Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelone_gw

Stairwell

chelone
15 years ago

These are the Hemlock posts before any pickling. I've filled big cracks and gaps in more "open" knots.

{{gwi:190054}}
And here they are again after 2 coats of pickling and 2 coats of a satin finish clear coat. I rather like the effect the filler had on the overall "figuring" of the wood.

{{gwi:190056}}

The posts and rails in their places.

{{gwi:190131}}
The posts are lagged into the framing of the stairwell. We will cover the lags with something decorative. The shims allowed the helpmeet to plumb them up and will be cut away.

{{gwi:190134}}

The ballusters are being aligned with the rails and are screwed into position at the top and the bottom after being spaced 4" apart.

{{gwi:190136}}
{{gwi:190138}}

The entire balluster "unit" is then inserted in between the main rails and is finish nailed into place. I will fill the nailholes.

{{gwi:190140}}
{{gwi:190143}}

Only two more "inserts" to go.

Comments (16)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Wonderful! I'm mightily impressed! I hope you and the helpmeet are patting yourselves on the back with very pleased/satisfied grins on your faces :-)

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

A job well done, and a process well documented!

Atta girl!

V.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Truly in helpmeet mode!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Nice! I love the openness of your space! I remember now why I like pickled finishes so much. :-) Such nice texture and grain showing through. You both are doing a great job with what I would consider a difficult job to pull off.

:-)

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Looking good deah!

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Yep. It is looking great! I think Nolon wishes I had been into doing that type of work, but I am limited in my talents. :-(

( LOL, Norma, I like your New England "deah" ....)

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Wow, I'm glad you put that puppy up!!Erases potetial safety issues at IU summer camp-one does not wish to see Idyllers falling down the stairs after too many cocktails.

Kathy in Napa

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Wow!! Tedious, painstaking, but definitely worth the work in the end. Way to go, Chelone!

Martie

• saucydog
    15 years ago

I'm loving the color scheme, and the pickling choice! I can see your vision coming to fruition!

Can't wait to see it in person :)

Saucy

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Very impressive! The pickling looks great with the wall color. Have you made a decision on the floor? You and the helpmeet make a great team.

Michelle

• chelone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys. I'll get a shot with all the ballusters in place, probably when I begin the hearth project.

I'm pleased with the color scheme, too, Lisa, though some days I'm skeptical about the walls. The vibrancy of the color is just outside my "comfort zone", but I'm determined to live with it until the room is "finished". I think finishing the hearth, the trim around the windows, and the floor is going to "take the edge of it" for me and I'm going to end up loving it.

I've only begun thinking about the floor, Michelle. There is no money in the budget for any sort of "finished" flooring. Besides that, for my trade, use of the floor for large lay-outs is very common. It can be helpful to staple out items to get a clearer picture of the precise shape. I'll probably throw a few coats of deck paint on it and call it, "good to go". Cheap, washable, and would still allow me to staple into it.

Now it's time to tile the hearth and get the stove hooked up. I really, really want to look at my pretty stove without taking the protective box off it first!

• saucydog
    15 years ago

How about a yankee spattered floor with all your leftover paints flecked in? That'd be fun!

Lisa.

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

I like that idea Saucy!

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Wow, that's alot of work Chelone. Well done! Looks great. I enjoy seeing the progress on the salon.

Eden

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Beautiful Chelone!!!!! What a lot of work but the end result is fantastic!
    Deanne

• denisez10
    15 years ago

You and the helpmeet make a great team. It's all coming along beautifully. Bravo!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio