Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbug_gw

#464 'Tis the Season

gardenbug
14 years ago

Whatever you name it, it is that time of year when we think of friends, family, the person at the awfice, the man on the street.

Personally I have two friends who are in difficult times, suffering without work.

I am upset by the mean spirited, the selfish, the just plain stupid.

But you know, I also think of the very qualified, the generous, the brave and the good.

When Cyn shares her quote, "It is better to build children than repair adults", I want to agree. Yet I have worked at repairing adults, and that is a job reserved for saints. I did not last. To those who do help them go my biggest thanks.

I have wrapped gifts today, had dinner out with French speaking friends, watched the moon, walked the dog, been patient with my husband, knit....and now to bed!

Here comes winter!

Comments (107)

• saucydog
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I just lost my post and I'm running out of time this morning...I'll try to check back in later!

Saucy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Michelle, what a lovely entryway!! Your snow looks fresh and white. We are at 33F so far today, so things are melting a bit in the drizzly rain and starting the dirty snow look.

I'm told it is MINUS 58F in Edmonton Alberta today. I wonder why we are planning to go there next week?!!*^~#&@??? Today is the day that DSIL was planning on working on insulation after finding a mysterious large hole in the basement wall that went to the outside. They too had the horizontal Christmas tree look for a while...:(

Last week the kids saw "Food Inc" billed this way: "'Food, Inc.' does for the supermarket what 'Jaws' did for the beach." So yesterday they went food shopping at their Farmer's Market. In the afternoon they were pickling beets.
    Ivy, I'm told, has discovered the little girl in the mirror and gives her kisses.

Yesterday was food overload for us with three different events. Clear broth for me today!!!

Saucy, so sorry about the frustration of a lost post.
    Mary is helping me with shopping for DS this Christmas and I thank her SO MUCH! This is a very busy season for him at work.

OK, time to get moving. Maybe I'll make it back later today.

:)
    'bug

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Ivy is a delight, they will have to get some pictures of her at the mirror. I did a series of my niece in the mirror when she was little and framed them.
    -58 just sounds intolerable to me. They must be very conditioned to the weather there.

Michelle your entry looks so inviting. We have had no snow yet. Fine by me, but we had strange thunder storms with hail Sat night.

The GS's were here all weekend but we still didn't do any decorating. I can see where this might be the year when I throw up the little tree a couple of nights beforehand.

I'm thinking about heading out to shop today. More to just get out of the house than anything. The boys gave me very few ideas for gifts, so I am going to have to get creative.

Kathy, I am waiting to see the redecorated tree and mantel display. Sounds like you are in full swing this year.

Ivy is lonesome and needs some grandkids to play with on this thread. I confess I haven't taken any pictures of Wyatt lately. Need to correct that.

Wondering how TCS (guess he will always be TCS to us) is doing. Julie I hope things are smoothing out.

Waving to all. Gotta get moving. Norma

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Norma, yes, they ARE conditioned to cold weather. They love it too. Luckily, I was mislead about the actual temperature and it was minus 27F, warm by comparison! High of minus 13F expected for them today.

And of course, photos to oblige!

{{gwi:191030}}

{{gwi:191031}}

Lots of preparation needed before our travels. Hoping Phoebe's checkup on Thursday turns out well. I need to pester the propane people to come deliver a load before our trip. We've run out twice in the past over Christmas...not fun!

Good to have Deanne checking in!
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Well, I think the tree decorating is done, and I have started to stage the empty ornament boxes to return to the garage-I took a pic of the mantle tonight , but it was very blurry-I hate using the flash..Im going to set up my tripod Thursday night and see if I can get a better photo. Have 2 nights in a row of awfice Christmas parties, so Thur will be my 1st free night. Still lots of disarray in the house, and I look forward to the weekend so I can get the place in shape. At the very least the guests will have clean towels and sheets, and I need to put my mom hat on- what needs to be moved to baby proof this place ? I have bought exactly one gift for Mr B by the waybut the packages sent by BILS are piled up they showed no restraint . I will buy one more gift but more important to me is the event of Christmas itself- the food , the tree, and the family.and bug, that Ivy is pretty cute..for a baby.

Michelle, fabu-fabu entry ! It almost makes me wish I had some snow ..All I have at the moment is mud.

Waves..

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is the week for wearing Yaktrax! Lots of ice and danger walking Ms Phoebe.
    Off to the post office and grocery store for soup fixings.
    Hope you are enjoying the season!
    'bug

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

YEAH! The DSIL gift issue is now solved.
    1. saffron and recipes for his cooking addiction.
    2. a round of golf with his brother next spring.

Maybe I can give him the same gifts every year?!LOL

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Saffron sounds wonderfully decadent to me...something I'd never buy myself, but would love to have.

I think you could do it every year :)

Saucy

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Saucy, that's just what I hope he'll feel. I really do love him! (even though I think chasing a little white ball around is dorky...)

• denisez10
    14 years ago

I was going to write, Where is everyone, on skiing holiday? But there's Saucy and 'bug discussing saffron. Excellent gift choices.

Temps are in the 40s at night, 60/70s during the day. The tree has been up a week or so, and the mantle display, if not fabulous, is filled with odds and ends of interest. Outdoors, the huge triangle palm's trunk has been wound with lights, and there's a work in progress on a tall bit of salvage iron that strikes me as shaped like a grandfather clock, involving lights and chandelier crystals. How's that for holiday spirit? Still debating whether to launch into tamales this year. Cut-out cookies were something new this year, splurging on a decorating kit and cookie molds capable of making custom irreverent messages like "Go ahead, bite me" and "Cant catch me" (from the "I'm the gingerbread man" story.) Duncan opted for moralistic messages like "Maximize the Good." Fridge holds a couple bowls of other cookie dough too, some dough baked for the neighborhood cookie exchange on Sunday. This all-female yearly event was expanded to include an adjunct "beer exchange" at another neighbor's house, then we all met up for chili. When the beer exchange hooligans arrived for the chili portion of the evening, the sedate cookie exchange was blown wide open! But, truthfully, so much more exciting than previous years...

We did finally get torrential rain the past weekend. A couple days before, the ground was still workable, and I managed to squeeze in some Scilla peruviana among corsican hellebores. Trying to establish forget-me-nots in this area too. Some more iffy choices that were planted elsewhere were Ornithogalum dubium, some nectaroscordum siculum bulgaricum, and a real long shot, some lemony eremurus, very doubtful in zone 10. Then the rain gave everything a good soak. Perfect!

I thought of the idylls scoffing as I opted not to drive to a holiday business brunch on Saturday due to rain. It was pouring buckets, and I later discovered my route had been closed due to an accident fatality, which happens all too often in this kind of weather here.

I understand Brenda has been held hostage by a very late harvest, so congrats on accomplishing that. Little Ivy grows more impish by the photo. Lovely snowy photos, Michelle. A temporary outdoor ice skating rink has been set up in town, and I'm very tempted to experience whizzing around on skates again.

Just read a piece today on "dandelion" children vs. "orchid" children. Fairly self-explanatory, the first group being able to adapt to pretty much any circumstance and thrive. But the new findings involved how both groups are integral to a healthy human population, that the "orchid" children, given careful nurturing, will thrive and in many cases surpass the dandelions. Linked below.

This bloom of Bouquet d'Or was nearly missed, facing the neighbors at the top of the fence

{{gwi:191032}}

A very odd experience today reading a mosaic blog I follow, the amazing work of Emma Biggs. She's apparently been traveling in the Mediterranean and had a brief teaching stint in Oakland, this week heading to Chicago. (Attention, V!) There's a photo of a man asleep, probably on BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit). She's captioned it "dead head, dead beat. Me too." That anonymous-to-her man is my BIL! The oldest of Marty's seven siblings. Probably just back from the Gulf, where he works long shifts captaining a research boat. He always flies home through Oakland then drives down to Paso Robles. And yes, he is mired in the sixties just a bit...

More winter wonderland photos always welcome. Mitch and a large group hiked up Mt. Baldy over the weekend, about 1-1/2 hours' drive. Lots of snow arrived on Saturday. Since he rarely goes anywhere without filming and/or photographing these days, there's amazing video footage of them arriving in their little Sierra Club cabin near the summit where, once indoors, clouds of steam billowed from their rain-soaked, chilled bodies.

I hope Mary's chickens are warm and safe, and all the rest of you too ;)

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

A sleepy post from a fellow dead beat. I couldn't figure out what a Mosaic blog was. . . "flashing back" to the old days of the internet when Internet Explorer was called Mosaic. I get it now. But how funny to "run into" your BIL that way!

Yesterday, in a fashion that give Jeff Foxworthy hours of material, we installed the Insane Christmas Tree.

{{gwi:191033}}

You may notice that there is a table lamp sitting on the floor, because there was a tree on the table. There's tree everywhere because this is a giant, humongo-enormous tree. We even have the little auxiliary tree in the dining room.

{{gwi:191034}}

I'm thinking I will just put the angel on the end of this branch - no one will see it on the top of the tree!

And Kathy, please note the fuzziness of the photos. I'm not good with the flash either.

V.

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

My Yaktrax have been in use for a good week.

I have to admit that the snow is quite pretty, but I could do without the subzero temperatures. Good grief its only December.

Awww, Ivy has discovered a playmate.

Norma, you should have had the GS decorate for you. My mom and sister went shopping the day after Thanksgiving and left my dad and nephews who are 8 & 10 to decorate the tree. She said it was "interesting"

Hmmm, roses in December how nice.

Michelle

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Zooming in tonight after round 1 of awfice Christmas partiesway too much food consumed today !

Once again I swoon over Bouquet dOr .. If I had a couple hundred extra square feet,, BDO , Crepuscle, Lady Hillingdon..the list goes on. I do have a couple that are coming out this winter , notably Charlotte Armstrong-who has been in serious decline the last couple of years . She will be replaced with the same-I am ever so fond of her . Amber Queen will be gone, undecided as to her replacement, same deal with Tuscan Sun.

Lol Denise, when I worked at the garden center in San Diego many many moons ago, we sent everyone home when it rained- everything seemed to just shut down.

Waving- in awe of Vs tree, happy that bug solved the present dilemma, and glad that Yaktrax are not needed herejust Wellies and an umbrella

Kathy in Napa

• candy_j
    14 years ago

Many plans and Christmas activities underway here! Tomorrow Im baking cookies that freeze well; saving the cut out sugar cookies and simple candy making for the 22nd. Need to finish wrapping some presents and tweak the menus for next week, one more day of working a food drive for a homeless shelter and then a couple of days to just putz around before the kids arrive. As busy as it gets, DH and I love being able to keep our family traditions intact because at some time in the future - weather, careers, distance or circumstance is sure to bring about a change for the holidays.

Love the baby smooching, Ivy pictures bug. Have a wonderful visit with your family and I think DSIL will really enjoy the gifts.

Kathy, geeesh! So glad the toppled tree didnt cause major ornament damage. Waiting too see the photos you promised, Im sure theyll be stunning. Hope your awfice gang likes the crustless cranberry pie; remember 2 cups of cranberries are not the whole bag!

Michelle, Im enchanted by the pillarlove the look. Beautiful how you captured the snow adorning the greenery. This is what makes west coasties (Kathy, lol) believe snow remains white and pristine. Cold and windy here but Im not complaining since theres no precipitation . Can you try for another pic with the light on? I know night shots are tricky, at least for me.

Vyour tree just knocks me out, WOW! That is so great, it reminds me of the Griswold tree in Christmas Vacation. Please do a running commentaryI just know this tree of yours is going to provide many an anecdote.

Yaktrax? While they do look like they give good traction, what happens when you go inside to shop in the stores? Do they clatter or slide?

Health tip of the day: Have regular dental check ups.
    {{gwi:191035}}

• jak1
    14 years ago

Good morning all! What an organized and industrious bunch you are! Gifts bought and wrapped, trees up and decorated (well, sort of in Kathy's case), baking done, home clean, lights and outside decorations in evidence. Then there's Julie....most gifts bought, a few cookies made, three cards sent, a not-very clean-or-tidy house, one teeny string of lights outside, and the tree still in the basement!

We, of course, have had the complication of a small boy who cannot eat or sleep due to his medication. Yesterday we took him off all meds, he went to school, and was sent home for bad behaviour. He slept most of the afternoon, all night, and is still abed. Making up for lost time. We are keeping him at home today and starting a new round of meds, hoping this one will show the benefits and fewer side effects. I was a little iffy about the drug route anyway, and am leaning more and more to a more natural holistic approach. Time will tell.

DS is coming over today to build the yearly traditional Gingerbread house with TCS.This is a hugely fun activity for the two of them, taking all day, and reminding DS of the many many years that I did this with him and his sister.

I may actually do the cards and cleaning while DH lugs the tree up. Anyway, Christmas will come whether we're ready or not!

Oh, I hear the patter of little feet - dogs, likely. Will check in later!

Love you all!

Cheers,

Julie

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

A quick hello- Im trying to squeeze in some laundry tonight , the house remains in disarray , and I am starting to ponder the Christmas floral arrangements and the tablescape. I will have 4 full days to prepare and clean this place up before the guests arrive. It occurred to me tonight that I have yet to order my beef tenderloin for Christmas dinneryikes ! Fortunately we have at least 3 very good meat markets here, and I may be able to just walk in buy what I want. Ill make some phone calls tomorrow.

Julie, Im so sorry that you are still struggling with TCSs medication- I hope a solution presents itself soon. So many experts out there ..I guess trial and error is the lot for all of us. One so badly wants success with young lives.

Candy, the pie was well received ! I doubled the nuts though, and we hid the couple of pieces we had leftover. We are having a breakfast birthday potluck tomorrow and I am going to cut them up into bite-sizes, warm then up and top with whipped cream. We have been eating constantly this week, and we have all pledged to eat nothing but salads for a month after this Christmas season is over !

All for now.

Kathy in Napa

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

For the Agavephiles in our midst..

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Morning all,

Busy, busy here as usual. Ive still not gotten the Christmas tree decorated. Arrgghh!!! Taught a class a week and a half ago and have to prepare for a seminar the first full weekend of January. Its getting to that time when I have to water the coleus under the lights every other day. Methinks its time to pot some of them up so they dont take so much upkeep.

Its pretty cold out here this AM with temps down to 11F and winds gusting to 40, with chills are brutal. I dont think Ill spend any time in my blind today! LOL

Im enjoying all the pics

V. are you insane???? That tree will band together with all those logs from your home and get them to rise up and overtake the humans. LOL Can we get a pic of it decorated?

Kathy, I just LOVE those Christmas Agaves. Pretty clever! ~~ Love the Mary Rose shot! What a beauty. ~~ I think Ill zip over to your place for Christmas dinner, Yum! Tenderloin with Cab sauce. ~~ Love that pic from Maine! What a hoot, I cant believe those Actaeas were that tall. Amazing!

Candy, love your Christmas decorations and love the cranberry pie!!!! Looks wonderful.

Bug, love the Ivy pics. What a cutie! And that bee on the baptisia is a classic!

Michelle, I really love your pillar and door decorations! So pretty! ~~ Also wanted to tell you that the lovely pelargonium you sent me years ago is still looking great. I didnt get to it until very late and didnt think it would make it this year but its growing beautifully under the lights and makes me smile and think of you every time I go down there to work with the plants. Oh yes, the Crocodile is also doing well. It didnt have any problems getting cut back and repotted and is now sporting some new growth. Im really happy about that as Ive not gotten any cuttings of it to root for me this fall.

Denise, what a gorgeous rose! That Bouquet dOr is awesome. Love the link about "dandelions/orchids".

Ive been really happy to see I have five Cardinals coming into the feeders daily, three males and two females. Ive never had this many in the yard at one time before and its a real treat to see the three boys in the birch trees in the sunshine. They look like Christmas ornaments.

Here are a couple photos Ive taken in the last week.

{{gwi:191037}}

{{gwi:191039}}

This fellow is eating the seeds from the Sweet Autumn Clematis
    {{gwi:191040}}

OK must run, have a great day all
    Deanne

PS V be very careful of that tree!

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mornin' All!

Looks like sun is in the forecast for this morning here, but quite cold. I expect it to climb up to about 20F. Yesterday the propane truck got stuck in our laneway and I had to call in a neighbor to extract him. What a pain. No propane yet either!

I very much enjoyed reading about the dandelion/orchid people and the rhesus monkeys. Thanks!

The Deanne photos are special. I can identify individual birds...so much detail. Of course the clematis seed in the beak is the amazing touch for me. We only seem to have one male cardinal so far. Last year we had 3 and several females.

This final week before our trip is full of activity , starting this morning with a 9am appointment for Ms Phoebe. Our plans really center around her progress.

Thinking of Julie, Woody, and...well everyone actually!
    Must get on the move here.
    'bug

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

Gorgeous birds Deanne. I was wondering if the birds would eat the seed on the sweet autumn clematis. The one on my swing arbor is loaded with seeds. I really intended to cut it down to prevent seeding around.

Julie I hope the new meds for TCS will be the ones to work. Bless his heart, I hate to see kids struggle so.

Bug, I hope Pheobes checkup was a good one. I know you are anxious to be off on your trip to see the kids.

Kathy, will everyone be staying at your house for christmas? Sounds like a fun time and good eats.

Love the roses girls and V that tree is ginormous. I bet is is beatiful all lit up.

Woody, I 'm thinking of you too. I hope you are hanging in there. Randy too.

Hi Saucy, Chelone, Denise, Dreama, Marian and all busy Idyllers.

Norma

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

That third pic is just remarkable Deanne..Thanks so much for posting these here..

Tomorrow is my vacation send-off day, and look forward to puttering around the house and garden all weekend. Our weather forecast calls for dense fog- since I have no travel plans for the next few days I'm ok with it.

Norma, I am having my family here this year for Christmas; I've traveled for the last few years, so I look forward to being the hostess for a change.Nice not to have to schlep around airports !

Hoping to see some of our missing check in..off to fold laundry-joy!

Kathy in Napa

• saucydog
    14 years ago

You know it has been a few days since you posted when you have to log in again :)

V., that tree didn't look so big to me until I looked at the tiny toy sofa in front of it! LOL...all your presents will be those Good-Things-Come-In-Small-Packages types.

I want to see it lit up, too!

Deanne, what a beautiful reminder to fill my feeders!

Candy, I believe that I need some YakTrax - they go on over your shoes, so you can remove them when not needed. I slipped and fell the other day (no injury, except to my ego) and thought of everyone here who would've had theirs on!

I can hear birds outside my window in the hedge - they like to congregate there.

Kathy, I am the hostess to our family party this year. I am in charge of the Yankee Swap rules and am thinking of changing them up a little - perhaps a Southern Swap? I have to do the research today (because I can't even remember how to do it the regular way!). So I have to pick up my ham today. Bake another one of those gluten free chocolate cakes that flew off the Thanksgiving table and make the cranberry pie! I have my house decorated and clean - I just need to keep it up for 2 more days when the partiers arrive :)

I guess I'd better go. Dry cleaning needs to be picked up and then I have a benefits meeting at the office. I bent my rule of working on Friday a bit...

Hello to all!!!

Saucy

• jak1
    14 years ago

Gee Saucy, I have to log in every time. Maybe I should be posting twice a day ?? *LOL*

Well' the new meds for TCS are working much better than the earlier ones. He is attentive and can sleep. Whew! We'll see how things go over the holiday. He must get more exercise, so we are looking at swimming lessons and/or the free skate at the arena on Friday evenings. I would love for him to take martial arts as it stood our daughter in good stead, but I don't want to push him into something. I am hoping that he will sooner or later at least ask to see a class. DD has taught him a few moves.

And the tree is up, half the cards are done, and two rounds of baking are complete (of the six I usually do). DS and TCS built their Gingerbread house (not 6 feet high though!!!) and there is still lots of decorating to do there, something to have fun with now that school is done. I hope to get TCS back up to speed in music over the break as that went by the wayside for the last few weeks.

Anyway, feeling much more "up" now and getting into the spirit of Christmas before it is too late!

Love the birds, Deanne. For some reason I don't have any this year, for the first time. Could be because of the little beasts running around, or maybe the fence is something new that is somehow putting them off. All the more enjoyment for me from your fab photos!

That is some tree, V. I bet it will look just gorgeous when lit. I love the look of your home...

Hope you have a ball at DD's, 'Bug! What about a gingerbread house kit to build with Sky on Christmas day? Fun for all and ensures time spent together...and I am partial to consumable gifts so yuou don't add "stuff" to homes already stuffed with stuff. Also, like DS's gift, you could do it every year. And soon for Ivy too.

Waiting for the fabu mantle display from Kathy, and am getting worried about Chelone. Anybody been in touch?

Woody will soon be having her medical stuff done, and all the best wishes and hopes go with that!

I made gingerbread trees this year - cutting out stars of diminshing sizes, stacking to look like little evergreen trees, decorating them with green and white icing, candle stars, and teeny little red candy stockings. They turned out great. I will try for a photo soon - but you've heard that before :)

Happy day to you all.

Cheers,

Julie

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Love Julie's report on TCS! I do hope this round of meds continues to help the little guy flourish.

I'm also enjoying all the input on Christmas preparations, culinary and otherwise. Here it is still chaos with pet plans, packing, etc. We are also still at fever pitch with environmental affairs and the ministries. As many of you may be aware, Canada is no shining star when it comes to climate change and other environmental concerns. We are trying to get some action. Do they not have children or grandchildren? No, I guess it is about making rich people richer. UGH.

Today I'll make a huge vat of soup for our French Club Christmas gathering tonight.

Next comes DH's exams and marking.

On the very positive side, a friend's 1 year old granddaughter has had very successful surgery for a growing hemangioma from her forehead. A huge relief for all.

Rush Rush Rush!
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Sneaking in from the awfice , to add my vote for a pic of V's jumbo tree in it's finery--V I'm going to get out my tripod this weekend and fiddle around with taking indoor flashless photos. We'll see how they turn out !

Kathy in Napa, sneaking back out..

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

The lights are on the tree but no ornaments as yet. This was budget week for the church so I have not been home much. The weekend job will be to deck the monster.

I should share some of the tale of installing the Insane Tree. DH was the one who picked out the tree. Since it was rather tall, he cut it about three feet above the ground. He and DD were going to drag the tree to the house, but they could barely budge it! So he went to get the ATV. Of course, it was too heavy to lift onto the ATV, so he rigged up some straps to drag it.

Well, in the heavy snow, the tires of the ATV were just spinning. I laughed that we would have the only Christmas tree that smelled like gas exhaust instead of pine! Finally, he decided to cut off another section of trunk. I couldn't even lift the portion that was cut off, and I usually can lift a good fifty pounds.

So now he takes off, dragging the tree . . . up the gravel driveway. Yes, there are scraped branches on the tree! :0

By the time all this was accomplished, he had something else to do so the tree sat in the backyard for a day. We finally got it in the house, which added a few more scrapes to the branches, and got it upright in the stand. Once he saw the tree inside, DH immediately called our son and asked him to come over and help us tie the top of the tree to the balcony. So we now have a bruised tree in bondage!

Kathy, I tried to take some flashless photos without a tripod. The colors were great, but of course you just can't hold the camera still enough. A tripod is on my Christmas list.

DD is seeing The Merry Widow at the Lyric Opera tonight with a group college friends. They can get student tickets for a very low price. It's been nice having her home; she's made dinner for me every night this week.

Chelone, you are overdue for a check in!

V.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I am so envious of those of you are have finished shopping and are so ready. I planned to get out this weekend, but we are awaiting 12-24 inches of snow beginning tonight. I am SO excited! Of course, after 48 hours, I will be ready for it to be gone. If we really get a lot, we may be able to begin our break three days early. Northern Virginia does not do well with huge snows-lots of back roads never get plowed, so schools get cancelled when lots of us could actually get there pretty easily-not that I'm complaining mind you...

As far as the tree on the deck goes, it is decorated with LED lights only. I considered adding bird seed decorations, but then it occurred to me that the squirrels would probably climb the tree to get those. Then, the four-footed fools would be climbing the tree to get the squirrels, and then, well, not a pretty picture!

Kathy, love the idea of truffles in the sauce! Which brings to mind the story of the fellow near here in Maryland who just won $1 million on a lottery scratch-off ticket. How much fun would that be?!

Fabulous cardinal photos, Deanna.

Those pictures of Ivy always make me smile, 'bug.

Woody, thinking of you and Randy.

I will post pictures of our snow tomorrow. Not a flake yet...

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

TGIF ! Its a little late in the day for the "Sue" greeting, but Im off for a week so Im feeling celebratory. The next few days will involve much cleaning, wrapping, menu planning etc. I have to buy a mattress this weekend too-one of the guest beds is un-sleepable fortunately its a twin , so hopefully it wont break the bank. I need Santa to bring me a winning lottery ticket, lol. I have to do some garden chores too, and we are in for high 50 daytime temps over the weekend I will start pruning the roses after the 1st but now I have slimy stuff to cut back, and sweeping of patios and walkways.

Julie, glad to hear that TCS is faring better in the latest round of meds. I took a pic of Fabu Mantle and posted it on FB-terrible pic though ! I will post here when I can get something that looks decent.

Hello to all !

Kathy in Napa

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

A quick check in from me too - count me as the VA idyller who is NOT excited about 12 to 20 inches of snow - golly... too much to do. Altho I dont mind being forced in this weekend for some drafted cleaning and to finish decorating the tree (gee, Deanne, mine's in the same state -- about 1/2 decorated), I dislike the idea of having to try to shovel for the next 24 hours - if not, I'll not get out til February....

Good luck w/ all your holiday hecticity, Kathy - sounds like a grand time.

Love the festivities everyone is having - that cranberry recipe looks to die for, yum!

V - the is sure a tree story for the memory books!! Paul Bunyon would have loved that tree...

I think I may have nitemares tho about snow drifts.... however do you hearty snowbirds do it?

Merry greetings to all - will check back tomorrow if computer and electricity permit.

--cindy

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Good morning all!

So Candy and Cindy must be socked in with snow this morning! How's the winter wonderland? I'm not looking forward to it myself, and still haven't checked the weather this morning.

My family party is supposed to be tomorrow - I wonder if I'll have to cancel? I hope not. I've already baked the cake, and I don't think I can keep my hands off of it for a week :)

Today I am scanning pictures of Christmas Past to play like a screen saver on the t.v. at the party. Funny to look into Nick's family through the decades :)

I'm feeling like I'd better go ahead and get to moving so I can put the finishing touches on everything I hope to accomplish! One of the things I'm looking forward to trying is a risotto dish that allows you to cook it mostly ahead, adding the finishing touch just before putting it on the buffet. Who thought you could have risotto on a buffet? I hope it turns out like planned and not a bowl of mushy rice :)

Saucy

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Our four-footed fools/slap happy idiots have different ideas about all this snow. Clouseau loves it. First thing he did this morning was bury his head in it-followed by leaping and running and begging his mom to join him. Annabelle-not so inclined! It really is pure joy to watch him. Just makes me laugh. I will have to put on the boots and go out with him in a little while.

My "should-be-but-isn't-yet" DIL called last night to see if I would drive her to her hair appointment since her car wouldn't make it through the snow. We are waiting to see how bad it gets. I am going to trudge out to the main road (actually-not a long walk at all) to check out the situation. She hasn't called this morning yet, so perhaps she has decided to wait a couple of days. I don't mind driving in the snow, but having other cars out there, too, makes it worrisome. I imagine everyone feels that way-LOL!

Cindy, take some time to enjoy all this! I finally broke down and contacted someone to shovel/plow us out this year. I didn't want DH trying to do it at this point and I usually only get the sidewalk done. DS usually did it with friends in the past, but he sold his Landrover, so he isn't going to be getting out right now, either!

Time to pull on the boots. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Well, golly -snow musings from me today --

now a blizzard warning here -- I leapt out of bed this a.m. worrying about the amount of snow (before I heard that blizzard warning)(having peaked out the windows several times during the nite) and without caffeine got out and shoveled about 12 inches of steps, walkway, cleaned the car, shoveled around the car, and the 3 foot high pile of ice crapola the snow plow lovingly puts behind our cars when he plows. I never get that - why is the side of the street with no cars totally clean,and he piles the dreck behind the cars and parking spaces for us to break our backs. It's always seemed to me that logic could dictate that he approach in a different direction if its plow direction issue - or is that a Y chromosome problem that can't solve the problem? (personally, I suspect conspiracy payback, LOL...)

I'd say there's about 12 inches in my area right now; and this is before the heavier storm really has kicked in... But I do need to get back to work this week and figure getting the snow exercise (esp when no snow plow/blower owned) is the only way to keep up with the volume, hope the back holds out!!

Saucy - I hope the snow is less for you guys so your party happens -- that would be terrible to have all the yummy food and no takers. I'd gain 30 lbs since one wouldnt want the food to go to waste!

Have had computer issues both at awfice and home the last couple of weeks and holiday errands that left me with no energy or time to idyll.. I really miss checking in - Im relieved however to see that the same thread is up and running so other folks are obviously busy busy too.

All you intrepid mid-westerners and New Englanders are likely laughing at my folly over the foot to two feet predictions of snow -- but this area generally doesnt handle it well; to say nothing of moi....

Well, off to get some more caffeine and kick back for a while til I think of decorating the tree - gotta get all the deco mess put away today so cleaning can start -- just like dominos!

-cindy

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Here are a few pics. We are close to Cindy and have more than a foot on the ground now. My pics are nearly as good as Deanna's, but hope you enjoy nonetheless. The black dog is Annabelle and Clouseau is the other. He just wants to stay out in this all day-just like a kid, but messier when he comes in at last!
    {{gwi:191041}}From Drop Box
    {{gwi:191042}}From Drop Box
    {{gwi:191043}}From Drop Box
    {{gwi:191043}}From Drop Box
    {{gwi:191044}}From Drop Box

The night shot was last night around 10 pm.

It has been so long since I posted pics, it has taken me forever to remember and add these. Oh well. Hope it works!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    14 years ago

Great pictures Cyn! I want to take that dog in the first one home....:-)

No snow to speak of here. Maybe Monday...

Blue arrived Tuesday to stay until Jan.9.

Still lots of uncertainties on all fronts here so I'm sticking to participating in things that don't require much thought, so I've posted on other GW forums but not much here :-)

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

On break, next task will be a gift wrapping session, by the time I get that done it may be warm enough to go outside for awhile..hearing reports this morning on NPR of the blizzard woes of my east coast pals..sounds like Irish Coffees are needed all around !

Back later

Kathy in Napa

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Yeah, Kathy, I've already been into the fortified egnog today!!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Hmm...just noticed my spelling of eggnog-maybe there was a little too much fortification going on here....LOL. Still, I REALLY am enjoying this day and the snow...

Woody, Clouseau is without a doubt the best dog I've ever had and that is saying a lot. He is loaded with personality and is just so much fun.

Still snowing. woohoo!

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Mattress for guest room bought, almost all of the presents wrapped (but not all bows done yet) Star Jasmine that was grabbing my car every time I pulled into the garage is trimmed, 1/3 of grocery shopping done, furniture gone over with the upholstery tool on the vacuum,2pm beer consumed (Bass Ale) and the plants got to spend a few hours outside in the fresh air . A glass of wine is poured and laundry is in process. Ive been enjoying the snowy pics both here and on FB..so pretty ! Especially if you dont have to go anywhere, lol.

Nice to see you Woody ..I saw some of your posts over yonder-Im a luker here and there . Sorry to hear there are still uncertainties and hope a corner is turned soon for you.

Annabelle and Clouseau are quite photogenic Cyn, and love the shot of the birds too.

Waving to all !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Like Kathy, the job list is getting narrowed down, but still more to finish. Got the trip to the dump done, the last before we travel. Bought cat litter and other necessities and even a new pair of running shoes. This is a BIG and expensive task for me as I use orthotics and have web shaped feet (almost)...but I will be comfortable now even if not a fashion plate.

We attended a nice party last night, arriving late due to various last minute annoyances. One was the delayed appearance of yet another propane truck in our laneway. This trip was at least successful. The party was attended by many friends, but somehow all the sweets put me off. There was a Quebec maple syrup pudding/cake thing, coconut squares, Nanaimo bars, a lemon curd and meringue roll, cranberry pop corn,....I don't know, just so much sugar. Anyway, I had lunch but couldn't manage any dinner tonight after all the food yesterday.

The Salvation Army band at the grocery store was really good today and DH and I were impressed as never before with tuba playing.

Somehow, while replenishing the fire this morning, I managed to set my hair on fire. Good grief! Well it was no big problem, but burned hair sure smells awful! I wonder if my hairdresser didn't use some amazing product on my hair yesterday. The flames sought me out!

I finished the blanket I was knitting, now for crocheting an edge on it.

So glad to see Woody popping in. Hope Blue is good companionship. I was very saddened to hear that our neighbour's dog died of pneumonia in November. The poor dog was Phoebe's good companion, a bit younger than her. She'd recovered from a bout of pneumonia in October and then a second round proved too much for her. Here's to Nora:

{{gwi:159736}}

We delivered cards and cookies to various people, then spent time by the fire tonight. Hope things are calm at your home tonight as well!

'bug

• candy_j
    14 years ago

Wow, Cindy and Cynwhat a tremendous amount of snow got dumped in your area! Have you set any records with this storm? Im hearing major power outages are widespread, also. It sounds like youre pacing yourself with the shoveling, Cindy and thats wise. Weve only had snow showers here which is fine with me, you can keep it Cyn, lol. Love the way Clouseau has plopped himself in the snow and he appears to be grinning with delight. Annabelle now, has that "are we done out here yet?" look in her eyes.

Kathy, pictures please! With all your descriptions of decorating I know the house will be beautiful for having everyone over this Christmas. Ive always wanted a mantel and fireplace so Im prepared to covet yours instantly.

Julie, happy to hear of progress with TCS and his meds. Trying to regulate and adjust medication to create the right balance can be distressing but I hope the situation is on the way to leveling out. You sound as though youre bouncing back with good spirits.

Deanne, I cant get enough of your bird photos! I just love to study these close ups and enjoy making observations Ive never noticed. The fact that female cardinals arent as plain as I thought surprised me; they have subtle hues blending in with a rich caramel coloring that isnt drab beige in good lighting. And the males, not just red they have a delicate dry brush effect of silvery grey tips on some of those intricate feathers. Thanks again for sharing your photography and giving us a view we cant see from our windows.

Hi Norma! I would love to see a photo of your sweet autumn clematis on that swing arbor, that appeals to me as I enjoy clematis rambling up any kind of structure.

Saucy, really great idea of scanning photos for a TV screen saver! Thats going to be a big hit with the family thanks to yougosh, I wish I was more technical minded. But my mind gets preoccupied with things like that chocolate cake more often than it should, lol. Mmmm, how about a pic!

VI knew youd have stories about the gargantuan tree. I can see those wheels spinning trying to haul it! Didnt it scratch the woodwork coming through the door? Waiting with everyone else to see the behemoth all decked out.

Woody, still holding you in my thoughts and will continue to do so.

Yikes! Thats scary bug, even if it was just a small whiff of burning hair.

Ah, its late and I need my beauty sleep18 hours might be enough, lol.

Health tip of the day: Nap when you have opportunity

{{gwi:191045}}

• chelone
    14 years ago

Woefully behind (no hope of catching up as the field rounds the far turn and heads down the homestretch).

I am mastering the woodstove in the Salon (where I've been puttin' in quality time). It's an interesting exercise in how to maintain the comfortable temperature without having the furnace come on to augment the heat over night. I feed the stove 3 times/day; early morning, upon return from work, and before going to bed. I have a nice bed of coals at the end of every burn and have not had to start a fire "from scratch" in nearly 5 days now.

I have asked Santa to bring me a new poker (long handle) and a coal rake. The coal rake will allow me to save the coals and empty accumulated ashes at the same time with minimal inconvenience.

Christmas decorations are not yet finished, but could be by the end of this snowy day. :) It's beautiful outdoors today which reminds me to tell Michelle your snowy door shots are terrific. I have not poached the topiary idea, BTW.

I love watching the Cardinals here. The colors of both Mr. and Mrs. Cardinal are just beautiful; one so bright and the other a restrained variation on the color scheme. I like to study the detail of the feathers in your shots, Deanne. It reminds me of Larry. Knowing a bird personally over many years (17) gave me a great appreciation of them.

OK, I have to go play with the stapler and greenery. :) Waving to all, esp. Woody!

• saucydog
    14 years ago

My party has been postponed, rescheduled for next week. The only real downside I can think of is trying to keep the house clean for a week! I'm going to bring my big bowl of salad over to my MILs along with the chocolate cake and eat them up tonight :)

The Crustless Cranberry Pie was a hit! I made two gluten free versions and took one to play Banangrams with SunnyD last night. It really hits the spot, sweet and tart.

It seems I keep getting Candy and Cyn mixed up...at least I think I have been...I'll get it straight sooner or later!

Maybe I'll go find my camera and see if I can get some pictures loaded up here. It's that kind of day, I think.

Saucy

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Well, the lovely part of snow is over and the reality is setting in -- 22 inches official for c'ville and it's going to be a painful day with more shovelling in the works.

Okay, 'bug - I think that's a first -- hair on fire report... geez, you're lucky it wasnt worse - how scary!! I hope you can fix the cut so that it isnt so noticeable... What a sad tale re Phoebe's friend - goes to show one never knows what's going to be serious for dawgs - That's a sweet memorial shot of pup energy.

Can tell Kathy is in manic mode - impressive list of accomplishments; I can hope to hit just a few today...

Bummer, Saucy! I'd be challenged to keep my house clean for a week and it's just me and Chloe.... At least you can take some of your goodies to be enjoyed and shared tonite. Maybe an encore dessert can be a simple trifle or something easy to sling together...

Well, Im avoiding the main task of the day; guess there are no magic elfs available to pop thru the screen here and do some chores and shovelling --

Have a pleasant day enjoying the winter scenery wherever you are today, idyllers.

-cindy

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

No worries, saucy-I am happy to be confused for Candy! I love her posts and those health tips she adds are the best! I wish I were so clever!

Candy, you nailed the pups! Clouseau would stay out all day in this if he could. The only weather he avoids is rain (unless we are going on a walk, then it is grrrreat!) He is also not wild about the heat, so winter is a joy for him.

Cindy, I am relaxing and enjoying this snow for one more day. Will take a walk with the pups and maybe get out to the store if I decide I want to bake cookies-ran out of sugar and should have restocked last week! That is, if I can get out of the driveway. DS assures me (on the phone as he is driving back from Denver) that if I raise the car as high as it will go, no worries. He is always appalled that I don't put the car through its paces more often ("Mom, you don't know what this car will do!"). Oh well.

Chelone, I am jealous of your woodstove. We used to have one when we lived in NC. I am sorry we don't have one here every time I hear that furnace kick on-which is often at this point.

I, too, am looking forward to seeing everyone's pictures of their holiday decorations-especially yours Kathy-I'll be needing those wonderful California views in a few days when we are still looking out at all this snow! All the neighbors are out clearing driveways and sidewalks. we should have a party!

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

A memorial pic of our Tommy:

{{gwi:191046}}

He died last night, after a terrible week of what I think was the same ailment that Trubby had ...twice. Trubby has not had another spell, and is as healthy as a horse. I am almost certain it was Heartworms.There is very little that can be done about that.
    We are all 3 very sad....Trubby, Nolon, and I. He was my all time favorite cat.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's to Tommy, the all time favorite cat.

An Ode to Cats

The cat comes in at the door and then
    Once more mews to be out again,
    Scratches at forbidden doors,
    Leaves marks on forbidden floors-

But no one will resist the plea
    Trembling, mewing- "oh, help me! "
    Big yellow-green eyes looking at you
    Pleading or dignified, telling you to

Do their bidding, follow their lead,
    Begging, ordering until you concede
    To give them whatever they like or require-
    Enchanting cat! To whom I aspire!

Nine-lives cat- cant die anyway-
    Curious cat- always ready to play-
    Kitten, dashing round the field-
    Or dignified elder who will not yield!

Wonderful cat- sneaking in the night,
    Shadows hiding it from every sight,
    Shadow on shadow, silent pads
    Bearing it to wilder lands,

Or, pampered, sleeping deep,
    Lovely coat and lovely sleep,
    Warm cat bed and a bowl of food,
    Caresses and a gentle mood.

Orange, yellow, gray or blue,
    Black, white, a mixture too,
    Prowling round wherever they will-
    Yet unconquered, wild still

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

(((Marian and Nolon)))

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

oh, Marian, I am so sad for you. I love the picture you posted. Makes me miss having a cat around! I will be giving the slap-happy idiots their heartworm meds at the end of this week.

Lovely poem, 'bug.

• candy_j
    14 years ago

Oh, Marian I am so very sorry to hear you lost Tommy! Pets become such a part of our daily lives and routine that youre reminded of their absence constantly. Youre in good company here, most everyone knows the heartache of losing a beloved pet. Hows Nolon taking this sad event? Thinking of you today, Marian and wish mere words could be of more help.

I only came in to read while the almond bark munchies cool but I had to touch base after reading that news. Hope to return to Idylland later tonight

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

2pm beer break time. Mattress delivered, more bows made, greenhouse window(and contents thereof) in the kitchen cleaned , grocery shopping #2 done, living room carpet shampooed, bird feeders filled, 2 loads of laundry..jeesh, it sounds pretty impressive when I spell it out !
    The Sunday newspaper is still wrapped in plastic-I may get to it later . Rain has started now, so the patio sweeping will be done another day.

Lovely poem you posted for Marian bug. And when is your depature for the wild west ? One hates to think of the hairdresser putting flammable products on ones head- I remember the good old days of aqua net and other aerosol propelled hairsprays that created the crash helmet look of the very early 60s. I can only imagine the result if those particular coiffures got close to wood stove fire.

Saucy, its easy to tell Cyn and Candy apart if you remember that all of our Cindys and Cynthias are in the same geographic area- I m thinkin its easier to keep the house clean for a week that it is to do the initial clean-up..Im waiting till the last minute to do 2 of the bathrooms .

Hi Chelone, glad to see you, even briefly. I was glad to hear of staplers and greenery-I infer that the pediments are moving forward.

Alright, back to work ..waves to all ..

Kathy in Napa