Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any other thoughts on Knautia Thunder & Lightning?

Posted by aachenelf z5 Mpls, MN (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 7:16

This one is tempting me and in the process of doing some research,I found the following discussion on this forum (link below).

What most interests me about this plant is the foliage, so I'm hoping someone has had a good experience with it. Any updates?

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Knautia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any other thoughts on Knautia Thunder & Lightning?

Kevin,

I planted 3 of these plants in 2012 and two returned in 2013. (I did replace the one that didn't make it).

I was very pleased with their performance last year. They were very floriterous with the bloom color a deep magenta.

As well they continued to bloom well into the fall.

The variegated foliage was good further highlighting the color of the flower. There was some reversion on some branches but not excessive.

I saw no evidence of self-seeding.

I only hope that my 3 plants make it through this too trying winter.

(The pic, below shows one of these plants from this past year in our garden)

Here is a link that might be useful: More on T&L

This post was edited by rouge21 on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 15:18

o
RE: Any other thoughts on Knautia Thunder & Lightning?

rouge

Thank you for the update. Those really are nice looking plants. I love magenta flowers especially with variegated foliage like that.

"trying winter" is an understatement. The thought of it being even worse next week is really difficult for me to believe, but I guess it's going to happen. Thank goodness we have some snow cover this year - as if that's going to make a difference with this stupid cold.

Kevin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here