Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dodgerdudette

Idyll #343 Lurkers Open House

dodgerdudette
16 years ago

We know you're out there... Drop in for a virtual glass of Christmas Cheer, step up to the Idylls front porch for a visit. Don't forget to post a pic of your garden (or your pets) to brighten up our wintry days.

Comments (105)

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Are you all sick of me yet today?

Wendy, isn't it just the coolest thing how those pieces of begonia leaves put out the little baby plants. I'm so glad it worked for you too!

Honey, beautiful decorations! I love the kitty especially and the santa in white on the mantle against your red wall! You're right I probably do splurge a little too much when it comes to Bella. But I realize it's only a few short years that I'll see that wonderment over the enchantment of Christmas magic in her eyes. I enjoy buying and decorating for her as much if not more than she does.

Here's a couple from Bella's and my shared room. First her tree. We decorated it with ornaments and things that belonged to my girls when they were little and Bella made the paper chain (with a little help from grandma). The elf watches over her and heads back to the North Pole each night to report to Santa and bring back her advent gift. She loves him! Maybe because he's always holding a gift in the morning, lol?

{{gwi:190675}}

{{gwi:190676}}

Next are these trees,my Christmas craft for the season, sitting next to my computer desk

{{gwi:190677}}

And last a pic I took of Bella modeling a dress my sister made for her. The material's a print of Christmas dogs and cats. She tried it on just before getting on her pjs for bed which explains the barefeet:)

{{gwi:190679}}

Eden

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

WELCOME LURKER #2!!! Anita, sure glad you turned up! Maybe you'll get a pet goldfish for Christmas? LOL Please join us frequently.

Eden, thank you for the Jan Brett site. I mailed it along to Sarah right away. Bella is amazing. ..in so many ways!!! I love her imagination and your special bond with things artistic and cuddly. Cute cute cute! That latest photo makes her look so mature.

Honey, your house looks fabu fabu...just as I remember it. I still LOVE the red! Will DGN spend much time with you at Christmas? I'm sure we'll have puppy tales to share in the new year!

Marian, to top it off, I got a phone call today from the pharmacy announcing a special seniors discount day. Oh brother...now they'll plague me by phone too.

Deanne, I feel for you with your post office woes. I try to be organized too. I think they're out to foil my every attempt sometimes.

Wendy, yes indeed, the videos are a huge help. I love it that DD shares a great deal with me since her marriage. Just today we tried to come up with solutions to Skyler's many behavior/attitude problems. This business of two households I'd only wish on my worst enemy. It's so unfair to dump trash on a little kid. These days I suspect he's mother to his Mom. DD witnessed their interactions at his school play last night and didn't even recognize him. It is not a healthy relationship having him whine about how much he misses her. He doesn't! He plays right into her needy games. She has been lax too about getting him to be punctual, complete homework etc., and this carries over to DD's home. Yet, she's signed him up for an 8AM running team. DD refused to take him because he got 5/14 on his science test. School comes first for her. His desk at school is a total disaster, even though his Mom signed him up for an organization course. (Can you believe?) Sarah is working with him on organization, but a course that's a 2 hour drive? Pulleez! Oh, did I tell you these things drive me nuts and that I'm proud that Sarah does not strangle the ex? OK, I'm done venting. Thanks.
    'bug

• gardeningmary
    16 years ago

Greetings everyone

Life has been crazy busy here with something on every evening after school and all weekend. Mostly good things though so I'm not complaning, just coming up for air to say I miss you all. Unable to type at any decent speed for the sort of post I'd like to write I'll list some of our activites instead as a way of staying in touch.

Annie and I played with her music school in a benefit concert raising $3000 for a childhood cancer organization. I narrated the Night before Christmas and played the Bach Double VIolin Concerto. Annie presented the check.

David and I spent a good part of Sunday at a model train exhibit at RIT. He loved every minute and had some great talks with the other train buffs. I came to the conclusion facial hair appears to be a pre-requisite for the hobby and the wearing of overalls and train caps a popular option.

Violin lessson for Annie with a new piece to study.

Bass lesson for David. He's learned two 12 bar blues patterns and has fun improvising.

Spent 1 hour 55 minutes at the pediatrician's office for the children's annual check up - sheesh!

Watched David earn 2 more stipes on his purple belt in the testing class in Karate.

Helped Annie construct a 35 inch tall structure using only popsicle sticks and white glue that would support a bowling bowl for 14 seconds. Unfortunately the structure weighed over 125 grams and was disquliified. 6+ hours and no points awarded - where do teachers come up with this stuff? - ACK!

Helped David learn more of the Villa-Lobos piece he is playing on the guitar (Valsa Choro). Beautiful and a real challenge but it's starting to come together.

Took both kids to the dentist for annual cleaning - teeth look great and Annie will be through with braces by the end of the summer - yay! Just in time to start on David's otho - groan;0( This stuff costs an arm and a leg.

Had car die on my way into work. Was able to pull off the road just in time as the ploughs were steaming up and down and it was snowing like crazy. The gas was low, but not out but a good samaritan stopped and asked if he could help, and suggested adding gas anyway. He returned with a fulll can and the car started right up. There are some very good people in the world! I learned the hard way that what DH says is true - you need to fill up long before hitting 1/8 mark in winter. I'm stopping by tomorrow at the kind man's house with a card and basket and payment for the gas.

Spent every free moment not running around beading dragonfly pins for Chirstmas presents for my work friends. I love the way they are turning out but as each takes several hours I am totally crazy to be attempting it. Pictures I hope to follow.

I haven't had time to even skim above but I know there are some fabulous photos to enjoy and lurkers to welcome. I just didn't want to be gone too long.

I still have Christmas cards to write and am throwing a birthday party a week from Saturday for a dear friend so it might be a little while before I'm back as much as I'd like to be. But Christmas will be spent at home and we're staying put the week between Chistmas and New years to relax and unwind - yippee!! I see some good Idylling time in my future.

Thinking of you all

Mary

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Welcome Anita and Anise great to have you. Just jump right in and ask away.

bug, as disfunctional as the relationship between Skylar and his mom, at least she is in his life. My DD suffered immensely wishing her father would take an interest in her. Im sure its very challenging though. The costumes look like lots of fun. We had so much fun playing "dress up" as a child. I have saved all my DDs dance recital costumes and hope Kenzie will enjoy them.

Eden, I love your little trees. Are they wrapping paper pinned to Styrofoam forms? Bellas feather tree is so precious. Bella looks so grownup. I got Kenzies Christmas picture yesterday and realized how grown up she looks in it. Shes coming over tonight to see our tree and have dinner. We are getting her a doll stroller for Christmas, books and more animals to go with the ones we got for her birthday and then well see what we find. Im praying that your moms tests have encouraging results. Sorry to hear of Isaacs lameness.

We just found out that my dad has glaucoma but thats is supposedly a more rare kind that is harder to control. Its actually a side effect of a syndrome, which is hereditary.

Honey, your fireplace decorations and the wall color are wonderful! I really like the limey color with the red.

Marian, my experience is when I have purchased 2 bags of groceries, 3 gallons of milk and a gallon of juice and the kid asks "do you need help with those?" Duh!
    Norma, OWI is the acronym that the Iowa courts use for operating while under the influence.

Chelone, I often think of the fact that all the people who commit such horrible crimes were once someones little one. Sorry to hear that your kitty is declining so quickly.

Michelle

• chelone
    16 years ago

For some time the message on our answering machine was, "Leave a message, if you dare". So! it's very nice to note 2 new voices who "dare". Welcome aboard. But I have to say this, what's with the whole "invitation" thing? I don't "get" that notion, at all; this is the internet and it's open to everyone! (those who dare).

It's snowing steadily now; the little icy flakes that tell you it's cold outside. And it's accumulating and the intesity is increasing steadily, too. But my car is in the garage! The helpmeet set out the drill (outfitted with a crappy bit) as I requested this morning... when the snow was supposed to start at 5-6 PM. I have put any notion I may've had about putting greens in the windowboxes clear out of my head. FORGET THAT FOOLISHNESS. It'll happen tomorrow or Saturday.

I purchased a new pair of boots on the way home today. I have too long endured a pair that totally suck. The have felt liners but no padding/cushioning on the soles and they're COLD. The uppers are fabric and floppy, there is no support for your ankles, at all. So I bit the bullet and purchased a pair by Columbia (after trying on several other brands and really walking around in them). The price made me choke, but at 48 I'm probably not going to grow much more and they'll be with me for many years to come. Mum always used to say, "cheap shoes are no bargain, dear". Winter isn't my favorite season by a long shot, but I know well that being warm and properly "kitted out" (where IS Mary?!) makes the cold and snow much more palatable. And yes, Wendy, I finally had to put my sandals away for the season...

Honey, I love the way you've "done up" your home... keep your eye on that roly-poly kitty though; I see fragments of fleece and stuffing all over the room if you don't, lol. Another reason I hate dogs. I listened to so much static about gloss black doors I "caved in" (unusual for me). The doors face south and "fade" will be an issue over time. But I really thought a glistening black would have looked "boss", too. Your's is the only other voice to say the black would've looked nice! Great minds think alike, huh? Dog breed "personalities" fascinate me. I'm hugely in favor of positive reinforcement, it's what gets results in the long term. But breeds that have been bred for centuries to peform a specific task also have a way of "locking on the radar" to the exclusion of all else, "getting their attention" back on you isn't always that easy. And there comes a time when "off leash" is required for continued obedience work. Herding and working dogs are bred to be independent thinkers and that can prove trying when training (don't I know it)! I have never used one of those buzz collars with Rex, but I certainly can see how it could be helpful when he is annoyingly just out of reliable voice control and the inevitable "distraction" pops up. We have no interest in owning a dog that must be leashed or fenced at all times; we have a dog to patrol the property to deter deer and other unwanted visitors and provide companionship. I rather like that he barks like hell and puts "the fear of god" into people who enter the compound unannounced. (I am a wicked soul). My neighbor uses that sort of collar to the exclusion of obedience work and I think that's a shame!

The garage is 28'w X 36'l. The garage bays have 9' ceilings and the Salon has an 8' ceiling. The roof is supported by attic "storage" trusses, so the space upstairs is completely open and there is a huge storage area above it all. The doors for the storage area will be constructed later in the winter... I'm not keen on the plastic solution. The stair case is 48" wide and the first run goes to a landing and turns a corner before delivering you to the north end of the Salon (in the under staircase space the oil tank will reside along with whatever else will fit nicely in there). Heating is an oil fired, forced hot air system (there is no water to the building) and there is the provision for woodstoves. My late FIL was an architect and my father worked in the building trades, too (plumbing and heating). We had a very clear notion of what we wanted the building to DO for us. We hired good people and we LISTENED to them and worked with them when a difficulty presented itself (Rich would probably like working with/for us). With the exception of the foot-dragging electrician it's been smooth sailing, if a bit slow, but that's part of being your own GC. Sheet rock is slated for delivery tomorrow sometime (wonderin' about that) and the guys are going to begin next week.

I was interested in Wendy's "take" on the idea of allowing Jake to fail compared to my own. I didn't see the notion as unconscionable, at all. Rather, I saw it as a bit of "tough love"... the reality of a failing grade is greatly different than the vague notion of it! It's what the NPR Car Talk guys call a "dope slap". Some shame, some embarrassment, a little humiliation... I don't think that's such a bad thing you guys. And I was interested in Kathy's perspective, too, about home schooling. In the course of my work I meet several "liveaboard" families in a year. These are families that live on boats (usually sailboats in the 40' range) and come from all over the world! I've yet to meet a kid from that background that was rude or out of control in any way; on the contrary! The kids are uniformly polite (ASKING before they touch things!) and comfortable dealing with adults in business settings. They are interesting, too; when quizzed about their interests they bubble over. When I think "home schooling" I don't think of religious funadamentalists immediately. Rather, I think of adventurous parents who love their kids and believe that exploring adds a whole new dimension to education. Interesting thoughts from interesting people I like very much. Another reason the Idyll du jour is such fun.

OK, need to hear from Cindy and DREMA (whatyagotplanned for your next career?).

Ei. , your story is painfully reminiscent of my own experience with Mum. She was fiercely "private" about her health because she was so afraid of losing her independence. The saddest lesson her story can impart is that had she done the basic things it took a CRISIS to get done (living will, healthcare POA, updated will/trust, and legal POA) before the -hit hit the fan her life in her own home could have been extended relatively easily! That's another of those things I wish I could "edit". Mum and I shared many common loves/interests, but on several levels we were VERY different. She was shocked by the way I've chosen to live my life; doing what I've liked when I've wanted to, and not really caring a fig what "anyone thought". Hindsight has made me wonder if her "disapproval" was more about her own regrets about her own choices than about my choices for my life. But I think she came to appreciate that aspect of me when the chips were down and she needed someone to "go to bat for her". She felt the same way about my brother, too, I suspect; but a male marching to the beat of his own drum was different for her than a daughter doing it. She could be acid tongued and stiffly dismissive when I expressed privately held desires to her. Perfect example: I would like to cross the Atlantic Ocean on an ocean liner one time in my life. I want to be at sea for the amount of time required to traverse it on a ship. When I shared that with her she shrugged and said, "you'll likely never get to do it, so why not plan for something you can more readily achieve?". That came from a woman who'd never crossed the Mississippi River and had never been out of the country aside from a few trips to Canada. So I understand how stifling/cutting your Mom's comments can be. Completely. It doesn't take the sting out of them, though, does it? ;) Keep being you and keep your distance; I'll wager dollars against doughnuts your time will come with respect to caretaking.

Deanne, I love the ornament shot. I should appreciate the specs you gave, but nudnik that I am, much of it went over my head. I DO need to get together with you, camera and manual in tow. And I am SO there for "lunch" you guys. I need to hang out with people who like to laugh. Let's set a date to "solve the world's problems"!

OK, that's it for me right now. (I'm wearing my new boots to see if they really ARE comfortable, so far, so good! my feet are PLENTY warm right now.

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

I'm not sure how much I can post because I have this yellow lab who is insisting that her head, not the computer should be in my lap. She can be very pushy at times!

Welcome, Anise and Anita! But why couldn't it have been Anise and Zebulon? Don't worry, you'll get used to my humor.

Anita, what area of the 'burbs are you in? I'm in the far northwest suburbs.

Kathy, my "bestest" Christmas ever was the year that I woke up and found Patty Play Pal standing in front of the Christmas tree!

Butterscotch looks adorable and I think her best feature is what she doesn't do, as Chelone pointed out.

Chelone, I will pass on your greetings!

DD is done with finals and heads home tomorrow. DS has one more to go, and is almost through the backlog of missing assignments that he had accumulated. He said today that he feels like a heavy burden has been lifted off of him. I think (and hope) that he is learning the value of reaching out for help.

One comment about our mothers and their health. My mom always was very healthy and strong, but could not be bothered to go to the doctor. Then when she just couldn't shake a bad cold, we convinced her to get it checked out. It turned out that cancer had spread through her lungs and was virtually untreatable at that point. (side note: she never smoked but lived for over thirty years with my father who was a very heavy smoker) I still wonder if the cancer would have been detected earlier had she been getting regular check ups. She passed away just days after her 69th birthday. So even though I have groused a bit about four trips to the clinic just to confirm that I am healthy, I am glad that I am keeping up on all of that fun stuff.

So I have a dishwasher to empty, a sink to clear out, a fridge to purge, garbage to wrap and the last string of tree lights to hang. Do you think I'll get it all done in 60 minutes? Someone tell the plants to please hang in there until morning!

V. (I've read everyone else's posts but if I comment any further, I'll never get my list done!)

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

I'm keeping up too.

Thank you Michelle for making me see the other twist to DGS's situation. I get so angry and need to see the positives.

Chelone, how I wish I could send you one of my transAtlantic trips! First of all I get violently seasick, so 7 days of that is a deadly experience. The people and social stuff was simply not my style: sitting at the captain's table, dances, formal dress, drink, etc. (I was 8 and 12 years old.) I recall the menus were superb with amazing art work at each meal...which I could not eat. By day two I was in the cabin's bathroom for 6 more days. I have a memory of porpoises (dolphins?) following the boat's wake. There was shuffle board, a swimming pool with gigantic waves. Ping pong on a rocking boat was an adventure too. Boats were less expensive than air travel then.
    'bug

Mary, it all sounds GOOD but exhausting. Music belongs at all times, but especially at Christmas!

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Im trying to Idyll and be productive at the same time. And drink a glass of wine. I started working on my Oregon box to take to the UPS store tomorrow, and now Im taking a break. So many chatty posts that the break has now outlasted the chores.What a slacker!

Anita, welcome and jump in at will ! Is a suburb of Chicago considered places like Lincoln Park, Chicago Heights, Oak Park etc or further out ? I grew up In LA and just about everywhere is a suburb there ! I love Chicago but do not care to spend a winter there , lol.

Hi Mary- glad you checked in ! Sounds like you are one busy Mom right now !

Heck Eden, we cant get sick of you yet, you still have lost time to make up for !

Chelone, I add my vote to the gloss black doors. But one does have to achieve consensus.

Wendy, I have decided that my new to be selected abode in Oregon will have a red dining room.

V, my Patty Play Pal was a brunette with a brown dress with yellow flowers. My friend George got a surrey (with fringe) that year and we drove Patty Play Pal up and down the block .

OK this is all I have steam for tonight I have to finish my box prepwishing you a pleasant good evening..

Kathy in Napa

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

It's me, Katie, checking in between naps and snacks with a naked picture for Chelone. Yes, I do have a funny face, mama has measured my nose and my ears and says my forehead is extra big because I am very smart. (She is right of course.)

{{gwi:190680}}

Here I am having supper tonight. I should be wearing my chicken nightgown, not cows,on chickie night, right? Mama has a small forehead I think.

{{gwi:190681}}

Ok, and here's the naked picture I promised. You can't see my zipper can you? Ha. A girl must leave something to the imagination you know. I will have a zipper-ectomy in a few weeks if I take all of my pills, eat everything in or out of my bowl, and don't jump around or twirl at all. The first two things are easy, but I am a gifted twirler and I need to spin again!

{{gwi:190682}}

In this picture I am telling mama I need to spin NOW. I am shaking the whole kitchen with my pre-twirl vibrations, that's why it's blurry. Anyway, this picture is the real me!

{{gwi:190683}}

Thank you for all your good wishes and white light. I can not eat those things, but I know they are important to my recovery!

XXXooo, Katie

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Cynthia, how great to see pictures of Katie looking so happy! Thanks for those!

Kathy, I was just reading about Patty. First made in 1959, 35" tall and she wore a perfect size 3T. Pretty cool girl she was I'm sure!

Chelone, I think your garage may be bigger than my little house:)

Hi Anita and welcome!

V, my sons last exam was yesterday too.

Mary, I imagined you were really busy and it sounds like you are. Glad you checked in though!

Michelle, I used the 12" scrapbook paper sheets to make the trees and yep, styrofoam cones. I would have liked to have used the paper printed on both sides but made due with what I had in the house. I'm glad you like them:)

I wonder how Cindy's doing too. Well I hope!

That's it from me for today! Say goodnight.

Eden

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    16 years ago

TGIF!

Pictures of Katie are bringing a smile to my face this morning.

Welcome to new idyllers Anita and Anise!

We got a bit of snow here yesterday. The official measurement at my house was nine inches. It caused a bit of a traffic nightmare in the Hartford area last night mostly because the plows couldn't get through the traffic to do their thing. I left work just before four and got home in half an hour (usually 15 minutes). I would have had no problem if it hadn't been for the plethora of a$$holes in cars who couldn't get out of their own way. Even the slightest incline had people sideways, skidding and pulled over. Getting around them was like navigating an obstacle course. Four wheel drive rules. I'll never be without it. Sky is clear this morning and it's supposed to be sunny and 40. Tomorrow...another storm...lol. I hate winter.

Chelone, love the garage. Does it have a water view? Toss a porta potty out back and I'll move in for the summer. Better yet, how about a full bath in the salon complete with a soaking tub? LOL..love spending other people's money. Cha ching!

Look how cute Bella is in her new dress.

Love seeing everyone's decorations. Keep em coming.

Allright, time to get to work.

Sue

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Good Morning and Hi Sue!

Just a quick post from me. Bella will be here today so no playing on Idylls all day for me.

Sue, I hate winter too. We've been lucky this year. All of the bad stuff has pretty much stayed to the south of us. Hope I didn't just jinx myself saying that.

Chelone, the salon would be the perfect place to rent out to summer vacationers. You could be like Bob Newhart, running a little New England bed and breakfast?

Michelle, I'm sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis. I hope they come up with a treatment for him. I'm fast coming to the conclusion that it's no fun getting old.

I beat Brad in backgammon this morning after getting gammoned yesterday. Hope it continues to be a good day for us all.

Eden

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good snowy morning,

We got about nine inches of snow here also. I can remember so many winters where we didnt have even a dusting of snow at Christmas. This winter has certainly started out with a bang and its not even winter yet. We are supposed to get another storm tomorrow night into Sunday and then Monday morning the temps are supposed to be hovering around zero! Good grief! ~~ Poor Doug didnt make it home last night and is waiting on another delayed flight this morning after US Airways called at 3AM to inform him that his connection from Laguardia to Manchester was cancelled. He got a flight routed through Philadelphia and now that is delayed as well. Hell be lucky to get home by mid afternoon. It would have been quicker to drive, which is what he normally does but he thought hed try going commercial this time around. Im predicting hell be driving to Rochester instead of flying commercial in the future.

Welcome Anita! Looking forward to hearing more from you. Sounds like you are pretty close to V., Drema and Ei.

Eden what a delightful pic of Bella in her new dress. I love that her toes are curled under. LOL Was the floor cold? ~~ I just love those paper Christmas trees! So pretty. Did you have a pattern for that or did you make it up. Youre so clever.

Mary, wow, sounds like you are busier than you were a month ago. Super Mom! I love to hear about all the music in your lives. Thats fantastic. I almost had Doug call you last night when his flight was cancelled. He was feeling pretty down in the dumps but I figured you were busy, busy, busy and I was right.

Michelle, sorry to hear about your fathers glaucoma. ~~ How did your dinner with Kenzie go last night? Are you going to show us her Christmas picture? Please? I laughed when you said you are getting her a doll stroller. When I got my first doll stroller when I was a little girl I immediately took it outside and used it to carry rocks around and put a hole through the bottom. ROTFLOL at myself.

Chelone, I cant wait to see your salon all finished up. Id give my right arm for a set up like that. Unfortunately with our zoning regulations I cant put a second floor on my garage. I wish I could as Id love to have my painting studio up there. ~~ Glad to hear you are going to try to come for lunch. Wendy and I are talking about the week after Christmas? Bring your camera?

Soooo. Happy to see Katie! Shes looking perkier and will be back to her old twirly self soon.

Honey, I just love your mantle decorations! That Santa is a classic and would look great with my collection. LOL

Wendy, Im with you that its time to fire up the blender. We might just have to have two Thumb our Noses at Winter parties in 08 since Winter is starting to thumb its nose at us early this year. ~~ Looks like Chelone will be able to join us for lunch. What day is good for you the week after Christmas?

V. good for you with keeping up with your health checks. As unpleasant as some of it is (like the oh so fun colonoscopy) it can keep us going longer with a better quality of life. Which reminds me that its time for me to schedule my annual boob squish. Yukky but necessary. I just found out that my across the street neighbor was diagnosed with breast cancer from a mammography screening. We also found out at the same time that her husband who is a heavy smoker was diagnosed with stage three esophageal cancer. Not good. His mom passed away six months ago and he probably wont make another year. Really sad. When our across the street neighbor died of emphysema (from smoking) three years ago I asked this other neighbor, whos just been diagnosed with cancer, if hed considered quitting yet. His answer at that time was, "Ive got to die of something". So now he is.

OK so I just heard from Doug and the flight was delayed another hour so he opted to get off the plane. Hes rented a car and is now driving home. Its too bad he didnt just start driving at this morning when he left for the airport instead of trying to get home flying. Hed almost be home by now. Oh well, Im going to have to shovel a path through the snowbank for him to get into the driveway. I cant run our huge, very old, cranky 25 year old snowblower. So Im off to do cardio shoveling. Ill post a couple pics later. I played with some available light photos last night of the back yard in the snow. Got a couple neat ones I think youll like.

Later all
    Deanne

PS Sue how about shrimp and whoopee pies for Christmas??? LOL

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Just killing time on the computer waiting for Bella to arrive.

Deanne, poor Doug! You'll have to make him a special dinner or something tonight after all he's been through.

Michelle, yes please do show us Kenzie's Christmas picture. And I'll post Bella's. Any other kid's Christmas pictures out there for us to see??? Bet you had fun with Kenzie last night showing her your decorations. Love to hear about it...

Deanne, here's a link to the tutorial for the trees. They were a fun and easy little project.

Eden

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Only light snowfall here, but so dreary! What a December it has been...I'm not a winter person either. Each year I get more nervous about falls. I can just imagine a puppy between my feet.

I'm about to head into Toronto for the day. This is a quick decision, but DH is going in on business and I just called friend Lynn for a get together.

Katie, so good to see you!! You're looking GOOD! Indy dog is recovering well from her surgery and is prancing about happily. Hard to keep a good dog down.

Lots to clean up still around here, but a break will do me good. We've had lots of discouraging stuff trying to close DH's old business, dealing with a difficult grad student and his weak thesis,etc. I'd love to thumb my nose with one and all, but I'll be away for the first event. Perhaps I can join you for THUMBS II.

Good for you Eden with the backgammon win! I hope your day continues on that happy note!

Later friends,
    'bug

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

This morning at our house:

{{gwi:190684}}

This is frost...snow will probably arrive tonight.

• wendy2
    16 years ago

Good digging out morning!

Winter did more than thumb its nose at me yesterday - it kicked me right in the a$$! Knowing that the storm was coming, I left the office at 1:45, about an hour after the snow started falling. It took me until 6:30 pm to get home! (My commute home in normal rush-hour conditions is around 45 minutes) Traffic was totally gridlocked, I guess the entire city decided to head home early. The highway was also bumper to bumper, everyone was moving too slowly to skid. Traffic was actually stopped for much of the time, people were hopping out of their cars on I-93 to clear off their windshields! Once the stop-and-go eased up, the conditions were horrible. The plows were nowhere to be seen, the lane markers were invisible, and the breakdown lane was a snowdrift. I passed several exits I could have used to get off the "Highway to He!!", but the snowdrifts in the right lane blocked access. Thank goodness I had the cell phone with me, I could keep checking in with DH. I guess the Mass. state attorney general is going to investigate the handling of the snow removal. I was a little traumatized thinking about getting onto the highway today, but the sun was out and the roads were plowed, I sailed to work in record time.

Honey, I had the same thought about the Xmas Kitty that Chelone did - a puppy would find that Oh-so-tempting. Your decorations are lovely though.

Katie, you look wonderful! I can see the sparkle in your eyes. You'll be well enough to twirl in no time!

Deanne, poor Doug. How frustrating. I'm sure he will be driving from now on - at least he can be his own pilot then! I just looked at the calendar, Christmas is on Tuesday, and I can do lunch on Wednesday if that works. If not, maybe the following week on Tuesday or Wednesday? Chelone, is Chelmsford far for you? The place we went last time is pretty close to 495. Saucy, what about you?

Chelone, I do agree with allowing a child to fail if they are slacking off and not doing what is expected. A dope slap may indeed be called for if that is the case. However, if he is not doing the work because he can't learn the way they are teaching him, then it may not be completely his fault. Often when a child can't read or understand what is in front of them, they get frustrated and give up. It may look like they aren't trying, when in fact they want to do the work but are not able. I don't have a lot of faith in school counselors at the middle and high school level - their focus tends to be more on discipline and control than on child development. I've had a good experience with the elementary school staff, but I dread my son's transition to middle school next year.

Ei, I meant to say Hi to you - nice to see you back here!

Anyway, back to work I guess.

-Wendy

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Here is a pic of our noon visitor !

{{gwi:190685}}

It has made two tours of our yard...one right after the other! Thank goodness the cats are still okay. Trubby and Callie were outside during the visits. I coaxed Trubby back in after the second tour, but he is back out on the deck now...just a-watching...

• denisez10
    16 years ago

Jeez, Wendy, I'm traumatized just reading of your commute! I was able to take the metro yesterday, on the platform before 6 a.m. and home before 5, but beat nonetheless.

Roo-rooo to Katie, hello to de-lurkers, lots to say but no time at the moment. Love the critter pictures, Marian. I think I'll paste the coyote pic on the window for Joe to peruse. He's bugging the heck out of us to go out and play but doc says not yet. The house seems to be in preholiday meltdown mode at the moment.

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Afternoon all,

Well I'm taking a break here, I just shoveled out 2/3rds of our largish driveway (its triple wide and triple deep) and I'm going to be a hurting puppy in a few hours. The very lovely news is that just about the time I was running out of steam (I'd been shoveling for two hours at this point)one of my neighbors fired up his snow blower and finished up the last 1/3rd of the driveway. He'd come home for lunch and must have taken pity on this weary woman. That was a really sweet thing for him to do. Doug is still driving home and I was quite sure he didnt want to have to deal with clearing out the driveway when he got home. Also, he couldnt have gotten into the driveway because of the huge two and a half foot pile of snow at the end from the plow. So that mission is accomplished and Im wishing I had enough stamina left to shovel out the hot tub because I could REALLY use a soak right about now.

Eden, thanks for the link to that site for the paper trees. I just love the topiary one. Very clever.

OH my Wendy! That commute sounds dreadful. I feel your pain! Years ago I was stuck on 128 in the Blizzard of 78. Same deal, it took me about seven hours to get home from Cambridge that day and Ill never forget it. I can do lunch the Wednesday after Christmas or New Years. Either works for me. How about Chelone and Saucy?

Wow Marian looks like Wild Kingdom there today. I sure hope your kitties stay safe.

I played with my camera and some available light photography last night again. Here is one after the snow let up looking into the dining room
    {{gwi:190686}}

And this one is looking from the dining room outside at the snow. It really surprised me how much of the outside the camera picked up in this one.
    {{gwi:190687}}

OK Im going to heat up some turkey soup for Doug as he should be home within the hour. Have a great afternoon all.
    Deanne

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Oh Deanne, very pretty! Both shots look like they could be Christmas cards. I love the blanket of undisturbed snow. It all looks so peaceful.

Wendy, sorry to hear about the nightmare commute home. Glad you made it safe and sound.

Well, I just heard from my mom. The news was that one Dr. sees nothing and another sees a spot so she's going with the second opinion and opting for the radiation. Probably 4 weeks starting after the holidays. Nothing showed up anywhere else so that was good news. Thanks for your good thoughts and prayers. Spending lots of time here on Idylls yesterday was just the distraction I needed to keep myself from worrying too much.

Eden

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Deanne, have you seen this? I can just picture some beautiful winter containers at your place.

• Jerri_OKC
    16 years ago

It's so fun reading everyones posts. We have done nothing for the holidays so I get to celebrate (live?) here. LOL

Question for everyone:

What would it be like to quit your job and start over in a more appealing career? What would you do?
    I'm sick to death of my 'career' and I want to do something new and different. I'm aprehensive since I'm 49 now. Is it too late to begin again in the business world? No one is better for advice than the Idylls! Please chime in if you have time. :)

Jerri

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Sorry that my wildlife pics weren't clearer. I had to take them from the vestbule, through the front door and storm door windows, to keep from scaring the varmints off. Besides, it was pretty gray out. It would be nice if I had a zoom lens....

I can identify with the horrendous driving conditions. My experience was many years ago, when Tim was small. I was bringing Nolon home from the VA hospital in Boise. The highway was solid ice. It was 132 miles of it. A 3 hour drive turned into an all day drive, with my foot shaking like a leaf on the gas pedal. The main differance with my drive was the absence of very many other vehicles. My 2 passingers slept through most of the trip.

I avoid icy roads like the plague now-a-days.

Deanne, your outside pic after the snow let up is perfect!
    Sure glad you had help with your driveway. Good neighbers are gems.

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Eden, good news that your Mom's prognosis is looking good. I'm glad she's opting for the radiation. Better to be safe. ~~ Love, love, love those winter containers. I've always wanted to do something like that but it seems by the time I get everything put away I don't have the energy left to do anything for the winter. I really need to think about it for next year though.

Jerri, well good for you. I've been trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my life for three years now and still haven't come to any conclusions. I don't know exactly what your background is other than that you work with computers. Doug changed careers when he turned 50 from Purchasing and Materials management to Oracle Software Business Analyst. I didn't believe he could do it but he made a very successful change so it can be done.

I've been playing with pics today. Here is one from this morning of the terraces
    {{gwi:190689}}

The same garden in August
    {{gwi:190691}}

Deanne

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Deanne, have you seen this? I can just picture some beautiful winter containers at your place.

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Well I don't know how I just managed to repost that? I wanted to say that both photos are beautiful but I'd like to be transported into the summer one right now. I just heard we may be getting a snow storm of our own Sat. nite into Sun.

Marian, thanks for sharing the wildlife photos. That last one is scary for the cats! I hate ice most of all too and won't drive if it's even a possibility in the forecast.

Eden

• Jerri_OKC
    16 years ago

Deanne, I'm not sure if it's the recent deaths in my family or what but I'm really feeling the need to 'make a difference'. As you can imagine, working in the government is not especially rewarding. LOL
    My whole career has been in computers - 15 years with IBM in large system service/support and disk drive development. Now I work with data backup. When I went to college I wanted to do something in the medical field but somehow it didn't happen. I am toying with going into nursing, med. Tech or something. I was there when my dad died and the nurse was just a godsend for us. As the poster family for disfunctional families it didn't bring out the best in us!

Warning - pity party

I'm sorry for being even less chatty than usual but last Christmas Eve Mom passed away and this now we are dealing with dad's death and trying to settle the estate. (/end pity party)

Carry on Idylls! Love the photos everyone.

• anitamo
    16 years ago

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Feels good.

V...I'm near Elmhurst.
    Kathy in Napa...The ones you mentioned are all suburbs, but not Lincoln Park. That's just an area of Chicago, called a community area (of which there are about 80 of these areas.
    I'm ashamed I don't know the city well, but that's because I get claustrophobic every time I enter it. I love the space the suburbs provide.

marian...such great wildlife right outside your door. Was that a coyote or a wolf? Was it looking for the deer? LOL

Jerri...it's never to late to start a new career if you have a passion for something. Most people would be afraid to rock the boat later in life, but you have to take a risk if that's what you want. Do you have something specific in mind?

Enjoy your evening everyone. And hope the snow doesn't become too much for all the New Englanders.

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Jerri, some very dear friends of ours lost their Dad on Thanksgiving day several years ago and their Mom on Christmas Eve the same year. Please feel free to indulge yourself in a pity parlor. Hugs....

BTW. Doug said to email me/him your resume and he'd be happy to make some career choice recommendations based on your current skills sets. If you want to completely change things out and want to get into nursing I have another dear friend who has been in the field for many years and she'd be happy to give you advice.

Anita, thanks for snow sympathy. I think like all those in northern climes we all just like to complain about the snow thing but are all resigned to the fact that winter is winter and deal with it; but its fun to whine about it LOL.

Eden, I'm with you girl! I'd like to transport myself to the summer pic. I was looking at the summer garden pics from this year and feeling a bit forlorn.

OK I'm off to tuck myself into bed for the evening with my lovely Douglas who finally made it home. Poor guy's exhausted after the trials and tribulations of trying to return from Rochester. So my DH is home and all is well in our world tonight and I'm counting my blessings.
    Deanne

• dodgerdudette
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Friday is a welcome visitor. My task for this weekend will be to finish planting the tulips and avoiding any stores except the grocery ! I still havent shaken this damn cold all the way, I dont feel bad at all , but Im going through Kleenex to a fare-thee-well. Maybe what I need is a Bloody Mary with x-tra horseradish and Tabasco.

Katie, ever so glad to see you looking so chipper in your attractive lounge-wear . Thanks to your Mom for posting these pics !

Jerri, I am in the process of selling my home of 15 plus years and relocating 500 miles north. I also will be leaving a career I have had for 20 years. Im in my mid 5-0s. My goal is to take off work for 6 to 12 months and find something that is in horticulture, even if its just plain old retail and watering plants. This is what I did in my 20s. I know many people at my company who are retired from their first career- one gentleman has been there for a year longer than I have and it is basically his retirement job. If you are in a position to do something you love and are interested in I say go for it ! I remember may years ago I had a sales rep whose wife was a nurse. He was fascinated by her stories and descriptions of her worklife and became more and more drawn to nursing as a career. He quit his job in his mid 40s and went to nursing school, and is very happy with his choice. Believe me Jerri, if you have already taken the step of admitting to yourself that you are dissatisfied and ready for a change your attitude will suffer and only make things worse. It is scary to make these kind of changes, but exciting too. I wish you the best in thinking this throughthe support of family members will help.

Deanne , those snow photos are so beautiful ! And poor Dougs saga of his quest to get home is an interesting counterpoint . How fun that you posted the snow and non snow pics of the terrace garden. Its hard to imagine that they are the same place. Im very impressed with your snow shoveling skillswish I was close enough to come and thumb my nose with yall , but Im not sure my wardrobe is sufficient for winter in New England !

Marian, when you get frost you really get it dont you ? Is that a coyote or is it a wolf ? Looks awfully pretty for a coyote ! Maybe our western versions are scrawnier than the eastern counterparts.

Eden, I wish I were organized enough to do a few elegant winter containers ! Maybe next year ..

Ok, time to sign off for tonite

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Anita and Kathy, it is a coyote. I wanted to post another pic of it and one of the neighbor's Great Pyrenees (Sam), but PictureTrail is down ! I've been trying to make connection with it for an hour or more, but no luck. Kind of scary....I have over 950 pics there.
    The wind is whistling around our house, and sure sounds like winter ! So far it is only raining ( again).

Yes, Kathy. With our high humidity we really get heavy frosts, espacially if it is foggy.

I think I will call it a day...see you all en la manana.

Marian

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Its late so I'll keep it short. One of my favorites was Charming Chatty with eyeglasses and records that made her talk.

Per requests, here is Ms. Kenzie:
    {{gwi:190693}}

Deanne, your tree is lovely and the snow outside the windows is so perfect. It reminds me of a picture perfect Christmas Eve. Thanks for the offer of the ornaments, but you really don't have to do that. I laughed about your carrying rocks around as a child, I guess that was the start of it all LOL

Eden, I read the article about the winter containers in the lastest issue and was intrigued. I did something similar last winter with a dwarf alberta spruce, redtwig dogwood branches, rose hips and other evergreens. The spruce didn't make the winter but was cheap.

Marian, we have lots of deer, but I haven't seen any coyote. I think there are some around, but I'm glad they don't come close enough for a photo op.

To bed with me.
    Michelle

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

After reading Anita's words about not knowing the city well I want to share my day's excursion.

We drove from our snowy rural area into Toronto. We waited until after rush hour. There was less snow the closer we got, but the fumes from cars and city began bothering me well before we arrived. The call of the city is most infrequent for me.

We managed to locate a parking spot right away because we have a tiny vehicle that fits where others cannot. Yeah! I joined DH at his old company's office because I knew there was a washroom there. Lots of construction going on nearby which is rather exciting.

I feel as though I come from Mars each time I arrive in the big city. EVERYONE has a cell phone attached to his ear. Pedestrians cross when and where they wish without looking or interrupting their cell phone conversations. Amazing talent there!

It used to be doughnut shops on each corner, but now it is coffee shops.

The subway was clean, safe and fine. I could even hear the announced stops clearly. In the stores people were polite...but too enthusiastic once again to treat me as the old lady. When I called friend Lynn to meet me, a sales person said:
    "May I dial that phone number for you?"
    Good grief.

Anyway, we had a very enjoyable brief visit with Lynn's daughter and grandbaby Wyn. What a cutie, but a totally different shape from Reed who is long and skinny.

A real plus for me was seeing people of all shapes, sizes and colours busy going about their lives. I'm always truly saddened by street people, of which there are many. But seeing handicapped folks managing just fine is a huge improvement from a few years ago. Our rural community is suffering from homogeneity... we need this broader mix to add spice to our lives IMHO.

The traffic was so built up on our return trip(cars & cars & cars & cars &...) that we stopped off half way back to eat dinner with friends. A good day with plusses and minusses! Glad I don't make this trip every day though.

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

Good Morning, Snow storm expected here tonight so I need to get out and make sure we have food. Grocery shopping, not my favorite activity.

Michelle, Thank you for the pictures of Kenzie. She's just beautiful and I love the Dora theme and the Care Bears one. Such a sweet, happy girl! I just don't think there's anything better than having children around at Christmas time! I remember your pretty winter container from last year. I'd like to try a few next year.

Marie, sounds like an exciting trip to the city. Was everything there decorated for the holidays?

Deanne, so glad Doug made it home safely. So are you sore this morning from clearing the driveway?

Jerri, I say if you're ready for a change go for it. Life's too short not to make the most of it and do what makes you happy.

Here's a few more of my holiday decorations.

Santas

{{gwi:190694}}

For Martie

{{gwi:190695}}

Got this carousel this year with Bella in mind and she loves watching it go around

{{gwi:190696}}

{{gwi:190697}}

{{gwi:190698}}

{{gwi:190699}}

That's all for now. Have a great day. Hoping you all check in with what you're up to today.

Eden

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Good Morning!
    Our vegetaion is covered with ice this morning, but it appears the snow has bypassed us. Our porches look fairly ice-free so far, but the temps are to drop during the day...so that will most likely change. :-(

PT is back up, so here are the 2 pics I mentioned:

For Kathy, a front view of the coyote that shows it's slender shape.

{{gwi:190700}}

Next is my favorite neighhood dog...Sam.

{{gwi:190701}}

I got him to come right up to me, by making the 'kissing' sound and calling his name. I patted him on his big broad head and got several close-ups, but he was moving around too much, and they are blurry.

Marie, I do not envy you your day in the big city. I always avoided the downtown part of Little Rock when I went to visit the kids.I often wonder how differant my life would be if I had been born and raised in a city. The small town that we lived in, when Tim was in grade school, was big enough for me. If I remember right, it was only 4000+ in population.

I am wishing all a safe weekend.

Marian

• veronicastrum
    16 years ago

Good snowy morning! I was hoping to head out for shopping before the snow started, but at 7:00 am it already was coming down. I've got to shoo it out of here so there's plenty to share with Eden!

Last night a wonderful young woman showed up at my house and cooked a pancetta-wrapped pork roast that she had seen on the Food Channel. It was very tasty, but more importantly, it was amazing to see how confident DD is in the kitchen.

We have a holiday party tonight and a full day tomorrow. TTYL!

V.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

V, it's terrific to watch our children surprise us in wonderful ways. I hope it never ends....

• deanneart
    16 years ago

Good morning all,

Its chilly here again this AM at a brisk 14 degrees F. Brrrrr.. The kitties have taken to looking out the open door in disdain, turning their noses up and then running in the other direction when I come down to let them out in the AM. I guess Im going to have to buy another bucket of kitty litter. LOL They never use the litter box all summer long but make use of the facility when the weather is cold like this. ~~ So Im quite happy I got the driveway cleared yesterday because we are gearing up for winter storm part deux starting tonight. Were looking at another four to eight inches of snow then changing to freezing rain on top of it. I think the CT ladies are only going to get rain out of this storm but who knows. The weather does whatever it wants regardless of what the predictions are.

Im getting as bad as the cats about going out in this cold weather. Ive wanted to do some bird photography but every time I think about sitting outside in the blind Ive decided to wait until it warms up a bit. LOL Id really like to get out there though because the photo ops have been terrific with this weather. The birds feed like crazy when theres a storm coming in or when its very cold like this. I think Ill just wait until the sun gets high enough to warm up my blind though. That helps a lot.

Kathy, wed all be happy to supply you with winter woolies should you decide to join us for our Thumbs party. That would be so terrific! V. usually comes in from Chicago for the weekend. Its always a blast when we get together.

Michelle, I love that pic of Kenzie with the bears. Toooo. Cute. Its hard to believe how grown up Bella and Kenzie are looking these days. ~~ Glad the story of my hauling rocks as a youngster made you laugh. Makes me laugh too. My mother was so furious with me for putting a hole in the carriage. OH well I really did need a wheelbarrow. I guess that moving rocks has always been in my blood and growing things as well. Before I ever had a place to garden I always had a jungle of house plants.

Bug sounds like you had a great trip. Toronto is a great city. I taught in a town just outside the city about ten years back.

Eden, I just LOVE your decorations, especially the shelves with the Let it Snow vignette. Marvelous! Oh yes, Ive been meaning to ask you, when you repaint your living room are you going to re-do the lettering on the walls? I hope so, thats one of my favorites.

Another great coyote pic Marian.

V. how lovely your DD cooked dinner for you! Neat! Have a great time at your party.

OK Ive got to get off this computer and like Eden get to the grocery store. Ive not been all week and the cupboard is bare. Its so funny, when there is a storm coming the grocery is stuffed with frantic people buying food like its going out of style. I really dont think there will be a food shortage because there is going to be a snow storm. Ive never understood that behavior. Maybe we should wait until tomorrow during the snow then there wont be any crowds. LOL

Have a great day everyone
    Deanne

• Lara Noles
    16 years ago

V, take your time with that snow. I can wait! Isn't it great when daughters take an interest in cooking? Jenni's became quite the cook too. Like your dd she tries recipes she's seen on the food channel. She especially likes Rachel Ray. I get calls for my recipes too which I love. She's doing Christmas Eve dinner for her fiancee's family and Christmas dinner for our side this year. Have fun at your party. Stay safe driving in that stuff!

Eden

• chelone
    16 years ago

We went out for dinner last night with the crew from the helpmeet's workplace. It was good fun; a nice bunch of people, lively conversation, and lots of laughs. I was ready for beddy-by-lo by the time we got home.

So, over breakfast this morning the helpmeet confessed his stress level is increasing hugely with every day. I asked if it was about work? no, turns out he is freaked out that he hasn't gotten me one Christmas gift this year. I just laughed and said I hadn't done any shopping for him, either, adding that if he didn't FEEL like going shopping he didn't have to as far as I was concerned. The reality of our lives is that we have everything we could possibly need and a nice, relaxing morning with the pets and tree and a relaxed dinner would be just fine with me. I pointed out that we have a very large "gift" to the side of our home. "You wouldn't mind if there were no gifts under the tree?". NOPE. "I married the finest person I know.". SO DID I. Christmas should never be overrun by stress and unrealistic expectations.

Bella and Kenzie are getting so BIG; they don't look like "toddlers" any more. Patty Play Pals "come to life"!

Deanne, your photos are just wonderful. I am actually rather excited about getting a tripod and moving away from the "take aim and shoot" mindset. I can swing either Wednesday you mentioned. I will not, however, be doing any driving if the weather is inclement.

Wendy, I thought of you as the snow overtook my area and I began to hear reports of dreadful driving conditions on the highways in your area! I can't even feature being stuck in your car for 5 hrs. trying to accomplish what should have been a "slow" commute. I do understand the concerns about allowing a kid to fall on his face academically. And I, too, am regularly shocked by disciplinary problems. But, when I was in school, there were still teachers that would hit a kid. The helpmeet received a ruler across the palms of his hands for being a jerk in class when he failed to "cease and desist". And a solid dose of shame and humiliation at the dinner table that night. Certainly I don't advocate corporal punishment, but it rather highlights the differences between the 50s, 60s, 70s, to present; and what does it all say about "family life" or the lack thereof? Dunno. I am concerned that we are working steadily toward raising another generation in constant need of praise and unable to endure the necessity of criticism and accountability. I know you understand that.

People are so stupid and selfish about driving in the snow. No common sense, they don't accept that you have to slow down and you have to PAY ATTENTION and increase the amount of space required to react and avoid. I learned that one driving 40' buses. You can't stop or manoeuver quickly when driving a fully loaded bus, so learn to control the variables you can control. Last year, I had to go for a "mammygram" in a horrible snowstorm. I thought about cancelling, but went anyway (it was a "call back" for a suspicious area). On my way home I poked along at a blazing 25 mph, noting the large 4WD truck at a respectful distance behind me. I hit the gas to power through a plowed "wake" as I pulled into the little market. The truck followed me in. I got out and apologized to the guy in truck for being such a "nannah". He grinned and said, "you drive an appropriate speed for the conditions and your vehicle, you'll get where you want to go, don't apologize.". I'm fortunate that my "commute" occurs very early in the morning with minimal traffic!

Eden, I'm glad your Mom got decent news. I don't blame her for going the extra distance and opting for radiation on the suspect area. Your sense of relief must be great. I can't wait to go back and click on the links for the trees and the arrangements when I have more time to really enjoy them. Yikes, I feel "really American" knowing the garage is probably bigger than your house... .

No porta-potty, Sue, but if you're willing to wee-wee in the puckerbrush (or a pee-nut can) and use the "main house" facilities you're welcome to bunk up in the Salon for as long as you wish. No water view, either... unless, of course, you're willing to scale the roof on a clear winter's day. Sounds appealing, huh? As for "renting out"... we would enjoy "you guys", but most "tourists" would blanche at the way we live, here on the compound. :)

I am so glad to see Katie in her jammies. But I DO want to see the zipper, too. I was surprised at how clean and neat the incision on Rex's leg was. I'm not sure why I thought it would be gorier than it was. He either removed one/two staples himself or they "blew out", but there is NO scar and I was also shocked to learn that many people never bring their dogs back to have them removed?! She looks so cute with her chicken. How many more weeks do you both have to endure confinement before embarking on PT? It's good to hear more of a chirp in your posts, Cynthia. :)

Marian, LOL about "varmints". My sentiments exactly. Rex went mental this morning and sure enough, it was Foxy Loxy blatting his/her presence to the dawn world. Had the helpmeet not been home I'd have turned him loose. Foxy Loxies and "rats with long legs" are one of the reasons we have "thatfooldog". We have coyotes in this area, too, but they seem to be more common in the more open, less densely populated parts of town. Great shots. My "germamiums" gave up the ghost and there is no live plant material in the house right now. I think I'll have to get a Christmas cactus. Any other recommendations for something "bullet-proof" for a sunny location with a woodstove?

I have laughed about Patty Play Pal and other fond remembrances. My favorite was RoseAnn Whitey (I named her). It was one of those rocking horses with springs attached to the supporting frame. I LOVED that thing. I would get it rockin' and rollin' and later, Mum confided she was frequently concerned I'd fall off. A harbinger of my penchant for fast ponies and horses in later years. Did any of you receive a tangerine or an orange in the toe of Christmas stocking? That was biggie in our home... along with walnuts (the nutcracker was on the floor under the stockings, next to the fireplace tools).

Jerri, I completely understand wanting a "change". I'm not interested in something completely different as much as I'm interested in paving the way for a smooth transition to something that challenges me more and indulges a penchant for "pretty" and "beautiful". I'm a bit of a "nervous Nellie" when it comes to "job security"; to that end, we live "closer to the bone" than many would find comfortable. And whenever I've needed a change I've had the next "gig" lined up. I actually contemplated nursing for a brief period after Mum's surgery (Stoma/Wound Care; I have all the core science classes behind me, would require about a semester+a class/two to meet the requirements for the BS, and would face the clinicals). I think you should think about it carefully; work up a PLAN and revisit it periodically. I'm not saying "don't", I'm simply saying, put the plan together and look at it carefully over the course of time. You're a smaHt cookie and you'll make a good choice. It's important to be happy with what you do for work. I love to sew, and I have that going for me. What really remains for ME is how to use the skill I love to do things that "jazz" me and make me smile when I've finished the project. I'm thinking of you these days. I understand the thoughts that cross your mind every so often and at inopportune times.

I lived in Virginia for one year. I LOVED it. I loved the climate and I loved that the streets weren't filled with faces that looked just like mine (white). My community is homogenous, and frankly, I don't think much about it day to day until I read a post like 'bug's. And then I am reminded of how insular my life's experience has been with the exception of that one year. Yet it hasn't made me fearful, mistrustful... rather, it makes me rather sad. Rather like going through life never savoring the full variety of "taste".

I have to get moving on the day's chores, you guys.

• gardenbug
    16 years ago

Jerri, this made me think of you:
    "Change has a considerable psychological impact on the human mind. To the fearful it is threatening because it means that things may get worse. To the hopeful it is encouraging because things may get better. To the confident it is inspiring because the challenge exists to make things better." --King Whitney Jr.

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

"...and to the living, it is inevitable. So expect it, embrace it, and thrive on it. "

--Cynthia

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Hey peeps! Keep those pictures and ex-lurkers coming!

Welcome to Anise (where's Galium, we could start an herb garden) and Anitamo. Anymore 'A' lurkers ready to come in? If not, Barbaras, Bettys, Bevs and Beezlebubs may now sign in.

Happy sparkle season to Bella and Kenzie, yes Eden it isn't Christmas with out the little ones. Love Bella's smile, and her dress too, and Kenzie's sweet cards. So that's 'Dora' on the card. I recognize the cartoon but didn't have a name for her.

Deanne, your photos could sell monitors. My screen lights up when they display. The snow looks beautiful, I'm happy to have it here as long as I'm well provisioned and no place to go. NPR just said our severe storm watch will result in 1/10 of an inch. The last time a speck of snow was predicted we had 3 inches.

Wendy, my sister was out there with you on your trek home a few nights ago. She works 20 minutes from home, and called me at 6:30 to say that she was half way home after leaving at 4PM. My worst trip ever was Maynard Mass to Goffstown NH in the late 80s. 7 hours! And of course I had to pee for 6 hours of the commute.

Chelone, the doors are perfect! When I saw the beigeness of the walls I wrongly feared siding, but on inspection see bright new shingles waiting to fade :)

I'm in "search and trash it" mode which usually doesn't occur until January. No Christmas decorating here as I've banned guests from the house until Katie is healed. She gets too excited if she hears anyone at the door. Crooning and wiggling with excitement. Perhaps there will be a February coming out party for her when I don't have to worry about damaged goods from whirling :)

OK, back to my ruthless indoor weeding.

Later - Cynthia

• chelone
    16 years ago

I was allowed to ride my bike to Maynard to go shopping with my baby-sitting money, Cynthia. There were a couple of pretty cool stores that sold "Landlubber" jeans that fit me really well. And there was always "Woolies" with mulitple entrances and wide, exciting counters replete with bins full of very cool little doo-dads. At that time, too, there were a couple of saunas to satisfy an ageing Finnish population who had worked in the mills before the downturn in the '60s.. I've not been there in many, many "moons" now; I probably wouldn't recognize the place. I sure as hell don't recognize Rte. 2A! when I was a kid it was largely faHmland and I recall the construction of the first strip "maul". Such a shame. :(

I've caved completely on the evergreens in the windowboxes, my friends! I had an "Aha! moment" while out on my errands... . I've always loved candles in the windows, so I bought 8 of them! It will give the windows the cheery glow I like to see, they won't be hidden by evergreens, the place will look festive with no cold fingers or drill. I have to set them up before dusk. If it thaws out I can always shove some greens in the boxes.

I picked up some Christmas items for the helpmeet; 3 pr. of wool socks, 2 packs of boxer briefs, a pair of lined work pants, and a lovely grey fleece vest that will not show the accumulation of cat hair too much. There were a lot of people with glazed eyes out there today.

V., I am chaHmed by your daughter's dinner. And I concur with 'bug, how completely terrific that you were so delighted. It must be a wonderful thing to see your child grow, thrive, and continue to amaze. Does my heart glad. :)

The helpmeet really likes Rachel Ray, too. He thinks it's great to see a woman who LIKES TO EAT. And has pointed out the similarities between pornographic movies and the hosts of cooking shows... thought you'd appreciate the male insight, lol. ;)

Eden your home is great. I love seeing the little touches you put here and there. It must be priceless to see Bella's reaction to the things you add and she gets to discover. I was wondering the same thing as Deanne about your wall words.

I don't think I'm going to like these candles very much, frankly. They have an "eye" that is supposed to detect dusk and dawn. I'm not sure I want Christmas decorations that "think for themselves". UNHUH, I'm the cruise director here, thank you. :)

Weed on, Cynthia, and make this abode your next stop, 'K?

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

Chelone, I bought a few of the on at midnight, off when a car goes by candles a few years ago and didn't like them. I'm exaggerating, the house is too far from the street to catch headlights, but if I turned on indoor lights the candles went out. In the kitchen they never went on! I pat myself on the back for doing the test with a half dozen before investing in the whole house. There are too many lights to turn on and off so the candles stay on 24/7 for a month. It's less energy than the floodlights some people leave on all night year round. I'm thinking of doing the back of the ground floor today, was lazy when I did the rest of the house a week ago. But walking round the circle the leafless trees offer a view of a part of the back and it looks like I blew a fuse. Gotta fix it!

• anitamo
    16 years ago

Good morning everyone. We got some snow here overnight...probably about 4 or 5 inches. My DH snow-blowed the driveway twice.

I'm tired this morning as we had a sleepover with our three grandsons last night. Ages 5,3,and 2. Our granddaughter, 11 mos. was at her other grandma's house. Brookfield zoo is open during the holiday season at night, complete with hundreds of donated Christmas trees and decorations. So we took them there last night, and had a cold but enjoyable time. The snow was falling, and that completed the cozy winter scene. All the animals must have been inside sleeping, though, so all we saw were the elephants and hippos. The parents picked them up at 10 this morning, and now I'm resting up before my youngest brother's birthday party today...he's turning 40! The baby of nine! My mom had nine kids in eleven years!

chelone, I was touched by your story of not needing your DH to get you anything for x-mas, telling him that he's all you need. That's how it should be. I'm curious as to the word helpmeet...I never heard it before you. I've been following along in your garage building experience, interesting to say the least. It's beautiful. What will you be using it for? I know you sew, but not sure if you are going into business for yourself now? I have one of those rocking horses in my basement that is from thirty years ago. My MIL bought it for my 30 year old son when he was almost one, and now his kids are using it. Springs have been replaced and MIL repainted it, but it looks brand new. Great toy.

Bug, love your city experience. Sounded like you got a lot done in a short time. I live in a very mixed area. My kids all grew up having friends from other ethnic backgrounds, which is different from my youth. And you and bug are right, it does help to experience life in a rich sort of way.

Beautifully decorated homes, Eden, Deanne and Honey. You all have the same talent inside as well as outside. Eden, glad your mom is doing well. And glad for you deanne that DH got home safely.

Michelle, Kenzi if such a cutie. You must just adore spending time with her. Bella is another cutie, too. I'll post some pics of my GK's so we can all ooh and aah together. LOL

Have a great day.

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

Anita, I went back and found you. I do remember now. HI! I see you just posted too so I'll go read that now.

Eden

• Lara Noles
    15 years ago

OK I'm wacky today. I thought I was on the current Idyll thread. So the post I see above is the old one I found. It's been a long week:)

Eden

• anitamo
    15 years ago

LOL eden...you're cracking me up.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County