Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Plants to acquire in 2013?

Now that we are into January with on-line catalogues for 2013 becoming more and more available each day I am sure many of us are populating our 2013 "to buy" list:

So far for me :

- "Sweet Summer Love" clematis

- "Mercury Rising" coreopsis

- "Inca Ice" Alstroemeria

- "Misty Blue" Actaea

- "Ieniemienie" Chelone

- "Silver Heart" Brunnera macrophylla

- "Wild Swan" Anemone

- "Havana Blues" Hardy Geranium

- an Epimedium or two ("Wudang Star"/"Domino"/"ElfinMagic)

I would love to know of your current list of purchases to be.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 19:26

Comments (74)

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Praiiriemoon, boy I wish I new how to post photos on here I haven't a problem on other sites. Panicum Northwind Is my favorite but a bigger grass maybe 5 or 6' but slower to spread than most large grasses. It has the deepest blue green foilage and remains totally upright. It's gorgeous! Panicum Cheyenne Sky what a winner that one is. Comes up a nice blue green And after the heat dies down in summer starts turning coppery red. Bluestones description is accurate. It's also very upright. I have it planted with aster Blue Autumn, a short blue veronica and ajunca Chocolate Chip. Highly recomend Cheyenne Sky for a smaller grass. I have to try hard to stay away from Pennisetim as they prolifically reseed here. Altho I couldn't resist Pennisetum Little Bunny. After all how hard can removing the little guys seedlings be. It's so cute.
    Anyway if you have room for a larger grass Northwind is as beautiful as you could hope for. Pat

11 years ago

Rouge 21, thanks for the astilbe younique suggestion. Looked them up today very pretty. I got a couple of the color flash astilbe last year. The red foliage was lovely. Pat

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sure 'patty'. I am not really sure that the picture of this Astilbe looks any better than any other one but the description seems a bit intriguing with the statement that "Younique" is extra floriferous.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

Thanks Patty for those descriptions, I will keep an eye out for that Cheyenne Sky. As for photos, have you noticed that there is an easy image upload just at the top of the window you type your message into? You click on choose file and select the photo and when you hit preview message you should see the photo at the bottom of your post.

I have an Apple, so not sure my directions will help, but I have a photo program on my computer and I 'export' the photos I want to post to my desktop and then when I click on 'choose file' they are easily found to choose for the post. Not sure you would have to make that extra step.

11 years ago

I can not believe it was that easy. I have an Apple also but this is the first time anyone explained uploading a picture this way. Don't know how to change picture sizes yet so this may be out of focus. THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
    Pat

11 years ago

Oh my goodness it WORKED!

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

prairiemoon, the Bouteloua is very airy but it's amazingly tough. Heavy rains, high winds even wet snow, it just pops back. The exception was the winter we got 100 inches of snow, it was not so much that it was flattened, just couldn't see it lol.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

Great shot of your Panicums, Pat! They really can make a great privacy screen too. Thank you. I'm glad you were able to post your photo. This function on GW is very recent. I find it convenient and easy to do, but I have not seen anyone posting a larger photo then that using that function. I sometimes want to post larger and I have used tinypic dot com for that. I think it is so much more fun sharing photos on GW and not always having to 'describe' something.

Hostaholic, that is great to hear. I really found the photos of that plant very attractive but haven't seen it in person, which is always a drawback. I guess I should have gotten it when High Country Gardens was still in business. Thanks!

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

I thought had a better pic of the Bouteloua but must be on my desktop computer.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

hostaholic, that is really different looking, isn't it! Thanks for that photo. Looks great with your aster too.

11 years ago

Beautiful seed heads, love it.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Very cool pic 'hosta'...thank you.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

My newest grass variety, fall blooming feather reed grass, Calamagrostis brachytricha. Love the plumes but does not stand up well to snow.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

I adore Calamagrostis brachytricha and have been growing it for years, however beware - it's a rampant self-sower. And yes, it doesn't stand up well to winter weather which is why it's one of the grasses I set on fire in late fall. The fire seems to takes care of the majority of the seeds.

Kevin

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

I should have added it's a rampant self-sower right smack in the middle of other perennials (in my experience) and if you don't pull the seedlings when they are very small, they can be very difficult to remove later. I still adore it and that doesn't stop me from growing it.

Kevin

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

I should have added it's a rampant self-sower right smack in the middle of other perennials (in my experience) and if you don't pull the seedlings when they are very small, they can be very difficult to remove later. I still adore it and that doesn't stop me from growing it.

Kevin

Original Author
    11 years ago

And Kevin, it is advertised as being able to take some reasonable shade. In what aspect is yours located?

• kimka
    11 years ago

I've just gotten the hardy geranium bug, especially those that will do well in more shade than sun. I've ordered one of each of several: nodosum, Blue sunrise, summer skies, Southcombe Double and Amy Doncaster. This next year will be a test period and I'll get more of whichever does best at blooming and coming back in my mostly shade garden

Original Author
    11 years ago

'kimka', if you remember please report back when you are able to tell us more how any of these varieties do for you in shady conditions.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

"And Kevin, it is advertised as being able to take some reasonable shade. In what aspect is yours located?"

Yes, that's another nice thing about this grass. I think it does better with some shade (like morning sun). In full, full sun it tends to fry a bit during the really hot weather.

Kevin

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

Kevin, thanks for the warning, I'll keep my eyes open. That's probably not likely to keep me from growing it either. Mine gets sun from about 10:00 am till about 2:30 pm.

• ninamarie
    11 years ago

I've grown Calamagrostis brachyricha for years without any self sowing.
    Curious how differently the same cultivars will behave in different gardens. I wouldn't mind a seedling or two from it.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    11 years ago

Interesting to read the experiences above with Calamagrostis brachytricha. It is such a stunning fall grass. I fall planted this grass last year along with many Anemone 'Honorine Jobert' to form the backbone of the border in front of my house, and it will be interesting to see how well they both survive this winter. I planted them in late August/early September, so I hope they had enough time and warmth to start establishing root systems, especially since most information I read about these two plants online recommends spring planting only. If either of these fail to return for me, then they will be necessary plants to acquire in 2013, lol!

Here is what I have on order for 2013:

1. Peucedanum ostruthium 'Daphnis'--a summer-blooming umbellifer with variegated foliage said to do well in shade.
    2. Ranunculus aconitifolius 'Flore Pleno'--I planted some of these last year and I loved them so much I ordered more to plant in my front border.
    3. Anemone nemorosa, several cultivars--I ordered these potted to ensure success. I just love the spring ephemerals!
    4. Herbaceous, non-vining clematis: Arabella, Durandii, Rooguchi, Jan Fopma, Star River, Alionushka.
    5. Vining clematis: John Huxtable, Huldine, Betty Corning, Purpurea Plena Elegans, Emilia Plater, Minuet, Etoile Rose, Princess Diana, Maria Cornelia, Madame Julia Correvon, Odoriba, Stolwijk Gold.
    6. Erythronium 'Snowflake'--another spring ephemeral that I have ordered potted since most of the small bulbs I buy in fall are dried out and fail to grow.
    7. Aster ageratoides 'Ashivi'--I grow the purple form of this species, 'Ezo Murasaki', and LOVE it! I was so happy to see this white form available.
    8. Symphytum 'Axeminster Gold'--I have been debating so long with myself about ordering this plant. I finally went ahead and pulled the trigger. It looks stunning in photos.
    9. Chrysanthemum (Dendranthemum?) 'Mrs Gloria's Thanksgiving Mum'--I just love the single-flowered Korean-type mums since they are so hardy and so graceful compared to the double-flowered ones. This is a deep pink/magenta colored form that I just had to have!
    10. Primula 'Jay-Jay'--this is said to be an easy, reliable hybrid and I love anything with magenta blooms.

And finally a couple of woody plants:

1. Cornus 'Venus'--I have been wanting a white dogwood as a small specimen tree for my front garden and have finally settled on this complex hybrid. Said to be very cold/heat hardy, disease resistant and drought tolerant with HUGE white blooms in late spring.
    2. Koelreuteria 'Rose Lantern'--this will be a small specimen tree in my back garden. Also drought tolerant with bright yellow blooms in late summer (August-September) followed by rose-colored seed pods that last through the fall. Said to be loved by pollinators. This tree *might* be marginally hardy in my area but I am willing to take a chance.

I am finding more and more that my plant choices are guided by my preference for three things: 1) plants that look good in early spring, 2) plants that look good in late summer/fall, and 3) plants that are liked by insect pollinators, especially bees.

This post was edited by ispahan on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 23:46

• echinaceamaniac
    11 years ago

I am getting:

Agastache 'Ava'
    Agastache 'Summer Glow'
    Agastache 'Bolero'
    Agastache 'Pink Pop'
    Sempervivum 'Jungle Fire'
    Sempervivum 'Aglow'
    Sempervivum 'Lavender and Old Lace'
    Sempervivum 'Tree Beard'
    Sempervivum tectorum
    Sempervivum 'Lowes 60'
    Sempervivum 'Max Frei'
    Sempervivum 'Michael's Golden'
    Sempervivum 'Eomer'
    Sempervivum 'Red Rum'
    Sempervivum 'Virgil Ford'
    Sempervivum 'Bronco'
    Sempervivum 'Edge of Night'
    Sempervivum 'Feugo'
    Sempervivum 'Hey Hey'
    Sempervivum 'Mrs. Guiseppi'
    Sempervivum 'Noir'
    Sempervivum 'Reinhard'
    Wisteria 'Ed's Blue Dragon'

This post was edited by echinaceamaniac on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 9:39

11 years ago

Isapan, Do you have Calamintha Montrose White? Never have I seen a plant so covered in bees. I mention Montrose White because of it's extremely long bloom period. Yes, covered in bees head to toe from the time they wake up till evening when they return to their nests.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    11 years ago

Pattyw5, I don't grow Calamintha 'Montrose White' but I did plant Calamintha nepeta ssp. nepeta, from which 'Montrose White' is a hybrid or selection.

You are right, bees LOVE this plant! There are several established plantings here around the city that were swarming with activity all summer and fall. My newly planted specimens didn't flower that heavily last summer but still attracted their fair share of attention.

From what I observed last summer, bees and other insect pollinators will go crazy for alliums and sedums as well. They will all but ignore other prime nectar/pollen flowers when any form of allium, sedum or calamintha is in bloom.

A tender perennial that I found was also highly successful was Basil 'African Blue'. I will probably be planting more every year since the plants are a very attractive filler, too.

A few perennials that I planted last year that haven't flowered yet are pycnanthemum, echinops and various solidagos and asters. All are supposed to be good for pollinators.

Original Author
    11 years ago

UPDATE:

CMK wrote: I frequent Graham Rice's blog, so saw 'Wild Swan' there in 2011 when it was first introduced at the Chelsea Plant show. It does look pretty awesome.

I just got confirmation today that WS will be available for sale this May at "my" nursery! And so by implication you will most surely see it at a garden centre near you this spring/summer.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 14:45

• boday
    11 years ago

I ordered Tradescantia 'Sunshine Charm'. One of those What a 'Great' idea or 'What a disaster' choices.

I'll hide it on the corner - "Interest Piquer".

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

Must say I don't really like to buy a perennial plant unless I see and buy it in flower.

In this regard, I've certainly met people who want to be able to pick out their own roses, by colour.

Of course, just because the plant did well in the nursery, doesn't mean that it's going to do well in the location you put it in.

• boday
    11 years ago

Aah, I've tried to get our nursery people interested in doing promos. Tell us something interesting that's happening, new plants, etc. They nod politely and nothing happens.

They have websites that are out of date and plants listed, are not correlated to their stock. You go visit and they have new varieties, no one knew, some appear in the middle of the season.

You try to support locals but they make it difficult.

After all that, you go online.

• auron22
    11 years ago

I compiled a large list of "possibilites", they are all plants i want, but can only buy so much (if any...). It's more of a wishlist from the catologues i have recieved so far. If anyone is interested you can send me an email and i will attach the lists in the reply. All properly named scientifically with a few common names provided and sometimes notes. All listed plants have pictures, most more than one picture.

some are hardy to zone 4, most to zone 5 and a few zone 6 (plants i will grow in sheltered areas)

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    11 years ago

My list is EXHAUSTIVE, literally! I am redoing two full beds and building a new raised bed, so lots on my list:

Delosperma ‘Fire Spinner’
    Sedum “October Daphne”
    Aubrieta “Violet with Eye”
    Alyssum “Snow Princess”
    Iberis “Snow Cone”
    Verbena “Blue Princess” & ‘Snow Flurry’
    Hellebore ‘Amber Gem’
    Echium Amoenum ‘Red Feathers’
    Caradonna Salvia
    Scabiosa ‘Mariposa Violet’
    Scabiosa “Fama Blue”
    Dianthus ‘Heart Attack’
    Veronica ‘Tidal Pool’
    Garden Globeflower ‘Cheddar’
    Astrantia ‘Venice’
    Astrantia ‘Florence’
    Astrantia ‘Moulin Rouge’
    Oxalis-Palm Leaf False Shamrock
    Eucomis ‘Dark Star’
    Helenium ‘Ruby Tuesday’
    Heuchera/ella: Obsidian, Kimono, Green Spice, Spellbound
    Euphorbia: ‘Dwarf’ & ‘Shorty’
    Clematis ‘Summer Love’
    Passion Flower: either ‘Incense’ or ‘Inspiration’
    Geranium ‘Bill Wallis’
    Eryngium “Sapphire Blue”
    Lavender “Anouk”
    Lavender “Madrid Blue”
    Coreopsis “Moonlight”
    Amsonia Hubrichtii
    Bowles Golden Sedge
    Glow Girl Spirea
    Anna’s Magic Ball Thuja
    Vitex: ‘Abbeville Blue’ & ‘Shoal’s Creek’
    Shasta Vibernum
    Oriental Lily “Serene Angel”
    Polianthes “The Pearl”
    Anemone Coronaria “de Caen”
    Siberian Iris ‘Shaker’s Prayer’
    Nigella hispanica ‘Curiosity’
    Cerinthe major purpurascens ‘Blue Honeywort’
    Nemophila ‘Penny Black’
    Platystemon “Cream Cups’
    Nemophila ‘Baby Blue Eyes’
    Echinacea: Hot Summer, Secret Glow, Cheyenne Spirit, Leilani, Secret Joy, Marmalade, Hot Papaya, Double Scoop Raspberry, Raspberry Truffle & Double Scoop Orangeberry, Secret Lust, Solar Flare & Chiquita

Very excited, but Yikes!

• molie
    11 years ago

Oh, dear. First of all, I'm sorry I read this thread because my pared down "Wish List" for 2013 has grown.

I am torn. Part of me is with all of you in wanting/needing to consolidate. Here's a photo of our long garden that is out of control and needs thinning down and fixing as so many of you have said. Some things need to be propagated and repeated further along the border. And I'm saying, "Hold off on the spending this year!" Another part of me is sitting here with dreamy eyes after "just checking" some of your lists and falling in love all over again. Drats! I guess it's hard to have self-control after such a long winter. {{gwi:193622}}From May 10, 2012

So, though I'm not really spiteful, this suggestion is more playful in nature. PM2, I think you were curious about adding Clematis. I have some favorites along our garden shed you might want to look up. The first pic was taken early in the morning and so is a little dark.

{{gwi:193623}}

Those are all Type 2 Clematis -- H.F. Young, Nelly Moser, Dr. Ruppel on the left and 'Kivistik Huvi' in the back on the right. The ones in the front have become so lush; I really love them. You might want to look some of these up to see how they'll do in your area. Here's a closer view.

{{gwi:193624}}

Molie

Original Author
    11 years ago

That is a crazy # of perennials 'funnthsun'. Very exciting for you.

11 years ago

I know. it was supposed to be a five year plan. but looks like its going to be more like two years because of my impatience/enthusiasm. i spread my purchases out through the entire winter to spread the cost around a bit. its going to be like Christmas, though, when all the plants descend in April. So excited!

Original Author
    11 years ago

it was supposed to be a five year plan. but looks like its going to be more like two years because of my impatience/enthusiasm.

Good for you. Life is too short for *5* year plans!

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

Oh boy. things were going so well with my self control until you guys start in with the pictures of the airy grass that is cold hardy!
    DANG IT! must have!
    Except for a few succulents I caved in an bought, I was trying to not buy anything this year. But the grass is great and will fit in perfectly.

All of your photos are really beautiful and I can't wait for flowers to reappear in my garden.

11 years ago

Rouge, where are you getting your Summer Love Clematis this year? Just wondering, I've seen it a few places, but nothing that says "buy me here"

Original Author
    11 years ago

'funn', so I take it you have found on-line/'brick and mortar' sources for this particular clematis? If so then that is good enough! It is always frustrating to want a plant and then not be able to find it locally (say within a...2 hour drive).

11 years ago

I've only seen it online, but I don't think I saw it at what I would call a known reliable source. I have found that you and I have similar tastes in perennials, so wasn't surprised at all when summer love clematis was on your list, too!

Original Author
    10 years ago

UPDATE:

Today I picked up 3 "Ieniemienie" Chelone and 2 "Silver Heart" Brunnera....my first perennial plant purchases of the season!

Original Author
    10 years ago

UPDATE

I know CMK and other GW members have already snagged "Wild Swan" but I finally was able to secure some last night. It was not easy getting them. How many did I "need"....maybe 2. How many did I buy....4. Ridiculous.

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

I'd purchased one 'Wild Swan', then went back to purchase more. They were all gone. The same thing happened with Canary Island Foxglove. I wish I'd have been ridiculous and purchased more.

Original Author
    10 years ago

'Gyr', be sure to keep us up to date on the progress of your singleton "WSwan".

Given that you are in zone 9, can I assume that you planted it in lots of shade?

(If you don't mind me asking can you tell me how much your one plant cost from the nursery?)

Original Author
    10 years ago

I just came back from the nursery with 2 Platycodon "Hakone Blue".

10 years ago

funnthson, you probably already know but just case Garden Crossing has that clematis but doesn't have permission to sell on line until July.

10 years ago

Actually, I didn't know, Patty, thanks! I had pretty much given up looking for it.

One question on this one (Summer Love Clematis). I read somewhere that it's parent is Sweet Autumn. I have also read Sweet Autumn is invasive for some people. I wonder if Summer Love has that characteristic? That was another reason I hesitated on tracking it down any further.

I added a few to my list since I posted, definitely.

I finally got that chocolate mimosa that I have been drooling over for a while.
    Baptisia Dutch Chocolate
    Cotinus (got Royal Purple & Golden Spirit-yeah!!!)
    Finally found a Silver Heart Brunnera
    After much debate, finally settled on Chocolate Dragon Persicaria out of the many "dragons" that are available.
    Picked up a Salvia "Amistad" at a local nursery today, to come home and google it and find out everyone and their brother wants one - score!!!
    Black & Blue Salvia (always wanted one)
    Chocolate Eupatorium
    Verbena Lavender Frappe (very low, lacy - supposed to spread 3 ft in the first year!)
    Corydalis Blue Heron (love!!!) & Canary Yellow (ummm, verdict is still out, the grower sent me a very frazzled plant)
    Chuck Hayes Gardenia (yeah, finally found a local one!)
    Coppertina Ninebark (huge 1 gal on discount!)
    Misc Heuchera/ellas
    Misc Clematis
    Geranium Double Jewel
    Geranium Tshelda

My debauchery knows no bounds, apparently.

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

Sorry for the delay, rouge21. Sometimes I loose track of the many threads I post in on GW.

I posted this photo on another perennial thread, but it shows the location of 'Wild Swan' in my garden. See the one white flower near the tree trunk, just below the yellow-flowering daylily? The area gets bright light all day, but the trumpet tree will shade it from the hottest sun during the summer, until later in the day. I grew Hybrid Anemones in 2/3 day full sun at our old house (15 mins. inland, and warmer, less coastal influence), but the location had a more humid microclimate.

The plant was pricier than I like, but Monrovia stock, especially new releases, tends to have a healthy mark-up. They were $13 for a 1 gal.; the reason I did not grab more at the time of purchase. But the nursery were I purchased it has a coupon discount of $10 off a $50 purchase. So it actually cost $3. ;-)

Original Author
    10 years ago

I posted this photo on another perennial thread, but it shows the location of 'Wild Swan' in my garden.

Thanks for posting 'GF'. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be...is it blooming in this picture? If so could you post a close-up? If not could you keep us up to date when it does begin to flower?

I *just* planted two very small WSwan this past week and I am not sure how much shade it can take and be successful.

As well I am wondering how large this particular Anemone will get and if it will make it through a zone 5 winter.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 5:47

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

Yes, it was in bloom, even though it is very difficult to make out in that photo. The flower stems were wilting regularly while the plant adapts to being in the ground. I am on the road for over a week, so no other photos are available right now.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert