Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When best to harcest Acaena seeds?

Posted by fireweed22 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 9, 13 at 1:49

Any idea when best to harvest Acaena seed heads (burrs?) for replanting? Specifically Acaena magellanica and A. tenera however I am hoping the more commonly planted species are similar.

I'm curious if there is a trick to know when ripe?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When best to harcest Acaena seeds?

Sorry your question hasn't been answered....

I have zero knowledge of this plant or when to harvest seed. Looking at a picture of the seedhead online, I would think that as soon as the prickly "burrs" turn brown and fall off/are easily removed from the stem when you try they are ready.

What is your zone/climate? Cuz' the seeds won't likely be viable if they have been frosted or sitting in the snow and wet for any period of time.

Hopefully someone with knowledge of this plant will come along to help. I thought I would take at least a stab at it since your question has been unanswered for so long ;-) You could also re-post this question on one of the seed forums here on GW, they might have more info.

Ps. not sure if you are intersted, but the link below provides great seed germinating info. Your Acaena is at the top...
CMK

Here is a link that might be useful: Tom Clothier

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here