Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drema_dianne

Christmas at my house

drema_dianne
14 years ago

Hi Everyone. Since there are a number of pics, I put this on a different thread. Hope you enjoy them.

Every year Santa comes to my hometown of Vermilion, by arriving on an icebreaker. Here is a little bit of that event. Small town America.

First, downtown.

{{gwi:190820}}

{{gwi:190821}}

{{gwi:190822}}

Horse rides

{{gwi:190903}}

{{gwi:190905}}

{{gwi:190906}}

Not his real ears, I checked. So he can't be from the North Pole.

{{gwi:190908}}

My tree, unlit, note no ornaments t the bottom. Baby dog proof.

{{gwi:190909}}

Lit

{{gwi:190910}}

{{gwi:190911}}

{{gwi:190912}}

One of my more unusual ornaments:) So ugly I had to buy it.

{{gwi:190913}}

My youngest son Mike made this in preschool. I just love the ones the kids make.

{{gwi:190914}}

My sister in law made this one probably 30 years ago. She is very crafty. I also have a soldier made the same style.

{{gwi:190915}}

From the Twelve Days of Christmas, miniature snow globes, posted this for Mary:)

{{gwi:190916}}

Tea Room

It is a lot of pics, but I do have more, lol.

Hope you all have a lovely holiday, if I don't get back here.

Drema

Comments (16)

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Hey! Where's the snow? LOL
    What a great set of local photos and tree ornaments! Thanks!

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

I love the photos of your town Drema ! You have some great ornaments too.. Hope you can stop in once or twice during the thick of things.

Merry Christmas to you and your family ,

Kathy in Napa

• chelone
    14 years ago

Drema, it's beautiful! I love it when towns get it together enough to "put on the dog" for Christmastime. Local ads on TV here often show Santa in a lobster boat. There used to be one showing Santa standing on the "sea bouy", the one that is one mile out to sea.

I was thinking about what a nice, well trained team of Belgians that is. Even with a bunch of kids milling around them they are completely at ease and just waiting for the teamster's command to, "walk on".

Your house looks super and I chuckled at the "dog proofed" tree. We have one ornament (a "hohn") that Wrecks chewed in fit of insecurity his first Christmas here. After beating him roundly and to within an inch of his life, we determined to keep it as a mememto of his misspent youth. We hung it on the tree last night with appropriate sentiment.

You've made me want to put out some more greens, you rascal, you!

• denisez10
    14 years ago

Beautiful, Drema! Kids, horses, elves, and boats, and a very fine tree. Thanks for the tour.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Very festive! The team of horses appeals to me - I love the big guys... Special ornaments always make the tree much better :-) The fruity light fixture is pretty special too I think. Merry Christmas to you.

• shade_tolerant
    14 years ago

Love the photos, seems like the perfect town for Christmas Drema. And I love the handmade ornaments too.

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Drema, I love the look of your hometown decorations and I never get tired of looking at horses.
    Your decorations are great and I love your tea room and the way it looks out onto the gardens. Have a fun christmas with all the kiddos. Norma

• drema_dianne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am trying to be in the home stretch here, closing in on the finish line. Thank you all for your kind thoughts and comments!

D.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Drema, what a fun time there! I grew up in Gladwyne, PA and Santa came around every Christmas eve on one of our fire engines. The guys handed out candy canes, oranges and apples to everyone and dog biscuits, too. It was great. Our neighborhood always had a huge turnout and even when we were grown, we all came back with our kids every year. Everyone arrived at the designated corner at least fifteen minutes early so we could catch up with each other a little. I miss that now that my parents are gone and there is no place to return to for Christmas. It was the most fun!

Love the picture of the kids with the horses-everyone always wants to stroke them! Love the elf, too! I'll bet he had the best time! Your tree and decorations look lovely. I didn't even dare a partially decorated tree inside, so ours has only lights and is on the deck outside the dining room and living room. Maybe next year.

Thanks for the pics. Merry, merry!

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Well, I posted a nice acknowledgement here that didnt go anywhere and froze... bummer. Drema -- your town looks charming, fun, and vibrant. How lovely! And your tree -- so gorgeously Victorian but crafty memories tucked in here and there.... It looks so festive and beautiful!!

It was great of you to take the time from your busy holiday to share with us. Thank you!! (geez, no snow???).

-cindy

• Full_Bloom
    14 years ago

Ahh...finally made it and what a treat!

Drema I *love* the small town feel it's what dreams are made of! :-) I love the candy cane window box it really speaks to me...guess I am just a kid at heart.

*Your* decorations are beautiful too. The tree is beautiful...even if you couldn't decorate the last 4th of it! :-) How wonderful to have all those special memories with the ornaments. I think that's my favorite part of decorating the tree; well, and the house...all those wonderful memories and new memories yet to be made with your family growing. The tablesetting/vignette is perfect...so warm and cheery.

Lol...BTW, I couldn't help but think of Chelone when I saw the lobster ornament.

Thanks for sharing the fun!

Ei

• drema_dianne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. Glad you liked the pics:)

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Drema, I love your colorful, quaint town and Santa on the boat is just too cool. Your house is so warm and inviting.

Michelle

• candy_j
    14 years ago

Dream, love your town's appearance...so clean, colorful and wholesome! The lit tree gives off such a golden glow it radiates warmth and looks so inviting.

I continue to be enchanted with your Tea Room; the built in shelves are just perfect and I'm with Norma, the garden backdrop is right out of a magazine. Sweeet!

• candy_j
    14 years ago

Hey Michelle!...minutes apart we are and using the same words :-)) I'm on your karma wavelength today and anxious to get over to the Idyll title.

• drema_dianne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aww, thanks guys.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting