Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
aster frikartii Monch seeds

Posted by jan5_2007 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 29, 09 at 14:52

Does anyone know where I can purchase seeds for Aster Frikartii "Monch?
I bought a plant a few years ago and loved it but since it's not usually hardy here in Michigan, I'd like to try growing them from seed so I can have plenty of them!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: aster frikartii Monch seeds

Aster frikartii 'Monch' should not be available to propagate by seed, as it is a clone.

Any seed labelled as A. frikartii is likely A. amellus, and if not, will be highly variable.

o

It is also a hybrid, a cross between A. amellus and A. thomsonii. Hybrid seeds seldom - if ever - come true to form and will often revert back to one of the parents, as CPG notes. Flower color can be quite variable also, ranging from purples to pinks and blues. You may get some decent plants from seed but they will not be 'Monch'.

It should be hardy in your zone but needs to be sited in very well draining soils in full sun. Soils that remain overly wet in winter could be the problem. And mulching will help.

o

Why not try growing some of the native asters, such as shortii, oolentangiensis, oblongifolius 'October Skies', New England (e.g.Purple Dome), or one of the New York hybrids? I have these, as well as Monch, and the only difference is that Monch starts blooming a bit earlier.

Here is a link that might be useful: aster oolentangiensis

o

I am in zone 6 and "Monch" doesn't overwinter for me. Maybe it's just a short-lived perennial.

o

It's one of those plants that can't read, so doesn't know how it is supposed to behave. Since I've apparently done just about everything wrong with this one, it's been around for practically ever.

Heavy clay, lots of water, partial shade....

o

So that's why I have never gotten seedlings off of them (and I do want them!).

I have had my plant for five years or more. Never had any trouble with hardiness. It is actually one of the only Asters that I have had luck with. The soil here is very sandy, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Could you maybe try taking cuttings of your plant for the next year?
CMK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here