{{gwi:192276}}
{{gwi:192278}}{{gwi:192280}}
{{gwi:192281}}
{{gwi:192282}}{{gwi:192283}}
{{gwi:192284}}

Comments (49)

• gardenbug
    19 years ago

YES! A wonderful year David! The garden is full of lushness and colour and everything is fantastic. The gentian near the sedum is a great combination! Gaura in the gravel garden beautiful. Crown of Rays impressive. The grasses are beginning here too and although I love it all, I sense the melancholy of Fall already. At least there is more to come: a few clematis, the anemones, Solidago fireworks, asters and Solidaster...still things to look forward to!

• Full_Bloom
    19 years ago

Beautiful pics David, as always. Was surpised by and really enjoyed that gentle understated pic with the phlox and catmint? Love the soft echo. Which phlox is that? And if that is a catmint, which one is it? BTW I finally bought 'Walker's Low' to put in front of my 'Carefree Delight' roses after reading all your praises on Walker's Low.
    In pic #8, is that Patrina with the golden glow? and in pic #6 (I think) is that Solidaster or a low growing Solidago? Or something else completely?
    Thanks! Eileen

• david_5311
    Original Author
    19 years ago

That pale pink catmint is Dawn to Dusk. I have really come to love it. It should be subtitled "May to October", though that would describe other catmints too. It is paired with phlox Franz Schubert (I think, correct me if I am wrong folks).

That is indeed Patrinia, with Aster Lady in Black foliage in front, also Geranium wlassovianum just coming into bloom. I also have a purple berried callicarpa in there. I think that combo should really start to sing in the next couple of weeks. I have really come to love Patrinia, it is a fabulous perennial in its own right and adds an incredible texture and form.

That yellow, Eileen, is Solidago Crown of Rays. Low growing with tight beautiful form, flat inflorescences, a bit slow to establish. Solidaster is just starting now, a much softer sulphur yellow. I love both.

• Full_Bloom
    19 years ago

Thanks David! I think I will have to steal your catmint/phlox combination (hope you don't mind). Just have to figure out where to put it! :-)
    Love that Solidago! I'm so use to those tall (really aggressive in my garden) types. I sadly had to give all of them up - I just don't have the space, but I *love* your Crown of Rays and my interest was really peaked when you said "slow to establish". Does that mean that it is less aggressive than the others? I really like Solidaster 'Lemoine', but thought that if your bright yellow was a solidaster too - I'd have to get it! :-)
    Thanks again David for being so generous and sharing all your experience and beautiful pics! Eileen

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    19 years ago

David, I love the combo of Agastache 'Blue Fortune' with the variegated Miscanthus. I've been focusing more on shrubs for my "reclamation" area but perhaps a big clump of Miscanthus is just what I need. My Patrinia is also starting to make a statement and looks nice with Alstromeria 'Sweet Laura'.

I was so disappointed when the Sourwood you brought me last fall withered away a few weeks ago. Until my new beds are ready I won't get another one, but I definitely want one somewhere in the garden.

Even though that Nepeta is *pink*, it may also find a spot in one of my new beds. For years I've been eyeing it in the nursery but never had the sun space it needs in the garden.

Great shots as usual and so cool to be able to look at them and remember what the whole garden looks like in person.

Sue

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Beautiful David! Now that I see more photos and thinking that you have to move I'm overcome by sadness and empathy. I'm thinking of changing my vote to "DIG AND MOVE IT" on the Selling My Garden thread. It's just so impressive, enjoy it every moment you can.

In photo one are those purple/blue pointy things behind Echinacea indeed Agastache Blue Fortune? I just got three from Bluestone and would like to know what to expect. Do you think they'd make a good cutting flower or meant more to stay in the garden?
    Lovely, lovely photos.
    Poochella

• david_5311
    Original Author
    19 years ago

That is indeed Blue Fortune, Sue had it right. It has come into bloom fully in the past week or so. I think it is a great plant, blooms for a very long time in late summer. I think it could be a cut flower, combined with lilies or roses or some larger flowers, would add a nice spikey effect. But it is so valuble in the garden as an anchor plant, a foil, that I would be hesitant to cut it myself, except for maybe a few spikes that were flopping a bit. It mostly does stand straight and tall. Perfect complement to any late summer plant.

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Thanks much.
    Mine are just starting to show blue buds. I will eagerly await the blossoms and decide about cutting later.
    Poochella

• Blue_Bird
    19 years ago

Lovely. In the sixth photo, what is the plant with the purple bloom above the coneflower and is that an elder below the coneflower in lime green foliage?

• david_5311
    Original Author
    19 years ago

That mauve-purple flower behind the coneflower is a monarda. Unfortunately I have forgotten the cultivar. Not excessively aggressive, and no mildew whatsoever. A good one, therefore, and also blooms later than the crowd of monardas.

If you are talking about the same photo (the 6th, right?), the only plant I can think you might be talking about is the yellow in the foreground, right? That is the low growing goldenrod, Solidago 'Crown of Rays', and those are flowers (inflorescences), not foliage.

• wildflower59
    19 years ago

David,

I have been waiting for you to post!! Thanks ..by the way, your monarda maybe blue stocking or prairie night..not much different in either..looks alike like my prairie night. Also, your phlox, looks just like mine when it starts but mine tends to turn a real soft lilac..and it was labeled Natasha. I wonder if mine is a miss marked. Beautiful pictures and I so look forward to seeing your combinations.

Thanks again
    Wildflower

• david_5311
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You know, wildflower, I bet you are right, and that is Blue Stocking. I got it from a nursery called Blue Meadow Farm in MA, quite a few years ago. Sadly they no longer do mail order, but I am almost certain I recall one of several monardas I got from them was Blue Stocking. I do believe the phlox is Franz Schubert though. I have it in multiple locations, and I know that was one I bought before. I never remember Natasha as being one I bought.

• denisez10
    19 years ago

Stunning. Is the last photo Crambe maritima, in what must be the new gravel garden, right? Wasn't it the English gardener and artist Derek Jarman (sp?) that grew masses of this crambe? An old favorite to grow again.
    David, your garden will rock wherever you plant it, old, new -- whatever. You've got the gift. It's a treat to see these prairie plants grown in such large masses, such grand, sweeping gestures. This is a sight not seen in zone 10! Thanks for posting.

• david_5311
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Denise. That is indeed Crambe maritima. I have come to really, really like that plant, in bloom or not. The foliage is so gorgeous, and it has remained perfect throughout the season. Seems so happy in that gravel garden without water. I am anxiously waiting to see how hardy it is. BTW, thanks for giving me the "Digging Dog" connection. I found a bunch of new cool catmints from them, as well as other plants. But too bad it is not warm enough for Salvia mexicana here -- I got that from them last year and it grew huge, only to get frosted out before it ever bloomed.....

• mstargardener1
    19 years ago

Dearest David, Could we PLEASE get a complete plant list from your garden? HA HA !!! Kidding but, really not. It is to die for. You combine plant material very well. Everything flows with a good sense of color and scale. For some this takes years and others it just comes naturally. You maybe answered this question before but, how many years have you been at this, how old is your garden and who inspired or inspires you? Has your garden been on any of your areas local tours? I try to keep all plant tags and or a list so when ask to ID If I don't know right off the top of my head I can get it with a little research. Do you keep a list, journal or is it all by sight? Anyway your garden is just lovely and I have yet to see one of your photos I didn't like. Keep up the good work!!!
    MG

• david_5311
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have been gardening here for 17 years, though in fact most of these pictures are from my big front border which has largely been planted and assumed its current form in the past 5 years. In fact, the outer parts of this border were planted a year ago this spring. With good soil and good culture (you know, the $5 hole, $1 plant approach, though in fact I never prepare "holes", but rather whole beds), it really does NOT take long to get a mature planting. I never plan anything on paper, and I only sort of plan some general combinations and vignettes. Mostly I just plant -- in this area in masses. Many of the plants started from 2" Bluestone pots (I could advertise for them, I think), and others from divisions of mature plants I had elsewhere in the garden. Lists?? Journals?? Not hardly. I am a dissheveled, disorganized kind of gardener. People often say to me that they wish all the plants had labels, but I am not the "labelling" type. I know the names of the plants I care about, but many fancy foliage, named variety plants I buy just because I like their looks, and never bother to learn the cultivar names. And most labels would be buried under 6' of plant growth. I definitely belong to the 'no-bare-soil' school of gardening, except in my gravel garden where bare gravel is part of the look.

• mstargardener1
    19 years ago

David, Glad to know you are not the organized have everything done type. I garden in very much the same way you do. Spend alot of time preparing and caring for my soil. If it don't behave well I will try and fix it. I also buy what catches my eye and don't really have a plan. I do know what I like and don't like for the most part. And like you I could be an advertisement for the places I visit often. I spend much of my free time in the garden and I find it most rewarding. My inlaws and co-workers can't imagine what I must be have to do all the time or why I would want to create so much work. I live for it, it keeps me fit, my mind active and gives me a sense of well being. I have three young but grown children who also have an appreciation for the garden and will often help me out. My oldest who has his own home now takes pride in his garden. I guess they have benefitted from getting thier hands dirty.
    I would like to have a few more clematis for next year and am in the process of preparing a large new bed for mostly large plantings. Already looking forward to spring!
    Thanks for posting your beautiful pictures they keep us all inspired and we look forward to future photos.
    MG

• madsud
    19 years ago

David,

I check this site daily, like an addict for more pictures from your garden. How do you achieve the "no soil look"? This is my dream. I think I am following directions about how close to plant things to each other and I try and plan for correct scale (although I have a tough time with that - and you seem to be an expert), but yet I NEVER achieve a look even close to one of your beautiful pictures. I am literally sick over it - and have become more obsessed than ever - often moving plants more than one time to try and achieve a better look. Maybe gardening is like dressing yourself - and in that case that would explain a lot of my problems - can't seem to match up the perfect "outfit". Are you a sharp dresser - just out of curiousity.... and can you please offer SOME advice or tips for this frustrated gardener??

• david_5311
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I think not having bare soil comes from three things -- reasonably close planting, using plants that are large in scale liberally, and starting with really good, well prepped soil. I think it is the latter consideration where most gardeners fall down -- they don't realize that most of the expense and effort in making a finished, planted bed is in making the bed, not buying and planting the plants. At least that is the approach I have taken. I actually do think that having raised beds on top of clay is also very helpful in getting substantial plant growth. The plants grow down into the clay, which retains moisture and nutrients, but their crowns are in good loose topsoil. We have had lots of rain this year, and it has made me again realize that, in my climate anyway, plants nearly always just want more water. That can be a problem, of course, if drainage is an issue. And the east coast in general is wetter than the midwest. We usually get about 30 inches annual precipitation here, rather than 40 for NY for example. So supplemental watering is important too. It will be interesting for me to see how my gardening life will change in my new place, where the soil is very sandy, no clay at all.

• mstargardener1
    19 years ago

David have I missed something, are you re-locating?
    MG

• david_5311
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yep, building a new house on a six acre site in the country near where I live. Two acres of sun, 4 acres of old growth woods. Soil varies from sandy loam to pure beach sand to rich black mucks in some wetlands. It will be heaven, though starting from the ground floor.

And I do sometimes wonder if I really have the energy for this. I don't haul 200 lb. wheelbarrows of wet soil around with the 'verve' that I used to. A tractor is in my future...

• sharons2
    19 years ago

David,

What "large scale plants" do you use? After planting Shasta Daisies, Dame's Rocket, and Delphiniums, I'm afraid to try anything very tall because I figure they'll flop everywhere!

Thanks,
    Sharon

• david_5311
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh, there are lots. And I am not a fan of staking, I do very little, so most plants stand up fairly well or flopping is tolerated. The large plant backbone here is mainly mid and late summer bloomers, with the exception of Persicaria polymorpha. Look at my post on the link below for a partial list. Many are shown in the pictures above too

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite late summer perennials

• blackie57
    19 years ago

david, I always love looking at your photos. Your gardens are magnificent. I was wondering about the Miscanthus in the first photo. Is that a "Cabaret" or "Varigatus" ? I just planted a Varigatus this year in my grass bed and was wondering just how tall it might get when it matures. right now its about 4+ feet. Thanks and I can't wait to watch the progress of your new place.

By the way, next spring I'm going to try my hand at my first Clematis. I may be picking your brain on how to care for it. Right now I have a climbing Hydrangiea on a trellis at my home but after 6 years and very limited growth, no blooms, I'm giving it to someone with more patients than I ;)

blackie

• Cwant
    19 years ago

I am in awe and agog. I stumbled into the Gallery section looking for a winter sowing forum (didn't find it). Went into perennials instead. This was the first post I opened. I was blown away by the beautiful combinations that you have put together...and promptly decided to quit gardening. Then you mentioned that you had been gardening for 17 yrs. That has extended a ray of hope and I have decided it is too early for me to throw in the towel (foundering after 3 yrs). Now I am amusing myself with the mental picture of standing in my dreary, uninspired garden 17 yrs from now going, "Drat!!! It was TALENT all along NOT time."

Thanks for posting. I am now off to find any and all bits of wisdom you may have dropped at GW by searching your name.

• david_5311
    Original Author
    19 years ago

That plant is Miscanthus Cabaret. Much taller, more upright, and showier than variegatus. I have seen variegatus really open up and flop, but this one stands up pretty straight. Gets taller too, in bloom in October and November at 7'.

• sharons2
    19 years ago

(Sigh.) I wish M. Cabaret would grow in zone 3-4.

Since the "Favorite late summer perennials" thread has scrolled off into the ether, I thought I'd include your list of backbone plants here:

Sharon

--------

>Posted by: david_5311 Z 5b/6a SE Mich (My Page) on Mon, Jul 26, 04 at 19:21

There are so many plants which star in August, and the transition to fall. The best of many:

Helianthus 'Lemon Queen' (probably THE very best)
    Eupatorium purpureum
    E. perfoliatum
    Agastaches of all kinds, just coming to peak now
    A. Blue Fortune specifically deserves mention since it is such a garden stalwart
    Phlox paniculata in any of dozens of varieties. David, the best
    All catmints are going great now
    Geranium Rozanne, which has been blooming for a while but notably picks up in August
    G. wlassovianum
    Solidago Crown of Rays
    Patrinia scabiosifolia, fabulous now and for at least a month
    Clematis 'Mrs Robt Brydon'
    Echinacea purpurea
    Coreopsis Moonbeam, Zagreb
    Knautia macedonica, blooming for months, still looks great
    Heleniums of every ilk, just starting
    Lobelia syphillitica
    Sedum Matrona
    S. Purple emporer
    S. Stardust
    Reblooming roses, favorites now are Guy de Maupassant, Rotesmeer, Jens Munk, Winchester Cathedral, Mary Rose, Tamora
    Hydrangea paniculata Limelight, Brussels Lace
    Solidaster Lemore
    Alstromeria 'Sweet Laura'
    Caryopteris of many ilk, my favorite the herbaceous C. divaricata, just beginning
    The Persicarias, how could I forget them. Starring now is 'Firetail'
    A small tree, Oxydendrum arboreum, our native sourwood.

• threedogsmom
    19 years ago

David,

I read that you are moving and starting anew. I am also going to be doing that, but in Gettysburg PA. I will be ready to start landscaping in fall this year, and was hoping you could give me some idea of how you will tackle a blank canvas. For instance, will you plan out where you want beds and their sizes, then amend those areas of soil ? We will be clearing out alot of underbrush to end up with a long rectangle 1.33 acre lot, but leaving the mature trees. I hope to have more sun at this place, but what should I be amending the soil with before I plant ? The soil is the typical red clay indigenous to the mid-atlantic, but I am hoping since this land was never built on, there will be a higher conc. of organic matter already on the ground. Please just give me a general to-do list you usually follow when starting from scratch ! I would be so grateful... I LOVE the look of your borders and would like to get an idea of how you achieve that look. Are you a person who plants in 3's, in repeating drifts, for continuity ? Any hints on replicating the "look" would be great !! Thanks so much, you are an inspiration to all of us !
    PS - I hope a serious gardener buys your home ! Will you be taking any plants with you ?

Amy Smith

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    18 years ago

I had to bump this, it was getting dangerously close to the bottom... Love David's pics!

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

David,
    How is the garden at your new place coming along?

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Kicking this one up too as it's about to fall off the board for good.

Sue

• gardenbug
    18 years ago

It was early October when you visited here several years ago. The garden was beyond anything to talk about, but playing with Charlotte, a trip to Lost Horizons, and seeing the Elora gorge are a fond memory. We'll do it again I hope.

• catkin
    17 years ago

bump

• jxa44
    17 years ago

love these pix and the discussion that follows.

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

Thanks for bumping the thread up-I could look at these photos over and over.

• david_5311
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Monique! I forgot these pictures were here but still get emails when people post on them. It's funny, I drove by my old garden yesterday for the first time this fall. Most of the big bed in the first picture is now empty of plants -- not just cut down, but cleared out. The new owners have removed a lot of the perennials, though they kept most of the woody plants and the larger shrub roses. I am not sure what they are going to do with the large bare area, though they have put in some lawn in other areas and I suspect that more will be turned into lawn. They seem to want a "tidy, more spare" look.

Just goes to show that residential gardens, including those we pour our hearts and souls into, are largely transient in nature. Maybe having one devoted more to woody plants is less so, but even then the whole is impermanent in most circumstances.

• have-dirt-will-plant
    16 years ago

bump, coz this is beautiful

• flowerluvr
    16 years ago

It makes me grin every time this post gets bumped up. David, I don't care how many times I look at 'em, they're just stunning pics! I sure hope the new owners at least found loving homes for all those plants.
    Brenda

• shadygrove
    16 years ago

And how do we get David to post some more recent pictures from this summer at the new house? David, you listening?

• msmisk
    16 years ago

Wow.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    16 years ago

This post has been up a long time...I hope it stays up twice as long! The pictures are so inspirational, I cant get enough of them. Thank you David.
    CMK

• jxa44
    15 years ago

bump!

• david_5311
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, how funny, I got a copy of this "bump" since they used to send them to my email. Amazing to look back at these pictures again -- even though I took them, have not looked at many of them for a long time. That garden is but a memory now. Most of it was removed or hacked down or not maintained by the current owners who replaced the back garden with a basketball court. The shrubs were pruned into flat topped muffins -- not just the yews but the viburnums, everything. Probably no more than 10% of the plants that were in that garden are there now. My current garden has a lot of the overflowing ebullience of this one but less "polish", a function of the fact that is newer (so has been "edited" a lot less), has more weeds, and reflects what for me has probably been a somewhat waning interest in gardening in general. Plus a summer of an injured elbow and so limited ability to work in the garden. Having said that, lots of good stuff too, so I will try to post some pics. David

• jxa44
    15 years ago

sending you healing thoughts david -- please do post pix of new garden. your pix always inspire me to at least "try" :-)

• celtic_07
    14 years ago

too good to not bump up again , David where are you? You have such an eye for blending and surprizing the eye. I've just recently found this post and would love to see, find more of your pics and endless info, Lois

• tessz6pa
    14 years ago

I love that these pictures are still in the "loop"...they always brighten my day, and actually were quite an inspiration to me back in 04...My gardens still don't look that polished, but have certainly improved since I read your many posts back then, you always had good advice ....hope all is well, and if you can , more pictures!!

• jxa44
    10 years ago

The pix have been removed :'-( -- boo hoo hoo!

• jxa44
    10 years ago

The pix have been removed :'-( -- boo hoo hoo!

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

too bad they removed the pics. i remember them and they were stunning. whatever happened to David? i don't see his posts anymore.