Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justkristyj

Clematis question

justkristyj
10 years ago

I posted this over on the clematis forum, but it looks like that forum may be dormant right now:) I recently bought 2 clematis and put them in a window sill because we are still getting freezing temps, mostly at night. One of the clematis is putting out a lot of new growth. My question is do clematis require a period of dormancy to do well in the spring? If so, should I put the pots outside? Any help would be appreciated!

Comments (5)

• linaria_gw
    10 years ago

Are those common, average plants or evergreen, more tender species of C?

In general I would always try to keep such plants outdoors as they tend to get all kind of pests indoors.

Is the soil not frozen so that you could plant them?

A light frost at night shouldn't harm them.

I read the instruction in an book on Clems that you should plant them so deep that the lowest 2 or 3 buds/ nodes are in the soil.

The shoots are then trimmed back to 1 foot regardless of flowering type/ pruning class.

Always worked for me. Add some mulch, leaf litter, branches whatever

Not sure about your climate but IME hardy plants tend to suffer if overwintered indoors.

Bye, Lin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

one would expect ... that they would be sold at the appropriate planting time... and have just come out of dormancy ...

but i do see headlines of Tx freezing... and that is not good for actively growing plants ...

i would suggest the garage for a few weeks.. until you are sure the weather is getting better ...

though it should be able to handle anything your zone will give out... when it goes normally dormant in fall ...

it is not good for it to get damaged.. going back into dormancy ... after sprouting in spring ...

the garage should be protection enough .. just to keep it from freezing ... anything above 40 degrees ...

and yes.. an actual latin name.. perhaps off the tag.. would help define precise instructions ...

ken

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

See my reponse to your post in Clematis forum :-)

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

You've received good advice from the above posters. Keep in mind that plants are normally dormant for at least part of the cold season in any climate zone.

One of the clematis is putting out a lot of new growth. My question is do clematis require a period of dormancy to do well in the spring?

Chances are it's putting out new growth because it's indoors which isn't normal (or optimal) for the plant. Perennials, including clematis, go dormant in winter based on climatic conditions affected by hours of daylight + air/soil temperature. Indoor temperatures + artificial light don't replicate seasonal growing conditions.

To answer your question: I'm in a much colder zone but it has been my observation that clematis (like other perennials) DOES need a period of dormancy as part of its natural growing cycle.

I would echo Ken and recommend you move the plants to a garage/sheltered carport and let them do what comes naturally. In my experience, that's generally what works best. The new growth that's being produced by one plant may or may not survive but should not sound the death knell for the plant once it has a chance to establish a natural & optimal growing cycle.

• justkristyj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your information. The name of the clematis is "Sweet Summer Love". I have already put it out as recommended.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz