Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Do you see members' email addresses?

I have noticed for awhile now that when I get email notification for threads I think the poster's email is revealed. Do you see that also? It hasn't always been like this and for privacy reasons I don't like it

Comments (14)

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

rouge, I am curious if you can see mine. I don't have it on my member page. Three years ago I had my facebook page invaded and dropped off of it altogether. I learned that its best to delete, avoid or leave any computer situation that seems unfriendly or harmful. I don't like this at all.

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

...you should be able to alter that in your 'profile'.... I don't get email notifications as I have the box unchecked...
    ..it's at the bottom of your profile page, and you need to uncheck that box, but by doing so you won't receive email notifications of any replies either...
    also, set the box ''show my email address to''... to 'None'....

...see if that works for you...

edit... on re-reading your posts I think you both may already have done this... but if anyone else is looking in and they haven't... they might consider doing so... I think this is what you have to do... I hope so...lol...

This post was edited by Marlorena on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 13:28

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Yes, though it's a pita, because if you want to communicate with someone privately, it's a bit hard to get started.
    I also don't want my email visible to be 'harvested' for mass-mailings, but I'm not TOO anti-social.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marlorena, I bet you are correct ie one can still get notification of posts and keep some privacy if you select ''show my email address to''... to 'None'.

TR I didn't see your address when you posted. Instead it shows the generic gardenweb_user@gardenweb.com.

I am just wondering if others, whose address appears when I get notifications when they post, know this is happening?

• catkin
    9 years ago

I don't have the notification enabled but if I click to send anyone here an email, an ancient email address of mine appears with a red lettered warning saying I can email people but they couldn't respond because mine's *hidden*....

Makes it difficult to communicate without putting your info out there for the world. Many times I'd have liked to offer starts of my plants to people. Too bad this site doesn't have a Private Messaging system.

What do you say, Mods? Any chance of getting PM set up?

• tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
    9 years ago

How about with the new format? The email option seems to be gone?

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

Apparently people have to "follow" you to be able to communicate with them. GW now Houzz is the only forum I have ever been on. I have never been on Facebook so this concept seems a little creepy. I had it set before that folks could Email me and never had an issue with it. I would like to have that function back.

• Doug Durando
    9 years ago

Hi there - just as Peren.all said, you are able to send private messages to your followers via the Contact Me button on their profile page. Hope this helps!

• dbarron
    9 years ago

However, if I want to send a PM to someone who is not a follower...I'm out of luck, right ?

• Doug Durando
    9 years ago

Your best bet would be to follow them and ask them to follow you back in the forums.

• catkinZ8a
    9 years ago

Hey Doug or Dbarron, are these messages only done through emailing one another?

• dbarron
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Often I'll see someone has a plant I want...and I'll want to setup a trade or purchase offline. Yes, I find email being the best for personal communications...not everything is appropriate for consumption by the masses (including mailing addresses).

As a consequence of that, I've currently sent personal emails (this week) to four other gardenwebbers (only one about the conversion to houzz). You develop out-of-band friendships.

• Doug Durando
    9 years ago

Hi WendyJo, they are sent through Houzz, and you can configure your email notifications to let you know when you've received a new message.