michael1846

Happy new year

michael1846
10 years ago

It's 12:18 and I want to wish everyone on this fourm a happy new year

Comments (13)

• growlove
    10 years ago

Hooray!!!! January thaw ????? Wishful thinking and then Spring.

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Thanks and a Happy New Year to All.

Can't wait for spring.
    Below April 19 last year.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Yes, Happy New Year to everyone! I can't wait for spring either - so I went outside and worked in the garden today. Only in the 20's but sunny and beautiful! Got some more leaves up (was interrupted by snow earlier in the season), shredded leaf mulch down, and cut back some dead stuff. Nice way to start off the new year!

Best wishes to all for a happy, healthy, year with lots of blooms and veggies galore!

:)
    Dee

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    10 years ago

Happy gardening 2014! It's definitely too cold - and snow-covered - to garden out there today :-) This month and next are the booooring months....

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

Thank you and Happy New Year to everyone! Can't wait for spring!

I've got a few seeds up in a sunny southern window and some cuttings rooting, some jugs with seed are planted outdoors and I added a few more this weekend. I put my annual marker up to keep track of the receding shade line on the north side of the house. There is a bit of new growth coming up around a few plants under the mulch and if I look very close to the ground, there are some hardy annuals up. Any small indication or promise of spring is looked for--henbit is coming up so there is some weeding and ice-storm-interrupted-fall-cleaning to do outdoors when its nice out, we had 3 days last week and it seemed everyone was out cleaning their yard.

Last year, milkweed in April.

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

Happy 2014 to everyone! This thread gave me the garden itch.

I haven't winter sowed in years, but since the ground is covered with lots of snow, I couldn't resist starting the new year with a couple WS containers. It's nice to think of flowers this time of year!

This post was edited by ruth_mi on Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 20:52

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

GP1 - stunning pic of milkweed--thanks for sharing! I gave up trying to grow from seed indoors over the winter--not enough hours of daylight November to April. I started winter sowing and won't ever try the indoor method of growing from seed again.

HNY to everyone and best wishes for a fantastic gardening year in 2014. Current forecast here calls for arctic temps + strong winds & lots of snow the next day or so. I console myself by remembering years when it was much colder & everything in my garden survived the extreme temps.

woodyoak - this time of year doesn't have to be boring if you winter sow. Check out growing things from seed via WS and you'll find yourself gliding through the cold weather with a grin on your face & growers mix under your fingernails. Thanks to WS, I stuffed all of my garden beds with healthy perennials for a few pennies in less than 5 years' time.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    10 years ago

gardenweed - WS (or any seed starting...) is not something that appeals to me now. I have no room or need for seedlings as all my garden space is full. Most of the plants I add now are shrubs or vines as I'm gradually replacing more and more perennials with shrubs - or larger perennials that serve a shrub-like role. In the past couple of winters I took landscape design courses on-line through the University of Guelph - but there are no more courses left in their program that interest me. So the only garden-related activities for this winter are reading garden books, updating my garden maintenance manual for changes made in the garden in 2013, and thinking about what changes need to be made this year - and checking in on GW forums as an important way to get a winter gardening 'fix' :-).

It is -16C with a windchill of -28C (4F/-19F) here at the moment -spring feels a long way off....!

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

woops wrong forum.

This post was edited by GreatPlains1 on Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 19:00

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

delete

This post was edited by GreatPlains1 on Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 19:01

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

Happy New Year
    Here's March 30th....... less than three months away :)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

Happy New Year, everyone !!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Definitely, Happy New Year! Hoping that 2014 will be the best gardening year for everyone! Can't wait to get past indoor projects and chores to get to planning next year's garden. I think this winter is going to go by really fast. :-)