Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jameya

questions about cannas and peonies...

jameya
10 years ago

I was at a garage sale fall of last year, and a lady had these roots/ bulbs she was selling, so I grabbed 4 of them. She told me just to keep them in my basement over winter and just flip them over every so often. So I have. She didn't tell me anything more about them other then I should cut them down in the fall. So I got home and started reading about them. When should I plant them in zone 5?? And from what I am reading about them is since winter is cold and snowy here, I will need to pull them out of the ground every year and store them...is this true, or is this something I can just leave in the ground all year?? And when should I plant them in a bed??

Also I was in walmart a couple weeks ago and on the main isle, they had bags of roots for sale and I bought 3 bags of peony roots. I have read again online that the usual time to plant them is in the fall, so what would be the best thing to do for these?? Can I pot them up in a large pot and leave them in it over summer and then plant them into the ground in fall, or should I just wait and keep them in my basement and put them straight into the ground this fall, or should I just throw them into the ground in the spring soon??
I got 3 primrose plants at krogers this week, can I put them into a flower bed, or are those mostly container flowers? They look like they are going to stay tiny, so I am thinking about putting them in the front of a flower bed because I am hoping in a few years, I will be able to have a full looking bed instead. Of just random plants here and there.
I love looking at pictures of peoples beds on here and LOVE the full layered look of all kinds of different flowers but the full looking layered look. How do you even begain to get something like that?? My approach has been random plants I have came across and just threw them in the bed kind of willy nilly and I don't have that many plants. I know it will take a few years to eventually get something like this established, but any thoughts or ideas on how to go about it would be great. I have no clue as to what I am doing, and have already killed 5 mums and a few other plants in only a year, so I am trying to ask questions, learn, and experiment along the way!!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus