Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudgrma

Tools for arthritic hands

proudgrma
15 years ago

I'm looking for a few garden tools for those of us who have arthritic hands, especially thumbs. My therapist mentioned pruners that work with a "rachet" system. Any resources/ideas you have are appreciated.

Comments (6)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

These are a little pricey but I love the handles on these, my hands are not arthritic yet but aren't strong. I have the edging tool with the ergonomic handle and I love it, my hands don't cramp up when using it. I don't know why Lee Valley doesn't have the edger, it's the strongest one I've ever owned.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Ergonomic Handles

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

The brand name for the tools Annette linked to is 'Radius' and they make a complete set of hand tools as well. They are carried by a lot of the better garden centers in my area. I like 'em very much myself and the lime green handles show up well when you're working in the garden.....hard to misplace :-)

I have a lot of arthritis in my hands as well and wouldn't be without my Felco #7 pruners with a rotating handle. These are very easy on the hands and also wards off the repetitve motion issues common to those doing a lot of pruning. I think this is what your therapist was referring to by "racheting" pruners. These are not inexpensive but do have a lifetime warranty and I've enjoyed mine for about 20 years - I consider them an excellent investment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Felcos with rotating, ergonomic handle

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

Ratcheting pruners are pruners with ratchets. Fiskars and Corona both make one, and a quick search will come up with online catalogs. They aren't particularly expensive.

Years ago, when my DD was about 3, we were at a rose pruning seminar. One of the demonstrators had a pair of ratchet loppers, and DD got her little hands on those and proceeded to cut every single piece of clipping into about a 3" piece. At least it kept her quiet.

• Donna
    15 years ago

I have mild arthrits in my hands and really feel it after a long session of gardening sometimes. I discovered Corona hand trowels several years ago and love them. They put far less strain on my hands than any I have used.

I'm going to check out your felcos, gardengal. I have had the straight Felcos for at least twenty years too, but the rotating handle sounds like an improvement. I'm to the point of needing two hands to make any but the smallest cuts.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I have Fiskars PowerGear loppers that I found at Wal-Mart for limbs up to 2 inches. The gears sure make a difference. It makes it feel like you're cutting through something soft instead of a tree limb. They make smaller hand pruners too. You'll want to be sure and get the ones that say 3x PowerGEAR instead of 2x PowerLEVER or standard. I think the 3x means, you only need 1/3 the pressure to cut compared to standard pruners. Here's the link for their pruners. Theres a link for loppers on the left side of the page. I'm not sure whether Walmart would have these yet or if all the Walmarts even carry the PowerGear type.
    My dad used my loppers and loved them so I got him the same kind for Father's Day last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fiskars PowerGear pruners

• Marie Tulin
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone for this thread with info and links. After a few hours of just holding a paintbrush, my hands were cramped and aching. I was thinking about gardening season and feeling a little worried. With this info and my red "theraputty" (silly putty for hand rehab)I should be more ready.