Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
april_wine01

What plants do well for you in shade and clay

april_wine
11 years ago

I have a small bed at the edge of my back yard just at the edge of woods. I am in zone 7 and have clay soil. I am wondering what does well for other gardeners with similar growing conditions. I have quite a few ferns that do really well. I also have hydrangeas, hostas, 2 types of geraniums, coral bells, daffodils and irises. Any suggestions for what to add?

Comments (12)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    11 years ago

Solomon's Seal looks good with all of those and does well in the same conditions.

• Karolina11
    11 years ago

I have Columbines and Bergenia as well. Astillbe would also be great as long as the area is not dry, such as near a tree, as that plant will not survive dry soil.

• april_wine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have been reading about bergenia. Also Lamium "White Nancy" and lungworts. I am thinking about buyin a few of these plants to try. It is dry soil but I water as needed. Moss grows in these area so may not be as dry as I think.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

In addition to those already listed, Actea (Cimicifuga or bugbane), Veronica 'Georgia Blue', Tiarella, Heucherella (Tiarella x Heuchera), Siberian iris, and Jacob's ladder. There are also shrubs and annuals if you want to consider those.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

In a small bed there is a lot to be said for repeating plants rather than dotting lots of individuals about. That said - Japanese Anemones, Dicentra (now Lamprocapnos) spectabilis, white Digitalis purpurea and ferns. White flowers or variegated foliage look good in shade.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Epimedium could be added to the list. My Lamium of choice would be Herman's Pride. Variegated Solomon's Seal, to be sure. If your geraniums and iris are doing well, daylily may also do well.

tj

• april_wine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like the look of cimifuga but afraid it will not do well in our hot & humid summers here.But I think tiarella will do good. Flora...thanks for the heads up regarding bed looking better with repeating plants. You are so right and maybe that is what I need to focus more on. I am definitely looking at more variegated foliage. Tsugajunkie...I like your suggestion of epimedium too! I had to move the daylilies from this bed due to not receiving enough sun. Thanks everyone for your suggestions! You all have been most helpful!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

I would agree with Solomon's Seal, Tiarellas, Dicentra spectabilis, and the Lamium that is my favorite is 'Purple Dragon' which has been a very good performer and has larger flowers than some of the others. My favorite is Epimedium though. I have been adding those to the garden for many years. They have been fool proof and indestructible and you can buy those that clump, rather than 'run', which I appreciate. And although they are not flashy and are out of bloom most of the season, they earn their keep for their freedom from problems and their ability to grow in any situation in my garden.

One that you might not think of, is Lunaria, a biennial, If you like reseeding. Mine will reseed under the canopy of large maples to my surprise. The Lunaria blooms at the same time as Dicentra and I love combining it with the white dicentra.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

Oh, I meant to add, Hellebore, is a very easy, and trouble free plant here too.

• april_wine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I ordered Lamium "purple Dragon", Solomon's seal, and Hellebores this morning from Santa Rosa Gardens. Excited for Spring to get here! I am not familiar with Lunaria, prairie moon, but if it reseeds, I need to read up on it. Thanks for all your help.

• april_wine
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Prairie moon, I just read about Lunaria. I had heard of money wort but didn't know they had such beautiful blooms! I am going to try to find me some Lunaria! Thanks!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

Your welcome, April, good luck! I don't have time right now, but tomorrow I will try to post a photo of the Lunaria I have in the garden.