Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stairwell

Posted by chelone (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 1, 08 at 17:58

These are the Hemlock posts before any pickling. I've filled big cracks and gaps in more "open" knots.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
And here they are again after 2 coats of pickling and 2 coats of a satin finish clear coat. I rather like the effect the filler had on the overall "figuring" of the wood.

The posts and rails in their places.
The posts are lagged into the framing of the stairwell. We will cover the lags with something decorative. The shims allowed the helpmeet to plumb them up and will be cut away.

The ballusters are being aligned with the rails and are screwed into position at the top and the bottom after being spaced 4" apart.

The entire balluster "unit" is then inserted in between the main rails and is finish nailed into place. I will fill the nailholes.

Only two more "inserts" to go.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stairwell

Wonderful! I'm mightily impressed! I hope you and the helpmeet are patting yourselves on the back with very pleased/satisfied grins on your faces :-)

o

A job well done, and a process well documented!

Atta girl!

V.

o

Truly in helpmeet mode!

o

Nice! I love the openness of your space! I remember now why I like pickled finishes so much. :-) Such nice texture and grain showing through. You both are doing a great job with what I would consider a difficult job to pull off.

:-)

o

Looking good deah!

o

Yep. It is looking great! I think Nolon wishes I had been into doing that type of work, but I am limited in my talents. :-(

( LOL, Norma, I like your New England "deah" ....)

o

Wow, I'm glad you put that puppy up!!Erases potetial safety issues at IU summer camp-one does not wish to see Idyllers falling down the stairs after too many cocktails.

Kathy in Napa

o

Wow!! Tedious, painstaking, but definitely worth the work in the end. Way to go, Chelone!

Martie

o

I'm loving the color scheme, and the pickling choice! I can see your vision coming to fruition!

Can't wait to see it in person :)

Saucy

o

Very impressive! The pickling looks great with the wall color. Have you made a decision on the floor? You and the helpmeet make a great team.

Michelle

o

Thanks guys. I'll get a shot with all the ballusters in place, probably when I begin the hearth project.

I'm pleased with the color scheme, too, Lisa, though some days I'm skeptical about the walls. The vibrancy of the color is just outside my "comfort zone", but I'm determined to live with it until the room is "finished". I think finishing the hearth, the trim around the windows, and the floor is going to "take the edge of it" for me and I'm going to end up loving it.

I've only begun thinking about the floor, Michelle. There is no money in the budget for any sort of "finished" flooring. Besides that, for my trade, use of the floor for large lay-outs is very common. It can be helpful to staple out items to get a clearer picture of the precise shape. I'll probably throw a few coats of deck paint on it and call it, "good to go". Cheap, washable, and would still allow me to staple into it.

Now it's time to tile the hearth and get the stove hooked up. I really, really want to look at my pretty stove without taking the protective box off it first!

o

How about a yankee spattered floor with all your leftover paints flecked in? That'd be fun!

Lisa.

o

I like that idea Saucy!

o

Wow, that's alot of work Chelone. Well done! Looks great. I enjoy seeing the progress on the salon.

Eden

o

Beautiful Chelone!!!!! What a lot of work but the end result is fantastic!
Deanne

o

You and the helpmeet make a great team. It's all coming along beautifully. Bravo!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here