Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

How cold is it?

All week it will be well below 'normal' temperatures for this time of year. For example this morning at 6:00 AM it is -20C/-4F (-28C/-18F with the wind chill). And these temperatures are happening with absolutely no moderating snow cover.

How cold is it in your 'neck of the woods'?

Comments (28)

• gardenweed_z6a
    11 years ago

Ten degrees here just after 7 a.m. two miles south of the MA state line. This time last year it was in the 40's/50's. We did get some light snow a few days ago but nothing significant in terms of accumulation. For whatever benefit it's worth, there's no wind to speak of (so far) making it feel even colder.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

same as you rougey ...

ken

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 years ago

I believe the high yesterday was 10 F.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I knew we would find something in common Ken ;).

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    11 years ago

This morning it was 12F when I woke up. Yesterday it was 1F. No snow cover here either.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

At about 9:30AM, it's currently about 12F (with the weather site giving a "feels like" temp of -2F) - brrrr.

But its sunny (for now) so I'm not complaining. Of course, I'm inside too, lol. But as much as I hate the cold, it IS winter, and it should be cold. Conversely, as much as I love the 50-degrees-in-January weather, it just ain't right!

Dee

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

A little below average here too, it's 53 degrees, gusts of wind 8-9 mph. Will probably not get to open windows today.

11 years ago

awwww.. poor purp..

cant open her window in the MIDDLE OF FREAKING WINTER ... my heart bleeds for you ...

rotflmbo ...

ken

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

The high Monday was -11, yesterday -2 and today we were at a balmy 12 degrees with a NW wind at 25 to 30 mph. A couple nights the lows were at -21. Just normal January weather here. The snow cover is sparse, a couple inches in some areas, bare in a lot of places.

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

Sudbury Ontario Canada--Last night set a new low not seen since 1987....-37 C (-34.6 F)
    today we had a high of -28 (-18.4) With more cold weather to follow for the next 2 days. BRRRR I haven't ventured out side and I won't until it warms up a bit. The roads are dangerous. The traffic melts the snow and moisture and it freezes into black ice. Kids were having a heyday throwing hot water into the air and 3watching it freeze on contact with the air

Original Author
    11 years ago

dowlinggram what (Canadian) plant hardiness zone is Sudbury?

• franeli
    11 years ago

-18F,glad I'm not Z3

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

Sudbury is classed as 4b but most of my plants are zone 3 or lower. Oddly enough it is not cold winters that kills plants. If you have good snow cover they will usually come through very cold weather. It is cold temps in fall and spring with no snow cover that kills them. I surround my plants with dry mulched leaves in fall after the ground starts to freeze and don't remove it until night temps are better in the spring. That usually brings the tenderer ones through the spring cold snaps

11 years ago

22 yesterday.. felt like a heat wave ... lol

i was out there in a windbreaker.. thinking about opening my windows ...

ken

ps: dont ask how many layers i had on under the windbreaker.. lol ...

11 years ago

22 yesterday.. felt like a heat wave ... lol

i was out there in a windbreaker.. thinking about opening my windows ...

ken

ps: dont ask how many layers i had on under the windbreaker.. lol ...

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 years ago

Supposed to go up to the 50s early in the week from *highs* in the low-10s less than a week earlier, so ~40-degree difference in less than a week, that's crazy. It's then forecast to go back down again to highs in the low-20s by the end of the week.

I can take the cold just fine, if it would just STAY cold! It's the up and down that's hard to adjust to - BAH!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Yes, Ken, lol - 26 degrees here yesterday. Thought I had been transported to the tropics!

I can deal with the cold as long as it's sunny. A bright sunny cold winter day is much better than a cloudy, cold winter day (with possible snow to boot!). I'm blessed enough to have shelter and, other than running from/to the car into another heated area, I have no need to be outside for long, so I can deal. I just always think about those who do not have proper shelter in this frigid weather...

Dee

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

It's 32 F with rain, ice pellets and now some snow. How festive! By morning everything should be very, very slick.

That's the one thing I hate about these warm snaps in the middle of winter. If there's any moisture in the area, we get ice which is far, far worse than a foot of snow.

Back in the deep freeze by the end of the week with temps once again in the negative numbers. I'm dreaming of those unbearably hot, humid days from last summer. Why can't we have a few of them now?

Kevin

Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes it will be interesting as to the amount of winter kill due to these great extremes of temperature. I am thinking that those perennials that survive this winter can survive most any winter!

• terrene
    11 years ago

Well it hasn't been above freezing in over a week, and we hit -1 F the other morning, and I am getting a little sick of it. But it could be worse. I could live in Sudbury, Ontario! Acckkk!

Original Author
    11 years ago

terrene wrote: But it could be worse. I could live in Sudbury, Ontario! Acckkk!

Yes but maybe it is a dry cold! ;)

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    11 years ago

It"s -4F this AM. Earlier in the week it got down to -20F with a stiff wind and the high of 0F. We're expecting a warmup with snow today and rain showers Wed. We've got 6-9" of snow on the ground so the perennials should be okay.

In 1979 or 1980 we had three weeks in a row that the temperature never got above 0F with no snow cover. We only had a few perennials at the time and only remember loosing some (all) the asters. There were a lot of frozen water lines and buckled roads. I had an old piece of shag rug that I'd put next to the wood stove every night and put on my truck seat in the AM before going to work.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

A high of 37 today which melted the ice, sleet and snow we got yesterday so that we can do it all over again before dropping into the deep freeze with sub zero temps again. And spring is still a long time away.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I wonder how those 'phoo phoo' "Butterfly Bushes" (at least in zone 5), experiencing these crazy spread of temps, will do.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 years ago

I don't consider Butterfly bushes foo-foo - even if they die or take a beating, they're not that expensive to replace. Foo-foo = touchy + expensive (in my book anyway). I'm not even worried about them, I'm worried about my Japanese maples taking a beating again this spring, I don't know if they have the reserves to make it through another early spring bud kill like last year. And those are expensive to replace.

It's raining this morning. I didn't want to get out of bed, it was so nice and warm and cozy under the blankets and the sound of the rain beating on the roof was so comforting...

Original Author
    11 years ago

mxk3, my use of 'phoo phoo' (or is it 'foo foo'?) ;)) in this context is only to indicate that this plant is temperamental in terms of winter surivival.

Funny you mention JM as I planted a 5 foot Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' this past late November! At the time I mulched tons around the base and put up a make shift burlap wind break hoping to provide some extra protection in this its first winter...but what a first winter!

This post was edited by rouge21 on Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 9:04

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 years ago

The Ken-ism is foo-foo.

This post was edited by mxk3 on Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 21:55

Original Author
    11 years ago

In less than 24 hours the temperature is predicted to fall from a high of 60F to 25F...a change of 35 degrees!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting