Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monique_gw

Idyll #296-Holiday Festivities

Monique z6a CT
17 years ago

Well, here is a photo finally

{{gwi:191062}}
We had a wonderful time at SueÂs party, as usual. Great food-IÂm still stuffed. Good company, especially once we gained control of the comfy sofa and chairs LOL

Marie-nice sweater! IÂm sure sheÂll appreciate it.

Michelle-what a great photo of you and Rick-so festive.

Ei, I am on the side of less frequent vaccinations for dogs. I tend to titer for distemper and parvo and give the rabies vaccine every 3 years, only b/c that is what is required by law. There are studies to suggest that dogs should get the vaccines up to possibly the 1 year shots, then there is lifelong immunity. I simply cannot believe that the veterinary community has not tested the duration of the vaccines. However, a study has just started to test the duration of the rabies vaccine up to 5 and 7 years. FINALLY! Many dogs have bad reactions to vaccines and scientific studies are needed. Emma had a moderate reaction to a vaccine that the vet talked me into a few years ago even though I should not have listened to him. We ended up giving her childrenÂs benadryl to calm her down and reduce the itchiness. Anyway, I posted the website below.

Comments (101)

• triple_creek
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Eden, I've spent a lot of time this last week trying to speed up on switching chords. I don't do bad playing the melodies but the arthritis in my index and middle finger slow me down on the chords.

Heres a laugh. Rebel has been coming in the house some since cold weather. He is usually in another room when I play guitar. I noticed he quit wanting in as much. Then yesterday when I started practicing he seemed a little ancy and when I started to sing he wanted to go outside. Now I know I'm not a good singer, but is it that bad? LOL,LOL
    I got to thinking about it and came to the conclusion (maybe) he is just not used to me being anything other than quite since when no one else is here (which is a lot) I hardly ever say anything more than good boy or lets go or some such. Maybe he thinks I'm upset or something. LOL
    Probaly its the lousy singing though. Jasmine seems to like it. She curls up on the bed or rubs up against the guitar. But then again I sometimes think she must be deaf when she gets yowly. LOL

Off to bed . Norma

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Hi Norma!

I just realized how late my post is...I started it before dinner...we ate hours ago. I was having so much trouble logging in here...still am.

Anyway, you crack me up! LOL! I don't think it has anything to do with your guitar playing and singing though...I would love to hear you play! Well, at least Rebel wasn't howling! :-)

Good Night All! Ei

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Hi all -I have returned in triumph from my bathroom cleaning expedition ..thanks but no thanks Norma ! I've switched to wine now ! LOL..
    I was cleaning the guest room and changeing sheets when I realized that one of the beds was two matresses instead of a matress and box spring. Saggy as hell. DS offered to excange his box spring for the extra matress, so all is well. we did a switcheroo and put his two matresses directly on the floor so they don't sag. We need new matresses bad around here, mine is 30 years old. I love sleeping in a nice hotel !

Came downstairs again and am now baking cookies- DS made a batch of shortbread cookies , and I am now making snickerdooldles.

Ei , thanks so much for the nice comments on my Christmas Tree. : ) I just love those plain old colored glass balls and have a ridiculous amount of them. I keep buying more when they go on 50% off !
    And wow, do you know all those lyrics by heart ?? I was singing along with your post.. I still laugh at Bing and Danny doing "Sisters" even though I've seen it about 500 times !

PM2, yes a Dodgers fan all the way. I was born and raised in Los Angeles. I have a satellite baseball package that gives me about 60 games a weeks ( don't watch that many, but there are lot's to choose from and I never have to se commercials 'cause I can just switch to another game.But it is cool to be able to see so many Dodger games since I live now in Giants territory, an hour from San Francisco.

Time to go have some soup and bake more cookies. Tommorow the company comes ! Hi to everyone ..

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

pm2, sorry to confuse you. The first photo is of DGS and DH in Alberta where our daughter lives. DGS is in fact not a blood relative, but her DH's son by a previous marriage, so any similarities are coincidental. DGS really is adorable, so all compliments greatfully accepted! The wedding scene was in Alberta at her FIL's place, so the ceremony took place right beside those trees.

Norma, the guitar belongs to our daughter and the leather strap was a gift made by a girlfriend of hers. Pretty neat! I'm sure you'd have fun designing one too. Perhaps the web has different designs?

Eden, it was definitely the chocolate I smelled, LOL!

CHELONE! One experimental bootie completed! Hey, that was fun too! If I get two that match, I'll show you in a photo.
    To BED!
    'bug

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Happy Friday!!! Celebrated the Solstice without burning the house down. 15yo neighbor came to join me with a few of her friends who I think were expecting fire and brimstone. They must've been sorely disappointed. LOL

Last of the Holiday preparations are done. It'll be really strange just having 5 tops for dinner. We are, though, all congregating at my sister's log cabin for Sunday afternoon and a full brunch/lunch/sugar circus. She is an awesome baker and I have trouble remembering to measure, so cookies are her realm. I bring dips and this year the star will be garlic and maple.

Kathy -- We need to send you out some Sam Adams. It is brewery in Boston that has exploded in popularity for good reason. The one beer I have each year is a Sam Adams Summer Ale. Yes, it's that good. Since you have the west coast's plain ball inventory depleted, I'll know to stay east. Poor DS just shook his head last night when I pulled out the new stuff that I just have to use or it will be a waste. Right? DS suggests that we not chop off 2' next year so there will be enough room for ornaments.

Cindy -- Breathe. Breathe. Breathe.

Eden - Ya!! You get Bella going early with music and it will be second nature to her. All of us could play simple piano tunes and read music by the time we were six and to this day it comes in handy. I can't sing for beans but my family can and they are loud so my voice doesn't matter.

Ei: You just saved me a ton of time. My girlfriend's wedding anniversary is Dec 24 and I wanted the "Here There and Everywhere" lyrics for her card. Thank you!

Chelone: You never cease to amaze me. 4.5 hours for a shirt!!! You go, girlfriend.

Everyone else: Have loved reading this morning and wish I had time to respond to everyone. You're all in my good thoughts!

Today is a schlep day. Jeans, too, which never happens for business. Get to visit two holiday lunches today. One is a BBQ. How cool is that?

Let Heaven and Nature Sing!

Martie

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Good Morning, Getting an early start today getting Bud to the groomer by 8am. Just heard on the radio NO SNOW for the forecasted future. I'm dreaming of a green Christmas and loving it! And it is green out there with all of the rain we've gotten. We have light rain for today and 53F and then clearing up for the weekend. Perfect Christmas weather in my book. On todays agenda, jam thumbprints, shortbread, laundry, Bella and cleaning the bathroom. I won't mind doing any of it but maybe the last one just a little. My mom and dad will be down either this afternoon or tomorrow morning too. I'm having a busy but happy holiday!

Marie, I can't wait to see the booties. There's nothing cuter than baby booties (except the chubby little feet they'll be keeping cozy)! Did you get the tree up and decorated?

Martie, maybe stretch pants instead of jeans with all of the food you'll be eating today, lol? We drink Sam Adams!

Kathy, enjoy your company. I love your tree too!

Ei, the walnuts are good! My favorite is White Christmas and I like "Sisters" too. Especially when the guys sing it.

Michelle, are you feeling better? Hope so!

Time to take Bud for his appointment. Hope some other Idyllers stop in here today to say Happy Holidays. I think it's safe... :)

Eden

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

TGIF!

Drive by here. I've had a hellacious week at work. So much so that I'm thinking about tossing a resume together but that's a story for another time.

Much merriment going on here today. Our town men's garden club put together one of those full monty like calendars for 2007 and I bought one as a gift for one of my co-workers. So far it's been the hit of the office-the best $$$ I spent on a gift so far. She got to Mr. December and yelled out, "I go to the gym with this guy!" When our IT manager looked at it, he got to December and yelled, "I just bought this guy's house." LOLOL!

Happy Friday!

Sue

• yeonasky
    17 years ago

((((Sue)))) anyone would be happy to hire you. Too bad things have been tough at work. It must mean your bosses are too short sighted to see a good worker when they have one, and to act on it by taking care of you. I hope you have a lovely holiday and find you've got a big raise and an assistant when and if you go back to that place to work. Not that they deserve you! Maybe you should branch out on your own. I'm sure you'd be a smashing success.

Yeona

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Hi everyone

Happy Solstice, Happy Friday, Happy 3 days before Christmas to you all!

It's been crazy busy here but work is done for the year - Yay! presents purchased and mostly wrapped, teacher's gifts dispatched, fudge made and packaged, decorations up, house sortof cleaned and several evenings of fun partaken. Missed out on any drunken debauchery but the season is still young.

T - that is the most amazing, fantastic news!!!

Eden - the pictures with Bella are just precious. I love Brad and her together with the guitar. The joy she brings is evident in all.

Babs - spill the beans when you can about Chris' interview. I'm sure they loved him to bits.

Sue - that calendar sounds way too funny. Doubly so when you know the models! Did you see Calendar Girls with Helen Mirrim?

Everyone else, I've loved reading your news but I'm dead tired and still have to cook dinner and finish holiday cards. Cyber waves instead to you all.

I'll peek in as time allows.

Mary

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

{{gwi:191090}}

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Sue to funny about the calendar. Get some rest.

Marie they look very matching to me. Add me to the expecting grandmothers but mine will be a Great Grandchild.

Hi Yeona and Mary and Martie Cindy and all other busy Idylls.

Look what I found blooning under the lights this morning.

{{gwi:191091}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Good evening...

Cindy..hello from the newbie. :-)

Eden...we have always enjoyed Jeopardy here too. I used to enjoy the Judds when they were together. 'Rockin' With the Rhythm of the Rain' was one of my favorites. I guess I haven't listened to Wynonna much since she went on her own. Although I did hear her do Elvis on a special and she was pretty good at it.

Ei....I heard on the morning show that 'It's a Wonderful Life' was voted the #1 most inspirational movie of all time. I agree they did show it too much and I had to skip it for awhile.
    White Christmas...another annual tradition for me too.

You will have to tell me sometime how you are having success with the coleus. I did manage to keep one alive over the winter the year before last, but last year, I made it through the whole winter and then lost it in March just before it was going out again. I didn't even bring any in this winter. I had too many plants to bring in anyway. [g]

I haven't heard that 'Count My Blessings Instead of Sheep' song in years. If I remember right, it was Bing Crosby who did it.

We do have some commonalities Norma. Tony Bennett too..'I left my heart in San Francisco' . :-)
    No one was an out and out jazz fan, but we did enjoy what I consider 'jazzy' singers... Ella Fitzgerald? I am always pulled toward someone like Anita Baker or Natalie Cole which I think of again as 'jazzy'. My Mom also was not Italian, but knew a little Italian and had some of the funny expressions down, would enjoy Dean Martin's songs in Italian, Rosemary Clooney singing 'Mambo Italiano' ....lol. I also had much older siblings and then one brother that was close in age to me.
    Funny. :-)

I love that 'Beatles' song! I don't know who started the Beatles theme, but I hadn't listened to them in ages. As a matter of fact when I went to play some, I discovered I didn't even have one Beatle song on the computer. Luckily I had a CD in the house and listened to the whole album the other day. Really enjoyed it. :-)

Kathy...Boston area...Red Sox country here. :-) I am not a devoted fan, but our kids don't miss a game. I don't follow all the teams so I asked my son about the Dodgers. According to him, you have a very good team there and also have some players now that used to be on the Red Sox. I will have to pay attention the next time the Red Sox play the Dodgers. :-)

gardenbug,,,,My eyesight is not what it used to be. I didn't recognize your grandson in the photo with your husband as the same boy in the wedding day photo of your daughter and family. He really is very cute and so is your son. :-)

Sue, I got a good laugh out of your post this morning. Too funny!

Hello Mary and Happy Sostice to you too!

'bug...you are fast on the booties! Too small for a Christmas stocking this year. [g]

Healthy Happy Hibiscus ...and the color of the season Norma. :-)

I've had this photo on my desktop for two days and it brings a smile to my face every time I open the computer, so I thought I would share it.

{{gwi:191092}}

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Hi again

Norma - beautiful card and congratulations on your upcoming Great-Grandchild! I'd love to hear you sing and play the guitar - I promise I wouldn't ask to go outside!

Bug - just love the booties.

Prairiemoon - that makes me smile too. My DH knows Anne Geddes and has spent time with her on photo shoots. He was in Las Vegas while photographing her book Miracle with Celine Dion. I enjoyed hearing about the room where there were 30 newborn babies, asleep with their mothers, waiting to be brought out and onto the set. Anne Geddes is quite unique!

Clousseua by the way is a Brittany spaniel, much loved by the family but a shameless bin-diver when on his own.

Eden - those sour-cream walnuts sound soooooo good. I'll be trying them this weekend.

Kathy - my DH is from Los Angeles too - he grew up in the valley.

Mary

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

I'm so tired tonight I almost feel ill. Christmas preparations and taking care of a toddler, both at the same time, have me sooooo tired out. Tomorrow I have a lot to finish up, thank goodness Jennifer is taking Bella, Megan has to work. I need to finish straightening up the house and have a couple more cookie recipes I want to try. I'll be sending Brad to the grocery store for the Christmas Eve dinner ingredients in the morning.

Marie, what a cute little pair of baby booties. They look like a little boy. Do we know what the baby is, boy or girl?

Norma, congratulations! Will this be your first great grandchild? What a pretty Christmas hibiscus! Try saying that 3 times fast, lol.

Mary, how cool that your dh knows Ann Geddes. I've always wondered about what all goes on while setting up all those babies in her photos. You'll like the walnuts!

Prairiemoon, I brought in too many plants too and they're suffering for it. There just aren't enough hours in the day for me to give them the care I'd like to. I just pray they hang on until I can get them back outside in the spring.

Sue, too bad you can't post any of the calendar pics here, lol. I don't remember your work being this hectic in the past. I seems like you've been really busy for a while now. Will you get any time off over the holidays?

Hi Deanne. Thinking of you.

T, did you survive the twins the last couple of days? Bet you're tired too!

Babs? Saucy? Taryn?

I still have to gather up and take out the trash and fold a load of laundry and then it's the couch and some mindless tv for me until Megan gets here to pick up Bella. That will probably not be until around 11pm.

Eden

• chelone
    17 years ago

Good morning from rhino-virus land. Nothing like a cold for Christmas; the hand washing regimen has been stepped up in frequency and I'm crossing my fingers Mum doesn't catch it. (That's just what I need for the remaining week I'm off).

I have some last minute things to do today (wrapping and some cleaning), but as I said, we don't "get our knickers" in a twist over any holiday. It will be a good day for it, the rain is pounding on the roof and even Rex won't be much interested in "walkies" today.

BOOTIES! they look great, 'bug... and I like the soft grey. Accessorize with pink or blue ribbons should you decide to veer down "Sappy Lane" for a bit. :)

Mercy! but the Idyll brood is increasing; the pictures of Bella are priceless; now, where's Kenzie, and T.'s "little old men" (lol)?

I've been wondering about Chris's interview, too. I'm sure Nurse Ratchet will drop in soon and give us all the details.

Also wondering about the whereabouts and well-being of Taryn, Saucy, and others on sabbatical. I have to go back and reread more carefully (not much time for that right now). I had lots to share, but have lost most of it. So, I'm off to the kitchen to clean up there, and get the laundry started. Nothing like hot soapy water to remind you of what you've forgotten.

The ALL TIME BEST Christmas album is "Ella Wishes You a Swinging Christmas", the Frank de Vol Orchestra backs up the greatest jazz singer of all time. (Frank de Vol performed many TV theme songs, notably the theme from "Family Affair"). Ella's voice and her command of whatever material she was performing is truly awe inspiring. She could do it flawlessly in the studio, but the real mark of a "pro" is that she was able to do it night after night, LIVE and on the road. The consummate professional!

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Good Morning Idylls!

I just wanted to tell Norma Congratulations! Thats exciting news. But, you seem too young to be a Great Grandma! Is this the first Great Grandchild? Beautiful hibiscus...how neat to have something blooming in the house now.

I am still having problems logging on here. I probably shouldnt even being posting here right now. When I try to log on I get a message that "This websites Certificate is not valid??? and/or that there are configuration problems". I dont know if its a problem with them or with my computer (probably my computer, since no one else seems to be having a problem). I know my "security" is pretty high and I have had problems with my virus software before, so Im going to have to see if I can figure out the problem. Until I can figure it out, you probably wont see any posts from me and just wanted you to know that so that no one would be wondering what happened to me. You guys will probably be glad to have me shut me up anyway...LOL! I *know* I talk too much! :-(

Oh and also wanted to tell Martie...I think that's neat that your putting the lyrics to a song in your friend's anniversary card. What a clever idea...why didn't I ever think of that?!

Sue sorry work has been such a drag lately. You have always come across to me as very competent person and a go-getter and have a great rapport with your co-workers and boss, so I know it will all work out. In any case, they *are* lucky to have you and as Yeona states "you would be a smashing success at anything you do."

Bug the booties *are* adorable! :-)

I've missed Taryn too and wish her and her family a wonderful 1st Christmas in their new home...

Hi Babs! :-) Hope you are all having a wonderful holiday season and hope all went well with Chris.

In the meantime, I just want to wish everyone A Beautiful Holiday Season and a New Year of Peace and Happiness....

And one more "Anniversary" song for Martie....for future use....LOL! Actually, it's a very sneak way for me to post another song I've always loved.

I am a sucker for a cappella music. A well harmonized song can lift my spirits every time and make me feel like singing out loud. Maybe that is why (among the many styles of song I love) I *do* enjoy soul and do-wop too...its just the harmony and beautifully matched voices that just gets to me. Billy Joel is good at a cappella too. In fact, I honestly *thought* this song was also sung by Billy Joel, but couldnt find it in his credits.

Anyway, this song was originally sung by The Thymes and they sung it beautifully (back in the 1960s) I think. Its called "So Much In Love". I also love the version sung a few years back by All 4 one.

Anyway, I've been enjoying my old Soul Street Christmas Album, along with Bing Crobys Christmas Through The Years, Vince Guaraldi Trio, Aaron Neville's Soulful Christmas, December & Winter into Spring by George Winston and Twas the Night Before Christmas with Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians (highly recommended...though you may have a hard time finding it - it's *very* old).

Oh and one more bit of childrens music recommendations for bug. Bug, if you can find it look for Anne Murray's There's a Hippo in my Tub. The *best* children's album ever put together. My son's (and my) favorite as a child and includes songs like Animal Crackers in my Soup; Hi-Lili Hi Lo, Teddy Bear Picnic, Inch Worm, and a wonderful Lullaby Medley.

Okay...here's the song and me signing off....

So much in love
    As we stroll along together
    Holding hands, walking all alone
    So in love are we two
    That we don't know what to do
    So in love (doo, so in love)
    In a world of our own (doo, so in love)
    As we stroll by the sea together
    Under stars twinkling high above
    So in love are we two
    No one else but me and you
    So much in love (doo, so in love)
    So much in love (doo, so in love)
    We stroll along together
    I tell you I need you oh so much
    I love, love you my darling
    Can you tell it in my touch?
    When we walk down the aisle together
    We will vow to be together till we die
    So much love have we two
    Just can't wait to say "I do"
    Are you and I (doo, you and I)

Okay, and one more pretty Beatle's Song:

The Beatles - And I love her
    Lennon/McCartney
    Album: A Hard Day's Night
    Year 1964

I give her all my love
    That's all I do
    And if you saw my love
    You'd love her to
    I love her
    She gives my everything
    And tenderly
    The kiss my lover brings
    She brings to me
    And I love her
    A love like ours
    Could never die
    As long as I
    Have you near me
    Bright are the stars that shine
    Dark is the sky
    I know this love of mine
    will never die
    And I love her
    Bright are the stars that shine
    Dark is the sky
    I know this love of mine
    will never die
    And I love her, ooh

See...I told you guys will be relieved to have me shut up!
    Ei

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Merry Christmas Eve-Eve, lol! Just finishing up some baking here. I really went crazy with that this year. I'll take a picture of the spread when I get it all finished for you all to share with me. My mom and dad should be down early this afternoon. Mom's feeling so much better, her last chemo treatment was before Thanksgiving and it's been good to hear her talk about being out shopping and going out and visiting with friends. She's seems back to her old self. She's always loved Christmas and always made it really special for my sisters and I and then the grandkids too.

Ei, I've seen where other's have been getting that security alert, something about GW having to renew a license or something, but I think it's been resolved now?? I don't really know what I'm talking about here...

Chelone, I think Christmas is more low key when there aren't children involved. I know it was a big deal when my kids were little and then not so much the last few years and now it is again with Bella here. Bummer about the cold, hope it goes away quickly! I have that Ella F Christmas cd and like it a lot too.

I got Bella a couple of new cds by Jim Weiss. They're not lullabies, but are made for listening to at bedtime. He talks in a soothing voice about all kinds of things. They're very neat.

Got to run as always :) Have a good one! Eden

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Im finally feeling better. I went to work yesterday, but only because it was absolutely necessary. I prepare the billing files and then transmit them over the internet to a company that prints and mails them and I was already a day late.

Tonight is our Christmas with Ricks kids and grandkids at our house. I think all the gifts are wrapped. Ive prepared my favorite casserole called Tearoom chicken casserole. Theres also pulled beef sandwiches for those who dont care for the wild rice, mushrooms, and water chestnuts that are in the casserole. The rest will be appetizers.

We have no snow, but have had rain and freezing rain. With temps in the 40s the ice is dropping off the trees. A little snow is predicted for Christmas Eve. A very strange December for us, but I dont mind the lack of snow.

The CD that is playing is Vince Gills Breath of Heaven DH got a high def flat panel TV for Christmas. Probably not my top pick, but he doesnt ask for much. It does have great sound and works good for playing music on.

I had to add the Ann Gedes picture as my desktop today it is adorable. How cool Marys DH knows her.

Norma, congratulations on the great grandchild. How many grandchildren do you have? Thanks also for the lovely Christmas hibiscus.

bug, what a great picture of your son. The scenery is lovely, especially with the wildflowers. With all your knitting, Im getting the bug. (Pun intended) I found a cute pattern of a little purse with a little dolly inside. Somehow it makes into a little cradle. I dont know if I remember enough about crocheting to do it or not. Im assuming that it will come back to me.

Eden, the Brad & Bella pictures are adorable. You guys are the most fun grandparents.

Id like to see some pictures of Taryns new house decked out for Christmas.

LOL, I think I missed how Babs went from Martha to Nurse Ratchet.

I know I havent commented on half, but I must get back to work. Guests arrive in less than 4 hours.

I love Christmas being on Monday. It gives the whole weekend before for preparation and celebrating. During the week is so much more hectic.

If I dont get back, I wish you all a wonderful Christmas. Hopefully, you all will get a chance to be with your loved ones.

Michelle

• chelone
    17 years ago

I have completed the wrapping. However uninspired I was by the Christmas purchases, I've outdone myself with inspired wrapping! I used REAL ribbon (wired edges) and added some fake holly, pinecones, little "picks" for wreaths to the bows. The helpmeet came home for lunch today and was startled to see the complete "set up". "Jeez, my presents never look that nice when I wrap them... ". I assured him it was an XX "chromasomal" thing. :) The cats were immediately "on alert" when they spied the packages under the tree; approaching cautiously from behind the furniture. Could be a trap, you know.

I'm sure things are approaching frenzy in homes with "young uns". I remember the anticipation... not being able to sleep, watching the clock, and making a lot of noise in the bathroom before descending into, "Can we get up now?". I think 5 AM was about par for the course, and the 'rents were always great about it; never telling us to go back to bed. I expect lots of "action shots".

I sympathize with you, Sue, with regard to the work front. I love my work and my boss, but at this point in my life, I don't need more chaos. It's "got me thinking", too. Hang in there.

Michelle, I'm afraid it was I who rechristened Babs, Nurse Ratchet. She FINALLY told me about her job ;), and ministering and patching up the kids at school. Whenever I think of "nurses", I think of Nurse Ratchet from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"... (devilish laughter in the background).

I haven't even started an Amaryllis this year. And I just love them. Does anyone here remember the beautiful shot from Cynthia of her sun room with the Amaryllis in it? it was beautiful. I hope she graces us with a visit, too. :(

I haven't cleaned yet, don't feel like it, tomorrow is soon enough. Now it's time for some quality time on the couch ("I, Claudius").

• just_t
    17 years ago

No time to Idyll......I still don't have my tree up and decorated!!!!! Christmas cards? What are they??? I'm in a world of hurt here........caused by lack of energy, lack of motivation and good ole procrastination!!!

Hello to allllllllllllllllllllllllllll...............

On Dasher, on Dancer, on Prancer & Vixen....on Comet, on Cupid, on Donner and Blitzen...........everyone help out this chubby lady get her Christmas ready................. ;o)

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

We really are missing lots of friends here these days! I certainly understand why though. I'm lucky to only need to get things together by the 30th though.

Well tonight the tree is up and decorated. No lights for us, but balls, bells, birds, butterflies and bows. This year we have the Twelve days of Christmas in ornaments too. I'll share some of it to motivate poor T who has been too exhausted to begin. T just remember the gift of time and caring tops all the rest- and you shine in that department!!
    I'll put some pictures on a separate thread.

Goodnight everyone. Sleep in heavenly peace.
    'bug

{{gwi:191094}}

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Merry Christmas Eve Eve! As you know all the decorating has been done here for weeks. My holiday entertaining duties ended with the party last weekend so I've basically been a slug since. My latest project is planning a surprise 60th birthday party for Tom next month. I've reserved a restaurant in a nearby town for Saturday night, January 20th. Now if I can just get the invitations out without detection. T, I didn't do cards this year. I just never got around to it.

Unfortunately we had to go to a funeral today. Tom's boss lost his dad this week. We attended all the festivities from church to graveside service to lunch at a local restaurant. It killed the better part of the day but every so often there are some things you just have to do.

On the way home we stopped at the fish market to get the cocktail shrimp I'm bringing to Christmas dinner. What a freakin' zoo! It took a couple of passes to procure a parking spot. Tom went in and grabbed a number. He had 90 and they were waiting on 12. While he was standing there a guy with a couple of kids asked him what number he had then offered him 42 because the kids took an extra one by mistake. It probably saved us half an hour.

The good news is I was able to use my treadmill this afternoon for the first time in 12 days. At the beginning of the week my heel was in pretty bad shape. I could barely walk wihout a limp. Maybe it was the ibuprofen every 6 hours or the ice after work or the low shoes I wore all week...I don't know. On Wednesday night I had a pedicure and she did her usual foot/ankle massage. The next day the swelling was gone and I could walk normally again. Looks like my annual Christmas Eve walk will be a go tomorrow afternoon.

I got the official date for my Garden Conservancy open day...or at least I thought I did. One of the letters I got says Sunday September 16th and the one that came today says Saturday September 15th. Before I contact GC I'll drop Steve Silk a note and see if he got the same conflicting info since we're both open the same day.

Thanks to all for the work commiserations. I'll deal with it. Years of working in a male dominated environment have thickened my skin. Every so often I just get fed up with the old boys club-especially when people with lesser responsibility and company experience than me become more highly regarded. Patronize me when I make it an issue and I just lose it. My boss knows better.

Anyhoo, it's time for bed. Sweet dreams!

Sue

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Hello Idylls

Love the card GB!

Just popping in on my way to bed. Preparations continue here though things are very relaxed. Tomorrow morning I'm getting up early to do the food shop. However, the fridge is clean and sparkly inside and out so it will be easy to put things away.

I felted the bag I'm knitting for my sister this afternoon and I love the fuzzy feel the matted fibers now have. It's drying over a box to shape the base - DH thought it was a giant tea cozy.

Good night all

Mary

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Mary, maybe you will have time to take a picture of the felted bag to show us later?

Sue good to hear you are back on your foot and can resume your walks.

Ei, I hope the computer issues clear up so you can hang out here. So has the kitchen floor project started yet?
    For those that asked this is our second great grandchild. The first one is eight years old already and came along much sooner than he should have. We have six grandchildren the four oldest being girls and fast becoming adults, the other two are Jake 13 and Wyatt soon to be 4. The new grandbaby will be in Florida so I won't get to see it much. Thank goodness for digital cameras and the internet.

Michelle, I'm glad you are feeling better. Not fun trying to get things done when you don't feel well.

Chelone sorry to hear you have a cold too. Did you get around to decorating the bookcases? Your present wrapping sounds lovely. I can never get inspired to do that.
    I made a bunch of grab bag gifts in brown lunch bags tied shut with bits of colored ribbon. They contain simple things like pencils,candy gum, balloons, playing cards etc. Since Wyatt is getting a Disney bingo game I thought it would be fun for all to play with him and have a chance to win something.

Marian, thinking of you. I know you are probably just lurking for a few days. Hope you are feeling ok.

Eden, I am taking the easy way out with the baked goods this time. Looking forward to seeing pics of yours. I'm glad your mom is feeling good.

T, I finally pulled my little fiberoptic tree out of the box day before yesterday. I was in no mood to do it either but it does look a bit more seasonal now. Cards I don't do either.

Ok I should be in bed. We were out for a while tonight. And I didn't sleep at all well last night. Instead of one hurting hip I had two and could not find a comfortable way to sleep. Wound up in the recliner at 1:30 am.
    So Merry Christmas eve eve to all and to all a goodnight.
    Norma

• chelone
    17 years ago

T., I didn't send any Christmas cards, either. It's one more detail that always seems to slip by undetected. I sympathize with no energy/desire to get decorating. I had ZERO when I started (one more chore, you know), but the helpmeet works for a gardencenter and the "brush" for the windowboxes is free, as is the tree. I had to do SOMETHING with both when they arrived home one evening. It really nudged me outta my seasonal doldrums. I think the expectations that surround Christmastime can often overwhelm people; you do whatever feels right for you. :)

No, Norma, I haven't decorated the bookcases yet. I have the oasis down, though! I didn't feel like scouring the attic for a vessel of suitable scale... but it might be fun to do a couple of arrangements for tabletops and Mum's room today. I love the idea of the grab-bag prizes; wonderfully inventive and something that will add extra excitement to Disneyland bingo. :)

Another vote for a shot of the felted bag, Mary. My boss made me a lovely felted hat a couple of years ago (looks like a 1920s "cloche") that I just love. It's warm as toast and really good looking. Last year she felted some mittens for me... perfect for cleaning the snow off the car!

Fond greetings to all our missing friends (didn't they refer to that as being "cloaked" in Star Trek?); perhaps they will pop in, one by one in the coming days. It's hard to stay tuned in when things move quickly in our daily lives.

I should make the best of the time before Mum awakens and I have to change her urostomy, get her into the tub, and help her select her clothes, prepare her breakfast, etc. . It's either do the urostomy/bathing today or tomorrow... :( .

Sue, I'm completely with you on being "patronized" when I speak up about what's bothering me! It DOESN'T help. ;)

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Angels we have heard on High,
    Sweetly singing o'r the Plains
    and the Mountains in reply
    Echo back their Joyous strains.
    GLORIA!!!!!

{{gwi:191096}}

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

T, I emailed about 3 Christmas notes and mailed one card to someone without email. That's all the time there was! Maybe valentines will get sent instead this year?

Sue, I'm very jealous of your healed foot. I'm still limping. All that work in weeks past sure allowed you to enjoy the Christmas festivities now. Great! As for Tom's party, you should be able to pay senior's prices for it this time. ;-)

Mary, I'm hoping for that photo of the tea cozy too! (AS WELL AS ANY OTHERS YOU SLIP IN!)

Michelle, happy that you have stitchery on your mind these days too. And Norma, you seem to be in full swing with grandchildren and GGrandchildren too! I guess I'll get used to it over time, but no less delighted!

Deanne has no doubt decorated the humongous tree with zillions of tiny perfect ornaments, shopped and wrapped dozens of thoughtful gifts beautifully, prepared a spectacular meal and set a gorgeous table, gone to the gym daily and now feels she hasn't done enough. Does this picture fit? Deanne, I hope you are feeling OK with your rotten cold and are stopping to smell the Christmas roses! I hope your lovely daughter is helping and that she has a plan for the new year too.

I imagine Taryn has tired herself out with decorating and planning for Christmas joy for her boys and extended family. Hope things are going well there too.

Eden, your daily goings-on are enchanting! I get a real sense of family life as it should be from your postings. There's something quite magical about your house and home and I look forward to all your contributions here. It's not just that you are lucky either, you help make it all come together. A+ from this admirer!

Chere Chelone, big hugs to you at this special time, and warm thoughts to you for 2007! (((hugs)))!

Cynthia, a toast to you and the fuzzy ones!
    Da, joyous holidays to you and your family also.
    V, Drema, Babs, Honey, Ruth, Marian, David, Kathy and other dear friends, ENJOY!

I hope Ei is not installing the kitchen floor today and tomorrow! To you Ei and all other idylls, pause a moment and reflect on the wonder of it all!

Fondly,
    'bug

• martieinct
    17 years ago

Greetings to one and all. Christmas preps are done but if you asked me how I wouldn't have a clue. LOL We managed gifts for everyone in the family and some not, cards are out, house is bedecked, tree is decorated, gifts wrapped, dinner planned and purchased, Kyle home, plans made to see everyone we want to see at some point and still have a few hours to just relax in the feeling. Tree pic will be coming.

I'm all for real ribbon and am first in line when the 75% sales come up. It's amazing what a pretty bow can do for a lowly gift.

Fav given gift this year was a donation to an international childrens' charity in honor of neighborhood kids: Fruit trees for a family in Honduras. They were all told of this gift last night and thought it was "way cool" and could they communicate with the family that gets the trees? My parents are major donators to the organization so if the family is literate (Not tongue in cheek, here) I'll see what we can do.

Ky surprised us by telling us that he still hasn't made up his mind about where he'll be next year -- as in, which country. He now has a third option; a different university in England close to London is offering him a full year at a very reduced rate, and will allow him to take Master's courses in addition to what he needs to finish his BA. We may be spending the holidays in Paris next year!!! I think that would be the neatest thing ....

I've had so much fun living vicariously through those of you with munchkins in the house and in your lives. Love those booties!!

Sue -- as another female who "grew up" in the world of business according to men, I know exactly what you're up against. I agree with everyone!! There's too many opportunities out there for good people for you to feel anything less than valued.

My Christmas Wish for everyone is Peace in your hearts, minds, families and lives.

"See" you all in a few days.

Martie

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Good morning and Merry Christmas to all! The sun is shining brightly this morning; we had a heavy frost that really sparkled earlier. (and the frost sent an overly eager lab flying when the door was opened!)

It's quiet here right now. The kids are still asleep and the dogs are back to snoozing. We had friends over for dinner last night, but the last load of dishes is running in the dishwasher and the table linens are in the washer. A little later this morning I'll make one last run into town, and then we will start our celebrations. Late afternoon church service today, then over to DH's brother's house for a soup dinner. Tomorrow, we will have his mom, her husband and his brother and sister for a light breakfast then we go to her house later in the day for the festive dinner. It should be a lovely time with family.

I'm looking forward to a little quiet time over the next week. We aren't too scheduled for that time, so it should come to pass!

I'm fighting with Amazon over the status of a package. I placed the order on December 10th, and it was to be delivered by 12/21. The first response I received asked me to wait until the close of business today for the package to show up. Since the shipper is not showing that they ever received the package, I think that's highly unlikely. I've requested a better answer - we shall see what happens. At least DD is old enough to understand a lost package.

Oops - dishwasher is done so I'm going to unload it, then get ready to go into town. I hope you all enjoy your holiday and that all my idyll friends find some peace in this season.

V.

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

{{gwi:191098}}

Norma, the grab bags sound like lots of fun. Sometimes people get the most excited over the little things.

The "real" ribbon bow that I incorporated cash into this year for one DIL was the most talked about last night.

I'm not exactly sure what "felting" is but I would love to see a picture. My mom knitted me a bag a couple of years ago of wool that was very big and then she washed it and it shrunk. Is that what Mary is doing?

Christmas cards go out to just a few. My aunts and uncles who are elderly and I am sure they enjoy getting mail and a few distant friends.

Michelle

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone!!! Thinking of you all. Please click on the link below for a cute short movie.

This morning's story: We have a great local market in town known for their customer service. Well, they proved it to me once again. DH just got back from picking up the spiral sliced ham I'd pre-ordered. When DH got to the deli counter, he asked for a large butt-end half ham. When the woman asked him if the weight was OK, he shrugged his shoulders. So she said, "Let me see the list". Whereupon she verified he had what he was sent for. Once again, my market wins the prize for customer service!!!

Everything is on schedule here and family should start to arrive momentarily. This year, we're having my specialty -- the best of carry-out! There will be a spiral sliced ham, side dishes by moi: salad w/raspberry vinegrette, escalloped potatoes, green beans w/onions and cashews; and for dessert carmel apple bread pudding and lemon merangue pie from a local cafe.

Bullet will probably take to the hills and hide as soon as my GN arrives.

I'll catch up here later. Neighbors just stopped by.

Thinking of all and wishing you and your families the best holiday ever filled with the love and joy of family and dear friends.

Honey

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Happy Eve of Christmas

Great so see everyone checking in when they can.

Here is the felted bag, completed in the nick of time. The colors are rather off I'm afraid and I couldn't get the texture to show the way I'd hoped. Michelle - that is exactly what you do - knit a large size, then felt several times by washing inside a pillowcase in the machine. The straps are knitted I-cord (GB will know what that is). I hope Ruth likes it.

{{gwi:191099}}

With the exception of this bag all of the presents under the tree are for the children. We decided to do bought gifts for the kids only. I'm so excited about seeing Annie and David open their presents as this year I think Santa has hit it on the nose. David has an eletronic chess clock he has been longing for and Annie her dream gift - her very own cell phone (what more could a teenager ask for?) Annie's present was actually more of a savings than a big expenditure - DH was redoing his phone plan and got an extra phone and service for less than he was paying before. Annie will be over the moon as my stance on children's cell phones had been adamantly "no". However, she has begun pet sitting and babysitting on her own, and being able to reach us wherever she is will give me peace of mind. I'm already imagining how much fun she will have programming the ring tunes and using the built in camera.

The stockings were even more fun to do - little gifts that can be opened as early as Annie and David like. They include bottles of hot sauce for Annie (Queen of the hot peppers) and an ice cream scoop with a pig handle for David (who loves pigs), various fun candies, much needed gloves and toiletries.

More pictures will follow but the sun has come out and we are heading out with Clousseau for a family walk.

Mary

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Mary, I'm sure she will love the bag, I know I would.
    Annie will surely be surprised with the phone if you have been saying "no way". I agree they can give parents a little peace of mind. David will love his clock too. LOL the piggy ice cream scoop. I can see his smile now.

Michelle I love your snowy picture. I'm glad we don't have any though.

Marie I meant to say how much I like your card with the clematis seeds. The color of the border really sets the picture off.

Hi Honey and V, glad you checked in.

Martie, what a nice way you always include the neighborhood kids and the gift of trees is neat.
    Like your angel pic too.

Ok, I have had my little break now after cleaning the house. Time to go do a few things in the kitchen. We will have our family get together tomorrow afternoon so I have a little time yet. If I don't get back for a day or two.
    Have a good one. Norma

• taryn
    17 years ago

Merry Christmas Idylls!

• Jerri_OKC
    17 years ago

Merry Christmas all.
    I hesitate to post this but I sure can't sleep and I know you will all understand.
    My Mother passed away at 8:00 P.M. tonight. I feel we lost her several years ago to a horrible disease call Alzheimer's.
    She died at home fairly comfortably on the sofa. She sat up, with help, and said she didn't feel very well. She petted the little dog she loved so dearly, told him what a good boy he was, sighed, and passed away. I can't think of a better way for her to go at this point. I will miss her terribly , she was a remarkable woman.
    She will have a very Merry Christmas indead. She will be whole again.

Jerri

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

{{gwi:191100}}

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Jerri...my deepest sympathies. I didn't see your post until I had already posted my goodnight wishes to all. I know there is comfort in knowing your mother is finally at peace, but I also know how much you must be hurting right now too. I'm so sorry! These are those times when you really wish you could reach out in cyberspace or transport yourself to those who you know could use a hug and some comfort. I don't know what else to say...Sometimes I struggle witht the words, but I hope you can feel me beside you in spirit....

Ei

P.S. Taryn!!! It ia *so* good to see you! I've missed you and have been thinking of you muchly!!!

• chelone
    17 years ago

Oh Jerri, I've just sat down with my coffee to one of my favorite morning activities only to learn of your loss. I am so sorry, and send you my heartfelt sympathies. I don't think there is anything harder than watching someone you love evaporate before your eyes. You watch as the little "family" jokes/mementos/anecdotes are gradually forgotten. You see the familiar face, but the old light in the eyes is dimmer. But aren't you so fortunate that she died at home, with her dog at her side and her family around her? What a fortunate woman she is! So, now it's for you to be sad, cry, wonder about all the things you do when someone you love departs this world.

Maybe, when you're feeling less overwhelmed you might share some of what made your mother so remarkable...

(((hug)))

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Merry Christmas to all, and to Jerry a big hug. So very sorry about your mum. Although you've missed her for a while, it's still much too hard to let go. I thought of my mum nearly every day for 10 years, and still can't believe she's been gone for nearly 20 years and that I'm almost her age! (She died young.) I'm so very sorry and will be thinking of you today.

I sat down for a quick hello, and have been sitting here reading now for almost an hour! No travel for me this holiday, and need only to pull out the new stuffies for the dogs and catnip for the fluffy ones. I do need to decide what snacks to serve with wine & champagne for the few drop-ins I'm expecting. A quick vacuum would be a good idea too I suppose.... Best to all! Cynthia

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Love the opening photo! A perfect start to a Happy Holiday Idyll.

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Merry Christmas Idylls! I just have a couple of minutes and wanted to share a few pictures from last night.

Jerri, I just read your post and I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts will be with you today.

HI Taryn!

For Deanne, here's some of the holiday treats I've been making

{{gwi:191101}}

Bella opening gifts

{{gwi:191102}}

Jenni and boyfriend

{{gwi:191103}}

Bella and my mom

{{gwi:191104}}

We have more festivities this afternoon with my sisters but for now I'm going to have a mimosa and make Christmas breakfast for Brad and Dave.

Eden

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Cynthia, Merry Christmas to you too! How great to have you drop in! Maybe post a picture later of the "kids" playing with their new Christmas toys?

Eden

• deanneart
    17 years ago

{{gwi:191105}}

Merry Christmas and all best wishes to all our Idyll friends and families.

Jerri, I'm so terribly sorry for your loss. She is at peace. Big hugs from me to you.

Cynthia, it's so lovely to hear from you! Now if we could get some Greyhound and kitty Christmas pics it would be perfect. LOL

Eden, thanks for the holiday treats! and the best treat is seeing your lovely family.

Off for a Christmas morning walk with Doug then off to his DS's for dinner. Have a great day everyone.
    Deanne

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    17 years ago

Merry Christmas to all of you!

{{gwi:191106}}

(((Jerri))) sad event to mark Christmas but very touching too. Did you get your love for dogs from your mother?

Nice to see you Cynthia!

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Having a 2 year old around for Christmas sure makes things exciting! She loves candy and it was hard to keep her out of it. She got a oak doll cradle from my parents. The first thing she did was take the blanket and pillow out and sit in it and rock herself. She would like to wish all the Idylls a "Merry Missmas" :o)

I forgot my camera at my parents house. I'll have to post some pictures later.

Jerri, I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother. How great that she didn't have to be in a nursing home.

Cynthia, great to hear from you.

Deanne, I love the Christmas card. The cardinal is just perfect in the wreath.

Eden, your cookies look delicous and the silver trays are a nice touch. It looks like Bella is enjoying Christmas and it is so great so see your mom doing well. Jennie and BF make a handsome couple.

Norma, no snow here either. That is our grove last winter.

Mary, your sister will love the bag. Mine is black with a purple stripe and some purple beads. It is very special to me.

Enjoy!
    Michelle

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Merry today!

I'm so sorry to hear your news Jerri, but I do agree that it was a wonderful way to go. Do answer Chelone's request and tell us a bit about this lovely woman called "Mom".

Eden, once again you have shared wonderful photos. I can't believe how Jenni resembles you!!!! Remarkable! And your super Mom in her Merry Christmas top! But all those goodies...I'll try not to look!

Misty, Taryn, Deanne....fun to hear from you all.

And now to rouse the sleepy troops here. We were up late last night chatting with DS and sharing his photos from a November trip in Eastern Europe. We have quite a few things to accomplish before his sister arrives with her family on Friday. It certainly is exciting with a seven year old to anticipate.

More recent excitement? Something dead in a wall in one half of the house ! VILE smell! Also, 50F in the house and going downward. Furnace, what are you up to?????

HO-HO-HO!
    'bug

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

{{gwi:191107}}

Time is short this morning but I wanted to pop in and wish you all a peaceful holiday.

Jerri, so very sorry about your mom. You are the third person I know who has lost a parent in the past couple of days. One of them told me it was his mother's way of making sure the whole family got together for the holidays. When I see so many friends and contemporaries struggling with aging parent issues, I can only hope that mine will also go suddenly and at home. Many hugs to you today.

Sue

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Christmas Greetings

Jerri - you shared beautifully something so sad yet so special. Many thoughts to you this Christmas day and a very big (((((hug)))).

Happy Christmas to one and all!

With no company today (Ruth and little ones arrive tomorrow) we've had a lazy morning, but lovely just the same, opening presents in our jammies (PJ's). The best gift was seeing how much pleasure the presents brought to Annie and David. I've smoked a turkey breast for lunch and will do the festive trimmings, then we are heading to a friends house for an afternoon of family games.

It's wonderful to hear from Taryn, Cynthia and our regular posters. Eden - the cookies are fantastic and your Mum looks amazing. I'm glad Misty is ahving a fun holiday too!

Deanne - once again your artistry comes out in your gorgeous card.

Ei - yours is beautiful too!

GB - stay warm!!

best wishes Idyll friends,

Mary

• just_t
    17 years ago

Merry Christmas!!!

Jerri many hugs to you on the passing of your mother.

It is lovely to 'see' so many notes, to have Cynthia, Taryn and Deanne posting......a wonderful Christmas gift!

I'm running around fast this morning as it is a busy day for our family. Hopefully I'll get some photos to share later.

My very best to all of you!!

T.

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Merry, Merry Christmas Idylls and good wishes to all..
    Jeri, hugs to you , and peaceful sleep to your Mom.

I am just dropping in as I still have my house full , and am enjoying mimosas and we'll be having burritos for breakfast shortly. Hope you all enjoy your day !

Kathy in the Napa Valley

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!