Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

# 417... Idyll Speculation

dodgerdudette
15 years ago

The new year is just a few days away - wonder what it might bring ? Hopeing it's a little better-and not any worse !

The Idylls will, of course, carry on...

Kathy in Napa

Comments (101)

• chelone
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nay, nay! Maid Marian! 'twas not only PM who saw your last post, but 'twas indeed she who had the presence of mind to comment on the state of your BIL's health.

I don't have time to jibberjabber right now as the snow is beginning and I have to get some errands completed post haste.

You are not forgotten, at least not entirely! ;)

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

Saucy, I've been thinking about whether Edgar Sawtelle would be a good read for Jake, and have decided you should read it first. I don't know if it would be entertaining enough for a teenager. It's beautifully written and evocative of the 70s without being blatant about it; the word pictures have me rereading lines. Really lovely book, but would the action be entertaining enough for Jake. I don't know.

PM, And with no disrespect to Detroit, how can you go wrong with a Honda or Toyota? Good decision :) I've never had a car that wasn't silver or beige. We all have comfort colors.

75 yards of fabric Chelone, wow. How about naked windows in the salon? Just let the light and the woodwork shine. Ah, probably some insulation value in drapes? Cindy was your 80 yards for upholstery and drapes for the new family room decor? Did you post pictures of that renovation?

Mary, love what you did with the Amaryllis, willow and moss. Striking arrangement.

Kathy, I checked for you and there are a couple of Home Goods around Portland. You'll need easy access for your new house.

There are no 60s blue toilet seats to be found, so the toilet now has one big white dot as a lid. It's fine with me. I noticed I had the wrong size when I put it in the car and the word 'elongated' popped up from the label. Polka dots must be round. I had a tape measure with me to be sure I found one that would fit, and even though I checked the sku number when I picked a boxed one from the pile, I was one digit off. At least I noticed before I got home, and the returns clerk took pity on me and rang up the new sale with the return so I wouldn't have to go through the lines again. Want to guess how long I spun the screws on the old lid before I remembered there were nuts holding them in place? I am so NOT in the same league as the rest of you do-it-yerselfers.

I did get the curtain rod installed in the towel rack and the clear glue had set up nicely this morning. I added towels and haven't heard a crash (except for Hope tossing the bag of rod hardware at the walls - a new toy? for me?!) so I think it's a success!

I need to pick up my new glasses today before they call me again. I bought the same comfy frames I have now, plus new lenses for the current pair and new sunglasses. I can sleep in these glasses, they are that light and soft.

Another gentle day, but windy and I can hear the low toned chimes which I love.

Have a good one!

Cynthia

• jak1
    15 years ago

First of all, Happy Anniversary to all of you celebrating (or not) folks! I remember telling a firend of DD's that we have been married for 30 years and her response was an awed "You mean to the SAME guy?" *LOL* 2009 will be 36 years for us.

Saucy - I also routinely kill lobelia. I don't try it anymore. And I love the look of it too.

Cindy I also routinely kill lavender, but my neighbour's side garden, not 20 feet away from mine, abounds with it all summer. Go figure. I can at least count on having a few dried sprigs from her bounty every year.

PM2 - I went out yesterday and bought a calendar too as no one gave me one for Christmas. I also treated myself to a new valence for the kitchen window so things are looking pretty spiffy to start the new year. I like your philosophy of giving kids fun stuff to do that also develops skills. I am going to keep that in mind a bit more often with TCS. My orchids are thriving - I will try to remember to get a photo today - but my Amarylis are sitting looking like dead. I received a Lotus sanitizing system for Christmas, which is a small appliance that apparently puts an extra oxygen ion into ordinary water. The H2O2 is stable for only about 15 minutes. I am going to water my plants with it to see if the extra oxygen makes a difference.

Chelone: how wonderful to reach the woodstove milestone! That's a big one in the salon odyssy (what a weird word. Must keep it in mind for Scrabble). You know what "they" say: it's not the destination, it's the journey that's fun, or something to that effect. We renovated a century home for 25 years, a major project every year. It WAS fun. Now renovation means painting a different colour - or even repainting the same colour! I love stenciling. I will also try to take a phot of the stencils I did in TCS's room. I started some in the master bedroom, didn't quite look right, quit with it undone - might be a good project for 2009! Anxious to see your - stencils I mean not master bedroom, although that might be fun to see too....

Insurance companies. We had a major accident 7 years ago today (what an anniversary that is!) and the first thing the agent/adjuster said as she walked through the door was "Note this: You do not pay a dime for anything." The accident was serious, lots of damage and injuries, lots of charges against the other driver, lots of court appearances, physiotherapy etc. - but the company was wonderful. We had been their client for all of ten days and they had given us a special low premium for never making a claim in our 30 years with the previous company. Go figure. I must admit, though, that we have been trying since Dec. 20 to have somebody - anybody- look at the damage from our fender-bender on that day, Dec. 20 I mean, not 7 years ago.

I know I am missing lots of good stuff on this thread but my day beckons. I will be back later - on the Onward and Upward thread probably!

Cheer!

Julie

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

All Together Now!!!!!: "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!"

8" predicted and the gardens are celebrating the new year with their layer of new best-in-the-world winter mulch. Great Boss told us all yesterday to stay put and work from home. No convincing needed, here!!

So much to catch up on ......

Hope Eden and Brad at least selected something "R" for the tingle factor.....

Deanne is now an official herbie!! I haven't seen a GC in New England that size for years and years and sent congrats for success! Even though you babied it, it looks wonderful. LOL

Wishing I could give Marian a hug in person but glad that you still enjoy sister-banter. Nothing like it in the world during "down" days.

Kathy's eaves and my garage act the same way. Only surely dead plant out there is a New Guinea Impatiens whose color I didn't like, anyway. Salvias, Camellia, Azalea, "Peace Lily", rosemary are all still living. Gotta love east-facing windows.

Thanks for remembering Rich, guys. There are no fewer than 100 people advertising themselves as handymen or contractors and very few of them were "in business" six months ago. I've talked here about the cleanup that is required after these folks work, and Rich has had it with being told how lowly his profession really is and the only reason people are willing to pay him to come fix their mistakes is because of the inconvenience those mistakes are causing -- he's still way overpriced in their opinion and why pay more when one doesn't have to?????? The citzenry at large just doesn't get it.

So, he's thinking he'll fall back on his psychology background and perhaps look into caretaking in-their-home clients or possibly working where my brother is. He's also thinking of opening a puzzle-making biz with a small biz grant for the cost of the machine. The possibilities are endless but as long as he's happy and legal I could care less how the money comes in.

For Jake, Saucy, I'd recommend Colin Powell's autobiography. Until the very end it moves fast and provides a lot of insight into the challenges of 60's/70's american military and being a relatively accomplished person of color in those surroundings. It involves history, personal anecdotes, some really good leadership philosophy, and what 15 year old doesn't love someone famous who actually gets in trouble during his youth once in a while?

Mary: Glad you're getting to experience RE-LAX. Still remembering Annie's so-wonderful gift to your student.... She's going to be one amazing woman.

gb - Have S&W determined gender of NB? I think it's just great that such a fun event raised such a significant amount of money for The Reed. The fair and general community is obviously supporting the endeavor and I'll bet that as word spreads, it will become more and more important to the area. For laser tag, I suggest earplugs and a quiet space in which to read. Perhaps a bathroom?? LOL

Woody -- Take it easy on those walkies!!! Perhaps a sleigh could be employed with all neighborhood dogs pretending to be reindeer??? Love the treadmill idea but be sure there are no 7yo TCS friends around.....Third set of rose seeds planted last evening, by the way. It is the gift that keeps on giving :-)

Stay in Bed, Jerri!!! You only think you feel better but remember that you heal from the outside in and the surgical area probably hasn't even connected itself, yet. I kick myself every time I get a twinge or twang in the abdomen because I Know I shouldn't have ______ (fill in the blank) when I thought I could too soon. Your head and mine are more alike than you think.....I can't see myself ever fostering a rotty mix, though :-(

I'm with you, V. Here, Macy's took over Filene's which took over local institution G. Fox & Co. Only time I'll shop there is when there is gifted $$ involved and then only during mega sales. Don't even bother with coupons anymore -- when I check out I say: "If anything I have has a coupon to go with it, could you ring it that way?" and have yet to be told "no."

And since we don't have any credit cards whatsoever (yes, we manage to live, anyway!!!!!) store cards are a long-ago memory.

Really interesting stuff about vacs and Chloe, Cindy. Wish everyone would do so much research for their human kids.

Thinking of Denise's Mitch and how very freezing he would be to be in NYC this year for New Year's. Warnings are out about frostbite...

There's more, I'm sure, but need to check work emails and rethink a few garden selections. Nothing like a stack of catalogs on a wind-whipped snow day!!

Martie

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Of course the one thing I was going to post, I didn't...

PM - I'm with Cynthia about Geico. Three claims in three years (none our fault) have been dealt with quickly and professionally. Only glitch was when Ky was hit by another Geico insured and there was some question about what group of people would look into the accident. Situation resolved in less than 2 days and check received 5 days later. Hokey advertising, I know, but great company in my experience.

AND I'll bet Michelle is already packed ;-)

Martie

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Hi everyone

Today I thought I'd beat the lines at the grocery store and was there before 7 AM. The foot of snow we had overnight had kept almost everyone away so I waltzed through very quickly. I returned to shovel the driveway - I'm having my snowblower serviced which of course ensured we got a giant dump of snow. Still, Annie and David are delighted as they are skiing tonight and the slopes should be great. And it sure looks pretty.

I'm meeting Mum from the airport at 2pm and need to make a nice portable meal to eat at the ski lodge. New Year's eve is a lot of fun with the ski patrol coming down the mountain with flaming torches followed by fireworks. However, last year we ate their luke warm chilli and greasy onion rings and I promised DH something more festive this year. I've planning on a big pot of bacon/potato/corn chowder made from the turkey stock, followed by shrimp salad and 7 layer dip with tortilla chips. I think the evening also calls for some bubbly for the non drivers and perhaps something chocolatey for dessert.

No time to comment as I still have the fridge to clean and the guest room to make up. Waving to all!

Mary

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Oyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Lost my post somehow! It was a good one for a change too. :(

Later!

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Ugh. I 'had to' get up a couple of times this morning and now I'm paying for it. I wanted to log on and say Hi.

I can't believe I forgot to comment on Marcy yesterday! I just love her! She looks none too happy to be having her picture taken. LOL

Later Gators

Jerri

• chelone
    15 years ago

In from the Salon to clean a brush, grab a Clementine/two/three, and see what's shakin' here.

No 60s blue toilet seats on e-bay, Cynthia? it is that bright, "baby blue"? Dad had all the sample books from American Standard and Kohler when I was a kid. Even little porcelain samples in all the available colors. Lol about the bolts, that's how we learn. ;)

Naked windows aren't part of the "master plan". It's a privacy thing for starters. All the lovely open windows that are so delightful by day turn the Salon into an aquarium by night. There would be a heat/energy benefit IF I closed them every night reliably. There is also the advertising benefit to them, a sample of my work. Making them up would also give the opportunity to do current time studies and refine the construction technique. And lastly, it's a way for me to play around creatively and still "get the job done".

Martie, please let Rich know that there are still some of us out there who don't object to paying for a quality job. "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is", I think that's often the case when people jump on the cheapest bid, too. And remind him that the carefully mastered skill don't really ever leave your head, when he needs them they'll be right there waiting for his call.

I would like to be at the lodge having dinner with Mary's family tonight. And I wouldn't want to be one of the drivers. Pretty funny about the snowblower, too.

I don't plan to have Christmas off, PM, it's just what we do every year. It's the slower part of the year, there's not a lot of pressure for things and so we take time off whenever the opportunity presents itself. This year the break is long because Christmas and New Year's Day fall in the middle of the week. I have thoroughly enjoyed this time off, too. I've gotten a lot done and I'm excited about keeping the progress going.

Time to get back out the Salon so we can put some stuff in the attic area. Screens for the windows and the foam pieces I have acquired over time, mostly.

I told you guys that Marcy was beautiful!

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Mary, I love the way you dressed up your amaryllis. Id be hard pressed to find moss right now though. Im sure you are excited to see your mom again.

Deanne, as several have mentioned, you dont seem old enough to be married 37 years congrats.

Pm, wedding videos sound like something interesting to do again Im not sure weve ever done it in the 12 years weve been married.

Chelone, we need to see pictures of the stove in place.

No Homegoods anywhere around here maybe thats a good thing ;o)

Tragedy has struck Dh had a pigeon that showed up about 6 months ago and hung out with him in the machine shed. It had bands on his legs so probably belonged to someone. I teased him that he had a new friend. Apparently Jaden didnt appreciate the pigeon stealing attention that she was due and she took matter into her own jaws shall we say. I think DH felt bad about it.

More to comment on, but break time is over and theres much to do with tomorrow off and next week as well.

Michelle

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Well it is starting to get dark here. DH worked from home today and he is finished for the year, finally. Out with the old and in with the new! I can hear him running the electric snow shovel and I am once again thankful that our oldest son is so thoughtful to have given him that gift. No one else is home and he would be shoveling it all by hand by himself, otherwise.

Kathy....more snow here tonight but I will take it over your earthquakes and fire any day.

Martie....I add my good wishes that the men in your life find happy surprises in the New Year. :-) Mine too. [g]

Chelone...75 yds of fabric....what about some toppers [valances?] and some of those pleated fabric shades? Or you could make some Roman shades or similar? Still using the sewing skills but less fabric.

Deanne....you must have a ton of lights in your basement to get a lavender blooming in December. That's good to know you can winter it over.

Saucy...Marcy looks like good company and she has picked a great spot to look out from.

V....sounds like a fun shopping trip. Nothing like finding sales but it spoils the fun when the retailers try to pull a fast one on you.

Also a Home Goods fan here.

Mary...I love what you've done with your Amaryllis. They always look so stiff and gangly to me, but your pot and moss and artistic branches really add a lot.

Michelle...I love cottage feel decorating. I always associate that decor with happy visits to relatives in Maine and/or relaxing vacations.

Cindy...sorry for the reminder of 'insurance claims'. [g]

Chelone...I am not a Macy's fan and I find myself still calling it Jordan Marsh. I really miss Filene's. I used to take the train into Boston to do some Christmas shopping with friends when I was in my teens and I loved that...and yes, the Christmas displays in the windows were great. Indian Pudding at Durgin Park maybe? We haven't eaten there in years. I do remember Bonwit Teller. I don't remember shopping there though. I had a family member who braved the annual wedding gown sale at Filene's Basement for her wedding gown...lol. It's nice that you chose New Year's Eve to try out the woodstove.

Kathy....love that snow photo! Nice potted Bamboo!

Julie....I actually got a calendar from DH for Christmas but as I told him, don't you remember how I end up with four favorites at the calendar store every year and agonize over which one to take home.? [g] I look forward to choosing my own. :-)

We are home alone tonight. DD had plans with friends and DS is working. We feel like we had a special dinner last night with champagne but we are still adding a bottle to tonight's dinner for the two of us. I find myself thinking of my mother and how many New Year's Eves she spent by herself, when we all had plans. Never complained and always made a special time of it for herself with a 'champagne cocktail' and her favorite dinner...Italian! And she would never fail to watch Guy Lombardo and the ball drop every midnight.

Mary, now, your evening sounds spectacular! I would really love that. Dinner sounds wonderful and I just love ski lodges and the ski slopes. I never had the chance to ski when I was young but about 10 years ago, we did join a group of friends who went for a weekend up to NH for the weekend. We had a fabulous time. Nothing quite like being up on the side of a mountain with all that white and quiet. The air has a specialness to it and the sun sparkles off everything. It feels as great as standing on the shore breathing in an ocean breeze and looking out to where the ocean meets the sky. They had a 'bunny hill' where DH tried a ski lesson and did very well, then we spent a day tubing while our friends skied. Such an adventure. :-) All of our kids ski.

Marian...what will you be doing tonight? Will you see the New Year in? Are you and Nolan feeling well enough to enjoy any festivities tonight? I would enjoy hearing some of your fondest New Year's Eve memories? What did you and Nolan do when you were dating?

Say goodbye to Christmas for another year

{{gwi:190327}} {{gwi:190329}} {{gwi:190330}} {{gwi:190332}}

It will be all gone by Saturday...

{{gwi:190333}}

Again, no time for proofreading, so please excuse any problems...Ok...dinner is ready and I have a glass of champagne with my name on it calling me...so have a great evening...

Happy New Year Idyllettes!!

:-)

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Geeze, I can't believe I haven't been here for a week. It took me most of the day,except for a trip to town, to catch up with the goings on. I really want to do a long post, but don't have time right now.
    It has been good reading of your holidays and vacation times. We had a good Christmas and then we have both been under the weather. DH still is. I am feeling much better and enjoyed a couple of nice walks in 50 and 60 degree weather. What a breath of fresh air. That will get me through a couple more months. I even opened the house to change the indoor air.
    There have been some nice pictures too.
    Eden I loved seeing Bella. How is she liking her school?
    Will you be taking care of Jen's baby too?

Michelle I am excited for you to be visiting Kenzie and family. Have fun.

Kathy bummer you didn't get to see Mr Baby and DD.

Well like I said , no time right now. Be back soon.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! a little bit early, EVERYONE.
    Norma

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We closed up shop at work at 2pm today, and I found myself realizing that if I didnt go to the grocery I was going to be mighty hungry for the next few days. So, I was in the position of having to go to the market at 2pm on New Years Eve. Solution: go to the most expensive market in town , as it will be the least crowded. Worked like a charm . I havent stayed up on New Years since Y2K ! No plans to do so tonight either. I plan to watch the 1st installment of the Beatles Anthology , which have not seen since it first aired.

All is a go for rose pruning tomorrow, as temps are predicted to hit 60 degrees.

Thinking about the importance of Chelones fabric selection for the windows of the Salon. Will they be patterned? Solid? Stripes ? Or will this be strictly Ill know it when I see it". And of course one has to consider the pattern of the stencil too. It all seems quite daunting.

What an interesting concept Martie, making puzzles ! He can send the first draft off to Marian for a quality control test. Would they be made of wood ---and are we talking jigsaw puzzles ?

Not a bloom to be found on any of my orchids as of yet. If the Cymbidiums are going to bloom this year they should start spiking up pretty soon. I inspect them often. My Phals are in poor light right now so Im not expecting much there.

Cynthia, Im impressed with how quickly you pulled together that Bathroom project. You clearly did not shilly-shally once you got started. I hereby crown you and Mary Loo Empresses of the Idylls, 2008" (LEOTI?)

Time to head into the kitchen .

Hi to all!

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

It has been many years since we saw the New Year in together. I used to stay up until midnight, but no more. The only type of 'festivities' that we were ever involved in, after we were married, is the singing in the New Year with our brethren in Twin Falls, Idaho....and that was 32-33 years ago. We would have a fondue supper, play games, and sing. :-)

I do look forward to watching the Rose Parade tomorrow. One year our power was out, so we could not see it, but there is no bad weather in the forecast, so that should be no problem.

There isn't even anything on TV tonight, so unless I put on a video...just another blah evening.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    15 years ago

Best wishes to all for a healthy, happy, and prosperous 2009!

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Happy New Years Eve! Dh finally got home and is cooking his special chili. I'm afraid. :-\
    Tonight will be movies and I plan to watch the ball drop in NYC. Dark Knight is on PPV so that's a strong possibility. I wish I knew what channel the Beatles Anthology was on. Kathy? Is that on national or a local thing?
    My foot is really hurting. I don't know if I hurt it or if it's just normal pain. I have been trying to cut down on meds today. That idea is soon to be tossed out the window. LOL

Jerri

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jerri, I ordered it on my Netflix. I have 2 here at home as well for tommorow night...

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Happy New Year's Eve, all! We're spending a quiet night at home this evening, just DH and I. A roaring fire, a special bottle of Silver Oak almost gone and a gifted bottle of Dom waiting in the wings...

Tomorrow will be another story. We decided a few days ago to invite a few friends over. It's now mushroomed to 16 for jambalaya and chili at noon tomorrow. The last-minute surge came when the four adult "kids" (son, fiance, and 2 nephews) decided they really wanted to be out here with us instead of in the city. Makes me happy to know they enjoy being with us!

I've been reading along and commenting in my head - have you heard any little voices in your heads? I'm almost afraid to start commenting as I know I will leave out a lot.

I have enjoyed Woody's tales of Phoebe and Misty. DH cooked marrow bones for Christmas Day, and the dogs now have quite a collection going. There are seven scattered around the rug right now. Mystic is the most possessive.

That's probably enough excitement for one New Year's Eve. You can add me to the list of folks who aren't sad to see 2008 come to an end. While there were no major tragedies here, there were small stresses and, in the last quarter of the year, the worry of all the economic stresses. I'm looking for a new equilibrium in 2009!

V.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Happy New Year Idylls!
    {{gwi:190334}}From Yachats

The First Annual Idyll Awards Of Excellence
    (The IDAs)

Best Performance by a Photographer
    Deanne
    Honorable Mention... Marie

Best Performance Bathroom Remodel
    Mary
    Honorable Mention... Cynthia (even though we have yet to see a photo)

Best Performance Major Remodel
    Chelone
    Honorable Mention... Eden (even though we have yet to see a photo)

Best New Garden
    Michelle, The Secret Garden
    Honorable Mention, Saucy the Godess Garden

Best Pet Sitter
    Woody

Best B& B
    Cindys Home for Wayward Women

Most Daring
    Brenda

Best Performance with a Straw
    Deanne
    Honorable Mention... Jerri.

Most Arsty Craftsy
    Mary

Best Performance Houseplants
    Marian (by a landslide)

Best Invalid
    Tie....Jerri, Martie
    Honorable Mention... Sue

Best lurker
    Monique and Les

Best Idea of the Year
    Julie Jobs !

Most Exotic
    Denise
    **note: this is not meant to infer that Denise is performing the tango (or worse)at a disreputable nightclub.

Most Faithful Poster
    Prairiemoon

Best Reporter on the Beat
    VElection night.

With apologies to those who went awardless..remember, even Meryl Streep doesnt win every year!

Best Wishes to All

Kathy in Napa

• Monique z6a CT
    15 years ago

Happy New Year!!!

From lurker Monique

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Happy Happy New Year all!!! from one who can't type at this particular time because she has had a lovely evneing wth friends anda bottle ow Glenlivet 18 year Scotch.... Yum....

May 2009 be healthy, happy and prosperous for all here and if we can't be all of the above may we all continue to find happiness in each moment and time we take to sit back and count our blessings.....

Deanne

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Happy New Year my Idyll friends! TGI2009!

Jerri

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

We have about 20 minutes to go before the magic moment. DH & DSIL are putting a second puzzle together in the basement, Indy is sleeping on her cushion, Skyler fell asleep while his Dad read him another chapter (The Wild Children) and DD fell asleep long ago. BUT, we'll wake everyone one for a couple of minutes of hugs and tears and then hit the sack. (We had home made blueberry wine earlier with our venison dinner.)

My very best wishes for an amazing 2009 to each friend and family, all pets included!

Photos will likely turn up next week. (Skyler has asked for another booklet of them already.)

CHEERS!

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Happy Glistening New Year! The sun's out and I'll take that as a purely wonderful omen!!

Good roast pork with root veggies and crusty bread for dinner last night. A few hours of lolling around and early bed, figuring that if we were in Europe it would've already been midnight. LOL

Think it goes without saying that the new year is quite welcome at Cornfield Park. It has been a wild year .....

Kathy -- No, no village this year. Ky was busy with incidentals like final exams and it's really his gig. He did say that he missed it and so did we, but time and energy left those wonderful houses in the boxes this year. Love that PM got a few more for her collection!!

Rich's puzzle idea is a direct result of the Idylls, and I don't let him forget that :-) When everyone was talking about puzzles being made for their littles, I thought it would be a cool idea for the cul-de-sac kids as 12th Day gifts. Goggled around and found a link for the machine that most "out-of-home" puzzle businesses use, checked with the State Small Business folks, and found that purchase of the machine is eligible for grant funding. The machine makes cardboard puzzles using various dies for different numbers of pieces, but Rich has every form of jigsaw imaginable so wood is within the realm. I'm doing some local marketing research to find out if anyone else is working with schools, etc. for fundraisers. If not, he might very well apply for the grant (less than $3K!!!!) and see what happens.

Not being a skiier, but having a local facility as a client, I get to enjoy the lodge without worrying about breaking my back :-) Media day is coming up and I'm very, very glad that my boss is willing to split the ticket :-)

Loving that so many are seeing beloved folks during this time.

Martie

• chelone
    15 years ago

The Best of 2008 was a stroke of pure brilliance, Kathy, providing many morning chuckles here on the Compound. :)

I particularly like the suggestion to use Marian as "quality control" and product testing for Rich's puzzles. (and she actually thought we'd forgotten about her!).

I wanted to have dinner at the lodge with Mary&Co. last night. Today I'd like to be at V.'s. Will Saucy be cooking Black Eyed Peas today to ensure continued good luck and good fortune for the coming year?

I also wonder how long Idyll Revellers will loll luxuriously in their beds this morning, capitalizing on a mid-week holiday. Also I hope that no one suffers the after effects of too much "firewater" this morning. Me? I was nicely on my way to sleepyland by 8:30 last night, Spencer tucked cozily under my chin, purring away. Not sure what time the helpmeet arrived on the scene. Yessereee, I was a real ball of celebratory fire last night. Pass the Geritol, willya Marian?

It's cold out there this morning (about zero which is cold for us) and the wind is picking up nicely to make snow removal even more enjoyable for the helpmeet. He's already been to work to check on an elderly and increasingly cranky heating system. Rex bolted on him this morning, too (heard him tell the dog, "get in there!" and slam the door). But there was nice, hot coffee when he returned from his mission and there was nothing amiss with the heating system, either.

Time to toddle off to the kitchen to clean up last night's trail and get myself organized to meet the challenge of the New Year. ;)

• saucydog
    15 years ago

Yes, Chelone, Hoppin' John and greens for the new year. Good luck and wealth. I'll be making lemon chicken and mashed potatoes so that Sarah will have something to eat, too, lol! She's not particular about her luck or money....and she likes her food white and bland (with the exception of broccoli and carrots - we should introduce her to TCS!)

The snow is blown into beautiful drifts and sparkly from the sun. Yesterday my(I've claimed him) red tail hawk waited out the storm in the big branch on the old oak tree. They make a good pair, the tree and hawk.

Kathy, I like your year end awards ceremony. Hmmm....what would we wear to such a ceremony? And would their be a red carpet, or a mulched path?

I do not make resolutions, usually, but this year I resolve to "SEE" Marian's posts, lol! I don't know how I missed it, but I did....and I was concerned! You bet that I'll be looking for your name every time I check in, now!

Again, I don't have much to say. It's nice to see Monique - I was poking through IU pictures and found the picture of Les "sneaking" away with his allium art :) I have been looking for inspiration for the upcoming season, as well as 'tufa planters and leaf castings.

This weekend I claim a work bench in the garage as my own...and I have already claimed the one nearest the woodstove :)

Gotta go bissel. Zeus had a party of his own last night and it can't wait any longer....

Saucy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Couldn't agree more with Chelone... the Best of 2008 List. Quite delightful. I would have to add....

Lifetime Achievement Award for Best Dental Patient
    Kathy
    No Runner Ups could touch her. [g]

Largest Overwintered Plant
    Deanne's Banana Tree

Best Performance by a Musician
    Mary on violin with injured finger

Best Musical Newcomer
    Norma on guitar [Mandolin in 2009?]

Plant Voted most likely to swallow the Whole House
    Kathy's Lady Banks Rose

Best Performance in a Documentary
    'Twirlly Girl' Katie

Best Firewood Hauler
    A Tie between Marian and Chelone

With that I will smile all the way to the Mall this morning to get my calendar. Off to the shower...

:-)
    pm2

• chelone
    15 years ago

Here you go, Michelle: (how many hours until ETD?)

{{gwi:190335}}
    (I didn't know soapstone would reflect the flash on the camera!)

{{gwi:190336}}

{{gwi:190338}}

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Sorry Chelone....no Geritol here. ;-)

I put on a new DVD, Planet Earth volume 1, around 7PM. Nolon watched a little before he plodded off to bed. I watched, alternating with the computer, until 9. Then I restocked the stove, and hit my sack....

I have been up since 6:45.

Jigsaw puzzle Quality Control nixes wooden puzles. I have only tried one, and the pieces are too hard for my clumsy hands to handle. Perhaps for the young puzzlers???
    It has been months since I put together a puzzle. I finally put a small one on the dinningroom table with the hopes it would appeal to Nolon. He gets pretty 'down' during the winter....just sets, and eats, and drinks coffee, all day. Not good for either of us. :-(

Kathy, nice Awards. Do we each get a certificate or plaque for our accomplishments??? How about something like the statues that actors and sports people get??? LOL

Speaking of houseplants, the "Ei Slipper Orchid" has it's one bloom opening. I wish I could say there will be more, but one is better than none! :-)

I know I haven't commented on much that you all have posted lately, but you know how it is.... Most everyone else says things so much more elegantly than I do. :-)

I am still thinking of the loving generosity of Mary's Annie. That is so touching. Naturally, what you did, Mary, is worthy of praise also. I hope the dear girl had a wonderful time at your house. But for the grace of God, that could have been me needing the kindhearted support.

I have been thinking of Brenda ever since hearing of the tragic death of the sky diver in Missouri. I guess that was not the outfit that she was with??

I hope Marie is having a wonderful visit with Sarah and family.

Sorry to hear that Jerri's foot is causing so much pain.

Kathy, sorry that the sale of your house has had to be put on hold. Hopefully this recession will not be long-lived.

Also sorry for all who are having job woes because of it. I am so thankful we are well past that concern. Our house may be falling down around our head, and in serious need of repairs, but it still keeps us out of the weather. :-)
    It would certainly win no awards for beauty, or cleanliness, but we rarely have anyone that comes, so it doesn't matter that much. We are fairly comfortable in it, and the cats couldn't care less! LOL

Marian

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Saucy, it definitely would be a mulched path instead of a red carpet. Footwear would be the garden shoes of your choice.

The chili is in the crock pot and all the ingredients for the jambalaya have been prepped. I'm off to whip up a batch of thumbprint cookies and then do the final clean up before everyone arrives.

Hope you all have a great start to 2009!

Your reporter, V.

• jak1
    15 years ago

Happy New Year to you all! I wonder what 2009 will bring us? Whatever, faith, hope, courage and love, in any order will likely see us through.

I loved the various awards. Thanks for the recogniton! I think I was going to award the Silicone Rolling Pin to someone for most JJobs done *grin*, but I forget now who it was!

Very very cold here this morning, -20C (about -5F), but sunny and beautiful-looking. There is a tradition here in Perth, Ontario to sponsor a variety of locals to jump into the Tay River on New Year's morning. I went to watch last year as the day was pretty nice, and we were thinking about going this year to watch too, but it was soooooocold. By the time we decided to go, we'd missed it so are staying home and warm.

We had a quiet evening - watching t.v. until one a.m., clinking our glasses at midnight, calling our kids to say HNY and only getting voicemail..but the house was clean and pleasant and worries were banished for the evening.

Today will also be quiet with DS still asleep, DD on her way for a ski trip, DH mixing up a new batch of wine, TCS watching a movie, and me...looking for the 5 Minutes A Day bread recipe, thinking about maybe turkey tettrazini, or French Onion Soup later...just puttering.

I must comment on the beautiful soapstone stove, the much delayed proposed dental appointment (that was me a few years ago. o.k. to go regularly now!),the puzzle proposal, the wonderful "Let it Be" philosophies, the sad state of house sales and jobs...Hey - look at my opening words!!

Cheers,
    Julie

• saucydog
    15 years ago

For anyone who wants the recipe.

Click on "home" to see more recipes/ideas.

This fits into Sarah's white themed food group :)

Saucy

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Happy New Year! We stayed up until about 12:05. Well I did. Brad dozed in the chair until I woke him up for the Time Square ball dropping. Very few people I knew went out this year. Seemed everyone just wanted a quiet night at home. Even my kids all went straight home after work. David collected Bella from here about 9pm.

Like others here I bought my 09 calendar a couple of days ago (50% off at Borders). For the last few years I've gotten the Susan Branch calendars.

Chelone, your work around the stove is a thing of beauty. It turned out really well. Congratulations on a job very well done.

Kathy, loved the awards idea. And PMs contributions were great too! You're right, I need to get to those kitchen pictures soon!

Michelle, bet you're getting anxious to see your sweet little girl. Only a couple of days to go now.

Norma, glad you're over your bug and hope dh is soon to follow. Jenni is hoping to step down from managing her store and just work there 20 hrs. a week, mostly for the health insurance. It's much cheaper for them that way since Randy owns his business and would have to pay for insurance otherwise. That plan is hinging on how the economy goes though and how many people want new kitchen designs this year. They plan to juggle their time with the baby and then I'll pick up the slack. So yes I've volunteered to watch Kate but it won't be nearly as much as I have Bella. As for Bella, she loves school. She especially likes story time, doing "projects" as she calls them and a boy in her class named Nicholas. Before Christmas when we were decorating the little Christmas tree in her room she confided to me that she had a boyfriend. She then told me he asked her what her name was and she said "My name is Isabella and I love you." I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing.

PM, congrats on finally getting that new car. Bet you're relieved that purchase is over.

Thanks for all of the anniversary wishes and Happy 37th to Deanne and Doug.

Mary, your NYE plans sounded like such fun and what a yummy menu.

Saucy, nice to see Marcy. She looks a bit cranky. I find that the female felines are always more that way than the easy going males. She's a pretty girl!

Jerri, sorry your foot is causing you such pain. Hope it's feeling better today.

Martie, I love the puzzle making idea for Rich. Where will he get the images for them I'm wondering. Bella would love to have him around. Puzzles are one of her favorite things to do. She'll also sit at the computer doing puzzles on there as long as we let her.

Marian, boy you sure did attend alot of funerals this last year it seems. Hope you're staying safe, cozy and warm!

V, we had chili a couple of days ago. It was so good. I'm thinking lasagna for later and 5 min bread too.

Julie, sounds like a nice relaxing NYE and puttering is always good I think.

Cynthia, sounds like the polkadot bathroom in nearly finished. It's been great having you around more while you've been on vacation from work.

Hi lurker Monique! Maybe a little New Years post to let us know how you're doing?

I need to go do some vacuuming and laundry. It's cold here so I'll be staying in all day. Hope you all have good start to the new year today.

Eden

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Ah... it's 2009! Here's to new beginnings. Kathy, the Idyll awards are great. You are so creative. I have an awards speach all prepared. ;)
    Have a wonderful day everyone.

Jerri

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

I like the awards too. How funny! Nice addition Pm2

And of course we would wear garden clogs and a carpenters apron, with a cat in our arms and a dog on leash.
    The award would be a plant that somebody couldn't decide where to plant. LOL

Isn't it funny how soon after the holidays we start thinking about growing things again?
    The hearth and stove look great Chelone. Nice job.

I gave Wyatt a puzzle for Christmas of a bunch of Lab puppies. It was 750 pieces though and may be a bit much for him. I'm hoping the whole family will get involved.

Marian, I like your attitude. Our house is not big or fancy compared to most , but we are comfortable and thankful here too.

I stayed up until 11:15 and celebrated with a 7&7. But then I bid DH a Happy New Year and said it was 12:00 somewhere, and went to bed. He stayed up which is unusual for him. Oh I did play Auld Lang Syne on mandolin before retiring.

Norma

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Happy New Year's! I've stolen Bab's Nurse Ratchett uniform and pretty much worn it 24/7 ministering to a bed-bound Marty after the back episode started last week. New Year's Eve spent at the doc's setting up series of appts. There's been gradually more time out of bed each day, and the pain this morning is less on the steroids prescribed and started last night.

Had to duck in and accept my award, though. Must have been all that Martin Denny music my dad played on his behemoth stereo.

{{gwi:190340}}

The very best to all.

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

More greetings to all for 2009 -- Kathy, I agree that your creative lists are marvelous; you are quite inspired -- to say nothing of funny. Hopefully my B&B for charity is closed for 2009; but always open to idyllers.

I've managed to get myself busy yesterday and now hoping for today as well doing some of the closet cleaning and getting the house in order so to actually clean in the next couple of days. I managed to stay up until 2 a.m. -- watching a set of DVD British Tv mystery series called "Blue Murder" -- obviously must have been entertaining enuf to keep me up that late, lol...

Sounds like there was sufficient merriment and glee among idyllers here to bring in the New Year and Im impressed with those who exerted the effort to down those minutes down!

I have some smashing new muck shoes in a pink pattern that I would certainly wear to the awards ceremony - altho I might need to purchase a hat to match... I could also wear them to camp as I know they'd be perfect for events planned....

No resolutions here -- I know myself well enuf to know they're likely to fail so wont set myself up that way, LOL.... I hope we all resolve however to post faithfully as can and photos, photos, photos...

Okay, gotta keep the promise of more declutter and re-organizing....

--cindy

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Eden I guess we posted at the same time.

Of course Bella's favorite would be story time.
    How funny that she told Nicholas she loved him right of the bat. Wyatt has a special friend Chole (sp?) who is a little younger than him, but both have been together since babies at daycare.
    Our youngest Grandaughter that got married last year has a best friend boy that proposed to her in kindergarden and they were always in the same class. I have a picture of the two of them before the wedding and they almost look like the bride and groom. Fortunately her DH is a great sport and doesn't mind the connection they have.

I forgot to wish you and Brad Happy Anniversary! Deanne and Doug too. Ours will be up next month.

Happy Belated Birthday to Monique too. I hope you can post pictures again someday. Your gardens are gorgeous.

Hi T, did you ever get un- snowbound and have Christmas? I can imagine the action at your house with four little boys. LOL Any Moose pictures lately?

Hi Jerri, hope your foot is feeling better. I bet the weather will make it worse like arthritis for a long time.

Hey Brenda, so good to hear the wedding went well even with the short power outage. Hope you are getting some much deserved rest. How is DB doing?

OK I've got to get in the kitchen and do dishes. I don't know where they come from. I was tired of my own cooking and made DH take me to Pasta House for lunch yesterday when we went to town. We even brought enough leftovers home for supper. So the dishes must be from snacking and breakfast.

Have a good day all. Norma

• triple_creek
    15 years ago

Denise, sorry Marty is in such dire straights. Bad backs are such a pain. Literally.

Our DD is having a round with it too. She was home alone and couldn't get off the couch the other day. Grandaughter had her cell turned down and couldn't respond right away. She is back at work but very sore. Knowing her she probably won't seek help for it. Norma

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Coffee and rose parade this cloudy New Years Day. I my youth it was always Bloody Marys or Mimosas, but French Roast is just what I want right now. After the parade the Christmas gear gets put away for the year and this weekend I will purchase flowers at TJs cheapo bouquet dept to brighten up the place.

Dont know what wild hair got into me , but seems like we are inundated with best-of" lists at year end that are mostly forgotten by about Jan 5th.
    I had fun whipping this one up .Saucy could make hyper-tufa statue-ettes in various godess poses, though kitty statues would be nice too. Im sure we would all wear suitable garden tour clothing to the awards banquet, although , Deanne could wear her multi pocketed photo rig, Cindy would be color-coordinated and Mary would be in her white fur collared jacket with lime-green tights. Mulched path to be sure, strewn with rose petals and coleus leaves.

Chelone the stove looks beautiful on its platform of honor. In summertime when the stove is idle I can see a very large and dramatic vase of lilies displayed on top.

Well Eden, that Bella is quite the minx, picking out her potential suitor and assertively declaring herself ! Im sure young Nicolas was besotted.

PM, nice add-on awards. !

Hi Norma !

Off to get those boxes down for Christmas put-away

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Sensational soapstone installation Chelone! Just gorgeous.

Last night we tried valiantly to wake Sarah and Skyler to cheer in the new year...and failed. DH hit the sack around 12:30, then we yakked in the kitchen until about 3:30am. Makes the trip worthwhile to have good kitchen talk!

The awards are superb! This morning's award for hysterically funny was DSIL belting out "Delilah" in Tom Jones fashion in the shower.

There's talk in the kitchen about vapor barriers....so I guess I should go take part and have a bite of breakfast now that it is 11am! I think we are headed out this evening for a fine dinner somewhere, a goodbye gathering. :( Guess that means I have to pack....Likely it will be Saturday when we collect Ms Phoebes.

Deanne, lots of magpies here, something we never see in Ontario.

Skyler is hooked up to his ipod....sigh.
    Happy Today!!!!!
    'bug

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

Raising my glass to Kathy! Well done. At this hour it's orange juice in my glass (with a cranberry english muffin), but the appreciation for your creative efforts is sincere!

The stove and salon are looking impeccable Chelone. I see a hint of beige stripes. I could move right in with the greens and the beige and white going on.

An auspicious beginning to 2009 here with the First Night fireworks canceled due to the winds. I was out for errands mid day and noticed the highway signs were warning 'no empty semis on bridge.' Winds were in the 50-60mph range and I should have put off that raking a bit longer.

Hope started to take down the window lights this morning, so I'll finish that job today. New Years Day is always my drop dead date for removing any Xmas clutter. I'll miss the lights, but I always see this day as movement towards spring. In the past few years I haven't started seeds this early, but years ago, there were always a few tough germinators started at this time. I did get some melianthus major seeds so that I won't have to order plantlets this year. I think they'll need an early start to get to a major size in season. My 'ordered' MMs were just getting to good size when fall came early this year. I carry over a lot of tenders in the gh, but had these in humongous pots and didn't want to move them. Just not precious enough like the Agaves are!

Denise, sorry to hear about Marty's back. Hope your's holds up with the nursing duties.

To Bella: My name is Cynthia and I love you.

May everyone's 'new' year be just what they want it to be. I'm convinced that another year of this, good or bad, is still quite a gift.

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ornaments off the tree, mantle display demo-ed ,gold bow removed from my 'Martie' topiary (it will forever be the 'Martie' topiary), and next step is to drag out the tree.
    Norma, I had to laugh at your comment about thinking about growing things right after the holiday. I was hanging around at Select Seeds website yesterday afternoon, thinking about my triangle garden in the front. I want some Amaranth viridis, and must have Celosia spicata.

Coffee break over.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Chelone....what a wonderful job you have done on the woodstove! The tile job sure looks professional from here. I love the choice of colors for the trim and tile, keeps it nice and light and airy in there. You're getting there! I'm still amazed at how self sufficient you two are. :-)

Eden...that Bella....SO sweet! lol

Marian...it would be great if Nolan could get out in the mornings when it is not too cold. The winter sun is not strong, but better than no sun. Keeps the body's chemicals on the happy side rather than the depressed side.

Denise, I am so glad that Marty was seen by a Doctor and is improving. Norma, feel bad for your DD who didn't find it possible to give her back enough rest and had to go back to work.

Long story about DH back, feel free to skip over....
    DH has had back issues since we were first married. They can become so chronic. Over the years, we have had various experiences that I hope others can benefit from. We have been acquainted with people who have finally had to have back surgery and though sometimes unavoidable, it is not often, that actually brings recovery and more often can leave a person with more disability and chronic pain. So we learned from that, back surgery is not to be relied on as a 'fix' for a bad back. Visits to Primary Care Docs that didn't specialize in backs, has not offered us advice that brought long term relief or solutions. Easy to then not give the matter enough attention and then think that you are doing all you should be doing, but ending up back at the doctor's office six months later. Last year, DH had another episode of back pain worse than usual and we were fortunate enough to hear about an Orthopedic Surgeon not too far from us who had a great reputation not only for good surgical outcomes, but for his focus on trying to avoid surgery. We were very worried DH would need surgery. Having this DR view DH's films of his back, gave us a lot of information. Much better than other doctors who have viewed his films in the past. Four discs that are in one state of compromise or other. Despite this disheartening news, to our surprise, the surgeon felt confident that Physical Therapy had a good chance of relieving his symptoms, and sent us to a PT person with a Masters Degree in backs. Thankfully, over the course of four months it did bring relief. But what has really made an even bigger impact, is that together DH and I agreed that in order to avoid any future problems if at all possible, he would not attempt to keep himself on track at home, once the initial PT appts were finished, and he made the commitment to continue to use their facilities for a nominal fee to continue to do all the exercises the PT suggested. He goes three mornings a week every week, having to fit it in before 7am. The PT person he worked with, just checks his routine to see how he is doing. He is much more flexible, has finally learned to use very good body mechanics and is doing very well. We have seen him able to do certain things that in the past might have left him feeling tight and painful, and now don't bother him. Exercises, to strengthen the muscles that support the back, including the abs, a lot of stretching to keep everything flexible, losing some weight around the middle, correct body mechanics when working or lifting [he is restricted from more than 20-25lbs] and more walking were the basic recommendations that are keeping him out of the doctor's office and off the couch. Hoping that will continue into the new year and beyond. Painful backs and couch time are no fun at all.

Hello Monique. :-)

Great to hear you all are having such a happy visit G'bug!

We are back from the Mall. Returned two items and DH was happy when I thought I would exchange my calendar that he gave me and decided to keep it instead. We have been getting Lang calendars for awhile now. Last year, Bird Calendar, this year, Four Seasons. I thought of you at the Calendar store Eden, when I saw the new Ann Geddes calendar. Jenni would surely love it! Julie, what are you getting?

Everyone sounds like they are enjoying the holiday....enjoyed reading all your posts this morning..

pm2

• chloehoover
    15 years ago

Ok, lunch/break time -- tree is down and boxes away; gotta get the vaccum out big time and dig the pine needles outta my shoes from carrying it outside - this is the earliest (except for last year of no tree) I've put it away -- it does feel pretty good -- but Deanne is feeling lots better -- she's already ahead of the game - that feels good doesnt it, Deanne? Sounds like you were one of the fun revelers -- I confess to curiosity about that aged scotch, altho it's not on my to-do list... was it worth the burn going down?

So far I have not been struck by the garden plant order bug, which is extremely unusual - I usually spend this day and/or earlier ones already online placing a couple orders... Im sure that will change once everybody starts talking about it, since Im a monkee do.

Mary, I believe you also deserve the award for most cool New Year's Eve event - it sounded neat; like a tailgate party on snow; I bet your Mom had a blast with the rest of you.

Chelone, I didnt comment on how wonderful that stove is - truly has a deserving "throne" to show it off too. Your room and windows speak to me of great federal long curtains w/ swags and jabots valances or something like that to show off your skills and (yes, also talent!!!); I totally get it re wanting some better insulation and privacy - I've got windows on the main floor that only have swag/jabot to sill treatments and I do feel somewhat aquarium like; but dont spend the bulk of my time on that floor; but sure do feel the cold in winter -- I keep thinking about new windows; but then shiver more at that cost....think the economy needs to improve for me to feel secure coughing up big money for that.

Denise - Im sooo sorry to hear you had to place Nurse Racthett - hope Martie continues to improve; I know others were under the weather for the holiday -- and glad you're feeling better now too (Norma?)...

well, breakie over and I know I missed 3/4s of the rest of folks to chat to...but better sweep up the tree debris before Chloe decides to have a snack of it...

-cindy

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

Just a quick "Happy New Year" post. We weren't awake to see in the new year, but it appears to have arrived just fine anyway ;)
    I'm cleaning this filthy pit of a house. Not much has been done around here in the way of big cleaning since harvest started, and it looks it. DB is coming Sunday and will stay until Thursday, so it would be good if the dust bunnies didn't carry him off in his sleep.
    Hi to all, and I hope the New Year is full of pleasant surprises for all my Idyll friends!
    Brenda

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

Post NYD bash check in here. The final tally was 21 for the party we decided on Monday to throw today. Plenty of food and lots of good friends and family on hand. Do we really have to go back to work and normal schedules?

Chelone, the progress on the salon is impressive. The wood stove is beautiful. Can't wait to see it in person! ;)

Denise, I hope Marty's back is doing better. Back pain is the worse - I say so from blessedly limited experience. When I was pregnant the first time, the baby moved onto my sciatic nerve one night; I got out of bed and couldn't walk. Since my morning commute involved a walk from the train station of almost 1 mile, I had to do cabs to and from the train station. On the train ride home, the baby was moving like crazy, and when I got up to exit the train, the pain was gone. It was all I could do to refrain from handstands! As I said, thankfully that has been the extent of my experience with severe back pain, but it was enough to allow me to sympathize with anyone who is experiencing it on an ongoing basis.

Today's interesting fact - Cook's Illustrated did a test of specialty butters about a month ago and said that Lurpak Danish butter was the best on the market. I happened to find it at a grocery store last week and grabbed a package. Today I made thumbprint cookies with it, and everyone raved about how good the cookies were. Life lesson - the best ingredients do pay off!

V.

• chelone
    15 years ago

Very nice to see a quickie post from our very own daredevil, Brenda. You're going to feel much better once you've tamed the wilds of your home in preparation for a pleasant visit with your brother. Soak up all the moments!

I have to say that when this group is "on" the reading is really one laugh right after another for me. Here I am, all alone on the Compound, chortling away over the silliest little things. Being easily amused is a very good thing!

Saucy, have you considered making 'tufa big enough for Les to get inside? (we know he will). How much Hoppin' John did you get down Sarah's throat (if any)? lol about her lack of concern for luck and money. Very cool to hear about "your" hawk, too. How much snow did you guys get? we received between 4-5" and amounts dropped off very quickly just north of here.

Also very nice to hear from newly recovered Norma. Drag to be sick for the holidays, huh? it's a horrible time to have your energy sucked out by a cold. I like that you played Auld Lang Syne on the mandolin. So cool that you're picking it up and giving it go. It was fun to see the shots of your pets on Woody's thread.

I am sorry to learn of Marty's back woes, Denise. He must be terribly uncomfortable and I don't think there's much worse than watching someone you love endure discomfort. Donning the Nurse Ratchett uniform is part of the agreement when you gaze adoringly at each other and pledge your troth. I figured the Martin Denny crack was good for laughs and sure enough you "delivered the goods". What a tripped out scene those recording sessions must have been!

Since we've not seen anything from Deanne today I am wondering if our child bride did in fact overdo with the firewater... . I sure hope she hasn't succumbed out in the blind! We watched a Bluejay feeding in the snow the other day. He had a nice little depression in the snow and he was pecking away at the seeds that were on the ground under it. As soon as he flew off a bunch of Juncos moved right in and picked up feeding where the 'jay left off. It's absolutely amazing to me that they are so pefectly equipped to survive in such tough weather.

Thanks for the compliments on the stove, you guys. I'm glad it's finished, feels as though I've been working on it for ever.

Cindy, I KNEW you would get the whole feel I'm looking for with respect to window treatments! though I think the shades I have in mind would rightly be from the Georgian period, but maybe not (have to check that!). I'm going to do shades because there really isn't much wallspace in the Salon. The shades will "stack" vertically when I want the windows exposed and will neatly cover the glass when I want some privacy from the road. I'm opting for a nice, full treatment and want to try one of the more challenging headings well suited to stationary treatments (meaning you don't have to draw them along the rod like drapery panels). And I've got my eye on a lovely moire taffeta (a favorite) that isn't very much money, at least in the realm of drapery fabrics. And since it's a pretty commonly available fabric I'm hoping I'll be able to shave a shekel/two off the yard price by shopping on-line. I can buy the lining and fittings through a wholesale supplier I use.

The comforting beige stripe you saw, Cynthia, will not be long for this world once I recover from the drapery sticker shock, lol. It's on a loveseat that the helpmeet triumphantly brought home to me that I've decided is going to be a slipcover guinea pig, along with its equally uninspiring companion chair. The shapes of the pieces are quite similar and I think they could be recovered to fit nicely into the look of an English manor house sitting room of the 20s/30s. I presently envision them in a pretty pattern, floral or toile? Again, the object is to brush up on pattern matching skills and provide a risk-free opportunity to put a watch to the project and check my pricing. Again, another sample of my work to show to people.

Mary must be having a wonderful time with her Mum. I can't wait to hear how the portameal went. And I'm thinking of Sue (who was "robbed" at the awards, lol) and wondering about her new fireplace. Well, tomorrow's Friday (right?), so she'll poke her head in. If Wendy rolls through I've no doubt she'll have some laughs about the awards, too. I know I've missed people, but sometimes that's how it goes.

G'night!

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    15 years ago

5pm and its still (sorta) light out. A good sign ! The promised sun never materialized, and I continued my reputation as something of a weather-weenie and spent way less time on rose pruning than planned. It was drippy and cold out.

Poor Marty Back things are just as discouraging as hell. Hope you are able to keep him from overdoing during his recuperation. The Martin Denny LP cover is just classic !

Chelone, I was wondering the same thing re:our single-malt scotch party-babe. There was an amazing amount of typos in that little post, lol, bringing to mind mine and Jerris as we popped our pain meds. and this reminds me, an award that should have been given :

Best Typo of The Year
    Sue

Im sure I dont need to elaborate.

Gnite all

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I spent the entire forenoon freezing although it was plenty warm indoors. What a bummer! I guess it was a rerun of the virus. I am better this evening.

Speaking of calendars. I had 5 new ones that I bought at Wal Mart. Two of them are Lighthouse pics, one with scriptures on each page. Another is beautiful pics with Psalms, a fourth is more beautiful pics with Bible verses, and the fifth is farm pics...a John Deer calendar. Since I love having a calendar in every room, I dug out some reruns. I hung them all yesterday. ( I also have clocks and thermometers in every room.) :-)

Yesterday I got my first nursery catalog of the year. A Stark's Bros. I don't get many any more since I stopped sending for plants. I 'did' send an order to Vernon Barnes and Sons a couple of years ago, and still have not put those potted plants into the ground! Just thinking of digging holes for them wears me out. :-(

Pm2, your DH's back condition sounds a lot like Nolon's. He has had a bad back for many years, maybe ever since I married him. The bone dr. that he went to did not recommend surgery. Nolon did have therapy, but it did not help. His legs are numb, and have been for years. That is the main reason he gives for having difficulty carrying the wood up into the house. It causes him to wheeze awful bad too, but I think that disturbs me more than it does him.He hardly lifts up his feet when he walks.
    I don't know how old your DH is, but I am sure he is lots younger than Nolon. I hope he can keep going as long as Nolon has.

Marian