Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best use of tall grass ..EVER ....

Posted by ken_adrian z5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 8:57

and for you helicopter purists... do not argue its not a gunship ... think of it as incoming ... [or was it a gunship??? ... i would be interested in the ship]

anyone know what grass it is .... and if so.. do you have any to trade???

i have been driving by it for years ... the grass thing never really struck me.. couldnt figure it out .... then one day in fall drove by in perfect light [i think its the declination of the sun that lit it perfectly] .. and zowwee .. it hit me .. brilliant concept ... and who would have thought from the adrian VFW/Am legion post ... and to top it off .. i remembered to take the camera the next time i drove by ...

i always wondered if the design concept of the helo was dragonfly based ...

thank you for your service

ken

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best use of tall grass ..EVER ....

It is tall enough to be some type of "Miscanthus" (giganteus?) but it seems to be too narrow at the base.

(And it is almost as if the rotors are positioned to keep the height of the grass in check ;).

This post was edited by rouge21 on Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 14:26

o

Growth/habit looks more like Calamagrostis/feather reed grass altho' my own mature 'Karl Foerster' doesn't get much taller than 5 ft.

o

Perhaps Saccharum/Erianthus ravennae, Ravenna Grass or "Hardy Pampas"?
CMK

o

Ravenna Grass pic stolen from online source:

Kevin

o

I'm leaning toward Ravenna Grass as well.

You are right, best use of tall grass ever.

tj

o

That's one I've never heard of and I have a book on cold-hardy ornamental grasses. Probably missed it because I don't have the setting/landscape/habitat for anything that tall.

o

Almost certainly Ravenna grass--Erianthus ravennae. this terrific grass holds up all winter long (unless there's a really heavy wet snow, and even then, not all of it breaks. It's a bear to cut back, but easy to set afire.

o

Another user of fire. I like that.

Kevin

o

Oh yeah, I can see burning the grass in Ken's pix every spring. That would add another dimension to the display.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here