Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

new dog new dog!

User
9 years ago

My excuse for failing to post (or even think) about gardening - we have a new puppy. After our ancient collie died in March, we honestly imagined we were going into senility dog-free. Why, I cannot imagine since we have had dogs our entire lives but grief, you know...plus Lila never put a foot wrong in her whole life and we were unsure we would ever be able to find such a rariety again. But hey, months fly by, the woods are huge and empty and the many sofas in our house were in need of a slumping canine to loll about.
So, welcome Hazel (named for the tree).

Comments (17)

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

campanula- I am so happy for you!
    I understand well the grief that comes from loosing a beloved pet and the joy that comes in getting a new one (I once went for 5 years between dogs).
    Now your woods will be alive with Hazel running and barking and your sofa(s) warmed by her.
    She is a beautiful pup!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    9 years ago

Losing a beloved dog is hard indeed - but a new puppy is a joy! She looks beautiful; tell us more about her (breed etc....) I'm sure your new garden buddy will be happy running the trails in your woods. A puppy is a great way to get the new year off to a rousing start for you all. Have fun with her - and we expect to see lots more of her in you garden pictures from now on :-)

• linaria_gw
    9 years ago

Hi campanula
    that is great
    I always loved dogs but dont have the time or space to keep one properly ( even though my two kids keep coming up with amazing ideas how to take care of a dog while we are at work...)

What breed is it, any hunting skills? I once heard on BBC gardener's question time a lady tell about her Border collie which got into the habit of tracking slugs or pointing them out for her...

Have a great spring,

Bye, Lin

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

The look in your puppy's eyes is to be cherished. Don't worry mom and dad I'll learn the rules as I get on in age.

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

awwwwww---sigh------awwwwwwwww, ooo---ooh camps, Widdle gurl wooks weellie weelie kute. I bet the wee tyker is a hand-full of bouncing energy huh?

Congrats on being new parents!

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Congratulations...now you remember the puppy training agonies, like house breaking, chewing on inappropriate things, running exuberantly and breaking things.

Still they're cute...those little parasites (and I have two of my own)...so I'm all bark and no bite :)

It's just that I tend to forget the bad....lol

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

What a cutie, a great little companion for years to come. We lost our little Cairn terrier a couple of years ago, so we're down to one kitty now. You know what they say, dogs have masters and cats have staff, so true LOL.

Enjoy,
    Annette

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ho yes, the first couple of nights!! She is from working sheepdog stock from Wales...but the idea of pedigree is laughable. Nonetheless, she is smart. After 9 days, she has got the hang of a dog flap to outside, where she goes to poo (although weeing is still an indoor newspaper number) and we tend to let her romp about the house with a choice of sofas and the end of the bed. Naturally, I tried leaving her downstairs but the heartbreaking whining just seemed wrong for a baby...although I spent several nights on one of the sofas myself.
    I fear the garden is doomed - it will be almost a month before all her vaccinations allow us to go for walks and by then, watching the gleeful destruction of an agapanthus and a geum yanked out of the beds, I expect a lunar landscape of devastation, especially since she is keen on that sheepdog thing of caching stuff (for later delectation, the muddier, the better). All socks are fair game, including ones stolen from the laundry bin...yep, it is all coming back to me. She knows her name and (more or less) comes when called and it only seems to take a couple of repetitions for stuff to penetrate her little canine brain, so the potential is all there - it is up to us to enable her to utilise it.
    Forgive the excited waffling, I am knackered and slightly hysterical.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I understand....lol, and wish you happiness.
    My Australian Shepherds were pretty easy to train to keep out of the flower bed, but I've had issues with them from time to time...like burying of a bone/toy, or gee that plants smells nice...let me dig it up and chew on it.
    I have to relearn them where my beds are now that I've recently moved...and they seem to find the beds the BEST place to run (sigh).

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    9 years ago

Even in profile your beautiful Hazel looks like a very smart pup. Sheepdogs usually are. We have a sheepdog/shepherd mix and he is the fastest learning and most well behaved dog we have ever had. That's not to say we didn't lose some parts of our wardrobes and many garden glove, hats (and gardens) until he grew up a little but he was very worth it! I agree, we need some more photos of Hazel enjoying your gardens. Congratulations on your newest best friend. Min

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I agree she looks smart. Good luck of the draw. She looks like there will be a calm dog once she matures.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

So cute! It's always nice to have a buddy that likes hanging out in the garden with you. Hazel looks like a little charmer who will be a lot of fun to have around.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    9 years ago

I was curious about 'working sheepdog stock from Wales' since the only dog I associate with Wales is a Corgi - so I Googled looking for dogs that looked like Hazel (e.g. the ones here:
    http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/437843-welsh-sheepdog-pups-for-sale-caerphilly.html ) That led me to find the Welsh Sheepdog Society (see link below...) If that's what Hazel is, it sounds like you've got yourself a great dog, rivaling the Border Collie for intelligence and charm! You'll definitely have to keep us posted on her progress!

Here is a link that might be useful: Welsh Sheepdog Society

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cheers, Woodyoak,

Yep, we had initially been ever-so-slightly sceptical, confronted with the frankly unusual red colouring (and having had a border collie of traditional black and white). But we are excited by her intelligence (although less thrilled with the pooing and biting) - she is bold, but not reckless and we are looking forward to letting her race about the wood and training her to be a fine dog.

• lesmc
    9 years ago

Congrats...she is perfect! I have a 5 month old pup and I must say, I had forgotten the work involved with a puppy. Well worth the work. Lesley

• catkin
    9 years ago

Very happy for you, Camp!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

What a cute girl!