Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Kalimeris integrifolia 'Daisy Mae'

aachenelf z5 Mpls
10 years ago

This one caught me eye while reading through the Forest Farm catalog.

from that source:
"Adaptable (to wet or dry), tolerant (of heat & humidity) AND beautiful! this 1-2'mounder is covered with 1" white "daisies" mid-summer to frost; the butterflies will adore it & so will you in border/container. Sun/M"

In doing a search on this forum, I did find a posting for Kalimeris 'Blue Star', but there weren't a whole lot of responses. Any experiences to report on either?

On another note, I'm really finding the Forest Farm catalog enjoyable reading not only for the very comprehensive listings, but because there ARE NOT any photos attached to the descriptions of the plants. There are a few pages of just photos, but they aren't very good and I really haven't tried matching them up with plants I'm interested in.

I don't know what it is about this since I'm generally a very visual person, but I find myself studying the descriptions more carefully and working a bit harder at picturing the plants in my mind. Sometimes I'll Google an image, but not always. I think I'll be ordering a few things without ever seeing a photo of the plant. Kind of weird, but I'm really enjoying this process.

Kevin

Comments (8)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

In doing a search on this forum, I did find a posting for Kalimeris 'Blue Star', but there weren't a whole lot of responses. Any experiences to report

Kevin, I planted 2 of the BStar in late 2012 (after seeing good 'reviews' of this Kalimeris on GW) and they did superbly in 2013.

6 weeks of floriferousness on a plant requiring no supplemental water and doing its stuff in lean soil.

For some pictures go through this thread from this past summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures of Kalimeris BStar in this thread

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

I only know Kalimeris incisa 'Blue Star', Kevin.

As Rouge, I found it attractive, long blooming and durable, but it got to run (maybe after the first few years) too much for me. I'd now use Boltonia 'Jim Crockett' (also blue, equally long lasting and compact over years) instead.

Don't know if Kalimeris integrifolia would get to be a runner in our flower beds (tends to be rich soil).

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    10 years ago

I have both Blue Star and Daisy Mae. They both have very long bloom seasons and are equally healthy. Blue Star can be sheered thru out the season to keep shorter without losing any bloom time. It also has flowers from top to bottom and all the way around not just the sunny side. Daisy Mae is just as lovely but more on the wild side. She starts blooming a little later as she seems to want to grow taller first. I try every year to keep it a bit shorter but it won't bloom again till it regains the height I removed. I dig it up at least every two years and replant smaller pieces. I just like it that way better. That way can let it look wilder without it taking up to much room. In the right spot it's a great plant.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

'Jim Crockett' (also blue, equally long lasting and compact over years)

Thanks for mentioning this SB. I have seen this plant at garden centres and I couldnt tell it apart from KBS.

I am not too concerned that KBS will run as its location in the garden is such that almost the more, the better.

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Rouge, meant to mention.

Know you're not so concerned, but my experience with 'Blue Star' running in our garden is:

I found it very easy to pull up. The runners were very much at the surface in our beds. I've certainly found mint more difficult to pull up.

Sounds like you may have it in your public-secret garden!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

rouge - Those are nice photos. I like it - lots!

Sunny - It's interesting you mentioned Boltonia. I haven't grown this in years and years and when I did, it just didn't do well for me and looked a bit ratty when it bloomed, so I got rid of it. But that was years ago and probably a different variety, so I may want to try it again and maybe in a better location than it was planted before.

patty - Thanks for the tip on the running habit. As long as it doesn't try to take over the world, that doesn't bother me.

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Kevin, interesting for me too;
    my use of Boltonia (false aster) has probably been rather similar to yours. I used to plant the species Boltonia asteroides, but haven't for years.

In my case, I came to find that it wasn't showy enough.

I've also used B. asteroids var. latisquama 'Snowbank', which I've also forgotten.

But I still have B. asteroids var. latisquama 'Jim Crockett', which I don't see listed with the Royal Horticultural Society (good standard for names).

I've seen 'Jim Crockett' described as "semi-dwarf Boltonia". It is short and more compact than other Boltonia species/cultivars and it does bloom a long time. I've had it for at least five years in two places in our own mixed perennial garden and have now allowed those plants to get a bit shaded by taller summer perennials. Still I feel they're worth me rescuing (moving) them in 2014.

I was rather proud for maintaining the rare Illinois and Mississippi River Boltonia decurrens (claspingleaf doll's daisy, one name) in our garden; tall and pinkish flower.
    Still after about five years it kicked the bucket, so I didn't turn out to be the great conservationist after all!

Seriously though, I would say that 'Jim Crockett' is a useful perennial.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sunny - Yep, 'Snowbank' is what I grew before. Also 'Pink Beauty' which in my experience was even more pathetic than 'Snowbank'. I remember tall, lanky stems which flopped at the slightest breeze and flowers just not that impressive.

Kevin