy is kkkkk.

Michelle, -21 my goodness! We're at a relatively toasty 3 or 4 right now. Tomorrow night we will either get an ice storm or a foot of snow. I would opt for the foot of snow if given my druthers. Woo-hoo! I just checked the updated forecast and we should get very little ice here.

The one thing I am grateful for is a great snow-plow guy. He came about 4:30 this morning and the driveway was a thing of beauty when I left for work.

Mary, I forgot to mention how much I liked your ornaments. I was thinking of doing something similar, but when I wandered into the black hole that is our storage room, I became very afraid and ran away. (only a slight exaggeration there, folks)

Deanne, a clarification on DH's toothpaste - it's Mentadent, which is a tall container that won't fit into our medicine cabinet so it must sit out on the sink all the time.

Chelone, unfortunately it's not a toupee. It says a lot about the man that he really thinks the hair and the all-black outfits look good. The people I know who have had any sort of contact with him have nothing good to say about him. And that's being very polite about it!

I do believe that the cold has crept into my brain, as I can think of nothing more to say!

V.

• chelone
    15 years ago

The helpmeet went out and cleaned off the driveway with the snowblower last night. I will deal with removing the snow from the deck today. There is no point in snow removal if the freezing drizzle is then going to settle on the newly cleaned surface! While he was following the snowblower Rex managed to slip away to the neighbor's yard where he discovered a MAJOR prize. The tail fin are of what was once a very large fish. I saw him gnawing on it while parked in the snow of the south lawn and Daddy arrived shortly thereafter to take it away. Hehehe. I saw the hand command for "sit" and then heard, "leave it!" clearly through the window. The fish is still out in the yard I believe so it will prove a hazard to canine navigation later this afternoon.

I wonder what V.'s gov. would look like with a shaven head? or a Mohawk? or a queue? one of those Monk-dos... the one where they left just a ring of hair (what was that called?).

And will Kathy remain in her home today? I hope you indulge yourself and turn the heat up. OR, you could perhaps roll up in a fart sack and press your face alternately to the cold kitchen or bathroom floor... 20 minutes/side oughta do it. The cats will be thrilled to have a cooperative hot water bottle in the house today.

Very exciting that Saucy will be building up her 'tufa and leaf casting inventory for her very own booth! What are you going to do for leaves in the winter? I like the concept of an hour delay for the Christmas crunch, too.

Thinking of Jerri this morning, too. And wishing her a speedy recovery... hoping for an update when you're feeling so inclined.

It's going to be a boring day at work. I'll probably be alone since my co-worker has been out with the flu (or is she gettin' a jump on our Christmas break?). I'll be able to listen to what I like, though. I'll be glad to get home this afternoon.

OK, time to watch the forecast (snow tomorrow and more on Sunday, I think) and think about makin' tracks for the shop. Yawn.

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Good morning all

We got about four inches of snow yesterday and then as Chelone said, it then started freezing drizzle. Yukko. Also, as Chelone said we are supposed to be in for another foot of the white stuff tomorrow then another hit on Sunday. I guess that will qualify for a White Christmas. Im so not in the spirit of things this year. Doug and I have opted to go birding on Christmas Day and see if we cant find the Snowy Owls at the Parker River Natnl Wildlife Refuge. I really want to skip the whole huge FOOD thing. There is just too much food between Thanksgiving and New Years.

Chelone I believe its called a tonsure. ~~~ LOL about the fish. Your story begs the question as to how an enormous fish wound up in your neighbors yard.

V. Thats wicked cold! ~ Glad to hear that the snow plow guy is reliable. It looks like that will be a wonderful thing this winter. And just think it hasnt even started yet!

Michelle Thats unbelievably wicked cold!

Kathy, Thinking of you and wishing a speedy recovery.

Marie, sounds like a demanding regimen but it will hopefully help with your health issues.

Cindy, great to see you posting regularly!

Denise, should I send you a pot of turkey soup???? The bird will be boiled down today and the extra meat is in the freezer. ~~ If I had your job I might just have to hurt someone if they came in too late and I was in a bad mood. Must be so frustrating.

Marian, so glad to hear you didnt get the icing.

OK time to get some coffee in me and get my day started. Have a good one everybody and stay warm.
    Deanne

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good morning

I used a cutter for the gingerbread instruments and didn't put anything on them other than the Royal Icing. They seem to keep forever without any preservative (or at least through the holiday season) possibly because they have little fat and no eggs.

Today I'm using half a personal day as it is my Book Club's annual lunch at a posh Country Club. It is wonderfully festive and they put on a marvellous spread. We have a blast! I always plan on using the rest of the afternoon to finish shopping and get the house ready for the holidays. Instead I drink a couple of glasses of wine, talk too long and accomplish very little other than having an excellent time.

I'm waiting impatiently as my favorite winter jacket is in the dryer. It is totally impractical - quilted white with a fur collar that shows every speck of dirt. But I love wearing it and it makes me feel young and hip which isn't a bad feeling when you are 48 and becoming frumpy.

Is Julie busy with Julie Jobs?

Mary

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Good morning!

It's great to see you posting regularly, too, Deanne! I think you and Doug have a great Christmas Day shaping up! That sounds like loads of fun. I always look over the brochure for the Audobon society longingly, but I never seem to make it to the events. We have lots of areas in town where they go birding.

Chelone, I was thinking that I'd take a ride with my florist neighbor to the big flower shop in Boston one morning and find some goods for leaf casting. That is the only thing I can think of....Elephant ears are pretty impressive when they're cast, and they're easy to boot.

Yes, Deanne, you'd have first dibs :)

Mary, I love the little mushroom, and Denise's link was perfect!

PM, I loved your choice of greens on your front door, but the ribbon is what struck me as the perfect touch! I love that bow :)

GB, I have to agree with Chelone that I think your health resolution is anything but boring! I'll be excited to follow your progress.

Kathy, hope you're on the mend quick, too! Did they give you a bovine bone graft like they did for my husband? I found that quite humorous....he did not. The first time he had a graft they harvested bone from his hip and it was a major ordeal...the bovine graft was a better process, though still quite an ordeal, I'm sure.

I have had quite the morning. My husband woke me up at 4 to tell me he couldn't sleep....and then the moon (that makes my mind wander to Idyll) carried on from there....I fell asleep right when it was time to get up. Jake missed the bus, Zeus shimmied under the Christmas tree to make it to the couch (Nick has forbidden his nightly snooze on the sofa, lol!) and only knocked off one ornament....but it was the present he left by the door that was no fun to dispose of.....

I am glad to have a peaceful day sitting in this office chair :)

Have a great day everyone!

Saucy

• saucydog
    15 years ago

...ahh....Mary....you're anything but frumpy! I can totally see you in that coat!

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

"WINTER STORM WATCH CONTINUED"

And for tomorrow:
    "Snow at times heavy ending in the evening then cloudy. Amount 10 to 15 cm. Local blowing snow in the morning. Wind east 40 km/h gusting to 60 becoming light in the evening. High minus 1."
    Frankly, I am very tired of winter already...and it has not begun yet! We have an event to attend tomorrow and driving is so difficult with the layer of ice here. Then of course I am concerned about getting safely to Woody's with Ms Phoebe. Fingers crossed.

I too am visualizing Mary in her white fur trimmed jacket. :)

Today is a busy one. I'll poke back here later I hope!
    'bug

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

gb - we'll keep our fingers crossed that weather is going to clear up before you need to bring Phoebe. I think you need to be prepared to bring her whenever the roads are clear, even if it is a day or two earlier that you planned - don't leave it to the last minute when the weather is so uncertain this time of year. She's welcome to come any time it's good driving weather to bring her....

Mary - those gingerbread cookies look great! I haven't made any of those in a long time - if I wasn't so far behind on Christmas prep., I'd make some. I have a favorite old coat too - a 25+ year old leather jacket that is begining to disintegrate :- ) but I love it and am reluctant to finally declare it dead!

Kathy - I hope your mouth is feeling better....

And I hope Jerri is doing fine too.

I wonder if Julie is snowed in up there... Today I need to stock up on various supplies and make a beef stew - I'm assuming that I won't be able to get out for a few days if we get the storm that's in the forecast so I'm trying to prepare as much as I can.

Most of the materials for my course that starts in January arrived this week. They still have to send me the audio transcript of the video portion of the DVDs. That's supposed to be sent by today or tomorrow. It looks like the course should be fun, but a lot of work. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!

I, too, am thoroughly sick of winter alread - even though it hasn't really started!

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Ok, Im going to be happy there's nothing inclement in our weather predictions for the day; but it too seems to go up and down for the next week - I will be thankful come Sunday when I can say I am really on vacation and stay home when I next see the nasty white stuff or yucky freezing drizzle (the worst!) - actually vacation is supposed to start tomorrow at 5:30 pm EST, but the boss has once again twisted my arm to come in on Saturday to do last minute things - I can't remember how many Xmas/holidays I've had my holiday leave "re-arranged" - but he caught me in an off moment w/ no real excuse; now Im thinking of the still naked tree at my house.. and nasty white stuff coming on sunday... o well, guess that will be the day for decorating.

I dont know why it is but I simply have not been able to do a stinkin thing at nite when I get home - not even the "one thing a nite" routine... but it's only me creating my own stress - not like anyone else is pushing me - so quit it, right?

Deanne, that sounds like a marvelous way to spend Xmas day - another wonderful memory -- food really doesnt have to be a huge part of it. I am doing the small dinner for my DD and her spouse -- he re-converted back to carnivore so Im thinking a small prime rib instead of fondue (which they have planned for themselves Xmas eve); I like lamb too, but have done that a couple of times in years past and think I want to remember my mother's holiday meals w/ the huge standing ribs of beef in a small way.... so, there I am thinking of food again, LOL.

Good to see Kathy checking in w/ the meds - they appear to be working well! I hope they suitably mask the pain -- egads, what you've put up with...

well, gotta think about the awfice chores for the day.

Eden - I was suitably amused by your version of snowman & reindeer "droppings"...hehehe....

--cindy

• jak1
    15 years ago

O.K. first: the weather whine: temperatures between 14 and 20 F, 4 inches of snow yesterday, beautiful fluffy white stuff falling so far today, forecast up to FIFTY cm. (that's I think about 20 inches) between now and Sunday. DH is going to drive into Ottawa (about an hour away) today to finish everything we need for Christmas because we aren't sure of the week-end. Also Ottawa's bus service is on strike so there is no public transportation in that city now (has been going on for 8 days so far) so that city is going to be in an even bigger than normal mess. The one saving grace for us is that InterPhil doesn't have much cash, so we traded his rent for December for snow clearing for us all winter - he sort of pretends it's a big chore, but in reality he seems to enjoy firing up the machine and clearing out the drive. One flake falls and he is right out there. He often just continues down the street and does a few other laneways that belong to people who are a little old to be clearing snow.

Next: Chelone. Donuts on the plane. That is REALLY bad!!! ROTFL!

Jerri and Kathy: my thoughts are with you guys in your medical interventions. I sure hope that pain passes quickly and that mending hurries.

I have never seen a real live possum, but I think they might be pretty cute with the babies holding on. Of course, I think raccoons are cute too, and they can be mighty fierce! So I would probably try to give a possum a wide berth.

'Bug: I think your health post is really interesting. And you are an inspiration to me as I tend to ignore healthy regimens. Eating 5 times a day? I am a grazer by nature so actually making the dinner is a big problems for me. I try to plan and make as much as I can before ten a.m. so that I don't end up making something quick and not healthy to feed the troops later in the day. Two meal replacements are good too - I bought some for TCS and of course he won't drink them, so I am having them. Not bad - keeps my energy level up much better than a bag of chips *LOL* As I (unfortunately) suffer from diverticulosis I must chug down Metamucil in a glass of warm water every day. I hate it, but it's just part of my routine now and I don't even think about it, I just do it. I rarely, almost never, suffer from diverticulitis as a result. DH and I have been talking a lot about cleaning up our lifestyle a bit - healthier food choices, smaller portions, more exercise, less wine....Gosh we sound old!!!

I have also simply stopped catering to TCS's ever more demanding eating style. I now give him a smaller lunch with a healthy mix of food and he either eats it or not. No more "I don't like this or that". My response to him is "You don't like anything, so it doesn't really matter does it?". I note that he has completely eaten his lunch every day for the last week and a half.

I love all of the decorations that I'm seeing - and the gingerbread guitars and violins are gorgeous. What creativity I see! If I am alone today I might try to take some photos to add to the mix.

Speaking of baking, I tried something new this week: Florentines. The recipe looked easy but it was a big mess, although the large and much too sweet results are fabulous! The recipe made three dozen 4 inch cookies, so I will be looking for a smaller version if and when I make these again. My family doesn't like fruitcake or Christmas pudding, so I am trying to find a different special tradition for them. Luckily TCS tasted one and his pronoucement was " Oh yuck, these are awful" so they're safe from him. I have to hide them from InterPhil though. And DH is diabetic so he won't even come into the kitchen in case smells the melting chocoate *LOL*

I'm off to get my day started. This IS the start to my day almost every day now - thanks, guys, this is fun!

Cheers,

Julie

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Florentines! Mom used to make them and they ARE HEAVENLY! I could eat a dozen of the 4" ones! But I won't.

Julie, here is an article that I really think every parent should read. I'll post it below. Maybe you will glean some pointers from it in regards to TCS. It really helped Sarah when dealing with her SS. Here is what she says on another forum to a Mom with an obnoxious, developmentally delayed stepson:
    My BS (Bonus son)is now 9. I first met him when he was 6yo. He was in the hospital for the first 5 months of his life, had many surgeries, has motor skill delays, is deaf in one ear, high frequency hearing loss in the other, which leads to speech issues.

When I met him, he was a spoiled brat. Because of his difficulties, neither dad nor mom seemed to have any boundaries for him. We spent the summer getting to know each other. I wasnt employed at the time so we would have fun during the summer weeks he was with DH (1wk/1wk). When they moved in with me, he couldnt dress himself. He wouldnt go to the bathroom by himself. He rarely slept by himself. He would eat scrambled eggs, kraft dinner, and pizza and have a fit if you tried to get him to eat anything else. He wouldnt listen to anyone.

Now, part of that is typical to a 5 year old that has never had to do anything for himself. 5yo from different families have different expectations. A 5yr old in a family of 9 children would probably be expected to dress himself, whereas an only child likely not. It depends on the family, and it depends on the child.

I am really lucky that my DH and I have great communication and we respect each others views and listen well to each other. We also have very similar ideas about parenting even though he didnt necessarily feel comfortable implementing rules and such. I did a bunch of consulting with other parents, my mom, and on the internet. DH was very supportive, especially when he found out that much of the behaviour BS was exhibiting was with his parents only, not with others (hed ask for spaghetti, lentils and rice from me if I was around, but he would have a fit if his dad was there).

What am I saying? I would suggest trying to enjoy your BS. Figure out what hes good at, make sure he knows, try to teach him new things (ride a bike, play war, skip rope, how to draw a tree, write his name). Help him be proud of things he CAN do. He sounds like a very frustrated kid.

Next, counseling (as others have mentioned) is definitely a big thing. Counseling would help BS, it will help DH deal with BS, and it will help you and DH figure out where each other stand with regard to BS. BS is probably getting help through his school for his developmental delays, but knowing what enjoyable activities at home help with those things would be huge.

Lastly, dont be too hard on DH. DH is still full of guilt about BS. He needs to deal with this, and realize that to some extent, coddling isnt helping BS. Affection, patterns, consistency, and lots and lots of love are.

We dealt with BS coming in our bed very slowly. We started by reading a story at night on his bed all of us (DH, BS, me, and the dog). It was crowded but that was part of the fun. BS would usually fall asleep then. DH and I would then have some time to ourselves, and go to bed. Sometime in the middle of the night, BS would crawl into bed with us, and stay until morning.

After 3-4 months of that (7.5yo), when he came to our bed in the middle of the night, we started telling him to go back to sleep in his own bed, and that he could come cuddle in the morning. That took a while for him to get used to, but a consistent pattern made it make sense, and then we were able to sleep most of the night straight, and actually enjoy cuddle time. That was a big change for everyone. But, he was about 8yo at that time, not 5. Slowly he has come to snuggle less. He is now 9.5, and he still comes to snuggle a couple times a week in the morning, and we have reading time in the evening.

Things have changed. He now reads to himself sometimes, and sometimes even puts himself to bed. On the other hand, he is comfortable

As for whining, I have an article on whining that I think every parent should read. Its found below.
    DH didnt realize how terrible it was until he was left home alone with BS and our baby for a week. That completely changed his attitude, and made him realize how big a problem it was.

Back to the Christmas theme. Congratulations Deanne on putting real meaning into your Christmas this year. It sounds perfect!

And here's a little gift we both liked so much that it is going under the tree for Baby #2.

{{gwi:189996}}

Time to get back to business here.
    'bug

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

My snowplow guy is DH and he's very dependable. Our drive faces east and is relatively short compared to V's and because we have such a nice grove of spruces on the north and west side of our farm place we actually don't get that much snow on our yard.

It was actually 5 degrees when I got to work, which these days seems like a heat wave. We are supposed to get snow today and again on Saturday, but I believe we've dodged the freezing rain for today. There's some advantage to living in the northern part of the state. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to get out and work each day. I can stay home and use vacation time, but it seems so limited if we want to make a FL trip and then have time off if they come in the summer.

Last night I accomplished zippo other than swimming. I was just so tired. I hate that when there's things to be done. I'm thinking that growing old is going to annoy me.

My word Julie 20"??? Why am I whining? LOL Nice of InterPhil to clear snow for those who it's difficult. I remember how grateful I was as a single mom when my neighbor would use his tractor to clear my drive with out asking and refusing to take anything for it.
    My theory on kids is that when they get hungry enough, they'll eat. I sound like I was a mean mom don't I? TCS seems to be getting your message.

We try to eat mostly healthy foods, lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains etc. I don't bake for us at all, only for company and we still eat enough of that kind of stuff.

My mom made a huge gingerbread house one year and stored it and displayed it for several years. The gingerbread didn't seem to deterorate at all.

'bug, the frog outfit is adorable. Every step child needs a step mom like your DD.

I'm sure Mary looks very hip in her white coat and as long as its washable no big deal.

Later

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Sneaking in...Boy, if one of you had posted that thing yesterday I probably would have thought you were tryin to be amusing ! Now I know why it's not a good idea to drive and or operate machinery while on meds! Yesetrday was no fun, but I'm at work today , and though swollen , have no pain to speak of. Brought my ice-pak with me. Thanks for all the kind wishes and I'll check in again tonight ...

Kathy in Napa

• jak1
    15 years ago

Hi 'Bug - thanks for the link. As I read, I was thinking how lucky we are with Adrian (TCS). He doesn't whine much, he dresses himself, he bathrooms and teethbrushes (is that a word?) and even washes his hands with soap, sometimes with a little prompting though. He doesn't tantrum eiother, and the school says he is excellent at problem solving and negotiating with his peers. He is generally a happy cheerful little guy, including at home.. Our only thing is his eating stuff, and we are working on that by simply saying, well, this is what there is buddy, so make your choice. He was resistant to most fruits although apples, strawberries and grapes are always a hit. I bought those nice Manadarin oranges for Christmas. His friends were over last week and they just about freaked - their Mom won't buy those because they're from China. So I asked their Mom if they could have one, she agreed, and they each went home with two for their dessert that evening. So guess who now likes Mandarin oranges. TCS has slept in his own bed every night for the last two years. He has come in to us the last couple of nights, but whoever gets up just takes him back to his room and tucks him into his own bed. Sometimes I don't even say a word, just take him back, tuck him in. In the morning he often doesn't even remember waking. I think it has to do with dreaming....Christmas is very exciting for a 7 year old...Anyway, enough!!

The little sleeper is adorable. I just love stuff like that!

DD went to the allergist because she gets a terrible batch of hives when her skin gets cold, and I do too. So...we're allergic to cold!!! We live in Canada!!!! What's with that???? He gave her prescription strength Reactine to take when she ski patrols. Good grief!!!

Anyway, I rearranged the family room today to make way for the Air Hockey that we are giving TCS for Christmas. I really like the new arrangement - and quite a few toys will be moving on to other children this Christmas. Did some baking, hid it from the hordes. That's my day. See ya tommorrow, in the SNOW!!!!

Cheers! Julie

• chelone
    15 years ago

Mum was never one to "make food a battle", either. We had the option to eat or not. Later, when I was older she would simply say, "if the bill of fare is not to your liking make yourself a peanut butter sandwich" (no, you don't sound mean, Michelle). She was willing to let me eat my vegetables raw, though. ;) I love those little Clemetines! we go through a box of them a week here. They're quick, easy, delicious, and no seeds Julie, I haven't quite gleaned who's kid TCS is, would you recap your family for me?

I wouldn't want to wear that little suit you posted, 'bug, but it is pretty cute for a brand new baby. I like that the frog is realistic, not a cartoon character. And I like the colors. And it's fun to read your DD's thoughts and her approach with Skyler. Consistency. And a good sense of humor.

"Tonsure"! that's it. Thanks Deanne! My family believes you ought to do what pleases you on a holiday. If you want to party with your family that's great. If you want to spend the day alone doing something you love to do, that's great, too. I like the sound of your plan for the day. I'll give my brother the option of coming over if he wants to, and BIL may be over too. Again, his option. :)

I have to finish 3 more decorations. I'll put out the window candles when we put the tree up. Tonight? tomorrow? dunno. Not worth sweatin' about, at any rate.

I would like to thank Kathy for checking in and confirming the effectiveness of the meds. You're a trooper. How long before you will no longer have to puree your food?

Hey Woody, I reread the recipe for the dog cookies and cracked up at the notion of baking them for 30 minutes at 3500 degrees. No wonder they're supposed to cool off overnight in the oven Lol.

Hoping that Jerri is reading along (any others?) and managing a few laughs here and there.

Wondering about the collar on Mary's jacket and thinking that one she isn't is, "frumpy"!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Chelone - I think that was another instance of cut-and-paste not working... In the Word document the second 0 is a superscript one for degree... It didn't make the transition to here and I didn't notice when I read the preview :- )

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Just want to share an email exchange from today:

hi
    heres what i do for breakfast at my moms
    this is what i could do at your house.
    Put on frying pan and turn stove to 5
    Start Hash browns or Paratha bread
    Now you can go to bathroom.
    Start preparing eggs
    turn the hash browns or bread
    turn on pan for eggs
    Wait 1 minute - put in butter
    When butter is melted
    Cook eggs- let them cook a little before stirring
    Then eat, you have 10 min
    love skyler
    xoxoxxo

So here's my reply:

Hey Skyler! You are welcome here any time, especially if you make us breakfast! :) Do you wash the dishes too?

See you real soon!
    NanaMarie

And then I received this a bit later and cracked up!:

i do not think i am ready for doing the dishes yet
    with
    love
    skyler

Hi Skyler!

It's a good thing we have a dishwasher here...and LOTS of dishes too!
    Your reply made me laugh.

I'll see you in a week! Have a Merry Christmas Day with your Mom.

:)
    NanaMarie

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Salutations friends, here I am in full possesion of my senses (such as they are) and enjoying a small glass if wine-wine qualifies as a cold, soft food dontcha know. Must follow Dr.s orders.

Cindy, I hear you when it comes to arriving home and just not having the get up and go to do a damn thing, especially now that its dark out and the garden is not the place to be ! Recently I have tried to create my own new rules; that I must do at least one chore before I can reward myself with a glass of wine and reading the Idylls or the newspaper. Tonight I came home, did some recycling, washed the dishes , and paid a couple of bills. Didnt take too long and at least I feel like I did something productive. These are not Julie jobs but just the day to day stuff. Even though I cant beat myself up too much if I consider the hours I put in at work, I feel much happier internally if I feel like I am keeping things at home on an even keel.

Julie, I really think it a noble effort that you and DH try to clean up your lifestyle, but less wine ??? Unthinkable. I have a neighbor that quietly does various little tasks for me sometimes I think its great that I-Phil is doing the snow plow thing for the older folks. How interesting that your Mandarins come from China? Obviously all manner of citrus are grown here in Calif, and most in our markets this time of year (normal harvest time for them ) are local from the citrus belt areas just to our east here. I have a Satsuma tree but only got one this year !

Chelone, I ate some eggs today(cold) and will have some cottage cheese and applesauce for dinner. Mouth wounds heal pretty fast , but I probably will be off granola and nuts for another couple of weeks. Im going to attempt my leftover lasagna this weekend. LOL your suggestion that I roll around on the floor applying my face to the tile for swelling control. I was pretty close to rolling on the floor state yesterday!

OK this is all I have for tonightapologies to those ungreeted

Kathy in Napa

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Kathy, you'd be amazed at the citrus we can grow here in Northern Illinois. My little Meyer lemon, barely a foot tall, has gifted me with six lovely lemons. Two of them were used tonight to make the dough for lemon butter cookies, which I will bake tomorrow at the family cookie-thon.

Weather whine? Here's a few of my favorite bits from the current winter storm warning: BY 11 PM A VARIETY OF PRECIPITATION TYPES WILL BE FALLING EVERYWHERE DEPENDING ON YOUR LOCATION... SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF AROUND ONE FOOT ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS FAR NORTHERN ILLINOIS...IN ADDITION...EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS WILL PRODUCE INTENSE
    PRECIPITATION RATES.

Nothing like a major snowstorm with an embedded thunderstorm, eh? I stayed a little late at the office to be sure that all the payroll checks were readied and the bank transfers completed. If I'm unable to get to work, at least those employees who can get in can get paid. You hate to mess up the payroll right before Christmas.

But I WILL go to work, and then I will go to SIL's for the cookie-thon.

Chelone, I was awake enough to think "tonsure" early this am, but not quite awake enough to type it. That would have involved full sentences, grammar, punctuation, etc.

Well, I have a dancer dog who thinks she needs to go out, so I will post this and then read a bit.

V.

• chelone
    15 years ago

I was unable to make myself go out to the Salon to put together any decorations last night. I did clip some greens and put them in water, but the Huge One was very interested in playing and it seemed that was more important. Nothing says "home from work" better than 100 lbs. of black brindle dy-no-mite. I hate dogs.

We're going to get snow today, too, though the amounts predicted are still very much up in the air. Evidently the weathermaker is going to skim us, but if it moves a wee bit north we could get rather a lot (6-10", or as we say in this house: 2-20"). The helpmeet is not amused, no fun cleaning snow off Christmas trees that are for sale, you know. I think I'll wear my boots today, just in case.

I admire your commitment to doing the right thing, V.. Payroll is important. My co-worker's check is spent before it's earned and she would walk over hot coals to get to work to claim it. A few days makes no difference to me. I think thunderstorms in the winter are the weirdest things!

I think there is tree decorating in our future tonight. The helpmeet is very surly these days and I've tried my best to dodge the sour attitude but he's really cruising for it with me lately. "Pow! right in the kisser!". :)

Kathy, good to know the discomfort is rather quick to heal and you won't be forced to spend much time on your kitchen floor. When do you depart for the north?

We try to eat a decent diet here, too, lots of vegetables and whole grains. The helpmeet is more into meat than I am, but that's OK. And lately, he's been junkin' out a lot, which usually indicates stress and dissatisfaction with work. Mind you, I can junk-out with the best of 'em, but I'd rather indulge with really good stuff, not convenience store garbage. ;)

I love the e-mails from Skyler. It must be satisfying to watch him mature and begin to shed the whiny/brat skin. We had a brat in the shop the other day, they're such a drag. I didn't know if I wanted to beat the kid or the parent more. :)

I've gotta skeedaddle. My Christmas break begins at quittin' time today. Later!

• saucydog
    15 years ago

The town took a preemptive strike and let the kids out of school before the storm even hits. What is just a graze for Chelone, will be a foot for me :) Better than three, I say! I have all my errand running to do this morning, and then I'll settle in for computer time when the flakes start to fly.

I too prepared paychecks last night, V. I don't like to run them on Thursday because it requires intervention in the software from me, which leaves more room for human error....which is classic me: human error :)

Jake certainly is a young man. He chose and wrapped gifts for 6 people at school. When prompted, he admitted they were all girls. He got them all Ghiradelli chocolate bars in different flavors. I'd say he might do all right in this world :) We spent some time together coordinating paper and ribbon and he got a wrapping lesson (they had to be nicer than what he'd do for us, lol!).

Sarah had her Chorus recital last night and it was great! They looked sharp in their black and white ensembles, and the auditorium we were in had nice acoustics (unlike the cafeteria where she practices!). It put a little holiday spirit in my mood.

I guess I'd better get moving. I want to get my list checked off and get back home to my warm comfy house.....

TTYL

Saucy

PS....I just snuck over to look at the weather map....I live in the red area:

{{gwi:189997}}

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Friday morning, and I had to sign in here. Wonder what that's about.

I'm tempted to shut all curtains and shades here. It is definitely nasty out there! Although there are exams going on at the University, we have been told that they will take place tomorrow instead of today. Similarly, our potluck Christmas dinner for French Club may change from tonight to tomorrow...but we will be told at 4PM. The long range weather forecast is yucky and we will need to plan several things carefully before our trip...such as a dinner with friends and also Doggie Daycare chez Woody.

I guess I should make DH some breakfast. He's going to walk the dog and is helpless in the kitchen. Even though I am running late I think I'll make oatmeal.

No birds out there... :(
    Later,
    'bug

• jak1
    15 years ago

Well, I am ready to post but I don't know how to start a new thread. I will wait.

Cheers,

Julie

• denisez10
    15 years ago

I wrote this last night around 11ish but didn't post it, so it belongs here:

Dear Skyler, one is never ready for doing the dishes. One just rolls the sleeves up and dives in. xoxoxxo
    P.S., between hash browns and the bathroom, insert washing hands (or do the dishes!) But you probably know that.

The teasing over Blagojevich's hair is making me nervous cuz there's no use avoiding the fact that yesterday's haircut left me with a striking resemblance to Mr. Blag's coiffure. Copious amounts of hair gel required to remedy resemblance. The haircutter had a style I've always admired, first seen by me on Julie Christie in "Shampoo," which I told her about. She listened politely but was obviously bored by something so long ago. Haircutter informed me the haircut is called the A-line, long in front, framing the face, short in back. Old-fashioned name is probably just a "bob." In any case, no way would my hair comply.

I think the nation is taking this financial meltdown and string of rampant corporate crimes rather well...too well in fact. Just look at how the citizens of Athens register their disapproval, hanging banners from the Parthenon, not to mention Baghdad. Everyone, grab a shoe and let fly. Maybe dangle shoes from the power lines?

My wimpy weather report as follows: Rained all day yesterday. Sublime. The plain variety of rain (didn't know there was other kinds before idylls.) Today clear skies, temps in the 40s overnight last night. Tonight expected temps in high 30s. I potted on some rooted cuttings this morning, a Blackbird euphorbia and an anthemis Suzanne Mitchell. The euphorbs love the cool winter temps and look fine all winter.

Cindy, I'm so sorry you got snookered into working Saturday. What a Scrooge your boss is! Or possibly just oblivious.

One of the stranger things I've seen lately was Elvis Costello interviewing Bill Clinton about his musical influences. Elvis C. has a show on cable called Spectacle. Lou Reed was the previous week's guest. Lou's holding up...barely, but Clinton was a ball of fire as usual, discussing how jazz playing informed his speaking style, etc.

Kathy, splurge on really good fruit smoothies. Actually, raspberry margaritas would do, wouldn't they?

Sputtering to an abrupt end, waving to all.