Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
groomguy

Wedding

groomguy
9 years ago

So, for our wedding which is in june I had a fun idea. I wanted to have a seed bar for our favor. Give everyone a little pouch and let them go to the seed bar where we have like 10 bowls of seeds which a picture of the flowers. The people can than pick a variety of perreniel seeds to take home and plant and every year when the flowers come back they will think of us and our wedding. Only problem is this, we don't really know a lot about seeds. I can find adds for "Heirloom 4000 Seeds Moroccan Toadflax Linaria Baby Snapdragon Garden Flower Bulk." Will But how much volume is there that we ca we ca't fgure!!

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

who knew.. there is a wedding forum ... lol ...

i really dont understand your question ...

are you asking how many seeds in a bag of 4000??? ... and that could be anywhere from a shot glass full.. to a bushel basket ....

or how much volume in a bulk container????

i never heard of this... but my first thought was .. well.. never mind that.. my second thought was.... go prepackaged ... purchase packages of already mixed seeds ...

one would think ... that solves all your problems of making a self serve bar ... which could end up being a nightmare ... wind outdoors.. some kid spilling bowls full ... etc ..

see link

good luck with the wedding ... i figured this was the typical.. i want to grow my own flowers.. but i dont know how to garden type posts ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I'm not in the States, so can't really help you. But I would steer well clear of that vendor. (I Googled them) They are using pictures of 5 different random species of Linaria but not giving any kind of correct name to the actual seeds they are touting. 'Baby Snapdragon' means absolutely nothing. You could end up with anything at that price and very possibly not perennials. Looking at their other offerings they appear to be a bunch of charlatans preying on the unwary new gardener. They spray about words like 'heirloom', 'rare', organic' and their descriptions are tantamount to misselling. I'd go to a proper seed company and obtain correctly named packs.

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

I'll second floral_uk's caution to buy proven seeds rather than anything from the above suspect vendor. There are reliable Internet seed sources--Swallowtail Garden Seeds & Diane's Flower Seeds are both highly-rated (by customers) seed sources. Both sell perennial as well as annual seed types.

You don't want your wedding guests raising their fists and cursing you after planting the seeds in their gardens.

It wouldn't hurt to do a little checking at your local library. Chances are they'll have some garden books that will give you a list of Top Ten Perennials favored by gardeners. Things like Echinacea/coneflower, Phlox, Penstemon/beardtongue, Leucanthemum/Shasta daisy, Platycodon/balloon flower, Salvia and Dianthus/carnation come to mind as popular, long-lived, low/no-care perennials that are easily grown from seed.

Keep in mind all plants have a botanical/Latin name which may bear little resemblance to the name printed on the seed packet. Only the botanical name will provide accurate information on what the seeds can/will do once planted in folks' gardens.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

In my experience not more than 10% of those given seeds will actually plant them. Unless you know your guests to be garden people, I think your proposal will be a disappointment. Al

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

I did seed favors for my wedding a couple years ago, but I did it a little differently. I took the seeds, made up little paper packets of them as a "sample size", and did a bunch of different packets in homemade origami boxes and labeled them "garden in a box, take me home and grow me". A few folks took one or two, but I had a handful left over- I ended up giving those away here on GW either in trade or newbie packets.
    I also used recycled soup cans and grew a bunch of herbs for favors, and those all pretty much went- I think people knew what to do with live plants better than just seeds. You could do that with a perennial of some sort.

• grandmamaloy
    9 years ago

Here is a really good place to get seeds in bulk, complete with growing instructions that you will also want to provide your guests. This is a great idea, by the way. Anyway, these seeds are fresh, they have an exceptional germination rate and I think if you call this company directly, you may be able to work a deal with them. I've called and talked to them on occasion and they were always helpful. Using a trusted vendor is important for your guests to have success growing their seeds. On the seed bar...say how much sun the flowers need, how much moisture, how big they get and provide a good picture. I think you can copy the pics off this site to use on your seed bar. Have fun with this! Another idea? Maybe buy plants that are the same as the seeds to have on the seed bar instead of just photos...though to have them all blooming when you want them to could be problematic and one more thing to worry about while stressing over all the details of a wedding...but a though. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Source for seeds and advice

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

For my medical school graduation, my mom used live pansies as table decorations and let the guests take them home, if they wanted. You could wintersow several favorite perennials and have them in Dixie cups with growing instructions paper clipped to each plant. I love the seed idea, but I agree that many guests won't go to the trouble of planting them, especially since June is a bit past ideal planting time for most folk. Best wishes for a wonderful day.

Martha

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?