Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kato_b

keeping up with the pictures

katob Z6ish, NE Pa
11 years ago

Last year's resolution was to be a little more regular with taking garden pictures. I don't think it really made a difference, but I did manage to snap a few pictures here and there.... maybe this year will be the season where I really keep up... Right now when there's really not much to do I like going back and seeing how things change over the summer and over the years.
For this border I did manage to take a few pictures, mostly from the same spot. I thought it was interesting to see the changes even though for some reason I had next to no interest in this border this year. Probably because of the hot dry spring. Usually I add plenty of annuals and summer bulbs and it's a little more colorful, but the perennials do an ok job on their own, even if they are a little messy and out of control at times.
Mid spring, hyacinths and early daffs.

Comments (6)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot tulip season, but mid summer has plenty of historic iris (which are now officially taking over).

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Next is early summer with rudbeckias and and tons of weedy oxeye daisies that I'm too lazy to rip out. The ornamental grasses are waking up too.
    There's one sad little coleus I planted in the front, plus plenty of other gaps with puny cannas and annuals... they never got the compost, water and mulch I promised, so as a result never put on the show they usually promise.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mid summer and this bed is on its own. It would probably look better with regular watering, but I know I can get by without.... so I like to veer off onto the path of least resistance. Plus I spent more time in the veggie garden last summer and that kind of demanded my watering attention.
    and there's always the pool, and ice cream runs, and shady lawn chairs.....

Those brown gaps in front are where the annuals should have filled in. I should have left all the self seeded verbena bonariensis and fennel, but you know how it is in spring you always think you have a better idea.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And then there is fall. The grasses have taken over and the miscanthus is probably too big for where I have it. Normally this is the time of year when the cannas really show off, but last year they barely reached knee high (re: not watering or fertilizing).

I guess I could go outside and get a winter interest photo, but I'm sure you would see the same looking out your own window.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

I like the way you use spring bulbs - just a few clumps here and there. I know the mass plantings can be spectacular, but sometimes less is more. One really gets to admire individual flowers when you're not overwhelmed by something done in mass.

And yes, I also love the Historical Iris. I have very few iris these days, but the ones I do have which I love the most are the Historicals.

A few years ago when I started to get serious about selling plants on Craig's List, I made it a regular chore to start taking photos of everything in my garden which I might want to divide and sell at some point. I use the photos in my ads. It was a lot of work, but it sure is fun having all those photos now - in the dead of winter. I have a few "progression photos" like yours too which are really fun to look at this time of year.

Kevin

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The small bulb clumps are more a result of collector's syndrome than the result of any thought out design plan, but thanks. More small clumps mean more varieties but it also makes it easier to interplant perennials for multi season color.

If anyone has pictures to add, feel free. I love progressions and before and afters.

The iris are even thicker at the other end, and I did end up pulling about half out last summer. I wonder if I could have craiglisted them, although I do get selfish about my compost materials.....