Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Retreat from the cold

Posted by veronicastrum z5 IL (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 12, 08 at 19:27

Just one week ago today, the alarm went off shortly before 5:00 am, the radio came on and we were greeted by the news that the temperature was hovering around zero. It felt like the height of luxury to roll over and say to my husband, "But we're going to Mexico!" And so we headed out to O'Hare for a flight to Los Cabos - the "twin" cities of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo. DH had a conference there starting on Monday, so he went a little early and we made a long weekend of it.

When you arrive at the open air lobby of the Westin, you are given a Margarita to sip while you enjoy the amazing views.

Then you wind your way through the courtyard, enjoying the creative architecture and design.

Finally, you reach your room. Every room faces the Sea of Cortez, which is an amazing shade of blue.

The surf is rather rough, so you're better off relaxing poolside.

And then a murmur goes around the pool deck, and you hear the word, "Whales!" You spot what looks like a wisp of steam not too far off the beach, and then you see something black rise out of the water. The gray whales are just off shore, and quite active. Unfortunately, they are very difficult to capture with a basic camera, but the black speck near the horizon, to the left of the volleyball net, is a whale.

You can find more domesticated animals in unusual locations. This rooster had the run of a bar called The Giggling Marlin. He was quiet most of the time, but when the song, "Come On, Eileen" was played, he crowed incessantly. I thought that perhaps someone told him the song was by Dexy's Midnight Roosters.

The ultimate luxury was having a massage in one of the beach cabanas.

And one touch that I loved was that they raked the beach sand into patterns.

It was a wonderful mini-vacation, and very hard to come home on Monday!

V.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Retreat from the cold

I wish I could send myself there...along with DD & DSIL. We all need it! Instead sunny Edmonton will have to do. ;) I'm glad you made it V!!!!

o

Boy V, that looks like just the ticket to me. I'm all for sipping oceanside margaritas and floating in nice warm water. I guess a cocktail in the bathtub will have to do for now ! Thanks for the glimpse of the tropics !

Kathy in Napa

o

Oh, V!!! Must've felt like a dream....

Martie

o

What a perfect weekend getaway from the cold!

I'm especially fond of places where the roosters run free :)

Saucy

o

What a great winter getaway. And I do see the whale!

o

Wow...does that sun on the water look inviting right about now! Hard to come back I'm sure.

o

Did I hear a rooster calling me?...LOL! :-)

V...that is *amazing*! What a beautiful place to be...I never knew Mexico was so *gorgeous*! Paul has been trying to get me to go to Mexico for years, but in my head I was always seeing Tijuana and drunk underage children and didn't think I would like it there...boy will Paul love telling me "I told you so" when he sees these pics.

I was going to post my Florida pics of Sanibel island (which I loved) but are not quite up to your tropical paradise! :-)

Thanks for sharing your travelogue V...I really enjoyed it!

Ei

o

I'm rather partial to the idea of a rooster hanging around a bar, too. Sounds like my kinda place.

What a fun diversion for one recently welcomed back to the wonders of electricity. Beautiful place.

o

Looks pretty inviting and interesting as well.

We hope to make it to Florida shortly after the new year, hopefully it will be sunny.

o

Wow, wow, wow !!!!!! V that looks like a fabulous spot. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing these! A lovely touch of the warm tropics to brighten my day, thanks!!!!!
Deanne

o

Ahhhh, it all looks so nice and warm! My favs are the ocean scenes. :-)

o

Nice job of showing the architecture, ocean and other touches that made it a memorable time. I can just feel the sun now. Norma

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here