Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yellow_bear_1

giant globe thistle echinops tienschanicum

yellow_bear_1
15 years ago

I've got a hankering to grow the giant Globe Thistle. About ten years ago I saw one in a garden in Wyoming. 7 feeet tall, flowers at least the size of tennis balls, maybe larger. A little later I saw sed for it in a catalog but didn't act on it and now I can't find any availabe except in the UK. Does anybody here know of any access to this giant? Here in zone 4 large plants are a thrill. We grow Inula giantea, Thalictrum Elin, and they really make us feel like we're in a different zone. :)

Tom

Comments (10)

• bindersbee
    15 years ago

That sounds like a very interesting plant so I did some googling too. The only American source I found was Bay State Nusery in Massachusetts but it doesn't look like they do mail order. Annie's Annuals has it listed but it says 'not currently in production'.

Chiltern Seed sells the seeds and, although they are overseas, I have ordered from them before and been very happy with what I got. If you are looking for a few differnt less-common plants Chiltern is a great place to turn.

I'll bet that plant is waterwise too! Dang it! Now I REALLY want it. We can both covet it. LOL!

• Mickie Marquis
    15 years ago

Sometimes they [Chiltern's] sells at the Home and Garden Shows or larger Flower Shows. Its always a risk though, to not get something early when you want it bad!

• annette99
    15 years ago

I found echinops sphaerocephalus sounds similar to what you are looking for check it out at specialty perennials it gets 6' and is hardy to zone 3. Good luck

• Mickie Marquis
    15 years ago

Hey Tom -

Are you still looking for those echinops? I placed an order with Chilterns and have more than I need. I would be happy to share if you email your address to me.

Mickie

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    15 years ago

Hi OrganicMickie,

if you have any of the echinops tienschanicum left over, i would definitely be interested too! Trade or the like.

nevermore44@yahoo.com

-m

• yellow_bear_1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mickie!
    I, too, ordered the E. tienschanicum from Chiltern along with Lathyrus vernus that we had seen at the Denver Botanical Gardens but had been unable to find a source for anywhere. So it was a GREAT recommendation. I have takers here already for the extra plants. I'm going to start the whole lot and distribute the plants to hopefully secure a future source of seed in case of plant failure in our garden. I have received a seed germination tip to place the pointy tip down in the starting medium. Lets try to remember to get back here to compare notes!
    Tom

• Mickie Marquis
    15 years ago

Hi Tom,

Yes, we'll keep in touch. I am sharing seeds now and plants later; gotta cover all the bases. I love big plants.

Nevermore - please send your address and I will send you some seeds!

Mickie

• yellow_bear_1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mickie, Are you familiar with the giant Inula? It's a great big plant hardy even here in zone 4. the plant gets 8 or 9 feet tall with leaves two or more feet long. The yellow composite flowers are okay but the plant itself is such a grand presence and grows in shade or sun!
    Tom

• pdshop
    14 years ago

Can any of you tell me the address for Chiltern. I am in MA. and am not familar with it. I saw some in VT. last weekend and want it!!!

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    14 years ago

Some other huge plants that might interest you--Persicaria 'Crimson Beauty' (absolutely non invasive and gets 12 feet tall with gorgeous Sept bloom), Silphium perfoliatum (cup plant), Coreopsis tripteris, Persicaria polymorpha (8 ft tall and 12 feet wide with bloom from lt. May into August). Not sure about the zones for these plants.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH