woodyoak

Idyll #467 - Happy New Year to all!

Have a great one...!

Comments (101)

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good Morning and Happy New Year

Today is the day of departure with 3 trips to the airport. The first, at 5.30 AM was unbelievably cold with blowing snow - Yuk! Mum was the earliest flight, then DB and family mid morning, with DH leaving this evening. I always feel rather low when everyone leaves and plan to console myself by ordering seeds.

Here are the cousins, with John and I acting as bookends. You can probably tell by the smiling faces what a great time we had together.
    {{gwi:190181}}

Is it is Kathy who has a bright red sofa too?

Mary

• chelone
    14 years ago

Hmmm... the family genes seem to be clearly in evidence, Mary. I know what you mean about feeling a little bit "down" when everyone departs.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Morning all. Have finished reading The Post and doing bills. Time to get to work on the JulieJobs and EAT list, so naturally, here I am!

Mary, marvelous picture. What a treasure you have there-I miss seeing my cousins now that we don't go up to PA for holidays. Who is the musician? I am hoping to be one in my next life. Enjoy the seed buying. The only seed I'm buying these days is bird seed. I have to stop sprinkling some on the patio for the cardinals and doves, though, since the Idiots seem to REALLY like it. How will I explain the weight gain to the vet??? "Well, you see, I put out seed for the birds..." It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

Ei, you may call me anything. No worries. Liked the 45 lessons video.

Wow-Oscar Peterson Trio and Jean Luc Ponty-good start to the year. I do hate those little tapes on CDs, too. Even when I score them, it takes me a while to get them open. Seems as though the plastic wrap (which is also impossible without a knife) should be enough. Makes me realize how really inept I am in some many things.

Eden, I hear what you're saying about the modified calendar. Most of the parents in our district feel the same way. For our families at our school, though, there are no vacation homes, camps, etc. for them. A lot of our kiddoes would go hungry if not for school breakfasts and lunches. Many of our kids do not look forward to weekends or vacations the way a lot of children do. I always try to curb my enthusiasm for the breaks when I am with them because I know they don't really have anything to look forward to when they are not in school. Hard to believe that I work in one of the wealthiest districts in the country!

V, your Chicago trip sounds like it was fun. I've never been. It is on my list of places to go someday. Should probably make it soon before we run out of somedays.

Off to do...something. Later.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Good morning Idylls..

French Roast at hand , watching the sun get up from behind the hills and melt the frost off the rooftops. I have a JJ lined up this morning involving the reorganization of a bookcase that has been nagging at me- a good chore before it warms up enough to go outside. Regan Nursery rose order will be placed today as well.

I used a pocket knife Chelone, but the tape never seems to come off for me cleanly. I do like Jean luc Ponty , but own none of his music. Any particular recommendations ?

Ei, it just so happens that Annies Annuals is on the agenda for IU7 , her display gardens are fabu and well worth a visit.Im including a link to a thread I posted pics on when I went there last summer. I was not the only customer with a camera in hand, lol. Not sure about the lilies yet you are so right, even a chronic overplanter such as myself can usually find someplace to tuck in a few. I wish I had the space for a vegetable garden area I always do a tomato and have lots of herbs. Im hoping if the budget allows I can have some concrete removed on one side of my house to accommodate at least one raised bed.

Eden, I like to go down to the local CD store and browse the used section for jazz , have done pretty well there, but the selection of both new and used jazz locally is really pretty pathetic. I usually end up ordering on Amazon if I am looking for something in particular.

Ditto what Chelone said Mary ! And I do have a red couch , though it is more on the rusty red side. Im very partial to it ! Once all the departures are complete, youll just have to spend some quality time here on the Idylls for moral support ..

Ok, off to bookcase land

Kathy in Napa

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Does bright coral sofa count, Mary? Just a shade removed from red... I've got one in my tropical family room these days. What a great time I bet you had -- lovely smiling familial faces for sure. I suspect you'll enjoy the quiet after a bit of down, and seed ordering sounds grand.

It's chilly but sunny here too - I need to get going but find I'd rather turn to my garden planning which I have totally neglected. Usually by this time I'm already knee deep in plans and online putzing. But I've got a vacuum cleaner disassembled in the living room awaiting my poking -- the result of too many pine needles or something yesterday and an assortment of things still to be hauled from level to level and need to spring into action awaiting magic to happen tomorrow. Also trying to avoid the idea that there is only one more vacation day and then back to reality of work and commuting.

I love that medallion shot, V -- such wonderful details old houses and building hold - glad to see they decided to keep all those great details. Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday with a very varied assortment of social gatherings.

Ei -- what wonderful plans for your gardens -- Michelle has a lovely potager and I recall so does Drema - I bet they'd have lots of ideas for that charming area of your gardens I recall. I hope you'll continue to let us know what you're planning.

So far, I only recall wanting to try the Rudbeckia Cherry Brandy this year that I saw at WFF I think; I need to get out my notes of last year and remind myself ... I am still trying to figure out the faux garden door concept as well... Im hoping to try to restrain myself a bit this year and just shuffle things and plan a bit better rather than my usual over-endulgence. I think some of those monies will go to IU extravagence instead.

Cyn - it must be very frustrating to have your work/program plans changed like that - I know it's not something that is easily done for "let's try for a year" and or then revisit or abandon...I shake my head and wonder how all the states are going to get out of these budgetary woes and not feel that we've stepped back to the mid-20th century.... Keeping my fingers crossed that that it doesnt happen.

Sounds like lots of nesting going on in idyll households - from cooking to cleaning and organizing..... It all makes me hungry! 40 clove chicken sounds terribly intriguing; as yummy as chicken and dumplings does (I havent had dumplings in a decade I bet!)... I guess that's the down to living on the Left Coast, Kathy - not much real down time in the garden is there? You're already pruning and weeding!

Chloe is enjoying being able to run around in her yard altho it's been for short spurts as the wind guests threaten to blow her away - but it's so nice to see the bare ground, even if snow cover offers more protection for plants.

Enjoy the bright wintery day.

-cindy

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

You're right Kathy - some quality time here is just what the doctor ordered:0) The jazz CDs sound fabulous.

Cyn - there is nearly always something musical going on in our household. That is David's double bass in the corner. He plays in a couple of orchestras and just got into the pit for a school production of The King and I. He is the only bassist and as they are doing the full score, not a watered down version he will have his work cut out. His true passion though is classical guitar which he has been playing for 5 years now and continues to love.

Annie and I play violin, though my own playing has dwindled down to occasional quartets and parties. I added up I spend 8 hours a week just waiting while either Annie or David are in lessons or ensembles, and that does not count the driving time. I really don't mind as I share in the pleasure they have from making music and the friendships that have developed. It also gives me some quality time to enjoy a cup of coffee and knit/sew/bead. There will be plenty of time for my violin when the children have gone.

Hi Ei!! Lovely to hear from you again. I have one of those seed bead trees and I made a group of needle felted dogs in scale that surround the tree and help decorate it. I love your glass cloche.

The frigid weather continues and I treated the chickens to a bowl of warm mush - oatmeal and scratch grains cooked up with some warm milk. As a real treat I scattered some pomegranite seeds on top. They were in chicken heaven! Clousseau meanwhile has a nice marrow bone to while the afternoon away with so all are content.

Mary

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Its very, very cold here. Yesterday morning it was 20. This morning is a balmy 5.

We had a small Christmas gathering last night with my son, his GF and my parents. On the menu was Chicken Barley Chili, Zuppa Toscana and Caesar salad. My mom brought homemade dinner rolls and a cream puff dessert. It was a fun but relaxing evening.

When we were shopping on New Years day I scored 2 arbors for my fairy garden for 1.25 each! They were with the Christmas Village accessories and on clearance.

Im curious as to what seeds everyone is ordering.

Im dreading work on Monday the DQ is threatening to quit and with the other employee on maternity leave, I could be in a bind.

Eden, Bellas words about seed planting were so terribly cute and sound like something that would come out of Kenzies mouth. Isnt it fun?

Ei, my fkg is very colorful and probably a little gaudy, so I wont be much help. I actually like it that way. It make me smile especially when I think of how bland it used to be. It was the garden I disliked the most, now its probably one of my favs. It sounds like you have wonderful plans to change up your garden.

Mary, wonderful family photo. Everyone looks so happy.

Kathy, its hard for me to believe you are pruning roses. Most of mine are no longer visible.

Cindy, my DD isnt a bit interesting in family heirlooms or anything thats my taste, including jewelry.

Candy, the frosted window is a work of art.

Im glad to see PM pop in and that GW allowed Martie back in. I know theyve been having lots of problems. Recently over on the Decorating forum all the past posts were wiped out. I havent been over there in a week or so, Im not sure if they have found them back or not.

First on my EAT list is the utensil drawer in the kitchen. I want full drawer extension glides added so I can find whats in the back. I took care of one after lunch today. I had bought new oven mitts, and Im always annoyed that the drawer next to the stove is so full of junk that I cant get my potholders out with out a struggle. I eliminated everything in that drawer except potholders and wax paper since the microwave is near by. Thats how I spend my winter, organizing and refreshing the house so I can spend the rest of the year gardening. Ive purchased paint for the bathroom and hope to start stripping wallpaper soon. I have a few other projects in there as well.

I really should go out a refill the bird feeder. The sun is shining and theres no wind but its still only 1.

I'll leave you with a little of the fun from the other night.

Michelle

{{gwi:190182}}

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

I must say I have never seen Ronald MacDonald with a more welcome site. Michelle and Kenzie together. Grin.

Mary there certainly is family resemblance in that picture. So good to hear you all had a good time. How is Davids hip doing?
    I am admiring those photos on the wall, but havn't quite figured out what the third one is. I'm guessing that is some of DH's work?

V, you certainly did have a varied holiday. I hope you are refreshed and ready to take on the world again.

Cindy, Chelone and all the rest that have to return to work, I don't envy you. I don't miss those days at all. I did enjoy my work, but am glad I don't have to trek out every day.

Kathy and Denise, your being able to enjoy the outdoors sounds great. I am enjoying my winter walks but am still enjoying some down time from garden chores too. Although all this talk about seeds is worming its way into my head.

My ponds are frozen over except where the waterfall runs. I'm hoping They keep running through our extended cold predictions. I would hate to have to pull the pumps.

Keep posting everyone. We need the diversion.

Hi to all. Norma

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

It's not even 6:00 pm but it's been an action-packed day here in V-land! Started out this frigid day playing bells at church, with an interesting twist. The choir was singing, and one of the women had to sit down before the anthem was over. A couple of minutes later, she decided to exit the choir area to get some fresh air, but then I heard a thud back in the sacristy area. I scooted back there to find the woman had passed out and hit the floor! Another bell ringer came back to help, as well as one of the men, but then we realized it was time for the bells to ring. We quickly recruited some other help and I played our anthem with shaking hands. The woman is fine; she was wearing a turtleneck and a very thick, heavy sweater under her choir robe and simply got too warm.

After church, the Great Insane Christmas Tree of 2009 met its demise. The ornaments and lights were packed away and then the heavy-duty loppers came out. As the branches were removed, I arranged them outside over my heuchera plantings. When the snow melts, the foliage will have protection from the hungry, hungry bunnies.

Then of course the cleaning up and rearranging ensued. Things are now back in their rightful places and there is a sense of peace in the house. Or is it just that all those extra people and animals are gone? Mystic definitely is sulking right now.

Kathy and Ei, The Wit is a newer hotel on State Street at Lake. It's a Hilton/Doubletree property but is a trendier hotel than their usual places. A few more photos from the hotel - starting with the lobby light fixtures:

{{gwi:190184}}

The second floor has a library area with several cozy chairs. The books have their spines covered with photos of famous people.

{{gwi:190185}}

And back to the Cultural Center, which is home to the world's largest Tiffany dome.

{{gwi:190186}}

Yes, it's a good thing that this building was saved and restored. Chelone, the building is considered "neo-classical" in style.

Ei, the Sears Tower is now the Willis Tower (close but no cigar!) and the last place in the world that you will find me is on their overlook. Not my cuppa tea!

Julie, I think my DH must have read your post. This morning, he started walking around the house with a planer, checking the fit of all the doors and adjusting them as needed. But in the style of a true Exempt AT, he left the wood shavings where they fell.

Love the photos of Mary's family and Ronald and friends. Both have a surfeit of happy smiles in them!

Back to work tomorrow. I can't say that I am looking forward to it, but I will say that I am ready to face it again after a nice break. I am looking forward to speaking at a trade show later this month, and will be looking for ways to network and be a bit more creative and inspired in what I am doing. I have a major vacation scheduled for March, and after that? Well, "We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity . . ."

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

We're back home...and I'm reading along and enjoying it all.

Phoebe is with us and very tired from her 10 days with a 6 month old puppy and 2 little girls who adored her.

Lots to catch up on, but here are a few shots of our minus 25C (-13F)Christmas walk for the time being:
    {{gwi:190187}}

{{gwi:190194}}

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Another 8 roses pruned today, and two dug up and dispatched to the yard waste, both are (were) in serious decline. I havent started on the climbers yet (other than the editing of Cecile Bruner) and those always take time- ladders are involved . I have piles of rose parts everywhere, as my yard waste and back up receptacles have been full since the day after they were picked up . It looks like mild weather for the next several says , with Denise-like temps so I hope to get the bush roses finished next weekend, on to the climbers after that.

Im very pleased with my work on the bookshelves this morning-I have a bag filled to be donated to the library and was able to clear up the piles of books that were starting to collect on tables etc. due to lack of shelf space.

V, Ive stayed in both the Palmer House and the Chi. Hilton, and nice to know there is an interesting new entry. If it is on the list for the trade show next August I might give it a try. Im partial to the view from the ladies room at the bar on the 96th floor of the John Hancock myself. ! Ive taken many people there over the years (the bar, not the ladies room , lol) and its interesting to see the different reactions..some prefer to be back from the windows and some like to be right up against them. I love visiting Chicago . Talk about architecture the best and most diverse in the US as far as Im concerned.

Michelle, Im so glad you got to spend time with Kenzie . I know what it means to you..and her too I expect . I have my Michelle seeds for next year after my experience with Celosia spicata Flamingo Feather I am going to direct sow the darker version you sent me. I came to the conclusion that they disliked being transplanted. Im presently pondering the Thompson Morgan catalog. I think my Amaranth viridis will self sow, but Im going to start some just case ..really liked them.

Cindy I remember that Cherry Brandy ..Im going to do Coconut Lime this year ..if I can find it. I bet if you looked through your pics, or the Idyll threads from IU it would remind you of the must-haves-which there are always too many of !

Norma, it is nice to be able to get outside in winter . January is usually very rainy here so the next week will be cherished,

All for tonight ..time to whip up some enchiladas..adios !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Yes Kathy, Thompson & Morgan was in my mailbox when I returned. I was folding over pages while seated by the fire this evening...mostly vegetables though.

And this too arrived in my mailbox :)
    Hundreds gather to protest global warming!
    {{gwi:190196}}

• candy_j
    14 years ago

After spending two days PITCHING I have 2 large bags for donation and another for the hauling. And Im not anywhere near done! Sorting slows me down, making piles, trying on clothing, rearranging and then culling through again to make the second cut. DH is no help, wanting to keep every shirt he owns and he has so many they never wear out. Our house is not overly large and every few years. when all the storage has been filled, there has to be a mass exodus. I want to start painting our bedroom in February so Im allowing plenty of time to get this done.

Ei, thanks for the close up of your special robin. I was wondering what was in the cloche from the table photo in the last Idyll but we were running full speed with that title and it slipped my mind. I love that its really a cake stand instead, great idea! Be sure to post the other two creations when you get them done, OK?

Vwhat a busy week! Your photos are wonderful; that color of turquoise blue in the light fixtures and Tiffany dome are simply breathtaking! Really like the one of your DH in the lobby through the grating, too. Amazed you managed to catch him alone without a lot of people in the picture.

Glad you had a nice visit with your family, Mary, the picture says it all.

Michelle, great to see you and Kenzie together looking so happy!

I loved the Annies Annuals pictures, Kathy, what a fun place. Lots of repurposed containers and neat ideas, Im sure. Thanks for the burst of color on a grey day!

Time to confess, at the risk of expulsion or at least 6 months probation that.I dont grow seeds. There, Ive said it and stand before you, shamed. No basement, no porch, no utility room, not even a bay window to even give it a try inside. My results at direct sowing were pathetic; not even sure what I did wrong. And I might as well tell you, I cant keep houseplants alive either unless theyre some pothos or philodendron. So whats your secret Marian? Ei says youve got lovely houseplants so I hope you post photos and a tutorial on taking care of them. Oh, and I had to google a slipper orchid, wow! They are so exotic looking; and I do know that orchids are not the easiest houseplants to grow.

Welcome back, bug! In a way, I bet youre ready to get back home to Phoebe and normal routine. Looking forward to more of your pictures but these first two remind me not to complain about the cold weather here! Oh, and someone mentioned you posted window frost photos quite a while ago? Id love to see them if its possible to repost. You and your camera team up for the most marvelous photography so I know they must be fantastic!

Norma, I didnt know you had ponds??.and a waterfall?! Where are the pictures? Please take a few while youre out on a walk!

Hi to Cyn, Cindy, Chelone and everybody elseenjoyed reading your posts the last couple of days during a short break in my PITCH program.

Misc. Pic of the day:
    Came around a corner of the side yard last fall and froze in my tracks. My mind did not register it as a huge mushroom at first. I thought it was a coiled snake squeezing it's prey.
    After spending two days PITCHING I have 2 large bags for donation and another for the hauling. And Im not anywhere near done! Sorting slows me down, making piles, trying on clothing, rearranging and then culling through again to make the second cut. DH is no help, wanting to keep every shirt he owns and he has so many they never wear out. Our house is not overly large and every few years. when all the storage has been filled, there has to be a mass exodus. I want to start painting our bedroom in February so Im allowing plenty of time to get this done.

Ei, thanks for the close up of your special robin. I was wondering what was in the cloche from the table photo in the last Idyll but we were running full speed with that title and it slipped my mind. I love that its really a cake stand instead, great idea! Be sure to post the other two creations when you get them done, OK?

Vwhat a busy week! Your photos are wonderful; that color of turquoise blue in the light fixtures and Tiffany dome are simply breathtaking! Really like the one of your DH in the lobby through the grating, too. Amazed you managed to catch him alone without a lot of people in the picture.

Glad you had a nice visit with your family, Mary, the picture says it all.

Michelle, great to see you and Kenzie together looking so happy!

I loved the Annies Annuals pictures, Kathy, what a fun place. Lots of repurposed containers and neat ideas, Im sure. Thanks for the burst of color on a grey day!

Time to confess, at the risk of expulsion or at least 6 months probation that.I dont grow seeds. There, Ive said it and stand before you, shamed. No basement, no porch, no utility room, not even a bay window to even give it a try inside. My results at direct sowing were pathetic; not even sure what I did wrong. And I might as well tell you, I cant keep houseplants alive either unless theyre some pothos or philodendron. So whats your secret Marian? Ei says youve got lovely houseplants so I hope you post photos and a tutorial on taking care of them. Oh, and I had to google a slipper orchid, wow! They are so exotic looking; and I do know that orchids are not the easiest houseplants to grow.

Welcome back, bug! In a way, I bet youre ready to get back home to Phoebe and normal routine. Looking forward to more of your pictures but these first two remind me not to complain about the cold weather here! Oh, and someone mentioned you posted window frost photos quite a while ago? Id love to see them if its possible to repost. You and your camera team up for the most marvelous photography so I know they must be fantastic!

Norma, I didnt know you had ponds??.and a waterfall?! Where are the pictures? Please take a few while youre out on a walk!

Hi to Cyn, Cindy, Chelone and everybody elseenjoyed reading your posts the last couple of days during a short break in my PITCH program.

Misc. Pic of the day:

Came around the corner of the side yard last fall and froze in my tracks. My mind didn't register that this was a huge mushroom. I thought it was a coiled snake squeezing it's prey.
    {{gwi:190197}}

• candy_j
    14 years ago

Sorry about that double post and misplaced caption. Must have hit a wrong key but then I'm tired and probably need chocolate.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Messing around with the photo files tonight..hope y'all will post some of your 2009 garden pics.Deanne taught me to take lots of shots and then get rid of the bad ones-I 'm good at taking the shots but have an issue with the get-rid-of part !

These are taken around my garden in May and June. Hard to imagine it ever looked like this compared with what it looks like today !

Looking forward to seeing some pics from everyone.

This same view looks like a patch of mud and dry sticks today . {{gwi:190199}}From 2009 in Review

More roses, my weakness {{gwi:190201}}From 2009 in Review

This Magnolia was dying when I took this photo and is now gone. Though it made a nice background, I am thankful for the sun that has been let in. {{gwi:190202}}From 2009 in Review

In my front garden, the pink is our Lady of Guadalupe, one of my best performing roses. {{gwi:190203}}From 2009 in Review

Liked this combo, but the Rudbeckia eventually ate Casablanca alive. The shovel is poised next to this monster as we speak. {{gwi:190205}}From 2009 in Review

Kathy in Napa

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Okay, that's a good series of pictures! Mary and brother make perfect bookends to cousins! GB, what a frigid day for a walk, but everyone looks happy and healthy and bundled up appropriately!

V., I love all of your photos, and with Kathy, I am taking a class in the spring, too! Just on a different coast. You've come a long way! I hope your updating your blog with your travels...finding a plant here and there (Christmas trees must count?).

Michelle, the picture of you and Kenzie is great...you certainly don't look like her grandmother! I'm so glad you both got to get together. Making memories...

I love the masses that showed up to protest global warming - cute picture. I liked the mushroom, too. I wouldn've thought it a snake at first, too!

Candy, I can't keep plants alive in the house, either, and I only grow seeds telling myself not to fret if they don't make it to the garden (though last year I had success with a lot of things...it just depends on what the year brings me!). You're still welcome here. For a while I thought I might lose my membership as I had a couple of years where my heart just wasn't in it :)

Kathy, I can't wait to see it in person!

I was thinking about the cold harsh life my bees are living right now. I have been looking through catalogs at seeds, too, but also at mason bees, and think I'll do it this year! I'm going to grow both colors of amaranth this year, Kathy, as well as more castor beans. Last year's weather wasn't right for my tropical garden, but I'm going for it again!

Later gators!

Saucy

• chelone
    14 years ago

Cheery morning shots, Kathy. All is white and still outside the windows here. ;) I'm home again today, one more day in the Salon before the return to the inevitable. I was distinctly irritated by the interruption and tone of yesterday's telephone call informing me of this latest example of disorganization.

I assembled the newly refurbished bookcase, added the new back pcs. and began collecting and organizing my books for placement on the shelves. I have them neatly sorted into categories and realize I have plenty of room to add more! On a sad note, I went through a couple of boxes from THTTF and stumbled upon a picture of my recently deceased friend and melted down immediately. I still bear the trademark swollen eyes this morning. I have determined it's my destiny to be periodically destroyed by the awfulness of his death which beats the hell out of being completely destroyed by it, I suppose.

Candy, I don't fart around with seeds, either. I have no place for a seed starting set up, either. Neither do I think I'd be predisposed to fussing over them for the amount of time required. I didn't even bring in any geraniums last fall. The only greenery in my home are 3 rapidly dessicating fern-type things on a windowsill. I've debated transplanting them to a large planter and relocating them to the Salon but there is every liklihood that will never happen. The extent of my winter digging is mining for cat tubers a couple of times a day.

Welcme home, 'bug, bet the cats were some glad to have you back in the rack, huh? We refer to ourselves as giant hot water bottles for our pride. How about an update on your gimpy dog?

How much insurance do you think they carry on the world's largest Tiffany Dome? I was thinking that it must be exceptionally well photographed and documented as a safeguard to any unfortunate occurence.

Time to get about my business, I suppose.

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Good cold morning all....

Re: growing seeds. I pretty much stopped doing that when our GDs were small. The set-up of sprouting seeds took too much room, and was to tempting for little hands to investigate. Also, having the two cats indoors hampered the seed growing. I will not do that again because of all the other drawbacks.
    Candy, I really appreciate all you kind words about my houseplant success. I really have no secret. I guess it is just a talent that was bestowed on me. I am not all that much of an expert. I very seldom fertilize. I water very sporadically. I do occasionally groom the ones that are most visible. I try to chose exposure that is the most appropriate for each variety, according to the 'experts'. :-)
    I am including a link to my PT albums for your enjoyment. Keep in mind, I chose the best plants, and views of them, to post. I have many that are not at all handsome......surviving, but not pretty!

There are too many albums....just chose the ones that are of interest to you.

Marian

• Full_Bloom
    14 years ago

Thanks for reminding me Cindy...

Michelle & Drema I sure would love to see of your Potagers again if you wouldn't mind posting a few pics when you have the time?

Great pic of Ronald and the girls...I love that look of glee on Kenzie's face. Michelle when I think of your garden and if I was going to describe it with a "g" word...it surely wouldn't be gaudy, more like glorious. I don't have a problem with color...in fact I'm a color floozy. :-) It's just that I really don't like where the FKG is...I wanted it in the center of the yard, but placed it where it is because of drainage issues. Anyway, the reason I'm thinking the fkg would be better more subdued is because there is already so much going on around it. I'll wait until I can get some pics together to show you what I mean. I am serious about wanting advice from everyone. I wish I knew the Idylls when I first installed the fkg...I know you would have steered me in the right direction and have come up with a better solution.

Lol V...guess I really *didn't* remember the new name for the Sears Tower. I'll get it down in my mind surely by the time I'm eighty. I *still* have a hard time calling Marshall Fields "Macy's". I love those light fixtures...they look Native American to me, in an Art Deco style...what a statement! Are you afraid of heights?

The coral couch sounds lovely Cindy and I'm loving the idea of a tropical theme (it's 5 degrees here) :-) This year I want to get Echinacea 'Tomato Soup'?...I think that's what it's called. I have just the spot that needs that color. I also have my eye on Dicentra 'Burning Hearts'. It's a deep hot red and I think it would be perfect in the dry river bed out front. I haven't seen 'Cherry Brandy',but I love the name.

Great couch Mary. Count me in with everybody else in saying what a lovely family you have...such warm and happy faces. I bet the tree with your needle felted dogs is wonderful. I would love to see a pic if you wouldn't mind sharing. I remember all the sweet needle felted animals you were doing. I also remember a beautiful wool purse you made...I think for your SIL? Have you tried needle felting a chicken yet? :-)

Lovely pics Bug...I can't get over how big Skylar is getting too! He's maturing so quickly...seems like just yesterday you shared pics of a sweet impish little boy and now he is already turning into a handsome young man. How is he adjusting to his new hearing world?

Cyn...I'm sorry either I missed out on what you do or I wasn't here when you were sharing with everyone...are you a teacher? In the city of Chicago it's the same thing...so many of the kids really *want* to be at school. They see school as a safe haven from the streets. It breaks my heart to think about it. When I say my prayers I always add a special prayer that any child who is suffering tonight will somehow find comfort and security in the belief that someone truly loves them and that they find the strength to believe in themselves. I admit I cry sometimes at night when I lie in bed and the thought comes over me that somewhere out there right now is a child who is suffering...sometimes the feeling is almost unbearable. I'm truly grateful for people like you. BTW, what kind of dogs do you have? Again, I apologize if you've already shared that with everyone...I'm still trying to get up to speed.

Kathy, before I re-read Cindy's post, I thought the two of you were talking about imbibing. Thanks for sharing the Annie pictures...what a charming and whimsical place. I'd love to see Annies and all of you too of course and don't need any encouragement to see beautiful California again. Things are kind of tight right now, but who knows, maybe I'll find a job before then. What a treat seeing sunny skies and things a bloom...you're gardens are lovely! Spring is my favorite season. BTW...do you ever go to Muir Woods? It's my most favorite places. When I'm out there I go really early in the morning before the crowds get there and it really is a spiritual experience for me.

I'm happy to report I now have my own copy of Up. :-) Chelone...I think that's really neat that you and DH saw it on your anniversary...how perfect! So sorry about the painful reminder of your friend ((Chelone)).

Eden...I'm sorry if I missed your telling about it and I'm sorry to hear your cats aren't feeling well. What is wrong with them? I do hope they are all feeling back to their old selves soon!

Candy, no worries about double posts...it happens to the best of us. Well, I don't know about the best of us, but it's definitely happened to me. Re the seed starting...have you tried winter sowing? I've never tried it, but have heard many people talk about what luck they've had with it. You actually sow the seed in plastic jugs outside in winter and by spring they have sprouted and supposedly are healthier than those you would have started inside (since they've been exposed to the elements.). At least that's my simplified explanation of it. Maybe someone here has done it before and would share. Marian can grow *anything*...she's amazing. She has shared some wonderful pics of her orchids, violets, and houseplants and maybe she will share some again. I always think about what a treat it must be to have so many green and blooming things in the house when all is cold and dark outside. Wish I had the knack. :-)

Norma's ponds & gardens are wonderful. She has done such a beautiful job with everything. I love the country feel of her gardens and she really has a talent for making everything look like it naturally grows wherever she's planted it. I found a link from when Norma shared pics of the pond & waterfall. It was a real treat for me and I know you will enjoy them too...

So you leave your pumps on all winter, Norma? Is it better for the fish to keep the pumps going? Now you have me worried. I've always pulled the pump out thinking that was the best thing to do, and haven't had a problem. But, would the fish be happier if I kept the pump running? Does the size of the pond make a difference? My pond is small.

Saucy...I'd bee interested in knowing what the bees do in winter. I'm guessing that they hibernate like bears, but I bet you have a lot more information about their secret little world in winter and I would love to hear more...I'm fascinated by bees. One of these days I think I'd like to try to have my own.

Gotta get to Leslie...TTYL!

Ei

• candy_j
    14 years ago

I am in a rush!crisis nursery this morning and then some errands. Never should I come here when time is short; thats when I find all kinds of reading and photos.

Kathy, Im almost blinded by the color in those pics but the green just leaps out at me this time of year. Hope you are photo documenting those areas now to show us some construction and after shots.

Marian! Do not break your link, please. No way am I going to pick and choose. I want to view it at my leisure and am thrilled to see you have shared so many organized albums. What a treat for winter viewing! Maybe bookmarking it will ensure me access?

And Ei, thanks for the link with Normas pond pics. I had no clue these ponds were so magnificent. Should have known better with an Idyll though. Norma, I wont be caught off guard by your understatements again, lol. And how neat to see that swing arbor you mentioned that was covered with clematis. Time for a walk, Normalets see it in winter.

Chelone, I feel much better knowing you dont grow seeds and Saucy has had hit and miss years.

OK, must leave NOW.

• chelone
    14 years ago

I've spent the morning in the Salon organizing, sorting, and throwing things out. The old Lab. is looking pretty chaotic about now, however, but I've resolved to get the Salon squared away before turning my attention to the final disinfection of the Lab.. While I sorted thread (integrating the crop from THTTF which was as big as the one I have amassed) the helpmeet measured and cut the cleats and the legs for the workbench for MY half of the garage. I am thrilled because this will mean I'll have a proper place to put my "manly" tools and have a place to do the "dirty" jobs. It will also free up space and eliminate a source of clutter in the Salon. The stated goal is to use only materials on hand to accomplish the project (lord knows we have enough of them!), further whittling away yet more clutter. I wait with bated breath hopeful of timely completion ever grateful that no fit of pique was required to get the project underway. ;)

I heard protective barking about mid-morning and looked out the window to see Wrecks charging down the driveway sporting the full Mohawk. Evidently some poor slob had decided to turn around in our driveway and Mr. Mindeveryoneelse'sbusiness took great offense. Suffice it to say the car was jammed into reverse and peeled out of the driveway in record time. Wrecks arrived at the end of the driveway just in time to inhale exhaust fumes and just stood there looking confused with his tail wagging back and forthe. He couldn't quite figure out why no one wanted to greet him with the same enthusiasm he'd just displayed... lol.

The helpmeet has been poring over the Johnny's Selected Seeds catalogue deciding on what produce he will plant for our consumption later this year. The new footprint of Vegetable World is defined by fence posts but not yet fully enclosed, nor has the irrigation or the wiring for lights been layed in place. I have doubts about the thoroughness of the drainage he's instituted but since the ground has frozen it's not reallly fair of me to pronounce it a "half-assed" attempt just yet. ;) I have lobbyed hard for it to be less "utilitarian" and more of a "design element" and while the transformation may not occur in one season I see that it has fine potential. I think frequently of Michelle's lovely potager as I gaze across the driveway at it.

I love this time of year for the opportunity it accords us to see the yard in an unadorned state. It's easier to imagine what could be without the distraction of too much growth to impede the imagination. I've been bitten by the design bug with respect to the inside of the driveway. Just some very basic thoughts at this stage and some very important questions relating to reworking the area around the base of the big maple without killing the tree. I have, as yet, kept my lip zipped so as not to incite panic in the helpmeet...

Thoughts on family:
    It was a delight to see Michelle and Kenzie mugging for the camera with Ronald McDonald; I am sure her strong family connection will see her through the stress that so worries her grandmother. Worries, too, I hope will be soon allayed.

Miss Ivy in her blankie sling with her brother and her Daddy remind me that life continues after tragedy but only if you are wise enough to allow it to do so. A good and timely reminder in the depth of winter.

The potential result of momentary pleasure must be stressed to all young people and considered before indulgence. Many of us are very disapproving when saddled with the societal pricetag of such thoughtlessness. NO child should dread "vacation" for want of safety, food, or warmth. Makes my blood boil when contemplating the grim realities social servants face daily when confronted with innocent victims.

OK, time to get on down to the Lab. and do some more sorting, sifting, and create more piles of items for the Salon and the workbench area... this will free up the 3/4" plywood counter top that will soon be recycled as a workbench top!

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Candy, these are for you, from '08.

{{gwi:188462}}

{{gwi:188463}}

DH is sick so I'm off to help him get medicated. (a cold, and yes, he had both vaccines)
    Later!

• chelone
    14 years ago

Who could imagine that frost on windows could be so pretty? I meant to tell Ei. how much I appreciated the winter photography in her linked piece. It really does give winter the sort of appreciative look it deserves.

So much for vaccinating for 'flu, huh, 'bug?

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Baby its cold out there! -20 this a.m. and a town about an hour away reported 34.

Seeing Normas ponds again is really quite a treat.

Im anxious to hear more about bugs trip and Im sure there are more pictures. Ivy looks just as the saying goes "as cute as a bug in a rug"

Chelone, hugs to you as you work your way through your grief. LOL on the cat tubers.

Saucy, my tropical garden failed miserably last year too. The 2 years before it really was a delight.

Kathy, that first picture is my absolute favorite. The roses are incredible.

Candy, I ran across one of those mushrooms this fall too. I had never seen one before.

The Tiffany dome is quite amazing V.

Ive done the indoor seed starting a few times but failed miserably. Wintersowing seems to work well for me. Houseplants are not my thing either and I just barely keep alive my plants under lights Yikes! when was the last time I watered them?

I guess I really should put the Christmas decorations away.

Michelle

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Okay, I KNOW I posted last night, but I must not have hit that final submit. ADD-it's catching dontchaknow! I know I told Michelle that I loved her pic with Kenzie who looks oh-so-happy and talked to Mary about wanting to be a musician in my next life, and to everyone else, too. So frustrating to lose all that. Oh well-probably saved all of you from a touch of tedium.

Anyway, I will be back tomorrow-worked on jobs all day around here and plan to tuck in with the Sunday crossword.

Ei, I will take time to tell you I am a teacher-special education. I know what you mean about the kids. I can't tell you how often I wish I could just bring them home with me!

See you all tomorrow.

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Wonderful pictures on this thread.

V, those lights are sure pretty, and I liked the one of DH through the grid also. Good composing.

Kathy, loved seeing your summer garden. I would love roses too if I could grow them like you do.

Candy, I see why you were startled by the mushroom.

Bugs family in the snow is a treat, as are the frosty windows.

Ei's robin lends a summery note, and Ei I even enjoyed the link to my pond pics. Nice to see it in it's summer finery instead of the frozen barren look that it is now. There is only one large fantail goldfish in there right now. He would be fine if I took the pump out, but I would rather leave it running. I did lose a lot of frogs one year when it wasn't running.

Michelle, I won't complain about our cold. Yours is worse.

Chelone, hope the workbench gets completed in a timely manner.

Bug I enjoyed your photo threads.

Nothing new here today. Norma

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

I went back to work with a good attitude and ran smack into the same old, same old. The dingbat coworker opened her personal email titled "Funny Video" and got her computer infected almost before she had her coat off. I would be more tolerant if this wasn't the fifth or sixth time this has happened. It was almost noon before I had it cleaned up.

The good news is that the boss seems to be in a better mood than he was before the holidays. I hope this lasts!

I don't think I had shared any photos from the ice storm the hit us on the 23rd. Here's a view of the ginkgo bed:

{{gwi:190208}}

And for contrast, how about a little riotous summer color?

{{gwi:165063}}

I finished reading "The Help" today. What a great book! I highly recommend this one if you have not read it.

Now to finish a little more clean up and get to bed early.

V.

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Did I recommend The Help, too? I loved it (if I didn't).

Loving all the pictures here :)

Saucy

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Yes, I'm all for Spring color...NOW!
    May 13-2009
    {{gwi:190209}}

Norma, Little Ivy is not even 17 pounds...(less than I need to lose this winter!)She's a tiny little thing, but oh so full of energy! Busy busy!
    Although Skyler has hearing difficulties, it all seems to improve bit by bit due to innovations in the field. He needs to concentrate and calm down, and if concentrating on music pleases him, GREAT! Whatever he hears, it is his life to work at. Anything that will help, I'm all for. He is thrilled with the idea of guitar lessons at the moment, but once it becomes actual work, I'm not sure what will happen and how his mother will respond to it all. We shall soon see.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Happy Monday everyone, it was a fairly smooth re-entry into the awfice today, since everyone else I deal with had multiple days off there was not the 100 plus e-mails and 15 plus voice mails that usually accompany a week away.

I will admit to have taken a vacation from seed starting and the Idylls rekindled my interest , and I had fun doing it in my garage last year. Chelone, once you get the Lab emptied out, what a good spot to set up some lights etc..maybe the helpmeet and his Johnnies catalog need to move in there.

Cyn, many of us compose our posts in MS Word and then copy and paste into the text box on GW. If the post is saved in your documents it is easy to re-post if you have an incident.

Ei , I am so glad you are hanging around posting once more ! I am afraid I dont visit Muir Woods too often. I and my family go about 4 hours drive north to Humboldt County where the old growth redwood forests are..and you are right , the redwood forest is a very spiritual place; my late DH loved it and that it where we (the family) scattered his ashes . I will be escorting the IU7 crowd through the redwoods in Mendocino County and will leave time on the schedule; I know we have several Idylls who have never visited the redwoods, and it's right on the way to 2 of our gardens.

Good show V, the winter and summer scenes.

If any of you who are considering IU7 have not received and e-mail from me in the last 3 days or so, please let me know. I am trying to get a head count; believe it or not there are some hotels already booked for June and I want to acquire some group space if at all possible; lodging is expensive here .

Ok, thats all for me tonight, I hope others will post some scenes from their summer gardens !

Kathy in Napa

• candy_j
    14 years ago

Stunningthank you, bug! It looks like ferns, so finely etched and glistening in detail.

Chelone, Vegetable World must be quite a Disney production what with irrigation and did you say wiring for lights?!" What kind of light system does he have in mind?

Marian, I started with the houseplant albums and what a surprise! You have an amazing collection, mostly ones Ive never seen. Cant believe you have an Angel Wing Begonia that came from your MIL years ago! I notice you seem to have good lighting, lots of windows and a sliding door which must provide a bright environment the plants love. But youve definitely got a special touch and probably sense what they need individually! The Episcia caught my eye with unusual leaves that look like needlework or some kind of stitching. Neomarica gracilis reminds me of colorful plant life you see on coral reefs, but oh my!the phals, with their pale sherbet colors of lemon, lime and peach blending into one another. The one from Ei must be a favorite for you. And that new dark red one is so strikingly beautiful. Thank you again for posting your albums, Im going to enjoy them all.

So many great photos on this title, I cant wait to see what everyone comes up with tomorrow!

Misc. pic of the day:
    {{gwi:190210}}

• saucydog
    14 years ago

I miss summer....though I see I need more plants (there are still bare spots! and I could take the stickers off the new skylights!)

{{gwi:190211}}

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Great shot Saucy ! I had thought of taking a pic from an upstairs window, but the cleanliness factor prevented it, lol. That deck just looks like the place to be ...

Kathy in Napa

• denisez10
    14 years ago

Cyn, funny about you feeling sure you posted -- I feel certain that I read it, about your wanting to study music.

Misty tearing into presents was a great start to this thread. Those ears say Skye Terrier to me.

I have Chelone's "denial of West Coast" syndrome when it comes to snow. I stare hard at the photos hoping the reality seeps in, but all I see is great beauty and can't imagine the day-to-day of living with such cold temps. And the frost etchings! I described that and other phenomena to Marty, who said that growing up they would gently remove the ice cloaks from leaves and hold a perfect frozen leaf cast in their palm, then pop them in their mouth!

Temps here are 70s during the day, dipping into 40s at night, no rain forecast for the week. Marty's coming off four night watches, so he'll either collapse into an early bed or we'll head to some movies we've missed.

Most of my seed starting was done in the fall. Great germination rate, but have already lost all the clary sage plants -- those are always miffy for me. Larkspur was dug up by the cats and is no more so will try a spring sowing. Poppies from Annies planted in fall are now big plants already in bud...which doesn't bode well for a coherent spring show if the poppies are bloomed out by March. Tulips are nosing up in their pots too. Hellebores, mine all green-flowered corsicans, are in bloom. No photos of any of the above, but here's 'Jaws' taken with an Olympus Pen camera I'm buying off Mitch:

{{gwi:190212}}

Work is slow this week, no jobs in sight yet. My car's clutch blew out mid December and is due back today. Luckily I was a few blocks from home, just returning from a busy freeway trip, and was able to roll in first gear all the way home. Lots of reading in my "outpost" (bath house) at night, putting away the holiday stuff, and fooling around with stencils on the east fence:

{{gwi:190215}}

Mitch stayed at a hostel over New Year's at the Marin Headlands, a place we often took the boys when young, just over the Golden Gate Bridge. Too bad it's 50 miles from Napa, because it's a stunning site, close to the City, and the hostel is comprised of grand old bldgs where idyls could bunk together -- very cheap -- and available late June.

Julie's EAT program elicited some chortles, esp. about bureaucrats lovin' the acronyms, which brings to mind some of the worst depos I've endured involving the NASD, the SEC, EBITDA, etc. Painting in the sunroom off the kitchen is almost done, and the cracks in the kitchen ceiling now top the EAT list. Saucy's advice last year to get a good plasterer may be acted upon this year!

Saucy, it sounds like you're starting off the new year with a head of steam up, getting out the resume. Good for you!

Kathy, your dedication to pruning shows in your rose photos, the blooms beautifully arranged over the bush.

This thread holds a treasury of photos. Wonderful to see idyll grandparents united with distant grandkids. And I think it's a good idea to recycle summer photos in winter, where we can extract every last detail from them in a garden-deprived state. Loved seeing Norma's ponds again and Saucy's Terrapin Station in its summer glory, not to mention the field trip to Chicago!

On a bizarre note, my eldest brother, traveling in England since October, just called in to my mom yesterday and found out dad died in November. So he wants all the details from my mom, which pitches her into quite the state. So much easier if everyone in the family experiences the event in real time! His cell phone was useless in England, for some reason. I'm going to head over to my mom's this morning with Ein to get them both out for a walk.

It is great to "read" Ei again and get to know the newer idylls. Keep it coming, ladies!

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Denise, your stenciling seems Scandinavian to me, and so I thought of Carl Larsen's wife Karin, who stenciled and wove beautiful designs. I searched on the web for some of her work...and found none. But if you look at some of Carl's paintings, you can see some of her cushions and tablecloths. As I looked through some of these, I saw things that I had not seen before, namely all the indoor plants they kept, Carl's pipe, and so on.

Sorry to read about your brother having to catch up on family news. It must indeed be hard on your mother.

Heat wave here today...20F.

Poor DH had his first class today. I'm not sure what kind of first impression you make on 18-25 year olds when you are 69 and full of germs.

In a few minutes a friend is bringing his 80 year old mother and a brother over for a visit. They are here from Switzerland. I hope their car manages our laneway, which is in its annual "luge event" mode, covered in ice.

Later,
    'bug

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Another snow photo for today:

{{gwi:190217}}

And here is my DIL's comment on the photo, "Here, we find the Canis lupis familiaris Mysticus searching for the evasive poopsicle. Let's watch to see if he catches his prey."

Yes, I love her sense of humor!

As a kid growing up in the city, I was sure that water lilies were something incredibly exotic that only grew in some unobtainable location. So I secretly feel very smug to know that I have a large, healthy plant wintering under the ice of the pond that will kick out these amazing flowers next summer.

{{gwi:190219}}

Saucy, I remembered that someone else had read The Help and wasn't sure who it was. I had a chuckle at the very end of the book, when the author noted that she was told that Shake 'n' Bake was not around in 1962 but that she decided to keep the reference in the book anyway. I puzzled over that when I read it in the book as I was sure that SNB was not around then! I also have a vague memory of a dress or skirt with lots of pleats that my mother used to have my grandmother's "ironing lady" iron for us.

I got some little, annoying clean-up jobs done when I arrived home this evening, but now I feel like I'm running out of steam quickly. I have to prepare a presentation for our church's budget meeting on Sunday so I shall have to find some energy reserves to get me through!

Denise, I love the agave shot. Did I mention I am got two agaves for Christmas? They won't arrive until late February, though. Sorry for the kerfuffle with your brother. It's got to be so hard for your mom to rehash all of that now.

Saucy, great shot of the deck and yard!

V.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

The Fabu mantle Display is officially no more, and the rest of the evening has been spent in responding to IU7 e-mails and compiling info from same. If there is anyone here who is not on the e-mail list for IU7 , and wishes to be, please let me know and I will add you. I am trying to get a ballpark head count so I can book some group rate space in towns where lodging can be $$. Ive been fiddleing around with the garden itinerary and think I might have a rough draft to send out soon. And thanks to all who have responded thus far.

Denise, that looks like one nice camera ! Im just chomping at the bit to take my photo classes in March. We were promised high 60s this week , but it failed to come to fruition, dont think it got over 50 today here-which I suppose seems sauna-like to our cold climate compadres. My Corsican hellbores are budded , as is H. foetida , and others are blooming. Got to get the tulips planted this weekend without fail! Nice stencil action.. you have to make use of every surface when you are in the dinky lots we endure here in Calif. Ahh, the Marin Headlands ! However, the Mendocino Headlands are on the agenda, and may be even more dramatic , though not as high. Too bad we dont have time to take in Big Surthe ultimate in Calif coastal experiences. My BIL was in China when his Mom (my DMIL) passed away unexpectedly..this was in the 80s so my DH and I spent a lot of time trying to make contact I think it took us 2 days, no cell phones etc back then. He could not get out of China for the funeral. Good vibes to your Mom.

V, I thought I was looking at Ms Phoebe for a moment !

Candy, very nice DL photo !

Ill make a contribution tonight, a couple from IU6 to wet the appetite

Sleep well my friends.

Kathy in Napa

White Flower Farm..a real treat ! This was one of many photos I took of their long border. {{gwi:174865}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

Lookee here, exchanging adresses on The Compound with Vegetable World only a few feet out of view.. {{gwi:190220}}From Idyllunion 6 July 2009

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Yoo-hooo ?

• denisez10
    14 years ago

Those Larsen paintings are lovely, esp. the ones featuring plants. The tension of ornate design in an austere setting really appeals to me.

Today was a fortunate day in that I stumbled upon the invention which will enable me to purchase two acres in the PNW -- mop shoes! If you've seen these already advertised on commercial tv, don't tell. Let me live the dream for a day! Throwing down a wet paper towel on the kitchen floor and mooshing it around with my foot was the genesis of my invention. I'm thinking garden shoes with sponges bungee-corded to the bottoms as prototypes.

Now off to my day job...waves to all.

(just googled and, believe it or not, they've already been invented. sigh...Maybe a feather duster hat for those hard to reach spots in the ceiling?)

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Denise, years ago I "invented" a bowl for desserts with a rim around the top where you could place plum and cherry pits...or tea bags, etc. Obviously I didn't strike it rich.

Here's the Larsen picture I liked.

Many others here: Lots to look at under "People" section.
    http://scandinaviantreasures.com/

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Very snowy here and supposed to get windy. I left work around noon. By the time I was nearly home it felt like I was driving across a field. You couldn't see the road at all and with the ditches full of snow it all looked flat and white.

This thread is full of the glories of summer - love it!

Denise, how sad that your brother was out of touch at the time of your father's death. Bummer about the clutch, but a good thing you were close to home.

Saucy, great shot of your deck. Your pots are wonderful and add such a tropical feel - especially the banana. Wow!

My plan is to start wallpaper removal this afternoon.

The butterfly garden summer, fall and today. I couldn't find the exact angle for each shot but you get the idea. Even the shrubs are buried for the most part.

{{gwi:190221}}

{{gwi:190223}}
    {{gwi:190224}}

{{gwi:190225}}

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Denise, too funny. You should get that new annoying commercial guy (you know, that Shamwow fellow) to hawk your feather duster hat. I'll bet people would buy it just b/c it is so funny. Mostly, I imagine it would be perfect for gifts for the person who has everything---except your feather duster. I would need an extension for mine in order to reach the ceiling, but there you would have that "something extra" for people who call in the next hour. All for $19.95. What a deal.

• Full_Bloom
    14 years ago

Beautiful pics everyone.

That's a nice thing to say Kathy, but the truth is I think I chased everyone away with my babbling.

Ei

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Denise, believe it or not, I think Mary has a pair of mop shoes and she showed us here a couple of years back! What a small world.

I invented the "lobster roll" but someone beat me to it. It would be a rolling pin (smaller sized, though) that you could use to roll the lobster meat out of the small legs...some of my favorite meat. Later I saw that someone had already thought of it.

...and then there were "Armies...defense against the cold" They were long "sleeves" that spanned the difference between the coat and glove...kids always get a red mark there where they're not protected. Someone thought of that one, too.

Sorry...I get carried away with inventions.

Hmmm...I posted here this morning about me in another odd position....but it disappeared. I crack right up when I see myself.

Jake's home from his first driver's ed class...think I'm going to go curl up with one of my new books: Spam and Eggs, or Dogtown?

Saucy

• drema_dianne
    14 years ago

I have no time to post, but wanted to say that I am very happy to see Ei posting, and love everyone's pics. Michelle your border is gorgeous, and bug's travelog, everything. Thanks! I am going to post some pics of the doggies, and potager, per request, hopefully tommorrow. I think some posts have disappeared from what they say at the start of the forum.

Hi to all! Talk to you tommorrow.

D.

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Go for Dogtown, Saucy, and leave the Spam for another day.

(Spam, spam, spam, spam - sing with me, girls!)

GUESS WHAT! Yes, I'm shouting, shouting from the rooftops if I could. I had a long talk with the bossman today and he is giving serious consideration to an office reorganization. I won't go into too many details, but I am excited and this just may come out the best for me. After being so discouraged about the state of affairs for so long, I feel so relieved it's indescribable. Now to keep my fingers crossed that it all works out as he laid it out to me.

'bug, I love the Spring painting!

Michelle, I'm afraid that your weather is headed my way. The winter storm warning goes into effect shortly.

Ei, you didn't chase me away! Come back and babble, please.

V.

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

I googled feather duster hat in the event that Denises idea had been pre-invented and seemed to get quite a few results pursuant to French Maid costumes, lol. No actual feather duster hats were returned. This is your big chance Denise, the world is waiting !

Michelle, I love the photo series of the butterfly garden. That has to be one of your favorite areas..so beautiful in every season !

I am busily pondering itineraries for IU, such a challenge to try to cram in so many places I would love everyone to be able to see ! I have a basic plan , but am trying to drill down on specifics with driving times etc. My trip to the coast in Feb will be a test drive of the route.

V, I hope things work out for you at the awfice ! Im just wishing for stability and no more drastic cut-backs, RIFs , re-orgs, etc. Flat business levels would be an improvement ,sad to sayand by the way It aint got much Spam in it "..

Ei, blabbing is needed here !

Time to go..got to have some dinner..

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Such good news for V! I hope he comes through with a great new plan! Then you can pass it on to Michelle who seems to have had work woes for a long stretch as well.

As we bring this Idyll thread to a close I'll add my bit about Christmas. It certainly was about family this year, and that is a great thing. A few things I would change: First, why did uncle Brian have to give Skyler a big man's knife? He is thrilled with it but has no sense of safety and is eager to show it off and be fierce with it. UGH!!! I was also disappointed that Skyler chose to erase messages from the phone. They were very serious ones at that. No sense of respect in that child, cute though he may be. Finally, I was pleased with the gifts DSIL gave to others: For Skyler, a Harry Potter game. This is so much better than the junk he usually plays with both at home and with friends! He also received one of the books and begged to take it for reading times at school. I'm sure it will be misplaced or taken by his mother....Also he received a CD of a Harry Potter book for the car.

{{gwi:190227}}

Sarah received wonderful tapes too by David Attenborough... and more. Although she doesn't care to watch the TV, (they have no cable) they'll both enjoy these videos. Already Skyler learned a great deal about octopi from the one he looked at.

Skyler begins his guitar lessons this Saturday, and he has been learning that his guitar is an instrument to be cared for, not a toy for his friends to pound on.

{{gwi:190228}}

And another favorite of mine, Daddy dances with Ivy who fell asleep at New Year's...with Reed in the background photo. Shmaltzy me...

{{gwi:190229}}

OH! Big news too: DD phoned me today to say they've bought me a ticket for a visit during Skyler's March break. Tickets were on a big sale until tomorrow. The thrill for me is that already they can want me back...just after getting rid of me. Imagine that!

Not only do I enjoy Ei's babbles but I wish we'd hear an update from Blabs about her men folk.

Life is busy and full of germs here!
    'bug

• denisez10
    14 years ago

Goood morning, my fellow inventors!

Oh, yes, the excited but hushed narration of Mr. Attenborough as he crouches down in some wild landscape and tells us all that he sees and what it means.

I was buying grapes on New Year's Eve, and a store employee said, Oh, so you eat 12 grapes on NYE? No clue what he meant, so he explained his culture (Spanish) eats 12 grapes at midnight, one for each month.

About the knife, that'd scare me too. I've carried more knives, cameras and watches of my dad's home for dispersal, and even a g-u-n, one he's had for "defense" since I was a kid but never used, that I need to take to the local P.D. I was joking with my mom that lately every time I leave her house, I'm packing something lethal.

V, that is wondrous news, so glad they'll be some changes! Maybe Michelle will catch some of that action too. And Chelone's employer could use an epiphany too!

Closing out this thread. Ei, it's obvious if people want to twitter and talk in spurts of 164 characters they go elsewhere. Here we like to read and write!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Ei, babble on! Your musings are always fun to read!

'bug, Love the picture of Ivy and dad with Reed in the backgound. Is there anything sweeter than a sleeping baby in your arms? Skyler and dad look mighty fine in their beautiful jackets. Any story behind those?

Well, I went to the dentist and am scheduled for the first round of surgery on my gums on Monday. Yuck. Seems I really do need about $30,000 of dental work including crowns for almost every tooth! I am so irked. Then, today I have our regular workmen here. I wanted a new fan in the hall bath because the old one seems to blow only when the heater in the unit is running, too. Mostly, I just want the fan. Time was, this would have been a DH job. Seems those are few and far between these days as my list just grows and grows. Talk about being irked! I scheduled Jorge before the good news from the dentist. Anyway, I thought it would be a quick, cheap, and easy job replacing the fan/light/heater unit. Think again. One of his guys was up in the attic and came down through the ceiling above the tub-not all the way, but wow, what a hole in the ceiling. So now they have to patch that. Jorge is wonderful and I am sure he won't charge for it, but what a pain in the neck. I always feel that any job here becomes much more complicated than he expects it to be. He's one of those quiet types, so I never know what he thinks about working here. He probably cringes every time I call. The people who lived here before us were not prone to doing things the right way, so one thing always seems to lead to another and in trying to fix the jerry- built old set-up, the guy just put his foot though the ceiling. Oh well.

Kathy, I am so going to need that reunion in June! I am determined to figure it out!

V, keeping my fingers crossed for you. Nice to get good news at work, isn't it?!

Michelle, beautiful progression of shots.
    Oops-got to go get Jorge some paint for the newly repaired ceiling. He is using my hairdryer to dry the patch-lol.

Later, all.