Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Campfire Roses, anyone grow them?

Posted by boday 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 14:04

I'm really intrigued by these. There's not much information on them, out there and I thought someone on here might have some experience with them. Mostly interested in how often they rebloom and general experience. They're a Morden product so hardiness is a given.

This post was edited by boday on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 14:06

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Campfire Roses, anyone grow them?

Don't see why not - looks like a fairly basic floribunda to me (and not remotely to my taste either) but I do appreciate why hardiness is such an issue for those of you in northern climes...and this one does seem to fit the bill. There are a surprising number of roses which can be grown in Z3 and even Z2 - I think climbers are a bit trickier as many will be killed to the soil level. A number of once flowering roses, which bloom on older wood are also impossible for those in chilly climates.

o

might want to ask the same in the rose forum ...

ken

o

The only problem that I can see with this lovely rose is disease resistance. Do you by any chance have Sunrise Sunset a baileys rose. It would be crown hardy for you. It's continuous bloom, disease free and grows each year to 3x4.( more as she ages) Many Kordes roses would also be crown hardy and totally healthy. Just throw some mulch or straw over the crown in winter for the first year or two while they beef up their crown and roots. Buy them own root for extra hardiness. If you don't mind spraying Campfire is a great rose.

o

I have the (low brow) carpet roses incorporated into flower beds. In this zone they're a novelty. Overwintering is pretty straightforward. Plant four inches below grade - in the fall, cut the canes to twelve inches and tie together. Cover with egg case cardboard boxes and pack in chopped leaves. In the spring most canes are still green. Never had losses. Information was on GW and other northern sites.

o

Found more information on Campfire rose and they are suppose to be disease resistant. Looks pretty good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here