Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshtx

Propagating 'Grapes' Gomphrena

joshtx
10 years ago

Hey all, new the to the forum here. I usually lurk about on the Antique Roses forum.

I recently acquire a single 'Grapes' Gomphrena when I took a trip out of town. It's a beautiful plant, but I haven't the slightest idea how to propagate it. I'd like to raise some more so I can use them to fill in a bed. Any and all help is appreciated!

Josh

Comments (14)

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

Gomphrenas are annuals here, but they reseed nicely. I looked this one up, and it seems it will get quite large if it isn't hit by frost, up to 4 X 4 according to one site. So that would fill a bed.

• User
    10 years ago

Seed, Josh. This is an easy annual if you have reliable night temperatures or sow it fairly late, like zinnias.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

I think Josh is referring to Gomphrena decumbens, not the usual Gomphrena most of us have grown as annuals.

From the little Googling I did, there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of info out there about this plant, but I didn't look very hard. I did find one reference about it being a gentle reseeder, so that's probably the best route. I also found a comment about growing these from cuttings, but no details were given.

It looks to be a very cool plant and very drought tolerant. Congrats on finding it.

Kevin

• User
    10 years ago

Nonetheless, all of the amaranths are generally easy (and prolific) from seed so, I would suggest that you let yours bloom and collect a good few seeds (sow them immediately) to overwinter and flower the following year.

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Camp,

I'll definitely keep the seeds around. How do I collect the seed pods? I must admit I have never sown by seed before. If it isn't a rose, I haven't the slightest idea how to propagate it.

Josh

P.S. Ogrose and I were talking over lunch the other day, and we both agreed that your posts about your allotment and the vast amount of seeds you plant make us fantasize about wide forests and meadows of endless color. Lol

• dodgerdudette
    10 years ago

If it is Gomphrena decumbens it will re-seed (in my climate) and it perennial-ized for me. I grew it for a few years. Very cool plant , but it is sprawly and a 'see-through' ; the flowers are quite small. Annies has it.

Kathy in Napa

Here is a link that might be useful: Gomphrena decumbens at Annies

• User
    10 years ago

What I often do, Josh, is the lazy way........buy one plant and let it run to seed. Grub about underneath the plant to look for tiny seedlings. Dig up and either keep in a pot or transplant to where you want it.

I don't know how to do links but The Seed Site has a massive amount of info about sowing seeds....and most helpfully, a great number of images of the tiny seedlings.

You should be aware, Josh, that, judging by your rose mania (addiction), you will be helpless against the grip of seed sowing. In a very short time, you will be drooling over seed packets and all your pockets will have permanent stashes of seed. The fridge will be full while every flat surface, indoors or outside, will have pots or seed-trays taking every inch of space. You will love it!

• joshtx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kathy,

That's it! Unfortunately I think it may have succumbed to the cold last night. I just went outside and it looked pretty sad. That and the Ruellia. I've brought them in to nurse them so we'll see if they come back to life.

Camp,

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I was almost seduced by seeds earlier in the year, but the fear that I may not be able to make them germinate and sprout kept my pockt book secure. Some day, though, when I have a big tract of land, I will sow with wild abandon.

Josh

• User
    10 years ago

course you will get them to germinate - you've just done cuttings....and they are trickier.

• sfmathews
    10 years ago

I have been looking for this plant for several years. Texas Discovery Gardens in Dallas used to sell it at their yearly plant sale, but no more. Annie's website shows it to be sold out. Does anyone have any suggestions on where else it can be located? Or would anyone be willing to part with a few seeds?
    Thanks!
    Susan

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I have been lurching and I thought I would chime in.

Barton Springs Nursery In Austin TX sold them this month and I killed mine in this last freeze. They stay perennial if the winter is not that cold. The other types of gomphrena blooms have the seeds between the straw textured blooms petals and if you break them up on the ground, they will seed themselves. This was my first attempt at this type. I will stop by there again to see if they have more.

• sara82lee
    10 years ago

I just picked this plant up today - a six-pack. Didn't say what the specific variety was. Just "Purple" at the top of the tag, and described 18 inches tall, space 10 inches apart. Of course the first thing I did after I bought it was search for it here :)

Any way, it sounds like they are super - easy to collect seed from, so even though I don't have any now, I should have some this fall.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

The ones that I thought were dead in the last freeze are coming up from the roots YEA!!!.