Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phonegirl_gw

2008 Lupines

phonegirl
15 years ago

This is one flower that grows great for me. My mom started this collection and I have continued it.

{{gwi:192611}}

{{gwi:192613}}

{{gwi:192615}}

{{gwi:192617}}

{{gwi:192619}}

{{gwi:192620}}

{{gwi:192621}}

{{gwi:192622}}

{{gwi:192623}}

{{gwi:192624}}

{{gwi:192625}}

{{gwi:192626}}

{{gwi:192627}}

Comments (28)

• blondiesc
    15 years ago

Wow! Those are beautiful and I am green with envy. I can't grow lupines --- way too hot here for them. Great photos!

• grandmachris
    15 years ago

I've come back to look at these three times now. The pictures are just gorgeous. At first I just concentrated on the Lupines. I am good at starting them but NOT good at keeping them alive. I live in Indiana.

Several years ago there was a backyard on the "alley walk" I took every morning which had a bed just full of lupines, in the colors you have. When I walked one day
    late enough to meet the gardener, she told me that she had
    taken a trip to Alaska the last summer and then came home and started lupines. One by one her flowers disappeared. In 5 years she didn't have any and had decided that foxgloves are a better idea here.

I'm ready to try again.

When I focused on the mountains, I became sure that you're in Alaska, right?

Chris

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Now that's what I call magnificent. Do you collect and grow from your own seed and are yours from a specific strain?
    I have a flat of Lupins to plant out this week grown from seed this spring. I also have a couple of plants from the original Russell Lupins developed in England, one bloomed this year it's pink, the other plant didn't bloom. Another question are your plants long lived or do they die out after several years?
    You really should be very proud of yourself, I think your Lupins are the nicest I've ever seen.

Annette

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all your nice comments. I live in Montana and the plants come back and also reseed every year. I would be happy to send some seeds next year so you could try. I throw away thousands of seeds and lots of plants every year. I also give alot away. Don't know what strain they are as my mom started most of these years ago. I believe the bees play a big part in the variety of colors I've ended up with.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Phonegirl, I've let them know all about your beautiful Lupins and other flowers over on the Cottage Garden Forum so come on over and join us. I also let them know you have extra seed :o) I hope you don't mind. I know there are a few that will relate to growing in zone 4 so you won't be alone there. Cottage has the most friendly bunch of gardeners I've ever come across, do come on over and join us.

Annette

• plantlady999
    15 years ago

What beautiful plants. I love all the different colors. I have tried growing them a couple of times but they die after a few years.

Sue

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    15 years ago

Amazing phonegirl! I love Lupines. That orangy colored one you have is really amazing, and I like that white one too!
    I have heard that they are considered rather short lived plants. I'm not sure what is considered 'short', because I have had several plants that have been growing for five years. I really need do save seed just in case though.
    Ps. What is the best way to get rid of Powdery Mildew on Lupines? I keep trying everything but it still comes back after (and during!) blooming. Whats your secret to healthy foliage?
    Thank you for showing us your wonderful Lupine!
    CMK

• jxa44
    15 years ago

gorgeous, gorgeous beds! just curious, what do you plant in that bed when they're not blooming?

• irish_rose_grower
    15 years ago

those lupines are stunning. Some of the prettiest pics I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing with us.

• irish_rose_grower
    15 years ago

phonegirl - I would love to grow some of these lupine seeds. will you let me know if you would like to trade? I have hollyhocks from my garden and lots of veggies/tomato seeds (heirloom). thanks
    Maureenpm00@hotmail.com

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago

Ooooo...that is so unfair!!!! Why, why, why, can't I grow them *banging my head on the counter*.

I planted seeds in spring, they grew three leaves and still look like little sprouts till this day. Mine get powdery mildew too. What am I doing wrong?

Edna

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will save seeds next year and trade or send to all that would like some. When my plants start looking bad I cut off those leaves and they grow back with pretty leaves and rebloom. That's my secret. I do this with all my plants that seem to be looking bad at some point. When the lupines are done blooming the garden is growing squash, cukes, pumplins, snap dragons, lillies. Before them are daffodils, tulips, hyacinths. I try to keep something blooming all the time.

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

I just can not get over those pics. They are so beautiful - the flowers and the background. I just can't stop looking at them. (adding Lupine to my wishlist.... ) Nikki

• pearlgirl
    15 years ago

I just can't get over those lupines either! To die for...
    I've tried them with no success myself. Believe me, I'm
    ready to try again also.

Margaret

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I've come back a few times to look at them again too. :-) I have some lupine in three areas in my garden, but one area has a very bad aphid infestation this year. I never saw one last year, what happened? Have you ever had any pest or disease problems with your lupine?

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Thanks for bringing this up to the top so I could see it.
    Lusting for lupines in Socal.
    Renee

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Just one more look. Ahhhhh.

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

I just found these pictures. Bumping them up because they are just too beautiful.

• steve1young
    12 years ago

Oh, your pictures are AMAZING! How lucky are we that you shared? Thank you!

Like many who've commented, I too have had horrible luck with growing Lupines until I started growing the blue and blue-violet colors. They've been working consistently for me for 3 years now.

Best of luck!

• caseyjay26
    9 years ago

These are absolutely fantastic! Do you have any more recent pictures? Also are you still willing to send seed? I am highly interested and would be willing to pay you! Thanks so much!

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I realize this is an old thread that got bumped..but first time I have saw it and I have to say those are DARN impressive....too bad they won't grow here.

• catkinZ8a
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! I have some seeds I'm going to toss around the beds! Not sure if they're still viable, time will tell!

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

Impressive indeed, beautiful garden and excellent use of plants that do well for you area.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful, PG.

I've periodically tried garden lupins here, but they've never last more than a year or two in my gardens.

Still we can see the lovely blue/purple wild lupins in cottage country. We just don't have the thin, well-drained, sandy, acidic soil, they have in locations like Muskoka, On.

• arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
    9 years ago

I can't even. Just gorgeous. Three years now I have tried lupines and if they don't work this year then I give up.

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    9 years ago

Those are AWESOME!!! They do not grow well in the south, right? I have tried several times. Those are the most beautiful ones I have EVER seen!!

• Young Jin Choi
    9 years ago

GORGEOUS lupines! Could I possibly buy some seeds from you? You can contact me at boston701@yahoo.com

• Lizzie
    7 years ago

Insanely beautiful, I can hardly believe this is real.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm